Topography | Pre-Historic | Early Settlement|
First Fourth of July | Reminiscences | Jayhawking|
Organization | County Seat Troubles
War History | Official Roster | County Buildings | Railroads | Ferries|
Farmers' Clubs | Grasshoppers | Agricultural Society|
Nemaha County Mills | Bridges | Educational | Religious | Progress|
Statistics of Property | National and State Officials
Brownville: Early History | Pioneer Incidents | Surveys and Additions
Brownville (cont.): Incorporation | Official Roster|
Nemaha Valley Insurance Company
The Brownville Stone and Stone Coal Company
The First Telegraph Line | The First Train of Cars | Storm and Flood
Express Robbery | Educational | Religious | The Press
United States Land Office | River Improvements | Post Office
Masonic And Other Organizations | Library Association and Lyceum
Hotels | Banks | United States Express Company
Walnut Grove Cemetery | Manufactories | Attorneys and Physicians
Carson | London
8 ~ 10:
ARMSTRONG~HARRIS | HAWKS~MAXWELL
Peru: Early History | Societies | Education | The Press|
Railroads and Business Interests | Personal and incidents
Peru (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
Nemaha City: Early Settlement | Organization | Education|
Religious | Societies | The Press | Business Interests
Nemaha City (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
North Auburn: Early History | Religious | Educational | Societies|
Press | Hotels
South Auburn: Religious | Societies | The Press
North Auburn & South Auburn: Biographical Sketches|
Brock: Biographical Sketches|
Aspinwall: Biographical Sketches|
Johnson & Clifton: Biographical Sketches|
St. Deroin - Febing - Bedford: Biographical Sketches
Other Towns: Biographical Sketches|
List of Illustrations in Nemaha County Chapter
(HAWKS thru MAXWELL)
WILLIAM HAWKS, farmer, P. O. Nemaha City, was born in 1810 in Westmoreland County, Penn.; when about thirty years old, he went to Ross County, Ohio, where he married Nancy Williams, removed from there to Illinois, and thence to Atchison County, Mo.; in 1856, he made the claim which constitutes his present farm, erecting his claim shanty and settling upon it; while living in Missouri in 1854, he helped Richard Brown and Taulbird Edwards build the first log cabin in the present site of Brownville. Mr. and Mrs. Hawks have four living children--Lucretta, born in Ohio, now the wife of B. H. Moore; Martha. now Mrs. B. H. Tucker, was born in Illinois; Amanda, born in Missouri, is the wife of T. B. Colerick, a native of White County, Ind., who came to Nebraska in 1860 and is now in charge of the Hawks homestead; Ellen, the youngest daughter, born in Missouri, is now Mrs. Rodney Prall, of Nemaha City.
J. S. HETZEL, of Brownville, is a native of Orange County, N. Y., born in Florida in that county in 1834. His father, Joseph Hetzel, a farmer, married Stella Ketchum, and both are still living at the age of eighty, on the old Orange County farm. At the age of twenty, J. S. Hetzel began clerking for a mercantile firm in Goshen, N. Y., and six years later entered into the employ of Thomas M. Argall & Co., one of the oldest and wealthiest clothing houses on Broadway, New York, commencing at the magnificent salary of $5 per week; young Hetzel's real business abilities were soon sufficiently observed by the firm to advance him rapidly to confidential and responsible positions as clerk and traveling salesman; for a number of years, Mr. H. had entire control of this firm's gigantic interests in Illinois and Wisconsin, and did a vast amount of business for the house in nearly every Northern State; in 1868, he opened a large clothing store in Brownville Neb., and did business on a princely scale for a few years, and then, owing to too large credits and the failure of crops was obliged to suspend business, nearly $3,000 worse off than when he was chore boy on the York State farm, though he brought $50,000 to Brownville, to quote Mr. H.'s own words, " I never lost a meal nor an hour of sleep on account of my failure, but packed a little grip and left for New York City, where I made an arrangement in ten minutes with my old employers to travel for them through Kansas and Nebraska; have held the place since, and made money enough for them and myself so as to feel independent again, though I did turn even my home over to my creditors seven years ago." Mr. H. is a portly, stocky man, ever ready with a kind word, a cheery smile and a genuine jolly good nature that is infectious, few men have combined the business traits and geniality of J. S. Hetzel. He married Miss Louisa Reeves, of Goshen, N. Y.; they have an only child--Stella A., born in Passaic, N. J.
