Part 2: Political History
Part 3: County Roster | Seward County Schools
Death of a Pioneer
Seward: Incorporation | Societies | Religious
Part 4: Seward (cont.): Schools | Driving Park Association
Part 5: Seward: Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 6: Milford: Location and Natural Features
Early History | Churches
Societies | Biographical Sketches
Part 7: Utica: Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches:B Precinct | C Precinct
Part 8: Biographical Sketches: F Precinct | G Precinct
I Precinct | J Precinct
Part 9: Biographical Sketches: K Precinct | L Precinct
M Precinct | N Precinct | O Precinct | P Precinct
List of Illustrations in Seward County Chapter
CAS. R. LA MENA, wagon manufacturer of Seward, came to Nebraska in 1878, locating in Seward, where he opened a wagon shop, which he has continued to run ever since, having only a capital of $5 to start with. His trade has since increased, however, til he now does a large business and now owns one shop 20 x 40 and two stories high, and one 20 x 24 and one story high. The subject of this sketch was born in Grand Duchy of Baden, March 28, 1848, coming to the United States in 1854, with his parents, and locating with them at Philadelphia, where, when he became old enough, he entered the wholesale house of E. R. Taggert, importer of laces and fancy goods, as book-keeper, and between the years 1867 and 1869 made trips back to the old country, where he purchased largely for this firm. He removed to Chicago, Ill., in the same year that the great fire occurred there, and was employed by the firm of Field, Leiter & Co., having charge of the lace department, remaining there until 1873, and then went to Marengo, Ill., where he farmed and learned the trade of wagon making. Was here married, in December, 1877 to Miss Mary A. Smith.
WILLIAM LEESE, senior member of the firm of Leese & Lewis, attorneys at law at Seward, came to Nebraska in May, 1868, and first located in Otoe County, where he took up a homestead on Section 10, Palmyra Precinct, remaining on his claim until 1870, at that time going to Iowa, but after staying there a short time he returned to Nebraska and located in Lincoln, where he lived until 1872, when he moved to Seward, and finished his law studies and was admitted to the bar before Judge Lake, of Seward, in 1874, and has since practiced his profession at that place. The subject of this sketch was born in Athens County, Tenn., April 30, 1840, and was married in Otoe County, Neb., in 1869, to Miss Miranda L. Wilson, daughter of Jefferson and Minerva Wilson, who settled in Nebraska in 1862. Mr. L. enlisted in the great rebellion in 1861, at Cincinnati, Ohio, in the Second United States Horse Artillery, and served until the close of the war, and was in all of the engagements on the Potomac. After coming from the war, he went to Parkersburg, W. Va., and ran a ferry from that place to Belpre. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., being a charter member of Oliver Lodge, No. 38. Mr. L., of this firm, is a graduate of the Ann Arbor Law School, in 1873, and came to Nebraska in the same year and opened his first office at Seward, where he has since practiced.
JOHN S. LEONHARDT, physician and surgeon at Seward, was born in Missouri on the 4th of October, 1854. His parents moved to Iowa when he was but a small child and settled at Keokuk, where the subject of this sketch received a common school education, and in 1875 entered the Medical College at that place and was a graduate in the class of 1879. He then immediately started west for Nebraska, settling in Seward, where he has since practiced his profession. He is a member of the Seward County Medical Society. and now holds the Chair in the Seward Preparatory School of Medicine.
SAMUEL P. LINDLEY, dealer in farm machinery at Seward, came to Nebraska in the winter of 1872, first locating in Lincoln, where he started in the machine business, and in the spring of 1873, started a branch house at Seward, and was the first firm to operate in that line in the place. In 1876, he moved to Seward, and has since made that his home, and does an annual business of $18,000, most of the machinery being used in his county. He is a member of the Baptist Church here, and has been Clerk of that society for five years. Mr. Lindley was born in Ohio January 18, 1840, and was married in Mason County, Ill, in 1860, to Miss Annie Dobson.
