The Pioneer Taverns
By Capt. Franklin Ellis370
Closely identified with the mills and factories were the Pioneer taverns and stores, as well as the public-houses and trading-points of a later period. Of the former, the stone house of Johannes Hogeboom was undoubtedly one of the first and most prominent. As early as 1760 it gave its name to that particular locality, and was put down in the guide-books as the principal stopping-place on the stage-route from Boston to Albany, between Nobletown (Hillsdale) and Kinderhook. Jacob Moul had a tavern on the main road, in a red frame house, before 1800. Afterwards the commodious house now occupied by his son William was erected. Both of these taverns had a wide reputation. Near the county buildings Abram Hogeboom had a store and a tavern, which were largely patronized; and at a later period William M. Bunker opened a store at this point, in a building which is yet standing. Near the depot Martin H. Hoffman had the first store, and a tavern was kept by a Mr. Van Ness. This property now belongs to A. M. Tracy, who is at present one of the most active business men of the village of Ghent.