ROBERT INNES was born in Linlithgow, Scotland, July 27, 1845, and is the eldest son of Adam and Helen (McNeil) Innes, natives of Scotland, and late residents of Bradford county, Pennsylvania. His parents immigrated to Norwich, Connecticut, in July, 1848, and his father found employment in a tannery at New London until October of the same year, when he removed to Ulster county, New York, and took charge of A. I. Shultz’s tannery. He filled that position for seven years, and then bought an interest in the plant and continued in business there for ten years longer. In September, 1865, he sold out and purchased the tannery at Granville Centre, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, where he carried on business up to within two years of his death, March 10, 1886, when he was succeeded by his sons, Daniel, John A., C. A., and Judson K. The subject of this sketch was three years old when his parents came to the United States. He grew to manhood in Ulster county, New York, and learned the tanning business with his father. He was connected with the latter until the spring of 1877, when he removed to Bodines, Lycoming county, and purchased a tract of land of Abel DuBois, upon which he erected a tannery. He soon established a prosperous business, and now gives employment to thirty hands. He manufactures Union Crop leather, and operates one of the leading tanneries in the West Branch valley. He also carried on a general mercantile business at Bodines. up to May 1, 1891, when he sold out to his nephew, J. D. Bunyan. In 1883 he erected a flour mill, and under the firm name of Neyhart Brothers & Company, Limited, conducted the business until the spring of 1888. Mr. Innes then carried it on alone up to August, 1891, at which time he took into partnership S. L. Andrews, and the firm has since been S. L. Andrews & Company. The mill possesses a full roller process system, and has a capacity of fifty barrels a day. In 1889 he, erected a creamery, but soon afterwards it was swept from its foundation by the great flood of that year. He immediately brought it back to its site and put it into, operation. The creamery was burned, January 27, 1891, was at once rebuilt, and has since been running constantly. He also carries on an undertaking establishment for the accommodation of that part of the county. The tannery, mill, and. creamery are named "Bruce," after Robert Bruce, the celebrated king of Scotland. Mr. Innes also operates a farm of over 300 acres surrounding the village of Bodines, and is one of the most prosperous business men in the county.
He was married, March 12, 1868, to Miss B. A., daughter of John and Olive, (Savage) Sayles, natives of Sempronius, Cayuga county, New York, and residents of Granville Centre, Bradford county, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Innes was born at the latter place, and the old Sayles homestead is now the property of her husband. Six children have been born of this union: Marion; Theodore S., who has charge of Elmhurst tannery, in Lackawanna county; Adam R.; Agnes, deceased; Anson J., and Helen A. Since arriving at manhood Mr. Innes has been an ardent Republican, and has always taken an active interest in the local affairs of his township,. being now one of the supervisors. He is a member of the Masonic order, and is connected with the. commandery and consistory. He is one of the prominent and successful business men of Lycoming, county, and owes his prosperity to his rigid industry and close attention to the details of his various interests.
JOSEPH GRAY, a native of Vermont, and a veteran of the Revolution, was born about 1749. Prior to the war of Independence he removed to Pennsylvania and settled on Loyalsock creek, Fairfield township, Lycoming county, built himself a log cabin, and resided there until his death, at an advanced age. He was one of the earliest settlers of the county, and left quite a large number of descendants. He. was twice married, and by his first wife had one son, Timothy, who married Elizabeth Clendenin. Eight children were the fruits of his second marriage: Joseph; Samuel; James; Daniel; Ann, who married Oliver McCaslin; Deborah; Lottie, and Margaret, all of whom are dead. Mr. Gray was an adherent of the Methodist church.
TIMOTHY GRAY, oldest son of Joseph Gray, was born in Fairfield township, Lycoming county, in 1778. He lived with his parents until the breaking out of the war of 1812, when he enlisted and served throughout that struggle against the same old foe of liberty. He attained the rank of first lieutenant. He returned to his home in 1814, and settled at the mouth of a small stream, since, known as Tim Gray’s run, April 5, 1820, and resided at that point the balance of his life. Mr. Gray married Elizabeth Clendenin in 1810, and was the father of the following children: Hannah, who married Joseph Younkin; Charles C.; Robert; George; John; Abigail, who married Samuel Dale; William; Mary, and Henry. He was a member of the Methodist church, and his wife of the Baptist denomination. Politically he was a Democrat, which principles he had imbibed from his father. He died at the age of eighty-eight years.
CHARLES CLENDENIN GRAY, eldest son of Timothy Gray, was born on the Clendenin. farm, December 29, 1815. He assisted his father during his boyhood days, and remained with him until his marriage, which occurred in 1849, to Harriet Arrance. Seven children were the fruits of this union: Elizabeth, who married Adolphus Sutton; Charles, who married Anna Snyder; Ellen, who married John Rice; Emma, who married Corda Smith; William, who married Minnie Packard; Robert, and Margaret, the two last mentioned being dead, After his marriage he farmed for about three years, and then went into the lumber business, at which he has con-tinued ever since. He has been a jobber for F. R. Weed for thirty years, on Tim Gray’s run. Mr. Gray is living at Penn’s Dale, where his business keeps him, though a property owner in Trout Run. He is a member of the Methodist church, and at one time was connected with the I. O. O. F. Politically he is a Democrat, and has filled the offices of supervisor, overseer of the poor, and constable, and has been a school director for twenty-one years. In 1869, while serving as constable of Lewis township, Mr. Gray was instrumental in capturing John Fields, who murdered his brother-in-law, William Matthews, through some misunderstanding arising from the division of money paid to them by the Northern Central railroad for ties. In attempting to arrest Fields, Mr. Gray was severely wounded by the former, who struck him with an axe, the marks of which he carries to this day.
JOHN CLENDENIN was a soldier of the Revolution who served throughout that struggle, for liberty. He was born at Easton, Northampton county, Pennsylvania, about 1757, and when the Revolution broke out he immediately offered his services in defense of his native land. He was present and witnessed the execution of Major Andre. His widow drew a pension as long as she lived. Mr. Clendenin was a Jeffersonian Democrat, and was a delegate to the convention that nominated Thomas Jefferson for President of the United States. He married Rebecca De France about 1777, and she bore him a family of ten children: Margaret, who married John Allen Charles, who married Martha Hughes; Elizabeth, who married Timothy, Gray; Marjaroie, who married Henry Harmon; Robert, who married Harriet Blackwell; Rebecca, who married Robert Carson; Ann, who remained single; Mary, who married William Thomas; Jane, who became the. wife of John S. Apker, and John, who married Ellen Landon. Mr. Clendenin removed from Easton to Bennezette, Elk county, Pennsylvania, where he lived several years, and then located on the "Long Reach," and subsequently at the mouth of Tim Gray’s run, on Lycoming creek. He died on the homestead, on Lycoming creek, and was interred at Newberry. His widow survived him thirty-three years, and died at the age of eighty-four.
ROBERT CLENDENIN, son of John and Rebecca Clendenin, was born on the "Long Reach," March 2, 1798. After his father’s death he helped to take care of the homestead, and assisted his mother in supporting the family. He Was married in 1826 to Harriet Blackwell, a native of England, and erected a log house on the Clendenin farm, now the homestead of his son, Robert Carson, where he spent the whole, of his life. Ten children were born to Robert and Harriet Clendenin, as follows Priscilla B., who was twice married, first to George Mudge, and afterwards to S. R. Borden, and was killed in the great railroad wreck at Chatsworth, Illinois; Henry H., who married Mary Hall; Thomas B., who was twice married, first to Isabella Turner, and then to Esther Moore; Rebecca W.; Robert Carson; Matilda, deceased wife of G. I. Perry; Charles W., who was killed in the rebellion; John R., who married Lucy Bodine, and is dead; Richard J., deceased, and Harriet C., wife of Dr. John Eldred. Mr. Clendenin was a member of the Presbyterian church, and a trustee in that organization a great many years. He was an old-line Whig, and Subsequently a Republican, and filled nearly all of the offices in his township. He, was recognized as an honest, upright man, and died, honored and respected, in 1881, at the ripe old age of eighty-three years.
THOMAS B. CLENDENIN, Second son of Robert and Harriet Clendenin, was born on the old homestead in Lycoming county, September 16, 1829. He lived with his, parents until he was twenty-four years old, and then went to Trout Ran and engaged in the lumber business, which he prosecuted four years. He then returned to the homestead farm, and built a now house for his family. He assisted his father to clear off the forest and erect buildings. In the fall of 1869 he formed a partnership with his brothers, Robert Carson and John R., under the firm name of Clendenin Brothers, and engaged in the lumber business. They carried on operations about five years, and then dissolved partnership. He was married to Isabella Turner of Bradford county in 1865. She bore him two children: Harriet, and Eugene, deceased. She died, about three years after her marriage, and in 1870 he married Esther Moore. Both he and wife are members of the Presbyterian church, and he has been an elder in the church about six years. He was at one time an active member of the I. O. O. F., but has not affiliated with the society for some time. Politically he is a Democrat, and has filled all of the offices in his township.
ROBERT CARSON CLENDENIN, son of Robert Clendenin, was born on the old homestead, November 6, 1834, and has always resided thereon. He was in the lumber business about five years, as a member of the firm of Clendenin Brothers, when the. partnership was dissolved. He resides with his sister on the old homestead, which he has improved and brought to a high state of cultivation. He is a member of the Presbyterian church, and has been a trustee in that body a number of years. Politically he is a Republican, and is known as a man of enterprise and public spirit.
CHARLES W. CLENDENIN, son of Robert Clendenin, was born on the homestead farm, April 12, 1839. He remained with his parents until he was eighteen years old, when he entered the employ of Richard Mackey, merchant and lumberman, of Trout Run, with whom he remained until 1861. He then enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty-third Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was mustered in as first sergeant of Company K. He served with his regiment in all of the marches and battles in which it participated up to the battle of the Wilderness, where he was severely wounded. He was removed to Lincoln Hospital, Washington, D. C., where he died from the effects of an amputation, thus yielding his life in defense of his country.
