|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
|SECTION 19: Manufacturing (cont.)|
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
DAVID P. BURR, was born in Wilmington, Del., July 31, 1845. When one year of age, his parents moved to Milford, Del., where he lived six months and they then lived for seven years at Lewes, Del., and went from there to Dubuque, Iowa, where he lived until 1862. After five years' residence in Butler County, Iowa, he returned to Dubuque, and taught school there two years and a half. In 1869, he commenced traveling for the Buffalo Pitts Threshing Machine Co., and remained with them three years. In 1872 he went into the lumber and implement business at Cherokee, Iowa, and continued at it two years. He then went to Chicago and began traveling for the Chicago Pitts Threshing Machine Co., which he kept up until February, 1880. Then he came to Omaha, and has been in the implement business here since. He is secretary of the Omaha Implement Co. He was married at Dubuque, Iowa, June 3, 1869, to Susie Moreing, a native of that city. They have one child, Lulu. Mr. Burr is an A., F. & A. M. He was manager of the Metropolitan Printing Co., of Chicago, for one year prior to his engagement with the Pitts Co.
WILLIAM M. BUSHMAN, wholesale and retail dry goods merchant, was born at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., August 14, 1842, and lived there about one year. He moved with his parents to New York City, and remained there until October, 1848, when they came out to Fort Wayne, Ind. In the fall of 1864 Mr. Bushman went to St. Louis, and lived there a year, going from there to New Orleans, where he stayed a year. After a year's stop at Council Bluffs, he came to Omaha, and began a grocery business, but the death of his father called him back to Fort Wayne, where he remained till the spring of 1873. In that year he returned to Omaha and commenced his present dry goods business on Thirteenth street (Methodist Church Block). After one year in that location, he moved up next door to his present location, and has since been on the corner now occupied by him, Fifteenth and Douglas streets. He carries a heavy stock of goods, and is doing a large and constantly increasing business, being recognized as one of the leading dry goods merchants of the State.
JOHN H. BUTLER, was born in Jennings County, Ind., in 1842; learned trade of carpenter at Columbus Junction, Iowa, and was employed at it until he came West. Enlisted May, 1861, in Fifth Iowa Infantry, and was mustered into the service August, 1861; served some four and a half years; was wounded at battle of Iuka, Miss., and at Vicksburg. He came to Nebraska in 1868; located at Omaha; was employed as a carpenter by the U. P. R. R. For eighteen months, then commenced the contracting business in company with A. Buckbee; they conducted business together for seven years. He was then street commissioner for a year; then for two years was a contractor and builder; was then elected city marshal, which office he filled for two years; since then he has erected numerous private and business buildings, is now chief of police. He was married in Louisa County, Iowa, in 1876, to Mary E. VanDyke, a native of that county. They have three children, Carrie, Elizabeth, and John Garfield.
JOHN M. BUTLER, head clerk R. P. O. Railway Mail Service, was born in Sullivan County, Ind., November 27, 1856; came to Nebraska with his parents in 1858, locating at Pawnee City, Pawnee County, where he has since resided. He engaged in the harness and saddlery business until he was appointed to the Railway Mail Service, June, 1879. Mr. Butler is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Pawnee County.
AARON CAHN, of the firm of M. Hellman & Co., clothing dealers, was born in Nassau, Germany, in October, 1818; emigrated to America in 1848, and located in Hartford, Conn. After residing there for a time he removed to Cincinnati, Ohio, and lived there and in the vicinity about four years. He was married in Cincinnati, February 1, 1854, to Caroline Hellman, a native of Bavaria, Germany. They removed to Omaha in 1856, and Mr. Cahn has since been engaged in the clothing business. They have three children, Martin, Emanuel and Albert, the latter operating a wholesale clothing establishment in New York City, and the other two engaged in the clothing store of M. Hellman & Co., of Omaha. Mr. Cahn was a member of the Legislature in 1860-61, and is now a member of the A., F & A. M., the Congregation of Israel, Standard Club, Hebrew Benevolent Association, and is treasurer of the city of Omaha.
