THE REFORMED (DUTCH) CHURCH OF STUYVESANT FALLS
STUYVESANT, COLUMBIA COUNTY, NEW YORK
By Capt. Franklin Ellis84
The organization of this church absorbed the interests of the Lutheran church to such an extent that it was suffered to go down. The Reformed church became a legal body October 9, 1859, with a consistory composed of: Elders, Bartholomew Van Buren, Abram J. Mesick, and William Hoes; Deacons, Alfred Ostrom, Cornelius Plass, and B. L. Van Buren. There were fourteen members from the families of the consistorial body. The Lutheran house was occupied as erected until 1872, when it was placed in its present inviting condition. It has sittings for two hundred an fifty persons, and is estimated worth $4000. The church has eighty-two members, and its present consistory is composed of: Elders, A. Ostrom, William Hoes, John Van De Carr, and Stephen Haskins; Deacons, James Kittle, Samuel Cole, John Van Buren, William Plass, and Mathew Van Dyck.
The clergy of the church have been: 1860-61, Rev. Elisha D. Bates; 1861-63 Rev. Minor Swick; 1864-67, Rev. Isaac L. Kipp; 1867-98, Rev. William E. Bogardus; 1869-71, Rev. Ransford Wells; and since 1874, Rev. William C. Fowler. A Sabbath-school of fifty members is superintended by the pastor, assisted by A. Ostrom.