Natural Resources | Early History | Stephen Story | A Severe Winter|
Pioneer Hunters | Lynch Law for Horse-Thieves
The Half-Breed Line | The County Seat Troubles
The Killing of Davis and Meek | County Roster | the Epidemic of 1860
Claim Jumping | The Jayhawkers of '62 | The Underground Railway|
The Grasshopper Scourge | Defunct Towns | War Record
Milling Interests | Railroads
Falls City: First Permanent Residents | City Officials|
Postal Business | The Press | Fire Record | Societies
Falls City (conts.): Banks | Manufacturing Interests|
The Grain Business | Pork Packing | Falls City Hotels
Hinton's Driving Park | Public Schools | The Public School Building
5 ~ 9:
ADAMS ~ FRY | GALLAGHER ~ KREKER | LEE ~ POWELL | RANDALL ~ STRETCH | TARPLEY ~ YUTZY
Humboldt: Early Events | Railway Interests | The Public School|
Churches | The Press | Societies | Hotels | Banks and Bankers
Manufacturing Interests, Etc.
Humboldt: Biographical Sketches|
Rulo: Charles Rouleau | Elie Bedard|
Early Events | The Press | Business Interests | Churches
Societies | Biographical Sketches
Dawson: Early History | The Cyclone | Societies | Churches|
Business Interests | The Old Mill | Biographical Sketches
Salem: Early History | Hotels | The Public Schools|
Churches | Societies | Business Interests | Biographical Sketches
Arago: Biographical Sketches|
Porter Precinct | Ohio Precinct | Franklin Precinct | Liberty Precinct
Speiser Precinct | Barada Precinct | Preston
List of Illustrations in Richardson County Chapter
The town of Salem was laid out by J. C. Lincoln, Thomas R. Hare, and J. W. Roberts on January 30, 1855, and a plat of the town inserted in the record book of the County Commissioners. West Salem, as is shown by the same record, was laid out on May 14, 1857. This addition, now practically included in the town, was surveyed by Joseph B. Neckel and was the property of Charles McDonald and J. C. Lincoln. A large part of West Salem was donated to be county property.
Salem stands on a large hill enclosed between the north and south forks of the Great Nemaha which unite in the eastern part of the town site. The main street of the town climbs the hill and runs east and west. Along it are located all the business houses of the town which now claims a population of nearly six hundred.
The first trustees of the town were P. W. Birkhauser, H. Price, J. Van Dervoort, and Anson Rising. The first Mayor, S. H. Roberts. After passing through the bitter controversy of the location of the county seat, Salem, in 1871, was made a city, the action taking effect on March 1 under the mayoralty of O. W. Dunning. During the continuance of its existence as a city the following gentlemen held the Mayor's office. S. H. Bayne, O. W. Dunning, W. Abby, D. W. Scott, G. W. Pampel, and Dr. J. R. Brooke. By the act of 1879 which established more definite laws in relation to cities Salem was forced to return to the village form of government which has ever since continued. The present trustees of the town are O. W. Dunning, W. W. Spurlock, M. Malone, Dr. C. C. Kenney.
The first postmaster of Salem was J. C. Lincoln, a distant relative of President Lincoln and said to bear a strong likeness to the martyred victim of Booth's bullet. He was followed by John W. Holt, who resigned the office to D. A. Tisdel, on the first of March, 1869. The office has been continuously held since that time by Mr. Tisdel. The business of the office was first transacted in the store of Lincoln, removing from thence to the log part of the store now used by Dr. Clarke, in March, 1869. Subsequently it was where the bakery now stands, then again in Clarke's building, in the hardware store on the corner, on the opposite corner and finally in the building where it is now located.
The first hotel in Salem was built by D. A. Tisdel, in 1859-60. This house stood on the brow of the hill about two blocks west of the present post office, was 32x40 feet on the ground floor and had two stories. It was destroyed by fire in the fall of 1878, while under the management of G. W. Pampel.
On the first day of January, 1877, David Barrows opened a hotel in a brick building belonging to D. A. Tisdel and located about one block southeast of the present hotel building. This remained the only hotel of the town until the completion of the Tisdel House in 1880, and was run until Mr. Barrows moved into the new house in November of that year.
Like all the hotels which have been built in Salem the Tisdel House is the property of D. A. Tisdel. It stands on the south side of the main street and midway up the hill. The dimensions are 36x52 feet on the ground floor and it has three stories. Brick manufactured in the town was used for its construction and the cost of the whole was $4,500. The house was opened on September 1, 1880, by I. S. Prescott, who ran it for three months and was succeeded by Barrows and Stutzman, who leased it until February 1, 1882, when Frank Marvin, the present landlord took possession.
