Part 2: Fort McPherson | Indian Troubles | County Organization
Part 3: General History | The Indian War
Hunting Buffalo and Indians
Part 4: Visit of the Grand Duke Alexis | Stock-raising
Agriculture | Present Condition of the County
Part 5: North Platte: Early Reputation | Permanent Improvements
Part 6: Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Illustration: [View of North Platte - Lincoln County Court House]
The town of North Platte is located between the North and South Platte Rivers, in the triangle just above the forks, and on the Union Pacific Railroad just about half way across the county from east to west. The town was laid out in November, 1866, by Gen. G. M Dodge for the Union pacific Railroad about the time of the completion of the road to this point. The first building erected here was about this time, and constructed of cedar logs. This was erected as a store by Peniston & Miller, and is still standing and is located on the corner of Locust and Front streets. The next was an old log building removed here from Cottonwood Springs by John Burke, and occupied as a hotel. This is now used as a stable, near the corner of Pine and Front streets. Still a little later, but near the same time, store buildings were erected by McMurray Bros., L. H. Baker, R. J. Wyman, W. J. Patterson, Sr., W. M. Hinman, Charles McDonald, and many others. In fact, so rapidly did the town grow that it was but a short time until there were more than three hundred buildings in the town, and during the winter the population increased to more than five thousand. Many of these were railroad laborers and many were gamblers. In fact, by far the greater number of the population were gamblers and adventurers.
[View of North Platte - Lincoln County Court House]
From November, 1866, to June 1867, the town was made infamous by deeds of violence and disorder, done by this lawless mass of a floating population. For these few months, North Platte was in every sense of the term a frontier town, where some great event brings a mass of rough and hardy men together. The whisky saloons were continually crowded. A large number of gamblers naturally came in that they might by their tricks secure the earnings of the railroad laborers, and of the travelers who would visit the town. Drunken broils were of daily occurrence, and vice reigned supreme. The better element was powerless to enforce law and order. Neither property nor life was safe. Murder and robbery were of frequent occurrence. Some of these deeds of violence, however, were punished in the summary manner common to a town where there is no protection from the law. On one occasion the jewelry store of J. M. McLucus, who is yet doing business in North Platte, and who was for several years Treasurer of the county, was broken into by thieves and robbed; but the thieves were pursued, two of them captured and hanged, and the other shot and wounded so badly that his dead body was found some days after.
On the completion of the railroad to this point, a post office was established here, with William Healy as the first Postmaster.
During November, 1866, the first newspaper in the county was established here by a man named Freeman, and called the Pioneer on Wheels . It was printed on a large Gordon Job press, which is yet in active use in the office of the North Platte Republican, printed here.
The first practicing attorneys in the county located here about the same time. They were P. B. Enos and Beach I. Hinman.
During all this time a large amount of business was done. All was life and energy. Everything was done in a spirit of push and enterprise. A need had only to be felt and it was supplied. Difficulties that at first would seem insurmountable were overcome that this should be done.
In June, 1867, however, the railroad was completed as far west in Julesburg, and the terminus removed to that point. The town of North Platte had grown up like a mushroom: but now the greater number of the population, as well as many of the buildings, disappeared just as rapidly by removal to Julesburg and points farther west. This was very easy to accomplish, as the population was chiefly a floating class, and the buildings were generally of temporary character, being constructed of logs and rough boards, therefore were easily torn down, removed and built up again. So rapidly did the population decrease that it was only a very short time until there were less to remain and build up an enterprising town. They were people who were public spirited, who had chosen North Platte for their future home and had confidence in the future success of the town. The newspaper spoken of as having been founded here also removed to Julesburg.
From this time North Platte continued to improve. All those who settled here came with the intention of making this their future home, and, in 1868, substantial frame houses began to take the place of those of log and rough boards.
The railroad machine shops and round house had been completed and North Platte made a railroad division, which tended to bring in many residents who were in the employ of the railroad company.
