Natural Resources | Early History | Stephen Story | A Severe Winter|
Pioneer Hunters | Lynch Law for Horse-Thieves
The Half-Breed Line | The County Seat Troubles
The Killing of Davis and Meek | County Roster | the Epidemic of 1860
Claim Jumping | The Jayhawkers of '62 | The Underground Railway|
The Grasshopper Scourge | Defunct Towns | War Record
Milling Interests | Railroads
Falls City: First Permanent Residents | City Officials|
Postal Business | The Press | Fire Record | Societies
Falls City (conts.): Banks | Manufacturing Interests|
The Grain Business | Pork Packing | Falls City Hotels
Hinton's Driving Park | Public Schools | The Public School Building
5 ~ 9:
ADAMS ~ FRY | GALLAGHER ~ KREKER | LEE ~ POWELL | RANDALL ~ STRETCH | TARPLEY ~ YUTZY
Humboldt: Early Events | Railway Interests | The Public School|
Churches | The Press | Societies | Hotels | Banks and Bankers
Manufacturing Interests, Etc.
Humboldt: Biographical Sketches|
Rulo: Charles Rouleau | Elie Bedard|
Early Events | The Press | Business Interests | Churches
Societies | Biographical Sketches
Dawson: Early History | The Cyclone | Societies | Churches|
Business Interests | The Old Mill | Biographical Sketches
Salem: Early History | Hotels | The Public Schools|
Churches | Societies | Business Interests | Biographical Sketches
Arago: Biographical Sketches|
Porter Precinct | Ohio Precinct | Franklin Precinct | Liberty Precinct
Speiser Precinct | Barada Precinct | Preston
List of Illustrations in Richardson County Chapter
The town now known as Rulo was laid out in 1857, on lands belonging, under the provisions of the Prairie du Chien treaty, to the wife of Charles Rouleau. As first settled it was known as Roleau, and the orthography of the name probably should still be the same, but the constant pronunciation of the name by people of all nationalities has led to its phonetic spelling as Rulo. The old town, Rulo proper, incorporated in 1859, was embraced in the lands of Mrs. Rouleau, already mentioned, but very shortly after the laying out and first settlement of the town the part known as Rouleau and Bedard's addition was platted in. This addition was chiefly upon land belonging to Mrs. Bedard, the sister of Mrs. Rouleau, and with the old Rulo embraces all that is now the town site.
It would be difficult to find anywhere in the fertile lands of this county along the bottoms of the Nemaha or the Muddy, or on the bluffs that the line the Nebraska shore of the Missouri, a more sightly location for a town. Below and to the left, the Missouri takes a grand sweep, lapping the level Missouri shore and shouldered away from the Nebraska side by tree-covered hills. Along the bank beneath the town runs the level bottom, about 500 feet in width, and above rise the hills of the town, lacking but little of the traditional seven hills of Rome. From the tops of these hills can be seen, in a radius of ten miles, the flats of Missouri almost to the town of Bigelow, the hills of northern Kansas, and the fertile slopes of Richardson County, becoming less and less in height as they recede from the river.
Charles Rouleau, familiarly known to almost all the older inhabitants of the town as "old Charley Rulo," was born in Detroit, Mich., near the beginning of the second quarter of the present century, at exactly what time he never could tell. As the name implies, he was of French descent, presumably of Canadian French stock. Arrived at an age to start in life for himself, he joined Fremont's expedition across the plains, and with the great General saw the wonders of the new West. Returning, he married his Indian wife, and with Bedard and others took stock in land on the present site of Sioux City, Iowa. It was at about this time that he laid out Omadi, a town about ten miles west of Sioux City. In 1855 Rouleau made a trip from Sioux City to the lands which it was proposed to lay off in Richardson County to satisfy the demands of the half-breed treaty, and the following year he brought his wife to Rulo and occupied her lands. Although born in the United States, Rouleau was a typical Frenchman, hot-headed, warm-hearted and improvident. There are various wild stories extant of his lavish generosity, and in one instance he is said to have presented an entire block in the heart of the city to a comparative stranger who sang a song that took his fancy, while those who were unfortunate enough to incur his enmity could not procure land at any price. At the time of his death in 1876 he had succeeded in squandering the majority of what should have been a vast fortune.
Bedard, who was Rouleau's brother-in-law, having married a squaw sister of Mrs. Rouleau, was born in Quebec, about 1825, in "Cheilbourg," and was a partner of Rouleau in many of his undertakings. In Sioux City he was a partner in the land speculation, at Omadi he was interested, and when Rulo was founded he was not long in reaching it. As far as the meager record of the time go to show, he was knit to Rouleau by the strongest ties. Together they speculated in lands, gambled and drank. It is a curious fact that while the majority of the early pioneers were hearty and healthy as late as 1882, of the party that made Rulo scarce a man is now alive. Rulo was little more than fifty at the time of his death, and Bedard dying in 1876 could have been a little older.