In June, 1870, the Board of Trustees were empowered to borrow money for the construction of a public schoolhouse, to be erected at a cost of not more than $2,000. Acting under these instructions the board took steps which resulted in the erection, the same year, of a building which is a striking feature of the town. This is the house now in use. Although the plans of the board at first contemplated the expenditure of no more than $2,000, its views were soon modified and the total amount invested allowed to reach $5,000. This money like that at first procured was not raised by the sale of bonds but by borrowing.
The first teacher of whom the school records show anything was Mattie M. Lamberton, who was appointed on April 26, 1869. She was succeeded by the following teachers, who took charge at the dates given; Nancy L. Cobb, October, 1869, Hattie Fuller and Miss Brockwell, April 30, 1870; J. L. Collier and W. H. Davis, 1871; O. D. Howe, 1872; J. W. Ewing, 1872; James A. Hart, August, 1872; J. Berry, March, 1873; Miss Mary Pampel, November, 1873; M. E. Kellogg, April, 1874; C. H. Gurney, October, 1874; I. D. Sammons, 1876; J. W. Cranmer, 1877, Mrs. Lucy Dunning, August, 1877; W. S. Roach, January, 1879; C. W. Cook, 1880; Mrs. H. A. Edson, 1881; H. W. Kennon, 1881. The enrollment of 1881 was 217, that of 1882 will probably exceed 250. At the present time there are three departments, the two lower being under the charge of Miss Minnie Campbell and Miss Maggie Williams.
The First Baptist Church.--The church building of the First Baptist Society is the first one built in Salem. It was commenced as the joint house of the Presbyterians and the Baptists, but the former society were weak in membership and decided to withdraw from the compact and leave the Baptists sole possession of the house. From the date of its commencement, in 1869, up to the present time this building has cost $4,000. It is located on the high hill which forms the western part of the town and is a fitting monument of the energy and piety of the early residents, who, within two years after their first organization, built a structure so costly for the times. This church is supplied with a good organ and all appropriate appliances for service and has a seating capacity of 300.
The first pastor of the society was Rev. E. D. Thomas, who held the office from 1869 up to the coming of the present pastor, Rev. B. F. Lawlor, in 1875.
The Sabbath school of the society was organized in 1875 under the charge of Mr. J. R. Brooke, who was succeeded about a year later by Mrs. B. F. Lawlor, who still remains superintendent.
The Free-Will Baptist Church of Salem was organized in 1868, by Rev. A. Curtis, who was its first pastor, and remained with it until 1876. A church edifice was erected in 1872-73, at a cost of $1,600. It is forty-four by twenty-six feet on the ground floor, and has a seating capacity of 250.
Mr. Curtis was followed by Rev. M. Felt, who occupied the pulpit for one year, and was succeeded by Rev. Joseph Wesley, who held the position two years. O. V. Porter Supplied the Society for six months after this time, and was followed after a lapse of nearly a year, by Rev. J. D. Van Dorn, who performed service during the winters of 1881-82.
A Sabbath school was established in 1876, with D. A. Tisdel as its superintendent, and had an average attendance of forty-four. Since that time the membership has constantly increased, and is now over seventy. The present superintendent is Miss Minnie Campbell.
The Presbyterian Church.--In 1863, Rev. John Lilly organized the First Presbyterian Church of Salem, with a membership of twenty. After acting for many years as pastor of the flock, Mr. Lilly resigned, and was followed by Rev. J. Wood, who gave up the charge in 1873, to Rev. J. N. Young. Rev. J. B. Linskea came in 1876, Rev. John Hickok in 1877, Rev. David Street in 1879, and Rev. John Foy, the present pastor, on May 1, 1880. In 1875, the society erected a church building costing $1,700, and having a seating capacity of 350. This structure was built of brick manufactured in the town.
The Sabbath school of this church was established in 1876, under the charge of R. B. McCulloch, and had at that time a membership of thirty. Since then the average attendance of the school has increased to over sixty. The present superintendent is H. H. Griffith.
Salem Lodge, No. 21, I. O. O. F., was chartered under a dispensation on July 9, 1870, with the following members: D. H. Hull, N. Snyder, D. C. Simmons, Joseph H. Allen, G. Hard, A. W. Snider. A charter was granted on October 19, of the same year. The present officers of this society are: M. H. Felt, N. G.; A. M. Forbes, V. G.; A. F. Wood, Treas.; O. M. Palmer, W.; S. H. Payne, C.; John F. Boyd, I. G.; George M. Cowles, O. G. Meetings are held in the society's hall, on lower Main street.
Salem Chapter, No. 11, Order of the Eastern Star, was organized in 1874. The names on the charter being those of Nellie Pampel, Carrie N. B. Holt, Martha Baker, Isabel Baker, Lizzie Ashley, Susan J. Barrows. The officers of the society were: G. W. Pampel, W. P.; Nellie E. Pampel, N. M.; Carrie A. B. Holt, A. M. Meetings of this society were held until 1880, but have since lapsed. At the time of its demise, the order numbered about twenty-five members on its register. Meetings were held in Odd Fellow's Hall.