In 1873, many business houses constructed of brick, were erected and the town began to rapidly assume metropolitan airs and great public spiritedness, and enterprise was manifested in the erection of public buildings. This year the neat and magnificent schoolhouse here was built. It is a brick structure and cost $16,000. Other fine buildings soon followed. The Knights of Pythias Hall was erected. Also in the year 1875 the large brick court house, one of the very finest in the State, and, indeed, only equaled by a few, was built, at a cost of $20,000.
Of late years, great attention has been given to the building of handsome and substantial residences, and the business houses are generally of a very superior order. Great care is taken to make the town appear beautiful and attractive.
The first permanent newspaper established in the county was in 1869, when Mrs. Maggie Eberhart, now Mrs. Seth Mobley, of Grand Island, established the Platte Valley Independent. She was assisted in the office by Seth Mobley, who she afterward married. Mrs. Eberhart, continued the publication of this paper about one year when she sold it to Col. J. B. Park and Guy C. Barton, who continued its publication under the anthem of the Lincoln County Advertiser. In 1872, Prof. I. W. La Munyon purchased the paper continuing it as the Advertiser.
In 1871, J. H. Peake founded the North Platte Democrat, which he published for about three years, when it was consolidated with the Advertiser , and continued under the name of the North Platte Enterprise. This paper was afterward sold to Judge A. H. Church which changed the name to the Republican in 1873, but after continuing its publication for some time, he sold it to James M. Ray, who is still its editor and proprietor. The Republican , as its name indicates, is Republican in its politics, and is a readable paper and a credit to the town.
The Western Nebraskian was established here by Judge Church as soon as he disposed of the Republican . Mr. Church still continues to publish the Nebraskian and makes it one of the best and most readable Republican newspapers published in Western Nebraska.
The North Platte Telegraph , Democratic in politics, was established April 14, 1881, by James McNulty, who though young, has for years held a reputation as one of the brightest writers in Western Nebraska, and publishes a neat and enterprising newspaper which is a credit to himself and to the town.
Each of the above three papers are liberally supported by the intelligent citizens of the town and county.
The Union Pacific Railway machine shops located here are of great importance to the town. The shops were commenced immediately after the town was laid out, and were completed in 1867. These shops are three in number, consisting of a machine shop, 100x50 feet in dimension; a blacksmith shop, 50x75 feet; and an engine-room, 35x50 feet.
On the first erection of these shops, only 110 men were employed and J. P. Marston was the first Master Mechanic. In 1872, J. H. McConnell took charge of the shops, and has been retained in that position until the present time. The number of hands have been increased until now upward of four hundred and fifty men are employed, these being machinists, blacksmiths, boiler makers, etc. The principal work is in the repairing of engines and in furnishing repairs for different portions of the engines, replacing worn or broken parts; it is estimated that these repairs, if used in construction of new locomotives, would build about three new ones each month.
At this writing, a new round-house is in course of erection. It will consist of twenty-five stalls, and it is proposed to soon increase the number to forty. This building is a very substantial one, constructed of brick, the walls being twenty-two inches thick. The arches are of stone, with iron columns. This will be the largest round-house between Omaha and Ogden.
The schools of the city are in a prosperous condition. It has been mentioned that the first school was taught here in a small log house, in 1868. This school has now increased until there are eight departments in charge of competent teachers, with an attendance of about four hundred pupils; and there are several buildings, one of which--the high school building--cost $16,000. Teachers and patrons exert every effort to make the school attractive and efficient. The schools are thoroughly graded, and are under the supervision of Prof. J. I. Nesbitt, the Principal, who also teaches the high school Department. The other departments and teachers are: Grammar Department, in charge of Miss M. S. Honn; Second Intermediate, Miss M. E.. Kelliher; First Intermediate, Miss Jennie Dillon; Primary, Miss Alice Clark; Third Ward School, Miss E. C. Casey; Third Ward Primary School, Miss -- Cleland; South Side School, Miss Etta Stebbins.