The first store opened in Rulo was operated by Martin & Goldsberry. It was shortly followed by that of Easley & Sherer. The first blacksmith shop was operated by Joseph Brazo. The first shop to engage in the lumber business was D. T. Easley, who opened his yard at about the time of the first settlement.
The first school was taught in 1860. The money for defraying its expenses being raised by private subscription. This was followed in 1861 by a public school taught by T. V. Thomas, in a building erected at a cost of $450; the building fund being raised by private subscriptions. In 1867 the needs of the town for increased school facilities caused the building of the present capacious and neat structure. To defray the expenses of this work, bonds in the sum of $3,400 were issued by the district, and the proceeds of these being insufficient, about $1,000 more was raised by private subscription. The bonds bearing date of 1867, and having still five years to run, are now more than one-half paid up and canceled.
The first teacher of the newly divided school was L. Messler, who had two lady assistants. The present teachers are, Prof. Hicks, principal, Mrs. M. Jones and Mrs. M. A. Kanaly, assistants. The present attendance is nearly sixty.
The first paper published in Richardson County was the Rulo Western Guide, owned by the Rulo Town and Ferry Company, and edited by A. D. Kirk and F. M. Barrett. This sheet made its debut in May, 1858, and was continued exactly one year, and then purchased by Kirk and C. A. Hergesheimer, the latter of whom had been typographic devil from its first issue, who ran it until the war of 1861-'65, when it was suspended for lack of patronage. It was resurrected in 1864 as the Nebraska Register, and continued to 1869, when it was sold to H. A. Buel, who shortly turned it over to Samuel Brooks, who ran it two years, an then removed it to Salem, where it shortly died.
The Rulo Independent was started in February 1878, by Messrs. Sheffield, and was intended for a worthy exponent of the southeast corner of the county, but never gained enough of a foothold to be remunerative, and was very short lived.
The Hosford & Gagnon Sawmill.--The first saw mill put in operation near Rulo was that of Hosford & Gagnon, which began work in 1879 at the river side just above town. This mill is fitted with an engine of thirty-six horse-power, and a full outfit of other material, the whole costing not less than $1,600. The principal woods handled are black walnut and cottonwood, procured in Missouri at points above Rulo, and rafted down by men employed by the firm. Twenty-two men, in all, are kept constantly at work.
The Rulo Sawmill.--This mill was erected in September, 1881, at the foot of Rulo street, by Phillips & Hoyt. Power is supplied by two boilers acting through a forty horse-power engine, the whole, with the sheds and buildings of the company, costing over $3,000. The capacity of the mill is stated at 15,000 feet per day of ten hours. The company has a force of men getting out lumber and rafting, and in this way have a constant investment in logs and machinery aggregating $10,000.
Rulo City Mills.--Rulo, although not on the direct line of the Atchison & Nebraska Railway, boasts one of the largest mills in the State. The Rulo City Mills were built in 1877 by Israel May, at a cost of $9,000. The building is thirty by forty feet on the ground floor, and has three stories. Power is supplied by a fifty horse-power boiler and engine. Five run of buhr-stones are in use, four being used on wheat and one on meal and feed. The capacity of the mill is seventy-five barrels of high grade flour per day, and work is continued night and day.
In 1879 the mill was sold by Mr. May to Hosford & Gagnon, who now operate it. The elevator attached is forty by fifty feet on the ground floor, has three stories, and a capacity of 25,000 bushels. It is seventy feet in height. This building was erected in 1880 by Hosford & Gagnon at a cost of nearly $6,000. A dump and a sheller, with a capacity of a carload per hour, are part of the fixtures of the building.
Breweries.--Rulo has had two manufactories of lager beer since 1857, but of these only one was a permanent institution of the place. In 1858, one Hoffman started a small brewery and carried on business for about a year with fair success, but after he sold the business it rapidly dwindled and was abandoned about 1860.
In 1866, August Werner started the Rulo Brewery in the building where the business is still conducted. This is a substantial structure twenty by thirty-five feet on the ground floor, and has two stories and a basement. The capacity of the house is 7,000 kegs of beer annually, but its trade has been very little pushed of late years and probably less than one thousand kegs are now consumed. The business was purchased in 1881, by E. E. Elshire, who now conducts it. In addition to storage capacity above ground the house has a beer cellar forty-five by twelve feet.
First Methodist Episcopal Church, North.--The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Rulo was organized in 1864, by Rev. P. B. Ruch, although Mr. W. D. Searles had been largely instrumental in the preparatory work. The church edifice was erected in 1877, at a cost of $1,250. It should be stated that the upper part of the church forms a hall owned by the Masonic fraternity, and that each society built its own part, the upper costing about $600.
A Sabbath school was established in 1865, with a membership of twelve, and meetings have been held continuously, except during the winters of 1880-81, 1881-82, the school was re-organized in 1882, and now has an average attendance of sixty-seven. Beginning with Rev. P. B. Ruch, in 1865, the following long line of pastors have officiated in this church, J. W. Dusky, 1866; A. Williams, 1867; W. S. Blackburn, 1868; R. C. Johnson, 1869-70; R. Bourge, 1871; D. H. May, 1872; S. D. Roberts, 1873-74; R. C. Johnson, 1875-76; G. H. Wehn, 1877; I. Reed, 1878-80; E. Martin, 1880-81; J. W. Taylor, 1882.
