The First Murder | Early Justice
Part 2: Other Pioneer Events | Organization
County Agricultural Association
Schuyler: The Press | Fire Department | The Schools
Part 3: Schuyler (cont.): Societies | General Business
Part 4: Schuyler (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 5: Benton
Colfax Precinct | Wilson Precinct | Stanton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Colfax County Chapter
Acacia Lodge No. 34 (A., F. & A. M.) The charter was granted to this Lodge on the 19th of June, 1872. The charter members were; G. H. Wells, J. C. McKenzie, Frank E. Freye, Charles E. Sumner, W. G. Sutherland, Levi C. Smith, O. J. Smith, Charles A. Parker, George Turner, John B. Lord, James A. Fraser, James W. Munroe and John Welch. Meetings are held on the first Thursday of each month. The present membership is forty-one and the officers are: C. J. Phelps, W. M.; T. W. Whitman, S. W.; James Hughes, J. W.; G. H. Wells, Treas.; L. D. Chambers, Sec.: H. Holcomb, S. D.; C. C. Cannon, J. D.
The lodge owns a fine two-story brick building which was erected at an expense of $2,900. The hall is also used by the Odd Fellows and Knights of Honor:
Schuyler Lodge No. 28, (I. O. O. F.) was organized July 8, 1871. The charter members were: D. H. Dickason, William H. Sumner, Matthew Miller, Oliver L. Robinson, William Sears, Thomas Copeland and John M. G. Curry. Its meetings are held every Saturday in the Masonic Hall. The number of members is sixteen. The present officers are: J. F. Woods, N. G.; J. P. Smith, V. G.; W. M. Sumner, Sec,; J. M. G. Clay, Treas.
The Sheridan Post, No. 34, G. A. R., was organized at Schuyler, February 25, 1880. The charter members were: J. F. Owen, C. C. Cannon, J. B. Sides, W. Shafer, Daniel Vanhousen, L. D. Chambers, E. O. Bradford, H. C. Russell, J. H. Dunnan, and E. L. True. The present membership is seventy. The officers are: W. H. Russell, Commander; J. F. Owen, S. V.; Z. E. Moon, J. V.; C. C. Cannon, Officer of the Day; W. Shafer, Adj.; J. R. Clark, Quartermaster; J. B. Lides, Officer of the Guard. Meetings are held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month.
The Schuyler Dramatic Company. This society was organized in 1876, when the Opera House was completed. Its object has been to furnish the citizens with home entertainments. To this end $700 of scenery has been purchased, which is kept in the Opera House. The present membership of the society is thirty, and the officers are: H. Holcomb, President; W. H. Sumner, Treasurer; Miles Zentmeyer, Secretary; and C. C. Cannon, Stage Manager.
Enterprise Lodge, No. 954 (K. of H.), was organized March 15, 1879. The charter members were: E. L. Truley, H. Holcomb, A. E. Cady, C. J. Phelps, H. C. Wright, J. J. Riley, T. B. Crewitt, James Woods, Samuel Cary, and E. B. Hirst. The membership has since increased to eighteen. Meetings are held every two weeks. The present officers are: H. C. Russell, Dictator; E. M. Allen, V. D.; Samuel Curry, Treas.; J. F. Woods, Financial Reporter; and A. E. Cady, Reporter.
Zajadni Jednota Lodge, No. 42 (C. S. P. S.), was organized at Schuyler June 1, 1879. The charter members were: Adolf Vavra, Joseph Kubit, Frank Simka, Stuton Hurt, Jan Faltys, Jan Prokes, Joseph Dvorak, Martin Prokes, Frank Otradovsky, Mark F. Bedner, Jan Blaha, Joseph Smattan, Joseph Zerzan, and V. Maly. Meetings are held on the first Sunday of each month. There are thirty one members in the society at present. The officers are: Joseph Zerzan, Pres.; John Prokes, VicePres.; Peter Rank, Treas.; V. Maly, Sec.; Joseph Dvorak, Financial Secretary.
Until comparatively a recent date, the business men of Schuyler had no banking institutions in their midst. F. E. Frye & Co., were the first bankers, but after running a few years suspended during the hard times of 1873. In March, 1874, Sumner, Smith & Co., established a bank. Mr. Smith soon retired, and since then the institution has been conducted by Sumner & Co.--C. E. and W. H. Sumner. In November, 1881, Thomas Bryant established "The Farmers' Bank."