S. S. CALDWELL, banker, born at Marion, Wayne Co., N. Y., September 4, 1834; came to Omaha, Neb., in the spring of 1859, and became connected with the firm of Barrows, Millard & Co. afterward Millard, Caldwell & Co., now Caldwell, Hamilton & Co. Was Mayor in 1871. He was married in Tioga, Penn., to Henrietta M. Bush, April 23, 1863. They have two children, Victor Bush Caldwell, and Smith Samuel Caldwell.
THOMAS CALLAN, proprietor of the Grand Central Billiard Hall, 1307 Douglas street. He has four billiard and one pool table. He began business in 1875, having located in Omaha in 1874, and kept a saloon on Sixteenth street thirteen months. He moved in the Tremont House in spring of 1877, and kept the same until spring of 1882. He was born in Ireland, March 19, 1848; emigrated to America in 1863. He was married in Wyoming Co., Town Java, N. Y., in 1875, to Miss Alice Halligan, who is a native of the latter county. They have one son, named Arthur C. Mr. Callan is a member of the Hibernian Association of Omaha.
JAMES S. CAMERON, manager of the New American Sewing Machine Co., for Omaha and the State of Nebraska. The machines above referred to were first introduced in Nebraska in 1868. Mr. C., engaged with the above firm in April, 1879. He was born in Burlington, Iowa, February 12, 1846, where he lived until March 15, 1871. He was there employed in a telegraph office, and then took charge of a retail department of boots and shoes seven and one half years. He also was employed by E. D. Rand & Co., under Gen. D. Remick, to establish lumber-yards, which were established in Albia, Melrose, Canton and Oceola, Iowa--engagement lasted fifteen months. He located in Omaha in March, 1869, and first engaged as Superintendent of County Poor Farm. Then engaged in livery business two years. Then engaged with Wheeler & Wilson Manufacturing Co., six years. Then with the New American Sewing Machine Co. He was married in Sarpy County, Neb, December 27, 1871, to Isadore F. Watson, who was born in Michigan. They have three children, Anna M., Elisabeth F., and Selena M.
C. R. CAMPBELL, locomotive engineer, U. P. R. R., was born in Walworth County, Wis., March 10, 1857. Came to Nebraska with his parents in 1857, locating in Omaha. First engaged in railroading in May, 1875, a business he has since followed with the exception of one year. He was married in Omaha, December 30, 1880, to Miss Mitchell, of Omaha. Mr. C. is a member of the Brotherhood of Fireman.
JOHN D. CAMPBELL, engineer of engine number fifty-three on the Omaha, Niobrara & Black Hills R. R. He came to Omaha in 1865. Was born in Elkhorn Walworth Co., Wis. November 14, 1849; lived there until he was sixteen years old, then went to Omaha by land before there was a railroad built to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and assisted to drive through a lot of mules, arriving in Omaha December 14, 1865. He there worked for a butcher three years--Sheeley Bros. He then bought an express wagon and horses, and followed expressing two years in Omaha. He then took charge of a large herd of cattle about a year. Served in the Fire Department as driver of the Pioneer Hook and Ladder Co., and on bidding adieu to his associates, he was presented with a fine watch and chain as a token for good behavior and prompt attendance to business. He then engaged as locomotive fireman for the U. P. R. R., in spring, 1872. He followed the latter occupation four years, three years of which was for a passenger train, on engine number seventy-four, and only lost three trips during the whole time, which was caused by an accident, resulting in an injury to him. He then took charge of engine number seventy-five; soon changed to other engines. He has now run engine number fifty about four years without an accident. He has run his present engine number fifty-three, now over a year without an accident. He was married in Omaha, Neb., May 1, 1876, to Miss Catharine M. Hoel, who was born near Cincinnati, Ohio. She is a daughter of Ex-Sheriff A. R. Hoel, of Douglas County, Neb. They had four children; Carrie C., Robert D., Lucy M., and Nellie E. Mr. C. is a member of Covert Lodge No. 11, of Omaha; also of the Chapter and Council No. 1, same place. He is also a member of Beacon Lodge No. 20, I. O. O. F.; also of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division 183, of Omaha, which is a mutual insurance association. He is also an honorary member of Hook and Ladder Co., of which he was once a driver. His home is in Omaha, Neb.
