Natural Resources | Early History | Stephen Story | A Severe Winter|
Pioneer Hunters | Lynch Law for Horse-Thieves
The Half-Breed Line | The County Seat Troubles
The Killing of Davis and Meek | County Roster | the Epidemic of 1860
Claim Jumping | The Jayhawkers of '62 | The Underground Railway|
The Grasshopper Scourge | Defunct Towns | War Record
Milling Interests | Railroads
Falls City: First Permanent Residents | City Officials|
Postal Business | The Press | Fire Record | Societies
Falls City (conts.): Banks | Manufacturing Interests|
The Grain Business | Pork Packing | Falls City Hotels
Hinton's Driving Park | Public Schools | The Public School Building
5 ~ 9:
ADAMS ~ FRY | GALLAGHER ~ KREKER | LEE ~ POWELL
RANDALL ~ STRETCH | TARPLEY ~ YUTZY
Humboldt: Early Events | Railway Interests | The Public School|
Churches | The Press | Societies | Hotels | Banks and Bankers
Manufacturing Interests, Etc.
Humboldt: Biographical Sketches|
Rulo: Charles Rouleau | Elie Bedard|
Early Events | The Press | Business Interests | Churches
Societies | Biographical Sketches
Dawson: Early History | The Cyclone | Societies | Churches|
Business Interests | The Old Mill | Biographical Sketches
Salem: Early History | Hotels | The Public Schools|
Churches | Societies | Business Interests | Biographical Sketches
Arago: Biographical Sketches|
Porter Precinct | Ohio Precinct | Franklin Precinct | Liberty Precinct
Speiser Precinct | Barada Precinct | Preston
List of Illustrations in Richardson County Chapter
ANDERSON BROS., proprietors of wagon and carriage manufactory, Humboldt. This business is one of the many important industries of Humboldt, and the leading one of its class. The brothers John and Nils, are natives of Sweden, where they were educated to the business. In 1877, John came to this country and located in Chicago where he worked at his trade till 1878, when he came to Nebraska and located here, and in 1879 started the present business. Nils came to America, 1878, and located here the same year, and in 1879 joined the partnership. They do a business of $20,000 per year and give annual employment to about seventeen experienced workmen. Their trade is already quite extensive, not only in this State but also in Kansas, and they hope by good workmanship and strict attention to business to merit the patronage such as enterprise deserves.
M. B. ATKINS, of the firm of Bratt & Atkins, general furniture, Humboldt, is a native of Illinois, and came to Nebraska, 1873, and took up the agricultural and stock industry, with which he was connected till last year. In 1875 he engaged at the mercantile business, with which he has been actively connected since. In 1873 he married Miss Lucy Barnhart, who was also born and raised in his native state. They have one son, Arthur Eber. Mr. Atkins has always taken an active part in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.
JACOB BAILY, Mayor of Humboldt, was born in Perry County, Pa., September 5, 1847, receiving his rudimentary education in the common schools of his native county. After spending four years in a literary course of study in the academies of his native State he entered upon a coarse of study in law and graduated in 1870. After teaching school a year he began actively the practice of his profession and filled the office of prosecuting attorney for Perry County from 1872 to 1876. In the spring of 1877, he came to Nebraska and settled at Falls City, bought and conducted the Falls City Globe-Journal until 1879, when he retired from that paper, only to come here and take charge of the Humboldt Sentinel, which he carried on one year. In the meantime he was elected to the office of County Superintendent of Public Instruction, which he held until the winter of 1882. Upon his retirement he was elected to his present position which he very ably represents. In 1873 he married Miss Harriet Power, of his native county. They have a family of two sons and two daughters: Laura W., Mabel, Joseph and Benjamin P. In politics Mayor Baily is avowedly Republican, coming from a State where political interests have been so conspicuous in the general government of the Union, his father, Joseph Baily, having been a prominent actor in the political field in Pennsylvania. Joseph Baily was born in Chester County, Pa., March 18, 1810, and identified himself with the profession of law. At the age of 60 years he was elected to the House of Representatives of Pennsylvania from his native county, and held the Senatorial incumbency of his county during 1843-44 and 45. In 1850 he was elected to the Senate from Perry and Cumberland counties, and held the office through 1851-52 and 53, retiring from the Senate to the State treasurership, which he occupied during 1854. In 1860 the people of Perry district elected him to the U. S. Congress, which he held from 1861 until 1865, in which he was a very active advocate for the Constitutional Amendment prohibiting slavery. In 1872 he was elected from the Seventeenth Senatorial District to the Constitutional Convention of the State, of which his varied experience in the many departments of the State made him an efficient and valued member. In his home life he has always been an active worker in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality and has been almost continuously a Representative of the School Board of his district.
