Early Settlement | Organization | County Seat Troubles
Part 2: Investigation of Treasurer Van Sickle
The Agricultural Society | Progress of the County | Storms
Prosperity of the County | Schools | Public Buildings
Part 3: Kearney Junction: Troubles with Cowboys
The Murder of Milton M. Collins
Part 4: Kearney Junction (cont.): Criminal | Bank Failure
Religious | Lodges and Societies | The Press | Education
Business Interests | Buda (Kearney Station).
Part 5: Kearney (cont.): Biographical Sketches
Part 6: Kearney (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 7: Kearney (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 8: Gibbon: Biographical Sketches
Part 9: Shelton: Biographical Sketches
List of Illustrations in Buffalo County Chapter
L. D. GRANT, dealer in fancy goods, stationery, etc., Post Office Building. Established the business in October, 1879; he first located in Schuyler, Neb., in the spring of 1870, and engaged in gardening and farming two years; then moved to Kearney in 1872, and engaged in the same business until he began his present business. He was born in Monroe County, N. Y., May 14, 1831, and was raised as a farmer. His parents moved to Michigan when he was three years old; living then with adopted parents, he farmed from eighteen years of age until he was thirty. He moved to Armada, Mich., and clerked and followed various kinds of clerking. He was married in the latter place, in October, 1865, to Jennie Frazier, of Armada; they have one daughter-Ella J.--now married to Mr. F. G. Keens, of Kearney. Mr. Grant erected the first dwelling house in Kearney, Neb.
CHARLES E. HANSON, dealer in all kinds of agricultural implements, and deals largely in broom corn seed, etc. Opened the business in the spring of 1882. He was born in Sweden November 19, 1855; came to America, arriving in Chicago, Ill., May 25, 1869. Worked at farming the first five years in Illinois; followed teaming two years; spent the winter of 1877-78 in Chicago, Ill., and went to Nebraska the following spring, and settled in Phelps Center, Phelps County, Neb. He soon became Postmaster in the place, and served as such until December, 1881; thence to Kearney, Neb. He was married in Phelps County, Neb., in the spring of 1880, to Miss Ida H. Halgren, of Sweden; they have one son--Arthur E.
J. D. HAWTHORNE, dealer in a general line of watches, clocks and jewelry, silver and plated ware. Opened business in Kearney in May, 1878, and carries a stock equal to $3,500. He was born in Thorald, C. W., June 23, 1853. He began the jewelry business at age of fifteen, and first opened business in Vinton, Iowa, in 1871, where he continued until 1878, then removed his stock to Kearney. He learned the jewelry and watch trade in Cedar Rapids Iowa, in 1866. He was married in Vinton, Iowa, in 1875, to Miss L. J. Gwinn, of the latter place. They have two children--Nellie and Lillian. He is a member of the Masonic order of Kearney, also of the A. O. U. W., of Vinton, Iowa.
RICHARD HIBBERD, manufacturer of brick, builder and contractor, opened his brick-yard in August, 1880, which comprises eight acres of ground. He employs from sixteen to fifty men in the manufacture of brick, with a capacity of 40,000 hand-made brick per day, and about twenty-five men in building in the business season. He erected the brick work of the State Reform School, High School Building, Presbyterian Church, store buildings for L. R. More, store for C. R. Finch, and Roberts Bros. new bank building, and a large dwelling for ex-Mayor Campbell, also the deaf and Dumb Asylum at Omaha, Neb., all of which he has erected since he settled in Kearney. He has made and laid 2,500,000 brick since living in the latter city. He was born in North Staffordshire Eng., April 12, 1845. Came to America in June, 1863. Was married in England, in 1870, to Miss Emma M. Gould. They have five children--John Clement, Charles Francis, Elma M., William Eris and Lucy. He enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Forty-seventh Illinois Regiment, and served thirteen months during: the late rebellion.
[Portrait of F. G. Hamer.]
