JAMES WOOD, retired lumberman and farmer, was born in Yorkshire, England, June 2, 1809, son of John Wood. In 1842 he emigrated to this country And settled in Wilmington, Delaware. He was a wagon maker by trade, and engaged in that business in that city until 1844. In this year, in company with James Bardsley, William Aveyard, and Thomas Matrom, they came to Lycoming county to purchase 1,000 acres of land. They settled upon a tract of land belonging to Robert Ralston, in, Lewis township, but being unable to get a title to this land they returned to Wilmington. In 1849 Mr. Wood returned to Lycoming county and purchased 400 acres in Cogan House township, where he now resides. In company with his two sons, Robert and Joseph, he erected a saw mill and they sawed the first lumber and were the pioneers of that branch of business in Cogan House township In early life Mr. Wood married Mary, daughter of Joseph Caldwell, of Yorkshire, England, and to this union have been born six children: Robert; Joseph; Richard, who died in February, 1892; James; Ambrose, and Sarah, wife of Charles Ayers. In his religious faith Mr. Wood was trained in the Church of England, but in his. latter years he became attached to the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he is a consistent member. In his political affiliations Mr. Wood is a Democrat, and while he neither sought nor would accept office outside of his township, he has always taken an active interest in his party. At the age of twenty-one he joined the Manchester union of Odd Fellows, and subsequently became a member of Lycoming, Lodge, No. 112, I. O. O. F., of Williamsport. In 1870, after an active business life of forty years, Mr. Wood retired, and now, at the ripe old age of eighty-three, he resides upon his homestead in Cogan House township, where he settled nearly half a century ago, surrounded by his children and grandchildren, and respected by all who know him.
ROBERT WOOD, the eldest son of James and Mary (Caldwell) Wood, was born, December 3, 1832, in Yorkshire, England. He received a common school education and after he grew to manhood, in connection with his brother Joseph, he formed the firm of R. & J. Wood and engaged in the manufacture of lumber, at which he was employed until 1864. At this time his brother sold his interest to James Wood, Jr., and this firm existed until 1876. In 1881 Mr. Wood was elected register and recorder of Lycoming county, and filled the office in a creditable manner for three years. In 1864 our subject was elected a justice of the peace for Cogan House township, which office he filled until 1882. In 1891 he was again elected to the, same office, which he still retains. Mr. Wood has always taken great interest in. educational matters, and has filled the office of secretary to the school board of his township for fourteen years. In his religious faith he is a Methodist, and is a member of the Summit Methodist Episcopal church, of which he has been a trustee and steward for thirty years. Mr. Wood was married in January, 1857, to Esther D., daughter of Charles Straub, who died February 27, 1890. To this union were born thirteen children: Charles H.; Mary R.; Amelia, deceased; James A.; Emily H.; Robert E.; William O., deceased; Joseph B.; George L.; Annie M.; Sarah M.; Clarence E., and Olive W. Politically Mr. Wood is a life-long Democrat and a leading member of his party. He belongs to Salladasburg Lodge, No. 751, I. O. O. F., and also the, K. of P. He also belongs to the P. of H. and the K. of L., and is secretary of the White Pine Alliance, No. 138. Mr. Wood was one of the original stockholders and a director in the old Plank Road Company. He has retired from active life and resides upon a part of the original tract purchased by his father, and also owns a, fine farm of about 220 acres. He is known as one of the enterprising citizens of his. county, enjoying the confidence and respect of the citizens.
CHARLES H. WOOD, the eldest son of Robert and Esther (Straub) Wood, was born, April 10, 1858, on the homestead in Cogan House township. He was educated in the common schools, and after growing to manhood he engaged in farming on an extensive scale. He was married to Alice M., daughter of Anthony Baumgardner, of Cogan House township, and to this union have been born three children: Agnes M.; Carl E., and Lester O. He is a Democrat in his political proclivities and belongs, to Salladasburg Lodge, No. 751, I. O. O. F. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
AMBROSE WOOD, farmer, youngest son of James and Mary (Caldwell) Wood, was born December 20, 1852, in Cogan House township. He was educated in the com-mon schools and reared on the homestead farm. After growing to manhood he took charge of the home farm where he now resides, and has since followed farming in connection with lumbering. He was married in 1889 to Minnie, daughter of A. W. Baumgardner, who died December 31, 1891. Mr. Wood is a Democrat in politics, and belongs to Salladasburg Lodge, No. 751, I. O. O. F., and to White Pine Alliance, No. 138.
ROBERT CARSON, deceased, was born in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, in March 1787, of Scotch parentage. His family were among the early settlers of that county. Robert came to Lycoming county in 1828, and settled on Little Pine creek, where his grandson, Oliver Carson, now resides. He purchased what is known as the Benjamin Garrett tract. He was employed by the Garrett brothers in a saw mill which stood upon the farm of John Carson on Little Pine creek. He subsequently purchased 130 acres where George Carson now lives, on Little Pine creek, cleared the same, and lived thereon until his death, December 5, 1867. He married Elizabeth Welsh, who was born in October, 1785, and died June 6, 1849. To this union were born the following children: Andrew, deceased; John, deceased; George; Samuel, deceased; William, deceased; Jane, wife of Winfield Harris; Robert; James; Marjorie, wife of J. H. Callahan, and Richard. Mr. Carson was a Democrat in politics.
RICHARD CARSON, farmer, son of Robert and Elizabeth (Welsh) Carson, was born on Little Pine creek, in Cummings township, Lycoming county, November 29, 1829. He was reared on the farm and was educated in the common schools. He has devoted his business life to farming and lumbering, and took charge of his father’s farm when he had grown to manhood. Here he remained until 1883, when he purchased his present farm in Cogan House township, consisting of 131 acres, which he has cleared and put improvements upon. He was married February 28, 1858, to Sarah, daughter of William Knorr, who resided in Cummings township. To this union have been born nine children: Hamilton; Watson; Charles A.; McClellan, deceased; Hephziba; Alice I.; Agnes; Judson, and Sadie. Mr. Carson has filled the offices of township auditor, school director, and others of minor importance. In politics he is a Democrat, and has been a member and trustee of the Brookside Methodist Episcopal church for sixteen years.