GEORGE W. LOWLEY, County Judge and lawyer, at Seward, came to Nebraska in the spring of 1870, and took up a homestead in Seward County, on Section 12, Town 11 Range 4 east, H Precinct, and then went to Lincoln, where he opened a law office in connection with Judge Jennings. Here he remained until 1871, when he returned to Seward County, and from 1874 to 1879 practiced his profession as a partner of William Leese, and subsequently by himself. In the fall of 1881, he was elected County Judge, and fills that office in an able and efficient manner. The subject of this sketch was born in the town of Leeds, Yorkshire, England, on the 8th of March, 1842, and when three years of age his parents crossed the ocean to the United States, first settling in Boston, Mass., and afterward living in different New England States until they finally settled down in Tipton County, Ind., where his father is now Postmaster. He enlisted in the Eleventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company F, of the great rebellion in 1861, and served until 1862, when he was wounded at the battle of Fort Donelson, which disabled him for further service.
SANFORD H. MARSHALL, proprietor of the Commercial Hotel at Seward, was born in Williston, Chittenden Co., Vt. on the 3d of February, 1837, being the son of Lewis and Maria Marshall, nee Sanford, who were both natives of that State. The subject of this sketch remained on the homestead until 1861, when he enlisted in the rebellion in the First Vermont Volunteer Cavalry, Company L. and served three years, three months and fifteen days, taking an active part in all the engagements of his regiment, and during this time he was wounded at the battle of Gettysburg in the left thigh, but managed to take two rebel prisoners after he was hurt. He was also wounded in the groin at the battle of Brandy Station, in October, 1863, being at that time taken prisoner, but soon afterward escaped and got safely back into the Union lines. He parents died during the war and in 1866, Mr. Marshall came west to Iowa, and in company with his brother A. D., bought a large stock farm containing 300 acres. This they operated until 1870, when he sold out his interest in the farm and moved to the town of Washington, and started in the livery business. This he ran until 1875, and in the spring of 1876 came to Seward, Neb., where he again started a livery stable, which he operated until November, 1881, at which time he began his present hotel business, his house being nicely furnished and containing twenty-one rooms for the use of the traveling public. Mr. Marshall was married in 1858, in Vermont, to Miss Rebecca Johnson, and has one daughter, Florence. He is a charter member of Seward Post., No. 6, of the G. A. R.; also of the Oliver Lodge, No. 38, A., F. & A. M. He joined the Masons in Washington, D. C., Centennial Lodge, No. 14; is a member of the Seward Chapter, and also of the I. O. O. F., Seward Lodge, No. 26, and a charter member of Seward Encampment, NO. 7.
EDMUND McINTYRE, President of the State Board of Agriculture and senior member of the firm of McIntyre & Seeley, loan and real estate brokers, was born at Strafford, Orange Co., Vt, on the 9th of May, 1840. He came to Nebraska in 1870, locating in Saline County, and pre-empted the land where the present town of Dorchester now stands, settling down to the life of a farmer. He seems to have been destined for more active work, however, for coming in contact with the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad Land Department, he was at once employed by them to examine and grade their lands, being afterward given their agency in Seward and the adjoining counties. Mr. McIntyre is now the proprietor of two fine farms, well improved and nicely stocked, and may be called a successful man in every sense of the word, having been twice elected Mayor of the city of Seward, the people thereby manifesting their faith in his integrity. At the annual meeting of the State Board of Agriculture in January, 1882, he was elected President of the same, having been a member ever since 1873. He was married, January 12, 1870, to Miss Lucia A. Hatch, daughter of the late Royal Hatch, Esq., of Strafford, Vt.
DANIEL C. McKILLIP, attorney at law, is the pioneer lawyer of Seward, Seward County, coming to Nebraska April 9, 1868, and on the 23d of May following located at Milford and commenced the practice of law, his being the first law office opened in the county. His outfit consisted of the Statutes, a Notary seal, a few blanks, etc. Here he remained until October, 1872, when he removed to Seward, a the time of the removal of the county seat. He served as Deputy County Treasurer at Milford, under C. J. Neihardt and E. L. Clarke, the former being the first Treasurer in the county. Mr. McK, served one term as Assessor at Milford, and in 1873 and 1875 representing Seward County in the Assembly, being in the latter term Chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means in the House. He has also served as County Attorney for eight years. He was born in Carter County, Tenn., October 14, 1841, moving with his parents to Jackson County, Iowa, when only an infant, and was living there at the breaking-out of the rebellion. He enlisted in 1861, in the First Iowa Cavalry, Company L, and served three years, after which he returned to Iowa, living there until he removed to Nebraska. He was married in Milford, Neb. in 1877, to Miss Ellen M. Darling, of Wisconsin. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Seward Lodge, and of the Blue River Encampment, No. 7.