JOHN FIELD was born in Sussex county, New Jersey, in 1799, and during the war of 1812 he commenced boating on the Delaware river, between Riegelsville and Trenton, which occupation he followed four years, and then engaged in the carpenter business. In 1817 he married Margaret Powlson of New Jersey. Her parents, Cornelius and Margaret (Malone) Powlson, were natives of the same State, and had a family of eight children, Margaret being the eldest. Her father owned 500 acres of land opposite Easton, Pennsylvania, which he sold about 1812, taking in payment Continental scrip. This money afterwards proved worthless, and he was thus reduced to poverty. The Powlsons then went to live with a kind neighbor, Peter Sharp, the father taking charge of the farm and general business affairs of that gentleman. On the death of Mr. Sharp and wife, who left no descendants, a will was found in a secret drawer of his private desk which left all his property to Mr. Powlson, and at, the death of the latter it was divided among his children. John and Margaret Field were the parents of eight children as follows: Furman; Cornelius P.; Burrows M.; Sharp P.; Josiah; William, deceased; Sarah, deceased, and Rosilla, deceased. Mr. Field removed to what is now known as Quaker Hill, Eldred township, Lycoming county, in 1827, followed his trade in connection with farming for a short time, and then came to Williamsport. He worked at his trade until he moved up Lycoming creek, to the site of Field’s Station, which was named in his honor. Mr. Field was a large contractor in the construction of the Northern Central railroad. He was also engaged on the West Branch canal, and built the lock at the mouth of Lycoming creek and two locks at Farrandsville. He subsequently, had contracts in the building of the Blossburg and Tioga railroad. Returning to Lycoming county he assisted in erecting the first iron furnace at Astonville, the ruins of which may yet be seen near Ralston. He afterwards turned over his business affairs to his son Furman, and spent the remaining years of his life at his home at Field’s Station. He died in 1881, at the age of eighty-two years. His life was a very active one, and he accumulated through the passing years a comfortable competence. In politics he was a Democrat, and was liberal in his religious opinions.
FURMAN FIELD, eldest son, of John Field, was born in Northampton county, New Jersey, July 14, 1818, and came to this county with his parents when eight years old. He remained with his father until the death of the latter, and towards the close of his father’s life he took charge of his business, and at his death assumed all the liabilities. About 1838 he went into the lumber business at Fields Station, and has continued lumbering up to the present. His father traded the Quaker Hill farm for one-half of the lumber tract and saw mill, and Furman bought the other half from Joseph Keys. The first tract contained 220 acres, to which they, subsequently added until they owned 5,000 acres of timber land. Dr. Lehman, A German capitalist of Philadelphia, sent out Dr. Holler to the site of Field’s Station for the purpose of establishing a German colony on his land in that vicinity. Dr. Holler did not like the appearance of the land at Field’s Station, and finally selected Blooming Grove as the site of his home. He resided there until his death, and was recognized as the leader of the German settlers in that part of the county. Through some technicality or flaw in the title he lost three out of the five tracts which he had entered. The remaining two he traded to a Mr. Williams, for a lot on the banks of the Schuylkill river, which he subsequently sold for $4,000. This was all he realized out of his timber tracts, which cost him $80,000 and afterwards came into the possession of Mr. Field. The latter purchased 2, 000 acres from Ward & Mason, of Towanda, 1,100 acres of the McIntyre & Robinson estate, and 900 acres of the Joseph Keys estate. All of this land now belongs to Thomas E. Proctor. The mill which Mr. Field operated burned down about 1877, and was immediately rebuilt. It still stands as a landmark of his prosperity. Politically he is a Democrat, and has been township commissioner for twelve years.
THOMAS NOON was a native of County Galway, Ireland, where he was born about 1803. He grew to manhood in his native land, and was married on reaching his majority. His wife, Mary, bore him a family of eight children: Patrick W., who married Margaret Tooley; Catharine, who married Thomas Kinsley; Maria, who married John J. Lyons; Jane, who married George Batton; Daniel, who died in infancy; Thomas, who was drowned in West Virginia; Edward F., who married Ada Guinter, and John J., who married Ella Kane. After immigrating to Pennsylvania he came to Lycoming county and found employment at the Crescent Nail Works, and subsequently worked in the old iron furnace at Astonville. While at the latter place he purchased a small tract of land and commenced clearing off the forest, but his money gave out. and he was compelled to return to the furnace to earn sufficient means to pay for and improve his land. His farm was situated in Cascade township, and, he spent: the balance of his days thereon, dying in 1880 at the age of seventy-several years. He was a plucky, energetic and industrious man, a good citizen, and an obliging neighbor. He was a member of the Catholic church, and lived and died in that faith. In politics he was Democrat, and served as supervisor of Cascade township for a number of years.
EDWARD F. NOON, son of Thomas and Mary Noon, was born upon the homestead farm in Cascade township, April 19, 1849. He lived with his parents until he attained the age of twenty-four years, and then entered the service of George W. Moore for the purpose of learning the millwright trade. He completed his apprenticeship in 1877, and then began contracting, erecting the Catholic church in Cascade township, and various other buildings, chiefly saw mills. He took charge of Abel DuBois’s lumber business at Bodines in 1882, and continued with him until September 2, 1885, when he lost his left arm by an accident In the mill, his shirt sleeve being caught in the roller, and his arm severed by the gang edger. Mr. Noon afterwards took, a course in the Williamsport Commercial College, and in February, 1886, he formed a partnership with his brother John J., under the name of Noon, Brothers. This firm carried on the lumber business for three years, when our subject bought his brother’s interest, and has since continued the business alone, Mr. Noon was married in 1885 to Ada Guinter, and has three children: Harry; Winfred, and Flossie. Both he and wife are members of the Catholic church. He is a Democrat in politics, and is now the auditor of Lewis township. He was once a candidate for the legislature, but was defeated by a very close vote. Mr. Noon has erected a fine residence on his farm, also a new steam saw mill, and is recognized as one of the energetic and enterprising business men of his locality.
JOHN J. NOON, youngest son of Thomas and Mary Noon, was born on the homestead in Cascade township, December 19, 1854. He resided at home until the death of his father, and then began life for himself. In 1883 he, entered into partnership with his brother-in-law, Frank Kane, in the lumber business, which continued until 1889, and was then dissolved. In the year 1886 he formed a partnership with his brother Edward F., under the firm name of Noon Brothers, but sold his interest to his brother in 1889, since which time he has operated under his own name. Mr. Noon was married in 1882 to Ella Kane, who has born him six children: Thomas, deceased; Edward; Frank; Eugene; Margaret, and Mary. The whole family are members of the Catholic church. Politically Mr. Noon is a Democrat, and has been auditor of Cascade township for nine years, and secretary of the school board six years. He has been instrumental in advancing the cause of education in Cascade township, and has been foremost in the erection of good school buildings, and in furnishing them with modern furniture. He is a prosperous business man, and is the owner of the old homestead on which his father lived and died.
JOHN SAYLES was born in Cayuga county, New York, in 1809; His father died when our subject was about thirteen years old, and he then assisted in supporting his mother and her family. He found employment in a. distillery operated by a Mr. Fuller. He was married in 1832 to Olive Savage, and in 1842 he purchased a tract of land in Granville township, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, and settled upon it. It was covered with an unbroken forest, which he at once began clearing off, and finally brought the land under cultivation. He reared the following family: Eliza, who married Ezra Bailey; Desdemona, who married Ritner Miles; Arminda, who married William Vroman; Alvin; Adaline, deceased wife of Andrew Bunyan; Betsey Ann, who married Robert Innes; Millard, deceased; Jerry T., and Luther F. Mr. Sayles died at the age of seventy-six years. Politically he was first an old-line Whig and then a Republican, and filled one or two county offices in Bradford county, He was a captain in the New York militia during his residence in that State. In his religious views he was a Universalist.
JERRY T. SAYLES, son of John and Olive Sayles, was born in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, December 22, 1851. He remained with his father until 1877, assisting the latter in clearing and improving the homestead farm. He then came to Bodines and entered the employ of his brother-in-law, Robert Innes. Through the passing years he has gradually been promoted until he is now the superintendent of Mr. Innes’s extensive tannery at that point. He has mastered the business in all its details, and is recognized as an authority in that line of trade. Mr. Sayles was married, February 18, 1880, to Eva Latteer, and has three children: Ollie; Robert, and, Laura. in politics he is a Republican, is liberal in his religious views, and was at one time a member of the I. O. O. F.
ELI NEYHART, a miller by trade, came to Lycoming county in 1852, and operated the mill now owned by John Good. One year afterwards he removed to Safe Harbor, some four miles from Jersey Shore, where he remained two years, and subsequently worked two years for a Mr. Russell at Larry’s creek. From Jersey Shore he went to Hepburnville and started a mill for David Hull, and thence removed to Marysville, Perry county, and engaged in business for himself, under the firm name of Neyhart & Son. They were burned out at this point, and subsequently worked at Ball’s Mills for George Ball, where both he and wife died in the same week. Mr. Neyhart married Julia Grace, of Luzerne county, and was the father of the following children: Maria, who married Levi Venemon; Catharine, who married Thomas Clark; Eliza, who married Albert Farnham, of Maine; Julia, who married W. P. Brown; Artemus B., who married Julia Pearson; A. R., who was twice married, first to Rose Guinter, and then to Anna Smale; Sarah J., who married W. J. Ball; A. T., who married Catharine McWilliams; Judson C., who married Rose Bower, and S. P., who married Agnes Eck. Mr. Neyhart was a Democrat, and was liberal in his religious views.