COLEMAN L. WEIGEL, lumberman and farmer, was born July 7, 1840, son of Lewis and Mary (Sussaman) Weigel. The father was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, November 3, 1808. He was a weaver by trade, and when a young man he came to Lycoming county and was employed at his trade and various other occupations in South Williamsport and Blooming Grove. He subsequently removed to Cogan House township, and was employed by Isaiah Hays as sawyer in his saw mill, where he remained for thirteen years. He purchased a tract of land where his son Coleman L. now lives, and where he died in 1879. In his religious faith he was a Lutheran. He married Mary Sussaman, and to this union were born nine children: Elizabeth, wife of Daniel Edler; Mary J., wife of Abraham Bois; Melinda, wife of Amzie Coon; Coleman L.; Angeline, wife of Lewis Cougler; Regina, wife of Moses Coalbaugh; Rosella, deceased wife of Homer Martin; Louanna, deceased wife of Charles E. Hicks, and Jemima, wife of I. Harvey. Mr. Weigel was a Democrat in politics and served two terms as treasurer of Lycoming county. His widow resides in Williamsport. His son, Coleman L., was reared in Cogan House township and after reaching maturity he engaged in farming. In 1879 he rented his present saw mill in Cogan House township, and has since that time engaged in the manufacture of lumber in connection with farming. May 10, 1863, he married Annie E., daughter of John Harlan, of Pine township, and to this union have been born fifteen children: Edith L., wife of William Sands; Addie, wife of Thomas King; Ida, deceased; Alberta, now a resident of Cincinnati, Ohio; Theodore M.; Annie; Sadie; Estella, wife of D. W. Day; Rosie; Eddie, deceased; Henry; Homer; Anson; Zulla, deceased, and Robert M. Politically Mr. Weigel is an ardent Democrat, and is a member of White Pine Alliance, No. 138. In his religious belief he is a member of .the Methodist Episcopal church of Summit, of which he is trustee and steward.
CASMER WITTIG, deceased, was born in the town of Brideagen, Germany, December 13, 1807. He emigrated, to this country with his father and sisters in 1832, and settled near Shrewsberry, York county, Pennsylvania. He received a liberal education in his native land, and learned the trade of a cooper and the art of distilling. After coming to the United States, he was employed for a number of years as a distiller in York county. About the year, 1830 he located in Armstrong township, Lycoming county, where he found employment at stave-making. He was subsequently engaged as a farmer for a Mr. Low, near Rocktown. He afterwards removed to Cogan Station and was engaged in farming for a few years. He then rented the Buckhorn Tavern at Cogan House, and was its first landlord. This he conducted until 1853, when he purchased 150 acres of land at what is now known as White Pine, where his family now reside. There he engaged in the saw mill and lumber business and was one of the early operators of Cogan House township. He did an extensive business until 1879, when he retired and engaged in developing his farm of 200 acres. He died, January 22, 1891. He was a. Democrat in politics and took great interest in the advancement of his party, but would never accept office. He was the first postmaster in the township and hold the office for, twenty five years. His early religious connection was with the Lutheran church, but after becoming a resident of Lycoming county, he connected himself with the Second Presbyterian church of Williamsport, of which he was a life-long member. He was married in York county, Pennsylvania, to Sarah, daughter of Hugh, Hogue. To this union were born four children: Mary, who has been a teacher in the public schools of Williamsport for twenty-five years; Annie and Margaret, who reside upon the old homestead, and George. The mother died, September 15, 1885. George, Wittig, the only son of Casmer Wittig, was born in Armstrong township, June 10, 1845. He was educated in the common schools of the township, and has followed the usual duties of a farmer. He was also engaged in the lumber business with his father. Mr. Wittig resides upon the old homestead, and is one of the progressive farmers of Lycoming county. He is a Democrat in politics and is a member of the F. and A. M. and the Royal Arch Chapter, and the Hospitaler Commandery, No. 46, of Lock Haven. He is also a member of Salladasburg Lodge, I. O. O. F., and White Pine Lodge, K. of G. E., and White Pine Alliance.
DR. W. P. ENGLAND Was born, December 22, 1827, in Clearfield county, Pennsylvania, son of Job and Martha (Williams) England. His parents were both natives of Chester county, Pennsylvania, and became early settlers of Clearfield county. Our subject received his education in the common schools, and at the age of eighteen he began reading medicine with Dr. M. E. Woods, of Curwensville, Pennsylvania. He was graduated from the Western Reserve Medical College, at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1846, and from the Medical Department of the Western University of Cleveland, Ohio, in February, 1884. He commenced practice in the spring of 1846, at Greenville, Clarion county, where he remained for five years. He was then. ordained a Baptist minister and was placed in charge of the Franklin Union, church of Armstrong county, Pennsylvania, where he remained for three years. In 1861 he joined Company K, Seventy-Eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and saw service for three years, participating in the battles of Stone River, Lookout Mountain, and Missionary Ridge, and in the Atlanta campaign. At the close of the war he located in Crawford county, having charge of the Baptist church at Randolph. He also had charge of Pine Flat Baptist church in Indiana county, after which he was in, charge of the Baptist church at Jersey Mills for five years. He then located at White Pine, Cogan House township, where he resumed the practice of medicine. Dr. England was married, April 27, 1852, to Margaret, daughter of Abraham Hamler of Clarion county, and to this union have been born five children, four of whom are living: Martha; Orena; Myrtie, and William. The Doctor is a Democrat, and belongs to the I. O. O. F. and the White Pine Alliance.
DR. JAMES W. RITTER, son of Jacob and Hannah (Black) Ritter, was born, April 80, 1859, in Jackson township, Lycoming county. He was educated in the common schools and the Muncy Normal. In 1878, 1879, and 1880 he engaged in teaching in the township schools, after which he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. J. E. Bowers of Reading, Pennsylvania. He was graduated from the American Eclectic Medical College, of Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1884. In December, 1885, he settled at Ogdensburg, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he remained for about one year. In 1886 he located at Summit, where he has since remained in the active practice of his chosen profession. October 28, 1884, he was married to Mary J., daughter of Abraham Artley, of Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and to this union have been born three children: Walter L.; Stella M., and Bessie M. The Doctor is a Republican in politics and has served for two years as a member of the school board. He is a member of the K. of G. E., White Pine Castle, No. 306, and also of White Pine Alliance.
ABRAHAM MEYER was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and is a son of Martin and Anna W. Meyer. He was educated at the grammar schools of his native city, and graduated from the Central High School in 1850. After leaving school he began clerking in a whole sale importing house. In 1852 he came with his parents to Lycoming county, who settled in Loyalsock township, where his father engaged in lumbering and farming. In 1863 he was drafted, but was not accepted because of disability. At his earnest request, however, he was assigned to the United States, Signal Corps, in which capacity he served until the close of the war. He then located in Cogan House township, and followed the lumber business until 1870. Since that time he has been engaged as a prospecting engineer and geologist, and at present is employed in gathering the local geological collection for the World’s Fair. Mr. Meyer is a recognized authority on the geology of this section of Pennsylvania, and prepared for Mr. Meginness the geological matter that appears in this work. He married Mary Ann, daughter of Rev. Alexander Longsdorf, of Loyalsock township, and has eight children living, as follows: Martin A.; Edward H.; Russell A.; William F.; Margaret E.; Mamie R.; Charles R. H., and Hattie E. Mr. Meyer was a Republican until 1884, and has since been a Prohibitionist. He has been a, justice of the peace five years, also township auditor. He is a member of Reno Post, G. A. R., and the U. S. S. A. He is a trustee in the Methodist Episcopal church, and has been a class-leader for the past twenty-seven years.
