Part 2: Fort McPherson | Indian Troubles | County Organization
Part 3: General History | The Indian War
Hunting Buffalo and Indians
Part 4: Visit of the Grand Duke Alexis | Stock-raising
Agriculture | Present Condition of the County
Part 5: North Platte: Early Reputation | Permanent Improvements
Part 6: Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Illustration: [View of North Platte - Lincoln County Court House]
BEACH I. HINMAN, attorney at law, firm of Hinman & Neville. He located in Cottonwood Springs, Neb., in 1860, and ran an overland ranch for the traveling public; also traded with the Indians, etc., one and one half years. He then went to Plattsmouth, Neb., and practiced law in Montana Territory, and followed mining two and a half years, after which he returned to Lincoln, Neb., in November 1866, and practiced law near North Platte, until the spring of 1867; then located in the village of the same name, where he has since practiced his chosen profession. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1871, and again in 1875, was a member of the State Senate in 1877; was a candidate for District Judge in 1875, and a candidate for Elector of Hancock in 1880. He was born in Wysox, Bradford Co., Penn., May 23, 1829. He lived in his native county until 1854, when he went to Belvidere, Ill., and was Deputy County Clerk of the District Court until May, 1855, when he removed to Leavenworth Kan., and wrestled for a living, farming, haying, etc. until in the fall of 1855, returned to his home in Pennsylvania, and farmed two years; then moved to Wright County, Minn., and practiced law three years in Monticello; was admitted to the bar in 1858. He graduated from the University of Franklin, Susquehanna Co., Penn., in 1948. He was District Attorney in Plattsmouth, Neb., one term. Was County Attorney of Lincoln County, Neb., from 1868 to 1876. He was married in Plattsmouth, in November 1869, to Miss Sarah E. Minshall, of Norwalk, Ohio. They have two children--Curtis and Corie. He is a member of the Knights Templar Lodge of Grand Island.
J. D. JACKSON, dealer in flour, feed and provisions, opened business in March, 1882. He located near Republican City, Harlan County, Neb., in the fall of 1879, on a homestead; was also engaged as clerk in a lumber yard for one and a half years at Naponee, Alma, Arapahoe, etc. He was born in Addison County, VI, October 19, 1840. He lived in his native county until 1959. His parents then moved to Manitowoc County, Wis. He lived three years in Rapids of same name, and lived in the latter county until 1873, when he moved to Boone County, Iowa, and engaged in buying grain and live stock about five years. He enlisted May 5, 1861, to Company A. Fifth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He was with the Army of the Potomac, in the many engagements, skirmishes, etc. He was wounded, May 5, 1864, in the battle of the Wilderness. He was mustered out in Madison, Wis., at the end of the war. He was married in Manitowoc, Wis., in 1866, to Miss Lucy J. Carr, of St. Lawrence County, N. Y. They have five children--James P., Faye J., Perry E., Pearl H., and Rolland D. He is a member of Sedgwick Post, No. 1,G. A. R., of Kearney, Neb.
S. P. LAING, dealer in hard and soft coal, being the only party in the city in that business. He sells in business season about fifteen car-loads per month. He began the business in November, 1881. He located in North Platte in 1870, and engaged as conductor for the Union Pacific Railroad Company four years. He then engaged in the cattle business eight years in company with his brother, G. A. Laing, owning a ranch on the head of North Loup River, 125 miles northwest of the village. They owned at one time 2,500 head of cattle. He was born in Laingsburg, Shiawassee County, Mich., July 26, 1842. He enlisted in Company D, First Michigan Cavalry, in the fall of 1864, and was stationed at Alexandria, Va.; also did duty as scout on the frontiers of Colorado and Wyoming. He was mustered out in April, 1866. He engaged in mining until 1868, then worked on a construction train for the Union Pacific Company from Cheyenne, Wyoming, west, until he came to North Platte. He was married in his native village in 1867, to Miss A. I. Herrington, of the same place. They have one son--Roy G. Mr. L. is a member of the Masonic order.
