THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF STUYVESANT FALLS
STUYVESANT, COLUMBIA COUNTY, NEW YORK
By Capt. Franklin Ellis85
The Methodist Episcopal church of Stuyvesant Falls became an incorporate body Feb. 22, 1858, with Trustees Jacob R. Dingman, Wm. Hamill, Henry Ostrander, Jeremiah Humphrey, Edwin M. Coventry, Abram W. Van Hoesen, Henry D. Thomas, Charles Sampson, and Hiram Decker. In 1859 its house of worship was erected, at a cost of $4500. It is an attractive frame edifice, with accommodations for three hundred and fifty worshipers. The membership of the church is one hundred, and the controlling trustees are Jacob Dingman, Simeon Allen, Thomas Ingham, John W. Van Hoesen, and Wm. F. Burger.
Methodist preaching was maintained much earlier than the date above given, and since 1853 this has been a regular appointment. The pastors since that period have been Revs. Oren Gregg, Thomas Gregg, A. Griffin, Thomas A. Griffin, G. Ward, Henry Smith, John W. Carhart, E. Morgan, W. F. Hurd, C. C. Bedell, J. L. Cook, S. S. Ford, J. W. Quinlan, Wm. Ryan, Elam Marsh, and J. P. Haller. Until the present year the charge has been connected with Kinderhook and neighboring churches. It is now served by the Rev. W. G. Spaulding as a separate charge. The church maintains a Sabbath-school having seventy-five members, superintended by Wm. Ashworth.