By Capt. Franklin Ellis352
Schools were taught at an early day, but no authentic account of the teachers or those in attendance has been obtained. In 1795 the board of supervisors assed the town £97 8s. and 6d. for the support of schools pursuant to the general act of April 9, 1795. In 1820 there were nine whole and five fractional districts, having six hundred and nineteen children between the ages of five and fifteen years. The amount paid to teachers was $306.
There are at present ten districts, besides several part districts, having nearly six hundred children between five and twenty-one years of age, and supporting the schools at an expense of about $2500 per annum.