Part 2: Indian Troubles | Wild Bill | Ives Marks | Russians
Part 3: County Buildings | Railroads | Agricultural Society
Schools | Taxable Property | Population
Fairbury: Fires and Storms | City Roster
Schools | Churches
Part 4: Fairbury (cont.): Societies | The Press | Newspapers
Banks | Manufactories | Progress | Meteorological
Part 5: Steele City: Schools | Churches | Societies | Newspapers
Business Interests | Biographical Sketches
Part 6: Other Towns: Endicott: Biographical Sketches
Reynolds | Diller: Biographical Sketches | Others
The Women's Christian Temperance Union.--This society was instituted in March, 1881, with ten members. Although their membership has been limited it has been accomplishing a good work. While few in number they are exceedingly active and energetic in the cause of temperance. They are zealous in the work and are casting their whole influence towards the redemption of society from the thralldom of intemperance.
The last elected officers are: Mrs. R. Pearson, President; Mrs. E. Eldridge, Mrs. Alice Snell and Mrs. G. H. Turner, Vice Presidents; Mrs. J. P. Randolph, Secretary, and Mrs. Gertrude McDowell, Treasurer.
Women's Suffrage Society of Fairbury.--This society was organized August 7, 1881, and is auxiliary to the State Suffrage Association. It has twenty enthusiastic members, earnestly and hopefully working for the enfranchisement of their sex. One of its members, Mrs. McDowell has been Corresponding Secretary of the State Association. The officers are: Mrs. Gertrude McDowell, President; Mrs. C. C. Boyle, Vice President; Mrs. Anna Steele, Secretary, and Mrs. B. S. Baker, Treasurer.
The Fairbury Lodge, No. 35, A. F. & A. M., was organized in 1871. It has a well furnished hall and a good working membership of forty-five. The present officers are: B. S. Baker, W. M.; Robert Christian, S. W.; M. Warren, J. W.; C. J. Hedges, Secretary; R. A. Canada, treasurer; John Lauterbach, S. D.
Fairbury Lodge, No. 54, I. O. O. F., of this order, was established in 1874. The lodge has a large and handsomely furnished hall. The present membership is about sixty. W. P. Freeman, N. G.; P. H. Shamberger, V. G.; W. A. Lyon, Secretary; R. A. Kennedy, Treasurer; W. O. Hambel, Con.; A. A. Anderson, Warden; Robert Truman, Chap.; T. T. Berry, I. G.; Horace Graves, O. G.; L. A. Stevens, R. S. S.; C. H. Lipscomb, L. S. S.; J. T. Thompson, R. S. N. G.; J. D. Hubble, L. S. N. G.; T. B. Risley, R. S. V. G.; T. C. Beale, L. S. V. G. L. A. Stevens and G. H. Turner Representatives to the Grand Lodge.
Grand Chancellor Carter instituted a lodge of the Knights of Pythias, July 22, 1874, and the organization held meetings up to April, 1879, since which time they have not met.
In April, 1879, the Knights of Honor effected an organization here, but it has by indifference become inactive, the last meeting being held in March, 1880.
Red Ribbon Club and Library Association.--The Red Ribbon movement was started by Mr. Finch, the temperance lecturer, in the spring of 1878. Interest in the cause became very strong, and in the following year the above name was adopted, and a Red Ribbon Hall built, costing about $800. There are now, however, only about fifty working members, but they are making an effort to carry their principles at the next city election. There are 300 volumes in the library. John Graves, a former treasurer, absconded with about $70 belonging to the Association.
Officers: R. A. Kennedy, President; S. W. Barnes, Secretary and Treasurer.
Russell Post, No. 77, G. A. R., was instituted September 19, 1881, and has about thirty members. It is expected that the lodge will soon become very large, as there are about 700 soldiers in the county. Officers: A. W. Matthews, Post Commander; M. T. Hedges, S. V. C.; C. B. Slocumb, J. V. C.; H. H. Diller, Q. M.; R. B. Wallace, Surgeon; T. H. Hanchett, O. G.; C. W. Baley, Officer of the Day; C. E. Dutcher, Adjutant; H. A. Hopple, S. M.; C. Keolher, Q. M. S.
