Part 2: Political History
Part 3: County Roster | Seward County Schools
Death of a Pioneer
Seward: Incorporation | Societies | Religious
Part 4: Seward (cont.): Schools | Driving Park Association
Part 5: Seward: Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 6: Milford: Location and Natural Features
Early History | Churches
Societies | Biographical Sketches
Part 7: Utica: Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches:B Precinct | C Precinct
Part 8: Biographical Sketches: F Precinct | G Precinct
I Precinct | J Precinct
Part 9: Biographical Sketches: K Precinct | L Precinct
M Precinct | N Precinct | O Precinct | P Precinct
List of Illustrations in Seward County Chapter
Utica, situated in the western part of the county, was laid out and entered as a town in the month of August, 1877.
Messrs. Standard & Jones erected the first building during the month of August, 1877, and opened the first store with a stock of general merchandise.
George Goodbroad built the second building during the same month, and opened the first hotel. Fritz Becord erected the third building, the office of his lumber-yard, and inaugurated the second business of the town. The following September, Messrs. Goener & Wilkins opened the next business house during the same month, and, the following October, C. C. Turner established his blacksmith shop. The town has enjoyed a rapid and permanent growth, and its complement of commercial pursuits includes every branch of business. It is an important station on the Burlington & Missouri Railroad, equidistant between Seward and York, and quite an important point for shipments in stock and grain. It is supplied with a good school and several church organizations, and the various professions are well represented. The first school was organized in the summer of 1873, and taught by Miss Clara Derby, and Miss Rosa Hartley taught the first school after the town was inaugurated.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized by Rev. A. J. Folden, in the spring of 1872, at the Kinkade Schoolhouse, the society changing their place of worship to Utica in 1878, and re-organizing under the leadership of Rev. G. M. Couffer, of Milford. The church was built in 1881, at a cost of $1,500; the parsonage, in 1878.
The Protestant Methodist society was organized in the spring of 1874, by the Rev. C. E. Phinney.
An organization of the church of the United Brethren was effected at the Oliver Schoolhouse in 1873, by Rev. Mr. Johnson. The last-named societies have no house of worship, but meet at the schoolhouses.
A Catholic mission is also established at Utica, with the Rev. C. J. Quinn as resident pastor, and a fine frame church is in process of erection.
The A., F. & A. M. of Utica, organized under dispensation July 13, 1882, with the following list of officers: Joseph Jones, W. M.; E. J. Porter, S. W.; Lyman Calder, J. W.; Samuel H. Beaver, Sec.
HOWARD M. COLMAN, lawyer and grocer at Utica, came to Nebraska in May, 1871, and took up a soldier's claim of 160 acres on Section 28, Town 11, Range 1 east, in E Precinct, Seward County, where he made his home until March, 1881, when he moved to Utica, having been appointed Postmaster in 1878. The subject of this sketch was born in Otsego County, N. Y., on the 11th of July, 1836, and was a graduate of Whitestown Seminary, New York, in 1851, and was admitted to the bar at Burlington, N.Y., in 1856. Mr. Colman was a soldier in the rebellion, enlisting in August, 1861, at Bellevue, Ohio, in the Fifty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company A, and served till the 28th of October, 1864, being wounded at the battle of Gettysburg in the right leg. After the war, he returned to Ohio, where he lived till the spring of 1866, then going to Branch County, Mich., making his home there till 1870, and going from there to Steuben, Ill., where he lived till his removal to Nebraska.
GEORGE A. DERBY, land agent for the Burlington & Missouri Railroad Company, Justice of the Peace and real estate agent at Utica, came to Nebraska in 1872, and took up a homestead in Seward County, on Section 30, Town 11, Range 1 east, E Precinct, and was one of the first settlers in the precinct. He was born in Licking County, Ohio, March 5, 1820, being the son of Jonathan M. and Clarissa Derby, who were of English lineage, but reared in Vermont, his mother's maiden name being Baker. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native State, his occupation being that of a carpenter and farmer, until 1854, when he changed his residence to Randolph County, Ind., where he pursued his former vocation for two years, and then removed to Wapello County, Iowa, where he still worked at farming and carpentering and, in 1862 was elected Sheriff of that county, in which capacity he officiated four years, after which his business was that of a dealer in Agricultural implements until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Licking County, Ohio, in 1843, to Miss Merenda H. Brown, who was born in Vermont in 1823. They now have a family of seven sons and four daughters.