Wells & Nieman's Flour Mills. In 1870 Messrs. N. W. Wells and H. W. Nieman erected, on Shell Creek, the second grist mill in the county. This they operated until the winter of 1881-82, when they built a new steam mill in Schuyler in connection with their elevator, on the U. P. track. The little building on Shell Creek, two miles north of the city, was torn down, and a portion of it and the machinery used in the erection of the finest flour mill in the State. The engine, a 175 horse power, is the Reynolds Corliss make. The mill is one of the most complete roller establishments outside of Minneapolis. Twenty rollers will be employed when the mill is in operation, and four runs of stone. Six middling purifiers, four packers, five cleaning machines, etc., will also be used. When fairly in working order the mill will have a capacity of 300 barrels of flour per day, and twenty men will be employed.
The new elevator at the west end of the mill has a capacity of 20,000 bushels. The main building is 40x70 feet, four stories and basement--the engine house being of brick 36x40 feet. The buildings owned by this firm cover a large area. Everything is of the most substantial mould. The basement floor is of cement, the foundation walls of solid masonry, and the frame work of the mill constructed of heavy timbers. The building has been erected to last; and the firm will become more than ever a corner stone of Schuyler's business life.
In connection with their regular business of milling, Messrs. Wells & Nieman operate two extensive cattle ranches, one situated on Shell Creek, at their old mill site, the other in Wyoming Territory. They have now on hand some 2,500 head. Their shipments are to Chicago and points further west.
Creamery Association. This company has just organized and has not as yet got fairly under headway. Its articles of incorporation were filed for record February 22, 1882.
The capital stock is limited to $25,000. Our operations can be begun as soon as one-tenth is subscribed. This has already been done and four acres of land in the south of town have been purchased. The company is now adopting a plan for ice houses and will begin active operations at once. The officers are: J. A. Hood, President, Arthur Bryant, Treasurer, and H. C. Russell, Secretary. The remaining members of the Board of Trustees are F. Folda and L. C. Smith.
The brewery is owned and operated by Martin Jetter. It was built in 1875, and has a capacity of about 1,500 barrels. A malt house is also run in connection with the brewery.
Among the successful business men of Schuyler may be mentioned Messrs. Fuller & Legg, who came into the State five years ago with a few Short-horn cattle and some horses. They now own a farm of 3,000 acres, three miles north of Schuyler, and 500 head of fine cattle. Last year they had over 1,000 acres of wheat under cultivation, and have $50,000 invested in machinery, stock, etc.
Fogg House. C. P. Fogg, present proprietor of this hotel, opened his first house in 1874. It was burned in October, 1877; and in January, 1878, he commenced to build the present hotel. It was completed in May. The Fogg House is first-class in all its accomodations, and is finely patronized by the traveling fraternity. The property is valued at $6,000. The building, whose dimensions are 60x52, three stories, will accommodate comfortably fifty guests. This hotel is one of the most popular in this section of the State.
The Commercial Hotel.-- This is one of the oldest buildings in the town and for many years was the only hotel. It was built by H. P. Upton in 1868 and for some years was run by him. It has since passed through various hands, and been managed by an almost innumerable number of occupants. It was bought in 1880 by Dr. Ballou, and was opened by the present proprietor, J. L. Kinney, June 1, 1881. There are accommodations for about fifty guests, and the house has a good custom.
The Schuyler Opera House. This building was erected in 1879 by the Rescue Fire Company, and has since remained in the hands of the original members of that company. It is a one-story building, with a seating capacity of 500, located in the central part of town. It cost when built $2,500. The internal arrangements are complete. The stage is well fitted up and furnished with $700 of scenery belonging to the Dramatic Company. The present Board of Trustees are: George H. Wells, C. P. Fogg, and W. Hrubesky.
E. L. True is President, D. H. VanAntwerp, Secretary, and H. Holcomb, Treasurer.
B. S. BLISS, Schuyler, Neb., dealer in hogs and feeder of cattle; began business in September, 1876. He handles on an average twenty carloads of stock monthly, at an average cost of about $900.
HENRY BOLTON, firm Roberts & Bolton, dealers in general merchandise; established in fall of 1878. They do an extensive retail trade; employ three clerks to assist in the business. Mr. Bolton located in Schuyler, December, 1878, and immediately began business. He was born in Hancock Co., Ill., September 7, 1855, and was brought up on a farm till he was eighteen years of age, at which time he got a position as clerk in a general store at Malvern, Iowa, about ten months. He then went to Red Oak, same State, where he clerked in a similar store four years, then went to Schuyler. Was married in Red Oak, Iowa, October 8, 1881, to Miss Ellen Shelton, a native of Monmouth County, Ill.
