Part 2: Indian Troubles | Wild Bill | Ives Marks | Russians
Part 3: County Buildings | Railroads | Agricultural Society
Schools | Taxable Property | Population
Fairbury: Fires and Storms | City Roster
Schools | Churches
Part 4: Fairbury (cont.): Societies | The Press | Newspapers
Banks | Manufactories | Progress | Meteorological
Part 5: Steele City: Schools | Churches | Societies | Newspapers
Business Interests | Biographical Sketches
Part 6: Other Towns: Endicott: Biographical Sketches
Reynolds | Diller: Biographical Sketches | Others
The second place of importance in the county is a beautiful town of over 500 inhabitants with a charming location on the east side of the Little Blue, and on the line of the St. Joe & Western Railway, thirteen miles southeast of the county seat.
It was laid out in 1873 by Messrs. Abner Baker and Robert Crinklow, and was named in honor of D. M. Steele, President at that time of the St. Joe & Western Railway. Mr. Baker built the first house in 1873, which was used for a hotel, known as the "Steele City House." The earliest settlers in this vicinity were R. Crinklow, G. H. Sherman, James Harris and D. C. Jenkins, who located here as early as 1867. A. Baker, H. P. and A. C. Flowers, M. F. Baldwin, Finley Jenkins and N. E. Baker came in 1869-70.
Steele City is noted for the large number of highly educated people that located in the town and adjoining country; also for their morality, or more strictly speaking, the large per cent of professed Christians, far above the average of new towns in the west.
The land is considerable higher than the town site, which is just above the Little Blue bottom, and there are four unfailing springs of soft water within the limits, two of which are utilized; one for supplying the hotel and the other, provided with a small tank, answers or more than supplies the place of the "old town pump."
Just east of the town are the rich lands of the Otoe Reservation that are being settled more rapidly, perhaps, than any other lands in Southern Nebraska, as they cannot be sold to speculators.
This will enable the town to continue its rapid growth for some time. There is, of course, a limit to the rapid growth of all these inland towns or a great majority of them, as their business is governed by the farming population, and when all the lands are occupied the growth must become much slower as the surplus population will remove to newer sections of the country.
In 1879 it was organized as a village under the law of the State.
The first set of officers were: Trustees, H. P. Flowers, Chairman: W. D. Gage, N. L. Baker, R. B. Thompson and Nathan Dalley; J. H. Friday, Clerk and Treasurer.
The present city officers are: Trustees, Abner Baker, Chairman; H. P. Flowers, F. S. Zollen, T. Van Dyn, A. S. Atkinson; E. F. Lyons, Clerk and Treasurer.
The school district of Steele City is No. 1, being the first one in the county, established in 1868, before the town was thought of. Rosa Monger, from Washington, Kansas, was the first teacher. The district was quite boundless then, and from the various settlements fifteen pupils were found for the commencement.
The citizens are justly proud of their school, as the County Superintendent, who is perhaps the most competent person to judge, say that the school is not only No. 1 in order, but in merit the first school in the county. Besides thoroughness in the common branches and in discipline, they claim that every pupil that has been in the school four months is able to read music. This is unusual, considering that it includes the primary department, and it is as creditable as it is uncommon.
There are three departments, it being a graded school. The books are provided by the Board, and they have found it economical and obviating the annoyance of different series of text books, and delay on the part of many parents to supply at once the needed books.
The school building, erected in 1881, is a handsome brick structure, well arranged and ventilated, costing $6,500.
The Congregational Church was organized February, 1882, by Rev. S. C. Dean, with eleven members. There are now seventy-five. Rev. Dean and his wife were for eleven years missionaries to Western India for the American Board of Foreign Missions.
In 1875 the denomination built a $1,600 church. Rev. Mr. Dean was pastor from its organization to 1882, when on account of ill-health, he was succeeded by Rev. Edmund Cressman.
The Methodist was organized in 1872, and has been exceptionally successful.
