The Public Highways
By Capt. Franklin Ellis365
The public highways received the attention of the town soon after the first meeting, and the following thirty-two overseers were appointed:
Martin Harder, Jonathan Head, Benj. Vredenburgh, William Winn, Matthew Waltermire, George Follout, Thomas Van Alstyne, Jehoiakim Van Hagen, Jeremiah Mandeville, Jacob Loop, Henry J. Mesick, Matthias Emerick, Henry Link, J. J. Mesick, William P. Smith, Henry Combs, William Day, Wilhelmus Links, Johannes Moul, Jehoiakim Schinkle, James May, James Crandell, Samuel Coleman, John Frost, James Bullis, John Son, John L. Holsapple, John Shufelt, Henry R. Van Rensselaer, Ezekiel Thomas, Edward K. Pugsley.
The highways of Ghent are at present in an admirable condition. Several important thoroughfares traverse the town, the principal ones being the old "post-road," in the western part, and the Union turnpike, from the southwest to the northeast. The Berkshire railroad (now the Hudson and Boston) was constructed through the town in 1837-38, and the New York and Harlem railroad at a more recent date. They enter the town from the south, several miles apart, and converge until they meet at the village of Ghent, from whence the lines are parallel to Chatham village. The former road has stations at Pulver's, in the southern part, and at Ghent, which is also a station on the Harlem road. These railways have done much to promote the prosperity of the town.