C. BRANDT, dealer in hogs. He ships on an average twelve carloads monthly, at a cost of from $890 to $920. He began business in September, 1880. Mr. Brandt located in Omaha in 1867, and engaged in coopering, etc., until he came to Schuyler, in 1880. He was raised on a farm near Davenport, Iowa, where his parents have lived for many years. He was born in Holstein, Germany, September 27, 1845. His parents came to America in 1857, and located as above named. He was married in Omaha, in the fall of 1878, to Miss Antoinette Sinkula, who was born in northern Wisconsin.
WILLIAM BROWN, County Treasurer, Colfax County, also dealer in general line hardware, stoves, tinware and agricultural implements. He began with a small stock in 1872, and has made a gradual increase. He erected a warehouse, etc., a short time since. Was elected County Treasurer in fall of 1879, and re-elected in fall of 1881; bond required, $80,000 for the above office, in Colfax County. Mr. Brown located in Schuyler in October, 1871, and worked at the tinner's trade until beginning the hardware business. He was born in Chatham, N. B., July 9, 1849. Was married in Schuyler, June 10, 1880, to Miss Lucy E. Davis, who is a native of Livingston County, Mich. They have two children, named Harold and Maude. Mr. Brown, in the election for County Treasurer, received 403 majority on the Democratic ticket; but the county was then about ninety Republican majority.
JOHN W. BROWN, attorney at law and collection agent, settled in Schuyler, June 9, 1870, at which time he began his profession. He took up a homestead of eighty acres in Grant Precinct, improved the same, and still has it cultivated. He was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., September 29, 1818. He began the study of law in Batavia, N. Y., in May, 1839, in the office of Albert Smith, and continued two years and about three months; then entered the law office of J. McGuire and remained a year, and was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court at Owego, N. Y., and soon began the practice of law in Mecklenburg, Schuyler Co., N. Y. Continued until 1864, then moved to Gloversville, and practiced until 1870, after which he went to Nebraska. While at Mecklenburg he served four years as District Attorney of Schuyler County, N. Y. Was elected County Judge of Colfax County, Neb., in fall of 1871, and served full term. Elected County Treasurer in fall of 1873, and served one term. He was married in Rush, Monroe Co., N. Y. , September 21, 1843, to Miss Phebe Green, a native of Milton, Saratoga Co., N. Y. They have one son, James T., now married and living in Madison, Neb., engaged in the practice of law.
THOMAS BRYANT was born in England, and emigrated with his parents to Wisconsin in 1844. His father settled in Racine County, where he remained until 1852, when he removed to Sheboygan Falls, in the same State. In the spring of 1853 the subject of this sketch entered the office of the Sheboygan Falls Free Press to learn the printer's trade. The office was moved to Fond du Lac in the fall of the same year, and Mr. Bryant went with it, where he finished his trade. After attending Lawrence University, at Appleton, Wis., he worked at his trade until the spring of 1859, when he purchased a half interest in the Fond du LacCommonwealth. At the breaking out of the war he disposed of his interest in this newspaper to his partner, J. A. Smith, Esq., and enlisted in August, 1861, in Company K, First Wisconsin Infantry. He was made Sergeant-Major of his regiment in 1862, and after participating in the battle of Perryville, in October, was promoted to a lieutenancy in the Thirty-Second Wisconsin Infantry. In April, 1864, he was made First Lieutenant; in September of the same year, Captain of his company. With the exception of about six months that he was detailed on staff duty, he served with his regiment, being mustered out with it at Washington, in June, 1865. On his return to Fond du Lac he purchased a half interest in his old paper, the Commonwealth. In the fall of 1866 he was elected County Treasurer of Fond du Lac County, which office he held for four years, being re-elected in 1868. In 1867 he was married to Miss Helen Thatcher, of Ripon, Wis., and they have one son, Lucius T. Mr. Bryant established the Farmers' Bank at Schuyler, Neb., in 1880, and opened it for business on November 1. This bank has a capital and surplus of $25,000, and is on a firm foundation. It has a good line of deposits, and its business is rapidly increasing. Mr. Bryant is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a Knight Templar in good standing, in Fond du Lac (Wis.) Commandery, No. 5.