DR. RUFUS D. HARVEY, of Utica, was born in Maine in 1843, and was the son of Ebenezer B. and Nancy Harvey, his mother's maiden name being Longfellow. They moved to Wisconsin in 1844, settling in Rock County, the subject of this sketch receiving his literary education in Evansville in the high school of that place. In 1862, he enlisted at Janesville in the Thirteenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Company D, and served until the close of the rebellion, after which he returned to Evansville, Wis., and was married, in 1865, to Miss Hannah A. Peck, of Waukon, Iowa. He made his home in Wisconsin until 1871, when he came to Nebraska, and took up a homestead on Section 8, Town 10, Range 1 east, in L Precinct, Seward County, where he resided, improving his farm and practicing his profession till 1877, then moved to the town of Utica, and was the first physician in the place, being now one of the oldest resident physicians in that part of the country.
JAMES E. HIBBARD, dealer in agricultural implements, coal, etc., at Utica, came to Nebraska in 1871, first locating in Lincoln, where he ran a brickyard for the firm of More & Crone for three years, and, in 1874, he moved to Seward County, and settled on the homestead which he had taken up in 1871 in E Precinct, on Section 10, Town 11, Range 1 east. On this he lived until the fall of 1878, then came to Utica, and, in the summer of 1879, commenced dealing in farm machinery. In the fall of 1881, he added the coal trade to his former business, and has since successfully operated both. Mr. H. was a soldier in the rebellion, enlisting in 1861, in Whiteside County, Ill., in the Eighth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, Company I, but after serving a little more than one year, he was discharged on account of poor health, which unfitted him for further service. He then returned to Illinois, and on December 25, 1862, was married to Miss Elma M. Fuller, who was born in Illinois in 1842, and died in September, 1870. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Waco Lodge, No. 80, and was married to his present wife, Mrs. Mary A. Cain, of Henry County, Ill., in January, 1872.
GEORGE F. HURLBURT. dealer in general merchandise and a member of the firm of Standard & Hurlburt, grain and livestock dealers, at Utica; came to Nebraska in July, 1871, and took up a homestead on Section 30, Town 10, Range 1 east, L Precinct Seward County, where he served as Assessor for three years, and as a member of the Board of Commissioners of Seward County for three years, and in November, 1881, moved to the town of Utica. The subject of this sketch was born in Broome County, N. Y., on the 26th of October, 1830, and in 1855, left his native State and came to Peoria, Ill, and was living there at the breaking-out of the rebellion. In the spring of 1864, he enlisted in the Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served till the close of the war, after which he returned to Illinois, living there until he came to Nebraska. Mr. Hurlburt is a member of the Masonic Society; was married, in August, 1857, in Illinois, to Miss Nancy E. Saxton, who was also born in New York, and who died at the old homestead in L Precinct on the 7th of August, 1877, leaving a family of six children, of whom two are girls and four boys.
JOSEPH JONES, dealer in general merchandise, and grain buyer at Utica, was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, on the 14th of March, 1845, residing there until the breaking-out of the rebellion, when he enlisted at Zanesville in the fall of 1861, in the Sixty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company A, and served till the close of the war. Then returned to Ohio, and, in March, 1866, came West as far as McLean County, Ill., where he operated a farm till the fall of 1870, this being the time of his removal to Nebraska. Took up a homestead on Section 6, Town 11, Range 1 east, E Precinct, Seward County, and commenced improving his land, on which he lived until July, 1877, when he moved into the village of Utica and opened the first general merchandise store in the place in company with C. E. Standard, with whom he ran it until the following fall, when they dissolved partnership, Mr. Jones buying out Mr. Standard, and has since successfully operated the business himself, and in March, 1879, commenced buying grain in addition to running his store. The subject of this sketch was married in McLean County, Ill., to Miss Mary E. Tracy, on the 1st of November, 1866, and is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Waco Lodge, No. 80, in York County.
