NEGenWeb Project Resource Center

1890-1 Business Directory & Farmer's List of the Nebraska State Gazetteer 



City of Omaha - introduction

   Industry, Manufactures


   Parks, Public Squares

   Commerce, Finance

   Libraries, Newspapers


City Government

   City Officers

   Street Railroads



Department of the Platte (US Military in Nebraska)


     Omaha (population 139,405), the metropolis of Nebraska, and the "Gate City of the West," is situated on the west bank of the Missouri river, in Douglas county, of which it is the county seat. It is built upon what is supposed to be the site of the council with the Indians, held by Lewis and Clarice in 1802, and from which the city of Council Bluffs, on the opposite side of the river, takes its name. Omaha is about midway between Chicago on the east and Denver on the west -- about 500 miles, and nearly the same distance northwest from St. Louis; it is thus one of the most central of the great cities of the country. It was founded in 1854, but made comparatively small progress until the opening of the Union Pacific Railway to travel from the Atlantic to the Pacific coasts made the advantages of its position apparent. Since that time its advance toward greatness has been onward and upward with increasing rapidity. The appearance of the city from the opposite side of the river is imposing. In the foreground are the bottom lands, along which are to be seen immense trains of railway cars, laden with merchandise, passing to and fro. There too are the various buildings of the Omaha and Grant Smelting and Refining Cos works, the largest establishment of the kind in the world. Also, the immense workshops of the Union Pacific Railway, and numerous other manufacturing establishments. On the high and rolling land in the background rises the main body of the city, with its many grand buildings and church spires towering in the air, or rising above the tops of the many shade trees which beautify the city. Two magnificent iron bridges span the Missouri here, the Union Pacific railway and wagon bridge, over which constantly flows the mighty tide of migration across the continent, and the Omaha and Council Bluffs electric railway and wagon bridge, over which the products of western Iowa are borne to supply the markets of Omaha, the vehicles returning laden with supplies from the great city, and frequent trains of electric cars carry passengers between the two cities. Upon entering Omaha we find ourselves treading finely paved streets and surrounded by a busy throng of active, energetic people, substantial and elegant buildings on every side, stores filled with goods from every clime,

and all the appliances of modern civilization, and can scarcely realize the fact that some are living here who remember when the buffalo, the deer and the wolf were hunted by the Indian over the hills, the bluffs and the prairies where this great city, occupying an area of 241 square miles and with a population of 140,000 souls, now stands. The streets are broad, cleanly, well lighted, and many of them excellently paved with granite, Colorado sandstone, asphaltum, or cedar, or cypress locks, making fine drives and roadways. The total of graded streets in the city amounts to 110 miles, over 50 miles of which are paved. Eleven miles of paving were done during 1889, at a cost of $522,632, and about the same amount in 1890. The aggregate cost of paving from 1883 to 1889 was $3,182,952. The streets, with but few exceptions, run due north and south, or east and west.
   In the business section they are 100 feet wide, Capitol avenue being 120 feet in width, and in other portions generally 80 feet. The north and south streets are numbered, beginning at the river and counted westward to Sixtieth street. Dodge street is the dividing line between the north and south streets. The east and west streets are named from early settlers, prominent citizens, etc. The houses are numbered on the central system, each block beginning a hundred. The odd numbers are on the east and south, and the even numbers on the west and north sides of the streets.. The portion of the city lying between the railway tracks on the south and Nicholas street on the north, from Sixteenth street eastward, is devoted almost exclusively to business purposes. South Thirteenth, South Sixteenth and Leavenworth streets and St. Marys avenue on the South and southwest , and North Sixteenth, Cuming and North Twenty-fourth streets on the north and northwest, are also prominent business streets, radiating from the commercial center into the resident portions of the city. Shade trees abound on the residence streets, protecting the pedestrian from the heat of the summer sun, and, with the flowers and luxuriant grass on handsome lawns, tend to fill the hearts of men with content and gladness. Two great viaducts, one on South Eleventh street, 1,300 feet in length, and built of iron at a cost of $90,000, the other