JUDSON C. NEYHART was born in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, January 12,1851. At the age of eighteen years he began life as a salesman in the clothing store of L. Sheffer, of Williamsport, with whom he remained three years and a half, and then entered the employ of his brother, A. B. Neyhart. He remained in his hardware store for two years and a half, and then went into the dray business in partnership with John Shuler. After two years experience as a drayman he sold his interest to Mr. Shuler, and engaged in the milling business for himself at Trout Run, where he conducted a mill for five years. From there he went to Millersburg, and engaged in the hardware business for a short time with Brubaker & Company. Selling his interest to Mr. Brubaker, he returned to Williamsport, and worked for his brother about one year and a half, and then entered the milling business at Bodines, under the firm name of Neyhart Brothers & Company, Limited. Four years afterwards he returned to Trout Run, where he at present resides. Mr. Neyhart was married, June 9, 1879, to Rose S. Bower, and has had four children: Grace, deceased; Elmer; Charles, and Blanche, deceased. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Politically he is a Democrat, and is a member of the Masonic order, and the I. O. O. F.
CHARLES P. COLVER is the only son of George M. and Nellie Colver, and was born in Milo Centre, Yates county, New York, July 27, 1831. His paternal ancestry is traced to the Colvers of Birmingham, England, where the present representatives of the family are extensively engaged in the manufacture of steel. The name was originally spelled Collver. Edward Colver established a shipyard at New London, Connecticut, in 1630, having been sent to America for that purpose by King Charles I. He married Elizabeth Winthrop, a sister of Governor Winthrop of the Massachusetts Colony. George M. Colver was a native of Cortland county, New York, born October 2, 1801, a son of Amos Colver, who died when George M. was about four years old, and the latter was reared by a farmer named William Aspbell. He learned the blacksmith’s trade with Mr. Aspbell, and at the age of twenty-three he started in that business and followed it the balance of his life. He married Nellie, daughter of John and Patty Shultz, who bore him five children: Mary A.; Charles P.; Sophia, who died young; Jane, who married Perry Poyner, and Elisabeth, who married Oscar Longeer. John Shultz was a native of Orange county, New York, and served through the Revolution. He married Patty Holly of Orange county, and in 1806 removed to Milo Centre, Yates county, and engaged in farming. Mr. Shultz was the father of nine children, as follows: Noah; William; Nellie, who married George M. Colver; Martha; Susan, who married William Chandler, and four who died young. He followed farming up to his death. His wife survived him about fifteen years, and drew a pension from the, government because of her husband’s services in the Revolution. George M. Colver carried on blacksmithing at the Aspbell place until his removal to Dresden, New York, in 1840, where he resided until his death. He assisted in building 300 coal boats for Asa Packer, the coal operator, and did the iron work for the State on the canal from Penn Yan to Dresden, a distance of seven miles, containing twenty-eight locks.
The subject of this sketch left home at the age of thirteen, worked in a woolen mill a few years, and afterwards clerked in a hotel and store at Dresden. He subsequently learned the blacksmith’s trade, and followed that business in Dresden, Branchport, Penn Yan, Le Roy, Rochester, Painted Post and Canandaigua, New York, and filled several responsible positions in machine and car shops at those points. In the spring of 1859 he came to Williamsport, and worked for Philip Moltz and John B. Hall, two of the pioneer machine and foundry men of the city, for a short time. He then engaged in business, and carried on at different locations at Williamsport up to 1873, and also operated a saw mill for a short period at Penbryn. In the latter year he embarked in the mercantile business, which he conducted until 1875, and then sold out. In 1878 he opened a store on the corner of Park and Third streets, and carried it on until 1880, when he disposed of the stock and again entered the machine business. In 1881 he removed to Emporium and organized the Emporium Machine Works, remained there until 1887, and then sold his interest and returned to Williamsport. In August, 1888, he purchased his present store at Bodines, where he has since carried on a general mercantile business. Mr. Colver was married in 1851 to Mary A. Grenell, who has borne him five children: George, who died in childhood; George (2) and Eugene, both of whom reside in Norfork, Virginia; Ida, and Charles, deceased. Politically he is a Republican, served in the first common council of Williamsport, and was the first assessor of the city after its incorporation.
H. H. FRENCH was born in Medway, Maine, April 8, 1860, son of Rev. E. S. and Mary (Nute) French. He was reared in his native State, until the age of fourteen years, received a common school education, and graduated from Houlton Academy of Maine. In 1878 he came to Lycoming county, and worked for various companies in the lumber business until December, 1889r, when he took charge of the hotel at Field’s Station, which position he has since filled. Mr. French married Mary, daughter of Otis, Pray, and to this union three children have been born: Lillie E.; Lena E., and L. Ethel. He is a member of Hillsgrove Lodge, No. 305, I. O. O. F.
J. FRANK FLEXING, M. D., is the seventh son of Isaac and Margaret Ann Fleming, and was born in Mill Hall, Clinton county, Pennsylvania, July 21, 1860. He learned the weaver’s trade with his father, and worked at it until declining health warned him to abandon the business. He then engaged himself at farming for two years. He attended the Muncy Normal School with the intention of following the teacher’s profession, and after completing his education he taught a school near Linden, and brought it to a high degree of efficiency. He taught his next two terms at Oak Grove, and was subsequently engaged as principal of the schools at McIntyre. In the mean time he had decided to study medicine, and after his term, as principal expired he began a course at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, and after one term he completed the school term begun by Oliver Fink, who had died. He then returned to the medical college and was graduated with, honor. He was a student of Dr. Nutt, of Williamsport, and after graduation assisted the Doctor in his practice for about six months. He then assumed the practice of Dr. Crawford, at Trout Run, owing to the Doctor being unable through illness to attend to his professional duties. Dr. Crawford died, and then Dr. Fleming assumed full control. He was married to Lizzie Hinkal in 1884. She is a descendant of a pioneer family of Lycoming county, and is the mother of two children: Howard C. and Mildred. Dr. Fleming has lived at Trout Run for the past seven years, and has won and retained a lucrative practice, as well as the respect of the community. He is a Republican in politics, and was once the nominee of his party for coroner. He is an active member of the I. O. O. F., and in his religious, views is what is commonly known as a free-thinker. Dr. Fleming has always taken, great interest in the progress of education, and has been a director of schools for six years, and president of the Lycoming County Directors’ Association for three successive terms. He is an active member of the Lycoming County, West Branch, and Pennsylvania State Medical Societies and of the American Medical Association. He has been a member of the examining board for pensions since 1889, and is a very worthy and successful practitioner.
GOTTLIEB E. ADE was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, September 10, 1860, son of Carl and Dorothea Ade, of the same place. He received a common school education, learned the shoemaker’s trade in his native land, and followed it there until August, 1881, when he emigrated to the United States and settled at Trout Run, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania. He continued working at his trade as a journeyman until 1882, and then began business for himself, which he has since prosecuted quite successfully. In April, 1890, he opened the Commercial House, which he had previously erected, and conducts the hotel business in connection with shoemaking and barbering. When he arrived at Trout Run eleven years ago our subject was comparatively penniless, but by constant toil and judicious economy, he. has accumulated considerable property. Mr. Ade was married, December 25, 1890, to Emma, daughter of Silas B. and Marian Kelly of Trout Run. Mrs. Ade was born in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, and has one son, Lyster. Mr. Ade is a Lutheran in religion, and in politics he supports the Democratic party.
NATHANIEL C. JOHNSON, farmer and lumberman, was born, November 23, 1814, in Dutchess county, New York, son of Charles and Hannah (Cronk) Johnson, natives. of that county. At the age of six years his parents died and he lived with his uncle, Moses Johnson, in Tioga county, Pennsylvania, until reaching his majority, He received his education at subscription schools and Wellsboro Academy. In 1835 he came to Lycoming county and was employed by Esquire Gates Wilcox in lumbering: on Pine creek. Two years later he removed to Montoursville and continued, the same business for Mr. Wilcox on Loyalsock creek. March 20, 1850, he built a saw mill on Bear creek in Plunkett’s Creek where he has ever since resided, actively and extensively engaged in the manufacture and sale of lumber. Mr. Johnson began his business life with strong arms and a willing heart, but with no means., By hard labor and careful management he has accumulated a handsome competency, being the owner of over 1,000 acres of timber lands and a fine farm in Fairfield township. He is recognized as one of the wealthiest men living along Loyalsock creek, and is highly respected by all who know him. He was one of the original stockholders of the City National Bank of Williamsport, and was a charter member of the Montoursville Manufacturing Company. He was also an original stockholder of the Williamsport and Binghamton railroad. Mr. Johnson was married in 1857 to Anna, daughter of Michael Moyer of Fairfield township, and to this union was born one child, Mary Ellen, who married William H. Belles and has two children: Elsie May and Ernest Nathaniel. Mr. Johnson is a Republican and has filled many of the offices of his township, being at the present time its auditor. He is a member of Eureka Lodge, F. & A. M., of Montoursville, and attends the Lutheran church, to which his wife. belongs.