The press has been a great aid in building up the town and county. It is well patronized at home and has an extensive foreign circulation. It has continually set forth the resources and advantages of the county, rarely over-coloring, save by omitting to give prominence to the "draw-backs" which every country in the world has, else there would be a paradise somewhere. It has been almost exclusively Republican , but that is accounted for by the fact that the great majority of the population have been and are republicans, which is also accounted for by the fact, that the county was largely settled by Union soldiers who took advantage of the homestead law. But it has not been so radical but that every citizen of the county could read it, no matter what were his political principles.
It would do credit to counties with thribble the population in some of the older States.
The popular press, i. e., the press of the great and leading cities, is most liberally patronized, but the people are as eager here as elsewhere to be thoroughly posted in local affairs, and recognizing the fact that the county must have a press, give it their hearty support.
The Fairbury Gazette, the oldest and most prominent paper in the county, was established September 3, 1870, by George Cross. In March, 1871, Mr. Cross associated with him H. B. Hanson, who sold his interest to Mr. L. A. Stevens in 1875. In 1876 Mr. M. A. Brown, now of the Beatrice Express, purchased Mr. Stevens' interest, but in 1877 resold to Mr. Stevens, since which time Cross & Stevens has been the firm name.
It was at first a seven-column folio, but was changed to a five-column quarto.
It has been thoroughly Republican from the first; has an excellent circulation and noted for its spiciness, general and local news, not dogmatical, but firm and most carefully edited.
Southern Nebraska Advance.--This paper was established of F. Bert Risley, August, 1879, at Carlton, Thayer County; removed to Steele City in 1880, and in 1881 to Fairbury. It is a seven-column folio and all home print. It is independent Republican, a good local paper and well edited.
There has been a large number of newspaper adventures in Fairbury, that are now of the past, not so much because they were unworthy of patronage as that the population was not sufficient to support them, and especially because their principles were in quite a strange and foreign land. Fairbury Times, Independent, Clipper and Telegraph, greenback; New West Index and Field Notes, must be considered as ephemeral, yet we will not deny but that all in their way did some good, though they came not, as it seems, to stay.
Thomas Harbine's Bank.--This is the only bank at present in the place, but the building for another is now under contract.
It is a private bank, established in 1874, by Col. Harbine, a capitalist. The bank does a good business, has a capital of bout $40,000, and is considered perfectly safe, as Mr. Harbine has a large amount of property in his own name, all free from encumbrance.
The bank building is the finest and most ornamental building in the place. It is built of white sandstone from Carroll County, Missouri, and with the fixtures cost nearly $7,000.
There are a few wagons and some agricultural implements manufactured here, but the only manufacturing of any importance in the place is that of flour. The Fairbury Flouring Mills were built in 1873 by Messrs. Cropsey & Champlin, now owned by Champlin & McDowell. The mill, a three-story building, is situated on the side-track of the St. Joe & Western Railway, 730 feet from the river. Thus the mill is free from the dampness experienced in those mills situated on the river banks, and especially when the flume passes under the mill. The power is transmitted from the dam by a wire cable. There are four run of burrs and apparatus for making flour by the patent process. The dam is a very substantial one and affords 150 horse-power, only one-fourth of which is now used.
A little over ten years ago Fairbury existed merely in name, with a local habitation, and not in the geography of education, religion or commerce. To-day it is the center of a flourishing and populous county, with a great educational, religious and commercial influence, contributing annually $3,500 to support of her schools, about the same amount for her religious advantages, and doing a commercial business amounting to about $500,000. It is only the progress and the advantages of modern civilization that makes such a wonderful transformation to take place in so short a space of time. Were some westward-bound traveler to return who passed by the place where Fairbury now stands, a dozen years ago, he scarcely could believe his eyes. The rolling sweep of the prairie then spread out before him, and only the silence of a desert saluted his ear, but now he would see solid and ornamental business blocks and hundreds of beautiful and happy homes, and he would hear the hum and the music of the spheres of industry.