Their number was very small at the commencement, but by perseverance and faithful labor, they have succeeded in establishing a flourishing church. In 1878 they built a commodious edifice at a cost of $1,600. They are quite out of debt and self-supporting. Rev. H. W. Warner, the pastor, held a revival in the winter of 1881-82 with excellent success, there being about fifty accessions to the church.
The Baptists have for some time held meetings, conducted by Rev. Mark Noble of Fairbury. They are contemplating an organization and the erection of a church. We have just received word that they have organized and taken steps to build a house of worship.
Independent Order Good Templars was organized January, 1882, by Hon. John Sobeski, with 150 members, but an election for permanent officers has not been held at this writing. In connection with which a reading club has been established.
The Steele City Lodge, No. 167, E. A. U., was instituted by Mr. S. S. Switzer in February, 1881. There are forty members at this date. Officers: President, E. V. Moore; Secretary, Asa E. Phelps; Treasurer, Corbly Pickern.
Mount Vernon Grange was instituted in 1874 with forty members, They built a $300 hall and have held regular meetings ever since, although the interest has materially abated. Officers: S. S. Partlow. Master; E. C. Case, Overseer; Robert Crinklow, Steward; William Ulerry, Secretary; Robert Crinklow, Treasurer and Purchasing Agent.
The Little Blue, the first newspaper in the county, was published just south of the city limits in 1867, by D. C. Jenkins, at his mills. At Freeport, on the opposite side of the river, in 1868 Nathaniel Baker commenced the publication of the Western Sun, but the high water of 1869 ruined the town, which consisted of about a dozen buildings, and the paper was not reestablished.
The Steele City Mail, started in January, 1882, is a newsy, six column folio paper, edited by Dr. W. S. George. There has been several attempts to start a permanent paper, and it is believed that this one will not suspend as soon at least as its predecessors. The Doctor conducts it in connection with practicing his profession, with the design of selling it when the county becomes more settled and his profession requires more of his time. It is a very commendable sheet, Republican in principle, and has a very fair circulation.
There is a cheese factory that is doing a good business and manufacturing an excellent cheese, but as yet they have been able to supply the home market. It being preferred at home to imported cheese, speaks well for its quality.
A good quality of lime is manufactured a few miles west of town.
Within the town limits is a vast quantity of potters' clay of a superior quality that at present is shipped to St. Joe, supplying one of the largest potteries in that city. They are expecting to soon have a manufactory established at the banks.
But flour is the principle article of manufacture, at this point there being two mills. There are three mill sites on the Little Blue within a mile owing to the fall and crookedness of the stream, giving Steele City more water power than any other locality in the state.
The Hotchkiss Mill, just south of town, was built by D. C. Jenkins in 1867, being the second mill built in the county. It is not in very good repair at present. There are two run of buhrs and a good quality of flour is made.
The Steele City mills, adjoining the north limits of the town, were built in the fall of 1881 by Joseph Stanley, under the direction of W. S. Hall, an experienced miller. In points of situation, convenience and equipment, they will compare with any in the State. The apparatus is all of the best quality and most recent patterns for making the new process patent flour. There are four run of buhrs. There are four Leffell turbine wheels, supplying sixty-four horse-power, and there is room in the flume for eighty-five horse-power. The mill is three stories above basement, costing, including the site and machinery, $21,000.
In eight years Steele City has made good and substantial progress. Commencing with the unbroken prairie, it has assumed a place and a reputation in the educational, social and business world of the West.
Its business, including the manufacture of flour and grain trade--it being one of the best grain stations of the St. Joe & Western Railroad--is quite $250,000 annually, and it will not be many years before it will be doubled.