The religious denominations are well represented here, and have been from the very earliest history of the town. The first church services in North Platte were by Rev. Mr. Cooke, a Lutheran minister, who preached regularly in the old log schoolhouse, before mentioned. The first church erected was the Baptist Church, built in 1871, and which is now in charge of Rev. John McLean. The Episcopal Church was erected in 1873, and the present clergyman is Rev. W. G. Hawkins. The Catholic Church is under the charge of Father Conway. The Presbyterian Church has Rev. J. H. Burlison as pastor. The Unitarian and Lutheran denominations also have church edifices and organizations. The Methodist Church is in charge of P. C. Johnson as pastor.
The different societies having organizations are: The Freemasons, Odd Fellows, The Stephen A. Douglas Post of the Grand Army of the Republic, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen, the Knights of Pythias, the Union Pacific Library Association, the North Platte Library Association and the North Platte Building Association, organized by the mechanics, for the purpose of investing their savings in the erection of residences and business houses.
The United States Land Office for the district comprising all Western Nebraska is located at this town. A. D. Buckworth is Register, and Hon. John Taffe, a former member of Congress from this State, is the Receiver of Public Moneys.
North Platte was organized as a city December 28, 1875, with Anthony Reis as the first Mayor. The present city officials are H. N. Nichols, Mayor; S. Goozee, Clerk; L. Eells, Treasurer; W. S. Peniston, Police Judge; and I. F. Watts, Engineer.
H. W. BABB firm of Babb & Church, attorneys at law and collection agents. Located in North Platte in August, 1876, where he has since practiced law. They formed the copartnership in October 1879. He holds the offices of County and City Attorney, each by appointment. He was born in Morgan County, Ill., July 9, 1854. Began the study of law at the age of nineteen, entering Iowa State University in Iowa City, and graduated from the Law Department June 30, 1874. He was married in North Platte, Neb., September 14, 1880, to Miss Emma B. Ferguson, of Pennsylvania.
D. W. BAKER stock-raiser, located in North Platte in May, 1867, and was conductor on the Union Pacific Railroad until 1879. Engaged in stock-raising in the summer of 1871, building a stock ranch in Cheyenne County, and was interested in the business there five years, then located a ranch on the north side of North Platte River, northwest of the city, twelve miles. He moved his stock in the summer of 1881 to North Loup River, one hundred miles north of North Platte Village, and now owns 1,500 head of cattle in company with other parties. Mr. B. Is also engaged in the ice business, and has 600 tons on hand in a building 75x24 feet. He was Town Trustee when the town first started; was County Commissioner in 1874, held the office three years. Was born in Orleans County, N. Y., October 15, 1837. He has followed railroading, having been in various important positions. He enlisted in the fall of 1863, in a company in La Fayette, Ind., and served a short time; took charge of Gen. Thomas' special train running over the Southern Railroad; followed the same until the fall of 1865, then went to Logansport, Ind., and was conductor on Chicago and Great Eastern Railroad until the spring of 1867. He was married in Omaha, Neb., in July, 1872, to Margaret McKeown, of Belfast, Ireland. They have one daughter--Anna Gertrude born May 9, 1877.
JUDGE J. W. BIXLER, County Judge of Lincoln County, Neb., located in North Platte in June, 1880. He was born in Kendallville, Ind., May 23, 1842. He attended the high school of the native place, and enlisted as a drummer in Company F, Thirtieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry in August, 1861; served as drummer and principal musician of his regiment two years. Was then promoted Second Lieutenant of Company D, same regiment, from that to First Lieutenant, in which capacity he served until December, 1865. He was Provost Marshall of First Division, Fourth Army Corp and Provost Marshal of Central District of Texas during his latter service. He participated in about thirty of the principal battles of the Army of the Cumberland, and of the Army of Ohio. He returned to his old home as an invalid from the effects of service where he remained five years. He was appointed examiner of claims in General Land Office at Washington, D.C., in 1870, which position he occupied until 1877. He then was elected to the office of District Attorney in Kendallville, Ind. which he occupied about two years, after which he moved to North Platte, Neb., and was elected County Judge in November 1881. He is also clerk in the United States Land Office at the latter city. He graduated from the Law Department of the Columbia University in Washington, D.C. in the class of 1872, and has practiced law in the District of Columbia, Indiana and North Platte.