GEORGE MILLER was the pioneer of the Miller family in Lycoming county. He, was born in York county, Pennsylvania, and removed with his family to Lycoming county in 1811, locating about one mile above Newberry. He remained there six years, and then located in Jackson township, where Daniel Miller now lives, purchasing 500 acres of timber land, where he cleared and improved a farm. He married Mary Grafius in 1794-95, and was the father of the following children: Catherine, who married Jacob Beck; Elizabeth, who married Daniel Beck; Susanna, who married John Weaver; John; George; Daniel; Jacob, and Henry. He was an old-line Whig in politics, and a Lutheran in religion.
JOHN MILLER, son of George and Mary Miller, was born in York county, and came with his parents to Lycoming county in 1811. At the age of twenty-one he. purchased a small farm and began clearing and improving it. He bought and sold several farms, and finally purchased the property on which Isaac Miller now lives, where he resided up to his death. He was a member of the Reformed Lutheran church, and in politics a Republican. Mr. Miller married Catherine Moyer, who. bore him seven children: John; Isaac; Catherine; Mary; Harriet; Perry, and Levi.
ISAAC MILLER, son of John and Catherine Miller, was born in Jackson township,. Lycoming county, December 6, 1832. Soon after reaching manhood he started in life for himself, working for various parties. He afterwards erected a saw mill on, Roaring branch, which he operated up to the spring of 1864. He then enlisted in Company I, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served until the close of the war. Returning to his home he continued in the lumber business, purchasing the interest of C. A. Miller in the saw mill in 1867. In 1872 he sold; the mill and purchased his present homestead. He married Catherine S. Miller, who has borne him five children: Ulysses E.; Sarah E.; Harry D.; Bertrand L., and Edwin A. He is a Republican in politics.
JOHN SECHRIST was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, in 1801, and came to Jackson township, Lycoming county, with his parents when quite young. They located where the old Sechrist saw mill stood, where his father operated a saw and grist mill for forty years. After reaching his majority he entered a tract of land, which he cleared and improved. On his father’s death he took charge of the business, and conducted the mill for ten years, then selling it to Henry Miller, he purchased a farm in Mifflin township, and after living there eight years, he died while on a visit to relatives. He married Catharine Manival, who bore him the following children: Jacob; John; Susan, who married Levi Kissinger; Peter, deceased; Henry; Samuel, deceased, and Harriet, who married John Eckart. Mr. Sechrist was an elder in the Lutheran church for many years. He was a Republican in politics, and filled the offices of supervisor and school director in Jackson township.
SAMUEL SECHRIST was born. in Tioga county, Pennsylvania, March 16, 1839, son of John and Catharine Sechrist. He lived with his father until 1863, when he married Eliza Ann Cohick and settled in a home of his own. Eight children were the fruits of this union: Edward; James; John L.; Nathan; Alice, who married George Kimball; Maude; Levi, and Samuel. He engaged in the lumber business after his marriage, supplying logs by contract, and though meeting with a great many reverses during the four years that he continued as a jobber, he finally made a financial success of his contracts. He then purchased the old homestead in Mifflin township, and resided upon it for six years. Selling his farm he purchased 125 acres of timber land in the Block House settlement, which he finally sold to the Williamsport Furniture Company. He improved about sixty acres, erected new buildings, and is now recognized as one of the leading farmers of his township. Politically he is a Republican, and has filled all the important offices in his township. He has been a member of the I. O. O. F. since he was twenty-one years old, and has always been liberal in his religious views.
LEVI MILLER, son of John and Catharine Miller, was born on the old homestead in Jackson township, Lycoming county, July 14, 1847. After his marriage he moved on Roaring Branch creek and assisted his brother Isaac, who was engaged in the lumber business. He finally purchased the greater part of the old homestead at the request of his father, but shortly after sold the same to his brother and erected his present beautiful residence. Mr. Miller married Sadie C. Anderson and has a family of four children: Ida, who married H. L. Brewer; Cora; May, and Della. For some years Mr. Miller has manufactured a large amount of maple sugar and syrup of the finest made, and has the most modern machinery for prosecuting the business. He has displayed commendable taste in beautifying his residence, and among its attractions are carp ponds, lawns, and shrubbery. Politically he does not strictly adhere to any party. He has served as justice of the peace, township clerk, and member of the school board. He is an attendant of the Lutheran church, and is one of the progressive business men of his native township.
MICHAEL RITTER was born near Selinsgrove, Northumberland county, (now Snyder,) in 1782. He learned the shoemaker’s trade, and followed that business in early manhood. He was married in 1819 to Catharine Sechrist, and in 1821 they removed to Muncy, remaining there on the farm of Henry Ritter which is now occupied by William Watson. In 1825 they went to Jackson township, Lycoming county, and settled on the farm now owned by Isaac Beck. Here he resided until his death. They were the parents of eight children, seven of whom grew to maturity: Emanuel; Samuel; Elias; Susan, who married Israel Forrer; Catharine, who married Jacob Forrer; Jacob, and John. Mr. Ritter was a member of the Lutheran church, and in politics a supporter of the Republican party.
JACOB RITTER, son of Michael and Catharine Ritter, was born upon the old homestead in Jackson township in 1832. He worked for his parents until reaching manhood, and then learned the stone mason’s trade, but subsequently followed the trade, of a millwright. He finally purchased a farm of Michael Sink, and after living upon it for six years, he sold it to his brother John, and purchased his present homestead from his brother Samuel. Mr. Ritter has been twice married. His first wife was Hannah Black, who bore him two children: James, and Susan, deceased. His second wife was, Mary, daughter of Daniel Miller, of which union two children have been born: Ella, and Minerva, wife of Frank Hilliard. Mr. Ritter is a member of the Lutheran church, and in his political opinions an adherent of the Republican party.
JOHN WEAVER was born in Union county, Pennsylvania, in 1790. He remained with his parents until his marriage to Susanna Miller, in 1814. She bore him a family of eight children: Mary, who married Elias Bower; Margaret, who married George Snyder; Catharine, who married Frederick Bower; Christiana, who married Samuel Yoder; Susanna, who was twice married, first to James Carl, and afterward to Peter Brion; George; Henry, and William. Mr. Weaver purchased the farm now owned by his son Henry, which at that time was an unbroken forest. He cleared and improved it, and resided thereon up to his death. He was a soldier in the war of 1812. Politically he was an old-line Whig, and filled most of the offices in his township. Liberal in his religious views, he was well known as a charitable and benevolent man.
HENRY WEAVER, son of John and Susanna Weaver, was born on the old homestead in Jackson township in 1832. He grew to manhood under the parental roof, and in 1859. he married Anna Manival. The following children were born of this union: Laura, wife of Charles Bastian; Harriet, who married Lawrence Mitstifer; Charles; Aaron; Sarah; Warren; Samuel; Minnie, deceased; Dora; Bertha; Edward; Martha; Grace, and Floyd. Since coming into possession of the homestead place Mr. Weaver has made many improvements, among them a good residence and out-buildings. When quite a young man he began lumbering, in connection with farming, which business he has followed up to the present. He is a Republican in politics, and liberal in his religious opinions.