CHARLES C. CANNON, dealer in general line of furniture and undertaker's goods. Established in business in fall of 1873. His average monthly invoices of goods during 1881 equal $500. Mr. C. located in Omaha in the spring of 1868, and went into the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co., as carpenter in the car shops, about six months, after which he took charge of the carpenter work for the company at Lodge Pole division with headquarters at Cheyenne, Wyoming Ter., two years, and had on an average twenty-five men under his supervision. From there he went to Schuyler, Neb., in 1871, and farmed one season, and now owns 160 acres of land. He there soon after began work at his trade and dealt in furniture, since which time he has made the furniture business a specialty. During the time in Schuyler he has been engaged in different trade, four years in dry goods and grocery business. He now keeps a full assortment of household furniture and undertakers' goods. He was born in England, November 29, 1843. Came to America with his parents in 1845. He enlisted August 28, 1861, in Company A, First Massachusetts Light Artillery, and participated in twenty-three different engagements. His company was a part of Sixth Army Corps of the Potomac. He was wounded in the left breast in battle at Charles City Cross Roads, in 1863; in Gen. McClellan's retreat to his base of supplies at Harrison's Landing. He was mustered out August 28, 1864, at Charleston, Va., and finally discharged and paid off in Boston, Mass. He was married in Philadelphia, Pa., May, 1867, to Miss Ellen C. Huntley, who was born in the latter city.
A. E. CADY, one of the proprietors of the Sun, was born in Watertown, Wis., December 7, 1853. His father was a wholesale iron merchant, but young Cady learned his trade in Red Oak, Iowa, having ambitions other than the mercantile. From Red Oak he removed to Fond du Lac, where he married Miss Nellie E. Hessler. They have one daughter. At Fond du Lac Mr. Cady was employed in the La Belle Wagon Works, and removing to Milwaukee engaged as book keeper for various commercial houses. In March, 1877, he moved to Schuyler and purchased the Sun office from E. M. Allen. He has never held a public office, confining himself to building up the journal, which has become one of the institutions of the county.
JOHN T. CLARKSON, agent for Union Pacific Railroad, and non-resident lands in Colfax County, Schuyler, Neb.
W. DWORAK, dealer and purchaser of all kinds farm produce. He also owns a flouring mill on Shell Creek, four miles north of Schuyler. His mill contains four run of stone, is forty by sixty feet on the ground, and four stories high, and has a capacity of 100 barrels in twenty-four hours. He sells his produce entirely at wholesale. In his different branches of business he employs ten men. He was born in Bohemia, Austria, November 22, 1818. He came to America in 1853 , and settled in Manitowoc, Wis., where he engaged in buying grain and farmers produce until 1868, when he moved to Nebraska and settled. He began the grain business after coming to Nebraska; erected his flouring mill in 1873. Was married in his native country March, 1848, to Miss Magdalena Cekter, who was born in Bohemia in 1823. They have seven children living, Wacla, jr., married; Adolph, married; Stephen, married; Emanuel, married; Anna, married; Julia and Mary, unmarried; Anton, deceased. Mr. D. pays out in cash monthly for grain and produce about $7,000.
D. B. DUFFY, firm of Woods & Duffy, contractors, builders and house movers, The present firm was formed January 15, 1882. Mr. Duffy located in Schuyler in August, 1880, and worked for a contracting and building firm four months, and in the winter or 1881 began business for himself, opening a carpenter shop, etc. He was born in La Salle County, Ill., July 4, 1851. Learned his trade in the latter State. Was married in Schuyler, Neb., in September, 1881, to Miss Hattie Comwell, a native of Ohio.
JOSEPH DURAS, firm of Duras & Kreymborg, jobbers and dealers in dry goods, hats, caps, clothing, notions, boots, shoes and groceries. They began business in Schuyler, in February, 1878. Mr. Duras located in Omaha in October, 1873, a short time, then went to Crete, Neb., and engaged in the sale of farm implements the first year, and second year in the grain business in company with another party. After which he went to Fremont and clerked in a dry goods store two years, then went to Schuyler. He was born in Bohemia, Austria, April 4, 1839. Came to America in 1873, arriving in New York City, February 17. Was married in Fremont, Neb., in February, 1877, to Mrs. Sophe Dege, a native of Germany. She had three children by a former husband, named Margaret, Annie and Fred. Dege. Mr. Duras and Mrs. D. have a daughter Josephine.