Col. Thomas Harbine gave us the following facts, as observed by him, concerning the rain fall for this locality for the past seven years:
Years No. Inches of Water. 1875......................................30.25 1876......................................31.04 1877......................................34.95 1878......................................23.04 1879......................................32.65 1880......................................25.95 1881......................................37.55
The greatest amount of water falling in any one month was that of June, 1881, when 9.03 inches fell. The most destructive storm during this period was that of June 20, 1881.
C. C. BOYLE, attorney and real estate, firm of Boyle & Lindley, was born in Mansfield, Ohio, in 1841, remaining there until 1857 when he went to Cedar County, Iowa, the following year he went to Hardin County where he remained until 1860, he then took a trip to the Rocky Mountains and Colorado, and remained there until 1864. Was engaged in mining, and one year was engaged in hunting and trapping, then returned to Iowa, and located at Marshalltown in 1867. Commenced the study of law and was engaged in teaching also. In 1869 came to Nebraska and located at Fairbury, the following year he was admitted to the bar, and opened an office and commenced the practice of law, has been in the place the longest time of any practitioner here. There was but one cabin when he came here. In 1871, was in partnership with Mr. Cross in real estate, and was in the business two years. In 1871, was appointed Probate Judge for unexpired term, and then was elected to the same office for the next two terms.
H. CLAPP, County Clerk. Was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, in 1838, and was brought up on a farm, and also engaged in teaching a part of the time, in 1861 enlisted in Company K, Second Ohio Cavalry, serving two years. In 1870 came west and settled in Jefferson County, Nebraska, near Steele City; has 280 acres of land, which he has improved, and has also been engaged in stockraising some. In 1879 was elected County Clerk, and is also Recorder and Ex-officio Clerk of District Court, which position he is filling to the satisfaction of his constituents. In 1874 was married to Miss Rebecca Hollinbeck, of Jefferson County, Mrs. C. assisting her husband in the office. They have one son, born 1877.
H. D. CLARK, farmer. Was born in Essex County, N Y, in 1841 where he remained until 1847, when his parents emigrated to Iowa, and located in Jackson County, and then in Dubuque County. At the age of fourteen commenced learning the blacksmith trade, which he followed until 1862, when he enlisted in the Twenty-fourth Iowa Infantry, Company I, from Jackson County, serving three years, wounded at the first battle of Vicksburg. In 1867 emigrated to Nebraska, and located in Gage County, but soon after settled in Jefferson County, locating at Fairbury, and took a homestead near the village, in Section 22, Town 2, Range 2, consisting of 160 acres, lying in the Blue River, it being one of the first in this part of the county, has 120 acres improved, and is engaged in stockraising from 150 to 300 hogs per annum; he also ran a blacksmith shop for a number of years after he came to Fairbury. Was married in 1867 at Hopkinton, Iowa, to Miss Charlotte Culver. Is a member of Russell Post, No. 77, G. A. R., of Fairbury.
GEORGE CROSS, Postmaster, Fairbury, Neb. Was born in Racine County, Wis., in 1841. Removed to Walworth County in 1843, where he resided until the fall of 1863, when he began a course of study at the State University at Madison. Enlisted in the First Wisconsin Heavy Artillery the following year, serving until the close of the war, and was discharged at Milwaukee, Wis., in June, 1865. Returning to his studies he graduated in 1867, and taught school until 1870, when he came to this place and started the Fairbury Gazette, with which paper his still is connected. In 1871 was appointed Postmaster. Was married in 1868, at Madison, Wis., to Miss Clara Tullis, of that place. Is a member of Fairbury Lodge No. 35, A. F.& A. M., and of Mount Hermon Commandry, K. T., No. 7, Beatrice, Neb.