MICHAEL WOLF, a native of Berks county, Pennsylvania, and son of a German emigrant who served in the Revolutionary war, settled in Lycoming county at an early date. He located at the mouth of Pine Creek, and the place is now known as Phelps’s Mills, Clinton county. There he purchased land, which he cleared and improved and lived upon until his death. He married Catherine Miller of Berks county, and to this union were born the following children: John, deceased; Henry M.; Jacob; George, deceased; Thomas; William; Catherine, wife of John Stout; Elizabeth, wife of John Haggerty; Susan, deceased wife of Thomas Bonnell, and Sarah, wife of Jacob Bonnell. Mr. Wolf was a Democrat, and belonged to the Lutheran church.
JOHN WOLF, son of Michael and Catherine (Miller) Wolf, was born at the mouth of Pine creek, Lycoming county. He learned the trade of a blacksmith, and afterwards settled in Brown township, near Slate Run, where he conducted his business for several years. He then settled at Waterville, where he carried on the blacksmith business until his death. He was twice married, his first wife being Nancy, daughter of George Bonnell, and to them were born the following children: George, B.; Benjamin; Michael, and Catherine., wife of Robert Herritt. His second wife, was Sally Herritt, and to this union were born four children: William; John; Ida,. and Ada. John Wolf filled several of the minor township offices and was a Democrat in politics.
GEORGE B. WOLF, the eldest son of John Wolf, was born at Slate Run in 1835. He was educated in the common schools and learned the blacksmith trade, which occupation he followed at various places for many years. He established a business at Slate Run, and also carried on the business in the Nippenose valley for twelve, years, after which he established his present business at Waterville, and has been quite successful. He married Sarah J., daughter of Benjamin Tombs, and to this union have been born four children: Willard E.; Julia A., wife of B. Gamble; Clara B., and Nellie R. Mr. Wolf is a Democrat in politics, and has held the office of supervisor. He enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Thirty-First Pennsylvania Volunteers, in 1863, and was discharged on account of disability after serving six months. In his religious views he is a Methodist, and belongs to the church at Waterville.
HENRY M. WOLF, the second son of Michael and Catherine (Miller) Wolf, was born in Berks county in 1814. He removed to Lycoming county with his parents, and remained upon the homestead until he grew to manhood. He was employed ‘for a number of years by various lumber companies, and subsequently took contracts for getting out lumber, in which he was quite successful, until 1840, when he leased what is now known as the Ross Mill. After operating this for six years he engaged in farming. In 1855 he located at Jersey Mills, and operated a mill until 1860. He then located at Waterville, where he bought 220 acres of land, and, clearing up 175 acres of the same, he engaged in farming. He has now retired and resides at Wellsboro, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. He married Mary, daughter of Andrew Gamble, who died in 1877, leaving the following children. George; Andrew, who was a member of Company G, Eighth Pennsylvania Cavalry and was killed at St. Mary’s Court House, Virginia; James M.; Michael; Oliver W.; John G.; Rev. Henry M.; Jane, deceased wife of William Tomb, and Alice, wife of Frank Harris. Mr. Wolf was again married, to Mrs. Ellen B. Sears, daughter of a Mr. Butler, one of the early families of Wellsboro, Pennsylvania., Henry M. is a Democrat and was county commissioner in 1863, and has also served as county auditor and as justice of the peace. He became a member of the Baptist church when a young man, and gave liberally towards the building of the churches at Jersey Mills and Jersey Shore.
JAMES M. WOLF, son of Henry M. and Mary (Gamble) Wolf, was born, October 2, 1840, on Pine creek, Lycoming county. He was educated in the common schools and a business college at Syracuse, New York. In 1862 he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Thirty-First Pennsylvania Volunteers, and saw service for nine months, being mustered out as first lieutenant, and having participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Second Bull Ran, Antietam, and Chancellorsville. In 1863 he again enlisted in the Forty-Seventh Pennsylvania Emergency Men, was commissioned first lieutenant of Company G, and was sent to the Minersville coal riot. He then settled at Waterville, where he engaged in the lumber business. In 1873 he formed the firm of J. M. & M. Wolf and built a mill at Waterville, where they conducted a store and manufactured lumber until 1889. They then sold the store to John G. Wolf and A. J. Bonnell, and he is now engaged with his brother Michael in the lumber business. He is a Democrat in politics and in 1886 was elected sheriff of Lycoming county. He also filled the office of justice of the peace of Cummings township for five years, and held other offices. He is a Baptist in his religious views. Mr. Wolf was married in 1872 to Amanda, daughter of Cyrus Ranck, who died in 1877. His second wife was Elsie, daughter of William Carson. He has two children, Fannie and James B. He is a member of Reno Post, and the K. of M.
JOHN G. WOLF, merchant, son of Henry M. and Mary (Gamble) Wolf, was born, February 1, 1849, in McHenry township, Lycoming county. He was educated in the common schools and remained upon the homestead until he was twenty-one years old. He then engaged in mercantile pursuits for three years, after which he served as deputy sheriff under his brother. After closing his, official career he again engaged in the mercantile business at Waterville, under the firm name of Wolf Brothers. Here he was appointed postmaster in 1865, and still holds that position. He has also filled the office of justice of the peace for fifteen years, has been secretary of the school board for many years, and has filled other township offices. In politics Mr. Wolf is a stanch Democrat. He was married in 1878 to Roberta, daughter of Robert Maffett, of Tomb’s Run, and to this union have been born five children Annie M.; Bessie; Wallace; Eleanor, and Charles. Mr. Wolf is a member of the Baptist church at Waterville, in which he fills the office of deacon.
JOHN ENGLISH, of English extraction, and a native of Massachusetts, a soldier of the Revolution, and aide-de-camp of George Washington, was one of the early settlers near Sunbury, Pennsylvania. He became an early settler of Lycoming county, locating on Bailey island, opposite Jersey Shore. This he cleared in partnership with his brother James. He subsequently settled in Cummings township on what 19 known as Buttonwood island, which he also cleared and lived upon for many years. He died in 1846 at the home of his son-in-law, Thomas Ramsey, in Cummings township, at the ripe old age of ninety-nine years. Mr. English saw the execution of Major Andre. He was married to Fanny Casper, and to this union were born the following children: Claudius; James; Thomas; Margaret, who married Abraham Hains; Polly, who married George Bonnell; Sarah, who married Thomas Ramsey, and Lizzie, who married Abbis Conner. Mr. English was a Methodist in his religious views and was a man highly respected by those who knew him.