GEORGE CANFIELD, proprietor Canfield House. There are fifty-five rooms in the hotel, and can accommodate 100 guests; employes twenty hands. Mr. C. opened April 26, 1879. The hotel was first opened in 1867. Mr. C., first located in the Elkhorn Valley July 3, 1865, and built the first frame house in that vicinity above West Point. He lived there one year and then moved to North Bend and opened the first eating-house on the U. P. R. R. there. Remained sixteen months, and then went to Grand Island and kept the eating-house two years then went to West Point and kept hotel about fourteen months, sold out and went to Wisner sixteen miles above and built the hotel of the latter name, which he kept five years, then moved to Omaha and kept the St. Charles Hotel three years, then went into his present place. He was married in Saginaw County, Mich., April 26, 1864, to Miss Lucy A. Rhodes. She was born in the State of new York. They have one son and one daughter, named Sherman D. and Lizzie.
MARTIN CANNON, farmer; residence west side Wheaton street between Cuming and Indiana streets, Omaha. He was born in Ohio in 1844. Was married at Lexington, Ohio, January, 1869, to Miss Ellen McShane. They have seven children. Mr. C. has a large farm of 700 acres eight miles from the city of Omaha, which he operates entirely himself, employing several men and teams. He is also an extensive stockraiser and dealer. In addition to his farm he is a partner in a meatmarket near corner of Sixteenth and California streets, Omaha, having associated with himself in the business Mr. Fred. Hendrickson.
LEVI CARTER, capitalist, came to Nebraska City in 1856, engaging until 1867 in the freighting business. He settled in Omaha in 1867. Since 1862 his chief occupation has been freight and tie contracting, he and Gen. Coe of Nebraska City having been associated in this occupation. They are still engaged in tie contracting and cattleraising in western Nebraska. They have between 8,000 and 9,000 head of cattle, all domestic stock. Mr. Carter is a native of New Hampton, Belknap Co., N. H.
LEMUEL H. CASE, proprietor of feed and sale stables, Nos. 509 and 511 Thirteenth street, Capacity of barn, fifty head horses. He began in his present place in October, 1877. He was born in Simsbury, Hartford Co., Conn., July 4, 1824. His parents lived there until 1833, when they moved to Ashtabula County, Ohio, where he lived until 1844. He then went on the lakes and followed sailing nine years, first before the mast four years, mate four years, and one year as captain, after which he engaged in farming in Michigan two years. Then went to Marion County, Ill., and farmed two years. His wife being in poor health, he returned to Ohio and lived one year, after which he moved to Bellevue, Neb., in 1857 and engaged in carpenter work and bridge building. In the fall of 1857 he assisted to build the bridges on the military road between Platte River and Omaha reservation. He then followed farming and carpenter work two years; then went to freighting across the country to Denver, Colo., beginning in fall of 1861, and followed the same until March, 1865, after which he followed bridge building, etc., until he went into the Checkered Barn in 1870, and remained one year. Then went to carpentering and bridge building until he began the above business. He went to the Black Hills in season of 1877 with his son who had the consumption, being gone four months. His son died in Omaha October 1, 1877. He was married in Ashtabula County, Ohio, in 1850, to Miss Mary Nye, who is a native of Otsego County, N. Y. They had six children, Marietta, Edgar L., Edgar, John H. and Thomas A., all deceased, and Lillie Case now living. Mr. C., is a member of the Masonic Lodge No. 1 of Nebraska, also a member of the I. O. O. F., Sarpy Lodge No. 15.