on South Sixteenth street, a wooden structure 1,500 feet long, span the tracks of the Union Pacific railway and the Burlington & Missouri River railroad, and facilitate travel to and from the southern part of the city. The construction of another splendid viaduct has been commenced on South Tenth street, in the vicinity of the Union depot. The cost, it is estimated, will be about $250,000. The health of the city is good, and will compare favorably with any city of its size in the country. This is to be attributed to the purity of the atmosphere, it being 1,000 feet above the level of the sea, the abundant supply of excellent water and generally favorable conditions. These are promoted by good drainage and extensive sewerage. What are known as the Waring and the combined systems are in use. There are now nearly 73 miles of sewers which have cost $1,217,173.
   PARKS AND PUBLIC SQUARES. -- From the earliest organization of our city the importance of public squares and parks as places of rest and recreation has been appreciated and provided for. Those who platted the city donated Jefferson Square, bounded by Fifteenth, Chicago, Sixteenth and Cass streets, for that purpose. During the past year it has been artistically laid out, greatly beautified and rendered quite attractive. The principal pleasure ground in the city is Hanscom Park, in the southwestern part of the city, which was generously donated some years since by Messrs. A. J. Hanscom and J. G. Megeath. It covers an area of 80 acres and is of great natural beauty, which is greatly enjoyed by the multitudes who resort to its sylvan shade and throng its winding avenues during the summer season. The park commissioners have begun a series of improvements that will render it still more attractive, by developing the natural beauties of its scenery, and adding much that only artistic skill and taste can supply. The improvements already made in the beautiful driveways and the romantic little lake with its sparkling fountain excite pleasant anticipation of what will be accomplished in the future. Bemis Park is a romantic little glen in the northwestern part of the city, whose beauties are highly appreciated by those residing in that vicinity, and which will be improved as rapidly as the

park commissioners feel it can be wisely done. it was donated to the city by George P. Bemis Esq, and others. Spring Lake Park, owned by the South Omaha Land Co., gives the residents of the southern part of the city, and those of South Omaha delightful resort. where, they can enjoy the beauties of nature embellished by art. Several other donations of land for park purposes in different parts of the city have been made by public spirited citizens. Of all the beautiful grounds about the city none other are so sacred, and with none other are such tender memories associated, as where the remains of loved ones are laid to rest. Prospect Hill Cemetery, the oldest of the public burial grounds of the city, is situated on a commanding eminence in the northwestern part of Omaha. Many beautiful and costly monuments testify to the affectionate remembrance of loving friends. An association of the lot holders has lately been formed to place and keep the grounds in good condition. Forest Lawn Cemetery is located immediately north of the city limits, five miles northwest of the Omaha postoffice and one mile south of the town of Florence. The grounds are somewhat rolling, with a beautiful stream flowing through them from west to east. Fine groves of young trees also form a pleasing picture. The avenues are arranged with artistic taste as well as for convenience. The officials of the company have supervision over the placing of all adornments, etc. Although a new cemetery, it is already the favorite place of burial, and many beautiful tombs and monuments are being placed in memory of the departed. Mount Hope Cemetery is located on the Military road, five and one-half miles northwest from the postoffice. The cemetery association has purchased 128 acres of land, of which 62 acres are now platted and being improved and ornamented. Several other burial grounds, not so public in their connections, are located in or near the city.
   PUBLIC AND OTHER BUILDINGS. -- The number of magnificent buildings in Omaha attracts the attention of strangers and is a just source of pride to her citizens. The county Court House is a fine structure, which stands upon an eminence bounded by Farnam, South Seventeenth, Harney and South Eighteenth streets. Its architectural



beauty and its great dome towering in the air make it one of the most prominent features in a view of the city. It is built of stone and cost $300,000. The City Hall which is located on the southeast corner of Farnam and South Eighteenth streets, is now in course of construction. It will be six stories in height, and built of Dodlin granite. It will be a beautiful building, especially adapted to the wants of the growing city, and will cost $400,000 when completed. The United States Government building, Southwest corner of Fifteenth and Dodge streets, is a neat and substantial stone structure, 60x122 feet in dimensions, built in 1873 at a cost of $269,000. It is occupied on the first -floor by the postoffice, on the Second by the internal revenue and other officers, on the third by the United States district court, signal service office, etc. Its dimensions are so entirely inadequate to the present and future wants of the community that the government has determined to erect a magnificent building to cost $1,500,000 on the block of ground bounded by North Sixteenth, Dodge and North Seventeenth streets and Capitol avenue. 'The site has been purchased recently at a cost of $500,000, and work will probably be commenced upon it during the year 1891. The county -hospital has just been completed at a cost of $100,000. It is built of brick and stone, cottage style of architecture, and is located two and one-miles west of the Court House. The Nebraska State Institute for the Deaf and Dumb is located near the northwestern limits of the City. Three suitable brick buildings afford accommodations sufficient for 150 pupils; 123 were in attendance in 1889. The institute is surrounded by an inclosure containing 23 acres of well kept grounds; it has its own system of water works, and the buildings are provided with fire escapes and are heated by steam and lighted by electricity. The value of the property is $115,400, The High School is a remarkably fine building, of which the citizens of Omaha are justly proud. It is located on Capitol Hill, in the center of the city, and surrounded by a beautiful campus of ten acres, ex-tending from Dodge to Davenport, and from North Twentieth to North Twenty-second streets. It is four stories high and can accommodate 800 pupils. The tower affords a mag-