JAMES ENGLISH, the eldest son of John English, was born on Buttonwood island, and after growing to manhood he settled three miles above Waterville, on Corn Broom island, which he purchased, and engaged in the cultivation of broom corn. He subsequently went to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and was one of the twelve original settlers of Block House, receiving fifty acres for making the settlement. There he lived for several years, returning thence to Lycoming county and settling on Little Pine creek, about three miles north of Waterville. There he took up 200 acres of government land, cleared a farm, and built a grist mill and two saw mills, which he operated for a number of years. Here he died in December, 1851. He was a Democrat in politics, and while he never held any public office, yet he always took a deep interest in public affairs. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, held the office of deacon in the same for many years, and gave toward the erection of the Jersey Shore Methodist Episcopal church the sum of $600. He also gave $50 to the construction of the Baptist church at Jersey Shore, and a like amount to the construction of the Presbyterian church of the same place. His liberality did not stop here, for he gave $200 to the Mount Zion Methodist Episcopal church, of Mifflin township, and furnished the greater part of the means to build the Methodist Episcopal church at Waterville. Mr. English married Annie, daughter of John Young, and to them were born the following children: Francis; Marjorie; Sarah; Elizabeth; Timothy; John; Stephen M.; Rice, and Ellis. Mrs. English died, June 17, 1874.
STEPHEN M. ENGLISH, fourth son of James and Annie (Young) English, was born on Corn Broom island, October 25, 1827. He received a limited education by his own efforts, and at the age of twenty-two he took charge of one, of his father’s mills, which he operated for some time. At the death of his father he assumed the entire charge of the former’s business until 1865, when he closed it out, and purchased 100 acres of the farm and homestead. Here he now resides, and after having closed up his father’s estate, Mr. English entered the employ as superintendent for Brown, England & Company, and Craig & Company, and contractor for Phelps, Dodge & Company. He is still employed by these companies at various times, and also continues to cultivate his farm. He was twice married, his first wife being Mary J., daughter of John English, of Tioga county, who died in 1857, leaving three children: Julia, wife of John Carson; Timothy L., and Sarah, wife of William Bennett. Mr. English’s second wife was Sarah, daughter of Warren Stowell, and to this union were born: Arthur, who is a clerk for the Pennsylvania railroad in New York City; Calvin S., also a clerk for the same company, and Warren J. Mr. English is a Democrat in politics and has held the office of township auditor for seventeen years. He was appointed postmaster at English Mills by President U. S. Grant, October 26, 1871, and has held that position ever since.
ABRAHAM HARRIS, a soldier of the Revolution, was of Scotch-Irish extraction, and came from Tioga, county, Pennsylvania, and settled a half-mile south of Jersey Mills, at the present location of George Harris’s residence. He subsequently removed to Waterville, and passed the remaining years of his life amid the quiet surroundings of that secluded village. He married Margaret, daughter of John English; they were the parents of the following children: John, deceased; Jacob, deceased; James, deceased; George; Abraham P.; William; Winfield; Eunice, deceased wife of Henry Sheasley; Fanny, deceased wife of Jacob English, and Sarah, wife of Benjamin Bendle. Mr. Harris was an old-line Whig, and an ardent admirer of Henry Clay. He served in various township offices, and officiated as justice of the peace for many years with creditable ability. He was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
JACOB HARRIS, fourth, son of Abraham and Margaret Harris, was born in 1820. He was reared on the homestead farm and educated in the local Schools. During his active life he was engaged in the lumber business, but in the latter part of his days he was engaged at various kinds of employment. He married Eliza, daughter of Joseph Bitters, a native of Reading, Pennsylvania; they were the parents of seven children: Reuben; Ellen, wife of Henry Bonnell; Frank R.; Maggie, who was twice married, first to, A. Harrison, and subsequently to Michael Wolf; William; Charles, and Augustus, deceased. His wife survived him, and is the wife, of Thomas Bonnell.
FRANK R. HARRIS, second son of Jacob and Eliza Harris, was born, March 29, 1849. He was educated in the common schools and worked at the lumber business and farming until thirty years of age, when he settled on his present farm of 250 acres. He has since devoted his attention to its cultivation, but has also, been engaged in the lumber business to a limited extent. He married Sarah Alice, daughter of Henry M. Wolf, and they are the parents of the following children: Walter; Amanda; Elsie; Mary; Ellen; Howard, and Addis. Mr. Harris has manifested a deep interest in the cause of education; he is a Democrat in politics and has served as supervisor and school director. The family is connected with the Baptist church.
THOMAS RAMSEY, a native of Bucks county, Pennsylvania, who served under George Washington as a wagon master, settled on Big Pine creek, Lycoming county, soon after the close of the Revolutionary war. His settlement was made on the farm where his grandson, Thomas Ramsey, now resides. There he bought 200 acres of land from a man by the name of Reese. He erected a saw mill and engaged in the manufacture of lumber for many years. He cleared all the land upon his tract on the flats, and resided there for some years. Subsequently he removed to Ohio, and settled on the Miami river, near the town of Tippecanoe, where he and his wife died. Mr. Ramsey was married in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, but the name of his wife is unknown by his descendants; they were the parents of the following children: Samuel; Allen; Robert, and William, who went to Ohio with their parents, and who have left many descendants in that State; John and Thomas, who remained upon the, homestead; Nancy, deceased, who married Jonathan Baker, and Mary, deceased, who married Andrew Berryhill.
THOMAS RAMSEY, son of Thomas Ramsey, was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, in 1772. He remained upon the homestead, which he purchased and where he lived until his death, July 4, 1847. He followed, farming and was engaged in lumbering and rafting for many years. He invented the first blade oar for steering rafts. He also operated saw mills with good success. He married Sarah, daughter of John English, who died in 1875; they were the parents of twelve children: Mary, who married Gideon Thomas; John; Fannie, deceased; Thomas; Elizabeth, who married Robert Brown; William, deceased; Fannie, deceased wife of Thomas Reighard; Allen, deceased; Ellen, deceased wife of Daniel Mulherron; Margaret, deceased; James, and Sarah J., wife of Simon Brown. Mr. Ramsey filled the office of justice of the peace, and others of minor importance. He was a Democrat in politics, and belonged to the Presbyterian church of Jersey Shore.
THOMAS RAMSEY, son of Thomas and Sarah (English) Ramsey, was born, April 30, 1821, on the homestead in Cummings township. He is of the third generation that has occupied this land, and is Thomas Ramsey, 3d. He received his education in the subscription schools, and was brought up at farming and lumbering. In 1849 he built a saw mill at the mouth of Ramsey's run, which he operated for thirty years, and which was destroyed by fire in 1880. In 1887 he erected a steam saw mill on Ramsey's run, which was also destroyed by fire, in October, 1891. Mr. Ramsey has carried on the lumber business in connection with farming during his entire business life. He married in 1845 Harriet, grand-daughter of John English, and to this union were born twelve children: Two who died in infancy, Jennie, wife of George Barnes; George; Asbury; Torrence; Tracy, Fannie, wife of George Forbes; Alice, wife of George Gulliver; Henry; Grant, and Ellen M. Mr. Ramsey has filled the offices of school director and auditor, and is a Democrat in his political proclivities.