LARRUE CASSIDY, fireman of engine No. 1, Omaha steamer. He first located in Omaha March 17, 1878, and engaged in cistern making two years. Then joined the fire department in his present place. He was born in Venango County, Pa., May 1, 1843. He enlisted, August 6, 1862, in Company B, Twenty-eighth Iowa Infantry Volunteers, and participated in the battles of Port Gibson, Miss., siege and capture of Vickburg, Miss. Port Hudson, Sabine Cross Roads, Winchester, Va., and Fisher's Hill, Va., and many skirmishes. Was mustered out July 12, 1875. He was married in Marengo County, Iowa, November 5, 1867, to Miss Rosanna J. Gorby, who was born in Pittsburgh, Pa., May 10, 1845. They have five children, Larrue, Orville L., Ettie M., Myra L. and Carroll S.
ALBERT M. CHADWICK, County Judge, came to Omaha in 1877 and has been a practitioner since 1879; he was born in St. Johnsbury, Vt., December 4, 1854, and graduated from Amherst College in 1872; he read law with Redick & Connell, and was admitted to the bar in 1879; November 8, 1881, he was elected County Judge for Douglas County.
SAMUEL J. CHAMBERS, veterinary surgeon; office at Checkered Barn, residence on Sherman Ave. Mr. C. Has made a life business at the above profession; he settled in Omaha in the winter of 1878; born in Birmingham, England, December 8, 1850; he learned his profession the latter country under the tutelage of his father, Samuel Chambers, Sr., who was also a veterinary surgeon of note in Europe; he emigrated to America in 1869, located in Davenport, Iowa, and practiced one year; then to Junction City, two and a half years.; then to San Francisco, Cal., and from there to Humboldt Bay and remained five years, practiced a share of the time and contracted, etc.; he then went to Alexandria, La., and practiced six months, after which he traveled one year, practiced, and finally located in Omaha as above stated. He was married in Council Bluffs, Iowa, October, 1879, to Miss Mary J. Williams, who was born in Indiana. He was a member of the American Legion of Honor No. 320 of Omaha council in Nebraska.
HON. CHAMPION S. CHASE was born in Cornish, N. H., in early life he worked on a farm, but subsequently received a liberal education at the Kimball Union Institute, Meriden, N. H. And commenced life for himself as teacher of the Academy at Amsterdam, N. Y., he studied law at Buffalo, and was admitted to the bar at Canandaigua in the same State; he then went West and commenced the practice of law at Racine, Wis. about the first of May, 1848. On motion of Daniel Webster, he was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of the United States at Washington, in 1851; two years later, the Governor of Wisconsin appointed him Brigadier General of the State Militia. He was in the same year, 1853, elected President of the Racine Board of Education. He took active part in politics, and in 1856 we find him at Philadelphia as one of the delegates to the National Republican Convention which nominated Fremont for the Presidency; he was, in the same year, elected to the State Senate, to which he served as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, and in 1858, as such chairman, supervised the revision of the Statutes of the State. In 1859 he was elected States Attorney of the First Judicial District of Wisconsin. In 1862, President Lincoln appointed him Paymaster U. S. A., and in 1865 he was promoted to the rank of Colonel in acknowledgment of his distinguished services during the Gulf campaign. He came to Nebraska in 1866, and settled down in Omaha as an attorney, in 1867 he was appointed Attorney General for the State, an office he held for two years, and in which he gave general satisfaction; in 1869 he was elected for six years one of the Regents of the State university; in 1874 he was chosen by an overwhelming majority, in every ward, Mayor of Omaha, and was, in April, 1875, re-elected to the same post for a term of two years, in 1879 he was elected Mayor for the third time, for two years; Since his retirement from that office he has devoted his time to his private business and to his profession.
