The Village of
By Capt. Franklin Ellis371
The village of Ghent, in which are the only stores and hotel in the town. This is a thriving place of several hundred inhabitants, favorably located to enjoy a large trade; and is one of the most important shipping-points for farm produce in the county. Excepting a few small buildings, it has grown to its present size almost entirely since the completion of the Harlem railroad. It contains several fine business blocks, and a number of attractive residences. A mile south, on the old turnpike, is a hamlet, locally called "Old Ghent," but which is really a part of the village. At the former place is the Lutheran church, while the latter contains the Reformed.
The Ghent post-office was established in the lower village, and changed to its present location after the railroad was built. It enjoys good mail facilities. Jacob Stupplebeem is the postmaster.
Soon after 1800, Dr. Edward B. Pugsley began the practice of medicine in Ghent, and remained in town until his death, in 1863. Dr. E. L. Coburn was for many years a leading practitioner. Dr. P. W. Mull has been in practice since 1852, and Drs. More, Green, and Van Alstyne have also been physicians in Ghent.
In the village of Ghent is a very neat brick school-house, erected in 1878, at a cost of $3000. There are twelve schools in the town, attended by three hundred pupils, and supported at a cost of $5000 per year.