CAPTAIN CHESTER ANDREWS, stock dealer and farmer, was born in the Western Reserve, Ohio, in 1836. In 1844 his parents moved to Illinois, settling in Tazewell County, where he remained twelve years, thence to Woodford County, and engaged in farming, remaining there until he came to Nebraska, except while in the army in 1861. Enlisted in Company I, Forty-seventh Illinois Infantry, and soon after was commissioned captain, serving three years and three months under Grant. Was married in 1865, at Murdock, Ill., to Miss S. V. Lovejoy, of that place. They have three children-Nannie, Trannie and Lydia. In the spring of 1865, settled in Nebraska, locating at Beatrice, and engaged in the stock business, remaining there about two and a half years. He then settled in Jefferson County, and located at Steele City, and engaged in the stock business, buying and feeding and shipping. Handles about 1,000 head of stock each year, and ships about 50 to 75 cars of hogs per annum. Has 120 acres of yard with timber for shelter, and has a spring with pipes running into tanks in the yards, thus having fresh, clean water for the stock. The captain is a thorough stockman; he is popular with his men. Also owns several thousand acres of rich land in Jefferson County, finely improved. Was a member of E. A. Rice Post, No. 14, G. A. R., of Steele City.
ABNER BAKER, merchant, was born in Cortland County, N. Y., in 1816, remaining there until 18 years of age, when he went to Michigan, and located in Marshall, and engaged in the manufacture of boots and shoes, and put in a stock of ready-made goods, built up a trade, and was unfortunate in losing all he had. He then went to the bench and in a short time built up a good trade again, and handled boots and shoes, remaining here until 1868, when his health failing he sold out and went to Nebraska. While in Marshall he was an active member of the School Board for eleven years, also of City Council, and was Supervisor of the County from the City of Marshall. First settled in Gage County, and took a homestead of 160 acres, remaining there until 1869, when he settled in Jefferson County, entering 280 acres of land on Section 19, Town 1, Range 4, the present village occupying a part of the land. In 1872 gave the St. Joseph & Denver R.R. Co. 60 acres of land to locate their station here, and has worked to make a town with good success. He then put up the Steele City House, which he kept until 1879. In January, 1881, put in a stock of hardware, and is running the only exclusive hardware store in the place. Has nearly 300 acres of land adjoining the town, and is engaged in farming the same. In 1871 was elected Sheriff of Jefferson County. Was the first Sheriff elected in the county. In 1839 was married at Marshall, Mich., to Miss Caroline, of that place. They have five children-Emma J., Augusta, N. L., Carrie and Abner, Jr. Mr. B. has taken a lively interest in the schools of the place, and takes pride in the fine schools they have here. He is a member of the Masonic order, is a full believer in the writings of Emanuel Swedenborg.
M. F. BALDWIN, stock-raiser, was born in Monroe County, N. Y., in 1825, remaining there until 1857. From there emigrated to Illinois, settled in Ogle County, where he was engaged in farming for about six years. He then went to Rockford, and was engaged in the J. P. Manny Reaper Works, remaining there until 1870, when he came to Nebraska, locating on Section 19, consisting of 80 acres, within 80 rods of the Steele City limits, and added about 200 acres. Here he has been engaged in raising stock and furnishing milk for the city. Is engaged quite extensively in raising hogs. Gave 20 acres of land to the R. R. Company to locate the depot at this point. He married at Buffalo, N. Y., in 1852, to Miss Harriet Merrill, of that place. They have one son Merrill, who is married, and has two small children, Lois and Irving. Is a member of the Congregational Church.