WILLIAM BARNGROVER, proprietor of Barngrover's livery stable, dealer in real estate and loan agency, Humboldt, was born and reared in Shelby County, Ind. In 1864 he removed to Guthrie County, Iowa, where he was actively identified with stock raising and farming till 1873, when he came here and located and has actively prosecuted that industry here since. In 1875 he bought the present extensive stables which he has successfully conducted since. He has always been identified with his present business of real estate and loan agency since coming here, but has latterly gave it his more especial attention. In 1864 he married Miss Tabitha A. Montgomery, of his native county. They have a family of three sons and six daughters. Mr. Barngrover has always been an active worker in the furtherance of all measures tending to the growth and development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here.
GARRETT BRATT, of the firm of Bratt & Atkins, general furniture, Humboldt, is a native of New York State and came to Nebraska, 1868, and located here where he was actively identified with farming and stock raising till 1875, when he went to California and engaged at the stock and mining industry, which he carried on till 1878, when he returned here and took up the present business, which he has successfully conducted since. In 1872 he married Miss S. J. Grove, who was born and reared in Iowa. They have a family of one son and daughter, Frank and Ina. Mr. Bratt has been an active worker in the development of the social and industrial life of this locality since coming here.
O. A. COOPER, of the firm of Linn & Cooper, Humboldt, was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., in 1850, and removed with his people to Michigan, where he was reared and educated. His people first located in Hillsdale County, where they remained about five years, when they located in Branch County. In 1869 they came to Nebraska and located at Table Rock. In 1873 Mr. Cooper began at his present industry and has very successfully carried it on since, enlarging upon it as opportunities offered, and now boasts of the extensive business represented in the business sketch of Linn & Cooper. In 1877 he married Miss Ella Merryfield, who was born and reared in Iowa. They have a family of one daughter and two sons, Gracie, Carey M., and Guy.
DR. JAMES G. COX, Humboldt, is a native of Kentucky, and received his rudimentary education in the common schools of his native state, and his literary education at Hanover College, Indiana. At the age of twenty-six he began his professional studies, and in 1853, at the age of thirty, he took up the practice of medicine, which he has since continuously followed. In 1853 he married Miss Rebecca J. Galbraith, who was born in Kentucky, and reared in Jacksonville, Ill., where they were married. In 1869 Mrs. Cox departed this life and is buried in the cemetery at Jacksonville, leaving a family of one son and two daughters, Samuel D., Kate M., and Sally L. In 1872 Dr. Cox came to Nebraska, and has been actively connected with his profession here since. In 1879 he married Miss Keziah Cornelius, a native of Kentucky. Dr. Cox did service in the Mexican war under General Taylor was in active service in the battle of Buena Vista in Col. Humphrey Marshall's Cavalry, Capt. Heady's Company. In the late civil war he was in active service as Assistant Surgeon in the One Hundred and Fiftieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry.