The First Baptist Church.--The first Baptist Church of Rulo was organized on June 29, 1866, with over thirty members. Its first meetings were held in the old schoolhouse. The church edifice was built in 1874, at a cost of $1,400, the society receiving aid from the Baptist Home Missionary Society, to the extent of $500. The first pastor was Rev. E. D. Thomas, who was duly followed by Rev. G. T. Webster, Rev. F. Raw, Rev. B. F. Lawlor. Rev. Mr. Beardslee of Falls City has officiated several times, but can hardly be called a regular pastor.
The services of the church are now conducted by Rev. B. F. Lawlor of Salem. The society has lost largely from death and removal and has at this time a membership of nine.
A Sabbath school was organized in 1875, and had at one time a membership of eighty, but has been discontinued for some years.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of Rulo, was organized in 1872, with a membership of six. The first meetings of the society were held in the old schoolhouse, under the charge of Rev. H. Hedgepeth, who was presiding elder at the time. After the organization of the church it was supplied by Rev. Jacob McCune, circuit rider of the district, for one year. He was followed by Rev. A. Williams, 1873-74; T. Hedgepeth, 1874-75; C. W. Sharp, 1875-76; Jacob McCune, 1876-77; Isaac Naylor, 1877-78; Jacob McCune, 1878-79; J. Anderson, 1879-80; A. Austin, 1880; to the present time. This society meets in the Baptist church. The present membership is twenty.
The Christian Church.--The society of the Christian Church have no church building and no regular services, but are supplied at irregular intervals by traveling preachers.
St. Peter's Episcopal Church.--The Episcopal Society was founded in 1867 by Rev. Thomas Betts, who arrived upon the work on July 1, of that year. The preacher was met by Messrs. Hollebaugh and Hergesheimer, who by strenuous efforts got together the material for a church society. A church building was erected the same year, the corner stone being laid on the 6th of November. Rev. Mr. Betts, who is known the country through as Father Betts, was followed by Rev. Mr. Nash and Mr. Stoddard, then held the pastorate a second time and was followed by Mr. Jones, Mr. Russell and the present incumbent is Rev. Philip Carey, of Falls City, who reads service once each month at this place. Father Betts died in 1878, and is buried close to the church which owes him its existence.
The Church of the Immaculate Conception.--This church of the Roman Catholic faith antedates any records of the other creeds now flourishing in the town. The first attempt to found a church at this place was made by Father Foarmont, in 1858, when he started the building of a stone church. This edifice, however, was never completed. Some years later, Father William Kelley commenced the erection of a frame building, and in 1870 under the pastorate of Rev. Theo. Majerus, a brick edifice was built. This structure was blown down the same fall. The present church was built in 1872 and a pastoral residence purchased in 1881. The present pastor of the church, which now embraces 100 families, is Father J. A. Bushman.
Orient Lodge No. 13, A., F. & A. M.--was chartered on June 19, 1867, the constituent members being W. R. Cain, Jacob Schaff, H. Boyd, C. A. Hergesheimer, J. V. Hollebaugh, Thomas Harpster, Joshua Murray, Z. J. Parsons, J. C. Blair et. al., as it appears on the charter scroll. The first officers of the lodge were: J. V. Hollebaugh, W. M.; Jacob Schaff, S. W.; Hugh Boyd, J. W. The present officers of the society are: A. P. Forney, W. M.; George D. Harris, S. W.; John R. Jones, J. W.; I. H. Jones, treasurer, George D. Kirk, secretary; Z. J. Parsons, S. D.; H. W. Walker, J. D.; D. Van Valkenburg, T. The present membership of the lodge is twenty-five. Meeting are held every Monday on or before the full moon in the hall of the society, occupying the upper part of the Methodist Church. This hall was erected at a cost of $600 and has been fully paid for, the society now being out of debt.
Rulo Lodge, No. 12, I. O. O. F.--Was chartered on January 28, 1869, and is the oldest lodge in the county. The charter members of the order were George W. Morris, W. Vanlue, Gottfried Haid, S. N. Perry, George P. Uhl, William H. Dye and Hugh Boyd. W. Vanlue was the first Noble Grand and Hugh Boyd the first Secretary. The society now numbers fifteen members and has the following officers: M. J. LeBlanc, N. G.; George E. Taylor, V. G.; George W. Carpenter, R. S.; H. Boyd, Treasurer; George D. Kirk, W.; W. T. Collins, I. G.; Z. J. Parsons, O. G. Meetings are held each Wednesday in Masonic Hall. The society now owns a lot in town and has about $400 surplus.
Rulo Lodge No. 132, I. O. G. T.--Was organized on June 7, 1878, with a membership of twenty-two and the following officers: O. W. Ball, W. C. T.; Alice Kirk, V. T.; H. M. Edgecomb, chaplain; J. F. Sheffield, Secretary; S. Taylor, Treasurer; Mattie Hern, I. G.; I. J. Pepinpaugh, O. G.; Meetings were held in Masonic Hall until some time in 1880, when the society died out.