[Portrait of Lewis Moffitt.]
LEWIS MOFFITT, farmer and real estate dealer at Seward, was born in Randolph County, Ind., December 1, 1834. Here he received a common school education, and first came West to Iowa in 1854, settling in Jasper County, where he followed farming until the spring of 1865, at which time he came to Nebraska and took up a homestead on Section 31, Town 12, Range 2 east in C Precinct. In June of the same year, he entered the land where the present city of Seward now stands, and was the original proprietor of the town, making his home here ever since. When Mr. Moffitt first came to Nebraska he had to go for supplies either to Nebraska City or Plattsmouth, being a distance of eighty miles, and the nearest blacksmith shop was twenty-five miles away, at Lincoln. He has never held any political office but has always been identified with public interests in settling up the town or county. At the completion of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad at Seward, Mr. M. in company with H. Harris, were the donors of the depot grounds and various other lands. He was married in Indiana in 1854, to Miss Mary A. Thomas, who was a native of Ohio, and by whom he had one son Jothan L., who died May 28, 1874. The subject of the sketch was the second Postmaster of the county.
HENRY C. PAGE, attorney at law at Seward, came to Nebraska in 1871, and for ten years was associated with Daniel C. McKillip in the law business, they being the pioneer lawyers of Seward County. The subject of this sketch was born in New Brunswick, N. J., on the 19th of June, 1835, and read law in the office of Gen. L. W. Thayer, at Warsaw, N. Y. being admitted to the bar in Buffalo, N. Y. in 1857, after which he became a partner with the General in his law office. In 1861, he enlisted at Buffalo in the Twenty-fourth New York Light Artillery, serving three years, of which he was seven months a prisoner in the Andersonville Prison. Returning from the war, he taught school and practiced his profession until 1871, which was the time of his removal to Nebraska. He is a member of the A., F. &. A. M., being a charter member of Oliver Lodge, No. 38. He is about to remove to Dakota.
OTERO C. REYNOLDS, physician and surgeon, at Seward, was born at Springfield, ILL., on the 4th of August, 1857. He began his education in the public schools of that place and entered the Medical College at Louisville, Ky., in 1876, graduating in the class of 1878, afterward practicing his profession at Springfield. He was married at Iliopolis, Ill., in 1878, to Nannie C. Barkley. In 1880, he came to Seward, Neb. He is a member of the Tri-State Medical Society, which includes Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky, and is now United States Examining Surgeon at Seward. He is President of the Seward School of Medicine and Surgery, and is a member of the Seward County Medical Society. Dr. Reynolds belongs to the Masonic order, Kedron Lodge No. 340, at Mount Auburn, Ill, and is one of the original members of the Seward Board of Trade.
JOHN ROBERTS, farmer, Section 17, G Precinct, was born in Henry County, Ky., on the 29th of November, 1813, being the son of John and Catherine Roberts, who were formerly from South Carolina. Owing to their pecuniary circumstances, his parents were unable to give him but a very limited education, and when he reached manhood he commenced farming, which pursuit he followed in his native State until 1835, when he removed with his parents to Illinois, locating in Fulton County, and was among the early settlers of that county. He commenced farming and May 15, 1836, was married to Miss Susan Hall, who was born in Franklin County, Ill., April 30, 1818, and is a daughter of John and Prudence Hall, who were among the very early settlers of that county, being originally from Georgia. The subject of this sketch made his home in Illinois, until the spring of 1866, when he came West to Nebraska and took up a homestead on Section 20, Town 11, Range 3 east, G Precinct, which now forms what is known as the Roberts & Harris Addition to the city of Seward, they being proprietors of the same. Mr. R voted at the first election in the county, which was held in the fall of 1866, at the town of Seward, and consisted of fourteen votes. In 1868, during the month of June, he erected the first building in the town of Seward, which was a store, and occupied by Beatty & Davis. He acted as Assessor in 1867, being appointed by the Commissioners, his territory consisting of half the county. In those early times he had to go to Nebraska City for all family supplies, and paid $80 per 1,000 for flooring to put in his building, which he hauled by ox team from Nebraska City, taking a week to make the trip.
