This is a NEGenWeb Project web page

The following are all poor farm references from a search of the on-line publication of :
HISTORY of the State of Nebraska
first published in 1882 by The Western Historical Company, A. T. Andreas, Proprietor, Chicago, IL.
[That on-line publication is found at -- in the NEGenWeb Project Resource Center.]

"This institution [The Adams County Poor Farm] for the care and support of the infirm and destitute was established in 1873. The land, comprising a tract of 300 acres, was procured by the county authorities from the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad, and is situated near the central part of the county, about four miles south of the village of Juniata. Buildings suitable for the purpose, consisting of a story-and-a-half frame, and stabling. The entire cost of the first buildings was about $1,200. Improvements and enlargements have since been made, in which was expended, in the aggregate, the amount of $3,000. The farm, consisting of the fine prairie land, is in a fair state of cultivation.

Owing largely to the industry of settlers and their abilities to make provisions for themselves, the number of inmates is comparatively small. The establishment of the institution, however, is one among the many marks of generosity of the settlers, able-bodied and strong, to so contribute of their means that the weak and helpless may not suffer." 

 "PETER FOWLIE, ... emigrated to America in the early part of 1871, and in September of that year came to Nebraska, pre-empted 160 acres of land in Denver Precinct, Adams County, and resided on the same for about a year; was then appointed Superintendent of Adams County Poor Farm, which he held until March, 1874 ..."  

CLAY "Poor House--The people of Clay County, out of their abundance, have always found charity for their poor and needy. For the comfort of those who are unable to care for themselves they have made suitable provision. In May, 1874, the County Commissioners bought a quarter section of railroad land, two miles east of Clay Center, for a poor farm. A house was built in February, 1880, and is a two-story frame, the main part being 24x26 feet, to which a two-story wing, measuring 20x26 feet, is appended. The farm, a fine body of land, is in a fair state of cultivation, and the institution is run under contract by A. C. Masterson, who receives a half share of all that is produced upon the farm and $3.50 per week for the support of each inmate, of whom there are now twelve."
DODGE The [Dodge] County Poor Farm consists of 160 acre of land, three miles north of the city, the ground being rented. Sixty acres have been put under cultivation. The department is in charge of J. W. Vars. Four years ago, a house was erected in Fremont for the convenience of those who did not receive outdoor relief. Only seven or eight families are permanently supported by the county, which speaks well both for it and its people. The average yearly expense for running the department does not exceed $1,000.
DOUGLAS "JAMES S. CAMERON, manager of the New American Sewing Machine Co., for Omaha and the State of Nebraska .... located in Omaha in March, 1869, and first engaged as Superintendent of [Douglas] County Poor Farm.

"The Poor House.-- Lying just across the corporation line, the Douglas County Poor farm embraces 160 acres of the most fertile land in the vicinity and occupies perhaps the finest site along the Missouri. Previous to the erection of the present structure, the unfortunate paupers of Douglas County were limited in their accommodations to ill furnished rooms in an old and dilapidated shanty, where they were huddled together in a manner devoid of comfort. In the fall of 1869, through the active and conscientious labors of Jonas Gise, senior County Commissioner, the present substantial poor house was built. The erection of a proper building for the reception of paupers was one of Mr. Gise's pet schemes. Through his influence an appropriation for a suitable structure was secured in June, 1868. Mr. Gise drew up the plans and specifications, and the contract for the premises was awarded to Rueben Berringer at $8,474--bricks, wood work and finishing complete. The first brick was laid in October and the building was ready for occupation in December, 1869.

It is a brick building, two stories high, forty by thirty-six feet, with a capacity sufficient to accommodate about forty inmates, though in case of emergency this number can be increased to fifty.

The institution contains thirty-six inmates, a portion of whom are insane patients under the care of I. N. Pierce, superintendent, and requires an annual appropriation of $3,500 for its support, in addition to the product of the farm."

FILLMORE "On September 14, 1875, the contract was let for building a [Fillmore] County Poor House, at a cost of $1,473. In a few months the building was completed. It was located on the southeast quarter of Section 16, Town 6, Range 3 west. This tract of land had been purchased for a poor farm, July 2, 1872."
HAMILTON "The court house was erected in May, 1872, which was the first building erected, and in October of the same year, the first frame house was built by T. H. Glover. In 1873 it was a thriving town containing three grocery and general merchandise stores, one drug store, hotel, blacksmith shop, real estate office, law office and a saloon. A portion of the site is now used for the [Hamilton] county poor farm, and hardly a building is left to mark the now deserted village [Orville City].
LANCASTER "Fortunately the condition of Lancaster County is such that few need to be thrown upon public charity. She, however, has made the usual provisions, erecting a two-story frame building for a poor house, ten years ago. The poor farm of 240 acres and the buildings upon it are situated five miles northwest of Lincoln, on Oak Creek. There are at present but twenty inmates of the poor house, only a few families, in addition, receiving outdoor relief. The property, with improvements, is valued at $10,000. The wants of the deserving needy are met by E. W. Smith, Superintendent of the Poor."
MERRICK "Although, at present, the [Merrick] county has no paupers on its hands, it is preparing for the future, and has purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, one and a half miles north of Central City, to be used as a poor farm. A building has also been erected, which, with the land, brings the valuation of the property up to $3,000."
NEMAHA  "JOHN MAXWELL, Superintendent of the Nemaha County Poor Farm, was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland ... locating ... in 1868, to Nemaha County, Neb. Mr. Maxwell was elected to his present position in January, 1869, and has since continuously occupied it."
PAWNEE "Pawnee County has no poor house or poor farm, and has not more than a dozen people depending upon it for support, which certainly speaks well for Pawnee County."
SAUNDERS "The Saunders County poor farm [Center Precinct] is situated on Section 27. A home is provided for the county's poor, but the number of paupers are few indeed."
THAYER "The [Thayer County] poor farm consists of about 200 acres of excellent land. It has a good dwelling and barn, which, however, are only temporary, being sufficient to meet the present demand. It has proven thus far self-sustaining. Upon this farm is the famous cave where Bennett and Abernathy, two gallant frontiersmen, met their death at the hands of the Indians in 1867."
WASHINGTON "F. S. TUCKER, Superintendent [Washington] County Poor Farm, post office Blair, is a native of Jersey County, Ill.; came to Blair in 1876, followed farming and was appointed to the above position in 1879 ..."

Return to Poorhouses in Nebraska

Return to
The NEGenWeb Project:

Resource Center | State Page