SAMUEL S. ARNOLD, farmer, Sections 1 and 2, P. O. Rulo, settled on his present place in 1865. He has 160 acres in the home farm devoted to grain, cattle and hogs, turning off about seventy head yearly. Mr. Arnold was born in Seneca County, Ohio, April 22, 1839. Was educated in his native county and continued there engaged in farming until 1865 when he moved to Nebraska. Mr. A. was married in Seneca County, Ohio, October 13, 1861, to Miss Sarah M. Heter, of that county. They have three children, William E., Manhattan, and Ida. Mr. A. has been a member of the School Board and a member of the Evangelical Church.
BOUDRIE & SON, wagonmakers, blacksmiths, and house and sign painting. Business established in 1866 by Mr. Boudrie Sr. Present firm formed in 1882. Jacob Boudrie was born in Canada, P. Q., February 15, 1826. Learned his trade there and followed it until 1863 when he located in Kankakee County, Ill. Remaining there until 1866 in which year he settled in Rulo. Mr. B. was married in Montreal District, Canada, November 19, 1852, to Miss Sadie Frachmontangue. They have five children living, Sarah, now Mrs. Earl, Jacob M., Michel, Eliza, now Mrs. Earl, Vestina. Mr. B. is a member of the Catholic Church. Jacob M. Boudrie, junior member of the firm, was born in Province Quebec, Canada, April 14, 1857. Learned his trade with his father and followed it all his life. During 1877 and 1878 was located in Deadwood, D. T., then moved to Corning, Mo., remaining until 1879, then returned to Rulo. Mr. B. was married in Rulo, Neb., February 7, 1882, to Miss Ursal Koebrich, of Rulo.
HUGH BOYD, contractor and builder, was born in Lancaster County, Pa., August 1, 1833. Was educated in his native county and learned the carpenter trade which he followed there till he came West. After locating in Iowa a few months he settled in Rulo, Neb., in 1857 and commenced present business in which he has since continued building in that time all the principal buildings in Rulo. Mr. Boyd was married in Rulo, Neb., February 12, 1867, to Miss Dora Vetter, of Rulo. They have four children living, Joseph, Grant, Carrie and Dollie. Mr. B. is a member of Rulo Lodge No. 12, I. O. O. F.
REV. J. A. BUSHMAN, pastor of the Catholic Church at Rulo. Father Bushman is a native of Indiana. He was born in Fort Wayne, March 1, 1855. Received his preliminary schooling in that city. In 1870 he entered the Seminary of Saint Francis, Milwaukee, Wis., where he received his classical course of study. In 1876 he became attached to the Seminary of Our Lady of Angels at Niagara Falls, N. Y. Was ordained by Bishop Stephen Vincent, of Buffalo, N. Y., May 22, 1880. Was then appointed Curate at Crete, Neb., where he remained until he took his present charge, February 9, 1881.
GEORGE W. CARPENTER, County Commissioner, was elected to present position November, 1880. Mr. C. was born in Ontario, Canada, January 13, 1847. In 1853 his parents moved to Sanilac County, Mich., and in 1858 to McLean County, Ill., and afterward returned to Michigan. In 1864, George W. enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Fiftieth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry and served until January, 1866, when he was mustered out and returned to Illinois. The same year he moved to St. Joseph, Mo., and opened a livery stable. In October, 1868, he settled in Rulo, Neb., and engaged in livery business until 1875. Was appointed Deputy Sheriff and served during 1876 and 1877. Has since that time been engaged in farming and stock raising. Mr. C. was married in Falls City, Neb., January 9, 1870, to Miss Margaret J. Thomas, of Rulo. They have one child, Jennie E. Mr. C. is a member of Rulo Lodge No. 12, I. O. O. F., and of Veteran Post No. 84, G. A. R.
JOSIAH CHAMBERS, wagon maker; business established in 1878, by Mr. C. He was born in Gosport, Owen Co., Ind., December 26, 1823. Learned his trade in his county and followed it there until 1842, when he moved to Quincy, Ill., where he engaged in running a turning lathe. From there he moved to Pike County, Ill., where he remained about eight years engaged in carpentering, Then moved to Macon County, Mo. In 1858, he settled in Nebraska; first located in Nemaha County. In 1861, he went to the present site of Lincoln, where he engaged in manufacturing salt. Was the first Sheriff elected in that district. In 1864, was run out by the Indians, and then settled in Nodaway County, Mo., where he engaged in bridge building. In 1867, located at Brownville, where he established the firm of Chambers Brothers in furniture manufacturing. Two years later the firm engaged in saw milling in Holt County, Mo., and from there Josiah moved to Rulo in 1878. Mr. C. was married in Pike County, Ill., to Miss Mary Billings. She died in Missouri, leaving four children, Ursilla, now Mrs. Lovett; Jane, now Mrs. Muas, John and Wilhemena. He was married to his present wife in Holt County, Mo. She was Mrs. Elizabeth Duncan of that county. Mr. C. belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. M. DAVIS, Postmaster, was born near Hannibal, in Marion Co., Mo., March 24, 1842. Educated in his native county and came from there to Nebraska in 1857, with his parents. They located in Richardson County. In 1861, J. M. enlisted in Company H, Eighth Regiment Kansas Volunteers; served three years. He returned to Nebraska and in 1866 established the business he is no engaged in--restaurant, confectionery, etc. Appointed Postmaster in 1874, and has retained the position since. He was married in Rulo, Neb., April, 1865, to Miss Van Lue, of Ohio. They have three children, Clement, William R. and J. Edward. Mr. D. is a member of Rulo Lodge No. 12, I. O. O. F.