PETER J. CHRISTIANSEN, blacksmith, wagon and horseshoing shop, was born in Denmark in 1853; he learned the trade of blacksmith there, serving as apprenticeship of four years, after which he served for three years in the Danish army; was then employed at his trade until he came to America in 1876; was employed farming in Whiteside County, Ill, for nearly two years; came to Nebraska in January, 1879, located in Franklin County and was engaged in farming, etc., until he came to Omaha in February, 1880; was employed as a laborer for a few months; in September, 1880, purchased present business, which he has conducted since. Mr. Christiansen was married at Omaha, Neb., in November, 1880, to Hannah Anderson, a native of Denmark.
OLE J. CHRISTERSEN, of the firm of Lorenson & Christeren, meat market, 101 S. Tenth street, Omaha, was born in Schleswig, Germany, 1855; in 1875 he came to America, and in February, 1880, he came to Omaha, where he subsequently engaged in his present business, which he so ably represents. In 1881 he was married to Miss E. Christina Peterson, in Omaha; She was born in Schleswig, 1854.
JOHN CHISTOPHERSON, local mail agent in Omaha Railway Mail Service, was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, March 3, 1837; came to United State, April, 1865, located in Davenport, Iowa, and from there moved to Omaha, Nebraska, in February, 1867; was member of the Omaha Police Force about four years; appointed to the Railway Mail Service, April 1, 1875. Mr. C. is a member of the Danish Association of Omaha.
A. D. CLARKE, purchasing agent of the U. P. R. R.
D. O. CLARK, superintendent of the coal department of the U. P. R. R., was born in Oswego County, N. Y., December 31, 1841; about 1854, removed with his parents to Belvidere, Ill.; enlisted in 1861 in Company G, Thirty-Sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; served until October, 1862, when he was discharged on account of disability, caused by wounds received at the battle of Pea Ridge, Ark. In 1863, he removed to Hannibal., Mo., where he held a position as book keeper for C. O. Godfrey & Co., coal merchants; in 1867, he was appointed superintendent of Union Coal Mining Co., at Ottumwa, Iowa; in 1868 he removed to Nebraska, settling in Omaha and engaging with the Wyoming Coal and Mining Co.; has held present position since 1874. Mr. C. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, and of A. A. S. R. 320.
FRED'K L. CLARK, draughtsman of Union Pacific R. R., was born in Boston, Mass., April 7, 1829. He served an apprenticeship of seven years as an architect and builder in Boston, from which time he carried on business for himself up to 1856, when he came to Nebraska and first engaged as an architect and builder in Dakota City for one year. He then took up his residence in Covington, in same county, carrying on his business in Sioux City, Iowa, and built the first brick dwelling in that place, now occupied by G. E. R. Kirk. At the time of his coming to Covington there were but five white men besides himself and brother on this side of the Missouri River in Nebraska. At the breaking out of our late Rebellion he and his brother were the only white men who would volunteer to carry Government despatches calling for troops from Sioux City to Fort Randolph, a distance of 125 miles. They accomplished the trip successfully by riding at nights and lying by during the day, the Indians at that time being very troublesome. In 1870 he built Cheyenne Agency for the U. S. Government, and in 1871 designed all the building in the Winnebago Agency in Nebraska. He continued his business in Sioux City up to 1876, when he came to Omaha and went into the employ of the Union Pacific R. R., in the car department, for four years, after which he became employed as draughtsman, and has continued the same up to the present time. Was a member of King Solomon Lodge, A., F. & A. M., and also the Chapter of "The Chachena" at Chelsea, Mass., is a member of Presbyterian Church of Omaha. Held the office of Justice of the Peace in Covington, Neb., for six years. Was also a member of School Board in Covington, and helped organize District No. 11 in 1866, and also a member again in 1870-71-72. Married Miss Mary A. Downing, of Boston, March 4, 1864. Had four children, three living--Cora, Nellie and Laverne; and one deceased, George G., who was connected with General Ticket Office at U. P. R. R. headquarters.