ALEXANDER M. FERGUS, contractor and builder, Humboldt, is a native of Ohio, and was born and raised in Miami County. He was, in his youth, engaged in the tanner and currier business with his father, who was prominently identified with that industry then. While engaged in that business he married Hannah Putterbaugh, by whom he had two children--a daughter and a son. She died, and he afterward married Joanna T. Penny, by whom he has seven children--five sons and two daughters. In 1856 he came to Nebraska and located land in Nemaha County, getting Certificate No. 14, entered at Omaha, and was engaged in farming until the breaking out of the war. He then returned to Indiana, and enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Fifty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was transferred to the Department of the Cumberland, Fourth Army Corps, Second Brigade, First Division, and was mustered out in Nashville, Tenn, with an honorable discharge. After this he returned to Indiana, and was principally identified there with his present industry until 1881, when he came here and has been prominently connected with his present business since. Francis Fergus, the ancestor of the present family of Ferguses, came from Ireland, and came to America before the Revolutionary war and served in the Continental Army. First settled in Cumberland County, Penn., and married, after which he immigrated to Rockbridge County, Va. Hisson, James Fergus, the father of the subject of this sketch, settled in Miami County, Ohio, in 1808.
GEORGE GIRD, joint editor and proprietor of the Humboldt Sentinel, was born and reared in Shelby County, Ind., where he was identified with the farming and stock industry. In 1859, at the age of twenty-seven, he came to Nebraska and located in Richardson County, was actively connected with farming and stock raising, until 1882, when he retired from it and engaged in the present business, which he very ably represents. In 1855 he was married to Miss Mary E. Gossett, who was born and reared in Indiana. They have a family of four sons and three daughters living--William, Ida M. (now Mrs. David Speiser, jr.), whose sketch appears in this work, George, Mary, John, Arthur, and Gertrude. Mr. and Mrs. Gird buried their son Edward, aged sixteen years, February, of the present year in the Steele Cemetery, Falls City. Mr. Gird has always taken an active interest in the growth and development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming to the State and has been an efficient official in his county.
REV. F. M. HICKOK, pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Humboldt, was born in Athens County, Ohio, 1844, and removed to Iowa, 1855, where he was reared and educated. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted in Company G, Eleventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service till February, 1862, when he was incapacitated from duty on account of small pox, and in May, 1862, he received his honorable discharge, having lost his sight on account of the disease. In 1864 he entered the College for the Blind at Vinton, Iowa, and after a course of literary and scientific study of six years he entered the Presbyterian Theological Seminary at Chicago and graduated from there in the class of 1873. He then came to Nebraska, and began his labors in connection with the church in missionary work here. His first work was at Peru, Nemaha County; he then located at Palmyra, Otoe County, but did work in other counties as well. In 1878 he located here and has been an active and ardent worker in his work in this mission since. In 1873 he was married to Miss Mary R. Robinson, who was born and reared in Benton County, Iowa, daughter of Rev. N. C. Robinson, prominent in connection with the Presbyterian Church in Iowa and latterly Synodical missionary of Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. Hickok have two sons--Paul R. and Ralph K.
S. M. HILLEBERT, Postmaster, Humboldt, is a native of New York State, and was reared and educated in Wisconsin, where he was identified with the stock industry until 1863, when he enlisted in Company A, Thirty-second Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he came to Nebraska, located here, and took up the blacksmithing business, which he actively carried on a few years. He built and established the present Central House, which he ably conducted for a few years, after which he engaged in the mercantile business. In 1877 he received his appointment to the present incumbency, which he has held continuously since. In 1867 he married Miss Mary J. Nims, in Wisconsin. She was born and reared there. They have one son and a daughter--Spencer Lue and Daisy M.
H. T. HULL, attorney-at-law, and loan agency, Humboldt, was born and reared in Susquehanna County, Penn., and received his literary education at Wyoming Seminary, Penn. At the age of twenty, he entered upon a regular classical course of study at Harvard University, Massachusetts, and after three years of study, he took up a law course and graduated from there in 1868, after a year's study. In the spring following he came to Nebraska, and located in Richardson County, where he has been actively identified with the practicing of his profession since. In the meantime carrying on agriculture and stock raising, with which he has been financially interested. In 1863 he enlisted in Company C, Captain Rickett's Regiment, which was organized for the State protection. Was in active service at the battle of Gettysburgh, shortly after which the regiment disbanded. He has taken an active interest in the general development of his locality since coming here.