MORGAN CANE, Justice of the Peace, Steele City, Neb., was born in Canada in 1832. In 1839 his parents came to the States, and settled at Rockford, Illinois, where he lived until 1854, when he moved to Jackson County, Iowa, and engaged in farming until 1861, when he enlisted in Company B, Ninth Iowa Infantry, and in November, 1861, was detailed as a scout, and served in the infantry three years. Was in all the engagements of his regiment, and was discharged at Davenport, Iowa, in 1865, and in 1866 came to this state, and homesteaded on Sections 25 and 30, Range 3 and 4, Town 1, East. In 1874, sold his homestead and bought his present place; one-half mile north of Steele City. In 1879, on account of ill-health, moved with his family to Leadville, Colo., and was appointed Deputy United States Surveyor. In 1880 he developed his mining claim at Twin Lakes, Colo., and in 1881 returned to his farm at this place. Was married in McHenry County, Ill., in 1854, to Miss Ann Brock. They have four children--Martin, Lincoln, Clara and Marshall--the latter believed to be the oldest white child born in this county. In 1869 was elected County Surveyor, and was a member of the Board that organized the county into school districts. Was elected Justice of the Peace in 1881, and is now serving his fourth term. He is a member of the Fairbury Lodge, A. F. & A. M.
ROBERT CRINKLAW, farmer, Steele City, Neb., was born in Westminster, Canada, in 1837, remaining there until 1855, when he went to McHenry County, Ill., working on a farm until the breaking out of the late war, when he enlisted in Company A, Ninety-fifth Illinois Infantry, and served in the Western Department. In 1865 was discharged at Springfield, Ill., returning to McHenry County, and in 1866 came to this State, and located in Omaha. In 1867 came to this county, and homesteaded on Section 19, Town 1, Range 4, East. In 1872 the St. Joseph & Denver R. R., laid out the town of Steele City, a portion of the town plat embracing about ten acres of Mr. C.'s homestead. Was married at Steele City in 1874, to Miss Ida Flowers, and have two children, Frank and Robert. Mr. C. was the first Postmaster at this place, and held the office five years.
N. V. DUFF, butcher and stock-dealer, was born in Syracuse, N. Y., in 1847. In 1862 emigrated to Iowa with his parents. The following year went to Detroit, Mich., and enlisted in Company C, Fifth Michigan Cavalry. Was mustered out in June, 1865. Returning to Detroit, he went into one of the largest meat markets, and learned the trade, remaining there until 1869, going from there to Iowa, and remaining there until 1871, when he took a contract to furnish the contractors with meat on the St. Joe & Denver R. R. through Nebraska, and was engaged in this for two years. Then went to farming and stock-raising, and buying and shipping hogs. Was the heaviest shipper of hogs in Jefferson County at one time. In 1879 gave up farming, and opened a market at Steele City, remaining in the business two years. Is making arrangements to open a market during the fall of 1882. Was married in June, 1877, to Miss Annie E. Horne, of Steele City. They have two sons, Chester and Raymond.
H. P. FLOWER, Postmaster, Steele City, was born in Erie County, Pa., in 1821, and worked on the farm summers and attended school winters until 1845, when he went to Kalamazoo, Mich., where he followed farming until 1847, when he went to Mishawaka, St. Joseph Co, Ind., where he ran a hotel until 1850, when he moved to Chicago, Ill., and in the spring of 1851 took charge of a stone quarry at Batavia, Ill., for the Chicago & Galena Western R.R. While at this place he, in trying to get on the engine while in motion, slipped and fell upon the track, the engine cutting off his right leg below the knee. In 1852 entered the employ of the Southwestern Plank Road Company as tollgate-keeper, at Brush Hill, Du Page County. In 1853 went to Chicago and entered the employ of the Chicago, Galena & Western R. R., serving that Company in different capacities for sixteen years. In 1869 went to Allegan County, Mich., and in 1870 came to this State, locating at this place, in 1872 was appointed agent for the St. Joseph & Western R. R. at this place, remaining with the Company until 1876, when he went into the sale of agricultural implements. Was appointed Postmaster at this place in November, 1879. Was married at Harlem, Ill., in 1856, to Miss Ellen Reed.