JOHN MURCHIE CLARKE, dealer in real estate, located in Omaha, Neb., August, 1856, and began the real estate business in 1864, after the initial point of the U. P. R. R. had been established by Abraham Lincoln, then President of the United States. He first engaged in a commission business for about five years, after which he began to buy and sell largely in real estate on his own account. He has been a notary public for twenty-four years consecutively, and his present commission will expire January 1, 1888. He was born in Manchester, Chesterfield Co., Va., March 7, 1808. Was married in Pittsburgh, Pa., March 7, 1831, to Miss Mary B. James, who was born in Fredericksburg, Va. They have six children--two sons and four daughters--Edwin C., Clarence J., Imogene B., Virginia H., Gertrude L. and Medora S. They have all married except the eldest. They have ten grandchildren and two-great grandchildren.
JOHN T. CLARKE, with the firm of Lee, Fried & Co., was born at Bellevue, Neb., December 28, 1861. He lived there until 1875, when he came to Omaha and clerked for Irwin & Ellis, with whom he remained for two years. The next six months he spent at Sidney, Neb., having charge of a wholesale grocery store, which his father had at that point. He then attended the Omaha Business College, from which he graduated, going thence to Camp Clark on the Sidney & Black Hills stage route, and took charge of his father's business at that point. He then returned to Irwin & Ellis, remaining there until August, 1880. At that time he joined his present house, his father being a partner therein.
[Portrait of Robert A. Clarkson]
RIGHT REV. ROBERT A. CLARKSON, D. D. and L. L. D., Episcopal Bishop of Nebraska and Dakota, born at Gettysburg, Penn., November 19, 1826, graduated at Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg, Penn., in 1844, and in his theological studies at St. James College, Maryland, in 1848, and was ordained by Bishop Whittingham of that State shortly afterwards. He was Rector of St. James Episcopal Church, Chicago, Ill., from 1849 to 1865, was consecrated Bishop of Nebraska and Dakota, November 15, 1865, and since that time has resided at Omaha. He has been a trustee of Racine College, Wisconsin, and Nashotah Theological College, Wisconsin, for the past twenty-five years. Established Nebraska College, Nebraska City, in 1866, and Brownell Hall, in 1866, in Omaha, and has been president of the board of trustees since of both institutions, and has also built in the States of Nebraska and Dakota about fifty Episcopal Churches. Received degree of D. D. at the Racine College, Wisconsin, in 1856, and degree of LL. D. at University of Nebraska, at Lincoln, Neb., in 1872. Was married in Hagerstown, Md., May 8, 1849, to Meliora McPherson, native of Frederick, Md. They have two children--Mary, wife of the Rev. F. R. Millspaugh, and Nellie, wife of F. H. Davis.
NEWTON CLARK, U. S. Government Storekeeper, Willow Springs Distillery, was born in Laporte County, Ind., December 8, 1834. Was engaged in farming until 1857, when he removed to Nebraska, locating at Fort Calhoun. Returned to Indiana in 1860, and finally settled in Nebraska in 1866. Was appointed superintendent of Indian School at Winnebago Agency in 1874. Held the position one year, then returned to Fort Calhoun and engaged in milling and farming until he received his present appointment in 1880. He was married in Laporte County, Ind., in 1856, to Miss A. Vernette, Hagenbuck. She died in Omaha, April 21, 1881, leaving five children: Charles W., Grace, Judith B., Edward H. Louhelen. Mr. Clark was a member of the A., F. & A. M. Died March 1, 1882.
