THE GERMAN EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH AT STUYVESANT LANDING
STUYVESANT, COLUMBIA COUNTY, NEW YORK
By Capt. Franklin Ellis83
The German Evangelical Lutheran Church at Stuyvesant Landing was organized, as the result of missionary work from Hudson, in 1870. On the 18th of January, 1871, a society was legally formed, having as trustees Charles Berlin, John Dankert, and Henry Doerge. A chapel was erected soon after at a cost of $2200, with sittings for one hundred and fifty persons. The church has fifty members, who are served by the pastor of the Hudson church. A Sunday-school of forty members is maintained.
Prior to 1857 the services of the Lutheran church were held at Stuyvesant Falls, and on the 19th of October, 1857, a society was formally organized under the rules of the New York ministerium, and conformably to the laws of the State, enacted in 1813. John D. Pultz, A. J. Mesick, and William G. Mandeville were chosen trustees of the society.