GEORGE W. BOYDEN, attorney and counselor at law, located in Omaha in 1871, and practiced law a year, then engaged as stenographer and private secretary for E. P. Vinney, a general freight agent, where he remained until February 28, 1882, and resigned and came to North Platte to follow his chosen profession in the practice of law. He is at present Secretary of the Nebraska State Stenographer's Association, which is composed of thirty practical stenographers who command salaries of from $1,500 to $2,500 per year. Mr. B. is now examining chancery for United States Courts for the District of Nebraska. He was born in Robbinston, Me., September 15, 1852. Finished his education in Washington, D.C. Graduating from the Law Department of Howard University in February, 1874. Was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of the District of Columbia in March, 1874. He was Government Clerk in United States Land Office in Washington D. C. From 1869 to 1874. Was married in Omaha, Neb., March 29, 1876, to Miss E. J. Crum, of Baldwinsville, N. Y. They have a son--Arthur N. His wife is proprietress of the Boyden House in North Platte, a first class hotel, where they have accommodations for thirty guests. Hotel erected in 1882.
JOHN BRATT, firm of John Bratt & Co., stock growers, and dealers in fresh and salt meats. Own several ranches north of the North Platte River, west of North Platte City. They have a herd of 10,000 cattle (more or less). He was born in England August 9, 1842; came to America in 1861; remained in Chicago a short time-speculating in stocks. October, 1864, was shipwrecked on the "Victor" in the Gulf of Mexico, where he lost every cent, all clothing and luggage. For services rendered in saving life and property, he was handsomely rewarded by the owners of the "Victor". He then went to New Orleans and was engaged by Messrs. Frazele & O'Hay, contractors; continued until the spring of 1865. He then came to Nebraska City and drove an ox-team to Montana. At Ft. Phil Kearney, became acquainted with the firm with whom he is now in company, working first in various capacities, and lastly a partner. Was at Ft. Mitchell part of the year 1866, sent by his firm to Pine Bluff, Union Pacific Railroad, thence to Ft. Sanders, until fall of 1867, then to Sherman Station until the summer of 1869. In the fall of that year, was sent to Ft. McPherson to superintend a Government hay contract. Became a partner of Coe & Carter in the cattle business November, 1869. They produce their own beef, employ from fifteen to twenty men. He was County Commissioner of Frontier County two terms, and helped to organize the same. Has held other important offices.
ALONZO H. CHURCH, firm of Babb & Church, attorney at law and editor of Western Nebraskian. He located in Omaha in 1872, and was book and time keeper at the Union Pacific Railroad Shops, Omaha, six months. He moved to North Platte, Neb., in October, 1872, and took charge of the Eastern and Mountain Divisions of Union Pacific Railroad as book and time-keeper, in which capacity he was engaged a year. He was admitted to the bar by the District Court, September, 1873; was elected County Judge of Lincoln County in 1873, and held the office three consecutive terms, until January, 1889. He was Moderator of the village school board three years, in which administration a fine brick building was erected. He was Police Judge in 1877-79. He is Chairman of the Fifth Judicial District Republican Central Committee, and was a member of State Central Committee four years; was a candidate for member of Constitutional Convention in 1875, and for the Legislature in 1890. Was born in Green County, Ill. June, 16, 1844, and was raised in Springfield, same state. He enlisted in 1872, in Company G, One Hundred and Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was made Orderly Sergeant. He participated in the siege of Vicksburg and the battles of Jackson, Gun Town, College Hill, La Grange, Mechanicsville, Black River and many skirmishes, was captured at Gun Town in June, 1864, and taken to Andersonville Prison and confined as a prisoner nine months, and exchanged February 26, 1865, mustered out in June same year. He then engaged in Journal office in Springfield, Ill., as mail and advertising clerk until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Springfield, Ill., in 1866 to Miss Annie McConnell of New York State, they had one daughter-Maud C. His wife died September 3, 1873. He was again married October 23, 1877, to Miss Annie F. Ferguson, of Johnstown, Penn. He is a member of Stephen A. Douglas Post, No. 69, G.A.R. and Officer of the Day for same. He is also a member of K. of P., Platte Valley Lodge, No. 28.