NOAH S. CLARK, locomotive engineer of the U. P. R. R., was born in Haddam, Conn., December 23, 1849. Was employed for some years on steamboats as oiler and engineer, principally on Hartford & New York Line. Came to Omaha, Neb., and located in 1873. Was in the employ of the Linseed Oil Works as engineer for about one year, and at the Grand Central Hotel in the same capacity for two years. Entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. as foreman in 1877. Remained in that capacity three years and four months. Was then promoted to engineer, and has occupied that position ever since. Was married at Omaha, August 12, 1876, to Miss Minnie M. Hawes, formerly of Massachusetts. Have no children living.
HENRY CLAY, foreman and chief engineer of Lead Works, Omaha. He was born in Burlington, Vt., in 1840, leaving there when eighteen years old. He went to Wisconsin, remaining a short time. He then went to Illinois, where he began to learn his trade on the Illinois Central R. R., working as foreman till 1861, when he enlisted in Company C., Thirteenth Illinois Volunteers, serving three years and nine months, ten months of which he was in Andersonville prison, having been captured at Clayville, Ala. When he was released his time had expired. He then enlisted in Hancock's Veteran Reserve Corps as a private, being afterwards promoted to Corporal. He served till the end of the rebellion, when he was honorably discharged. During the first term of service he was in the Western Department, being in most of the engagements that occurred in that section during the first three years of the war. During his last term he was located at and around Washington, D. C., New York city, and other places in that section. After his discharge he returned to Illinois, and again went to work for the Illinois Central R. R., being employed as engineer, remaining till 1871, when he went to Chicago, being employed as engineer in Crane Bros. Manufacturing Co. He held this position till the summer of 1880, when he went to Leadville and other places in Colorado. He then came to Omaha, and was employed as chief engineer of the White Lead Works. Held this position till September 1881, when he was made foreman of the works, in addition to his other position. He married Miss Kie Bailey, at Courtland, Ill., in 1871. They have one child, Florence E.
C. S. CLOPP, postal clerk in R. R. mail service, born in Canada in 1845. In 1851 moved with his parents to Watertown, N. Y., and from there to Rochester, N. Y., where he learned telegraphing. In May, 1866, he moved to Nebraska, and in 1873 engaged in general merchandise business, of which he still retains an interest. In 1879 received his present appointment, and runs from Omaha to Denver. Is a member of Lodge No. 45, A., F. & A. M.
THOMAS S. COFFEY, shipping clerk, Paxton & Gallagher, Omaha. Mr. Coffey was born and reared in Chicago. In 1874 he came to Nebraska, and has been connected with the business industries of the State since. Has been engaged with the present firm for the last two years.
REV. AUGUSTINE M. COLANERI, private secretary to the Rt. Rev. James O'Connor, D. D., born in Rome, Italy, February 28, 1853. Was educated at the Roman College; thence came to America in 1871, and was a professor in two different colleges in Montreal; he completed his theological course in the Grand Seminary of St. Sulpice, where he was ordained priest by Bishop E. Fabre of that place. Was then assistant priest in the Church of the Sacred Heart, Montreal, for two years, and was for three months private secretary of Bishop G. Conroy, special envoy of the Pope Pius IX to Canada. Was called to Nebraska in June, 1878, located at Omaha, and has been private secretary of Bishop J. O'Connor since that time.