WILLIAM GREEN, farmer in Section 3, Town 1, Range 4. Was born in Cumberland County, Pa., in 1827 on a farm, living there until 1849. From there he went to Johnston County, Iowa, and was engaged in farming, being one of the early settlers in that County. In 1869 was employed as salesman for an agricultural firm of Iowa City until 1878, when he came to Nebraska, and bought a section of land on the Otoe Reservation, five miles from Steele City. Was the first settler on the Reservation. Has improved his place by good buildings, and has planted seven hundred trees, both fruit and ornamental, and has about 300 acres under the plow. Was appointed County Commissioner to fill the unexpired time for 1880, and was elected in 1881 for three years. Was married in 1850 to Miss Maria Utley, of Pennsylvania. They have five children--Samuel, Mary C., Rebecca, Harry E. and Charles. Is a member of White Marble Lodge No. 238, A. F. & A. M., of Iowa, of which he was a charter member.
W. S. HALL, Manager Steele City Mills, was born in Brown County, Ill., in 1833. At the age of seven his parents moved to Missouri, remaining there until the fall of 1853, when they moved to Nemaha County, Neb., and from there went to Otoe County, and was engaged in running a circular saw-mill. In 1863 went to Richards County, and was engaged in running a saw and grist mill, remaining about eight years, thence to Lincoln, and engaged in the grocery trade for the next three years. Rented a flouring mill at Peru for about nine months, thence to Steele City, and rented the Jenkin's Mills, but the crops being poor, gave up the business, and moved to Saunders County, renting the Wahoo Mills, which he ran three years, and then ran the Saunders County Mills two years. Was at various other points until 1880, when he went to Colorado and went into the Rock Mills at Golden City, remaining until April 1, 1881, when he was employed by George F. Stendley to locate a mill at Steele City, which he did. The mill was begun in June, 1881, and was completed in December following. The size of the building is 36x40, three stories above the basement. There are three 35-inch and one 44-inch wheels, of the La Fuell make, has a small engine for heating the wheat. As it runs through the pipes to the buhrs it passes through copper cylinders about three feet in length, and there is about 75 feet of one-inch gas pipe coiled in this cylinder, and the smoke passing through heats the wheat as it passes through; has all the latest improved mill machinery. There are four bolting-reels eighteen feet of the Geo. T. Smith No. 1 double machines. The capacity of the mills is 75 barrels per day. Mr. Hall has charge of the mills, receiving a share of the profits. Mr. Hall was married in 1857 in Nemaha County, to Miss Caroline Peery, of that place. They have seven children--Mary E., Martha A., John R., William T. S., Rose P., Maggie M., and Harry F. The two oldest boys are in the mill with Mr. Hall. Is a member of Lincoln Lodge, No. 31, A. F. & A. M.
R. C. HOYT, lumber dealer, was born in Oneida County, N. Y., in 1855, remaining but a short time, when his parents moved to Fayetteville, N. Y., where they remained five or six years, from there to Brooklyn, thence to Washington, and thence to Boston. In 1871 settled in Rock Island, Ill., and engaged in the lumber trade until 1879, when he located at Steele City, Nebraska, and engaged in the lumber trade. Meeting with good success, the business has succeeded 50 per cent, since he settled here in 1881. In company with his brother, C. G. Hoyt, put in a stock of lumber at Dillon, and in November, 1881, in company with Persels & Thompson, put in a derrick hay-press, and put up a large building, and pressed and shipped 200 tons of hay, and have arranged to put up 500 tons of hay for the year 1882, the market being in St. Louis. He is also in the insurance business in company with Z. C. Tutt, and is also engaged in the grain trade. Mr. H. is a young man, but one of the most enterprising men in the town, and there is no public enterprise comes up which he does not take a part in.