nificent view of the surrounding country. The building is of brick and cost $250,000. The total number of school buildings is fifty-two, many of which are handsome, commodious and substantial brick structures. The total cost of these buildings exceeds $750,000, and the estimated value of the grounds upon which they are erected is $1,500,000. in addition to the public buildings already mentioned are many others which for magnitude, architectural beauty and skillful construction would compare favorably with those of any of the great cities of the world. Attention is called to a few of the newest and most prominent. The New York Life Insurance Companys building, northeast corner of Farnam and South Seventeenth Streets, was completed July, 1889. It is a fire proof brick building, ten stories high, with a basement and sub-basement, and cost $1,000,000. It is occupied almost exclusively for office purposes. The Omaha Real Estate Exchange transacts its business on the first floor. The Bee building, northwest corner Farnam and South Seventeenth streets, was completed in the summer of 1889, and is considered the finest newspaper building in the world. It is eight stories high, 132 by 132 feet in dimensions and cost $400,000. On entering the building one is at once struck with the beauty and thoroughness of every detail. The grand marble staircase at the main entrance leads to the first or principal story, where the counting room of the Bee is located. The beautiful wrought iron screen work of the elevator system and the handsome electro-bronze staircase surrounding the elevator; the richly tiled halls and marble wainscoting; and, beyond all this, the glimpse through the great arches of the imposing central court, which diffuses light through the central part of the building, all combine to impress the beholder most favorably. The interior of this building is rendered so attractive by the court that one is inclined to linger there and stroll through its wide and well-lighted corridors, always finding something pleasant to the eye and inspiring to the mind. The fifth story is occupied as headquarters of the Military Department of the Platte, United States Army. The Chamber of Commerce, southwest corner Farnam. and South Sixteenth streets, is a fine brick building, occupied by the





Board of Trade and the Nebraska Savings Bank, and offices. The Ames building, is a fine brick structure with stone trimmings, built in the form of an L, with entrances on both Sixteenth and Farnam streets. It is occupied by the Morse Dry Goods Company. The Paxton block, northeast corner of Farnam and South Sixteenth streets, is one of the nicest edifices in the city. The Omaha Public Library is located on the third floor of this building. The Young Mens Christian Association building, southwest corner South Sixteenth and Douglas streets, is a handsome gray stone building. four stories in height, which cost $100,000. The ground floor is occupied principally by Thompson, Belden & Co., dry goods merchants. The Y. M. C. A., occupy the upper floors. The building is finely arranged for the work of the association, with an auditorium, lecture rooms, library and reading rooms, gymnasium, etc. The architectural splendor of some of the bank buildings is most notable. The Omaha National Bank, South Thirteenth street, between Douglas and Farnam, is a very fine and substantial brick building, five stories in height, with a basement. The basement is occupied by the Western Union Telegraph Co., and the Omaha safe deposit vaults; the first floor is occupied by the bank; the upper floors are occupied by offices and the telegraph company. The First National Bank building, southeast corner Farnham and South Thirteenth streets, is another fine structure, built of stone, five stories high, with a basement. The ticket office of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad is located here. The bank occupies the first floor with its beautiful and extensive rooms. The upper floors are occupied by numerous offices. The Merchants National Bank building, northeast corner Farnam and South Thirteenth streets, is a fine, substantial brick building, six stories and basement. The bank occupies the first story for the transaction of its important financial business. The offices of the Omaha Gas Manufacturing Company and the ticket office of the Missouri Pacific Railway are on the ground floor, and the general offices of the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad are in the upper stories of this building. The Nebraska National Bank building is a fine iron structure, northwest corner Farn-

am and Twelfth streets, four stories in height with basement. The upper stories are rented for office purposes. The banking rooms are on the first floor. The United States National Bank building is located on the southwest corner of Farnham and South Twelfth streets, and is another splendid stone edifice, five stories high, with a basement. The upper floors are used for offices. and the main floor is occupied by the counting rooms of the bank. The Commercial National Bank building, northwest corner South Sixteenth and Farnam. streets, while not so large as the surrounding buildings, is a gem of beauty. It is three stories in height and built of light stone. The fine banking room faces Farnam street. The German Savings Bank and the Chicago, Rock Island& Pacific Railway ticket office are located on the ground floor.
   HOTELS. -- The traveler can find excellent accommodations at the numerous hotels. The most prominent of these are the Paxton, corner Farnam and South Fourteenth; The Millard, corner South Thirteenth and Douglas; The Murray, corner South Fourteenth and Harney; Hotel Barker, corner South Thirteenth and Jones; and Hotel Casey, Douglas, between Twelfth and Thirteenth. Hotel Dellone is a very fine new building southwest corner of Capitol avenue and North Fourteenth street, which will probably be opened for the accommodation of the traveling public in a short time.
   STREET RAILWAYS. -- The Omaha street railway is an important institution for the development of the city. During 1889 all the competing lines were merged into one corporation. This action makes the company one of the largest corporations in the city. The authorized capital stock of the company is $5,000,000, all of which has been issued. It owns 91 miles of track, divided as follows: Cable 5 miles; electric motor 55 and horse car lines 31 miles. The company ownes three power houses -- two electric and one cable. During 1889 $700,000 were expended in making improvements, and purchasing equipage for the new electric motor lines. The salaries and wages of the officers and employes amount to $30,000 a month, 650 men being employed. It is estimated that the gross earnings are about $2,000 a day. The Omaha Southwestern railway is a finely equipped horse railroad