M. G. COLE, R. P. O., Clerk Railway Mail Service, came to Nebraska in 1862, locating in Omaha, and engaged in Quartermaster's department at post harness maker, retaining this position about two years. Was appointed to his present position in 1875. Is on the Omaha & Kearney route. Mr. Cole is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
SETH T. COLE was born in New York City, April 22, 1843. Removed to Catskill, N. Y., in 1859. In 1861, he enlisted at Albany in Company I, Forty-fourth Regiment Volunteer Infantry and served three years and four months, during this time he participated in all the marches and engagements of his regiment. Was wounded at the second Bull Run, at Gettysburg and in the Wilderness. On his return to New York he engaged with the P. M. S. S. Co., and remained about one and one-half years. Then went to Brazil, South America, and shipped in the Brazilian navy, being commissioned second assistant engineer. Remained in this service only a few months, then returned to the United States and re-entered the service of the P. M. S. S. Co., Went to California, and from there to Peru, South America, when he engaged for a few months with Meigs in his railroad enterprises. Returned to the United States and to New York City, and made one trip in a steamer to Tampico, Mexico. Returned to Galveston, Texas, and in 1868 settled in Omaha, Neb., and for two years kept the New England House. Was then appointed to a position in the United States Railway Postal Service, a position he retained about four years. Then kept the Planters' House about four years, sold out and was appointed trader for the Shoshone and Bannock Indians, resigning in a few months, and returned to Omaha. He was married in Omaha, in 1868, to Miss Justin C. Majo. She was from Milwaukee, Wis. They have three children, Catherine, William and Louisa. Mr. C. is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
A. M. COLLETT, general foreman car and building department, U. P. R. R., is a native of England, and came to the United States in 1857, he served an apprenticeship as a carpenter in Beloit, Wis. During our late civil war, he worked for two years in the construction corps of the U. S. Government, at Chattanooga, Tenn. In 1865 he worked in the shops of the C. & N. W. R. R., and in 1867 he came to Omaha, and was engaged as a machine hand in the shops of U. P. R. R. Was promoted to foreman of the wood work and machinery department, and in 1870 was made general foreman of the car and building department. Married Miss Mary Ann Kriebs of Iowa, in 1867. They have three children, Minnie A., Paulina and Austin.
S. CORNFIELD, barber shop, No. 609 Sixteenth street, Omaha, Neb. Mr. C. was born in Woolwich, England, 1855, came to this country with his people, who settled in New York State, 1857. In 1878 he came here and has successfully followed his profession since. In 1875, he was married to Miss Augusta Kahn, who was born in Pennsylvania, 1857. They have one daughter, Minnie.
ISAAC E. CONGDON, Manderson & Congdon, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, March 1, 1856. Removed with his father to Springfield, Ill., in 1861, and in 1866 to Omaha, Neb. His father I. H. Congdon, was connected with the T. W. & W. R. R. R. in Springfield, and in Omaha, became connected with the U. P. R. R. From 1866 to 1870 the subject of this sketch was a resident in New Hampshire with relatives engaged in a preparatory course of schooling. He afterward took a preparatory and collegiate course at Cornell College, Mount Vernon, Iowa, graduating in 1876 with A. B. Degree. Received the A. M. Degree from his Alma Mater in 1879. In 1876 he entered Harvard law school, remaining two years. In 1878 he settled in Omaha, entered the office of Gen. Mandersen. Was admitted to the bar in March, 1879, and was taken into partnership by Gen. Manderson January 1, 1880.
I. H. CONGDON, general master mechanic of U. P. R. R., is a native of Massachusetts, and was born in Granville, Hampden Co., June 1, 1833. At the age of fourteen he commenced his trade of machinist in a general machine shop. In 1851-52 he was employed in the shops of the Cleveland, Columbus & Cincinnati R. R. In 1853 he was appointed general foreman of the R. R. Shops of same road, and remained as such until 1860, when he was appointed master mechanic of the G. W. R. R. of Illinois. In 1866 he was appointed to his present position of general master mechanic of the U. P. R. R.
J. R. CONKLING, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in New Jersey, October 5, 1835. In 1844 he removed to Illinois, and resided in McHenry County until he came to Nebraska and located at Tekamah in the spring of 1859. He lived in Tekamah four years, and was then appointed post surgeon at Fort Kearney, which position he held about eight months, and then in December, 1863, located in Omaha, since which time he has been in practice. The Dr. received his medical education at Rush Medical College of Chicago, in 1859. Was married at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., to Miss Jennie Hanscom. Was clerk of Burt County in 1859, and was Deputy Treasurer of that county one year and elected Treasurer in 1861, holding that position for two years. The Doctor is State Medical Examiner of the Knights of Honor for Nebraska.