J. M. MULLHOLLAND, dealer in agricultural implements, was born in Henderson County, Ill., 1846, where he lived until 1863, when he enlisted in Company L, Twelfth Illinois Cavalry, serving two years in the Gulf Department, and saw some hard service. He and his brother were the only ones who came through out of nine who went out together. Was discharged 1865, when he returned to Henderson County, and in 1866 emigrated to Iowa, and located in Powesheik County, where he engaged in farming until 1870, when he went to Wisconsin, remaining there until 1874, when he returned to Iowa, remaining there until 1879, when he settled on a farm six miles east of Steele City, Jefferson Co, remaining there two years, sold out and came to Steele City, and engaged in the farm machinery trade, April, 1881. In 1870 was married to Miss A. M. Martin, of Iowa. Their children are H. P., Reno and Ray. Is a member of I. O. O. F.
I. A. PEARSON, farmer and stock-raiser in Section 19 and 24, Town 1, Range 3. Was born in Park County, Ind., 1844. In 1850 went to Iowa with his parents, locating in Marion County. In 1862 enlisted in the Thirty-third Iowa Infantry, serving three years in the Western Department, and was in all the engagements of his regiment. In 1874 came to Nebraska, locating in Jefferson County, and put up a building, and put in the first stock of goods at Steele City. Continued in the business eight years, and was farming more or less during the time, and handled grain for a number of years. In 1880 bought the Steele City House, which he ran one year and sold out. In the same year had a railroad contract, and graded four miles of road on the B. & M. R.R.. Has 560 acres of land adjoining the town, laying on the Blue River, and has several fine springs which afford plenty of fresh water for his stock, and is making fine improvements, and when completed will be one of the finest stock farms in the State. Has 150 hogs, 80 head of cattle, and 30 head of horses, which he will increase as soon as he gets his place in shape to accommodate more. Was married in 1870, to Miss Mary E. Lines. They have four children--Emma, Earnest L., Cora May and William E. Was Postmaster for 1874 and `75.
A. L. THOMPSON, of the firm of Persels & Thompson, was born in Heath, Franklin Co., Mass. Raised on a farm until twenty-one years old. In the spring of 1868 he went to Dwight, Ill., where he remained until 1878, engaged as book-keeper for a grain firm. He then emigrated to Nebraska, and located at Steele City, and, in company with Mr. Samuel Persels bought 40 acres of land, which they laid out into town lots. They then put up a large store building, which with subsequent additions, occupies a lot 40x52 feet, a part of it one story, and the main part two and a half stories high. Put in a stock of hardware, since adding groceries, boots and shoes, hats and caps, also dealing in lime, coal, cement, etc. They are also handling grain for the firm of I. N. Speer & Co. In the fall of 1881 this firm, in company with Mr. R. C. Hoyt, at great expense, built a large hay barn for pressing baled hay. In 1870 Mr. T. was married to Miss Jennie E. Humason, of Suffield, Conn., at Dwight, Ill. They have three children--Hadley, Ira and Justin. He is also one of the School Board, and Superintendent of the Congregational Sunday School. Mr. T. is one of our self-made men, having had only a very limited chance at a district school for an education, and on account of means and poor health, was never able to confine himself to hard study in his younger days, but always a student. He takes an active part in making Steele City a live town, and by large donations for the new flouring mill and other enterprises. This point shows the character and energy of such citizens.
D. B. TOPHMAN, livery and sale stables, was born near Bridgeport, Conn. At the age of six years his parents moved to Philadelphia, remaining there until 1857, when he emigrated to Nebraska, and located at Omaha in 1859, went to the mountains in charge of a wagon train conveying freight. In July, 1861, enlisted in Company B, First Nebraska Cavalry. Going to St. Louis they were an independent company. At St. Louis they were consolidated with independent companies from Minnesota, Iowa, twelve in all, and were called the Curtis Horse Cavalry. Served four years in the army of the Cumberland, was at the battle of Fort Donelson, and saw some hard fighting. Was discharged August 18, 1865, returning to Omaha, Neb., remaining about six years. Was Deputy Sheriff a part of the time. In 1870 took a homestead on Sections 25 and 26, Town 1, Range 3, Jefferson County, which he improved and had until 1881, when he sold out and soon after went into the livery business. Was married September 12, 1865, at Philadelphia, Pa. He has two children--Samuel B. and Kate B. Is a member of E A., Rice Post, No. 14, G. A. R., of Steele City. Member of Omaha Lodge, No. 11 A., F. & A. M., of Omaha, and Omaha Royal Arch Chapter No. 1.