FRANCIS G. HAMER, of the firm of Hamer & Conner, attorneys and counselors, was born near Fostoria, Ohio, February 20 1843. He began the study of law at the age of 18, at his home near Delphi, Ind. At nineteen, he entered the law office of Perrin & Manlove, of Indianapolis, Ind., where he remained until he was twenty-one, and until after he was admitted to the bar. He then spent some time with his parents on the farm, after which he was engaged for a short time in the real estate business at Chicago, Ill. After prospecting in the great West some months, he located at Lincoln, Neb., on the 7th of January, 1870, and at once began the practice of the law. On the 1st of April, 1872, he formed a partnership with the Hon. A. H. Conner, who had just removed from Indianapolis, Ind. On the 30th of the following May he removed to Kearney, to which place his partner, Conner, also removed in the following October. Mr. H. was married at Eddyville, Iowa, to Miss R. A. McCord, of Delphi, Ind., on the 6th of December, 1869; they have two children--Thomas T. and Grace J. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was the first lawyer to locate at Kearney, where he has established a lucrative practice, and is known throughout the State as a diligent lawyer and earnest advocate. He has successfully defended in several important murder trials, and has also been employed in many other cases of public interest, both civil and criminal.
J. M. HOPWOOD, firm of A. L. Hopwood ; Bro., dealers in general line drugs, paints, oils, etc. Opened the trade in November, 1878. Carries a stock worth from $7,000 to $9,000. Mr. J. M. Hopwood has a drug and grocery store in Phelps Center, Phelps County. Also handles agricultural implements, wagons, etc. Opened the business there in August, 1881. Mr. H. first located in Kearney County, Neb., on a land claim September, 1874. He was born in Greensburg, Greene County, Penn., September 9, 1845. He was brought up a merchant until the age of sixteen. He enlisted in Company F, Twenty-second Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry. Participated in the battle of Winchester September 19, 1864, and was wounded in the right shoulder. Was mustered out in Savannah, Ga., July 5, 1865. He engaged in farming until he was twenty-five years of age. He then entered a drug store as clerk, and learned the drug business thoroughly. He then went to Vinton, Benton County, where he was in the drug business until he came to Nebraska. Was married, in Iowa County, Iowa, in 1867, to Miss Hannah E. Tufts, of that county. They have four children--William D., Charles W., deceased, James M., deceased, Olive C. and Alonzo L., and an infant son, Arthur Garfield.
J. H. IRVIN, proprietor of the Grand Central Hotel. The building is two stories high, 50x75 feet, contains twenty-six rooms, and can accommodate fifty guests. Employ ten persons about the hotel. Mr. I. located in Kearney, Neb., in December, 1874, and became proprietor of the above hotel, keeping the same four years, after which he rented the house and engaged in the stock business in Custer County, sixty-five miles northwest of Kearney. He now owns a cattle ranch, consisting of 150 head of cattle. He has made the stock business a specialty from December, 1874, until February, 1881, when he returned to the hotel, and has since kept the same. He was born in Danville, Ky., June 1, 1831. Was raised on a farm. He lived in Kentucky until he was seventeen years of age, at which time he went to Rushville, Ill., and engaged in the manufacture of brooms until 1855, after which he engaged in merchandising, speculating, etc., until he came to Nebraska.
LOUIS S. IRVIN, attorney at law, also collecting and loan agent, opened the business in November, 1879; he was born in Rushville, Ill., October 14, 1858; he learned broom making at an early age, and worked at the same until he was about nineteen years of age. Began the study of law in the fall of 1877, in Kearney, Neb., in the law office of Worthen & Elsworth, where he remained one year, then entered the law office of Samuel L. Savidge, and remained until the fall of 1879; was admitted to the bar of the District Court in November of the same year; he then began practicing law, and has since continued, he first came to Nebraska in April, 1875. Was married in Bismarck, D. T., in May, 1881, to Miss Fannie S. Culbertson, of Peoria, Ill., a daughter of the late Maj. A. Culbertson.