LEWIS HILL, grocer, Brownville, was born February 15, 1837, in Lyons, N. Y.; farming in his native State occupied his younger days; the year 1859 found him in Brownville, where he opened a general store, continuing business until the fall of 1862; he enlisted in the Second Nebraska Cavalry, was made Captain of Company E; after thirteen months' service in Dakota, he returned and resumed mercantile business, which he has since continued; Mr. H. is the oldest and one of the most favorably known of Brownville merchants. His wife was Amelia E. Davis, a native of Pennsylvania; they have no children.
[RESIDENCE OF THE LATE LUTHER HOADLEY, ESQ.]
LUTHER HOADLEY, deceased, was born March 6, 1814, in Litchfield County, Conn.; at twenty-three, he located in Eutaw, Ala., where he engaged in mercantile business until 1854; during that year, he returned to his early home, and soon started on a speculative tour through the West. arriving at Brownville, then a stirring and prosperous town, with an apparently limitless future, he discovered that no society of Presbyterians existed in the place; this decided him to remain here until one was built up, and it was through the efforts of this unselfish pioneer that this church was organized here. Mr. Hoadley continued its most active supporter and Elder until his death. Luther Hoadley was a devoted Christian man, who lived unselfishly, and bent his utmost energies to the advancement of mankind in things secular and spiritual. Mr. Hoadley was an active and energetic man, the aggregator of a fine fortune, and the builder of an elegant home for his family; the real estate business and the loaning of money were his principal transactions in commercial life, and he is well and favorably remembered by the host of earnest friends made during his long residence in Brownville.
[Portrait of A. S. Holladay, M. D.]
A. S. HOLLADAY, M. D., Brownville, is the pioneer physician of Nemaha County was born September 18,1827, in Carlisle, Ky., he attained a good education in his native State; desirous of doing good unto his fellow-men, and of leading a life that would be of real use to humanity, he resolved to enter the medical profession; this he did by commencing his studies at Weston, Mo.; in February, 1851, he graduated from the Medical Department of the St. Louis University; the next year found him in California, where he remained until 1855; in November of that year, he settled in Brownville, where he has since resided and practiced; he was the first regular physician in Nemaha County, and has always taken an active part in forwarding its interests and watching the march of progress; he established the first drug store in Brownville in the summer of 1856; in February, 1857, he entered the town site of Brownville; in 1860, he founded the Union as a Unionist Democratic organ; in 1861, he was a member of the Territorial Legislature; in 1862, he was appointed Acting Assistant Surgeon by Col. Furnas, and accompanied him on his expedition to Kansas and the Cherokee country; during 1863-64, he was at Ft. Halleck in the same official capacity; in 1865-66, he was a member of the Territorial Council; from 1866 to 1870, he was in the drug business; the Doctor is an historic old timer and delights in pioneer reminiscences; he was the first Mayor and second Postmaster of Brownville; in 1868, he founded the present Nemaha County Granger under the name of Democrat. His wife Lucretia R. Pfouts, by whom be has two daughters--Helen, now Mrs. Robinson, and Mollie, who died as the wife of Delos Smith.
W. H. HOOVER, one of the prominent pioneers of Nemaha County, was born in 1833 in Miami County, Ohio. His boyhood was spent in Northern Indiana, and his first claim was made at Nemaha City, Neb., in January, 1855. This claim he still owns. In the fall of 1855, he was elected County Clerk and Register of Deeds, which offices he held until 1867. In 1864, he was appointed Clerk of the Second Judicial District, which office he has since continuously held. Mr. H. is, with two or three exceptions, the oldest settler in Nemaha County. During his long residence here, he has dealt extensively in real estate in Nemaha and Richardson Counties, and is the owner of much valuable land. Mr. H. is a Republican, and, owing to his long official career, affable manners and straightforward way of doing business, has made a wide and favorable acquaintance in the State.