MASON GREGG, grain dealer. Was born in Bailey County, 1851, where he remained until 1872, attended school, and in 1872-'3 took a commercial course at Bryant & Stratton's College, Milwaukee; in 1872 located at St. Joseph, Mo., and was in company with his brother in the grain and stock trade; in 1874 came to Nebraska, and located at Fairbury, and went into the grain and stock trade from 1874 to 1880, when he closed out his interests here, and commenced to buy grain on the B. & M. R. R; has for stations, Chester, Harbin and Hardy, and is in company with Mr. Kizer, and also has Reynold & Hubbell, and is buying and shipping grain and stocks. The elevators have an average storing capacity of from 10,000 to 15,000 bushels each. Was married in 1876 at St. Joseph, Mo., to Miss Emma Espey. They have one daughter, Ada. Is a member of the Northwestern Traveling Men's Association.
COL. THOS. HARBINE, Banker, Was born in Washington County, Md., in 1820, where he remained until 1859. In 1844 commenced the study of law. In 1836 entered the grammar school at Mercersburg, Pa., taking a general course, from there he went to Cannonsburg, Pa., and entered Jefferson College going into the Freshman Class and from there to Miami University, at Oxford, Ohio. While at Oxford in 1842 his father died, and he returned home and took charge of his estate, and while attending to this began reading law in the spare time he could take from his duties. In 1845 he was admitted to the bar at Hagerstown, Md., where he practiced until 1859. In 1850 was a member of the Maryland Constitutional Convention, was prosecuting attorney of Washington County from 1852 to 1856. Moved to St. Joseph, Mo., in 1859, where he began the practice of law. In 1862 and 1863 was Mayor of St. Joe, Mo. He was in the State Senate from 1866 to 1870. From 1870 to 1872 was Vice-President of the St. Joe & D. C. R. R. In 1874 established a bank at Fairbury, which he ran as a private bank until April 17, 1882 when it was incorporated under the State laws of Nebraska, with authorized capital $50,000, with Thos. Harbine, President; L. W. Eldridge, Vice-President; John Extor, Cashier; James M. Monroe, Teller. In 1872, organized the Nebraska Land and Town Company, for the promotion of emigration and development of the State, laying out towns on the St. Joe & Western R.R. This was an incorporated company, Mr. H. being president until 1882. In 1861 he enlisted in the enrolled Missouri Militia, Company A, Twenty-fifth Regiment, and was Captain of the Company. Soon after was commissioned Lieut.-Colonel of the regiment, and served as such. He was married in 1846, at Potomac Landing, Washington Co., Md., to Miss Catherine A. Smith, of that place, who died in 1865. They have two living children, Catherine A., the wife of James M. Monroe, and Mary V., unmarried.
J. D. HUBBLE, dealer in grain and hogs. Was born in Virginia, in 1843, Wythe County, and remained until 1869, and was engaged in farming; he then located in Nebraska City, Neb., and the following year came to Fairbury, where he worked at carpenter work, which he followed about four years. He then opened a livery stable in company with his brother, which was the first stable in the place. Was in the business about two years. He was then employed by Mr. Kesterson as traveling salesman, handling agricultural implements, and worked for him about three years. He then went to work for Gregg Brothers, as grain buyer in the State for one year, then took charge of their business until the fall of 1881, when he leased the elevator, and commenced buying and shipping grain and hogs. Has shipped about 70 or 75 cars of hogs since,--from September to April--.Capacity of elevator about $25,000. He is a member of Fairbury Lodge NO. 54, I. O. O. F.
JAMES IRELAND, farmer. Was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1836. At the age of six he came to America, his parents locating in Carbon County, Pa., where they remained about three years; from there they went to Illinois, and located in La Salle County, remaining there twenty-five years, and was engaged in farming and stock-raising. In 1861, enlisted at La Salle, Ill., in the Eleventh Illinois Infantry, Company K, serving four months. In the fall of 1869, settled in Nebraska, locating in Jefferson County, taking a homestead on Section 25, Town 3, Range 2, consisting of 240 acres. Has 130 acres improved, and is engaged in stockraising. In 1879 was elected County Commissioner of Jefferson County. Is also School Director, and has been eight years. Was married in the fall of 1861 to Miss Isabelle Dick. They have eight children-Elizabeth, William, Kate, Jennie, Annie, David, James, and Allie. He is a member of the Fairbury Lodge, No. 35, A. F. & A. M., also of Russell Post No. 77, G. A. R.