LINN & COOPER, Humboldt, represent the leading grain and lumber interests of this locality. Their business was first begun at Table Rock in 1877. In 1879 they opened a business here, in 1881 at Calvert, and in 1882 at Stella. Their annual business will amount to about $350,000, of which their lumber sales will reach $130,000 and their grain and stock sales $220,000. Their lumber yards are extensive here, and are well stocked with a full assortment of everything in that line of business. Their grain interests here are represented by two large elevators, with a capacity of holding 40,000 bushels, their new steam elevator being their pride. It is 48x68, containing dumps and all the latest improvements in grain elevating. Their mill, which they have lately erected, is another fine addition to the industries of the place. It is a four story building, 50x30, having four run of stone and two sets of rollers. They manufacture both by stone and roller process. They have a capacity of manufacturing 100 barrels per day. Their trade is exclusively merchant trade. The machinery for mill and elevator was supplied by the Great Western Manufacturing Company, of Leavenworth, Kan., and contains all the latest and best improvements. The engine which runs both mill and elevator is an immense one of sixty horse-power. They are now using the Hopper scales, which have a capacity of weighing 700 bushels.
R. S. MOLONY, SR., of Humboldt, Richardson Co., Neb., was born in Northfield, N. H., June 28, 1811. He was educated at Dartmouth College, Hanover, N. H., in the medical department of which he graduated, taking the diploma of M. D. in November, 1837. Dr. Molony was the private pupil of R. D. Mussey, M. D., professor of surgery in said college in 1837, and for many years anterior to it; afterwards professor of surgery in the Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio. Dr. Mussey's professional fame was eminently national. It was the purpose of Dr. Molony, at the time of his graduation, to locate in the Gulf States of the Union, and after traveling in that section, located at Vicksburg, Miss., in the winter of 1837 and '38. The Doctor's health failing, he went to Chicago in the spring of 1838, and engaged in the practice of his profession in June, 1838, at Belvidere, Ill., where he labored in this profession for more than twenty-five years. In November, 1850, Dr. Molony was elected to Congress, representing the Chicago District in the House of Representatives until March 4, 1853. June 28, 1839, he married Miss Emma Nicholas, who was a native of, and had been reared in, New York City; granddaughter of Joshua Ogden Hoffman, who spent the most of his life on the bench of the Superior Court of that city. Miss Nicholas was niece of the eminent criminal lawyer of New York City, the Hon. Ogden Hoffman, who represented said city in part in the Congress of the United States in 1840. On the 1st of April, 1866, Mrs. Molony died, and is buried in Belvidere, Ill. Mrs. Molony left surviving her a son, R. S. Molony, Jr., and a daughter, Mrs. Anne Hoffman Neely, now living at Lincoln, Neb. R. S. Molony, Jr., is a lawyer and resident of Richardson County, Neb. In 1876, Dr. Molony removed to Humboldt, Neb., devoting himself to agricultural interests, having located in 1860, 4,000 acres of its rich and beautiful prairie within two miles of Humboldt, in the development of which the Doctor is spending the evening of his days, among an industrious cultivated, Christian people, who are making Richardson County the garden spot of this empire valley of the Missouri River.
PHILLIP F. PATRICK, M. D., Humboldt, was born in Schoharie County, N. Y., November 29, 1847. At the age of seven he moved with his parents to Walworth County, Wis. His father was a physician. At the age of nine Phillip was given his father's books to keep, and was installed private secretary for his father. In 1863, at the age of fifteen, he entered the military service of his country, enlisting in Company D, Twenty-second Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and remained in the service until the close of the war. While in the army he applied himself to the study of Latin and the natural sciences, in which, at the close of the war, he was quite proficient. He then devoted his attention to the study of medicine and surgery in the face of many difficulties. Married at the age of eighteen; graduated at the age of twenty-one. In 1872, at the age of twenty-five he located here with his family. In 1877, he again attended medical college, and graduated at Keokuk, Iowa. In his profession, he is prominently known as an able physician and preceptor. A student himself in the fine arts and master of his profession, he is eminently fitted for this vocation. As a surgeon he ranks with the best in the State.