DR. F. H. LONGLEY, physician and surgeon, located in Omaha in the spring of 1867, where he practiced medicine for two years, going to Blair, Neb., in the spring of 1869, and practiced three years. He was then appointed Receiver in the United States Land Office at North Platte, Neb., where he located in August 1872, which position he occupied until April 1975. He was Receiver and Disbursing Agent for the Western States Pension Bureau, for North Platte, and County Physician for Lincoln County. He was born in Bingham, Somerset Co., Me., March 7, 1833, he began the study of medicine in Gardiner, Me., with Dr. Stephen Whitmore. He took his first course in medicine in Bowdoin Medical College, in Brunswick, Me., entering on the same February 8, 1855. He went to Plainfield, Wis., in the fall of 1856, and practiced until the winter of 1859, and the following spring went to Scott River, Siskiyou County, Cal., where he practiced medicine and operated a drug store, and was Postmaster, which he continued until October, 1862, at which time he was appointed Assistant Assessor of Internal Revenue, and moved to Yreka, holding the latter position for four years. In the meantime, July 27, 1863, he was appointed Deputy United States Collector and Inspector of tobaccos, liquors and cigars, and held the same until the fall of 1866, at which time he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and took his next course of lectures the same fall in the Eclectic Medical Institute, receiving the degree of M. D. He was married April 24, 1877, in Kenosha county, Wis., to Miss Anna E. Rhodes, of Somers in the latter county. She was born April 14, 1845, They have one son--Jonas Rhodes Longley, born July 17, 1879. Dr. L. was appointed Regent of the State University of Nebraska in 1869, for a term of six years. He owns a stock ranch three miles southwest of North Platte, on which he now has 100 head of cattle, and about fifteen hundred acres of deeded land in the county, considerable of which is fenced and improved. The Doctor stands high in his profession as a physician and surgeon, being favored with the best practice in the vicinity.
J.H. McCONNELL, Master Mechanic of the Union Pacific Railroad shops at North Platte, Neb., He located in the above city in June, 1872. He came to Omaha in 1868, and was general foreman of the Union Pacific machine shops until 1872; then took his present position. He has charge of about four hundred men. He is a member of a cattle and ranch firm known as The Figure Four Cattle Company. They own a ranch on the head-waters of North Loup; 135 miles northwest of North Platte, which contains 4,000 head of cattle. They own several other ranches. Mr. McConnell was born in Elmira N. Y., September 29, 1843. He began serving his time as machinist in Springfield, Ill., where he was an apprentice four years. He afterward worked in Jacksonville, Galesburg and Quincy, Ill., as machinist. Mr. McConnell is also Town Lot and Land Agent for the Union Pacific Company. He is a member of the Masonic order of North Platte.
JOSEPH MACKLE, County Clerk and Clerk of the Court of Lincoln County, located in North Platte in 1869, and opened a general grocery store, which business he carried on a year, sold out and engaged in stock-raising and farming four years. Then engaged in contracting and hauling freight for the United States Government three years, after which he followed stock-raising, until he was elected County Clerk in 1879, and by re-election, has since occupied the office. He was born in Ireland January 6, 1839 and came to America in 1858, and worked on a farm for $8 per month on Long Island, N. Y., about a year. He then went to the Indian Territory, in the employ of the United States Government, until the breaking-out of the rebellion, and in 1861 enlisted in the First Regular Infantry Regiment as a private; was promoted, September 1, 1863, to Adjutant of the Fifteenth Regiment Kansas Cavalry, and served until October 27, 1867. He was elected City Marshal of Leavenworth Kan, two terms, after which he went to Fort Saunders, Wyoming, Wyoming Ter., and engaged as book-keeper one and a half years. He then came to North Platte. He was married in Leavenworth, Kan., in 1863, to Miss Mary Delmore, of New York City.
A. J. MILLER, stock-raiser and farmer, located at O'Fallon's Bluffs, Neb., in the spring of 1858, and worked at various occupations; went to Salt Lake City and remained until 1859, then went into general merchandising at Coldwater, sixty miles west of Kearney, Neb., and remained until 1868, when he located at North Platte, Neb. He hauled lumber from Cherry Creek, twenty miles above Denver, Colo., fully three hundred miles, and built the first house in North Platte, where he opened a general stock of merchandise October 9, 1866, and continued until the fall of 1872. He opened a livery stable in 1874, and continued in the same until 1877. He then moved four and one half miles southwest of North Platte, and opened what is known as the Elkhorn Ranch. It contains 1,280 acres of land. He owns 100 head of horses, forty of which are very fine blooded stock, consisting of the breeds of Canadian, Black Hawk, Gold Dust, Hambletonian, Cays, etc. He has also some fine cattle. His farm is nicely watered, and contains a large amount of the meadow land. He was born in Marion, Wayne County, N. Y., August 14, 1836. His parents moved to Cayuga County, locating at Auburn,. N. Y., He went to Southern Illinois in 1856; spent one summer in Kansas City, etc. He married in Auburn. N. Y., March 15, 1865, to Miss Catharine M. Welty, of the latter city. They have two children--William S. And Nellie Louise. He is a member of the Capitol Lodge, No. 3, of Omaha, A. F. & A. M., and has been a member of the County Commissioners.