CHARLES P. FOGG, proprietor Fogg House. Settled in Schuyler, Neb., in 1870. First engaged draying and livery business. Followed first business three years and continued the latter until spring of 1877. He began the erection of the Fogg House; completed and opened the same in the season of 1875, but it was burned in fall of 1877. He began the erection of his present hotel in January, 1878 and opened the same May 1 following. It contains twenty-seven sleeping rooms, accommodates sixty guests. Hotel has a north frontage of sixty feet and east of fifty-two feet and thirty feet deep, two and a half stories high. Cost, $4,500; total cost, furniture and hotel, $6,000. Mr. Fogg was born in Cornville, Somerset Co., Me., December 9, 1842. Was married in Greenville, Me. 14 August, 1862, to Miss Lucinda P. Foss who was born in Brighton, Me. Have one son, Joshua L.
F. FOLDA, dealer in general merchandise. Began business in Schuyler, 1869. Employs from two to four clerks. Mr. F. was born in Bohemia in July, 1839. He followed the boot and shoe business five years previous to emigrating to America in 1857. He first located in Kewaunee and Monitowoc Counties, Wis., and farmed three years, after which he clerked and worked for others in business until 1869, when he moved to Nebraska and settled in Schuyler. Mr. F. has an extensive trade and is well and favorably known for his manly and upright qualities. He was married in Kewaunee County, Wis., to Miss Johanna M. Erickson, a native of Denmark. They have one son and one daughter named Engelbert F., and Martha F. Mr. F. was a representative to the Legislature in 1875 for Colfax and Platte Counties.
N. E. GASMANN, firm Gasmann & Kahl, dealers in general line groceries, queensware, crockery and glassware. Established January 15, 1882. He was born in Norway March 3, 1818. Came to America in 1843 with his parents. The family consists of father, seven sons and seven daughters. They settled in Oconomowoc, Wis., Waukesha Co. The father brought his family up on a farm. The subject of this sketch lived with his parents in the latter place fifteen years. Then moved to Amherst, Portage Co., Wis., and kept a general merchandise store until he moved to Schuyler, Neb., in the spring of 1870. He bought twenty acres of land adjoining the city limits in southwest. He remained there two years. Engaged in coal, lime and brick business, after which he went to the Yankton Agency, D. T., and engaged as Government farmer for the Sioux Indians four years. He then returned to Schuyler a short time, after which he went to Ogalalla on U. P. R. R. and engaged in merchandising and stock dealing, his son, Frederick W., taking charge of store. N. E. Gasmann was there four years, then returned to Schuyler in October, 1879, and since which he has been engaged in improving it, etc. He was married January 1, 1845, in Norway, to Miss Constance Gasmann, who was born in Norway February 7, 1825. They have five children. Hance J., deceased; James S., deceased, and John J., deceased; Frederick W., living in Yankton, D. T.; Maggie C. and Lillie E. at home. Mr. G. went to Norway in fall of 1844 and remained during the winter, and returned in the following spring. During his life in Ogalalla, he was elected County Commissioner which position he held during his life time.
HUGH GILLIES, firm of McClure & Gillies, dealers in general line of drugs, patent medicine, paints, oils and glass, began business in February, 1879. They buy about $400 worth of drugs monthly. He was born in County Halton, Ontario, May 22, 1853. He went to the West Indies in 1867, and took charge of a sugar plantation on the island of Jamaica. During the time he took the yellow-fever, and in his convalescence he returned to his native place and remained a short time, but soon returned to the field of his employment and remained until 1873. He then returned to Ontario, and clerked in a dry-goods store at Point Edward one year. He then engaged as traveling salesman for the sale of agricultural implements two years. He then went in company with his brother, John Gillies, M. D., C. M. (a graduate of McGill College in Montreal, Canada), in the drug business about three years, he having charge of the business, after which he came to Nebraska and formed the above business in Schuyler. He was a member of I. O. O. F., in Canada.
H. HOLCOMB, real estate, collection and insurance agent, also one of the proprietors of the Schuyler Herald, owned by Zentmyer & Holcomb. Mr. H. engaged in the above business in summer of 1869; he also does a large collection business for Eastern manufacturers of farm machinery, and other parties throughout the Western country. He made his first residence in Schuyler in March, 1869. Mr. H. was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., November 21, 1836, and was brought up a farmer, but changed his occupation to clerking for some time. His father being in advanced years, Mr. H. Holcomb again assisted on the farm until the death of his father, when he sold the farm and engaged in the mercantile business. He came West in 1869. He was County Judge of Colfax County in 1875-77. He has been Notary Public for many years, which position he still occupies. Mr. H. was married in Charleston, Canada West, December 22, 1864, to Miss Alvira E. Hamblin, who was born in Canada, November 12, 1842. Mr. H. has been a member of Acacia Masonic lodge No. 23, of Schuyler, since its organization.