DR. C. A. JACKSON, practicing physician and surgeon, came to Hooper, Neb., and located in practice in 1876, where he remained three years; then to Osceola and practiced until October 7, 1881, when he located in Kearney, where he established an office, and where he has since lived. He was born in Stockholm, Sweden, February 28, 1835; began the study of medicine at the age of twenty-one years, entering the Upsala Institute, of Sweden, and graduated March 29, 1859; then practiced until 1865, when he emigrated to America, locating in Chicago, Ill., until 1871, then practiced in La Crosse, Wis., until 1873, then came to Nebraska as before stated.
JAMES JENKINS, dealer in boots and shoes, known as the Chicago Boot and Shoe Store. Established in business in June, 1881; employs two men, and carries a stock worth $3,000. He first located in Kearney Precinct on a homestead, March 22, 1872, and followed farming until he opened the above business. He was born in Wales March 11, 1848; came to America in 1855 with his parents, locating in Dartford, Green Lake Co., Wis.; lived there nineteen years. He began learning the boot and shoe business in 1863. He enlisted September 12, 1864, in Company K, Forty-third Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry; was mustered out in Nashville, Tenn.; then followed farming and shoe-making until he came to Nebraska; worked at his trade in Charles City, Iowa, in 1869-70. He was married in Markesan, Wis., January 1, 1868, to Miss Emma L. Morse, of Seneca Falls, N. Y. They have had two children--Frank B. and Florence L. His first wife died August 12, 1875, at Kearney; he was again married July 15, 1877, to Miss Mary E. Morrison, of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, they have three children--Charles A., Paul B. and Noble E. Mr. J. is a member of Sedgwick Post, No. 1, G. A. R.
[RESIDENCE OF F. G. KEENS.]
FRANCIS G. KEENS, insurance and loan agency; also life and fire insurance. Opened the business in 1876. He was born in Exeter, England, November 7, 1853; came alone to America in April, 1869, locating in Hillsboro, Ill., where he followed various occupations--any kind of labor--from the fact that he had no money to go any farther; he remained in the latter place about one year; then went to Lincoln, arriving in June, 1870, ahead of the railroad then being built, riding on top of a load of lumber; he then engaged as painter two and a half years in the latter city, meeting with fine success. He then settled in Kearney in July, 1872, and opened a general store, and doing an extensive business a year; he was then appointed Deputy County Clerk for Buffalo County, holding the same two years, then went into the County Treasurer's office, as Deputy, a year, after which he engaged in his present business. He does about one-third of the fire insurance and all of the life insurance of Kearney; he has done during the months of December, January and February, 1882, over $2,500,000 worth of life insurance. He was Grand Secretary for Nebraska of the I. O. G. T. seven years, and is now Secretary of Good Templars of the World. He was married in Kearney in November, 1875, to Miss Nellie Grant, of Romeo, Mich.; they have two sons--Fred and Harry. He erected the first store building in Kearney in July, 1872, and has recently erected the finest brick dwelling in Central Nebraska.
[RESIDENCE OF G. KRAMER.]
GABRIEL KRAMER, dealer in dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, tailoring and millinery. Opened the business in 1877, and carries about $80,000 worth of goods; employs nine men; store building is 22x100 feet, and store up stairs is 28x70 feet, and filled with choice goods from cellar to garret. He was born in Germany February 14, 1849; came to America in 1865, and remained one year in New York City as clerk; then came to Chicago in the same occupation ten years; he then went into business a year, after which he removed his goods to Kearney. He was married in Chicago, Ill., in September, 1876, to Miss Kittie Stein, of Chicago, Ill.; they have one daughter--Maud--born in September, 1880. Mr. K. is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Knights Templar, A., F. & A. M., of Kearney.