EDWIN WOOLEVER, lumberman and farmer, was born at Lewis Lake, Sullivan county, Pennsylvania, October 9, 1818, son of Abraham and Priscilla (Forward) Woolever, natives of New Jersey and Maryland, respectively, His parents removed from Sullivan county to Muncy, and subsequently to what is now Gamble township, where the father engaged in farming and lumbering. Abraham Woolever died May 7, 1843, followed by his widow, May 19, 1872, aged seventy and eighty-nine years, respectively. Three of their children are living: Edwin Warner; Priscilla Ann, who married Thomas Chapman, and Edwin. Edwin was reared principally in Lycoming county. He received a fair education and has devoted his life to the lumber business and farming. He was a jobber in the same business until 1851, when he, William Weaver, and George’ Bubb formed a partnership under the firm name of William Weaver & Company. They erected mills on Loyalsock creek and did an extensive business. They owned at one time over 5,000 acres of timber lands. Mr. Bubb finally withdrew from the firm, and afterward two of Mr. Woolever’s sons were admitted to partnership, and the firm of William Weaver & Company has ever since existed and done a large business. Mr. Woolever has been the active manager from the time the firm was founded. He, was married in 1843 to Esther, daughter, of, Peter Wheeland, and. to this union were born five children: Clara Louisa, wife of Benjamin F. Johnson; Grafius H., a merchant at Montoursville; Mary Ellen, wife of Pierson Hill; Coleman C., and Williard H. Mr. Woolever was one of the organizers of the Woolever Methodist Episcopal church of Plunkett’s Creek township, and contributed heavily to its construction. Both he and wife are active members of that organization, of which he has been trustee from the beginning, and in which he has also served as steward. He is a Republican, has filled various township offices, and is one of the wealthy and highly respected citizens of Plunkett’s Creek township.
JULIUS LEWIS, farmer and lumberman, was born in Yorkshire, England, July 25, 1830, son of George and Sarah (Smith) Lewis. He was educated in his native country, and emigrated to America in 1859. He settled in Sullivan county for thirteen, years, where he accumulated considerable property. He then migrated to Missouri, where he remained for five years. Having experienced financial misfortune he returned to Pennsylvania in 1877 and located on the farm where he now resides in Plunkett’s Creek township. He manufactures annually about 100,000 feet of lumber and owns over 500 acres of land. He is one of the original stockholders of the Williamsport and Binghamton Railroad Company, and is a stockholder in the West Branch and the Lycoming National Banks of Williamsport. He is a Republican in politics, and takes an active interest in local affairs. He has served as supervisor, and collector for eight years, and for the past two years he has held the office of constable. He was first married, June 26,1853, in England, to Sarah Fennell, who died in that country. To this union were barn two children: George and Sarah A. He was again married, in 1860, to Ann McCaslin of Fairfield township and to them have been born eight children: John Henry; Alfred Austin; Joseph B., deceased David, Gideon; Mary Elizabeth; Samuel W.; Martha Ann, and Charles L., deceased. Mr. Lewis and family are members of the Wesleyan Methodist church.
JOHN SCAIFE was born in Yorkshire, England, November 15, 1835, son of Will-iam and Mary (Killbank) Scaife. He came to America in. 1856 and lived in Canada, until 1859, when he located in Sullivan county, Pennsylvania. In a short time he removed to the farm where he now lives (which was formerly occupied by M. P. Wells), in Plunkett’s Creek township, Lycoming county. This he has cleared and improved, and here he has followed farming in connection with lumbering. In 186a. he was married to Ann, daughter of Isaac Green, of Sullivan county, Pennsylvania. To this union have been born four children: Mary E., deceased; Watson J.; Harriet W., and Percy P. Mr. Scaife was formerly identified with the Democratic party, but is now a Prohibitionist. He has filled many of, the township offices. In 1864 he enlisted in Company I, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served until the close of the war. He is a charter member of Allan G. Dodd Post,. No. 525, G. A. R., of Proctorville. He is also a member of Eureka Lodge, No. 335, F. and A. M., of Montoursville. Mr. Scaife and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Barbour’s Mills, of which he is steward and has been class leader.
GEORGE GUINTHER, lumberman, was born in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, October 17, 1837, son of John and Catherine (Steiger) Guinther. His parents removed to Lycoming county in 1849 and settled in that portion of Hepburn township now included in Eldred. They removed from there to Fairfield township, where the father died in June, 1887. The mother is still living and resides on the old. homestead in Upper Fairfield township. Their children are named as follows: Mary, who married E. W. Lundy; George; Michael; Rose, deceased; Catherine, who married Joseph Reese; John L.; Margaret Ann, who married S. Tomlinson; Emma, who married Victor Bedford; Ella, who married Frank Keyes, and Lydia, who married Ransom Snyder. George Guinther was reared in Lycoming county and educated in the schools of his neighborhood. He has devoted his business life to farming and lumbering, and for the past five years he has been contracting and building dams and slides for lumber company. He has resided in Proctorville since 1860. He is a Democrat in politics and has been supervisor, over seer of the poor, and, auditor for his township. April 30, 1868, he was married to, Margaret, daughter of Elihu Ely, of Upper Fairfield township, and to this union have been born four children: Ada Lavina, who married Edward Hewman; Elmer E.; Flora, who married Conlan Platts, and John L. Mr. Guinther and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
JAMES WARN, farmer, was born in Moreland township, Lycoming county, March 18, 1838, son of John S. and Mary (Derr) Warn, natives of Sussex county, New Jersey, and Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, respectively. He is also a grandson of Benjamin Warn, a native of New Jersey and one of the pioneer settlers of More-land township, where he cleared a farm and became a very prominent farmer, and died in the faith of the Christian church. John S. Warn, after his marriage, located on his father’s homestead and followed farming and lumbering. He also owned a fine farm in Moreland township. He died, February 1, 1885, followed by his widow in 1890. Both were members of the Baptist church of Moreland township. Their children were named as follows: James; Margaret, wife of George Baker; Emeline, wife of Bethuel Diggan; Ellis; Ann, wife of Smith B. Farr; Elmira, wife of Thomas H. Shoemaker; Charles; Harriet, wife of Wallace E. Wenck; Bertha, wife of James Gilles, and Sarah Jane, deceased. James, the eldest of these children, was reared and educated in Moreland township. He has devoted his entire business life to farming and lumbering. He settled on his present farm in 1865, and has cleared and improved the same. He and his father erected and operated a saw mill at the mouth of Little Bear creek for many years. He is a depositor in the West Branch National Bank of Williamsport. In 1861 Mr. Warn enlisted in Company B, Eighty-Fourth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was honorably discharged in September, 1862, on account of disability. He takes an active interest in politics, is identified with the Republican party, and has served as school director for twenty-four years, and has filled the offices of supervisor, tax collector, and overseer of the poor. Mr. Warn is a member of Allan G. Dodd Post, No. 525, G. A. R., of Proctorville. In 1865 he was married to Sarah Barbour, daughter of James Barbour, and to this union have been born two children: Annie M., wife of Dr. Robert B. Toole, and Elmer G., who married Jennie A. Betz. Mr. Warn and family are members of the Loyalsock Baptist church, of which he has been treasurer.
FRANCIS S. TOMLINSON, merchant, was born in Cascade township; Lycoming county, November 26, 1844, son of Stephen and Margaret (Hoffman) Tomlinson. He moved with his parents to Upper Fairfield township in 1853. He received his education at the Montoursville schools, Dickinson Seminary, and Lewisburg Academy. He learned the trade of a wheelwright but never followed that as an occupation. He taught school in Upper Fairfield, Eldred, Cascade, and Plunkett’s Creek townships, for nineteen terms, after which he became foreman in one of the departments of the Thomas E. Proctor tannery, at Proctorville. He filled that position for seven years, and in August, 1888, he established his present’ business in Proctorville, and enjoys a good trade from the surrounding country. In 1861 he enlisted in Company G, Eighth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served until the close of the war, participating in most of the battles fought by the Army of the Potomac, and receiving wounds in the battle around Richmond. He is a charter member of Allan G. Dodd Post, G. A. R., and is Past Commander of the same. He is an active Democrat, and has served as justice of the peace, school director, and auditor for Plunkett’s Creek township. Mr. Tomlinson was married in 1869 to Margaret A. Guinther, and to this union have been born seven children: Joseph W.; Emma C. and Herbert F., deceased; Ella; Arthur; Elma, and Bigler. He and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Proctorville.
MICHAEL KELLY was the first settler of Cascade township, whither he, came in July, 1843, cutting a road through the forest from DuBois’s saw mill, on Lycoming creek, to the site of Kellysburg, where he erected a log house. He was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, April 24, 1812, immigrated to the United States in 1830, and lived in Philadelphia until his removal to Lycoming county. Mr. Kelly purchased 440 acres of land, and engaged in farming and lumbering. In 1845 John and Matthias DuBois built a saw and grist mill on his tract, which Was burned in 1852. It was rebuilt by Mr., Kelly in 1858, and subsequently converted into a circular saw mill. In 1872-73 he erected a large steam saw mill, which he operated up to within a few years of his, removal. to Kansas. Mr. Kelly was married in Philadelphia to Winifred Boyle, to whom were born two sons: Michael of Sunbury, and Patrick I., who lives on the, old homestead. Politically, Mr. Kelly was a stanch Democrat, and in 1871 was the Democratic candidate for sheriff, but through the treachery of party friends he was defeated. He was one of the founders of St. Mary’s Catholic church of Cascade township, and one of its most prominent supporters until 1880, when he removed to Kansas, where he died in 1883.
PETER O’CONNOR was born in Ireland, in 1817, son of John and Mary O’Connor, and immigrated to Philadelphia in 1838. Six months later he came to Lycoming county, and worked at the charcoal furnaces in Lewis township. He subsequently engaged in farming, and in 1867 purchased a portion of his present homestead, upon which he has since resided. Mr. O’Connor married Mary Plunkett, and with his wife belongs to St. Mary’s; a Catholic church of Cascade township. Politically he is a Democrat, and has served as auditor and school director.
MATTHIAS MCDONALD was born in County Galway, Ireland, April 14, 1829, son of Charles and Mary (Fahey) McDonald. He learned the shoemaker’s trade in his native land, and in 1846 immigrated to Pennsylvania, and worked three years at his trade in Schuylkill and Carbon counties. In 1849 he came to Lycoming county, and settled on the farm where he now lives. With the exception of a couple of years spent at his trade in McIntyre, he has followed farming and lumbering during the greater portion of his residence in this county. Mr. McDonald was married in 1849,7, to Catherine Brennan of Carbon. county, and has eight living children out of a family of fourteen born to this union as follows: Mrs. Mary McLaughlin; John; Mrs. Bridget Kittle; Charles; Kate; James; Thomas, and Ellen. The family belong to St. Mary’s Catholic church, and in politics Mr. McDonald is a Democrat.