H. M. EDGECOMB, livery, feed and sale stable, succeeded J. Randolf in 1879. Has about eighteen head of horses and a full compliment of carriages, etc. Mr. E. was born in Waldo County, Me., September 24, 1839. Was educated in his native county. In 1852, he removed with his parents to Putnam County, Ohio, where he remained engaged in farming until 1865, when he settled in Richardson County, Neb., and bought a farm on which he lived until he purchased the present business. He was married in Putnam County, Ohio, August 10, 1862, to Miss Carrie Shaff of that county. They have two children, Frank and May. Mr. E. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
CHARLES GAGNON, of Hosford & Gagnon, is a native of Canada. He was born at Three Rivers, P. Q., November 3, 1835. Educated in Canada. In 1854, he located in Sioux City, Iowa, where he was employed on the ferry boat. In 1860, he moved to Nebraska, settled in Rulo and formed a partnership with Mr. Hosford, which has since continued in freighting, mercantile and mill business. Mr. G. was married in Sioux City, Iowa, June 16, 1858, to Miss Hermoine Gondrou, a native of Canada. They have eight children, Adele, now Mrs. Simon; Melvina, Henry, Charles, Hermoine, Pauline, Agnes and Edward. Mr. G. is a member of the School Board. Is City Treasurer. Has been City Counselor three or four terms.
JOHN GAGNON, attorney at law, was born in the Province of Quebec, Canada, October 27, 1848; he was educated there. In 1866, he left Canada for Montpelier, Vt., where he remained until December, 1869. From there he came to Rulo, Neb., where he was engaged in the mercantile house of Hosford & Gagnon until 1877, when he commenced reading law in the law office of Hon. T. C. Hoyt. He was admitted to the bar in 1879, and immediately after his admission to the bar he attended the law school of Missouri University at Columbia, Mo., where he graduated and received the degree of L. L. B. in 1880. He then returned to Rulo, Neb., where he has since been engaged in the law practice.
E. K. GRAVES, manufacturer of brick. Business established in 1870 by Mr. G. He burns from 300,000 to 400,000 annually. Mr. G. was born in Knox County, Tenn., May 14, 1826. Learned his trade there with his father and followed it until 1859, when he moved to Glenwood, Mills Co., Iowa, where he engaged in brick making until 1863, when he settled in Nebraska. Was first located at Plattsmouth; about one year later moved six miles below on the Missouri River, where he remained until he settled in Rulo in 1870. He was married in Knox County, Tenn., August 7, 1850, to Miss Bayliss of that county. They have seven children, Jefferson M., George W., William, Samuel, Annie, Frank and Charles.
WILLIAM M. HETER, farmer, Section 35; P. O. Rulo. Mr. Heter is a native of Pennsylvania. He was born is what was formerly Union County, now called Schneider County, December 9, 1816. His parents were old residents of that section. They moved to Wayne County, Ohio, and some three years later, or about 1828, to Seneca County, Ohio. William M. remained with his parents until 1839, when he struck out for himself, and opened up a farm in Seneca County, Ohio, where he remained engaged in farming until 1865, when he moved to Nebraska and settled on his present homestead. He is not managing the farm personally, having turned that over to his sons. There are 180 acres in the home farm, devoted to grain and stock. Mr. H. was married in Seneca County, Ohio, March 11, 1838, to Miss Elizabeth Decker, a native of Wayne County. They have had seven children; Lydia, Mrs. E. Sheritt, now deceased; Sarah M., now Mrs. S. S. Arnold; Julia, Mrs. S. B. Hoffnell, now deceased; Hattie, Freeman, John and Austia. Mr. H. was appointed Railroad Commissioner to examine for acceptance the first ten miles of the B. & M. R. R. Freeman Heter, son of the above, was born in Seneca County, Ohio, October 16, 1846; came to Nebraska with his parents; was married in Holt County, Mo., January 1, 1870, to Miss Elizabeth C. Duncan of Holt County. They have one child--Hattie E.