line, running from Hanscom park to Saddle creek, affording a means of transit to many people living in the suburbs and connecting with the park branch of the Omaha street railway. The Benson line of horse railway is now being operated from North Fortieth and Hamilton street to Bensons addition, a distance of about 2 1/2 miles.
   INDUSTRIES AND MANUFACTURES. -- Omaha possesses an inexhaustable supply of healthful water, obtained from the Missouri river. The water works system, owned and operated by the American Waterworks Co., is unexcelled. Their plant is valued at $6,000,000. Their principal works are located at Florence six miles north of Omaha. The main building is a massive and ornate stone structure with beautiful surroundings. The settling basins are seven in number, and the engines and machinery are of the most complete and perfect character and immense power. The fly wheel is twenty-five feet in diameter and weighs 50 tons. The systems in use are the gravity and direct service. Additional works are in operation at the supply station at the foot of Webster Street, the Walnut Hill reservoir and the station for the supply of South Omaha, at South Twentieth street and Poppleton avenue. It requires 330 miles of water mains to supply the cities of Omaha and South Omaha. The city is well lighted with gas and electric lights. The Omaha Gas Manufacturing Company, with a capital of $800,000, was established in 1867. Its extensive works occupy nearly the entire block of ground upon which they are located, at Eleventh and Jones streets. They have more than eighty miles of mains in use, and are constantly laying additional pipes, so that before the present year is ended they will probably have over one hundred miles in the ground. In addition to the two holders at the works they have recently erected a very large gasometer at the corner of South Twentieth and Center streets, at a total cost, with the ground on which it is built, of $107,000. It has a capacity of 500,000 cubic feet, and is connected, through a large main, with the holders at the works. In addition to that furnished to private consumers, the company furnished gas during 1889 for 772 gas lamps and public lights for use of the city. The New Thomson-Houston Elect-

ric Light Company, with a capital of $600,000, has recently erected a substantial power house at the foot of Jones street, with trackage on the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad. The building is three stories in height, and supplied with machinery to furnish a capacity of 2,000 horse power for arc and incandescent service for stores, dwellings, etc. They also propose to supply power for manufacturing and similar purposes. They have since the beginning of the year, entered upon, the fulfillment of a contract with the city to light the principal streets with brilliant arc lights, with quite satisfactory results to the citizens. The works of the Omaha and Grant Smelting and Refining Company are situated on the bottoms, near the foot of Dodge street, The plant is valued at $3,500,000, and covers over twenty-two acres of ground. Improvements were made during 1889 costing $50,000, and additional improvements are being made. They usually employ about 600 men, whose pay amounts annually to about $360,000. It is the largest establishment in the world for the smelting and refining of silver and other ores, 50,107 tons of ore being smelted during 1889. The value of the business done by them during the eleven months ending November 30th, 1889, was $16,144,575. The work shops of the Union Pacific Railway give employment to nearly 1,200 men. The monthly pay roll averages about $80,000. The buildings cover an area of fifty acres, and, with the machinery in use are valued at $2,500,000. The equipments and facilities of these works are of the most complete character. All kinds of work pertaining to the business of the company is thoroughly done here. It is not only the greatest industrial enterprise in Omaha, but the largest in the west. One of the most prominent and important of the manufacturing concerns of the city is the Paxton. & Vierling Iron Works. The plant is located by the Union Pacific Railway tracks on South Seventeenth street. The company manufactures all kinds of car castings, architectural iron work, foundry supplies, lamp posts, iron beams, girders, trusses and roofs and all kinds of ornamental iron work. They employ about 200 hands.The immense building of the Woodman Linseed Oil Works is a prominent feature in view of Omaha. It is located at