WILLIAM NEVILLE, of the firm of Hinman & Neville, attorneys at law. Mr. N. came to Omaha, Neb., in May 1874, and practiced law until April, 1877, at which time he located in North Platte, and became a partner of the above firm. He was born in Washington County, Ill., December 29, 1843. His parents moved to Chester, Southern Illinois, when he was about eight years old. He entered the McKendrae College of Lebanon, Ill., and attended until he enlisted in May, 1864, in Company H, One Hundred and Forty-second Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was first duty Sergeant, and was mustered out in Camp Frye, Chicago, Ill., November 3, 1864. He taught three or four terms of school in Randolph County, Ill. He then was engineer on a steamer on the Mississippi River, until 1869, being promoted to the captaincy of the same. He began the study of law under J. Perry Johnson, of Chester, Ill. His father, Harvey Neville, was a practicing lawyer, and William studied at home, taught school, and was admitted to the bar of practice. He was a Delegate to the Cincinnati National Convention in 1872. The same year he was elected to the Illinois Legislature, and, at the close of the session of 1874, came to Omaha. In the fall of 1876, he was elected to the Nebraska legislature. He took his seat in January, 1877, and at the close of session of April, 1877, came to North Platte.
H. N. NICHOLS, President of the banking house of H. N. Nichols & Co., opened business December 1, 1881, with D. Heffleman as Cashier. Deposits equaled $40,000 up to April, 1882. Mr. N is also largely interested in the stock business under the firm name of Nichols, Beach & Co. They opened a stock ranch twenty-five miles southeast of North Platte; another, forty-five miles, and still another, sixty-five miles in the same direction, located in Lincoln and Dawson Counties, in September, 1874, on which they own 10,000 head of fine cattle. They also opened two ranches in July, 1881, 175 miles northwest of North Platte on a small tributary of the Running Water, where they have between 6,000 and 7,000 head of graded stock. They own 1,000 head of steers fifty miles north of North Platte, which they will ship in the season of 1882. Mr. N. has been Mayor of the city of North Platte two years. He was born in Uniondale, Susquehanna County, Penn., July 25, 1847. He was married in Smarley, in the same county, in 1873, to Miss Mary Smarley, of the same place. They have one son-Howard S. Mr. N. is a member of the Masonic order of North Platte, and a leading business man of the latter city.
JOHN H. OWEN, foreman in boiler shops Union Pacific Railroad Company at North Platte, has from fifteen to twenty-five men under his supervision. He came to Omaha in 1867, and engaged in boiler-making until 1870, since which time he has worked at the business west of Omaha. He has been at North Platte since 1874. He was born in Wales, August 7, 1842, and came to America in 1848, with his parents, locating in Rochester, N. Y., until 1863; was in the army a short time during the rebellion. He went to Chicago in 1863, and followed boiler-making until he came to Omaha. He was married in Wyoming Territory in 1872, to Miss Jane E. Boyd, of New Haven, Conn. They have four children, Bertha, Thomas, William and Maggie.
THOMAS C. PATTERSON, located in North Platte in the fall of 1868; engaged in the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad nearly two years, first as fireman, then as blacksmith, until the fall of 1870, when he engaged to teach the district school, which he taught until June, 1871, when he was appointed Postmaster by U. S. Grant, and held the office until June 1, 1882. He is now engaged in the real estate and insurance business. He was born in County Down, Ireland, February 3, 1846; came with his parents to America in 1854, and settled in Paterson, N. J., where they lived about two years; then went to Chicago, Ill, where they resided, and at Joliet, until he came West. He enlisted in November, 1862, in Company E, Nineteenth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in which he served until July 4, `1864, when he was transferred to Bridge's Battery, afterward Company B First Illinois Light Artillery, and participated in the battles of Tullahoma, Chattanooga and the Atlanta campaign, including the battles of Buzzard's Roost, Resaca, New Hope Church, Kenesaw Mountain, Chattahoochie River, Peach Tree Creek, Jonesboro and Siege of Atlanta, Franklin and Nashville. Mustered out in Chicago, July 9, 1865. He was married in the latter city to Miss M. V. Morris, of Beaver, Penn. They have three children--Emma L., George T., and Ruth M. He is a member of the Stephen A. Douglas Post, No. 69, G.A.R.