JOHN S. KITTLE, druggist at Utica, was born in Peru, Miami County, Ind., October 11, 1859, and was a student at the Chicago College of Pharmacy, afterward taking a course in chemistry under Prof. Haines of Rush Medical College in the same city. He came from Chicago to Nebraska in October, 1878, and first located at York, where he clerked in the drug store of J. H. Post until February, 1879, and then came to Utica and took charge of a branch store for the above firm, conducting the same for them until May, 1880, when he bought out Mr. Post, and has since successfully operated the business himself.
GEORGE W. LEARNED, farmer and stock-raiser at Utica and County Commissioner, was born in Essex County, Vt., 20th of August, 1834, and is the son of Reuben and Nancy Learned, nee Lovejoy, who were both descendants of the Puritans, and natives of New Hampshire. In 1847, they changed their place of abode to Dodge County, Wis., where they still reside, and here the subject of this sketch made his home, and was married in 1859, to Miss Angeline L. Boynton, who was born in Ohio. In April, 1878, came to Nebraska and purchased the farm on which he lives now, and owns a section of Land, 200 acres of which are under cultivation. He was elected to the office of County Commissioner in the fall of 1879, and is at this writing chairman of the same. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and one of the directors of the Seward County Agricultural Society. Mrs. Learned is a physician of the Eclectic School, and practices her profession at Utica. She is also an original member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in that town, and is one of the strongest workers in their society, and was the first Steward of the same. Their family consists of four children--Ida L., Minnie M., George L. and Amanda M.
GEORGE LIGGETT, grain dealer at Utica, came to Nebraska in 1869, and took up a homestead on Section 28, Town 12, Range 2 east, Seward County, where he lived one year, then moved to the town of Seward, and started the first harness shop in the place, which business he conducted till 1872, at that time going to Antelope County. After remaining there three years he returned to Seward in 1875, and in the fall of 1876 embarked in the grain business in Seward, conducting it there until the fall of 1877, when he removed to Utica, where he still continued his former pursuit, and has since successfully operated that business, besides being engaged in the mercantile trade two years; was born in Butler County, Ohio, February 26, 1847, removing to Illinois in 1855, where he resided till he came to Nebraska, and was there married in Henry County in 1865, to Miss Georgiana Phelps. Mr. Liggett is a member of the I. O. O. F., Seward Lodge, No. 26.
REV. WESSON G. MILLER, D. D., Presiding Elder of the York District, Nebraska Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in Otsego County, N. Y., February 8, 1922. He received his literary education at the Gallupville Classical Institute in his native State. After devoting five years to teaching, he removed to Waupun, Wis., where he erected a lumber mill. He entered the ministry in 1845; was ordained Deacon by Bishop Waugh in Chicago in 1847, and Elder by Bishop James in Platteville, Wis., two years later. He held the leading appointments as pastor, and Presiding Elder in Wisconsin Conference for thirty-five years, seventeen of which were spent in Milwaukee. He was transferred to Nebraska in 1879, and served two years as Presiding Elder on the Omaha District. At its last session the Nebraska Conference was divided, and the Doctor preferred to become identified with the Southern division. He was appointed Presiding Elder of the York District, where he still remains. He has built himself a fine residence known as "Sunnyside," at Utica. He was made Doctor of Divinity by the Lawrence University in Wisconsin. He is the author of several books and pamphlets, "Thirty Years in the Itinerancy," "Milwaukee Methodism," "Temperance Cyclone" and "The Giant Wrong." He was married at Waupun, Wis., January 4, 1847, to Miss Mary E. Bowman, daughter of Dr. Brooks Bowman of that city, by whom he has three children. Mary E., now Mrs. Capt. Frank P. Lawrence, late of Racine, Wis.; Laura E., wife of Jesse Smith, Esq., late of Fond du Lac, Wis. Mrs. Smith died at Utica, Neb, in November, 1879. The third child is Wesson G., Jr., who lives at home, and is now operating the Sunnyside farm in addition to his own farm adjoining.
