Nebraska GenWeb Project
LEVI W. BUTLER (b. 1841, d. 1928)
Levi W. Butler of University Place is now living retired save for the supervision which he gives to his business interests. He was born in Erie County, Pennsylvania, on the 2nd of August, 1841, and was reared and educated in that county, remaining upon the home farm until he was about twenty-one years of age when he was married and began his independent career, turning his attention to farming and dairying. He followed those occupations until 1879 when he came to Nebraska and purchased a farm in Saunders County. He bought his land from the railroad and it was totally unimproved when it came into his possession, but as soon as possible he brought it under cultivation and erected substantial buildings thereon. He resided there until 1890 when he removed to University Place as he desired his children to take advantage of the excellent educational opportunities here. Not long after taking up his residence in the town he erected a livery barn and he continued in the livery business for eleven or twelve years. During part of that time he also operated a hack line to Havelock, but on the building of a streetcar line to that place he discontinued his hack service. Later he also disposed of his livery business and he subsequently turned his attention to dealing in brick, sand and concrete, etc., furnishing these materials for a great many buildings. In 1910 he erected the building in which the post office is situated and in 1913 built the remainder of the Butler building. The entire structure is fifty by ninety feet in dimensions and is two stories high. On the first floor, in addition to the post office, there are a number of stores; and also Dr. Walker's office, and Judge Gaylord's office is located on the second floor, although the greater part of it is given over to modern apartments. Mr. Butler gives careful attention to his investments, which yield him a good return, and also collects for the gas company.
On New Year's Day, 1862, occurred the marriage of Mr. Butler and Miss Mary Owen, a native of Erie County, Pennsylvania, where she grew to womanhood. She is still living and, like her husband, is vigorous and active. To their union have been born four children: Jennie, who married Horace Godden and died at the age of thirty-nine years; Alva E., who is deputy sheriff of Lancaster County; L. Gary, who was one of the first students in the Nebraska Wesleyan University and who owns a barber shop in his father's building; and Clyde A., who is conducting a cleaning and pressing establishment also located in his father's block.
Mr. and Mrs. Butler have been members of the Methodist church since they were in their teens and they have taken an active part in the work of that organization. Mr. Butler aided materially in the erection of the local church edifice, has served as trustee, and contributes liberally to the support of the church and of the Nebraska Wesleyan University. He was a charter member of the Knights of Pythias Lodge of Havelock and in his life exemplifies the spirit of fraternity upon which the order is based. He has gained many friends since his removal to University Place and those who are most closely associated with him hold him in the highest esteem, which is proof of his genuine worth.
From the book titled “Lincoln: the capital city and Lancaster County, Nebraska,” volume 2, by Andrew J. Sawyer, published 1916. Pages 31-32.
Levi W. Butler was my great grandfather.
15 Mar 2011: Submitted John McLain
BACK to the Pioneer Registry
© Mar 2011 for NEGenWeb Project by John McLain, T&C Miller