P. J. COHN, dealer in clothing and gent's furnishing goods. He opened the business in February, 1874, employs four men, and carries a stock varying in value from $20,000 to $30,000. His store is known as Star Clothing House. He was born in Germany April 23, 1849; came to America in 1863, located in St. Louis, Mo., and was brought up in a store. He was traveling salesman for A. Frank & Son, wholesale dry goods merchants of the latter city, four and a half years. He was married in Cincinnati, Ohio, March 24, 1880, to Miss Blondina Klein, a native of the latter city, and a daughter of Herman Klein, proprietor of Star Hosiery Mills. They have one daughter--Alice Bohn, born April 15, 1881. He is a chapter member of the Masonic order of St. Louis, Mo., also Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York City, and K. Of H. of North Platte Nebraska Lodge No. 1.474.
ALBERT COOLIDGE, stock-raiser and farmer, has 240 acres of land deeded; half section on a twenty-five year lease, keeps 200 head of cattle and 300 sheep, is located five miles north of North Platte City; moved on his stock ranch in July 1875. He first came to Omaha in 1865, and went into the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad Company in various capacities and continued for the above company, coming to North Platte in 1869, then engaged in stock-raising. He was born in Hillsboro, N. H., same county, April 1, 1844; moved with his parents to Massachusetts in 1861, clerked in store two years. He then came to Fond du Lac County, Wis., and taught school some time. He went to Clarence, Linn Co., Iowa in the employ of the North Western Railroad Company same time, then in the employ of Ordinance Department of the United States Government at Nashville, Tenn., until May, 1865. He was married in Hillsboro, N. H., 1871, to Miss Delia A. Crooker; they have two children--Hattie M. and Maude L.
C. L. COOPER, proprietor of livery, sale and feed stable, opened business in the winter of 1870, it being the first established business of the kind in the city. He was born in Howard Co., Mo., December, 1822, where he lived until he was sixteen, then went to Santa Fe, New Mexico, a short time, and enlisted in Company A, Hamilton's Cavalry; was mustered out December 12, 1848, being engaged in seven of the most important battles in Mexico, besides many Indian fights previous to war in the latter country. He returned to his native country and fitted out a train of two wagons, ten yoke of cattle, five persons and three saddle-horses, and crossed the Great Western plains from the East. He began a small trading post on Hang Town roads, which he continued for years. He also went to California in 1852-53-54, driving cattle across the plains each time, and returning to Missouri each time by water. In 1855, he came overland to Ft. Laramie, camping with Indians in many places. His outfit consisted of twelve pack mules, two half-breeds and three whites; they had much trouble with Indians, going to old Ft. Kearney and remaining ten days; he then proceeded to his native country and engaged in the live-stock business. From 1856 to 1859, drove stock from Old Mexico to the Northern States for sale. In 1860, he went to Denver, Colo., on a trading expedition, and remained until 1863; then returned and made headquarters in Plattsmouth, Neb., and followed freighting stock business, etc. Came to North Platte in 1874. He was married in Plattsmouth, Neb., in 1864 to Miss Mary E. Minchell, of Ohio; they have two sons--Frank J. and Charles Robert. Mr. C. was Mayor of Plattsmouth, Neb., two years, and a member of the Lincoln County Board three years.