HOMER JOHNSON, one of Brownville's pioneer settlers, was born in 1822 in Tully, Onondaga Co., N. Y., where his early life was spent. His father, born in Massachusetts, was a merchant. Homer Johnson has been a life-long farmer, locating in 1846 in Ozaukee County, Wis. He spent eight years there, and in March, 1855, made a claim on the Nemaha River. The same year be bought an eighth interest in the Brownville town site. His partners were Richard Brown, B. B. Frazier, S. E. Rogers, H. W. and O. F. Lake. Mr. Johnson made Brownville his home for many years after, speculating in real estate. Formed a partnership with J. L. McGee, and engaged in mercantile business for about twelve years, buying out Mr. McGee, and admitting his son, Frank E. Johnson, to the partnership, during this time. From 1877 until 1882, both Homer and F. E. Johnson resided on a farm near Brownville. Mr. Johnson is a stanch Republican, and has served in the Second Nebraska Volunteers in 1864. His wife was Sarah Wallace, by whom he has two children--Franklin E., born in Ozaukee County, Wis.; and a prominent politician and farmer of Nemaha County, and a daughter, Orinda. F. E. Johnson is residing with his father in a substantial building erected by H. C. Lett, of Omaha, formerly an honored resident of Brownville.
B. F. JONES, Section 23, P. O. Brownville, was born June 18, 1846, in New Hanover County, N. C. Has been a life-long farmer. Married Sallie E. Clark, daughter of J. C. Clark, of Brownville. They have three children. Mr. Jones is a son of David Jones, who was born in New Hanover County, N. C., and who married Margaret A. Keith; of the same county. They removed to Buchanan County, Mo., in 1849, with a family of nine children--Anne E. (since deceased), William J., Susan L., Margaret P., Mary A., David, Amanda H., Benjamin F. and Thomas L. In Buchanan County, Mo., there were born five children--Charles M., Eva, Leonidas K., Milton F. and Harriet A. Of these, David is dead. The father died July 18, 1879; the mother, July 24, 1874. The Jones family removed to Nemaha County, locating in London Precinct, in 1865. B. F. Jones now owns ninety acres north of the original homestead, on Section 26.
WILLIAM J. JONES, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Brownville, was born September 3, 1835, in New Hanover County, N. C., removed, with his parents, to Missouri, and thence to the farm which he now owns, in 1865. During the civil war, he served in the Missouri State Militia, enlisting as a "home-guard" on the Confederate side; he served nine months with the boys in gray, taking part in the fight at Lexington, Mo. Mr. Jones is son of David Jones, and married Miss Annie E. Alderman, who was born in New Hanover County, N. C. They have five living children--Mary A., Alice L., Mattie E., Frank C. and William H. Mr. Jones has been a life-long Democrat.
W. A JUDKINS, grocer, Brownville, was born June 21, 1800, in Grafton County, N. H. He removed from the city of Boston to St. Joseph County, Ind., where he worked from 1846 to 1868 as a carpenter. During the last-named year, he came to Brownville, and began the lumber business; quitting this three years later, he tried the furniture business for a year, then opened up a stock of groceries and provisions. Mr. Judkins is a Republican; a Knight of Pythias; and has served eight years as a City Councilman. His wife was Amelia Ward, of Hanover, N. H., in which place they were married. Of their four living children, daughters, three are telegraph operators.
["MOUNT HOPE NURSERY" -- RESIDENCE OF C. M. KAUFFMAN.]