the corner of North Seventeenth and Nicholas streets. The company did a business of $1,200,000 in 1889. It is one of the largest linseed oil mills in the world and the quality of the product in unexcelled. In connection with the mill, an immense grain elevator has been erected on North Seventeenth street which cost $45,000. The Willow Springs distillery is the third largest in the United States; the buildings cover eight acres of ground. The capacity is 15,000 gallons 4 day; in 1889 they consumed 700,812 bushels of grain. They employ 125 men, and the sales for 1889 amounted to $3,300,000.
   There are three large breweries in Omaha, the oldest being that of Fred Krug, occupying nearly an entire square. Fifty men are employed, and in 1889 the consumption of barley was 125,000 bushels, the sales of the year exceeded 60,000 barrels. Storz & Iler have 50 men employed, use 12 delivery wagons and 24 horses, they used in 1889, 100,000 bushels of barley. Metz & Bro. run a bottling establishment in connection with their brewery. They employ 35 men, and the capacity of the plant is 45,000 barrels. The Garneau Cracker Company employs 84 persons at their large factory, corner South Twelfth and Jackson streets. Miller & Gunderson give employment to a large number of men in the manufacture of sash, doors, blinds and fine wood work at their extensive planing mill, North Twenty- ninth street and the Belt railway. Sheely & Jacksons planing mill, for the manufacture of sash, doors, blinds, office fixtures, etc., is an important and growing factor in the industries of the city. Location, 1006 South Eighteenth street. In addition to his extensive lumber business, Fred W. Gray employs a large number of men in manufacturing office fixtures, doors, sash, blinds, etc. His planing mill is at South Sixth and Harney streets. Many other manufacturing establishments in the city give employment to from 10 to 60 hands each. The 40 brickyards in Omaha manufactured during the past season 90.000,000 brick, all of which have been sold. They furnished employment to 1,200 men and boys, who were paid each week in average of $13,000 in salaries.
   The manufacturers of Omaha turned out products to the value of $23,516,000 in 1889, an increase of more than two millions over the preced-

ing year. This is exclusive of the products of the packing industries of South Omaha, which exceed $13,000,000, and which will swell the grand total of Omahas industrial products in round figures to over $37,000,000. The Carter White Lead Co., whose extensive works were destroyed by fire in 1890, have removed and rebuilt their works on a still larger scale in East Omaha. a suburb a short distance to the northeast of the city, where various manufacturing establishments are being located.
   COMMERCE. -- The commercial growth of Omaha is quite encouraging. The wholesale trade has materially increased in volume, and the territory made tributary to it has been considerably extended during the past year. The city has 291 wholesale firms, with $14,032,000 invested. The increase of the capital during the year over that of 1888 was $500,000, The sales for 1889 are estimated at $53,000,000. The retail trade of the city has made considerable advance. The magnitude of some of the stores with the variety, the richness and beauty of the goods displayed, is a pleasing surprise to many strangers.
   FINANCE. -- The condition of and volume of business transacted by the banks and banking institutions of Omaha are a sure test of the solidity of business affairs in this city. The number of banks in Omaha is seventeen, with an aggregate capital of over five million dollars, divided as follows: Eight National banks, $3,976,000; six savings banks, $496,642; three state banks $614,000, making a total capital and surplus, $5,086,642. The total capital of the banks increased a half million dollars during 1889. The total increase of deposits over the preceding year amounted to two and one-half millions. Since January 1st, 1890, two more banking institutions have begun operations, the German American Savings Bank and the Globe Loan and Trust Companys Savings Bank.
   CITY GOVERNMENT. -- The government of Omaha is that of a city of the metropolitan class, and is vested in the mayor and city council, board of public works, board of health, board of fire and police commissioners, board of education and park commissioners, with treasurer, comptroller and police judge. The financial condition of the city gov-



ernment is excellent. Notwithstanding the magnitude of the public improvements made during the past few years, the bonded indebtedness of the city at January 1st, 1890, was only $1,661,100; but little more than the value of the real estate owned by the city which is worth $1,345,000. The credit of the city is so good that the premiums on the bonds sold during 1889 amounted to $44,000.
   POLICE AND FIRE DEPARTMENTS. -- Probably no other department of the city government is so important to every citizen individually as the police department. Omaha is to be congratulated on the efficiency of its police force. It comprises about 100 men. The Omaha fire department consists of a chief and 60 men, with three steam fire engines, two chemical engines, two hook and ladder trucks, six hose carts and 10,000 feet of hose, 19 horses, and other appliances, which are valued at $75,025. They are distributed in six houses, at suitable points throughout the city. The powerful force of our grand water supply enables the hose companies to work as efficiently as the best equipped engine companies in other cities. The fire and police alarm system is excellent, having over 50 miles of wire with alarm stations distributed at convenient points. The police and fire departments are under the immediate supervision of the board of fire and police commissioners.
   PUBLIC SCHOOLS. -- The high standard of education in the public schools, the thoroughness of the organization of the school department, and the efficiency of the teachers, are subjects of congratulation to the citizens of Omaha. There are thirty-eight schools, occupying fifty-four school buildings, with a corps of 285 teachers, under the direction of an able superintendent. There were about 12,000 pupils in attendance during 1889, 486 of whom were in the High School. The amount paid for salaries in 1889 was $194,456; total expenditures for the year, $367,559. The management of the public schools is under the control of the board of education.
   COLLEGES AND OTHER SCHOOLS. -- Among the prominent buildings of Omaha, Creighton College is conspicious. Its location on elevated ground, one-half mile northwest of the High School, is a commanding one, and the edifice is appropriate to the location. It is liberally en-