D. C. JENKINS, the oldest permanent settler in the county, emigrated from Illinois to Nebraska in 1859. Has had many varied experiences in frontier life, having been actively engaged in trade and business of the overland times, his ranches on the Big Sandy and Rock Creek being well and favorably known in those times by overland trading stage men and emigrants as the best supplied ranches on the road between the Missouri and Denver and were favorite resorts for supplies of all kinds needed in the trade. Mr. Jenkins held a commission as Postmaster for ten years. Was Deputy Provost Marshall in 1863 and 1864, afterwards represented his district in the Legislature of Nebraska, and is the only man ever known to start the publication of a newspaper on a homestead. He was chosen by the committee to deliver the historical address at the Centennial Celebration, held in Jefferson County, 1876, from which we derived some important facts in regard to the early settlement of the county, and the frontier country generally.
EMIL LANGE, real estate, was born in Darmstadt City, Germany, in 1830, living there until 1850. At the age of fifteen commenced the study of medicine, finishing his course at Pope's College, St. Louis, where he graduated in 1853, came to America in 1850, and located at St. Louis, commenced the practice of medicine, remaining there until 1864, when he went to Pike's Peak, and the following year after spent eighteen months, located at Nebraska City. He still has fifty-eight registered claims in the mountains. In 1865 he lost his wife at Nebraska City, and the following year he went to Lincoln, then known as Lancaster, and commenced the practice of medicine. In 1875, located in Meridian, and commenced the practice of medicine, but drifted into real estate. Has been Justice of the Peace and Notary Public. At Fairbury put up a brick building 25x60, two stories high, in 1880. In 1852 was married to Sophia Metzger. They had one daughter, Bertha. Re-married in 1871 to Elizabeth Landkammer, of Meridian, Jefferson Co., Neb. They have three children-Emil F., William W., and Emma.
G. S. MERRITT, attorney, was born in Union County, Ohio, in 1853. In 1864 went to Illinois, and located in Tazewell County, where he remained until 1866, thence to Missouri, remaining there about four years. In 1869 went to Keokuk County, Iowa, remaining there three years. From there to Mahaska County remaining three years. In 1873 commenced the study of law at Sigourney, and was admitted to the bar in 1875. Commenced the practice of law in Marshall County, practicing two years, and one year in Mahaska County. In 1878 located in Fairbury, Nebraska, where he has been practicing law and loaning money. Was married in 1881 at Fairbury, to Miss Libbie Rich. Is a member of Fairbury Lodge, No. 54, I. O. O. F.
H. D. MERRILL stockraiser, Fairbury, Nebraska, was born in Livingston County, N. Y., in 1833. In 1848 moved to Newton, Calhoun Co., Mich. From 1858 to 1860, attended the Michigan State University at Ann Arbor. In 1861 went to Winnebago County, Ill., and in September of that year enlisted in Company G, Forty-fifth Illinois Infantry, and took part in the battle of Fort Henry, Donelson, Shiloh, Siege of Corinth, where he was taken with fever joining his regiment at Vicksburg, Miss., and took part in the Atlanta campaign, and was mustered out there, and returned to Michigan, and attended the law department of the State University, graduating in 1866. In 1867 and 1868 was Principal of the Public Schools at Port Byron, Ill. In 1869 came to this State, and located at Jenkins' Mill, and engaged in general merchandising until August, 1872, when he moved his stock to Fairbury, and in 1881 sold out his business, and moved to his stock farm on Rose Creek and turned his attention to stock-raising. Was married in 1872, at Byron, Ogle Co., Ill., to Miss Hattie M. Smith. They have three children-Albert H., Arthur S., and Frank D. Is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.