PETER MULVEY was born in County Longford, Ireland, in 1819, And there grew to manhood. He then emigrated to the United States, and settled at Danville, Pennsylvania, where he found employment in a rolling mill. He afterwards came to Lycoming county, and was engaged. in mining near Ralston, whence he returned to Danville and remained there until he purchased the farm in Cascade township where his son Joseph now lives. He cleared and improved it, and resided thereon up to his death. He was a life long Democrat, and filled several minor township offices. In religious faith he was a Catholic, and one of the original members of St. Mary’s church. Mr. Mulvey married Kate Maloney, who bore him a family of nine children, three of whom are living: Kate, wife of Henry Riley; Mary A., wife of John Kane, and Joseph. Mrs. Mulvey died in the Catholic faith in 1892.
JOSEPH MULVEY, farmer and merchant, was born in Cascade township, Lycoming county, June 6, 1854, and is a son of Peter and Kate Mulvey. He received a common school education, and was reared upon the homestead farm. He learned the carpenter’s trade, and followed that business until the death of his father, when he returned home and has since been engaged in farming, and has also carried on a mercantile business for several years. Mr. Mulvey was married in 1881, to Mary McGee, and they are the parents of five children: William; John; Mary; Annie, and Celia. Politically he is a Democrat, and is the present tax collector of his township. The family belong to St. Mary’s Catholic church of Cascade township.
PATRICK FLANAGAN was born in County Clare, Ireland, in 1820, and is a son of John and Ellen (O’Dea) Flanagan. He was reared in his native land, there learned the blacksmith’s trade, and at the age of twenty-seven immigrated to Canada. After a few months he crossed the line to Whitehall, New York, where he remained two years working at his trade, and then removed to Blossburg, Pennsylvania, and continued the same business. From Blossburg he came to Lycoming county, and worked at his trade for Furman Field, John DuBois, and Michael Kelly, alternately, for a period of over twenty-one years, excepting a short time he Spent at Austinville in the employ of Butterworth & Company. He purchased a tract of land where he now lives, erected a shop, and carried on blacksmithing in connection with agriculture. He is now the owner of a well improved farm, and is one of the well-to-do citizens of Cascade township. Mr. Flanagan was married in Ireland in 1847, to Catharine Driscoll, and they are the parents of six sons and two daughters, as follows: John, of Tioga county; Mary, who married John McLaughlin, and after his death became the wife of William Ditty; James, of Ralston; Daniel C., a physician of Ralston; Ellen, wife of George Gesler; Patrick C., of Williamsport; William, and Michael J. Mr. Flanagan is a Democrat, and has filled the offices of school director and supervisor. The family are connected with St. Mary’s Catholic church of Cascade township, of which organization both he and wife are pioneer members.
HENRY SOUTHARD was born in Eldred township, Lycoming county, May 12, 1816, and is a son of Henry and Margaret (Vanhorn) Southard. His grandfather, Henry Southard, was a native of Long Island, and a Revolutionary soldier, who settled at Blooming Grove, Lycoming county, at an early date, whence he removed to New York State and there died. He was the father of five sons and five daughters. His third son, Henry, was the father of our subject; he married Margaret Vanhorn, and their children were as follows: Samuel, Hannah, and William, all of whom are dead; Mercy, wife of George Apgar; Henry; Mary A., wife of J. Brelsford; Thomas, deceased; Rebecca, wife of William Mansell; John, of Loyalsockville, and Isaac, deceased. The father died in Eldred township about 1869. The subject of this sketch received a common school education, and learned the tailor’s trade, which he followed until 1840; he then engaged in the lumber business, and in 1866 settled where he now lives in Gamble township. He purchased a tract of 120 acres, erected a saw mill, and engaged in the manufacture of lumber, which he carried on in connection with farming until 1883. He then retired from active business and was succeeded by his son, Isaac H. He married Eliza Casner, who died in 1840, leaving no children. In 1849 he married Margaret Schmidgall, who died January 20, 1892. Three children survive this union: Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Lundy; Thomas, and Isaac H. Mr. Southard has filled the offices of township auditor and supervisor, and politically he is independent.
ISAAC H. SOUTHARD, youngest son of Henry and Margaret Southard, was born in Hepburn township, Lycoming county, August 26, 1862. He received a common, school education, and was employed by his father until succeeding to the business in 1883. In 1890 he established a store in connection with his mill, which he has Since conducted. In 1882 he married Caroline L. Swartz, and has four children: Vesta M.; Howard F.; Herman A., and Nina B. He is a Republican, and fills the offices of auditor and constable.
JAMES S. LOW was born at Warrensville, Lycoming county, and was a son of Henry Low, a native of Mercer county, New Jersey, who came to Lycoming county at an early date and settled in Eldred township, one mile west of Warrensville. He purchased 160 acres of land, cleared up a farm, and resided there until 1857, when he moved to Warrensville and there died. His wife’s maiden name was Annie Salter, and she also was a native of New Jersey. They were the parents of two sons, James S. and Matthias H., and two daughters, Lancy and Amy. Our subject was reared on the homestead farm, and learned the millwright’s trade. He afterwards was engaged in bridge building in the county for several years, and then removed to Clinton county, where for some years he followed the sale of fanning mills. He then returned home, and in 1852 located in what is now Gamble township. He purchased 200 acres of land, cleared and improved it, and resided there until his death. He married Barbara A. List of Warrensville, who bore him the following children: Mrs. Amelia Mahler, deceased; Matthew H.; Jacob S.; Mrs. Sophia J. McKnight; Susanna, deceased; Samantha, deceased, and two who died young. Mr. Low was a Republican in politics, and a member of the Christian church.
MATTHEW H. LOW, oldest son of James S. and Barbara A. Low, was born in Clinton county, and grew to manhood in Warrensville. He received a common school education, and was engaged in lumbering until November, 1863. He then, enlisted in Company G, Eighth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served under Colonel Wilson until the close of the war. He was wounded in the left cheek and left shoulder, May 11, 1864, during Sheridan’s raid on Richmond, and sent to the hospital. After his recovery he rejoined his regiment, and remained in active, service until mustered out. Upon his return home he learned the millwright’s and carpenter’s trades, which business he followed until 1872. He then built the Extract Works at Trout Run, which he operated until 1876, When he located in Gamble township, and engaged in farming and lumbering. Mr. Low married Harriet F. Ridge, and has a family of nine children: Mary A.; James A.; Henry W.; Susan E.; Annie F.; Benton M.; Torrence J.; Coils, and Viola. Politically he is a Republican, and has filled the office of school director since 1876, besides other township offices. He is a member of Allan G. Dodd Post, G. A. R., of Proctorville, also of the I. O. O. F. and the P. O. S. of A., and is connected with the, Methodist Episcopal church.
WILLIAM CONDON was born in Trenton, New Jersey, November 9, 1826, and is a son of James and Margaret A. Condon. His father settled at Muncy, Lycoming county, in 1828, whence he removed to Field’s Station, and subsequently located upon the farm where William Condon now resides. He was one of the early settlers of what is now Gamble township. The subject of this sketch resided upon the homestead farm until 1861, when he enlisted in Company C, Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served three years and two months, participating in all of the engagements and campaigns in which his regiment, as a part of the Army of the Cumberland, was engaged. The only injury he received was a gunshot wound in the right foot, through the carelessness of a member of his own company. After his discharge he returned home, and has since followed agricultural pursuits, being now the owner of a farm of ninety acres. Mr. Condon married Catharine Kennedy of White Deer valley, and has one son, John K. Politically he was a Whig before the war, but has since been a stanch Republican. He is a member of Reno Post, G. A. R., and is connected with Penn’s Dale Presbyterian church.
MATTHEW HALL, farmer, is a son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Bitting) Hall. His father was born in Hepburn township, and was a son of Joseph Hall. He was a blacksmith by trade, and when a young man he settled at Trout Run, where he engaged in the blacksmith business until 1869. At this time he purchased a farm of 1,000 acres, where his son now resides and where he died in 1883. In politics he was a Democrat and filled some of the minor township offices, and was postmaster for twenty years at Rose valley. He was married in 1840 to Elizabeth, daughter of John Bitting, of Union county, Pennsylvania, and to this union were born the following children: Mary E., wife of Henry Clendenin; John L.; Hannah, wife of William Minier; Lora A., wife of Adam Striley; William; James B.; Matthew, and Anna, wife of Wirt Kendall Our subject was born at Trout Run, April 6, 1859, and received a common school education. He was reared on a farm, and at the death of his father he took charge of the home place and has continued to farm ever since. He is a Democrat in politics and is a member of the I. O. O. F. at Trout Run. He was married in 1885, to Mary, daughter of Abraham Young, and to this union have been born two children: Joseph and Grace.
JACOB KAUPP was a native of Wurtemberg, Germany, and came to Wolf township, Lycoming county, about 1833. He was a blacksmith, and followed his trade for several years, subsequently purchasing the farm in Gamble township where the latter years of his life were spent. He married Margaret Springman and was the, father of twelve children, six of whom are living: Mary, who married James R. Sweeney and lives in Illinois; Elizabeth, who married Samuel R. Keys; Mathias who married Jane King; Godfrey, who married Mary Winner and resides in Missouri; Margaret A., who married Hiram B. Willson, and John S. Both Jacob Kaupp and wife died upon the homestead at an advanced age.