WILLIAM J. PATTERSON, proprietor wagon and blacksmith shop and manufacturer and repairer of wagons, etc. Opened business of May, 1873; employs four men. He located in Omaha and worked there a short time in 1867; came to North Platte and worked for the Union Pacific Railroad Company as blacksmith eight years, but previously opened his present business. He was born in Scotland, October 10, 1825, and came to America in 1852, and worked at his trade in Paterson, N. J., four years. Then came to Chicago, Ill., and followed his calling until he came to Nebraska. He has filled the office of Justice of the Peace, School Treasurer, and has been Alderman of North Platte, six years. He was married in Belfast, Ireland, in 1845, to Miss Mary Cartwright, of the latter city. They have six children-Thomas C., Postmaster; Robert, now in Golden, Colo., and is an engineer and machinist; David, also a machinist in Union Pacific shops in North Platte; William J., conductor of a freight train, and living in North Platte; Clinton L., assisting his father; Cochran C. Brakeman on Union Pacific Railroad, residence in North Platte. Mr. P. is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.
JOHN M. RANDOLPH, manager of a lumber yard, where he keeps on hand and for sale all grades of lumber and building materials. Opened the business February 1, 1882, and keeps a stock of $5,000 worth. Mr. R., located in Wymore, Gage Co., Neb., June 6, 1881, and worked in the lumber business until March 18, 1882; then came to North Platte and took charge of the above business, which had previously been opened. He was born in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, August 28, 1844. At a suitable age, he became clerk in a hardware store for some time; then became proprietor of the business; in about three years sold out and went to Wichita, Kan., and engaged as clerk in a lumber yard, until 1874. Then went to San Antonio, Texas, and engaged in the cattle business, handling brands for various parties, etc.
JAMES M. RAY, editor and proprietor of the North Platte Republican , came to Nebraska in April, 1868, and engaged in work in a saw-mill, north of Omaha, where he remained two years. He then taught school and ran engines in Burt County, until 1874, when he began to learn the printer's trade. In 1875, he removed to North Platte, where he has ever since resided. He was born on what is now the town site of Leavenworth, Kan., on the 6th day of September, 1846, being the first white child born in the present State of Kansas. He was married in the fall of 1877, to Miss Lucy J. Daugherty, of North Platte. They have one child-Ralph, born Christmas, 1880. During the war, James M. Ray served as a private in Company B, Forty-fourth Iowa Infantry. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and has held several important offices in the lodge.
ANTHONY RIES, located in Omaha, Neb., in the spring of 1868, and went into the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad Company as gang foreman of car repair shops four years; then moved to North Platte, and in June, 1872, became foreman of the car department, which position he filled until April 1, 1882, and resigned. He was appointed Postmaster in March and confirmed April 12, 1882. He was elected Mayor of North Platte in the spring of 1875, and re-elected by unanimous vote the following spring to the same office. He was elected a member of the State Legislature in the fall of 1876; elected County Treasurer in the fall of 1878; re-elected to the same office in the fall of 1880. He was born in Baden, German, March 10, 1845; came to America with his parents in 1850, locating in Milwaukee, Wis., and lived there until he came to Nebraska. He enlisted in Company F, Fifty-first Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry in 1864, and participated in guerrilla warfare in Missouri. He was mustered out in Madison, Wis., in July, 1865. He is a member of Stephen A. Douglas Post, No. 69, G. A. R. He is a member of the Chapter and Commandery Lodges of A. F. & A. M.; also I. O. O. F., K. Of H. of North Platte. He was married in Milwaukee, Wis., in 1866, to Miss Lena Burke, of the latter city. They have two children-Anthony and Jessie.
JOSEPH SCHATZ, foreman of Union Pacific blacksmith shops. Has from forty two to fifty men under his supervision. He located in Omaha, Neb., in 1868, and worked at his trade for the above company until 1874, then came to North Platte, worked about two years for the above company, then became foreman. He was born in Germany January 14, 1844, learned his trade partially in his native country. Came to America in 1861, locating in Columbus, Ohio, followed his trade a few months, then came to Jacksonville, Ill., and followed his trade until he came to Omaha. He was married in the latter place in 1869, to Miss Hattie Fisher, of the same place; they have four children-Julia E., John G., George M., and Lena.