BENJAMIN L. PURDY, insurance agent, was born in New York City in September, 1816. In 1825 went to Belmont County, Ohio, living there and in Monroe and Washington Counties until 1843, when he located at Whitewater, Wis., where he remained until 1846, when he located at Baraboo, Sauk Co., Wis., being one of the early settlers of that place, held the office of Postmaster under the Taylor and Filmore Administrations. He remained there until 1870, when he located at Fairbury, Neb., and worked at carpenter work until the fall, when he was elected Probate Judge, holding the office fifteen months, then went into the insurance business, and was Justice of the Peace until 1882. In 1870 got out a set of abstract books of Jefferson County, which he has kept since. Does a real estate business as well as insurance, representing the Home, of New York, Hartford Fire, and other leading insurance companies. Was married March, 1839, at Woodsfield, Monroe Co., Ohio, to Miss Susan H. Meadows, of that place. They have five living children-Julia, Cordelia, Ellen J., Susan C., and L. M. Purdy, the latter a merchant at Yankton, Dak. He is a member of the Masonic Society.
F. BERT RISLEY, editor of the Southern Nebraska Advance, is a native of Indiana. Born April, 1845. At 17 years of age joined the 7th Indiana Infantry, and served continuously to the close of the war. He then joined the regular army, and served three years in Colorado, Wyoming and Dakota territories. In 1868 came to Nebraska, and entered government land, using his soldier's claim. In 1877 established the Enterprise, a weekly paper, at Table Rock. In 1879 removed to Carlton, Thayer Co., where he commenced the publication of the Advance, which he afterwards removed to Fairbury, Jefferson Co.
HON. C. B. SLOCUMB, attorney, was born in White County, Ill., October 31, 1843. He was raised on a farm, attended a district school. In the spring of 1864 enlisted in Company C, in 136th Illinois Infantry, serving as a non-commissioned officer in the Department of the Cumberland. In 1866 removed to Marshalltown, Iowa, where he attended the academy, and clerked in a store until 1868, when he went to Berea, Ohio, and attended Baldwin University for two years, and has received the degree of A. M. In 1870 commenced the study of law, and also became Principal of the Public Schools at Marshalltown. In 1872 was admitted to the bar. In the spring of 1873 located at Fairbury, and in company with W. O. Hambel, commenced the practice of law. In the fall of 1878 was elected a member of the 15th Legislature of Nebraska, and in 1880 was re-elected to the 16th Legislature, and introduced the famous Slocumb Liquor Law of Nebraska, which was approved January 1, 1881. Was Chairman of the Ways and Means and Finance Committee, and also a member of the 17th Legislature. Was author of the Legislative and Congressional Apportionment Laws, which were passed with scarcely any amendment, although stubbornly opposed. He was married on the 22nd day of January, 1874, to Miss Anna R. Gourley, of Marshalltown, Iowa. Has one child, Florence E., born September 11, 1875. Has ever since his removal to Nebraska resided in Fairbury.
W. H. SNELL, attorney, was born in Mechanicsburg, Cumberland Co., Pa., in 1852, remaining there until 1859, when he went to Iowa, and located in Mount Pleasant, Henry Co., remaining there until 1867, when he came to Nebraska, and located at Lincoln, and attended the State University, taking a philosophical course, graduated in 1873, the first class which graduated at the University. He then commenced reading law, finishing at Lincoln, and was admitted to the bar in 1874. Then commenced the practice of law at Lincoln, and in 1875 located in Clear Creek County, Col., remaining there until 1878, when he returned to Nebraska, and located at Fairbury, where he has followed his profession since. In 1876 was married to Miss May A. Bates, of Colorado. Is a member of the Fairbury Lodge No. 54, I. O. O. F.