THOMAS E. SANDERS, attorney at law and loan and real estate agent at Seward, came to Nebraska in May, 1871, locating at Seward, where he commenced clerking in a general merchandise store for Herman Diers, at which he continued for two years, and went to clerking for Tishue. In 1875, he became assistant book-keeper in a bank, and in 1876, was appointed cashier, retaining that position until the fall of 1879, when the owner, Claudius Jones, sold out. In the fall of the same year, Mr. Sanders started his present business, and is now the City Treasurer of Seward, and a member of the A., F.& A. M., Oliver Lodge, No. 38. He was born in Surrey, England, twenty miles south of Londo, December 18, 1850.
ISAAC B. SORTER, retired lumber merchant, was born in Seneca County, N. Y., February 4, 1816, and is the son of Elijah and Margaret Sorter, who were both born in New Jersey and of New Holland ancestry. In 1831, he moved with his parents to Ohio, and settled near Cleveland, in Cuyahoga County, where they became farmers, and at the age of eighteen years, the subject of this sketch commenced to learn the molder's trade in the blast furnace at Akron, Ohio, following this occupation for several years in various places, and in 1838 returned to Cuyahoga County, where he started farming for himself, and was then married to Miss Jane E. Wilson, who was also a native of New York; farmed in Ohio until 1865, at that time removing West to Johnson County, Iowa, where he still continued his former calling until 1871, which was the time of his removal to Nebraska; located at Seward, where he opened a lumber and coal yard, which he operated until 1881, when he sold out, and has since given his attention to his real estate, which consists of some five hundred acres of farm land and city property at Seward. The subject of this sketch served one term as Mayor of Seward, and several terms as member of the Common Council; is a member of the A., F. & A. M., being a charter member of Oliver Lodge, No. 38, at Seward; was also Worthy Chief of the first T. of H. established in Seward, and also Past Worthy Chief of the State of Nebraska. Mr. Sorter now lives in a little grove planted by his own hand to break the fierce northwestern gale --
Patiently waiting for the worn-out frame, threadbare today,
ST. CLAIR & ANDERSON, attorneys at law, Seward. Robert St. Clair, of the above firm, was born in Indiana County, Penn., July 22, 1836; is the son of Hugh and Margaret St. Clair, who were of the old Scotch-Irish descent, his mother's maiden name was Mack. After receiving a common school education, the subject of this sketch attended the Jacksonville Academy; then entered the Westminster College, of Lawrence County, same State, in 1860, where he was a graduate in the class of 1862. After coming West, he began reading law in the office of Hon. Messrs. Shane & McCortney, at Vinton, Iowa, and was admitted to the bar in October, 1868, since which time he has been devoted to his profession. In April, 1880, he moved to Seward, Neb., where he is a member of Oliver Lodge, No. 38 of the A., F. & A. M.; is also a member of K. of H., and of the A. O. U. W. of Iowa. He was married March 5, 1863 to Miss Margaret M. Alcorn, of Pennsylvania. Ross P. Anderson, junior member of the above firm, came to Nebraska in November, 1879, locating at Seward, where he was a teacher in the District Schools; was admitted to the bar, at Seward, in the December term of the Fourth Judicial District, before Hon. G. W. Post, and has since practiced his profession, becoming a member of the above firm in May, 1881. The subject of this sketch was a graduate of the Simpson Centenary College, of Iowa, and was first admitted to the bar, in that State, at Indianola.
JOHN C. THOMAS, of the firm of Thomas & Gereke, druggists, successors to Dr. Walker, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1868, and took up a homestead on Section 18, Town 11 Range 4 east, and in the spring of the following year moved out his family, and was one of the first settlers of H Precinct. Here he resided until 1875, improving his land, when he moved into the town of Seward and ran a billiard hall in company with his brother Jacob, following this business until November, 1881, when he became partner in the present firm of Thomas & Gereke. He served as Justice of the Peace in H Precinct for a number of years, and is a member of the I. O. O. F. Seward Lodge, No. --. He was born in Prussia, April 27, 1844, and came with his parents to the United States in 1858, settling in Illinois. Here the subject of this sketch enlisted in the late war, at Springfield, in Company D, Thirtieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving until September, 1866, and was married the same year at Warsaw, Ill, to Miss Catherine Luft.