REV. CALVIN E. PHINNEY, Postmaster and dealer in groceries at Utica, Neb., was born in Dover, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, January 20, 1829, and is the son of Charles and Rebecca Phinney. In 1844, they moved to Walworth County, Wis., where the subject of this sketch made his home until 1863, then going to Blackhawk County, Iowa, and enlisting in the war of the rebellion, in the Fifteenth Ohio Regiment, Company C, serving until the close of the war, then returned to Iowa, remaining there until 1868, at which time he entered the ministry, and two years after was ordained elder in the Methodist Protestant Church, by the Rev. G. W. Brown, of Springfield, Ohio, and after remaining four years in the Iowa Conference, he took his transfer to the Nebraska Mission Conference, where he took up a homestead on Section 28, Town 11, Range 1 east, E Precinct, Seward County, Neb. Here he lived improving his farm and preaching the Gospel until the spring of 1880, when he moved from his farm to Utica, where he was appointed Postmaster in July, 1881, which office he holds at this writing. He was married in Walworth County, Wis., in 1856, to Miss Sarah C. Olp, by whom he has two children--Julian E. and May.
SOREN THYGESON, hardware store at Utica, was born November 11, 1838, in Denmark, and emigrated to the United States in 1871, locating the same year in Seward County, Neb. Took up a homestead on Section 12, Town 11, Range 1 east E Precinct, on which he resided, improving his farm until October, 1877, when he moved to the village of Utica and opened a hardware store, which was the first of the kind in the place. His storeroom is 18 x 64, and well filled with a complete stock of first-class hardware. He was married in the fall of 1871, to Miss Inge Sorenson, who was also a native of Denmark, They are both members of the Lutheran Church. They have four children--Oscar D., Lena, Casper and Mary.
DAVID J. BROWN, P. O. Seward, Section 32, Town 12, Range 3 east, a member of the firm of True & Brown, farmers and stock-feeders. These gentlemen came from Iowa in the fall of 1878, and purchased a half-section of land, and commenced preparation for making a business of feeding stock. Have now 240 acres of land fenced for pasture, and have erected cattle-sheds, 180 x 18, which provides shelter for 100 head of cattle and 300 hogs, these sheds being furnished with self-feeding cribs for corn. They are also supplied with a pair of the celebrated Victor Scales, and other conveniences pertaining to the keeping of stock. During the year 1881, they fed over 250 head of cattle, and fed and shipped 400 swine. Their residence is a fine frame building, 32 x 48 feet, and one and a half stories high. D. J. Brown of the above firm, was born in Monroe County, Tenn., on the 26th of March, 1844. In 1872, came West to Iowa and was employed in the general merchandise business at Columbus Junction, Louisa County, until his emigration to Nebraska.
MICHAEL DUNIGAN, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Seward, Section 14 Section 12, Range 3 east, was born in Ireland on the 1st of May, 1836. Is the son of Michael and Margarett Dunigan née Campbell. Was reared on a farm in his native country, and in 1853 emigrated to America, and after traveling around over various States, finally settled down in Knox County, Ill, in 1856. Here he was employed at farming until 1862, when he enlisted in the Sixty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company D, serving until the close of the rebellion, being in all the principal engagements of his regiment. At the close of the war, he returned to Illinois and resumed his former occupation, and in April, 1871, came West to Seward County, Neb., where he homesteaded a soldier's claim, and now owns 240 acres of land, 170 being under cultivation and well improved. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., being a charter member of Oliver Lodge, No. 38, and is now serving his third term as County Commissioner. He married in 1866, in Knox County, Ill., Mary E. Shumaker, a native of that State. Their family is composed of eight children--Jacob, Mary B., Emma C., Katie D., Effa M., John H., Clara M. and Benjamin R.
WILLIAM HICKMAN, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Seward, Section 28, Town 12, Range 3 east, was born in Randolph County, Ind., on the 3d of March 1831. Learned the carpenter trade in his native State, and made that his employment, removing to Jasper County, Iowa, in 1851, and followed his trade until 1854, when he commenced farming in the same State. In the fall of 1868, he came to Seward County, Neb., where he homesteaded some land, being the same on which he now lives, consisting originally of eighty acres, but he has since added to it until he now has 240 acres, all under fence and 140 under plow. He has a grove of eight acres, and a nice orchard of 175 trees, of various fruits of the best quality. Mr. Hickman has a comfortable, two-story frame residence, and a large barn, 40 x 50 feet, and keeps between fifty and seventy-five head of graded stock. He was elected Representative in the Assembly from Seward County in 1878, serving three years, during which time he was one of the building committee of the State Capitol. Was married in Iowa, in 1853, to Louisa E. Moffitt. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Oliver Lodge, No. 38.