C. M. KAUFFMAN, proprietor of the Mount Hope Nursery, Brownville, was born in Lancaster Co., Penn., in 1827; removed, in 1847, to Miami County, Ohio, and, in 1861, resigned the office of Postmaster of Tippecanoe City, Ohio to enlist in the Seventy-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry; fought at Forts Henry and Donelson; with Sherman to Atlanta; with Thomas at Nashville, and, after the war closed, served nearly a year in Texas. In 1867, Mr. Kauffman came to Nemaha County, purchasing the Sherman House in Brownville, which he still owns, and 960 acres of land in Johnson County, which he still owns. Besides Mount Hope Nursery (one mile southwest of Brownville) which is his home, he has property in Brownville, Nemaha City, Sterling; also a branch nursery in Tecumseh, Neb. Mount Hope Nursery, comprising twenty acres, was started in 1870, it then being a heavily-timbered hillside tract. Mr. Kauffman has made this wilderness bloom as a rose garden during the past twelve years, he having the largest stock of apple, pear, peach, plum and apricot trees in Nemaha County, besides 1,500 grape vines, of all the different varieties, and evergreens of all kinds. His nursery stock of apple trees includes such varieties as the Ben Davis, Rawle's Jannet, Winesap, Willow Twig, Maiden's Blush, White Winter Pearmain, etc. His favorite peaches are Hale's and Crawford's early and late varieties. His peach crop has been very light during the past four years; likewise his yield of apricots, which seem to flourish only in good "peach years." Mr. Kauffman married Catherine Van Dusen, of Connecticut, by whom he has seven children--Alice, Mattie, June, Charles S., Sherman, Ida and Frederick.
EX-JUDGE S. W. KENNEDY, farmer, P. O. Brownville, was born June 12, 1816, in Montgomery County, Ohio. He is a son of Stephen Kennedy and Mary McMunn Kennedy, who died in 1818. His father moved, in 1825, to Tippecanoe County, Ind., where S. W. lived until 1843, that year he located in Buchanan County, Mo., and made a claim, returning to Indiana for his family. The steamer on which all his household goods were shipped sunk to the bottom of the Missouri; his wife died on the way, and, to crown his misfortunes, he found nothing but a pile of ashes in the place of the home built on his Missouri claim. In 1856, he moved to Nemaha County, Neb., making a claim on the Nemaha bottom, which he still owns. He located where he now lives in 1866, and is the owner of 300 acres of good land. Squire Kennedy, as he is best known, has prospered, like most of the Nebraska pioneers; has a good home, two valuable farms, and is about to buy another. He is a Republican, and has served seven consecutive years as County Commissioner, and over twenty-eight years as Justice of the Peace. He has been a member of the M. E. Church in an official capacity since 1836, and is now a local preacher. By his first wife, whose maiden name was Sarah Frogg, he has three children--Eliza J., Mary M. and Charles H. By the present wife, formerly Eliza Ware, whom he married in 1852, he has four children--Margaret A., George L., Lydia B. and Etta. Mr. K. takes pride in narrating the facts of his housing and feeding a party of eleven slaves, who, accompanied by grand old John Brown and a dozen whites, were making their way North in border ruffian times.
S. S. LAWRENCE, farmer, P. O. Brownville. Mr. Lawrence is a son of Philip and Mary Lawrence, and was born in 1825, in Adams County, Ohio. His early life was spent on a farm in Marion County, in that State. In 1853, he removed, with his family, to Jones County, Iowa, and engaged in farming there for ten years, removing to his present farm on Section 27, London Precinct, in the spring of 1864, having spent the winter in Brownville. Mr. Lawrence has erected a good frame house, planted about three miles of hedge, and made other substantial improvements. In 1881, he bought the southwest quarter of Section 23, London Precinct, for $3,000, this giving him one of the finest farms in the precinct. He has suffered much from ill-health during his residence in Nebraska, causing his removal to Brownville in 1872; three years later, he again located on his farm, remaining until the fall of 1879, when he retired from farming and took up his permanent abode in Brownville. Mr. Lawrence married Rosina Moyer, of Stark County, Ohio, by whom he has five living children, all sons; of these, John A, Abraham L. and Valentine are now managing the farm, while William is farming by himself in the same precinct, and Samuel C. is now teaching in Linn County, Iowa.
