MILLS AND MANUFACTURING
COLUMBIA COUNTY, NEW YORK
By Captain Franklin Ellis113
PAGE 3 OF 6
HUNT & MILLER'S STOVE-FOUNDRY,
was originated by Charles McArthur, and has been in operation for many years. Under his management the business rapidly increased and the reputation of the works became thoroughly established. Upon his decease the foundry became the property of Messrs. Hunt, Holmes & Co., who maintained its reputation. It subsequently became the property of the present owners, Messrs. Hunt & Miller. The foundry is situated on Water Street, opposite the Hudson River Railroad depot.
THE COLUMBIA COUNTY IRON COMPANY
was incorporated under the general statute, July 20, 1857, as a stock company, with $750,000 capital, in shares of $100 each. There were fifty-one stockholders.
The furnace was erected on Water street, near the river, and the first blast was made in December, 1858. This company continued to run the furnace until the latter part of June, 1859, when they stopped work, and the furnace lay idle till April, 1861. At that time it was again started, by L. W. Winslow & Co., and run by them till Dec. 1, 1863, when John A. Griswold & Co., having purchased a majority of the stock, leased the works of the Columbia Iron Company, and ran them in connection with their works in Troy. March 1, 1874, the works were purchased by the Albany & Rensselaer Iron and Steel Company, who are the present owners. Of this company Erastus Corning is president; Chester Griswold, vice-president; Selden E. Marvin, secretary and treasurer; James E. Walker, general manager; J. M. Pearson, superintendent.
The ore used at this furnace is brought by rail from various points, principally in Clinton and Dutchess counties, and about 23,000 tons are annually consumed, making 10,000 tons of pig-iron of a prime quality, all of which is shipped to Troy, and used at the "Bessemer Steel-Works" of the company located in that city; 20,000 tons of coal and 6000 tons of limestone are also used yearly.
THE CLAPP & JONES MANUFACTURING COMPANY
was organized Dec. 15, 1869, and incorporated on the 17th of the same month. It is a stock company, with a paid-up cash capital of $100,000, and is engaged in the manufacture of the celebrated "Champion Steam Fire-Engine," which has attained a high reputation, and has repeatedly taken the first premium at the fairs where it has been exhibited. The invention is covered by letters patent, and improvements are being constantly made. Mr. M. R. Clapp, to whose genius the invention is due, has been the superintendent of the works from the commencement. The manufacture of this engine was begun in New York, in 1866, and this place was selected for the location of the shop when, in view of the popularity and increased demand for them, it became necessary to increase the facilities for their manufacture. The shop is located near the river, on lands reclaimed from the South bay, and was built in the spring of 1870, the first engine being finished in June of that year. The works employ about one hundred men, and possess facilities for the manufacture of forty engines per year, with their accompanying trucks, hose-carts, etc. A thirty-horse steam-engine furnishes the motive-power. All the work, even to making the brass castings for the engines, is done at this shop. Average wages paid, two dollars and twenty-five cents. Upon the organization of the company, Jacob W. Hoysradt was elected president; S. R. Rainey, secretary; and M. R. Clapp, superintendent. These gentlemen still hold the same position in the company.
THE PHILIPS SPIRAL CORN-HUSKER COMPANY
was incorporated January 23, 1871, with a capital of $100,000; the life of the corporation to be fifty years. There were thirteen corporators, of whom Allen Rossman, Peter Philips, David Crapser, Peter S. Pulver, Tobias New, Leonard Miller, and Rensselaer Reynolds formed the first board of trustees. George B. Fairfield is the present president, and C. H. Malleson secretary and treasurer of the company.