HON. W. M. PATTON, Ex-Representative of First Legislative District, of Richardson County, Humboldt. Mr. Patton is a native of Illinois. Was born and reared in Stephenson County. In 1870 he came to Nebraska, at the age of twenty, and located here, and engaged at mercantile business, with which he was actively identified till 1879, when he accepted his present position as bookkeeper for the firm of Linn & Cooper, with which he has been identified since. In 1870 he married Miss Julia Schofield, of his native county. They have a family of two sons and two daughters, Ida, Dexter, Robert, and Mary. Mr. Patton has always taken an active interest in the development of the social life of his locality. He represented his district in the Fifteenth Legislative Assembly of the State. Was the first Mayor of this city after it obtained its charter, and has filled many minor municipal positions of honor and trust.
S. M. PHILPOT, proprietor of the Wisconsin Lumber Yards, corner First and Nemaha streets, Humboldt. The business consists of a general line of all kinds of lumber, lath, shingle, sash, doors, blinds, lime, plaster, hair, etc., etc., and is the oldest established firm of the kind in the city. Mr. Philpot is a native of Ohio and was born and reared in Carroll County. In 1869, at the age of seventeen, he came to Nebraska and settled in this county the following year, and has been principally connected with his present industry since. In 1875 he married Miss Winnie A. Moon, a native of Indiana. They have one son, Guerney. Mr. Philpot has always taken an active interest in all measures tending to the growth and development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming to the State.
SIMON QUICK, retired farmer, Humboldt. Was born in Sussex County, N. J., 1812, ad removed to Steuben County, N. Y., 1818, with his people, where he was reared and educated. In 1838 he located at Elgin, Ill., where he followed farming till 1854, when he removed to Strawberry Point, Iowa, where he was actively connected with farming and stock raising till in 1867 he came here and located and followed agricultural and stock business till his retirement in 1880. In 1837 he married Miss Mary Dayton Russell, who was born near Poughkeepsie, N. Y. 1817, and was reared in Steuben County. Mr. and Mrs. Quick have a family of five sons living, Henry, of Elgin, Ill.; John and Orvern, of California; Simon, of Masonville, Iowa, and Oscar of this county, and have buried their second son, Franklin, in Strawberry Point Cemetery, Iowa. Mr. Quick has always taken an active part in the growth and development of the social life of his locality since his coming here.
J. H. ROBERTSON, dealer in real estate, Humboldt, is a native of Indiana. Was born and reared in Shelbyville, and was identified there with the mercantile industry till 1879, when at the age of thirty he left his native State, and after spending one year in Flatonia, Texas, he came here and located, and has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1881 he married Miss Belle Montgomery, of his native State. She was born and reared in Shelbyville. Mr. Robertson has worked actively in the development of the industrial life of this place since coming here.
F. W. SAMUELSON, banker, Humboldt, was born in Jefferson County, Iowa, in 1850, and was reared in Henry County. At the age of seventeen he engaged in the mercantile industry there and continued at it until 1873, when he came to Nebraska, and located in Falls City, where he carried on the hardware business for a year, after which he came here and established his present extensive business which he has actively carried on since. In 1881 he established the Nemaha County Bank at South Auburn, which he also represents. He was married in 1875 to Miss Hannah Steele, who was born in Missouri and reared in Nebraska. They have a family of one daughter, Luella, and two sons, Edwin J., and F. W., jr. Mr. Samuelson has always been an active worker in the social and industrial life of this locality since coming here. Is the sole owner of the Humboldt Bank, which he founded in 1874. Prominent among the many public buildings of Humboldt is the Opera House Block, erected by Mr. F. W. Samuelson in 1880. This block is situated on the south-east side of the park fronting on Third street, occupying a frontage of 168 feet and containing three large fronts representing the hardware business of Morris & Blum, F. W. Samuelson's bank, and the jewelry store of E. L. Crane. It extends to a distance of 120 feet in the rear and is two stories high, the hardware store occupying the whole extension, but in the rear of the bank and jewelry store are extensive warerooms for the use of Mr. Samuelson's extensive farm machinery, agricultural implements, wagon and carriage store rooms, of which his trade in this industry is very extensive. The second story is occupied by Mr. Samuelson's Opera House, fully described elsewhere.