JOHN MAHON, dealer in live stock, owns a stock ranch forty miles north of Kearney, on the South Loup River, and now has about six hundred head of cattle. He first settled in Gibbon October 14, 1871, and was some time engaged in prospecting for a location, and in a short time came to Kearney, taking charge of the village site for the Burlington & Missouri Railroad two years, he then assisted to survey the reservation of Ft. Kearney, consisting of a tract of land ten miles square, after which he engaged in farming in the reservation. He was born in Delphi, Delaware Co., N. Y. , October 5, 1824; he was bound out as an apprentice to a machinist; served his time, and followed steam engineering on board of a man-of-war, the steamer Missouri; the latter steamer blew up, and he was transferred to the sloop-of-war Jamestown, being three years in service. He landed in California October 5, 1849, and engaged in working on ships; made some money; bought a sail boat and went up the Sacramento River, running in most all portions of the latter State; worked in the navy yard three years, taking charge of docks. He went to Idaho and kept a general store and a blacksmith-shop two years; then returned to the Eastern States. He was married in Bradford County, Penn., in March, 1869, to Miss Harriet Kellgore, of New Jersey; they have one son--William M. Mr. M. is a member of the Masonic order of California.
JOHN T. MALLALIEW, County Superintendent of Schools for Buffalo County, located in Platte County, Neb, in August, 1876, and followed teaching one year; removed to Gibbon and became Principal of the Gibbon Academy three years. He was elected County Superintendent of Schools in the fall of 1879; re-elected in the fall of 1881; moved to Kearney in the fall of 1880. He was born in Millington, Md., September 23, 1852; graduated from the Dickinson College, Carlisle, Penn., in June, 1876. Previous to that time, he had attended an academy in Wilmington, Del., working in a woolen factory, etc. He was married in Harrisburg, Penn., in 1875, to Miss Alice S. Gotwold, of Indiana; they have two children--Thomas and Mary. He is a member of the I. O. G. T. of Kearney.
W. W. MANN, brick manufacturer, contractor and builder, Kearney. All kinds of brick and stone work done.
T. M. MESSICK, dealer in grain and agricultural implements of all kinds. Opened the business in 1874, locating in Kearney in July of that year; his annual sales of implements will equal $40 000. He was born in Nicholasville, Jessamine Co., Ky., August 28, 1843; was raised as a merchant, living there until 1862. He served in the army two years under the rebel General, John Morgan. He then went to Terre Haute, Ind., and engaged in the mercantile business until 1867, when he returned to his native State and lived about a year. He was married in 1868 to Miss Emma J. Farrar, of Lexington, Ky. He went to Monroe, Jasper Co., Iowa, in 1868, and engaged in the grain and implement business until he came to Nebraska. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., of Kearney, also of a detective association of Lincoln, Neb.
ELISHA MILES, stock-raiser and farmer, located in Kearney in May 1876, and engaged in the cattle business; he owns a stock ranch between the Dismal and Little Loup Rivers, 120 miles northwest of Kearney, and has about seven hundred cattle on his ranch; he also owns a farm of 160 acres seven miles northwest of the city. He follows buying stock, trading and loaning money. He was born in Washington County, near Louisville, Ky., December 15, 1816, was raised on a farm; has followed the stock business more or less during all his life. He has been in the mercantile business three times during his life, and in the banking business once. He lived in Harrison County, Ind., about eight years; moved to Sangamon County, Ill., in the fall of 1829, with his parents, and lived two years, and moved to Warren County, Ill., in 1831. He was a member of the Black Hawk war in 1832. Moved to Mercer County, Ill., in the spring of 1840. He was married in Knox County, Ill., in 1837, to Hesther Thrash, of Lawrenceburg, Ind., they have four children living--Millard F., now on their stock ranch; Harriet H., now married to Mr. McClintock and living on the old homestead in Mercer County, Ill.; Catharine, now married to I. R. Kidd, and living in Riverton, Iowa; Nancy S., now married to Mr. James C. Beswick, and living in Kearney. He was a recruiting officer during the rebellion, and held three commissions at times. He is a member of Kearney Commandery, A., F. & A. M.; he was made a Royal Arch Mason in 1854, in Mercer County Ill.