dowed, and is in charge of the Jesuits. The course of study is a very complete one. The scientific laboratory and the library of 6,500 volumes are valuable adjuncts. Brownell Hall is a very popular seminary for young ladies, under the auspices of the Episcopal church, and is attended by pupils from all parts of the West. It is pleasantly located on South Tenth street. The buildings a commodious structure, fitted up in the most perfect manner. The building and grounds cost $175,000. The Academy of the Sacred Heart is a select boarding school for young ladies, conducted by the sisters of the Convent of the Sacred Heart. It is a commodious brick structure, southwest corner North Thirty-sixth and Burt streets. There are also parochial and private schools located in various parts of the city which afford educational facilities to a large number of pupils. Two popular commercial colleges having a large number under a course of instruction, are located in this city. The Young Mens Christian Association is in a prosperous condition, and now numbers over 1,000 members. In their religious work their meetings are well attended and much good is accomplished. Much excellent work is done in various lines. The gymnasium is very popular. A course of lectures and series of concerts are given to the members. There are also classes for various studies. The number enrolled in these classes is 130.
   CHURCHES. -- Omaha has ninety-four church organizations divided among almost every known denomination. Many of the church edifices are architectural beauties and cost handsome sums for their erection. The city is the home of two bishops -- John P. Newman, of the Methodist church; George W. Worthington, of the Episcopal church. Notable additions to the church edifices are the First Methodist church at the corner of Davenport and Twentieth streets, and St. Matthias Episcopal chapel on South Tenth street. Besides these two churches fifteen other houses of religious worship were erected during 1881).
   HOSPITALS AND CHARITABLE INSTITUTIONS. -- St. Josephs Hospital, located corner of South Twelfth and Mason streets, is in charge of the order of Franciscan Sisters of the Catholic church. About 900 inside





patients were treated during the year 1889, and 500 outside patients nursed. The erection of a fine new building, corner of South Tenth and Castellar streets, is in contemplation. The Bishop Clarkson Memorial Hospital, popularly known as the Childs Hospital, at 1716 Dodge street, is under the auspices of the Episcopal church. The principal object of the hospital is to cafe for sick and invalid children. Immanuel Hospital is finely situated on high ground in the northwestern part of the city, and is nearly ready for occupancy. The Old Womens Home, at 2718 Burt street, is a retreat for old women without homes. Women, young or old, seeking employment and without means are kept until they secure employment. Children are also cared for. It is under the control of the Womens Christian Association. The Creche is a day nursery for the care of children whose parents are employed during the day. It is located at the corner of South Nineteenth and Harney streets. It is in charge of an association of ladies. The Open Door at North Twenty-fifth and Capitol avenue is a refuge for fallen women and young girls who have gone astray. It is under the auspices of the Womens Christian Temperance Union.
   LIBRARIES. -- The Omaha Public Library contains 25,617 volumes; and the reading rooms attached are supplied with the newspapers and choicest periodical literature of the day. The number of books taken out during 1889 was 140,000, and the number used for reference 42,726. Total expense of the library for the year $12,616.98. The law library of the Omaha bar contains about 3,000 volumes of works not usually found in the private libraries of attorneys. There are 7,000 volumes in the New York Life Insurance buildings law library.
   Creighton College has a valuable and choice collection of 6,600 volumes. The Odd Fellow's library contains 5,000 volumes. The Swedish library contains 1,000 volumes. The Danish and Bohemian societies also have libraries connected with their organizations.
   ART GALLERY. -- The citizens of Omaha are indebted to Mr. George W. Lininger for special facilities for the study of art. His private gallery, corner Davenport and North Eighteenth streets contains many rare and beautiful works by celebrated artists. His generosity in

opening it for the use of art students. and for the inspection of the public, is highly appreciated by the lovers of the beautiful.
   NEWSPAPERS. -- Four daily newspapers are now published in Omaha, three English and one German. Each of the English dailies prints a Sunday edition, and also a weekly. The Daily Bee was established in 1871 and is the best equipped journal of the West, and has occupied its new building since 1889. The World-Herald is a consolidation of the Herald, for twenty-five years the leading democratic daily in Nebraska and the World, an evening paper which had been in existence about three years before its consolidation with the Herald. The Daily Democrat, formerly the Inter-State Democrat, started about two years ago as an afternoon paper. The Nebraska Tribune is a German daily and weekly. Pokrok Zapada is a weekly printed in the Bohemian language. It is the most widely circulated Bohemian paper published in America. Danske Pioneer is a Danish weekly of extensive circulation. Dannebrog is another Danish weekly. The Swedish Tribune, a weekly, circulates among the Swedish population of the west. The Swedish Post is another well read weekly printed in the Swedish language. The Excelsior is a society paper, issued weekly. The Omaha Mercury is a weekly, devoted to general news. The Railway News and Reporter is a journal containing matters of interest to the many railroad men who live in Omaha. The Leader is devoted to the cause of temperance and prohibition. The Progress is edited by a colored man and published in the interest of the colored race. The Topics is an illustrated weekly, devoted to wit and humor. The Omaha Clinic is a monthly journal of medicine. The Medical and Surgical Record is the organ of homeopaths; it is issued monthly. The Druggist is a monthly medical journal. The Pythian Spur is published in the interest of the Knights of Pythias. The Merchants Criterion is a weekly commercial paper. The Western Merchant is a monthly trade journal. The Western Stockman and Cultivator is an agricultural journal published semi-monthly. The religious publications comprise the Central West, weekly, in the interest of the Presbyterians; the Omaha District Advocate, a monthly Metho-



dist publication, the Midland, monthly in the interest of the United Presbyterians and the Church Guardian, monthly, published by the Episcopalians.