ERASTUS M. HICKMAN, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 32, Town 12, Range 3 east, P. O. Seward; came to Nebraska in the spring of 1869, and in the following spring took up a homestead. Saw a good deal of pioneer life in those early times, but has kept steadily on improving his land and making a comfortable home. His residence is a nice frame building, 24 x 26 feet, and one and a half stories high. He owns 400 acres of land, 220 being under plow, a part of the balance being fenced for pasture, and the rest meadow. He has fourteen acres of artificial timber of his own planting, and a fine young orchard of three acres, containing various kinds of choice fruit trees, among them some excellent peach trees, all bearing. He keeps from fifty to one hundred head of thoroughbred and graded cattle, over two hundred sheep of fine grade, and one hundred hogs of the Poland-China breed. Has on his premises a fine large barn 28 x 40 feet, being the size of the main part and an addition for stock sheds, etc. The subject of this sketch was born in Randolph County, Ind., January 6, 1840, and is the son of Samuel and Margery Hickman née Moffitt. He removed to Jasper County, Iowa, where he followed farming until 1862, and then enlisted in the Twenty-second Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company C, serving till the close of the rebellion; then returned to Iowa, where he lived until 1869. He was married in Omaha, Neb., in 1866 to Miss Lizzie, daughter of George W. Thomas, who settled in that city in 1863. They are the parents of six living children--Walter E., Helen G., Jennie F., Erastus P., Edna F., and Ethan E.
JESSE KNIGHT, farmer, Section 20, Town 12, Range 3 east, P. O. Seward, was born in Randolph County, Ind. September 6, 1838. Came West with his parents, George and Armilla, to Dallas County, Iowa , in 1850, and in 1860 crossed the plains to Colorado, at the time of the great mining excitement, being there at the breaking-out of the war. In October, 1862, he enlisted in the Third Colorado Volunteer Infantry, his regiment being afterward consolidated with the Second Colorado, and in this he served until the close of the war, then returned to Guthrie County, Iowa, where he farmed until 1870, and in March of that year changed his place of abode to Seward County, Neb., where he took up a homestead. This he has cultivated until he now has the whole 120 acres under improvement, and a fine grove of trees of his own planting, containing six acres. He is now Assessor of B Precinct. He was married in Iowa to Miss Martha J. Sheeley, who was born in Indiana. They have two daughters--Zelpha M. and Lula A. William K. brother of the above, was born July 1, 1832, in Randolph County, Ind., and came West to Iowa at the same time as his brother. He was married there September 1, 1854 to Isyphena M. Moffitt. Their family consists of four children-Mary E.., now Mrs. J. M. Sheely, of Dallas County, Iowa, Luther P., Sarah E. and Elias B. After his marriage, he lived in Jasper County, Iowa, untill the fall of 1869, when he came to Nebraska five months previous to his brother Jesse, and took up a claim which is now adjoining his where he owns 200 acres, mostly under a high state of cultivation.
ELIAS McCLURE, farmer, Section 20, Town 12, Range 3 east, P. O. Seward, was born in Shelby County, Ohio, January 24, 1819; is the second son of Robert and Esther McClure, whose family consisted of sixteen children. His father was of Scotch extraction, his mother, whose maiden name was Jerard, was of French descent, and died May 30, 1834, his father dying seven years later, on the 16th of February, 1841. The subject of this sketch first removed to Tippecanoe County, Ind., where he lived five years, then went to Richland County, Wis., where he was engaged in farming and merchandising until 1857. In the fall of the year following, he came West to Nebraska, first locating near Mount Pleasant, Cass County, where he farmed and carried freight across the plains to Utah and the mountains. In 1869, he discarded this business and took up a homestead in Seward County, where he now lives, and in the spring following moved his family on to his claim, and began pioneer life in earnest, being among the very first settlers in B Precinct. He now has his farm in a high state of cultivation, and all of the comforts and conveniences pertaining to a well-managed, successfully operated farm; has served as Assessor of his precinct, and been School Director, etc. He was married in 1841, in Ohio, to Sarah J. Skillin, who was born in Pennsylvania.