WILLIAM LINDSAY, farmer, P. O. Brownville, was born in 1820, in County Londonderry, Ireland. Served eight years in the British Army in England, Ireland and Canada. He bought his discharge, and came to America in 1847, marrying Frances Bryant, a native of Kentucky, in which State he first settled. Removing to Illinois in 1852, he engaged in farming until 1865. That year he located on his 160 acre Nemaha County farm, where he has set out nearly one thousand fruit trees, besides a large grove of forest trees. Mr. Lindsay is an Elder in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mr. and Mrs. Lindsay have eight children--Lucy M. and Margaret E., born in Kentucky; Nancy J. and Robert A., born in Greene County, Ill., Letitia F., Virginia V., Jesse T. and Phoebe A., born in Montgomery County, Ill.
W. H. LORANCE, Brownville, was born July 20 1829, in Monroe County, Tenn. He spent his early life on farms in Monroe and Bradley Counties. Enlisting, in November, 1846, in the Fifth Tennessee, he served, under Col. G. B. McClellan, with Scott's army, through the Mexican war, though he was disabled by scurvy before the capture of Mexico. From 1848 to 1851, he resided in his native State, and during 1851 settled in Gentry County, Mo., where he enlisted in the Thirty-fifth Missouri State Militia in 1861, serving as Orderly Sergeant throughout the civil war, though not leaving Missouri. In 1865 he settled in Brownville, where for many years, in its palmy and growing days, he earned good wages with his team, enabling him to educate a large family of children and to purchase a farm, which he still owns. He married Mary Hill, a native of Monroe County, Tenn., by whom he has nine children--John H., Benjamin F., Thomas A., Oliver Edmund, William, Belle, Ethel and Hope. The five eldest were born in Missouri and the rest in Brownville.
MRS. JANE LOVELESS P. O. London, is the owner of a remarkable Nebraska farm. It comprises 160 acres; was entered and first improved by Bird Vowel in 1856. He began planting fruit and forest trees in 1859, and continued this work until he sold the farm to the Loveless family, during the civil war. By them the place has been made almost an Arcadia--trees, trees, trees are to be seen on every hand, including almost every plant, shrub, tree and vine that will grow in Nebraska. The apple orchard, of 3,000 bearing trees, in unrivaled in the State, including, as it does, all the hardy and popular varieties, with many others now unknown to Nebraska fruit-growers. Twenty-five varieties of pears are grown, 500 trees having been set out in 1871. Peach trees grow wild and but little attention is paid to them, though good crops are raised during good "peach years." The crop of 1872 was 3,000 bushels. Many varieties of all kinds of luscious fruit grown on the Loveless farm held a prominent place in Nebraska's exhibit at the Centennial, Gov. Furnas interesting himself to that end. In 1877, Mrs. Loveless exhibited 125 varieties of apples, twenty-five of pears and a dozen of peaches at the State Fair, being awarded eight first premiums on apples alone. Besides a great profusion of crab, plum, apricot and quince trees, all kinds of berries and small fruits are grown, and 150 grape vines of the best varieties are growing. A ten-acre grove of forest trees has been planted, including cottonwood, hard and soft maple, red and white elm, black and white ash, Norway pine, red and white cedar, spruce, larch, balsams, etc. Wagon loads of butternuts and walnuts are grown on hundreds of trees, and cord wood of home growth is sold. Cottonwood logs eighty feet long and three feet through have been sawed on the farm. All kinds of ornamental plants and shrubs flourish here, and flowers blossom the year round. Fifty varieties of roses, including a dozen varieties of monthly roses, may be seen here. A short visit to this place will well repay any lover of horticulture who is interested in the onward march of our grand State in this most important branch of its varied industries. The hostess and her daughters are to be seen in their heavy "stoga" boots and wide hats superintending the farm operations; but their care of its interests does not prevent much reading and consequent intelligence and culture.