EDWIN M. DAY, attorney at law, and proprietor of photograph gallery, North Platte, Neb., was born in Princeton, Bureau Co., Ill., September 25, 1845. He was brought up on a farm, and entered Lombard University at Galesburg, Ill., in 1863. In August, 1864, he enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Forty-sixth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry; served to the end of the war, and was mustered out of the service at Camp Butler, near Springfield, Ill., in 1865. He soon went to Denver, Colo., where he engaged as a clerk and book keeper in a store. He returned to Bureau County, Ill., and was married, December 3, 1867, to Miss Mary A. Sisson, of the same county. They have four children--Myrtle E., Edwin S., Jr., Pearle L. and Maggie E. He moved to Iowa in 1869. During the succeeding seven years, he was engaged in publishing several newspapers, among which were the Guthrie County Union, Brooklyn Journal and Iowa State Grander, the latter at the Des Moines, Iowa. He located at Sidney, Neb., in 1877, and was a Principal of the Sidney Schools for two years, and County Superintendent of Cheyenne County a year. He was admitted to the bar in 1879, by Judge William Gaslin, of the Fifth District, and at once commenced the practice of law. In 1881, he removed to North Platte, Neb., and established himself in business, dividing his time between the art of photography, and the practice of law. He was instrumental in organizing Stephen A. Douglas Post, No. 69, G. A. R., and in January was elected Commander by the Post. At the meeting of the Grand Army Encampment, he was elected member of the Council of Administration for Nebraska.
ORREN G. DODGE, foreman of tin, sheet, iron and copper shop, locomotive department; has almost fifteen men under his supervision. He located in Omaha, Neb., in 1867; engaged in railroading for Union Pacific Company as journeyman coppersmith four years. He then became foreman of the same branch of work until September, 1880. He then engaged in the business of plumbing and gas-fitting in Omaha a year, employing about twelve hands in the business. He was born in Franklin County, Me., November 4, 1841; lived in his native State until 1862; went to Pittsburgh, Penn., and learned his trade, and remained until he came West. He was married, in Pittsburgh, Penn., in 1868 to Miss Annie J. Mahon, of the latter city. They have five children--Joseph Curtis, Anna Josephine, Mary Elizabeth, Orren G. Jr., and Ralph Waldo. He is a member of the State Lodge, No. 10, I. O. O. F. He served two terms in the City Council of Omaha.
DR. N. F. DONALDSON, physician and surgeon, located in North Platte June 1, 1880, and continued the practice of medicine. He is physician and surgeon for the Union Pacific Railroad Company. He was born in Youngstown, Ohio, January 23, 1847. His father, F. Donaldson, was a physician and surgeon. The subject of this sketch was, therefore, brought up in the profession. His parents moved to Greenville, Penn., when he was a small boy. He entered the University of Buffalo, N. Y., as a student in 1865, remaining some time. Returned home, and practiced with his father until the winter of 1879, when he went to Baltimore, Md., and graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in the spring of 1880. Was married, in Omaha, in 1876, to Miss Lizzie Little, a daughter of Rev. George L. Little. His native place is Franklin, Penn. Mr. D is a member of the Masonic Order and I. O. O. F. of Iowa.
T. J. FOLEY, merchant, came to North Platte in 1869, and commenced business in 1871. It is now the oldest as well as the largest concern in Western Nebraska, and the reputation of its management is unquestioned. He is also a large owner in a stock company, whose cattle range on the North Loup and Snake Rivers, and the number is estimated at 6,000 head. Born in Ireland in 1850.
EDWIN R. GRIFFIN, ticket and freight agent for the Union Pacific Railroad. He came to Omaha in 1874, and was telegraph operator for the above company until the fall of 1874. He then went to Kearney Junction in the same capacity until 1876. He then took the position of cashier of freight office for same company at Cheyenne, W. T. until February, 1881. He then came to North Platte. He was born in Mason, Ingham Co., Mich., in 1856. He learned operating in his native place, and followed the occupation three years before coming West. He is a member of Knights of Honor, Harmony Lodge, No. 1,474. He was married, in Kearney, in 1880 to Miss Louie Wilson, of Illinois.
