By Capt. Franklin Ellis366
The cemeteries of Ghent, with one exception, are controlled by church societies and private individuals. One of the finest of these is connected with the West Ghent Reformed church. It embraces several acres, carefully kept, and contains some handsome monuments.
THE GHENT UNION CEMETERY,
in the eastern part of the town, below old Ghent village, contains about five acres of ground tastefully arranged, and neatly inclosed. It is on the opposite side of the street from the old church cemetery, and is under the control of a rural cemetery association, formed Oct. 11, 1865. The first trustees were A. C. Garner, Abram Vosburgh, Geo. A. Clum. P. M. New, Wm. E. Snyder, and Jacob H. Stupplebeem. The present officers are: President, Abram Vosburgh; Secretary, P. W. Mull; and Treasurer, A. M. Tracy.