S. B. HOFFNELL, farmer, Section 11, P. O. Rulo, settled on present place in 1868. Has 160 acres in home farm, and fifty acres outlying, devoted to grain and stock, principally Berkshire hogs, of which he turns off sixty to seventy head annually. Mr. Hoffnell was born in Snyder County, Pa., November 25, 1836. He was educated in his native county, and also in Mifflin County, Pa. He learned the carpenters' trade here and in Sandusky County, Ohio, where he moved in 1859, and followed it until 1862. In the latter year he enlisted in Company A, Fifty-fifth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until mustered out, at the close of the war. Was attached to the Eleventh and Twenty-second Army Corps. He returned to Ohio, and the same year settled in Richardson County, Neb. Engaged in carpentering about one year, then in farming, doing some little at his trade. Mr. H. was married to his first wife in Richardson County, Neb., January 4, 1866. She was Miss Julia Heter, and died leaving two children--Clara E. and Willie. He was married to his present wife in Richardson County, March 13, 1877. She was Miss Rebecca Walker, of Richardson County. They have one child--Edwin M. Mr. H. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
GEORGE C. HOLT, retired merchant, is a native of Missouri. He was born in Platte County August 24, 1839. His father died while he was an infant. In 1844 his mother moved to Andrew County, where he received his education. He settled in Richardson County, Neb., in 1857, clerking for a time at Salem, then moved to Colorado where he engaged in mining until 1864, when he returned to Salem and went in partnership with his brother in a general store; firm dissolved the following year. In 1866, Mr. H. settled in Rulo, and from that time until 1878 was actively engaged in business. Since 1878 he has been engaged in looking after his private real estate interest. Mr. Holt was married in Rulo, Neb., April 26, 1871, to Miss Mary Whittinghall, a native of New York State. They have two children living--John William and George Elmer.
HOSFER & GAGNON, proprietors, Rulo City Mills. The mill was built in 1877 by Mr. May. Present firm bought the property in 1879. It is a steam mill, with an engine of forty-five horse power. The elevator has a capacity of 20,000 bushels; the mill of seventy-five barrels daily. They employ seven men. J. W. Hosford, of the above firm was born in Crawford County, Pa., January 24, 1835. Received his education in his native county. In 1857 he moved to Kansas, and engaged in general occupations until 1860, when he settled in Rulo, Neb., and engaged in freighting across the plains to Denver, Laramie, etc. This continued until the completion of the U. P. R. R. in 1867. He then engaged in mercantile business in Rulo until 1880, then sold out to L. S. Phillips. Mr. Hosford was married in Rulo, Neb., July, 1874, to Miss Pamelia Easley of Rulo. They have two children--Lottie S. and Mary M. Mr. H. is a member of the City Council, is City Treasurer, and member of School Board. He is also a member of Orient Lodge, No 13, A. F. & A. M.
T. C. HOYT, steam saw mill. Built mill in fall of 1881 and commenced business in the following spring. Cuts native lumber entirely. Employs about twenty-five men in all in mill and woods. Has a forty horse power engine and has a capacity of about 15,000 feet daily. Mr. Hoyt is a native of Vermont. He was born in Franklin County, January 8, 1844. In 1855 his parents moved to Monroe County, Wis., where he attended school, finishing his studies in Appleton, Wis. Read law in Sparta and was admitted to the bar in September, 1867. In 1869 he moved to Nebraska, located in Falls City, where he engaged in practicing. In 1871 he settled in Rulo and engaged in practice until he established his present business. Mr. Hoyt was married in Newcastle, Ind., in 1874, to Miss Beam, of that place. Mr. H. is a member of the Masonic fraternity--Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. He was elected to the State Senate in 1874 and served one term.
GEORGE D. KIRK, Justice of the Peace and insurance and collecting agent. In insurance he represents the Hartford, of Hartford, and Phoenix, of Hartford. Mr. K was born in Mason County, Ky., February 16, 1847. He was educated in his native county, and engaged in farming there until 1868, when he settled in Rulo, Neb. Engaged in insurance and collection business in 1876. Was elected Justice of the Peace in 1878. Served as constable four years. Is now one of the Village Trustees, City Treasurer and Assistant Postmaster. Mr. K. was married in Rulo, Neb., September 1, 1877, to Miss Mattie Hurn, of Rulo. They have two children, Susan M. and Jennie C. Mr. K. is a member of the Orient Lodge No. 13, A., F. & A. M., and Rulo Lodge No. 12, I. O. O. F.
F. KITCH, farmer, Section 10. Settled on present place in 1865. Has 240 acres on the home farm. Raising grain and stock, the latter consisting of cattle, horses and hogs. Mr. Kitch was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, March 25, 1831. He left home about 1855, and located for a time in Iowa and Minnesota. In May, 1858, he settled in Richardson County, Neb. Engaged in general occupation until about 1861, since that has farmed. He was married in Richardson County, Neb., September 25, 1862, to Miss Melinda Lamb, who came to the county in 1856. They have five children, Florry A., Mary, Emma, Louis E. and Edith E. Mr. K. has been Town Constable three years.
