MILLS AND MANUFACTURING
COLUMBIA COUNTY, NEW YORK
By Captain Franklin Ellis113
PAGE 6 OF 6
is situated on Prospect avenue, near Warren street. The business was commenced by the present proprietors, Messrs. F. & M. Herbs & Bro., in the summer of 1875. Their factory building (forty by fifty feet, and four stories high) was commenced in August of that year, and was completed, fitted with machinery, and occupied by the business May 1, 1876. The power is a fifteen-horse steam-engine. The raw tobacco is brought from Kentucky in hogsheads holding from 1200 pounds to 2000 pounds each, and about seventy-five of these furnish a year's supply of stock. The annual sales amount of about 120,000 pounds, and the revenue paid to the government is about $3000 per month. The company also own a store at No. 338 Warren street, in the rear of which is their cigar-factory, which turns out from 85,000 to 90,000 cigars each month. Employment is furnished to about thirty-five men and boys.
THE HUDSON KNITTING-MILL
was established about 1872, by George B. McCready, at the corner of Water and Ferry streets. Here he entered upon the manufacture of knit goods of all descriptions. In 1875 he sold to N. T. Kane, who, in October, 1877, sold to J. E. McLaughlin & Co., the present owners. The mill is what is known as a "two-set mill," containing two sets of cards, and other machinery in proportion. The power used is furnished by a twelve horse-power steam-engine, and the business employs from thirty to thirty-five hands, the annual product amounting to from $40,000 to $50,000.
an establishment whose business was the manufacture of clothing for the southern (particularly the New Orleans) market, was in very successful operation, at the southeast corner of Warren and Fourth streets, about twenty years ago. In the year 1858 its business amounted to $130,000. It was extinguished by the War of the Rebellion.
THE HUDSON GAS COMPANY
was organized in 1850 as a stock company, with a capital of $50,000. The works were commenced immediately, and in the fall of the same year the company furnished gas for lighting the streets of Hudson. The first stockholders were O. Bronson, president; J. W. Fairfield, secretary, treasurer, and superintendent; George H. Power and Charles Roome; all of whom were directors. The present board of directors are Charles H. Stott, president; Jacob W. Hoysradt, vice-president; George B. Fairfield, secretary, treasurer, and superintendent; Samuel T. Du Bois, Charles Roome, Willard Bronson.
The works (located on Water street, near those of the Columbia County Iron Company) have a capacity sufficient to supply a population of fifteen thousand. The capital of the company remains unchanged since the organization.