C. F. STEELE, furniture dealer, was born in Ogle County, Ill., in 1844, where he remained until 1861, when he enlisted in Company A, Second Illinois Cavalry, serving four and one-half years. Was taken prisoner at Fort Donelson, but succeeded in making his escape soon after. After the war was engaged in farming until 1871, when he emigrated to Nebraska, and located at Fairbury, and engaged in the furniture business which he has followed since. Put in the first stock, and is the only dealer in the place at present. In 1873 was elected Sheriff of Jefferson County, holding the office two terms. In 1877 was elected County Treasurer and held the office two terms. In 1879 was married to Miss Annie Strickland, of Rochelle, Ill. They have one son, Roy, born December, 1879. Belongs to the G. A. R., member of Fairbury Lodge, No. 54, I. O. O. F., Fairbury Lodge, No. 35, A., F. & A. M.
LOYAL A. STEVENS, editor Fairbury Gazette, was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., in 1839. When seven years of age his parents removed to Madison, Wis. In 1862 he enlisted in the Chicago Board of Trade Battery, and served in the army until July, 1865 as private. Participated in the battles of Stone River, Chickamauga, Nashville, those of the Atlanta campaign, and the storming of Selma, Ala. In 1865 emigrated to Nebraska, and entered a tract of land under the homestead law, in Jefferson County, which he has seen emerge from its Indian-terror-filled period into is present prosperous and peaceful condition. Before purchasing an interest in the Gazette in 1875, he was on the Nebraska City Press and Chronicle. Mr. Stevens is widely known and esteemed for his excellent traits of character.
WILL W. WATSON, real estate agent and civil engineer, was born in Kalamazoo, Mich., in 1844, where he lived until 1854, when he came with his parents to Nebraska, and located in Bellevue. His father, Mr. Watson, was a civil engineer and Deputy United States surveyor in the early settlement of Nebraska. He was also a Probate Judge of Sarpy County. W. W. commenced to learn civil engineering of his father at an early age, and had nearly completed it when his father died in 1866. He took two trips across the plains in 1863. Was gone one year. Then went to clerking in a store in Bellevue, and worked at that and book-keeping until the age of 20, when he again crossed the plains as wagon-master of a train. The following winter, in 1866, was Secretary in the Territorial Legislature, that being the last Territorial Legislature. He went back into the store, remaining one year. He then commenced contracting on the U. P. R.R., where he remained until 1868, and then on the Sioux City & Pacific R. R., and opened the store at Sidney, and was on bridge-work. In 1872 settled in Fairbury. There went into real estate. He has also been engaged in bridge-work, put up the bridge at Blue Springs, and one at Hebron in 1871. Island agent for the St. Joe & Denver R. R., B. & S. W. R.R., and other companies; also the Lincoln Land Company. Is notary public, and has three insurance companies. In 1870 drew the plans and superintended the erection of the first building of the Omaha Smelting Works. Is a member of the Bellevue Lodge, No. 3, K of P. Was City Engineer several terms.
HON. M. WARREN, loan agent, attorney and collector, was born near Cleveland, Ohio, in 1823. Was an orphan, and raised on a farm in Lake County, Ohio. He taught school at the age of 20, and in his 25th year graduated at Allegheny College, Meadville, Pa. He was married at that place October 10, 1847, to Miss Abbie Sibley. He studied law at Jefferson, Ohio. In October, 1849, he moved to Bellefontaine, Ohio, and there lived twenty-one years, taught school until 1854, and then practiced law. In 1854 he wrote a pamphlet of "Legal Forms under the Ohio Liquor Law," and in 1855 and 1856 he first wrote his book "Ohio Criminal Law," a work of legal practice in Ohio and other States ever since. At Bellefontaine he was School Examiner, Prosecuting Attorney, and for 1868 and 1869 member of the Ohio Legislature. He moved to Fairbury, Neb., January, 1871. He framed a criminal code for Nebraska, which was adopted by the Legislature in 1873, and is still in force. In 1877 he wrote his little book, entitled "American Labor," prefaced with his original and cherished lines:
When labor doth prosper, then all things right do prosper.
When labor prospers not, then nothing right doth prosper.
Then, first, fix right the laws, so that labor shall prosper.