STUYVESANT, COLUMBIA COUNTY, NEW YORK
By Capt. Franklin Ellis74
This town was erected from Kinderhook, April 21, 1823, with a territory extending along the Hudson from Rensselaer county southward to Major Abram's creek. The lower part of the town was annexed to Stockport, April 30, 1833. The name was bestowed in honor of Governor Peter Stuyvesant.
The town includes the island east of the middle of the Hudson, and has at present an area of fourteen thousand three hundred and ninety-six acres of land, whose surface is mainly level, except along the river, where are low hills and deep ravines, cutting through the elevation to the water's edge.
Along Kinderhook creek, which crosses the southeastern corner of the town, the surface is slightly broken by slaty ledges. The creek has precipitous banks, which, together not surpassed in the county.
A little north of the centre of the town are several small streams, which unite and then flow westward into the Hudson. In early times this was known as the "Saw Kill." Flowing southwest, and entering the Hudson near the south line of the town, is another small stream, whose banks are low and bordered by marshy ground. The general surface is elevated, and is composed of a clayey soil, except along the east line, where it is a light loam or a sandy loan. In this part of the town the original forests were pine, and the land was not so highly esteemed by the early settlers as the clayey portions.
The patents covering this town and the original ownership of the land are elsewhere noted, and partook of the general conditions of those of Kinderhook.