JAMES HUGHES, proprietor of livery, feed and sale stables, firm of Hughes & Son,--son's name, Frank M. They began business in April, 1877. They kept a livery of twenty-four horses, and carriages to match. Employ three men in the business, and keep as fine a livery as can be found in Nebraska, west of Omaha. Mr. H. located in Maple Creek Precinct, Colfax County, in April, 1872, and began the manufacture of brick and farming, which continued until fall, 1875; then moved to Schuyler. He was elected Sheriff in fall of 1875--served two years. He was born in Lawrence County, Pa. (then Beaver County), May 4, 1833. He was engaged in brickmaking, farming and various occupations previous to coming west, living in Missouri seven years and Illinois ten years before going to Nebraska. Was married in Alexandria, Clark Co., Mo., June 10, 1857, to Miss Mary L. McGinnis, a native of Wheeling, W. Va. They have three children; Frank M., May and Eda. His wife died August 7, 1867. He was married again in fall of 1869 in Hancock County, Ill., to Mrs. Frances Simmons, a native of the latter county, Illinois. Mr. H. has been a member of the Masonic Order many years.
DAVID JENKINS, SR., was born in Wales February 4, 1830. Came to America in 1852. Was married in May, 1852, to Miss Margaret Owens, who was born in Wales, April, 1829. They have four sons--David, Albert, John E., Walter S.,--married and living in Butler County. He first lived in Utica, N. Y., then moved to Chicago. They moved from there in 1856 to Watertown, Wis., and lived until 1865 there. Moved to Cambria, Columbia Co., Wis., and lived until 1870, and moved to Butler County and settled in Linwood precinct. They now own 400 acres of land. Mr. Jenkins is a practical painter, and has made that his business since boyhood. His son David A. is also in company with his father. They are opening up a fine business, and are now doing an average business of about $4,000 per year.
MARTIN JETTER, proprietor Schuyler Brewery, which was erected in 1870 by Mr. Fritz Lammert. Dimensions, 16x50 feet, 2 stories high; capacity, 15 barrels per day when running; consume about 2,500 bushels of barley per annum, and manufacture 1,000 barrels of beer annually. Employ 3 men. Mr. J. was born in Germany January 19, 1845. Came to America in 1865 and worked two years in a brewery at Dunkirk, N. Y., then about a year in Burlington, Iowa, and from there to Omaha, Neb., and worked in same business until 1875, when he bought the above brewery in company with Max Lenz. Continued in company a year, when Mr. J. bought the whole interest. He was married in Ann Arbor, Mich., to Miss Barbara Seyfried, a native of Germany. Have three children--John M., Fred W., and Lena C. Mr. J. was a member of I. O. O. F. of Omaha , Neb.
STEPHEN H. JONES, dealer in all kinds of grain, established in Schuyler in December, 1881, under firm name of S. H. Jones & Co. They also buy grain at Wahoo, Neb., under firm name of Ostenberg, & Co.; also at Mead, Neb., under firm name of Ostenberg, Condit & Co. They have received 40,000 bushels of grain in about two months at Schuyler. They employ seven hands in all places. Mr. Jones first located in Fremont, Neb., in September, 1875, where he remained about a year in the grain business; then went to Wahoo, and was there in grain and stock business five years, after which he came to Schuyler and began the above business. He formerly lived at Blue Mound, Wis., where he spent his school-days, after which he made teaching his profession. He was born in the latter place December 1, 1850. Was married in Wahoo, Neb., May 28, 1880. They have an infant son, not yet named.
J. C. KAHL, firm of Gasmann & Kahl, dealers in general line of groceries, queensware, glassware, lamps and notions, established December 15, 1881. Mr. K. was born in Fort Atkinson, Jefferson Co., Wis., April 12, 1857. The first business in which he engaged was clerking in his native city in a general store until 1874, when he went to Sioux Falls, D. T., and clerked in a drug and dry-goods store two and a half years. He then went to Brule City and took a claim, but soon joined a C. M. & St. P. R. R., surveying party, which business he followed five months; then went to Springfield and took charge of a dry-goods and drug store two years and three months after which he located in Schuyler, Neb.