was created July 20, 1869, by an order of the
county board which designated the establishment should take effect on
the first of March, 1870.
In may be stated here that
in the orders creating the several towns the county board from time
to time, fixed various dates when their orders should take effect, but
in every case, no town was organized until the first town meeting day
of the first Tuesday of April subsequent to the adoption of the order
of the board.
town of Eaton, the eighth to be made, was named for
Elijah Eaton, one of the early settlers, and the first town meeting
was held at the house of S. C. Honeywell, known familiarly through the
county as "Case" Honeywell. Eaton now comprises one congressional township
being town 26, N. of R. 2 west.
was within the limits of the present town of Eaton that the first entry
of land was made in the county of Clark. Lot number 6 in Section No.
3, Town 26, Range 2 W, was entered at the U. S. land office, by Hiram
Pitts on the 28th day of September, 1849.
entry is some two years earlier than the entry of James O’Neill, of
the land where Neillsville is located.
land entered by Pitt is on the west side of Black River opposite the
city of Greenwood and the same land upon which Robert Schofield and
Schofield and Weston had their sawmill many years after.
Robert McBride's History
of Clark County, WI