C. F. GRONER, Sheriff, Lincoln County, Neb., located in North Platte July 8, 1867. Drove team about six months, then engaged in railroading until 1874; kept hotel a year, then ran an engine until October 15, 1876; afterward kept hotel until he was elected Sheriff in fall of 1877, since which time he has been Sheriff by virtue of re-elections. He has taken about thirty prisoners to the State Prison during his term of office. He has made several important arrests, and has frequently been shot at when making arrests. He was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, April 10, 1845. He enlisted, in 1862, in Company D, Seventy-second Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and participated in fourteen general engagements. Was wounded six time, and now draws a pension of $18 per month. Was mustered out in Milwaukee, Wis., in 1865. Was married, in Omaha, in May 1873, to Miss Elsie Ring, of Perry County, Ohio. They have one son--Chauncey W. Mr. G. is a member of Stephen A. Douglas Post. No. 69, G. A. R.; also Masonic Order of Grand Island, I. O. O. F. of North Platte, and Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.
A. B. HALL, dairyman and stock-raiser; located in North Platte in 1871, and lived until the fall of 1872; then moved on his farm, and began the business in the spring of 1873. He keeps about 30 milk cows, 120 head of cattle, a few horses and owns about 700 acres of land. Has a grove of timber, and other improvements. He was born in Oswego County, N. Y. They have one daughter--Marion L. now married to Mr. John Evens, and living on a ranch near by.
E. W. HAMMOND, dealer in cigars, tobaccos, confectionery, toys, etc. Opened the business in September, 1880. He located in North Platte in 1874, and followed the occupation of brakeman on the Union Pacific Railroad a year or over. He then was promoted to conductor of a freight train, in which capacity he continued until the last of August, 1880. He was born in Watkins, Schuyler Co., N. Y., December 18, 1845. Lived in his native State until he was twenty, then visited various portions of Illinois, and went to Dayton, Ohio, in 1870, and engaged in the omnibus business, and followed railroading on the Cincinnati & Dayton Railroad until he came to Nebraska. He was married, in Dayton, in 1871, to Miss Sarah B. Dille, of the latter city. They have one daughter--Katie G. Mr. H. is a member of the Masonic order of his village.
FRED HANLON, bridge-watcher for Union Pacific Company, located in Sherman Wyoming, in 1866, and worked for the Union Pacific Railroad Company as bridge-builder a few months, then watched bridge in Antelope, Neb., ten months, then to Pine Bluffs, Wyoming, and watched bridge two years; then to Roscoe, Neb., as section-keeper about a year; then to Omaha and worked at car repairing a year; then to North Platte, as above occupied, and has watched the bridge since 1871. He was born in Ireland March 16, 1844, and came to America in 1856. He lived in Canada; enlisted in Cincinnati, Ohio, in the fall of 1869, in the United States Navy; served one year; returned to the latter city and lived there until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Omaha, in 1870, to Miss Margaret Conery, a native of Ireland. They have three children--Mary E., Lizzie and John. He is a member of Stephen A. Douglas Post No. 69, G. A. R. He is also engaged in the stock business, and sold $1,000 worth in the spring of 1882. He now owns sixty five head of cattle.
WILLIAM HURBARTT, dairyman and stock-raiser. His farm is one and half miles northeast of North Platte, on the north side of the river of the same name. He keeps about forty milch cows, and supplies the city with milk. He also owns about one hundred head of cattle and eighty head of horses. He has over six hundred-acres of fine land, with 100 acres of it under cultivation. He located on his ranch in the spring of 1872. He was born in Fayette County, Ind., where he lived until the latter part of 1861, and enlisted in the Fourteenth Indiana Battery, and participated in the battle of Shiloh, Corinth, Parker's Cross Roads, Gun Town, Nashville, Mobile and many skirmishes. He was mustered out in Dolphene, Ala., in 1865. He was married in Huntington County, Ind., in 1866, to Mary Ann Hart, of the latter county. They have six children--John Wesley, Ellenora, Emanuel Theophilus, Henry Ulysses, Orlando and Josephus. He is a member of Stephen A. Douglas Post, No. 69, G. A. R.