THOMAS J. POORE, farmer, Section 28, Town 12, Range 3 east, P. O. Seward, was born in Randolph County, Ind., on March 6, 1839. He was the son of Edmund and Nancy Poore, who were of Old Virginia stock. He came West in 1850, first locating in Jasper County, Iowa, where he was employed at farming until the breaking-out of the rebellion. He then enlisted in the Fifth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company B, serving his country over three years, and was in all the principal engagements of his regiment; then returned to Iowa, which was his place of abode till 1868, when he removed to Nebraska, and homesteaded some land in Seward County, where he now owns 160 acres, ninety of which are improved. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace for three terms. He was married in Iowa in 1868, his wife's maiden name being Esther Jacks. Their family is composed of three children--Gertie, Edwin and Arthur. He is a member of A., F. & A. M., Oliver Lodge, No. 38.
ISRAEL I. PEARSON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 21, Town 12, Range 3 east, P. O. Seward, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1878, and moved onto the farm where he now has 160 acres of land. He has it very highly improved, 130 acres of it being under cultivation, and has built himself a nice frame residence one and one-half stories high, the main part 14 x 24, and the addition 14 x 16. Mr. Pearson, was born in Warren County, Iowa, at Somerset, January 24, 1852, and is the son of John and Sidney Pearson. His father died in 1877; his mother is now living in Guthrie County, Iowa. He learned the trade in his father's grist-mill and followed that occupation, previous to coming to Nebraska, in various parts of Iowa. He was married in 1872, to Miss Emma L. Harvey, and they are the parents of two children--William W. and Sidney.
CALVIN J. WRIGHT, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 21 and 22, Town 12, Range 3 east, P. O. Seward, came to Nebraska in September, 1879 and purchased a farm, where he now owns 560 acres, of which 250 is under cultivation, and the rest is fenced for pasture. He keeps from 75 to 100 head of cattle and 100 hogs of the best breeds. The subject of this sketch was born in Portage County, Ohio, August 26, 1834. During the early part of his life he was a merchant of Fredericksburg, Ohio, afterward changing his business to that of a photographer. In 1861, removed to Marshall County, Ind., where he was employed in various county official duties. He was an efficient member of the Mutual Detective force in that county, and was afterward employed on the United States detective force. During this time he had also been engaged in farming, stock-raising and the lumber trade. He was married in Madison County, Iowa, to Miss Elizabeth Church, also a native of Ohio. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Plymouth Lodge, No. 149, of Indiana.
EDWARD C. ARCHER, farmer, Section 34, Town 12, Range 2 east, P. O. Staplehurst, was born in West Virginia July 7, 1846. When four years of age his parents changed their place of habitation to Jo Daviess County, Ill., but after remaining there for two years moved again, this time going to Grant County, Wis., town of Lancaster. The subject of this sketch received his education there, and was also a student of the State Normal School at Platteville, and in 1863 enlisted in the late war, in the Second Wisconsin Volunteer Cavalry, Company C, serving until the close of the rebellion; then returned to Wisconsin, his occupation being that of a farmer, and afterward came to Seward County, Neb., and homesteaded the farm on which he now lives. He is a member of the G. A. R. Seward Post, No. 26. He was married in 1872 at Seward, Neb., to Miss Mary A. Compton, by whom he has three children living--Alice M., Nettie F. and Jessie M.
MARTIN CASTLE, farmer, Section 34, Town 12, Range 2 east, P. O. Staplehurst, was born in Mercer County, Ill., on the 12th of April, 1849. He is the son of Looman H. and Catherine Castle nee Murry, his father's occupation being that of a farmer. Martin Castle made his home in the county where he was born until March, 1870, when he decided to go West, and came to Seward County, Neb., taking up a homestead, and now has a nice farm of eighty acres of well improved land. He was married March 14, 1878, to Miss Emma Burhans.