E M. McCOMAS, Brownville, was born in 1826, in Greene County, Ohio. His early life was spent in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he devoted a number of years to the acquirement of a thorough knowledge of the drug business. In 1854, he went to Kansas, and in 1856, located on a farm in Nemaha County, two and a half miles north of his present farm. Selling this, he located in Nemaha City, where he speculated in "corner lots" for a time. In 1859, he located on 320 acres, now known as the Curtis farm, then five miles from any neighbor. Selling this six years later, he located in Brownville, where he was in the drug business till 1868, selling out to H. C. Lett. He then paid $50 per acre for his present farm of 120 acres. This farm is one of the oldest and one of the best in the county, it having been opened up by Uriah Edwards. On this farm, with the help of his sons, Mr. McComas has planted about five hundred apple trees, fifteen hundred peach trees and many shade and ornamental trees and shrubs. His substantial brick farmhouse was built in 1871. Mr. McComas married Elmira Wagner in Miami County, Ohio, in 1852. They have eleven living children, all residents of Nemaha County. Mortimer, the eldest son, is now a substantial farmer in London Precinct, while Robert and Edward are the active partners, with their father, in a fine drug store opened about two years since in Brownville. Mr. McComas is a stanch Jacksonian Democrat of the old school, and though his devoted attention to business duties has prevented active participation in politics, he was elected to the Probate Judgeship in 1871, and served most acceptably until 1876.
A. H. McGEE, senior member of the firm of McGee & Moore, Brownville, is one of the foremost merchants in Nemaha County. He was born in Indiana County, Penn. Came to Brownville in 1867; clerked for F. E. Johnson & Co. for six years and for John McPherson & Co. one year, at the end of which time this firm was formed. A double store, 80x24 feet, is occupied, filled with all kinds of everything. Besides doing business to the amount of nearly $100,000 per year in Brownville, the firm owns a branch store in Calvert, managed by Mr. Moore. It is also 80x24 feet and well stocked. It was the first store opened in that town of great expectations. The firm employs seven clerks and enjoys a first-class reputation for taste shown in selecting stock and good business ability.
S. W. McGREW, M. D., P. O. London. Dr. McGrew was born, in 1845, in Westmoreland County, Penn., and received his education in West Newton Academy, Pennsylvania. Began his medical studies with Dr. Mellinger, Mars Hill, Penn., and entering the Surgical Department of the Cleveland, Ohio, Medical College, graduated therefrom in March, 1868. In the fall of the same year, he removed to Nebraska, locating in London Precinct, where he had since resided, practicing his chosen profession. In connection with this, he manages his farm, on which he located in 1871. He married, in London, Miss Kittie Coleman, a native of Missouri and a daughter of ex-Sheriff James Coleman, an early settler of Nemaha County, Neb. Dr. and Mrs. McGrew have two children--Grace L. and Elbert J. The Doctor served from 1870 to 1874 as County Superintendent of Public Instruction.
B. F. McININCH, farmer, P. O. Brownville. Mr. McIninch was born, May 2, 1834, in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Left his birthplace in 1850, and was for a time a resident of Kansas before his settlement in Buchanan County, Mo., where he married Eliza J., daughter of S. W. Kennedy, Esq., now of Nemaha County, Neb. Mr. McIninch made a claim on Section 30, London Precinct, in September, 1855, and began Nebraska pioneering, with his wife, in a cabin roofed with dirt. Seventeen years later, he began a new home, where be now lives; has erected good buildings and planted an unusually large orchard. He began planting apple trees in 1857, buying $75 worth of trees, only one of which lived. Despite this, he now has every popular variety of apples growing, besides peaches, pears. plums and all small fruits. "Grapes," he says, "can be grown as easily as alders." He prefers the Jonathan, Ben Davis, Winesap and Genitan for winter apples, and for summer the Red June, Red Astrachan and Summer Queen. Seedling peaches thrive best with him, he having had a crop every year since 1870. He recommends the box alder for a windbreak but plants freely the ash, walnut and honey locust. Mr. McIninch served about a year in Col. Furnas' Second Nebraska Regiment during the war of 1861-65. His father, who shares his son's pleasant home, was also in the service and was a soldier under Gen. Scott in Mexico. Mr. and Mrs. McIninch have seven children, all born and now living in Nemaha County. He relates an anecdote about his wife's pluck in early times, she driving a squad of seven Indiana from her cabin, as they were too familiar for comfort. The redskins so admired the "brave squaw" for this as to cause them to make overtures for her purchase. They actually offered Mr. McIninch a squaw "even up " and finally two squaws. He, however, insisted that a pair of ponies be thrown in, which the Indians wouldn't agree to, they evidently doubting his sincerity in the proposed "trade."