JOHN S. KAUPP, son of Jacob and Margaret Kaupp, was born in Wolf township, Lycoming county, in 1837. He received a common school education, and has always been engaged in farming, purchasing the old homestead in Gamble township upon the death of his father. He married Mary C. Koons, and is the father of five living children: Ann; Ella; Edward; Cora, and Wilbur. Mr. Kaupp is a Republican, and is the present supervisor of his township.
JOHN M. GESLER was born in Germany, January 16, 1814, son of Christian and Hannah Gesler. He was reared in his native land, and there learned the carpenter’s trade. In 1849 he came to the United States, and settled in what is now Gamble township, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, where he purchased a tract of 300 acres and engaged in lumbering and farming. During the past forty-three years he has cleared up a fine farm, and erected good improvements. He is the father of five children, three of whom survive: Mena, wife of E. Bateman; William, and George. Mrs. Gesler died in 1867. In early life Mr. Gesler served a term in the German army. In politics he is a Democrat, and one of the oldest settlers of his community. Originally a Lutheran, he became a Presbyterian after coming to Lycoming county, and is still a member of that church.
JOHN W. ALBERT was a native of Baden, Germany, and emigrated to the United States about 1840. He first located at Newark, New Jersey, but soon removed to Blooming Grove, Lycoming county, and found employment at various occupations for several years. In 1846 he purchased 108 acres in Gamble township, which he cleared and improved. He married Mary M. Zimmerman, and his family consisted of six children: Mary, deceased; Sarah, wife of George Stiger; George, deceased; David; Rosie, deceased wife of George Stiger, and Sophia, deceased. Mr. Albert was a member of the Baptist church, and politically he was a Democrat. He died in 1865; his wife survived him until 1887.
DAVID ALBERT, butcher and farmer, was born in Blooming Grove, Lycoming county, in 1846, and is one of the two survivors of the family of John W. and Mary M. Albert. He received a, common school education, learned the butcher’s trade, and has since been engaged in that business. He purchased the old homestead in 1873; in 1882 he purchased his present farm of 260 acres, and carries on farming in connection with butchering. He married Alice, daughter of Capt. Allan G. Dodd, who has borne him eleven children, as follows: Lulu, deceased; Minnie; George; Sadie, deceased; William; Elmer and Ella, twins; Harry; Charles; Lillie, and Edith. Mr. Albert is a Prohibitionist, and is a member of the United Brethren church of Gamble township. He has filled the offices of constable and supervisor, is at present overseer of the poor, and is one of the respected citizens of the community.
DR. GEORGE M. CUMMINGS was born in Gamble township, Lycoming county, January 19, 1864. His parents, Patrick Francis and Elizabeth (Kelly) Cummings, were born in Ireland, the former near the College of Maynooth, in the Province of Leinster, and the latter at Rathfryland, in the Province of Ulster. They settled first in Philadelphia, and later came to Cascade township, finally locating in what is now Gamble township, where Mrs. Cummings still lives, her husband having died several years ago. They were the parents of nine children, as follows. James H., of the Williamsport police force; Mary A.; William E., deceased; Mrs. E. J. Gallagher of Langdon, Pennsylvania; Rate G.; Frank P., a lawyer of Williamsport; John M., deceased; Charles J., register and recorder of. Lycoming county, and George M. The last mentioned received a common school education, and subsequently attended the Muncy Normal School. Choosing the profession of teaching, he taught successfully for several years, and concluded his labors as principal of the DuBoistown schools. In the spring of 1889 he began the study of medicine with Dr. D. C. Flanagan of Ralston, and subsequently entered. the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, Maryland, from which institution he graduated in the class of 1892. Dr. Cummings has recently opened an office in Williamsport. He is a member of the Catholic church, and is an energetic worker in the ranks of the Democratic party.
SAMUEL HEYLMAN was a native of Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, and removed to Lycoming county about 1800. He settled on the site of Ralston, and was one of the earliest settlers in that part of the county. He entered fifty acres of land, which, he began improving, subsequently removing to Marsh Hill, some three miles below, Ralston, where he spent the latter portion of his life. He married Elizabeth Pickle, who bore him, five children, four of whom survived childhood: Joseph, deceased;. Jacob B., who married Sarah A. Wheeler; Mordecai, who married Orinda Faber, and Sarah, who married Henry Apker. Mr. Heylman was a member of the Chris-tian church, and a Republican in his political affiliations.
JACOB B. HEYLMAN, son of Samuel Heylman, was born near Williamsport, Pennsylvania, October 3, 1803. He grow to manhood in his native county, and in 1826 married Sarah Ann Wheeler and located at Field’s Station, but removed to the old homestead at Marsh Hill in 1839 and purchased an additional forty acres of land. He resided upon the farm until his death, which occurred in 1882. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and voted with the Republican party. He. was the father of the following children: Mordecai, who married Sarah J. Brown; Emanuel, who married Phoebe Carpenter; Samuel, who married Susanna Wilson; Mary, who remained unmarried; Leonard, who married Marcella Murrell; Daniel, who married Dorleski Hathaway; Sarah, deceased; Warren K., who married Clara C. Crawford, and James W., who married Ida A. Smith.
WARREN K. HEYLMAN, son of Jacob B. Heylman, was born at Marsh Hill, October 18, 1844. He remained with his father until his marriage to. Clara C. Crawford, which occurred September 17, 1881. He then became foreman for Barber & Crawford of Philadelphia at Sheffield, Pennsylvania, which position he held until 1883, and then returned to Lycoming county, where he was engaged in buying and selling bark for one year. He subsequently purchased the store of J. W. Kilborn at. Marsh Hill, which business he conducted until 1890, and then entered the employ of Mr. Crawford of Philadelphia as a jobber. Mr. Heylman was a Republican until. 1890, since which time he has voted the Democratic ticket; though elected to the offices of justice of the peace, clerk, auditor, and constable he refused to serve, as he takes no active interest in political matters.
JAMES W. HEYLMAN, youngest son of Jacob B. Heylman, was born on the homestead at Marsh Hill, June 10, 1848. In 1867 he removed to Wisconsin, where he, engaged in steam boating for two years. He then returned home, but soon afterward, located at Manistee, Michigan, and engaged in the millwright and engineer business. He did not remain long there, but traveled considerably in the western States, and finally contracted fever and ague and was compelled to return to Lycoming. county. He afterward worked as a fireman on the Northern Central railroad until 1877, and in 1879 was promoted to the charge of an engine on that road. He Served as an engineer on the Northern Central for eight years, and resigned his position February 19, 1887. Mr. Heylman married Ida A. Smith, September 15,1872. Six children are the fruits of this union: Sarah L.; Rosamond; Samuel A.; Mary Alice, deceased; James Warren, deceased, and Verdie B. In 1890 Mr. Heylman engaged in the manufacture of lumber in partnership with his brother, Warren K., but after about two weeks the mill was burned. They rebuilt on the old site, and continued the business successfully. Mr. Heylman possesses a poetic temperament, and occasionally indulges his penchant for the muses. In 1887 he published a volume of poems entitled "Musings on a Locomotive." He voted the Democratic ticket until 1888, when he supported Harrison and has since been a Republican.
WILLIAM KING was born in Jaysburg, now a portion of the city of Williamsport, Pennsylvania, about 1783. In 1834 he settled on Lycoming creek, one mile above Ralston, where he rented a tract of land of a Mr. Carpenter, and engaged in farming. In 1806 he married Hannah Sheffer, who bore him a family of six children: Joseph; William; John; Reeder; Mary, deceased, and Charles. Though he cleared and improved the farm, it was not purchased by the family until after his death. He died January 21, 1861, at the age of seventy-seven years. Mr. King was liberal in his religious views and in politics a Republican.
REEDER KING, fourth son of William and Hannah King, was born within the present limits of Williamsport, Pennsylvania, May 18, 1818, He removed with his parents to McIntyre township in 1834, and was one of the first men who worked the McIntyre coal mines, near Ralston. He was also engaged in the Carterville iron ore mines. He afterward opened the coal mines at Red run. He then went to railroading, and assisted in running the first engines in this part of the State, at which occupation. he worked seven years. He next became foreman for Thompson & Trigo, lumber operators, which position he held two years, and then commenced hauling coal from Miner’s run to Ralston, which he continued until the Northern Central railway was built to the mines. In connection with his brother Charles he afterwards engaged in the business of millwright, and followed that occupation until the breaking out of the rebellion. In 1861 he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers. He served with his regiment on the Chickahominy and at Richmond under McClellan, and also participated in the battles of the Wilderness. After his term of enlistment expired he returned to Lycoming county, where he has since resided. Mr. King was married in 1847 to Clara Fassett, who has had two children: Louisa and Cora, both of whom are dead. Politically Mr. King is a Republican, and is now receiving a pension because of disease contracted while in the army.
CHARLES KING, youngest son of William and Hannah King, was born in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania, July 15, 1824. He remained with his father until after the death of the latter, and then in partnership with his brother John purchased the farm upon which the family had lived. After John’s death our subject bought out the other heirs, and became sole owner of the farm. Mr. King was married April 24, 1861, to Eliza E. Parker, who has had four children: Joseph J.; Mary, deceased; Grant P., and Harriet, deceased. In politics Mr. King is, a Republican, and has served as supervisor, school director, and treasurer of the township for many years.