HON. JOHN KLOEPFEL, member Legislature and farmer, Section 36, P. O. Rulo. Settled on present place in 1868. There are 180 acres in the home farm, devoted to grain, stock and fruit. He is turning his attention to the breeding of cattle, having a full blooded Durham at the head of his herd. Mr. Kloepfel was born in Hesse-Cassel, Germany, April 5, 1835. Received his education in his native country and engaged in farming. In the fall of 1854 he came to the United States and spent some months looking up a location, and the following February settled in Nebraska City, Neb., and since that time has been engaged in general occupations up to time he settled on present farm. He was married in Richardson County, March 30, 1862, to Miss Annie Buchmann, of Richardson County, though a native of Prussia. They have eight children, Louisa, John, Emma, Annie, Henry, Ida, Herman and Martha. Mr. K. was elected to represent Richardson County in the State Legislature in 1878, and re-elected in 1880. Has been a member of the School Board about ten years and is a member of the German Society of Falls City.
M. J. LeBLANC, dealer in hardware, drugs, paints, oils, stationery, and agricultural implements. Drug business established in 1878, agricultural implements added in 1878. In the latter business he carries all kinds of implements. Representing principally the Pekin Plow Company and John Deere & Co. Mr. LeBlanc was born in Montgomery County, Louisiana, November 19, 1845. Educated at "Alexandria College." On the breaking out of the late war, he ran away and joined the Southern Army. Remaining in the service until 1864, in which year he settled in Johnson County, Mo., where he engaged in milling and stock raising. In 1870 moved to Omaha, and from there to Plattsmouth, where he operated a sawmill until 1874, when he settled in Rulo, engaging in the same business until he established present business. Mr. LeBlanc was married in Rulo, Neb., May 22, 1878, to Miss Mary Easley, of Rulo. They have one child living--Bessie May. Mr. LeBlanc is a member of Orient Lodge, No. 12, A., F. & A. M., and Rulo Lodge, No. 13, I. O. O. F.
T. E. MARGRAVE, general store. Business established at Rulo in 1880. Mr. Margrave was born in Lynn County, Iowa, September 3, 1839. Was raised in Iowa and Illinois. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Twentieth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Was attached to the "Army of the Tennessee." After serving three years he was mustered out, returned to Illinois and the same year (1864) settled in Richardson County, Neb., where he established a mercantile business and also dealing in stock and grain. Continued there until present business was established. Mr. M. was married in Putnam County, Ill., to Miss Hannah D. Henderson of that county. They have five children--Margaret, George, Jane, Alfred, Elizabeth. He is a member of the G. A. R.
JOSEPH H. MILES, general store. Mr. M. succeeded B. F. Cunningham in 1880. He carries a stock of about $10,000. Mr. M. was born in York County, Pa., December 15, 1852. In 1855, his father, S. B. Miles, came to Richardson County and in 1862 his son, Joseph, who was about ten years old, joined him. Joseph H. was educated at Atchison College, finishing at the Peru Normal School, Peru, Neb. He then returned home and engaged in the cattle business for several years. . Mr. M. was married in Rulo, Neb., January 31, 1882, to Miss Easley, a daughter of D. T. Easley, of Rulo. Mr. M. is a member of the K. of P. of Sedalia, Mo.
JAMES MOONEY, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Rulo, settled on present farm in 1868. Has 240 acres in the home farm and some twenty-five acres outlying. Raises both grain and stock, making a specialty of the latter. Has a pure blood Durham at the head of his herd and some graded cows. Mr. Mooney was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, May 4, 1833. He came to the United States in 1850, and engaged in general occupations in different places until 1863, when he moved to Nebraska, and settled on present homestead. Mr. M. was married in Richardson County, Neb., May, 1860, to Miss Julia Ryan, of Richardson County. They have five children--Thomas B., Annie, Maggie, John W. and James. He is a member of the Catholic Church.
JOSHUA MURRAY, farmer, located in present position in 1861. Mr. M. has 145 acres in the home farm, and has an outlaying 160 acre tract. He devotes his attention to cattle, raising corn for feeding purposes. Mr. M. was born in Richland County, Ohio, August 9, 1832. He removed with his parents to Iowa, about 1852. In 1856, he settled in Rulo, Neb., engaging in general occupations until 1861. He was married in Sidney, Iowa, May, 1860, to Miss Elizabeth Shirey, of that town. Mr. M. is a member of Orient Lodge, No. 13, A., F. & A. M.
DR. H. W. PARCHEN, physician and surgeon, is a native of Buffalo, N. Y., where he was born September 27, 1856. His parents settled in Richardson County, Neb., in 1859. He attended the Peru Normal School, and then entered Bryant's Commercial College in St. Joseph, Mo., graduating in 1873. He then engaged in drug business, in Montana until 1877, when he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Keokuk. The smallpox breaking out there, he was obliged to finish his studies at the Northwestern Medical College, at St. Joseph, Mo., from which he graduated February 21, 1882, and immediately after began the practice of his profession at Rulo.