W. H. McININCH, farmer, P. O. Brownville, was born in 1836 in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, removed when young to California, working in the gold mines four years. He then came to New York City via San Francisco. He settled late in 1857, on his present farm in Nebraska. He pre-empted the claim the next year, and still holds the United States patent, to which President Buchanan's signature is affixed. Mr. McIninch began baching it here in a claim shanty; was married in 1859; built a comfortable farmhouse; plowed, planted, sowed and set out trees for years, and in 1881, built a handsome one-and-a-half story brick farmhouse, which, surrounded as it is with a large and fruitful orchard and vineyard, flanked by a fruitful grove of forest timber, will afford a most pleasant retreat for himself and wife in declining years. During his entire residence in the State, he has devoted a great deal of attention to horticulture and arborculture. His orchard now includes ten acres, set with all kinds of hardy and productive apple trees, besides peach, pear, plum, apricot and cherry trees in abundance. A peach orchard of 300 trees is just coming into bearing. He has also tested the common varieties of peaches, also the Amden and Hill's Chili. He favors the Concord grape, the greengage plum and peach trees by all odds for a windbreak. His mainstay in apples is the Winesap, but he likes the Jonathan, Ben Davis, Genitan, Summer Red June, Early Harvest and Summer Queen. He married Miss Catherine Duncle, of Guyandotte, Va. Her mother and step-father, James Emmons, located in Nebraska In 1856. Mr. and Mrs. McIninch have had nine children, two of whom are dead. Charles died February 28, 1873, and Edgar, December 24, 1877. Those now living are--Ophelia, James, Kate, David, Belle, Starnes and Burnette, all born on the Nemaha County farm.
EX-JUDGE ALEXANDER McKENNEY, farmer, P. O. London, was born in 1831 in Fayette County, Ill. He is the son of Jere McKenney, a Virginian, and a very early settler of Illinois. Alexander McKenney located at Peru, Neb., in 1857, and a year later bought 160 acres of his present farm. This quarter-section was entered by Dr. Perry, then styled Mayor of El Dorado, a promising town, on paper, which the Doctor hoped would be a successful bidder for the county seat. The town makes a splendid farm, however, Judge McKenney having added 212 acres to the original claim, besides eighty acres in another section. The Judge is a large stock-feeder and fruit-grower; has fine buildings and a farm well inclosed by hedges, fences, etc. He is a Republican, and served as County Commissioner from 1873 to 1876. He married, in Bureau County, Ill., Sarah E. Swan. Their children are Frances E., Jasper N., William H., James S., Belle, John, Dora and Nellie. The two eldest were born in Illinois, and the others in Nemaha County, Neb. Judge McKenney and wife are members of the Methodist Church.
WILLIAM McKENNEY, farmer, P. O. Peru, was born in 1826 in Marion County, Ill., and grew to manhood in Fayette County Ill. From 1847 to 1863, he was in Bureau County, Ill. Since 1863, he has resided in Nebraska, on his farm, having built a large and handsome farmhouse, planted large orchard and groves, besides two and a half miles of hedge. Mr. and Mrs. McKenney have raised a large family of children, as may be seen from the following names--George W., Hester N., Mary F., Emeline E., Angeline E., Melvin E., Lora M., William O., Della May, Franklin D. and Edwin E. The five eldest were born in Bureau County III., and the others in Nemaha County, Neb.; besides, Mr. and Mrs. McKenney have reared with their children a nephew, William McKenney, a son of Joseph McKenney, deceased. Mr. McKenney la a stanch Republican, and an advocate of temperance.