JOSEPH E. ROGERS was born in New Jersey, August 30, 1812. He was, a millwright by trade, and removed from New Jersey to what is, now. known as "Race Course Island" below Williamsport, Pennsylvania, where he resided until 1831. He then purchased a small tract of land at Field’s Station, and erected a saw and grist mill. He also kept a hotel, and carried on business there until 1876, when he removed with his family to Ralston. In connection with his other business he followed his trade, and was the patentee of a mulay and a suction force pump, both of which have become valuable. Mr. Rogers was married in 1834 to Deborah McCullough, who bore him a family of ten children: William, who married Margaret Cleckner.; Mary, who married Samuel Fessler; Joseph C., who married Ellen Dale; Rosetta, who married John Hendrickson; Harriet, deceased; Margaret, who married James De Courcy; Emily J., who married Elijah Wade; John W., who married Mary Stapleton; Samuel, deceased, and Juliet, who married E. A. Brigham. Mr. Rogers was a Presbyterian, and a member of the I. O. O. F. He was a Republican, and held the principal offices of his township from time to time.
JOHN W. ROGERS, son of Joseph E. Rogers, was born at Field’s Station, Lycoming county, April 12, 1853. In 1869 he went to Pittsburg, and was employed by the Allegheny Valley Railway, Company, with which he remained until the fall of 1870. He then returned to Williamsport and became foreman on Stonaker & Howard’s mill, and was employed by them eighteen months. He was next engaged on the Northern Central railroad as a brakeman until 1876, and then became conductor and filled that position until August 1, 1883. He assisted in building the large tannery at Ralston, and became foreman in the liquor changing department of that institution. Mr. Rogers was married in 1875, to Mary Stapleton, and is the father of three children: Ida L., Joseph, deceased, and Edmund, Politically he is a Republican, and has been a school director four years. He is a member of Lodge No. 199, K. of P., and during his connection with the railway service he was a member of the society of Railway Conductors.
ELIAS KILBORN was born in Litchfield, Litchfield county, Connecticut, in 1768. He was a stone mason by trade, and after leaving home first located at Milford, Otsego county, New York, where he remained until 1824. He then removed to Canton, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, and purchased a partly improved farm from Nathan Tabor. He resided at Canton ten years, and then removed to Union township, Tioga county, where he died six years later. Mr. Kilborn was twice married. His first wife was Deborah Page, who bore him six children: Norman, who married Mary Stone and resides in Yates county, New York; Osiah, who married Electa Grantier; Henry, who married Roxanna Spencer; Rhoda, who married Davis Grantier; Anna, who married Elias Withey, and Caroline, who became the wife of James Warren. He married for his second wife Sadie Page, sister of his first wife, who became the mother of four children: Eliza, who married, Hubbard Spencer; Thala, who married James Maddock; James, who married Margaret Clendenin, and Angeline, who married James W. Heylman. Mr. Kilborn was a member of the Reformed Methodist church. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and in politics was an old-line Whig.
JAMES R. KILBORN, son of Elias and Sarah Kilborn, was born in Canton, Brad-ford county, Pennsylvania, in 1824. At the age of seventeen he located at Penn’s Dale, and there engaged in lumbering, which he followed fourteen years, the last five as a jobber for McIntyre & Robertson. He then purchased a farm which he cultivated until within a few years, and is now retired from active business, and resides at Canton, Pennsylvania. He married Margaret Clendenin in 1854, and is the father of four children: John C., who married Alida Keys; Peter T., who married Laura E. Hebe, James W., and Ella. Mr. Kilborn is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and takes great interest in church affairs. He has been a steward and class leader of the society for a number of years. He is a Republican in politics, and has filled all of the important offices of his township. For many years he has been a member of the I. O. O. F.
PETER T. KILBORN was born in Lewis township, Lycoming county, August 24, 1855, and is the second son of James R. Kilborn. He remained with his parents. until his majority, when he was employed by Robert Innes in the railroad office at Bodines, removing to Field’s Station in 1880, where he remained nearly a year, and then returned to Bodines. He remained at the latter place four years, and thence moved to Ralston, where he has lived for the past six years. He was married in. 1880 to Laura E. Hebe, and has a family of four children: Helen C.; Fred R.; Elsie M., and Leslie E. Mr. Kilborn is a member and trustee of the Methodist Episcopal church at Ralston, and is superintendent of the Sunday school. In politics he is a Republican, was school director at Bodines about one year, was assessor of McIntyre township one term, and has filled the office of township treasurer and several minor positions.
JAMES W. KILBORN was born at Penn’s Dale, Lewis township, Lycoming county, May 26, 1860. At the age of twenty he engaged in general merchandising at Marsh Hill, where he continued business four years. He then sold out to W. K. Heylman, and sold goods on the road one year for John Spellisy, cigar manufacturer. He again started in business for himself at Ralston, where he has since remained. Politically he is a Republican and was once a candidate for county commissioner on that ticket. He is a member and trustee of the Methodist Episcopal church of Ralston, and is prominently connected with the I. O. O. F. society. Mr. Kilborn is recognized as one of the leading young business men of the northern part of Lycoming county.
DANIEL MILLER was born in York county, Pennsylvania, about 1810, and at the, age of twenty he removed to Lycoming county and located at Hepburnville. He was a stone mason by trade, but after a short time spent in this county he purchased a farm in Watson township, and followed agricultural pursuits about twenty years. He continued farming until 1863, after which he worked at his trade the balance of his life. Mr. Miller was married in 1830 to Elizabeth Miller, who bore him a family of twelve children, eleven of whom grew to maturity. They were as follows: Susan, who married Mr. Oakes; Elizabeth, who married John Kern; John, who married Annie Johnson; George, who married Louisa Clauser; Jacob, deceased; Michael, who married Phoebe Weaver; Peter, who married Carrie Weigel; Henry, who married a Miss Goff; Charles, deceased; Mary, wife of John De Remer, and Daniel. Mr. Miller was liberal in his religious views, and a Democrat in politics.
PETER MILLER, son of Daniel and Elizabeth Miller, was born on the homestead farm in Watson township, May 2, 1845. He remained at home until he was eighteen years old, when he enlisted in Company K, One Hundred and Fifty-Second Pennsylvania Volunteers, Third Artillery, for three years. After serving twenty-two, months, the war was brought to, a close by the surrender of Lee at Appomattox, and Mr. Miller was mustered out of the service. In 1866 he formed a partnership with D. H. Weigel, in the grocery business, and after five years they sold out their stock and he removed to Union township, Tioga county, and engaged in the lumber, business under the firm name of Weigel & Miller. They conducted business at that, point until 1883, and then removed their mill to Ralston. Mr. Weigel retired from their firm, and our subject continued the business, alone. In 1884 his mill was destroyed by fire and rebuilt the same year. By the flood of 1889 he sustained a several loss, but with characteristic energy he rebuilt his mill and continued the lumber business successfully. He married Carrie Weigel, but has no children. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which body he hag been a deacon a number of years. Politically he is a Republican, has been township treasurer four years, and is at present serving in the office of road commissioner. Mr. Miller is a member of Amazon Lodge, I. O. O. F., and was at one time connected with the United American Mechanics.
JOSEPH GOSLINE was born near Bordeaux, France, about 1745, and came to the United States with his father, who was compelled to leave his native land on account of a political disturbance. He located at Watertown, near Boston, Massachusetts, where our subject grew to manhood. About 1767 Joseph Gosline married Mary Gilbert, a daughter of a well known physician of Boston. He was afterwards sent by an English stock company to Vermont, to superintend the erection of charcoal furnaces for the manufacture of pig iron, which position he held until after the war of 1812. In 1822 he removed to Oneida with his son-in-law and engaged in the manufacture of stoves, which business he followed until his death. Mr. Gosline was reared in the Catholic faith, but after his marriage he became a member of the Protestant Episcopal church. He was an old-line Whig in politics, and always supported that party. He died at the advanced age of ninety years. To Joseph and Mary Gosline, were born the following children: Abiah; Mary; Sarah; Thomas; Joseph; Pomeroy; Enos; Gilbert, and James L.
POMEROY GOSLINE, son of Joseph and Nary Gosline, was born at Watertown, Massachusetts, about 1791. In early boyhood he was bound out to learn the hatter’ 9 trade, and remained with his master until he was nineteen years old. He after-wards went to New Orleans, where he spent ten years, and thence to Geneva, New York, where he entered into partnership with A. and I. Tolcott in the manufacture of hats, and remained a member of the firm four years. Selling his interest to his partners, he removed to Newark Valley, and carried on the same business for a short time, and thence came to Bradford, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in the hotel business. In 1844 he sold his hotel and, removed to Wysox, Pennsylvania, and engaged in farming and there died, February 17, 1860. He married Charlotte Lawrence in January, 1826, who bore him the following children: Mary; Andrew; Angeline; Gilbert; Pomeroy; Charlotte, who married I. W. Carl; Abel; Lucina, who married Sylvinus Brown, and Joseph. Mr. Gosline was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics supported the old-line Whig party. He served in the war of 1812, and participated in the battle of Plattsburg under Captain Fleming of the volunteer service.
ANDREW J. GOSLINE, eldest son of Pomeroy Gosline, was born in Newark Valley, February 17, 1828. He learned the carpenter’s trade, and at the age of twenty he engaged in the lumber. business, which he has continued up to the present. In 1861 he enlisted in the Union army and served three years. After his discharge, in 1864, he resumed work at his trade and followed it until 1875. He then purchased a saw mill and a tract of 400 acres of timber land, which he converted into lumber. In 1883 he transferred his mill and land to his son, Andrew J., who has conducted the business since that date. Mr. Gosline has been twice married. His first wife was Harriet Johnson, whom he wedded in 1851. She became the mother of three children: William E., deceased; Mary, who married John P. Brainard, and Andrew J. His second wife was Annie E. Gordon, whom he married in 1869. He is a Democrat in politics, and served as postmaster of Roaring Branch during Cleveland’s administration.