SARBACH & FRIEND, dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, groceries, crockery, hats, caps, and gent's furnishing goods, Humboldt. This enterprising firm comprises Joseph Sarbach and Morris Friend. Mr. Sarbach is a native of Bavaria and came to America in 1866, at the age of eighteen years and settled in Kansas, where he was actively connected with the mercantile business until 1881, when he came here and joined the present partnership. Mr. Friend is a native of Alsace-Lorraine, and came to America in 1876, at the age of seventeen years, and located in Kansas, where he was actively identified with the mercantile industry until 1880, when he came here and established the present business in company with Mr. Weinman, whom Mr. Sarbach succeeded.
DAVID SPEISER, JR., joint editor and proprietor of the Humboldt Sentinel, Humboldt. Was born in St. Joe, Mo., October 25, 1855, and removed with his parents, David and Elizabeth Speiser, whose family sketch appears here, to this county in 1856, where he was reared and educated. He received his education in the public schools of the county and took up his present industry in 1877, when he bought a half interest in the Sentinel, which was then in its infancy. Mr. Speiser's ambition was to establish a journal which would meet the requirements of the people of this end of the county, and to that end he worked. He was well and ably suited for the position he has assumed, and by dint of study and persistent industry in his profession, he has succeeded in giving his journal a front rank in the list in Richardson County. In 1879, he married Miss Ida M. Gird, who was born in Andrew County, Mo., February 27, 1859, and removed with her parents, George and Mary E. Gird, who settled in Speiser Precinct the same year, where she was reared and educated. Mr. and Mrs. Speiser have a family of two sons, Charles Herbert and Ralph William. As a citizen Mr. Speiser has always taken an active part in the growth and development of the social life of his locality.
DAVID SPEISER, SR., farmer and stock raiser, Section 34, Humboldt Precinct and P. O., was born in Baden, Germany, in 1827, and came to America in 1855. He settled here in 1856, and has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1852, he was married in Baden, to Miss Elizabeth Uhri, who was born there in 1831. They have a family of two sons and two daughters living, David Jr., Charley, Elizabeth, now Mrs. Peter Billing, of Pawnee County; and Wilhelmina; and have buried their second son, John, in Humboldt Cemetery, since locating here. Mr. Speiser has actively worked in the interest of the growth and development of the public and social life of his locality. His house was the headquarters for the first elections in the precincts surrounding, and he has the honor of having one of them bear his name as a memorial of the efficient services in those early times.
E. P. TINKER, general merchant, Humboldt, was born in Lorain County, Ohio, in 1838; received his education at Oberlin, Ohio. Came to Nebraska in 1858 and located here. Took up the agricultural and stock industry, with which he has been connected since. He was married in 1869, to Miss Almeda Berry, from Henry County, Ill., and who died in 1876, leaving two sons, Arthur E. and Alonzo C. In 1879, he married Miss Frances A. Quackenbush, from Will County, Ill. They have one son, Alwin H. In 1871, he started the first lumber yard in Humboldt, which he sold out in 1875, and soon after engaged in the general merchandise business, with which he has been actively connected since. He is also largely interested in the real estate business, being the original owner of about half the town site of Humboldt, and several fine farms in the vicinity. At the breaking out of the Rebellion in 1861, Mr. Tinker enlisted in a Nebraska Company, which was afterwards made a part of the Fifth Iowa Cavalry, Company C, and was in active service until the close of the war, having re-enlisted as veteran January 1, 1864. He was wounded December 25, 1864, at Pulaski, Tenn., in a hand to hand encounter, by a pistol shot in the arm and shoulder, while trying with a small detachment to cut off the retreat of Hood's rear guard. In August, 1865, he received an honorable discharge, and especial mention by his Colonel for gallant conduct in many engagements. He has been for the past year Commander of William Mix Post No. 66, G. A. R. He has taken an active interest in the social life of his locality since coming here, and is known as an earnest and consistent temperance man, and in the City Council, of which he is a member, and elsewhere, always casts his vote for the side of temperance and humanity.