TIMOTHY McLAUGHLIN, retired stone-mason, Brownville, was born in Kings County, Ireland; came to America when about twenty-two years of age, and located in Oneida County, N. Y., where he remained a number of years. He married, in Hartford Conn., Mary Woogan, a native of Kings County, Ireland. After a year's residence near Dubuque, Iowa, he located in Brownville in August, 1857. By hard work, economy and good investments, Mr. McLaughlin has become the owner of a most pleasant home, besides two or three store buildings in Brownville. He has ever been alive to the interests of his town, and was the prime mover in the erection of the first Roman Catholic Church here. Mr. and Mrs. McLaughlin have two daughters--Mary, born in Oneida County, N. Y., and Teresa, born near Dubuque, Iowa.
J. C. McNAUGHTON, Assistant Cashier of the First National Bank, Brownville, was born in Mercersberg, Franklin Co., Penn., September 18, 1846. His schooling was attained in Philadelphia, after which he spent two years in Young's printing office. During the civil war, he enlisted in the Sixty-third Pennsylvania Reserves (Grays), and served during Lee's invasion, doing service at Antietam, Gettysburg, Hagerstown and Falling Waters. During 1863, he was at Cairo, Ill., under Capt. J. L Carson, in the United States Commissary Department; began the next year as Clerk in Capt. Carson's Brownville Bank, and was made Assistant Cashier in 1871. Mr. McNaughton is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and K. of P., and has ever been active and earnest in promoting the welfare of all societies and organizations in the city. He married Eliza Nelson, of Huntsville, Ill., by whom he has three children--Ella, Guy and James, all born in Brownville.
G. MAHLE, farmer, Section 6, P. O. London was born in 1836 in Wurtemberg, Germany. He came to America at sixteen, working for a time in Ohio as a carpenter. From 1857 to 1860, he was in Iowa. Coming to Nebraska in 1860, he assisted Bird Vowel to plant the magnificent orchard on what is now the Loveless farm. In 1862, he enlisted in the Second Nebraska Volunteer Infantry, and, as one of the First Veteran Battalion, was attached to the First Nebraska, and saw much frontier service. At the end of the war he again settled in Nebraska, and in 1867 began improving his present farm. Mr. Mahle has created a most pleasant home here as the result of fifteen years of toil and devoted care of his interests. He married, in Jasper County, Iowa, Elizabeth Vowel, of Putnam County, Ind.
JACOB MAROHN, merchant tailor, Brownville, was born in 1822 in Strasburg, Prussia; learned his trade in his native land; came to America in 1853, locating at Logan, Ohio; moved to Brownville in 1857, finding a good town and plenty of business. He began in a log house, then used jointly as schoolhouse, church and court house, standing on the present site of Williams' butcher-shop. His present store, built in 1858, was fifteen feet above the present level of the street, and has been twice let down. In 1873-74, he was in St. Joseph, Mo. He is Lutheran, with his wife. Is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and I. O. O. F. By his wife, formerly Charlotte M. Eckart, he has five living children, the three oldest were born in Germany. The names are Otto, Amelia, Ferdinand, Luther and Helena.
JOHN MAXWELL, Superintendent of the Nemaha County Poor Farm, was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, and married Anna Wardrop, who was born in Renfrewshire, Scotland. They came to America in 1852, locating at Buffalo, N. Y.; from there they removed to Whiteside County, Ill.; thence, in 1868, to Nemaha County, Neb. Mr. Maxwell was elected to his present position in January, 1869, and has since continuously occupied it. He is the owner of 160 acres of fine land, part of which is platted in the site of Calvert, Nemaha County. Mrs. and Mrs. Maxwell have seven living children--John and Daniel, born in Scotland; William G., Agnes, Walter S. and Alexander K., born in Illinois; the youngest, Edward J., was born in Nemaha County, and all the children are residing in the county except Walter S., who is in Lincoln.