     Mayor, Richard C. Cushing; mayors clerk, Frank H. Tuttle, N. Y. Life building; president of council, - Clarence L. Chaffee, N. Y. Life building; attorney A J. Poppleton, First. National Bank building; assistant attorney, W. S. Shoemaker Ramge block; treasurer, John Rush, Bee building, comptroller, C. S. Goodrich, Bee building; clerk, John Groves, court house; police judge, Lee Helsley Central Station, clerk of police court, William H. Long, Central Station; chief of police, W. S. Seavey, Central Station; chief of fire department, John J. Galligan, Central Station; engineer, Geo. W. Tillson, court house; license inspector, Thomas Riley, N. Y. Life building; superintendent of buildings, Geo. W. Whitlock, Central Station; deputy building inspectors, F. A. Thompson, Chas. H. McEckron; gas inspector, James Gilbert, Central Station; superintendent of plumbing, Geo. L. Dennis, court house; boiler inspector, Joseph Standeven, Central Station; meat inspectors, Frederick Hickstein, Peter A. Welch, Central Station; sewer inspector, T. J. McLean, court house; sidewalk inspector, Thomas Bermingham, court house; inspector weights and measures, A. W. Parker; street commissioner, James Flannery, court house; Physician, Clarke Gapen; veterinary surgeon, H. L. Ramacciotti.
   BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS. -- Meets first and third Fridays of each month at court house. Chairman, P. W. Birkhauser; secretary, U. B. Balcombe; members. Wm. I. Kierstead, John B. Furay.
   BOARD OF HEALTH. -- R. 0. Cushing, mayor; C. L. Chaffee, president council, N. Y. Life building; W. S. Seavey, chief of police; Clarke Gapen, physician; Frank R. Morrissey, sanitary commissioner.
   CITY COUNCILMEN. -- Ward Councilmen. --(Terms expire January, 1891). First ward, Thomas J. Lowrey; second ward, Frank J Kaspar; third ward, Patrick Ford; fourth ward, Daniel H. Wheeler; fifth ward, Edward O'Connor; sixth ward Wm. G. Shriver; seventh ward, Clarence L. Chaffee; eighth ward,

Albert H. Sander; ninth ward, Edgar P. Davis. Councilmen at large. -- (Terms expire January, 1892). Wm. F. Bechel, fourth ward; F. L. Blumer, ninth ward; F. D. Cooper, ninth ward; James Donnelly sr., second Ward; B. F. Madsen, first ward; John McLearie sixth ward; E. F. Morearty, seventh ward; Theodore Olsen, eight ward; Henry Osthoff, fifth ward.


   RAILWAYS. -- The railroads are the Union Pacific Railway, which is so well known and which has done so much for Omaha and the west, having a complete system and large mileage; the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy system, known as the Burlington &, Missouri River Railroad in Nebraska; the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley; and the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha; both branches of the Chicago & Northwestern; Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific; Missouri Pacific; Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul, and Wabash & Western; besides these a belt line nearly encircling the city and under the control of the Missouri Pacific Railway, which has a terminus in the city, adds a great deal to the convenience of the citizens. New roads are projected in several directions, especially towards the northwest and the new states. The Nebraska Central railroad is to be built soon. A magnificent bridge to cost $1,000,000 is to be constructed within two years; bonds to the amount of $250,000 having been voted is a bonus to the Nebraska Central Railroad to build the bridge at Omaha. The construction of a new grand union passenger depot has been commenced on the site of the depots of the Union Pacific and the Burlington and Missouri River Railroads. It is to cost $400,000, and will be completed during 1890. As we consider the vast extent, richness and rapid development of the resources of the territory accessible to Omaha; as we review the amazing growth of the manufactures, commerce, wealth and population of the city; and, as we learn of the many enterprises contemplated, we may clearly perceive that a grand future awaits our favored city.
   UNION PACIFIC RAILWAY CO. -- LIST OF OFFICERS -- Executive Department: Charles Francis Adams, president, Boston, Mass.; William H. Holcomb, vice-president, Omaha, Neb.; W. H. Baldwin, assistant vice-pres-