CHARLES H. MILLER, dealer in a general line of hardware, stoves and tinware; carries a stock to the value of $5,000 to supply his trade. He located and opened business in Kearney in April, 1879; he owns and has operated a branch hardware store at Minden, Neb., where he carries a stock to the value of $1,500, he opened the latter April 1, 1882. He was born in Boswell, Ohio, and has always been identified with the hardware business since he first began business life.
LUMAN R. MORE, President and proprietor of More's Bank. The above bank was established in September, 1872; the deposits average from $50,000 to $100,000 per annum; the building is 50x70 feet and two stories high. Mr. M. is also proprietor of the Kearney Flouring Mills, which have a capacity of 100 barrels in twenty-four hours; he is also the proprietor of the Grand Central Hotel and More's Block, on the south side of the railroad; the latter block was erected in 1874, by Mr. M., the size of which is 49x80 feet and two stories high, and contains the only town hall in Kearney. He also owns a large amount of real estate, etc.; he deals largely in coal and is the only party in Kearney who sells Wyoming coal. He was born in Delaware County, N. Y., September 22, 1839, and is a first cousin of the renowned Jay Gould, railroad king of the world. Mr. M. was brought up a farmer, and lived in his native county until he was twenty-five years of age; he went to Chicago, Ill., in 1867, and engaged in the lumber and planing-mill business five years, after which he sold out and became a resident of Kearney.
SIMON MURPHY, County Surveyor and City Engineer, which latter office he has filled for the past eight years. He located in Lincoln, Neb., in 1868, and engaged in farming four years; removed to Kearney in 1872, and built the first house on the village site, known as the Harold House Hotel, raising the framework August 1, 1872; completed and occupied it as a hotel September 5, 1872; that latter date was the first day that a passenger had arrived on the Burlington & Missouri Railroad. Mr. M. was the first hotel keeper on the village site, which business he followed six years; he has since been engaged in surveying and engineering. He was born in Marcellus, Onondaga Co., N. Y., May 1, 1833; he lived in New York until 1849; went to Ireland in 1852; returned and entered Oberlin College, Ohio, as a student, in 1853, where he spent five years, after which he went to Southern Ohio and taught school five years; he then went to Valparaiso, Ind., and took charge of St. Paul's Catholic School four years, being married there in 1867, to Miss Ellen Harold, of Ireland; they have four children--John S., Ann, Katie and Ellen. He was elected County Surveyor of Buffalo County in the fall of 1876, and has since held the office by re-elections.
DR. E. W. NORTHUP, practicing physician and surgeon, settled in Kearney in March, 1880, and continued practicing medicine. He was born in Warren County, Penn., in August, 1845; began the study of medicine in 1870, under Dr. C. J. Phillips, of the latter county, and remained with him until the fall of 1873; then took his first course of lectures in an Eclectic College in Philadelphia, Penn., and graduated from that institution in March, 1875. He then began the practice of medicine in Petrolia, Penn., remaining about four months; he then went to Edenburg, Clarion Co., Penn., and practiced until his removal to Kearney. He was married in Chautauqua County, N. Y., in February, 1869, to Miss Josephine Shaw, of Bush, in the latter county; they have one daughter--Alice Maude--born in August, 1879. Mr. N. is a member of the Masonic fraternity of Kearney.