LIEUT. THOMAS CORR, farmer, Section 22, Town 12, Range 2 east, P. O. Staplehurst, was born in Washington County, Ill., August 29, 1844. Here he resided, helping his father on the farm and going to school until the breaking-out of the rebellion. He then enlisted in June, 1861, in the Eleventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company C. After serving the first three months' call, he re-enlisted August 8, 1861, in the Tenth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, Company E, serving his country for three years. At the expiration of that time he returned to his home in Illinois, and immediately entered the Washington Seminary, but after attending that for a short time his country called to arms again, and he enlisted for the third time. He served until the close of the war in the United States Volunteer Veterans, Company H. in Gen. Hancock's corps, being promoted to Second Lieutenant, and afterward to First Lieutenant, and was one of the guards that helped hang Mrs. Surat and Payne, Herald and Azroff, the parties connected with the assassination of President A. Lincoln. At the close of the war, he returned to Illinois, and in April, 1869, came to Nebraska and took up a soldier's claim, being among the early settlers in C Precinct, and still living on the same. He has been Justice of the Peace and Notary Public in C Precinct for five years. He is a member of the G. A. R., Seward No. 3, and is also a Mason of Oliver Lodge, No. 38, and is a charter member of both these societies. He was married in Illinois in 1868, to Miss Mary Adams, by whom he has eight children living, of whom five are girls and three are boys.
AUGUST DAEHLING, farmer, Section 32, Town 12, Range 2 east, P. O. Marysville, was born in Hanover, Germany, on the 19th of February, 1839. Was engaged in various occupations in his native country until 1865, when he emigrated to the United States, first locating in Clayton County, Iowa. Here he remained but two years, and then came to Nebraska and took up a homestead. He now has a farm of 200 acres, 160 being under cultivation and good farm land. The subject of this sketch was married in Germany, in 1863, to Elizabeth Roehrs, by whom he has seven children--Eliza, Emma, Otto, Alice, Amelia, Bertha and Ernest. Mr. D. and wife were both original members of the German Lutheran Church at Marysville.
JOHN A .DURLAND, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 35, Town 12, Range 2 east, P. O. Staplehurst, was born in New Jersey, October 23, 1839, being the son of John N. and Sarah A. Durland, the former of German and the latter of Scotch descent. His mother's maiden name was Wolfe. When John A. was quite a small child, they came West to Fulton County, IL, and his father being a miller by trade, followed that occupation, in connection with farming. The subject of this sketch also engaged in agricultural pursuits in that State until he came to Nebraska, which was in the spring of 1865, and in May of the same year took up a claim, being the farm on which he now lives. In the following August, he moved his family on to it, and was the first settler in C Precinct. Mr. D has seen a good deal of pioneer life, beginning with a small log shanty on the south bank of the Big Blue River, but that has since been replaced by a comfortable two story frame dwelling, 28 x 32. His farm contains 240 acres, 140 of which are under cultivation and well improved. He organized the first school district in C Precinct and was the first Treasurer of the same. Was married in Fulton County, Ill., March 31, 1859, to Miss Lucy J. Roberts, who was born there, and by whom he has five children living--George B., Samuel C., Rosie B., Albert E. and Charley A. The third child, Rosie B., was the first white child born in C Precinct, May 26, 1867.
WILLIAM REID, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Ulysses, came to Nebraska in 1856, and first located in Cass County, at Plattsmouth, six miles west of the town, where he pre-empted a claim, where he worked improving his farm until the spring of 1859, when he went to Pike's Peak, where he engaged at mining for two years. Then made several trips across the plains, afterward settling in Seward County, on the place where he now lives, and was among the early settlers in that county. He was born in Ireland in 1824; left his parents when only seven years of age, and went to Dunkirk, England, where he stayed until he was twenty-one years old. His father's name was George Reid, who was agent for Lord Templeton's estate, which is situated in County Monahan, Ireland. In 1850, the subject of this sketch emigrated to America. Was married in 1868, at Plattsmouth, to Mary A. Pirtle.
JOHN W. SHIELDS, farmer, Section 15, Town 12, Range 2 East, P. O. Ulysses, Butler Co., first came to Nebraska in 1863, and preempted a claim of the land that now forms his farm. In the summer of 1866, he moved his family from Cass County, where he had lived after his arrival in Nebraska, on to his claim, and began a pioneer life in earnest. In those early times, he made a specialty of hunting and trapping on the Big Blue River, being very successful in that line, killing a great many buffalo, elk, etc., and trapping beaver, otter, and other animals. Owns 160 acres of land, one-half under cultivation and the other native timber. In the fall of 1872, at the time of the removal of the county seat from Milford to Seward, he was elected Probate Judge of Seward County, which position he filled with credit to himself and county. Has also served a number of years as Justice of the Peace of C Precinct. He was born February 7, 1830, Rush County, Ind., and married July 18, 1854, to May Elizabeth Newhouse, in Mahaska County, Iowa.