ident, Omaha, Neb.; Gardiner M. Lane, second vice-president, Boston, Mass.; Thomas L. Kimball, third vice-president, Omaha, Neb., Oliver W. Mink, Comptroller, Boston, Mass.; James G. Harris, treasurer, Boston, Mass.; Frank D. Brown, local treasurer, Omaha, Neb.; Alex Millar, secretrary, Boston, Mass.
   Law Department. John M. Thurston, general solicitor Omaha Neb.; W. R. Kelly, assistant general solicitor, Omaha, Neb., A. Williams, general attorney, Kansas division, Topeka, Kan; W. W. Cotton, general attorney, Pacific division, Portland, Ore.; John R. Manchester, general claim agent, Omaha, Neb.
   Accounting Department. Erastus Young, auditor, Omaha, Neb.; F. W. Hills, assistant auditor, Omaha, Neb.; R. Anderson, auditor of disbursements, Omaha, Neb.; A. S. Van Kuran, freight auditor, Omaha, Neb.; W. S. Wing, auditor of passenger accounts, Omaha, Neb.
   Land Department. Albert Woodcock, general land commissioner, Omaha, Neb.; B. A. McAllaster land commissioner, Omaha, Neb.
   Construction Department. J. S. Cameron, chief of construction Omaha, Neb.; V. G. Bogue, chief engineer, Omaha, Neb.
   Traffic Department. C. S. Mellon, general traffic manager, Omaha, Neb.; J. A. Munroe, assistant general traffic manager, Omaha, Neb.; B. Campbell, assistant general traffic manager, Portland, Ore.; E. L. Lomax, general passenger agent, Missouri river division, Omaha, Neb.; Jno. W. Scott, assistant general passenger agent, Missouri river division, Omaha, Neb.; W. H. Hurlburt, assistant general passenger agent Missouri river division, San Francisco, Cal.; J. B. Frawley division passenger agent, Kansas City, Mo.; T. W. Lee, general passenger agent Pacific division. Portland, Ore.; S. W. Eccles, general freight and passenger agent, mountain division, Salt Lake City; H. W. Adams, assistant general freight and passenger agent mountain division, Salt Lake City; Geo. Ady, general passenger agent, Gulf division, Denver, Col.; F. B. Semple, assistant general passenger agent, Gulf division, Denver, Col.; F. L. Lynde, general passenger agent, St. J. & G. I. R. R. division, St. Joseph Mo.; J. A. S. Reed, general traveling agent passenger department, Chicago, Ill.; F. B. Whitney general freight agent Missouri river division, Omaha, Neb.; Elmer

H. Wood, assistant general freight, agent Missouri river division, Omaha, Neb.; J. V. Parker, assistant general freight agent, Missouri river division, Kansas City, Mo.; F. Wilde Jr., general freight agent, Gulf division, Denver, Col.; H. H. Smith, assistant general freight agent, Gulf division, Denver, Col.;. J. G. Woodworth, general freight, agent Pacific division, Portland, Ore.; F. S. Miller, assistant general freight agent, Pacific division, Portland, Ore.; -- general freight agent St. J. & G. I. R. R. division, St. Joseph, Mo.; H. A. Johnson, general agent traffic department, San Francisco, Cal.; W. H. Hancock, freight claim agent, Omaha Neb.; A. Traynor, general baggage agent, Council Bluffs, Ia.
   Operating Department. J. O. Brinkerhoff, general manager Missouri river division, Kansas City, Mo.; J. M. Barr, superintendent Nebraska division, Omaha, Neb.; A. T. Palmer, superintendent Kansas division, Kansas City, Mo.; C. F. Meek, general manager Gulf division, Denver Col.; R. J. Duncan, superintendent Colorado division, Denver Col.; F. E. Bissell, superintendent New Mexico division, Denver Col.;. C. F. Resseguie, general manager Mountain division, Salt Lake City; F. Mertzheimer, superintendent Wyoming division, Cheyenne, Wyo.; W. L. Ryder, superintendent Idaho division, Pocatello, Idaho; F. L. Corwin, superintendent Utah division, Salt Lake City; E. McNeill, manager Pacific division, Portland Ore.; G. W. Johnson, superintendent Pacific division, Portland, Ore.; I. W. Troup, superintendent Water Lines; W. P. Robinson, Jr., general manager St. J. & G. l. R. R. division, St. Joseph, Mo.; E. Buckingham, superintendent car service, Omaha, Neb.
   Telegraph Department. L. H. Korty superintendent of telegraph, Omaha, Neb.
   Mechanical Department. Harvey Middleton, superintendent machinery and motive power, Cheyenne, Wyo.; Jno. Wilson, asst. superintendent machinery and motive, power, Omaha, Neb.
   Coal Department. J. S. Tebbets, general manager, Denver Col.; G. C. Hewett, superintendent of Mines, Rock Springs, Wyo.
   Supply Department. J. W. Griffith, general purchasing agent, Omaha, Neb.; F. G. Wheeler, assistant general purchasing agent, Portland,



Visit the Douglas County, Nebraska website

   Other resources   Directory

© 1999, 2000, 2001 for the NEGenWeb Project by W&N Wever, T&C Miller