Z. C. TRITT, attorney, was born in Portage County, Ohio, in 1846. In 1850 his parents moved to Wisconsin, and settled in Winnebago County, and were engaged in farming, where he remained until the age of 18. Previous to this he had borrowed books and commenced reading law. In 1864 he enlisted in March in the Thirty-seventh Wisconsin Infantry, serving until July, 1865. At the battle before Petersburg, July 30, 1864, received a severe gunshot wound in the head, and was in the hospital about five months. After returning from the army, went to farming, and in 1875 again commenced reading law, and in 1877 was admitted to the bar at Oshkosh, Wis. The following year came to Nebraska, and located in Steele City, and commenced the practice of law, and also handled real estate, and in company with Mr. Hoyt in insurance. Was married in 1867, to Miss Amelia Disbrow, of Winnebago County. They have six children--Roxy L, born in October, 1868; Bertie, October, 1870; Josephine, April, 1872; Julissa, August, 1874; Louisa E., 1876, and William E., January, 1880. Is adjutant of E. A. Rice Post No. 14, G. A. R., of Steele City.
R. H. VALENTINE, stock breeder on Sections 29 and 30, Range 4, one mile from Steele City. R. H. was born in the State of New York in 1826, his parents moving to Ohio while he was quite young, and settled in Lake County, where he lived about twenty years. R. H. then went to Minnesota, and located in Fillmore County, and in company with others founded the town of Rushford. After a short time he bought an interest in a flouring mill at that place, which he and his partners run successfully until the year 1875, when it, together with the storehouse, containing 7,000 bushels of wheat, burned. The next year they built a four-story, stone mill, in which he continued his business until 1879, when he sold to his partner, and moved with his family to Nebraska, where he bought a half interest in the Salem City Mills, of Salem, Richardson Co., and the same year bought 375 acres of land in sections 29 and 30 in Jefferson County, and commenced improving for a stock farm. The land lies along the Little Blue river, with plenty of timber, and he has put up a model stock barn, and is raising Jersey and Durham stock. Has some fine blooded stock, also runs a creamery, and is shipping butter to St. Joseph, Mo. He is preparing to sow most of his land to tame grasses. Was married in 1857 at Rushford, Minn., to Miss Maggie Petrie, of that place. They have three children-F. E., the oldest, was born in Rushford in 1859, where he attended school until 1876, when he learned telegraphy, working at it in various places in Minnesota, Kansas and Nebraska, until his father started his stock farm, when he came home to assist him. The second is a daughter, Allie, born in 1861, and Harry, born in 1864, who is also assisting his father on the farm. He is also engaged quite extensively in raising hogs, the Berkshire breed.
J. F. ZOELLIN, sheep raiser, was born in Germany in 1832. In 1851 emigrated to America, and located in Philadelphia, Pa. Was employed as clerk in a banking house for about four years. In 1866 went into the wholesale drug business, which he followed until 1879. For twenty years was at the head of the firm, and worked up a huge trade, but his health was so poor that he was obliged to give up the business, and came to Nebraska. He bought land in Jefferson County, and has 600 or 700 acres of land in Sections 32 and 33, 10 and 11, Town 1, Range 4. Has erected sheep sheds, horse stables, wagon sheds, etc., and has 800 fine Merino sheep which he intends to increase to 3,000. Has about 150 acres under the plow, and has built a fine residence in Steele City, and lives there, his ranch being about four and one-half miles from Steele City. He was married in 1856, to Miss Greider, of Cumberland County, Pa. They have three boys--F. H., Eugene and Horace. Is a member of the Apollo Lodge, No. 386, A. F. & A. M.