WILLIAM B. OGDEN, wholesale and retail druggist opened the business in company with Dr. Chase in 1877; Mr. O. bought the entire business in November, 1881; he carries about $4,000 worth of stock to supply his trade. He was born in York, Penn., August 17, 1853; he first engaged as a printer in his native place, and followed the same about two years; he then went to Memphis, Tenn., and worked for his father in a drug store; also traveled, engaged in various occupations, until he came to Kearney. He attended the School of Pharmacy in Maryland College, Baltimore, Md.; also with his father, Dr. S. Ogden. He was married in Kearney September 27, 1880, to Miss Lulu L. Chase, of the latter city; they have one daughter--Quindero Ogden--born August 8, 1881.
EMORY PECK, County Clerk for Buffalo County, Neb., located eight miles north of the city of Kearney on a farm in the summer of 1876; he and his family lived there five years, then removed to Kearney. He was elected County Clerk in the fall of 1879, and re-elected in the fall of 1881. He was born in Madison County, N. Y., May 26,1836; he left his native State at the age of eighteen; then moved to Winnebago County, Wis.; lived there five years; then to Livingston County, Mo., and followed teaching one year, after which he moved to Clarinda, Page Co., Iowa, and was Principal of the public school one year. Enlisting in 1861, in the First Regiment Nebraska Volunteer Infantry as First Sergeant, he was soon promoted to Second Lieutenant, and soon after to First Lieutenant; participated in the battles of Shiloh and Ft. Donelson, Tenn., re-enlisted in the same regiment as a veteran, and was placed in the recruiting service with headquarters at Brownville, Neb.; he resigned some time afterward and engaged in farming in Nemaha County, Neb., four years; he then removed to Bates County, Mo., and followed farming eight years, after which he went to Buffalo County, Neb., as before noted. He was married in Winnebago County, Wis., in 1858, to Miss Frances Bunn, of New York City; they have four children--Jennie S, Elmer, Charles and Mattie B. Mr. P. is a member of Sedgwick Post, No. 1, G. A. R.
SEHON W. POWERS, Special Freight and Stock Agent for the Union Pacific Railroad, Kearney. He located in Kearney in January, 1873, and opened a stock of general merchandise, which he continued until 1876, after which he opened a general line of hardware and continued two years; he next engaged in milling a year; then his present occupation. He was born in Ellsworth, Mahoning County, Ohio, June 3, 1844; he lived in his native State until he emigrated to Nebraska. He was married in Portage County, Ohio, to Miss Martha Holly; they had two children--Miranda and John Wesley. His wife died in 1878; he was married again, January 11, 1881, in Grand Island, Neb., to Miss Sylvia L. McNish, of Berlin, Wis.; they have one son not yet named. Mr. P. is a member of the Masonic fraternity of the East.
THOMAS C. ROBERTS, dealer in general merchandise, opened business April 1, 1873; employs three clerks; carries $10,000 worth of stock to supply his trade. He located in Kearney in 1873, and immediately opened the above business. He was born in Nashville, Tenn., July 12, 1840; was brought up a grocer, living the latter city until 1863; then moved to St. Joseph, Mo., and engaged as book-keeper in a wholesale grocery house eight years. His father, William Roberts, was born in 1800, in New Haven, Conn., went to Nashville, Tenn., when he was twenty-one years of age; lived there until 1863, and moved near St. Joseph, Mo., on a farm, and to this day is noted for being a hale and hearty man. Thomas C. Roberts was married in St. Joseph, Mo., September 19, 1866, to Miss Annie M. Flint, of the latter city; they have two children-- Emmie S. and Annie M. Mr. R. is a member of the I. O. O. F., of Kearney. He owns some of the finest blooded fast stock that can be found in the West, among which is the celebrated Orphan Boy; he has also several other fine colts, which bid fair to eclipse any of the fast stock in the Great West.