JUDGE GEORGE T. SNELLING, Police Judge of North Platte, also contractor and builder. He located in the above city May 18, 1875, and took charge of a large stockyard until November 1876, after which he engaged in contracting and building, He employs about eight men in the business. He was elected Police Judge in April, 1882. Has been Justice of the Peace since 1878. He was born in Franklin County, Ky., September, 26, 1836, lived in his native State until he was twenty-one, and moved to Jacksonville, Ill., and farmed until the war broke out, enlisting in August, 1861. He enlisted in Company I, Tenth Illinois Cavalry, and served as Captain of same until February, 1863, when he was promoted to First Major and held that office until he was mustered out in January, 1875; participated in the battles of Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove, Helena, taking of Little Rock, Sale River Bridge., etc. He was chief clerk in Provost Marshal's office in Jacksonville., Ill., of Tenth District, and took charge of the second draft in 1865. He engaged as contractor and builder at Macon., Mo., two years; then to Nebraska City two years in same business; then to Wathena, Kan., in the construction of railroads until May 1875. Was married in Jacksonville, Ill., in 1859, to Miss Eliza A. Galloway, of Anderson County, Ky; they have four children- William Edgar, Ernest Don Carlos, Maude and Bessie. He is a member of Stephen A. Douglas Post, No., 69, G. A. R., and Adjutant of the same. He is also a member of I. O. O. F.
H. I. SWARTHOUT, firm of Ridgeway & Swarthout, dealers in flour, feed, groceries and provisions, employ four men and carry a stock of about $5,000. Mr. S. located in North Platte, Neb., March 24, 1876, and clerked in a grocery four years, and about six months in a dry goods store, when he opened the above business. He was born in Schoharie County, N. Y., December 4, 1850, and lived in his native county until he came to Nebraska, previously engaged as clerk five years. He was married in North Platte, Neb., in 1879, to Miss Belle De Spain, they have one daughter-Irene Swarthout.
L. THOELECKE, firm of L. Thoelecke & Co., dealers in watches, clocks, jewelry, silver and plated ware, etc. Opened business in the summer of 1874, took a homestead in 1879, four miles south of the city, consisting of 160 acres; now has forty acres under cultivation; also has a nice orchard of peach, apple and cherry trees, etc. His farm is capable of being irrigated from South Platte River. He was born in the kingdom of Hanover, Germany, September 16, 1840. Came to America in the spring of 1867, locating in Chicago, and became foreman of jewelry house of A. H. Miller until 1868; then located in Iowa City, Iowa, in the jewelry business six years, when, in 1874, he removed to North Platte. Was married in Hamburg City, Germany, in 1866, to Miss B. M. L. Weste, of the latter place; they have five children-Lois George, Bertha M. D., Otto H., Herman E., and Emma L. He is a member of Zion Lodge, No. 31, A. F. & A. M., of Iowa City, Iowa. He is also Secretary of Walla Walla Lodge, No. 56, I. O. O. F., also a member of City Council and Secretary of the Lutheran Church.
ROBERT D. THOMSON, contractor and builder. Opened business in 1870, employs from ten to thirty-five men. He erected the large brick school building in 1874, at a cost of $17,000 and many other prominent buildings in the city. He located in Omaha, Neb., in 1869, and engaged in contracting and building until the fall of 1870, when he came to North Platte. Has been a member of the City Council, etc. He was born in Cambridge, Jefferson Co., Wis., August 22, 1847, lived there until 1869. He was married in North Platte, in 1880, to Miss Amanda A. De Spain, of Illinois. He is a member of I. O. O. F. of North Platte, Neb.
IRVING VAN DORAN, dealer in gents furnishing goods, tobaccos, notions and periodicals, under firm name of Park & Van Doran. They opened business in February 1880, and carry about $3,000 stock. Mr. Van Doran located in North Platte, in September, 1874, and clerked in a general store until February, 1877. When he went to the Black Hills and prospected until the spring of the same year; returned and clerked in a general clothing store until he opened business. He was born in Penn Yan., N. U. July 20, 1858. Was married in North Platte, Neb., October 12, 1881, to Miss Clara E. Huot, of Quebec, Canada.
