The Butterfield Family


Documents


Home

Butterfield:
 
American Family
  Benjamin V
  Benjamin V Will
  Benjamin VI Will
  Jane E. Memorial
  John Stagecoach
  Justus F. (Jet) History
  Levi Will
  Samuel Will
  Eyer, Ray Fire
  Map Chelmsford, MA

Estate Checks:
  Page 1
  Page 2
  Page 3
  Page 4
  Page 5
  Page 6
  Page 7
  Page 8
  Page 9
  Page 10
  Page 11

 

American Butterfield Family


Benjamin Butterfield, from whom the American family chiefly derived issue, was at Charlestown, in the Bay Colony, in 1638. He probably married in England and brought a little family with him. His name appears among the first town orders of Woburn, and in 1643, he was made a Freedman. In 1645, we find his name on the Woburn tax list. In 1652, the inhabitants of Woburn petitioned for leave to explore the west side of the Concord river. The report was, "a very comfortable place to accommodate a company of God's people." In 1653, Benjamin Butterfield headed a petition of twenty-nine, including the petitioners of the preceding year, for a tract of land six miles square. :to begin at the Merrimack river, at a neck of land nest to Concord river," to run southerly on Concord river and westerly into the wild country. The spot was known to the natives as Naamkeek. The Indian apostle, Rev. John Eliot, about the same time received a grant of " the Great Neck," lying between Pawtucket falls on the Merrimack and the Massic falls on the Concord, as a reserve for the Christianized Indians. This tract was known as Wamesit. The six mile tract was occupied in 1654 by Butterfield and his associates, and in 1655 was incorporated as Chelmsford. The line between the Indians and the Whites was run "on the east side of Butterfield's high way," and was marked by a ditch. On this highway Benjamin Butterfield pitched his farm and built his house, somewhere within the limits of what is now ward iv., Lowell. In 1656, he is named as one of the citizens of Chelmsford, to whom the Gov. Dudley farm of 1500 acres in Billerica was conveyed. In 1661 his wife died, and 3 June, 1663, he married, 2d, Hannah, the widow of Thomas Whittemore, of Cambridge. In 1666, Newfields, a tract of 241 acres of intervale, across Stony brook and extending up the Merrimack, was granted to Chelmsford. Of this, perhaps the best land in the growing town, Benjamin Butterfield obtained 42 acres, the largest share of any one person. In 1686 the Indian reservation, Wamesit, was purchased by the whites. Three of Butterfield's sons, Nathaniel, Samuel, and Joseph, were among the grantees (Mdx. Deeds, x.19). This territory, which had been occupied by Wanalancit and his tribe as a cornfield and fishing station, is now occupied by the manufactories of Lowell. The purchase included, also, 500 acres upon the north and east side of the Merrimack, of "Wilderness" land, a general term for the unsettled country outside incorporated limits. Nathaniel and Samuel Butterfield settled on the Wamesit lands, and Joseph in the wilderness, between Tying's pond and the river.

Copyright 2006 T. Risinger

Contact the Webmaster