DANIEL, W. ROE, dealer in agricultural implements, buggies and carriages of all kinds. Opened the business in the fall of 1880. Located in Kearney in August, 1874, and engaged in the land business with his brother, J. H. Roe, under the firm name of Roe Brothers; was cashier in More's bank in 1877-78; clerked in the County Treasurer's office until the fall of 1879; then returned to his brother's office, and has assisted him in the same since then. He was born in Delaware County, N. Y., August 18, 1844; was a member of the Delaware Literary Institute; he graduated from Bryant & Stratton's College, Albany, N. Y., in 1866. He enlisted in August, 1864, in Company E, Sixty-ninth Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry, and participated in several battles and skirmishes; was wounded in the charge on Petersburg, Va., losing his right leg, March 25, 1865; was discharged in August of the same year. After graduating from college in Albany, N.Y., he was appointed Deputy Sheriff of Delaware County, N. Y., serving three years; was Deputy Collector of Internal Revenue in Delaware, Otsego and Chenango Counties, N. Y., two years ; then engaged in the manufacture of cheese one year; then went to Cherokee, Iowa; was proprietor of an eating-house and restaurant until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Kearney, in 1877, to Miss Fannie L. Cook, of St. Joseph, Mo. They have one child, a son--Claude W.
[PROPERTY OF COL. JOHN H. ROE.]
1--Timber Claim, 160 Acres. 2--Residence at Kearney. 3--Roebelle Sheep Ranch, 7 miles Southwest of Kearney.
[Portrait of John H. Roe.]
COL. JOHN H. ROE. dealer in real estate, Union Pacific Railway, and Government lands, which are located in Buffalo, Kearney, Phelps, Dawson, Custer and Sherman counties. He has already sold over 700,000 acres during the past eight years, dating from 1874. He came to Omaha, Neb., in 1873, in the employ of the Union Pacific Railway Company, and remained until July, 1874. He has now 570,000 acres of land for sale, comprising some of the best lands in the State for the production of cereals and grazing land. Mr. R. has the finest sheep ranch in the State, located seven miles southwest of Kearney, containing 3,203 acres of land. Now has 1,000 sheep on the same, consisting of high bred and pure blood merinos, and sheared 10,000 pounds of wool in the spring of 1882. He has an offer of 28 cents per pound. Mr. R. was born in Franklin, Delaware County, N. Y., March 10, 1839. He first worked as a farm hand until he was eighteen years old, then entered the Delaware Literary Institute in his native place, and graduated in 1860. Paid his way from his own labor; he entered the New York State Agricultural College in Ovid as a tutor, and continued his studies, preparatory for college, entering the Sophomore Class of 1864, of Hamilton College in Clinton, N. Y. After passing his Junior examination in 1862, he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Fifty-seventh New York Volunteer Infantry. In August, he was duly promoted to all of the minor offices. Participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. His regiment was then transferred to the Department of the South, and he was promoted to First Lieutenant on staff duty, subsequently to Captain, and participated in the attack on Fort Wagner, John's Island, Honey Hill. Was wounded in the battle of Gettysburg July 1, 1863, in tile face and side by two rifle balls, and a splinter of shell. Was mustered out in Charleston, S. C., in February 1866. He then to returned home, and soon leased a plaster mill, conducting the business a year, then became general agent for agricultural implements three years, and, in 1870, moved to Cherokee, Iowa, and was soon after appointed land and town lot agent for the Iowa Railway and Land Company. He laid out the town of Cherokee, Iowa, and remained in the employ of the above company three years, then sold out, and removed to Kearney, Neb. He was married in Norwich, N. Y., January, 1881, to Miss Cerissa A. Whitmore, of the latter place. They have two children--Louie B. and Ormond B.
FRED ROSSO, farmer and dealer in wind-mills, pumps, etc. Began business in July, 1877. He located in Furnas County, Neb., in October, 1876, on a homestead, and has made that his home since. He now owns 320 acres of land in that county. Also 166 acres on Section 31, Township 11, Range 15 east. He was born in Germany March 19, 1850. Left his native county with his parents at four years of age, and came to America. His parents settled in New York, he has lived in Massachusetts, Wisconsin and Nebraska since coming to America.