GEORGE W. VROMAN, general foreman locomotive department of the Union Pacific Railroad. He first came to North Platte in January, 1869, and began running an engine between the latter city and Sidney for a passenger train, until May, 1881. Came to the shops in the above capacity May 16, 1881. He is at present a member of the City Council of his city. He was born in Fitchburg, Dane County, Wis., September 27, 1841. His father was one of the early pioneers of Wisconsin, settling in Milwaukee in 1836. The subject of this sketch lived in his native State until 1862, when he went to La Fayette, Ind., and engaged as fireman on the Wabash Railway. Two years after, ran an engine five years, then went to North Platte, Neb. He was married, in Indianapolis, Ind., in 1874, to Miss Marry E. Jordon, of Brownstown, Ind. They have three children--Blanch E., Clarence J., and Walter J. He is a member of the Masonic Order of La Fayette, Ind., and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, and has twice represented the subdivision of the Association, once in New York City, 1875, and once in Boston, 1877. He and his brother, W. A. Vroman, are proprietors of a sheep ranch thirty miles east of North Platte, where they have 1,000 head of sheep.
MAJ. LEICESTER WALKER, stock raiser; came to Fort McPherson, Neb., in 1868, as a Captain in the Fifth United States Cavalry. He was born in Sandusky City, Erie Co., Ohio, September 3, 1836. Lived in his native State until 1858, then lived in Lawrence, Kan., two years; engaged in merchandising; returned to Ohio, then to Washington, D. C. In February, 1861, and soon joined Gen. James Lane's Battalion of Frontier Guards. Was stationed at the Executive Mansion, Washington, D. C. He was soon appointed Second Lieutenant of the Second United States Cavalry. The same was soon changed to the Fifth Regular Cavalry. He immediately went out into service, and participated in the battles of First Bull Run (all though seven days fighting in front). Richmond, South Mountain, Antietam, etc. He was soon placed on the staff of Gen. Averill, and remained until the winter of 1862-3. He was then placed as Chief Commissary of Musters, under Gen. Pleasanton. He remained in that capacity until Gen. Philip Sheridan took command. He was detailed for same position under the latter commander, and served through all the campaigns, until the army arrived at James River, when he was sent to Columbus, Ohio, as mustering and disbursing officer, and remained until the spring of 1865, when he rejoined his regiment at Cumberland, Md., where they were stationed, until January 1, 1866, when, with four companies, he was ordered to Charleston, S. C., then to Columbia, S. C. There he broke his left limb, and was disabled three months, then took command of his troops, and was sent to Aiken, S. C., and had command of that post until 1868. He was then sent to Fort Lyon, Kan., and there was sent by Gen. Eugene Carr across the Canadian River; remained six months. He was then ordered to assume command of Fort Harker, Kan. Was there a short time to organize troops, etc., and went across the country to Fort McPherson, Neb., where he remained until January, 1871, and made application for his resignation, and entered into stock-raising. He now owns a stock ranch, eight miles north of the village, and has about 700 head of cattle. He was married, in Aiken, S. C., February 14, 1868, to Miss Georgia S. Warren, of Columbus, Ga. They have two children - Leicester and Edith May.
HENRY WILKINSON, manufacturer of brick, farmer and gardener, located five miles west of North Platte, on a homestead, in 1873; farmed five years at different times, and now owns eighty acres there. He located on his present place in what is known as Lone Rock Cañon, in 1876, and opened a brick yard. He has contracted 320,000 brick for 1882. He has forty acres under cultivation on his place of eighty acres, located four and a half miles south of North Platte. He was born in Lincolnshire, Eng., December 14, 1839, and came to America in 1869, and worked at coal-mining in Plainville, Penn., until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Gysboro, Eng., to Miss Sarah Smallwood, of England. They have seven children-William H., George, Edward, Charles, Mary J., Robert and Benjamin. He is a member of the Ancient Order of I. O. O. F., of England.
JOHN R. WORTHLEY, gang boss of the Union Pacific Railroad Shops, came to Omaha, in 1868, and worked at his trade of machinist until December 25, 1873, for the latter company, at which time he settled in North Platte; worked at his trade a few months. He then took charge as at present. He was born in Goffstown, Hillsboro Co., N. H., December 9, 1836; lived in his native State until 1857; came to Marshall, Mich., and worked at the trade of machinist two and a half years; then went to Hannibal., Mo., worked a short time. Then went into the employ of the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad; took charge of the round house and machine shops until 1865. He was First Lieutenant of Company G. Thirty-eighth Regiment Missouri Railroad Brigade, until June 1865. He was married, in Brookfield, Mo., in 1861, to Miss Mary C. Park, of Iowa. They have one son--John P. Mr. W. is a member of the Masonic Order, No. 227, Cyprus Lodge, of Laclede, Mo. Has been a member of the City Council of North Platte two years.