Calhoun, west by the Rocky Mountains and north as now bounded which was then Blackbird county.
The first election was held in December, 1854, and all who had taken the oath came back to vote. Blackbird county, now the Omaha reserve, was joined with Burt in the election and were entitled to two members of the House of Representatives and one Councilman jointly. At this election B. R. Folsom was elected to the Council and Gen. Robertson and H. C. Purple to the House.
As no houses were yet put up the party were compelled to return to Iowa during the winter of 1854 and 1855. Contracts had been made with different parties to build a Town house and ten other buildings in Tekamah, but owing to the difficulty in getting material and annoyances from Indians, were not fulfilled.
About the middle of April, 1855, John R. Folsom, of New York, in company with Wm. N. Byers, F. W. Goodwill, Miles Hopkins, L. B. Wilder and N. R. Folsom arrived at Tekamah and commenced cutting, hewing and hauling timber for two houses. The timbers were sawed in two or divided with a whip-saw for the walls and floor, the roof being cotton-wood bark.
About the last of April. the same year, Dedrick Fees with his wife, the first white woman in Burt county, arrived at Tekamah, also F. E. Lange and W. B. Beck.
July, 1855, Rev. Wm. Bates and his son Edwin Bates arrived at Tekamah. July 18th, 1855, Geo. M. Peterson, T. Thompson, John Oak and Geo. Erickson, with their families, household goods and effects, twenty-four souls in all, arrived at Tekamah. They were the first settlers in Burt county who took claim's and entered upon them with their families and became permanent residents. The Peterson colony took claims north of Silver Creek moved onto them and commenced getting out building material, they had hardly began