PHILLIPS & HOYT, general store. Business established in December, 1880. They carry a stock of $7,000 to $8,000. L. S. Phillips, of above firm, was born in New York City, May 1, 1828. At the age of thirteen years, he struck out for himself, and settled in St. Louis, Mo. In 1847, he went to the mountains, in the interest of the American Fur Company, remaining until 1854. Then returned to the States, and engaged for a time in farming, near Sioux City, Iowa. In 1856, he settled in Rulo, Neb., first engaged in farming, then in freighting across the plains. In 1864, was for a few months, engaged as manager of a co-operative store in Rulo. Then returned to freighting, in which he continued until 1869, then organized the firm of Phillips, Schuyler & Carter, and engaged in the mercantile business about two years. In 1879, engaged in livery and lumber business, the firm being Randolph & Phillips. This continued about four years. Mr. P. then sold out, and moved to Colorado, where he kept a general store, located at Pueblo, returning to Rulo in about 1880, and organized the present firm. Mr. P. was married in Hamburg, Fremont Co., Iowa, in September, 1857, to Miss Louisa Fleury, of that place. Mrs. P. died, leaving four children, of which two survive--Sarah Louisa and Sophie Emma. Mr. P. is a member of the Orient Lodge, No. 13, A., F. & A. M.
L. E. PLUMB, dealer in lumber and building material, and manufacturer of door and window screens. Business purchased by Mr. Plumb February, 1880. He carries a stock of about $2,000. Mr. P. was born in Knox County, Ohio, March 27, 1840. He learned the carpenters' trade, and followed it until 1863, when he enlisted in Company I, Eighty-eighth Regiment, Ohio Volunteers, and served until the close of the war. In 1865, he removed to Nebraska, locating in Richardson County, where he engaged in farming until 1878, when he moved to Rulo, and engaged in merchandising until 1880. Mr. Plumb was married in Putnam County, Ohio, January, 1863, to Miss Mary Shaff, of that county. They have two children--Perry and Norris.
FRANK SIMON, dealer in drugs, fancy goods and notions; business established in 1881. Mr. S. was born in Platte County, Mo., July 22, 1858. He was educated in Leavenworth, Kas., where his parents moved in 1863; he also learned telegraphing there and was connected with C. R. I. & P. R. R., about eighteen months, then moved to St. Louis, Mo., where, after clerking a few months became connected with the St. L. & M. R. R., as station agent and operator at Belmont and other points, remained there until 1877, then moved to Nebraska and took the position of station agent at Rulo. Shortly after, removed to Lincoln, where he held the position as dispatcher on the B. & M. R. R., until he moved to Rulo to establish his present business. Mr. S. was married in Rulo, May 14, 1879, to Miss Adele Gagnon, of that city. They have one child, Harry Francis.
F. X. STEHLE, general store, business established in 1871 by Leffler & Stehle; the former retired in 1881. Mr. Stehle was born in Wurtemberg, November 22, 1835. Came to the United States in 1853, and located in Rensselaer County, N. Y., where he engaged in farming until 1856, then went to Huron County, Ohio, ran a grist mill there about four years, then moved to Defiance County, Ohio. Engaged in milling and farming in Defiance and Paulding counties until 1870, when he settled in Rulo, Neb., built a store building and opened the next spring. Mr. S. was married in Huron County, Ohio, June 24, 1862, to Miss Philimena Leffler, of that county. She died in Rulo, leaving four children--Matilda, now Mrs. S. Smith, Amelia, Robert, Henry. He married in Rulo, April 18, 1881, Mrs. Elizabeth Hall, of Rulo. Mr. S. is a member of the Catholic Church, and is ex-Mayor of that city.
E. G. WEYER, agent B. & M. R. R., in Nebraska, at Rulo Y, was born in Mathus, Scotland Co., Mo., July 23, 1853. His parents moved to Doniphan County, Kas., in 1860, and he was there educated. He commenced his railroad life in 1872, in the service of A. & N. R. R. In 1873 took a position with the M. K. & T. R. R., remaining until July, 1875, when he went to Fulton. Shortly after he returned to the A. & N. R. R. and held position as agent at Fanning and Ulysses. In 1880 took the position at Fulton, Ark., on the St. L. I. M. & S. R. R. Was appointed to present position, August 1, 1881. Mr. W. was married in Ulysses Neb., April 19, 1881, to Miss Emma J. Warren, a native of New York State.
JEROME WILTSE, Section 3 Rulo Precinct, P. O. Falls City, farmer, settled on his present farm in 1861. He operates 235 acres of land, raising grain and stock. His hogs, of which he has 100 head, are of the short faced Lancashire breed. He also makes a specialty of Italian bees, of which he has at present 120 hives. Mr. Wiltse was born in Clarence, Erie Co., N. Y., October 12, 1834. He was educated at the Lima Seminary. In December, 1859, he moved to Waukesha County, Wis., where he remained engaged in farming until he moved to Nebraska, in 1861. Mr. W. was married in Erie County, N. Y., December 7, 1859, to Miss Mary M. Wahl, of Buffalo N. Y. They have nine children living, Carlos P., Edward, George, Jerome, Albert, Clarence, John, James and Mary; Corban and David dead. Mr. Wiltse has twice been a Delegate to the Democratic State Convention. He enlisted in 1864, in Company I, Forty-eighth Missouri Volunteers, and served until the close of the war.