GEORGE H. UNDERHILL, proprietor of the Grand Central Hotel at Seward, came to Nebraska in 1875, and bought a farm on Section 4, Town 10, Range 2 east, L, Precinct, Seward County, and here resided improving his farm until the fall of 1879, when he removed to Utica and opened a general merchandise store. This he operated till April, 1880, when he started a restaurant where the Farmers Home Hotel now is. The subject of this sketch was born in Oneida County, N. Y., on December 22, 1832. Leaving his native State in 1856, he went to Canada, remaining there until 1862. Leaving his native State in 1856, he went to Canada, remaining there until 1862, at which time he came back to the States and settled in Warren County, Ill., having previously been married in Canada, February 28, 1856, to Miss Elizabeth Hodgson. Mr. Underhill was one of the original members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in L Precinct, Seward County.
CAPT. CHARLES E. VAN PELT, Postmaster at Seward, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1868, locating in Lincoln, and in the fall of 1869 took up a homestead in Lancaster County, one mile east of the State University at Lincoln. After living there for two years, he bought off the rest of his time, and moved into the city, and in 1879 moved to Seward, being there appointed Postmaster in May, 1881. The subject of this sketch was born in Highland County, Ohio, June 28, 1844 and is the son of Mahlon and Elizabeth Van Pelt. His mother's maiden name was Arthur. Mr. Van Pelt enlisted in 1861, at Hillsboro, Ohio, and served in the first three months' call, and the same year enlisted in the Sixtieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, being taken prisoner in September, 1862, at Harper's Ferry; was soon afterward paroled and was finally discharged in Chicago, in 1862, having been sent to the southwestern army. He then went to Paducah, Ky., where he was commissioned a Captain of Company F, Forty-eighth Mounted Infantry, by Gov. Robertson, and was afterward transferred to the Seventeenth Kentucky Regiment and passed the Board of Military Examination at Louisville, being discharged in November, 1866. He was married in 1864 at Princeton, Ky., to Miss Ada Henry, daughter of Maj. C. B. Henry, Cashier of the Southern Bank of Princeton.
[Portrait of L. Walker, M. D.]
DR. LELAND WALKER, physician and surgeon, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1867, and took up a homestead on Section 14, Town 11, Range 3 east, G Precinct. He then immediately started for Nebraska City to purchase lumber to build a house on his land, and it was one of the first frame buildings in the north part of the county. In the May following the completion of his residence, a tornado passed across the country from north to south, and completely demolished his house, and although himself and wife and four children were in it at the time, yet fortunately none of them were killed, although they were considerably bruised. He then gathered up the pieces and put them together, and in this they managed to live until the following June, when the town of Seward was laid out and the Doctor purchased a lot and moved the building from his claim onto it, it being where the present opera hall now stands. He then started a drug store and was ably assisted by his wife as clerk, and this he continued to run until October, 1881, and since that time has only practiced his profession. He owns two highly improved farms, and has recently completed the opera house, having nicely finished a salesroom below and a fine hall with 600 sittings above. The Doctor is a native of Vermont, having been born in Windsor County, August 12, 1826, and was married in Belleville, Ohio, September 14, 1853, to Miss Essie T. Cooper, by Rev. John M. Cleaver, their family consisting of four children--Homer A., Ida E., Warren N. and Elmer T. He is a member of the Homeopathic State Medical Association, being President of Seward County Medical Society. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Oliver Lodge, No. 38, and of the I. O. O. F, and a charter member of the Seward Lodge, No. 26.
WILLIAM H. WALKER, of the firm af William H. Walker & Co., lumber dealers, Seward, came to Nebraska in January, 1871, and took up a homestead on Section 2, Town 10, Range 1 east, L Precinct, Seward County. Here he resided until the fall of 1877, when he became book-keeper for T. W. Boles, lumber merchant at Seward, continuing at such until November, 1879, at which time he became a member of the firm mentioned at the head of this sketch, the other partner being S. K. Martin, of Chicago, one of the largest lumber dealers in that city. In August, 1880, established a branch yard at Ulysses, Butler County, which is now being operated by S. C. Oaks, and they now do as large a business in this line as any firm in the county. Mr. W. served one year as Assessor of L Precinct. He is a member of Oliver Lodge No. 38, of the A., F. & A. M., being also a member of the chapter of the same society. He was born in Shelby County, Ind., March 2, 1844, his parents moving to the adjoining State of Illinois when he was but an infant, where he remained until he came to Nebraska, and there he enlisted in 1861, in the late rebellion, at Peoria, in the Eleventh Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, under Col. Bob Ingersoll, but was soon afterward discharged on account of poor health, which unfitted him for service. In 1864, he re-enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Thirty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving for about six months, after which he returned home to Illinois, and was married there in 1866, to Miss Mary C. Simms, of Lewiston, Ill.