HON. W. W. TURK, president of the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank, at Humboldt, was born in Butler County, Penn., in 1847 and was reared to the farming industry with which he was identified there till 1864 when he enlisted in the service in Company B, Sixth Pennsylvania Regiment Heavy Artillery, and remained in active service till the end of the war when he was honorably discharged and pensioned. After the war he turned his attention to study and took up a literary course in the Witherspoon Institute, Butler County, Penn., with which he remained till 1867 when he came west and located in Page County, Iowa, where he remained in connection with the teaching profession principally till 1872 when he came here and engaged at the drug business which he carried on actively until 1879. He then retired from it and joined the extensive general hardware and agricultural implement firm of Nims, Frazer & Turk and accepted his present position as bank president. In 1872 he married Miss Maggie Alexander, who was born in Pennsylvania and reared in Iowa. They have two daughters, Edna M., and Wilma. Mr. Turk has always taken an active interest in the growth and development of the social and industrial life of his locality. In 1880 he was elected to the Senatorial incumbency of the First District of Richardson County which he at present occupies and has been active in many minor municipal official positions.
SOLON B. WELLS, proprietor of the People's Mills, West Humboldt, was born in Rock Island County, Ill., in 1847. At the age of twelve years he removed with his people to Richardson County, Neb., where he was raised and educated. In 1863 he enlisted in Company C, Seventh Kansas Volunteers, and was in active service in the Western Department until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged. In 1872 he visited the mining regions of the far west and after an absence of four and one-half years he returned and entered upon his present business. In 1879 he married Miss Maggie Lee, who was born and raised in Clinton County, Ind. They have one son, Lawrence Cass. Mr. Wells has been an active worker in the growth and development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here. Merit Wells, father of Solon Wells, is a native of Vermont and removed to Rock Island County, Ill., about 1829 and followed farming and milling there until 1859 when he located here and has been connected with milling and farming here since. His first wife was Sophia Edwards, a native of Vermont, by whom he had three sons, Solon B., Victor S., and Darius F. In 1849 she passed away and is buried in Rock Island County, Ill. In 1852 he married Rachel Grant, a native of Michigan, who is buried in Humboldt Cemetery in 1876, leaving one daughter, Florence N., now Mrs. Oliver Meeker. The Peoples Mills are located on the Nemaha about one mile west of Humboldt and are run by water power with a capacity of manufacturing from 30,000 to 40,000 bushels of wheat flour and feed per annum. It has two run of buhrs and was established in 1873. The present proprietors, Wells & Tinker, took charge of it in 1877, and have very successfully operated it since their trade consists both of custom and merchants' trade.
M. R. WILSON, Deputy Sheriff of Richardson County, Humboldt, was born in Edgar County, Ill., in 1846, March 16, and was reared in Warren County, Iowa, he having removed there with his parents about 1854. After arriving at the age of eighteen he moved to Jasper County, Iowa, where he conducted farming operations until 1870 when he came here and located and has been actively connected with the agricultural and stock industry of this locality since. In 1873 he married Miss Ella S. Saunders who was born in Maine in 1854, moved to Wisconsin in 1860, where she was raised and educated, and came to Nebraska in the fall of 1871. Mr. Wilson has always been an active worker in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here. He has held the present incumbency since 1882 and many minor municipal official positions.