JACOB MYERS was a native of one of the eastern States, where he was born about 1767. After reaching manhood he removed to Wyoming valley, in this State, bringing his young wife with him. He purchased a farm immediately above the mouth of Mahoopenny creek, but because of some flaw in the title he finally lost his land. He thence moved to Towanda, Bradford county, near which he purchased 400 acres upon which he resided until his death. His wife was Martha Basset, whom he married about the year 1791. They were the parents of the following children: Eliza who married Peter Jones; Henry; Jeremiah; Luther; Anna, who married F. F. Fairchild; Mahala, who married A. Y. Ellsworth; John; Simon C.; Martha, who married Nelson Graham, and Harriet. Mr. Myers was a member of the Baptist church. He died at the age of sixty-seven years; his widow survived him nineteen years.
SIMON C. MYERS, youngest son of Jacob Myers, was born in Wyoming valley, June 22, 1824. His father died when he was ton years old, and he then went to live with his brother Henry, with whom he remained some four years. At the age of sixteen he engaged in lumbering. He took his first contract from Elias Hawley, on Towanda creek, and worked for Mr. Hawley several years. He afterwards kept hotel at Leroy two years, and thence removed to Canton, where he lived five years. He then removed to Ralston, Lycoming county, where he was engaged in the hotel business thirty years. He is now retired from active business life. In 1855 he married Jane B. Simpkins, who bore him two children: Fannie L., wife of James Fender, and Jennie L. Mr. Myers has been actively identified with public affairs at Ralston and vicinity for many years. Two year; after settling at Ralston he became auditor, and Subsequently school director. He has been a justice of the peace for several years, and has always taken a deep interest in the social and material development of his adopted home, giving his hearty and earnest support to educational matters. Retired from active business, he is now enjoying the com-forts of a home and a competence which he accumulated through the passing years.
THOMAS DUNLAP was a native of Ayrshire, Scotland, where he was born about the beginning of the present century. When twelve years old he ran away from home, took passage on a vessel, and came to America. He served an apprenticeship on board the ship, and after his term expired he returned to his native land, where he remained the balance of his life. He married Margaret Smith, whose father, Hugh Smith, was town clerk of. Dundonald, Scotland. She became the mother of twelve children, only seven of whom grew to maturity, as follows: Hugh, who married Jennie Spence; Margaret, who married John Boyle; Mary, who married John Brown; Jeanetta, who married Davis Steele; Archibald, who married Lizzie Holland; Thomas, who married Jennie Smith, and Martha, who became the wife of James Hines. Mr. Dunlap belonged to the Church of Scotland, what is known in this country as the Presbyterian denomination. He learned the miller’s, trade after reaching manhood, and followed that occupation up to his death, which occurred at the ripe old age of eighty-five years.
THOMAS DUNLAP, youngest son of Thomas and Margaret Dunlap, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, April 7, 1839, and grew to manhood in his native land. He learned the miller’s trade, and in 1868 immigrated to Pennsylvania and located at Snow Shoe, Centre county. He followed milling and coal mining, and two years after coming to Pennsylvania he removed to Lycoming county and found employment with the McIntyre Coal Company. He remained with that firm about five years, and then purchased the hotel property of George Calhoun, at McIntyre, remaining there until 1885. He removed to Peale about the time the coal company transferred their business to that point, and continued the hotel business there nearly six years, when he located at Ralston and has since conducted the Ralston House, which he purchased from S. C. Myers. Mr. Dunlap was married in 1862 to Jennie Smith, and both he and wife are members of the Presbyterian church. He is quite prominent in the local councils of the Republican party, and always supports the candidates and measures of that organization. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of P.
DANIEL C. FLANAGAN, M. D., was born at Astonville, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, September 1, 1854, son of Patrick and Catherine (Driscoll) Flanagan. He remained with his parents, attending the public schools of Cascade township, until 1873, and then entered the Montoursville Normal School, where he continued his studies until the fall of 1879; he was then appointed a teacher in that institution, and continued to fill that position for one term. He then began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Edward Lyon, of Williamsport, and in 1881 attended lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, Maryland, where he graduated in March, 1883. For about six months he was associated with Dr. Lyon, and in the fall of 1883 located at Liberty, where he continued to practice until 1884, when he removed to Ralston. For the past eight years Dr. Flanagan has continued in the active duties of his profession, and has built up a lucrative practice in Ralston and the northern part of Lycoming county. In the fall of 1884 he was elected on the Democratic ticket county coroner, and, served in that capacity three years. He has also filled the position of surgeon on the Northern Central railroad for three years. The Doctor has served on the school board for six years, and has been a director, treasurer, and secretary of the board. He has also filled the position of clerk of McIntyre township one year. Politically he is an ardent Democrat, and since reaching his majority he has been actively identified with that party. He has been a delegate to the county and State conventions several times, and is recognized as one of the prominent young men of his party. Dr. Flanagan was married, October 15, 1885, to Catharine Reilly, a sister of C. J. Reilly, the district attorney of Lycoming county. They have had two children: Herbert, deceased, and Elizabeth. Dr. Flanagan and wife are practical members of the Catholic church.
FRANCIS HENRY was born in Indiana county, Pennsylvania, in 1840, and came to Lycoming county with his father when a boy. They settled in Cascade township, where his father purchased a farm. He was a blacksmith by trade, and worked at that business while his sons cleared and improved his purchase. Francis remained with his parents until after his marriage, and then began life for himself. He followed the lumber business in Rose valley for several years, and then removed to Warrensville, where he engaged in butchering, After a few years in this business he returned to the lumber trade, at which he was engaged three years on Pleasant stream. He then went to Block House settlement, purchased a saw mill, and engaged in custom sawing. He afterwards bought a farm a short distance below his, mill, and followed farming in connection with lumbering. He subsequently took. contracts for peeling tan bark for John Innes and furnishing logs to C. S. Green, which continued several years. He finally purchased the timber on 800 acres of land from Mr. Griggs of Montoursville, and is now engaged in getting out his purchase. He married Malinda Bloom, in 1861, who has borne him seven children: Annie, and William E., both deceased; George H.; Edward; Laura; Mary, and Daniel. Politically Mr. Henry is a Republican, and is liberal in his religious opinions.
GEORGE H. HENRY, eldest living son of Francis and Malinda Henry, was born in Warrensville, Lycoming county, December 6, 1866. He was married, December 20i 1887, to Jennie Secrist, and has two children: Bertha E. and Joseph F. Up to within the last two years he assisted his father in farming and lumbering, and has since devoted his attention to farming for himself. He is a graduate of Williamsport Commercial College, and in politics he is an ardent supporter of the Democratic party.
ELI MCNETT was born in Massachusetts, December 4, 1775, and removed to, Pennsylvania in 1804. He settled in Tioga county, within a few rods of the Lycoming county line, where the village of Carpenter is now located. He was married in 1802 to Perthena Nowell, who bore him six children: Samuel; Andrew; John; Roswell; Eli, and Electa. He purchased several hundred acres of land in Tioga and Lycoming counties, upon which he erected a brick house and opened a. hotel. It was called the Halfway House, because it was halfway between Elmira, New York, and Williamsport, Pennsylvania. Mr. McNett was widely known as "Uncle Mac," and was highly respected for his genial qualities and charitable disposition. He never turned a deaf ear to the requests of suffering humanity, and his door always swung on easy hinges. Politically he was a Democrat, and liberal in his religious opinions. He spent the latter years of his life on the homestead farm.
ANDREW MCNETT, second son of Eli and Perthena McNett, was born on the, homestead in 1805. He remained under the parental roof until 1831, in which year he was married to Marcella Keys. Six children were born of this union: Henry H.; Mary, who married Beatty McDowell; Juliet, who married John C. Reed; Elects, who became the wife of E. W. Sweet; Eli L., and Frances, who married L. D. Jackson. After his marriage Mr. McNett removed to Lycoming county, and settled on a part of his father’s land, also purchasing a small tract from a Mr. Scott. While liberal in his religious views, he was quite prominent in all local charitable movements. He was a, Democrat in politics, and though filling some minor offices took no active interest in political affairs.
HENRY H. MCNETT, eldest son of Andrew and Marcella McNett, was born in Lycoming county, September 18, 1832. After reaching manhood he removed to Wisconsin, where he remained two years. Returning to his home he engaged in surveying, and surveyed nearly all of the lands along the line of Lycoming and Tioga counties. Mr. McNett established an apiary several years ago, and has devoted much attention to the culture of honey and bees, in connection with farming. He was married in 1864 to Emma Newell, and has two children: Frederick, deceased, and Harry. Politically an ardent Democrat, he has filled all of the offices in his township, and has been a justice of the peace for thirteen years. He is one of the leading Democrats in the upper end of Lycoming county, and wields considerable local influence. He is a member of the Masonic order, also of the Orange and Farmers’ Alliance, and has always taken a prominent part in advocating the principles of temperance.
ELI L. MCNETT, youngest son of Andrew McNett, was born upon the homestead farm August 12, 1842. At the age of twenty he left home and spent one year at Dickinson Seminary, Williamsport, and then became shipper for the lumber firm of Brown & Early, which position he held four years. In 1872 he entered the employ of the Northern Central railroad, as station agent at Carpenter, and has ever since filled that position. Mr. McNett is a man of good education, and was connected with the Lycoming Gazette under Thomas Smith, and also a correspondent of the New York World. He was the first Master Workman of District 135, K. of L., of Tioga and Bradford counties. He compiled the ritual for the Patrons of Temperance, and is an ardent supporter of that cause. He is postmaster of Carpenter, has been a school director for a number of years, and was largely instrumental in obtaining the free book system in the schools of McNett township. He has been treasurer of the township since its organization. Mr. McNett has been twice married. In 1866 he married Crissie Parsons, who became the mother of seven children: Irene; Mande; Mary, deceased; Florence; Beatrice; Andrew, and Annie, the last two mentioned being twins. His second marriage occurred in 1887, to Hattie Spalding. In politics he is a Prohibitionist, and was a candidate on that ticket, and ran 200 votes ahead of the gubernatorial candidate of his party.