WALTER O. WHITCOMB, Mayor of the City of Seward, and proprietor of a livery and sale stable there, came to Seward in the fall of 1870, and took charge of the public school, teaching the first school held in the town. In the spring following, became Superintendent of the farm of S. D. Paddock, which he ran one season, and then engaged as clerk in the general merchandise store of Joel Tishue, where he continued till the spring of 1873, when he returned to Rochester, N. Y., his former home, and was married to Miss Caroline M. Paddock, and in June of the same year returned to Seward and took charge of a branch boot and shoe store for A. H. Waite, of Lincoln. Continued in this business until the fall of the same year, when he moved to Friend Station, in Saline County, and started in the grain business, erecting the first building there aside from the depot; returned to Seward County, and followed farming until the spring of 1877, when he moved into the town of Seward and established his present business, keeping on hand sixty-five head of horses; was elected Mayor of Seward in April, 1881, and holds that position at this writing; was born in Wyoming County, Penn., on March 28, 1853.
OLIVER T. B. WILLIAMS, lawyer at Seward, was born in New York County, N. Y., on August 30, 1832. His parents moved West to Michigan when he was five years old, and settled in Wayne County, where his father engaged in agricultural pursuits. Here the subject of this sketch received his literary education in the public schools of that State, and in 1852 entered the Ann Arbor Law School, where he graduated in the class of 1856; was admitted to practice in the Supreme Courts of Michigan, where he continued the practice of law until 1864, when he came West to Columbus, Neb, and was one of the very first lawyers in Platte County. In June, 1866, he was elected Senatorial Representative from that district, and in 1868, went to Wyoming Territory and published a paper at Cheyenne, known as the Rocky Mountain Star, both weekly and daily. After editing this until 1869, he returned to Nebraska and settled at Lincoln, where he opened a law office, removing from there to Seward in January, 1870. He was appointed by the County Commissioners to fill the vacancy of Henry Wortendyke, County Judge, in 1874, and in 1875 was elected to that office, which he held until January 1, 1882, when he resumed the practice of law. He is a member of the Masonic order, Oliver Lodge, No. 38, being a charter member of the same.
HON. THOMAS WOLFE, editor and proprietor of the Reporter, at Seward, and President of the Butler County Bank , at David City, came to Nebraska in 1864, and settled in Omaha, where he worked at the printer's trade; was born in Germany, near the Rhine, May 19, 1846, coming to the United States with his parents when but a small child. In 1874, he went to Seward, Neb., and published a weekly newspaper called the Reporter. He has been in the printing and publishing business over twenty years, commencing as "devil" in the Central office at Warsaw, Wis. He represented Seward County in the Legislature in 1877.
DR. JAMES H. WOODWARD came to Nebraska in July, 1871, and settled at Milford, Seward County, and was one of the first physicians in the county. Here he resided until the removal of the county seat to Seward, in 1873, when he moved to Seward, where he has continued the practice of medicine ever since. The Doctor was born in Monroe County, Ind, January 5, 1835, and was married in his native State in 1861, to Miss Emma Glifford. He is a graduate of the Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, in the class of 1866, having previously graduated at St. Louis. During the winters of 1875-76-77, he delivered several lectures before the Medical College, in St. Louis Mo., and has also delivered several lectures before the Seward School of Medicine and Surgery, being now Treasurer of the same institution; is a member of the E. M. Society of the State of Nebraska, and is ex-president of that body, also a member of the E. M. National Association. He is also a member of the K. of H., and is now Examining Surgeon for that order at Seward.
JOHN ZIMMERER, of the firm of Bishof & Zimmerer Bros., dealers in hardware, wagons and farm machinery, came to Nebraska in 1868 and settled in Nebraska City, where he remained five years, engaged in the hardware business, and in 1873 moved to Seward and started the first special hardware store in the county. Their building is 20 x 120, two stories, and they use the second floor for manufacturing purposes, making their own tinware and keeping two men at that work all the time, besides keeping a clerk. The subject of this sketch was born in Germany, January 26, 1854, coming to the United States in 1868, settling in Nebraska in the same year. He was married in 1881 to Miss Philomena Sand. In 1873, this firm, with a capital stock of $4,000, did a business of $18,000 and have gradually increased until 1881, they reached a business of $35,000 with a stock of $8,000.