GEORGE BONNELL, a native of southern New Jersey, came to Lycoming county in 1819. The first knowledge his only living son has of him was that he lived at Waterville, where he followed lumbering, and was a famous hunter and trapper of that day. He subsequently purchased 100 acres about three miles south of Slate Run, where he cleared a farm and carried on the lumber business, and there died about 1879, at the age of ninety-two. His wife was Polly, daughter of the pioneer, John English, and was the mother of the following children: John; William; George; James; Richard, Lizzie, who married John Clark, Mary, who married Stephen Ross; Nancy, who married John Wolf; Thomas, and Sallie, who married James English. All of these children are dead except Thomas and Mary. George Bonnell was a soldier of the war of 1812, was a Democrat in politics, and belonged to the Method 1st Episcopal church.
THOMAS BONNELL, youngest son of George Bonnell, was born in 1817 in Lycoming county. He received a limited education in the subscription schools, and was reared on his father's farm. In 1830 he and John Clark purchased 1,100 acres of timber land in Potter county, Pennsylvania, and he was engaged in the lumber business for seventeen years. He then came back to Cummings township, where he purchased his present farm of 100 acres. He also bought the hotel at Waterville, and was its landlord for many years. His first wife was Susan, daughter of Michael Wolf, by whom he had three children who grew to maturity: Henry; Michael, and Catherine, wife of William Wolf. His second wife was Frances Richards, by whom he had four children: George; Charles; Emma, and Maggie, deceased. He married for his third wife, Mrs. Eliza Harris, a daughter of James Bitters, one of the early settlers of Cummings township. Thomas Bonnell has been a life-long Democrat, and prominent in his party in his locality. He has filled many of the township offices, and is one of the leading and respected citizens of his township.
OLIVER CARSON, eldest son of Robert and. Eliza (Callahan) Carson, was born November 4, 1845, in Lycoming county. He was reared upon the homestead farm, where he now lives. He was employed in the lumber business for ten years after he had grown to manhood, after which he embarked in general farming, which he has followed as an occupation ever since. He married Delilah, daughter of C. Glover, of Clinton county, Pennsylvania; they were the parents of three children: Orrin; John, and Eliza. Mr. Carson is a Democrat in politics, and has filled several of the town-ship offices.
JOHN CARSON, farmer, son of Robert and Eliza (Callahan) Carson, and grandson of Robert Carson, the pioneer, was born December 6, 1847, in Cummings township, Lycoming county. His father was born in 1819, on Little Pine creek, and after he grew to manhood settled in Cummings township, where he was engaged in the saw mill business, and also at Waterville. Robert subsequently purchased the farm where his son Oliver Carson now lives, where he resided until he retired from business. He now resides in Jersey Shore. He was married to Elizabeth Callahan, who is now deceased, and was the mother of the following children: Oliver; John; Albert; James; George; Jeremiah; Esau; Miles, and Helen, deceased. Our subject, John Carson, received a common school education, and was reared upon the farm. After reaching his majority he embarked in the lumber business, which he continued until 1880. He then purchased a farm, and has since devoted his time to rural pursuits. He was married to Julia, daughter of Stephen M. English, of Cummings township, and they have one child, Maggie. In politics Mr. Carson is a stanch Democrat.
SAMUEL CAMPBELL, a native of the North of Ireland, settled in the Juniata valley at an early date. He subsequently located at Jersey Shore, where he purchased a tract of land. His son, John, settled on the Allegheny river near Warren; another son, Robert, a soldier of the Revolution, sod the land at Jersey Shore and bought a mill at Round Island, where he was engaged in the manufacture of lumber for many years. He married Rachael Morrison, and to this union were born the following children: Samuel; Michael; George; Abner; John; Jeremiah; Robert; Elizabeth, who married Thomas Lloyd; Priscilla, who married James English, and Margaret, who married Robert H. Wilyoume.
MICHAEL CAMPBELL, second son of Robert Campbell, was born, October 24, 1796. His educational advantages were exceedingly meager. After he grew to manhood he settled one mile north of Cammal, bought fifty acres of land and reduced it to cultivation. Here he lived until his death. He also engaged in the lumber business, and was interested in several saw mills in his locality. He was a millwright by trade; in his political proclivities he was associated with the Democratic party, and was connected with the local township organization in various official capacities. As his first wife he married Mary Hostrander, and their children were as follows: Michael; Hiram; Richard; Fanny; Harriet; Cornelia; Priscilla; Margaret; Sarah, and Mary. His second wife was Hannah Banvier, daughter of William Banvier, and their children were Enoch; William; Lafayette, and Truman
TRUMAN CAMPBELL was born on the 26th of March, 1849. He was educated in the common schools, and after attaining manhood engaged in lumbering and agricultural pursuits. In 1885 he entered the hotel business at Cammal; in connection with his hotel he cultivates 400 acres of land. In 1874 he married Virginia, daughter of George Hostrander, and they have one child, Martha E. He ie a Democrat in politics and has served as school director in his township. Mr. Campbell is a member of Cammal Lodge, No. 1001, I. O. O. F., and is a highly respected citizen.
ABNER CAMPBELL, the fourth son of Robert, was born in 1800, and was educated in a log cabin school house. He was for several years engaged with his brother George in operating a number of saw mills on Pine creek, and they were the owners of 1,200 acres of timber. He died in 1850. He married Elizabeth daughter of Andrew Gamble, who died, in 1842. To this union were, born the following children: Emily who; married John Connor; Hezekiah, Saloma, wife of E. Connor, Mary J. wife of John English; J. L.; Rachel, wife of Hiram Callahan; Almira, wife of George Carson;.Cordelia, deceased wife, of James Morning and Eunice wife, of J. H. Etryker. Mr. Campbell was married, a second time, to Rhoda Dugan, by whom he had four children: L. D.; William A., deceased, Zlizabeth, and Abbie, wife, of George Miller. Abner Campbell was a Democrat and was a member of the Baptist church. Jehiel L., his second son, was born August 18, 1929, on the, homestead farm, where, he now resides and has always, been engaged in farming and lumbering. He is a Democrat in politics and has filled some of the township offices. He was married in 1858 to Priscilla, daughter of Joel Hostrander, and to this union has been born one child, Artie M., who married Jacob Tombs. Mr. Campbell is a member of the Cammal Baptist church, and is one of the representative citizens of the community in which he resides.
