By Capt. Franklin Ellis239
There were a number of private burial-grounds in this town, but they have mostly been neglected so long as to be almost beyond recognition. There are no incorporated cemeteries, and many of the citizens go to Millerton, Pine Plains, and Copake to bury the dead.
There is a small ground near Boston Corners, the oldest stone in which is dated 1807. It is that of Isaac Rogers. His wife Anna survived him till 1835, when she died at the age of one hundred years, six months, and seventeen days. There is another small ground at the East Ancram Methodist Episcopal church, containing about one-half acre, the earliest burial there being in 1845.
In the west part of the town, one-half mile south of Ancram, is another ground of about the same size, which is very full. It is called the Free ground. The oldest stone, and the only one erected previous to 1800, is that of Captain Joseph Elliott, who died October 13, 1796.
The largest ground is near Ancram, opposite the Lutheran church. It is pleasantly located on rolling ground, and contains six or seven acres. It was first opened about 1845. It is owned partly by the Lutheran church and partly by the Brandt family.