MICHAEL BONNELL, merchant, son of Thomas and Susan (Wolf) Bonnell, was born, February 4, 1843, in Brown township, Lycoming county, and was reared in Potter county, Pennsylvania. There he received a common school education and was brought up at farm labor. He remained at home with his, father until 1861, when he enlisted in Company B, Eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served for three years, participating in the following battles: New Kent Court House, Bottom Bridge, Savage Station, Garnet's Farm, Haxall's Landing and Carter's Farm, Sugar Loaf Mountain, Frederick City, Middletown, Sharpsburg, Aldie and Upperville, Asbury Gap, Barber's Cross Roads, Williamsport Road, Shepherdstown, Bealton, Liberty Church, Beverly Ford, Todd's Tavern, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Ann River, and Beaver Dam. He was discharged in 1864 without a scratch even to show that he had seen service. Returning from the war, he resumed farming and also engaged in lumbering. After a while his father embarked in the hotel business and Michael was employed to manage the same for five years. He afterwards engaged in the lumber, business until 1870, when he located in Jersey Mills; there he embarked in the hotel business, which he followed for thirteen years. In 1871 he engaged in the in mercantile trade, and in 1883 he erected a store building at Waterville in Cummings township, and established the firm of E. Horn & Company, which has since carried on business. He also does a large lumber business and, owns a tract of 1,000 acres. Mr. Bonnell was married in 1870 to Rebecca, daughter of H. W. Campbell, and to this union has been born one child, Blanch. Mr. Bonnell is one of the leading Democrats of his township and always takes a deep interest in the party. He is one of the enterprising business, man of the county, and has the esteem and respect of his fellow-citizens. He served as postmaster for twenty years, being first appointed by, President Grant. He is a member of Reno Post, G. A. R. at Williamsport, and also belongs to Cammal Lodge, No. 1001, I. O. O. F.
TIMOTHY SPLAN, merchant, was a born April 16, 1836, at Rochester, New York. He is a son Cornelius and Bridget (Sullivan) Splan, natives of Ireland who settled in Rochester, and subsequently moved to Bradford county, Pennsylvania, where they died. There our subject was reared and educated in the common schools. In 1856 he came to Pine Creek and located at Cedar Run, where he found, employment with Buskirk & Kirby, with whom he remained for one year. He then commence jobbing for William Van Name & Company which he followed, for five years. He subsequently was employed by James Duffee & Company, of Trout Run, John Ives & Company and Wood & Childs, of Jersey Shore, and Wolf .& Brothers, of Waterville. In 1886 he located at Cammal, and established his present mercantile business. He was married in 1861 to Mary E., daughter of James Hostrander, and to this union was born one son, Daniel E., who is a telegraph operator for the Fall Brook railroad. Mr. Splan is an active and enthusiastic Democrat and filled! the office of. constable while he was living in Jersey Shore. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and belongs to the Baptist church, in which he is a trustee. In, 1863 he was a member of Capt. James Dove's company of Emergency Men. Mr. Splan is one of the leading citizens of his township, and is an enterprising business man, enjoying the respect of the people of his community.
RICHARD R. STRADLEY, son of Shadrack and Jane (Shaw) Stradley, was born in February, 1842. His father was a native of Delaware and settled near Wellsboro, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he remained for several years. He afterwards located at English Centre, Lycoming county, and subsequently rented a farm near Jersey Mills where he died in 1851. He was. three times married, his last wife being Jane Shaw, who died in 1864. To this union were born nine children: James M.; Robert, Shadrack, who was a member of Company B, Eighth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and died at Point Lookout, Maryland; Matthew, Elizabeth, deceased; Richard R.; Archibald, deceased; Rice H., deceased; and Celestia, deceased, who married Eli Campbell. Our subject received a common school education, and at the, age of fourteen-years he began working in saw mills and cutting timber. In 1862 he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Thirty-First Pennsylvania Volunteers, and saw service for nine months, participating in the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg; where, he was wounded in his right hand by a minie ball, and at Chancellorsville. Returning from the war he, in partnership with A. M and Rice Stradley, purchased a 400 acre tract of, timber land, and, engaged in the lumber business for ten years. After the death of his partners he purchased their interest and carried on the business. until 1885, when he engaged the employ of Cochran Richard & Company. He superintended: the buying of lumber for this firm for some time. In 1881 he located on his present farm at Jersey Mills, whore he has since lived, engaged in farming and lumbering. He was married, July 31, 1868, to Elizabeth J., daughter of John Coolidge, of Jersey Mills, and to this union have been born two children: John J. and James Luther. Mr. Stradley is a Republican in politics and has served as auditor of his township for fifteen, years, and has also been school director. He is a member of Reno Post,. G. A. R. and belongs to the Baptist church, in which he holds the office of clerk.
THE GAMBLE FAMILY. - After the close of the Revolutionary war, John Gamble, a native of Ireland, settled on what is now known as Gamble's run. He had a tract of 300 acres, situated where Henry Harris now lives. He cleared a farm and lived thereon until, his death. He had three sons and one daughter: Andrew; John; James, and Nancy, who married Amos Bennett.
ANDREW GAMBLE, the eldest son of John Gamble, was reared upon his father's farm, and at the death of the former he sold the land and located upon Pine creek, where Jacob and Henry Gamble now reside. He was the owner of about 300 acres and followed farming in connection with lumbering. He was a Democrat in politics and held some of the minor township offices. He is a member of the Cedar Run Baptist church. Mr. Gamble married Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Tomb, and to this union were born twelve children: John, deceased; Gibson, deceased; Jane, deceased wife of James Hostrander; Nancy, deceased wife of Chester Foster; Katie, deceased wife of Sol Sherdy; Mary, deceased wife of Henry Wolf; Sarah, wife of Henry Emick; Jacob; Isabella, deceased wife of Jacob Miller; William; Henry, and Rebecca, wife of James Gamble. Andrew Gamble died. in 1862, followed by his widow in 1865.
WILLIAM GAMBLE, the fourth son of Andrew Gamble, was born May 24, 1825. He was educated in the subscription schools and reared at farm labor. At the age of twenty-six years he took charge of the homestead farm, where he remained four years. He afterwards embarked in the lumber business with George Tomb for two years. After this he followed the lumber business at various places, and finally located in Sugar Bottom, where he purchased 100 acres, and followed farming and lumbering until 1865, when the flood destroyed all his buildings. He then returned to the homestead, purchased a saw mill, and engaged in the lumber business for three years with Hiram Helborn. He then entered the employ of Ramsdale & Duffy for eleven years, after which he bought his present farm of ninety-four acres, where he is now, engaged in farming and lumbering. Mr. Gamble married Ann, daughter of George Ryan, of Potter county, Pennsylvania; they are the parents of nine children: Elvina, wife of Jerry Ruppert; Irena, wife of Frank Woodhouse; Nathaniel; George; A.; William E., M. G.; Grant; Amos, and Gibson. Mr. Gamble has filled the offices of school director, collector, and treasurer, He is a Republican in politics and is a member of Cedar Run Baptist church, in which he has filled the offices of treasurer, clerk, and trustee, and is now deacon.
GORGE A. GAMBLE, the second son of William Gamble, was born April 15, 1859. He was educated in the common schools and at Ann Arbor Telegraph and Commercial College. During his early life he worked for various companies in the lumber business, and in, 1885 he embarked in, that business for himself. Later he was engaged for two years with C. Hewitt. He then. established his mercantile business at Cedar Run where, he was appointed postmaster in 1889. In politics he is a Republican, and belongs to Stony Fork Lodge No. 564, I. O. O. F.
GEORGE W. SMITH, hotel proprietor was born April 14, 1835, near the mouth of Pine creek, Lycoming county, son of William and Sarah (Stradley) Smith. His father died when he was young and his mother married J. W. Stewart. He was educated in the common schools, and at an early age began working for various farmers. He worked for James English for four years, and for James Gamble for four years. At the age of twenty-one he went to Brown township, where he was employed by Gibson Gamble, and other persons, until 1870. He then purchased fifty acres which, he cultivated for a number of years. In 1882 he settled at Cedar Run and purchased a farm and hotel, which he has conducted ever since. 1890 he erected his present hotel. He was married in 1868 to Isabel daughter of Jacob Herritt, of Brown township, and to this union have been born two children: Eliza J. and Jacob Henry, both deceased. Mr. Smith is, a Democrat in politics, and has filled the offices of supervisor and school director, having served as president of the school board. He is a member of Duncan Lodge, No. 968, of Antrim, Pennsylvania, and also of Green Mountain Castle, G. E.
JAMES ENGLISH, a native of Massachusetts, an aide of General Washington, and a soldier of the Revolutionary war, who was at the execution of Major Andre, settled at an early day on what is known as Silver island, in the Susquehanna river, below Sunbury, Pennsylvania. His brother John was with him and they subsequently located on Bailey island, opposite Jersey Shore, Lycoming county. James afterwards located at the mouth of Big Pine creek, on what is now known as the Shaw farm. This he afterwards sold and removed to a farm about one and one-half miles above Jersey Mills, where he died in 1821. He was one of the noted hunters and trappers of his time. He married Jane, a Scotch woman by descent, and to this union were born seven children, Polly; Jane; Esther; Betsy; Sarah, who married James Miller; James, and John; the first four daughters married, respectively, Daniel, Dennis, John, and William Callahan.
JOHN ENGLISH, Son Of John and Elizabeth (Miller) English, was born on Pine. creek, Lycoming county, about 1781. He was reared on /the farm and had no. educational advantages. After arriving at manhood he operated and farmed the. homestead for several years. In 1884 he removed to what is now known as English Centre, and bought 150 acres of timber land, a part of which is the present site of' that village, and is yet in the possession of his sons, John M. and Willerd. He married Elizabeth Miller, they were the parents of the following children: Mary, wife of George Thurston; Jacob, deceased; Jane, wife of John Bonnell; Ellis;. Elizabeth, wife of Jeremiah English; John M.; James M., deceased; Charles, deceased; Sarah, wife of John Ryan, Catherine, wife of Richard Boswell; Deliah, wife of D. Arrowsmith; Daniel; Lydia, wife of Stephen Scarborough, and William. Mr. English was one of the early members of the Methodist Episcopal church of English Centre, and was a Democrat, in politics.
JOHN M. ENGLISH, son of John English, was born April 1, 1819, on Big Pine, creek, Lycoming county. He was educated in the subscription schools, and after growing to manhood, he and four of his brothers purchased a tract of 1,400 acres, of timber land near English Centre. They built a saw mill and carried on the lumber business until 1860, when Jon M. and Willerd bought the old homestead and followed farming in connection with the bark business. In 1887 he engaged in a store, which he conducts in connection with his son, and also attends to his farm duties. He was married to Sarah J., daughter of William English, and to this union have been born twelve children, of whom the following are living: Elizabeth, wife of E. Grisworld; Richard; Daniel; Lawrence; Amanda, wife of J. M. Heath; Thomas R.; Oscar, and Margaret, wife of Charles Brown. Mr. English has filled the offices of justice of the peace and others, and is a Democrat in politics.
CHARLES W. ENGLISH, son of Jeremiah and Elizabeth English, and a grandson of William English, was born at English Center December 10, 1848. He was educated in the common schools, and at an early time in life began the lumber business, which he continued until 1863, when he enlisted in Company H, Two Hundred and Third Pennsylvania Volunteers, and saw service for one year, participating in the battles of Deep Bottom, Fort Fisher, and Wilmington, North Carolina. Returning from the war he engaged in the lumber business in Clearfield county, Pennsylvania under the firm name of O. B. Long & Company, continuing for six years. He then entered the employ of Peter Herdic, at Williamsport, and after one year's service he purchased an interest with Thomas Duffy in a shingle manufacturing establishment at Williamsport. This he sold in two years, and bought a farm at Bodines, Penn-sylvania. After farming for some time he built the first hotel at that station and conducted the same for four years, after which he purchased his present hotel at English Centre, which he now conducts. Mr. English was married to Mary, daughter of Robert Cochran, of Liberty, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. To this union were born two children: Jennie, deceased at the age of thirteen, and Sherman B. Mr. English is a Republican in politics, and belongs to Reno Post, G. A. R., and is one of the influential men of his community.
ABRAHAM BUBB was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, and is a son of Michael Bubb, a native of Germany, who immigrated with his brother to the United States at quite an early day. They separated in New York City, and Michael came to Jersey Shore, Lycoming county, and engaged in farming. His son Abraham was born in that village, and learned the tailor's trade, which he followed throughout his residence in this county. He served as alderman of Jersey Shore for many years, and was elected sheriff of the county in 1853. After his term expired he engaged in lumbering on Pine creek, whence he removed to Girard, Crawford county, Kansas, in 1867, and still resides in that place. He married Elizabeth Custard, also a native of Lycoming county, who bore him the following children: John R., of Williamsport; Annie, wife of Dr. Strauss, of Crawford county, Kansas; J. M. of the same county; Elizabeth, wife of W. A. Miller, of Williamsport; IL M., of St, Louis, Missouri; Allen M., of Girard, Kansas; Joseph E., of Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. Virginia Kincaid, of Girard, Kansas, and Rufus Reed, who was killed while serving as a Union soldier in Nashville, Tennessee in 1863. Mrs. Bubb died in February, 1889; both she and husband . were connected with the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics he is a stanch Democrat.
STEPHEN ROGERS, a farmer, lumberman, and justice of the peace, was born April 17, 1824, at Wilkesbarre, Pennsylvania, son of Joel and Mary (Jackson) Rogers. His early life was spent on his father's farm, in Huntington, Luzerne county, and his education was received in the common schools. In 1851 he purchased the saw mill of J. and J. Callahan, situated about fifty rods from where the iron bridge now crosses Little Pine creek, which was destroyed by the flood of 1889. He also bought at the same time 937 acres of timber land in partnership with George Worral. They settled upon the land and were engaged in the lumber business for a number of years. Mr. Rogers carried on the manufacturing of lumber until the flood heretofore mentioned, since which time he has been farming and getting out lumber and saw logs for the market. He has filled the offices of school director, auditor, and town clerk, and was elected a justice of the peace in 1890. He was originally a Whig, and afterwards a Republican. He was one of the Emergency Men, and in 1883 he joined Company K, Thirty-Seventh Pennsylvania Militia, with the rank of sergeant. Mr. Rogers was married in 1868 to Phoebe, daughter of John Carson, and to this union have been born three children: Lewis W.; John C., and Bertha M. In his religious views Mr. Rogers is a Baptist; he is one of the enterprising citizens and oldest living lumber operators of his township, and enjoys. the respect and confidence of those who know him.