Salem Lodge, No. 47, A., F. & A. M., was organized on June 26, 1874, with the following charter members: J. R. Brooke, John W. Holt, J. P. Tarpley, George W. Pampel, C. C. Kenney, Joshua Van Dervoort, H. V. Gist, Rhodes Davis, G. W. Baker, C. S. Osborn, Myron H. Felt, H. C. Van Dervoort, W. H. Weeks, S. Cowles, D. Barrows, O. W. Dunning, J. E. Ashley, D. W. Walker, J. Mettler, W. A. Nelson, S. E. Mickey, and the following officers: J. W. Holt, W. M.; G. W. Pampel, S. W.; H. V. Gist, J. W. The present membership of the society is thirty seven. The present officers are: J. R. Brooke, W. M.; J. VanDervoort, S. W.; C. C. Kenney, J. W.; O. W. Dunning, S. D.; H. H. Pierce, J. D.; L. G. Syphers, Treas. Meetings are held on each Saturday, on or before the full moon, in Odd Fellows' Hall, near the foot of Main street.
Post No. 48, G. A. R., department of Nebraska, was organized May 13, 1880. The charter members of the society were twenty-three in number, and embraced many of the best citizens of the town and surrounding country. The first officers of the society were: H. Q. Staver, C.; G. W. Sears, S. V. C.; M. H. Felt, J. V. C. The membership of the society at the present time is twenty-five. The following are the present officers: J. Van Dervoort, C.; D. C. Simmons, S. V. C.; G. W. Sears, J. V. C.; H. C. Jennings, Q. M.; H. H. Pierce, O. G.; W. H. Felt, I. G. Meetings are held on the third Monday of each month.
The Salem City Mills were built in the summer of 1878 by Denchfield Birkhauser. This mill is located on the west bank of the North Fork of the Nemaha, about two hundred feet north of the main street of the town. The building is twenty-six by forty feet on the ground floor, three stories in height, and has an office in an ell twelve by twenty feet. It is supplied with three run of buhr-stones, and manufactures the flour familiarly called "new process." Power is furnished by a forty-eight inch turbine wheel. The mill is rated at a capacity of fifty barrels of flour each twenty-four hours, but is seldom run to its full limit, generally making about forty barrels of flour daily. Two grades are manufactured from spring and two from fall wheat. The original cost of the building and machinery was $12,000, but since its purchase in February, 1879, by Valentine & Reppy, $2,000 have been expended in improvements. Five men are now employed, and the work is pushed night and day with a shift of forces. These mills make an excellent quality of flour, and are of incalculable value to the city itself and the surrounding country.
The Lumber Interest.--The banks of both forks of the Nemaha near and in Salem are heavily covered with black walnut, cottonwood, oak, and other common woods. Of these the black walnut is by far the most valuable, not only on account of its intrinsic value in the manufacture of fine furniture of all sorts, but because the constant demand of the large furniture factories has nearly exhausted the growth in Eastern States. Just across the bridge over the north fork Mr. W. R. Graves has erected a large portable sawmill of twelve horse-power, which turns out about 12,000 feet of lumber per week. Logs cut here are also largely shipped to Chicago in the rough. For the present this is a very profitable industry, but such wholesale clearing can not, of course, last long; but when the trees are all removed the owners of the land will not only have realized handsomely, but have on hand some of the richest land in the county or State.
The Lincoln Elevator.--During 1881, a year which it must be remembered was not a fair sample of business in this line, the Lincoln Elevator shipped 128 carloads of grain, at same time sending out from the yards attached 154 carloads of stock. The capacity of this elevator is 11,000 bushels of grain, and its value $4,000.
The Heacock Elevator.--During the same time the Heacock Elevator shipped 146 carloads of grain. This elevator has a storage capacity of 8,000 bushels of grain, and is valued at $3,500.
During 1881 the receipts and shipments at this point, as shown by the records of the railway company, were as follows: Receipts, eighty-six cars; shipments, 549 cars. The great apparent discrepancy between the two figures is owing to the fact that account has been taken only of goods taken in carloads, and thus the major part of the supplies which are sent by wholesale houses to the stores are not figured in.
A.H. BAKER, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Salem, settled on present place in 1879. There are 320 acres in the home farm, devoted to grain and stock. Has this year about 115 acres of corn, which he purposes feeding out. He is devoting some attention to the feeding of horses. Having as a sire a Clydesdale Norman sixteen months old weighing 1,000 pounds. Mr. Baker was born in Delaware County, N. Y., April 6, 1846. In 1856 his parents removed to Susquehanna County, Pa. A. H. was brought up on a farm. In February, 1863, he enlisted at Scranton, Pa., in Company B, One Hundred Forty-third Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. At the battle of Cold Harbor fought June 3, 1864, he was severely wounded and laid up some seven months. When convalescent returned to his regiment and served until the close of the war. He then returned home and engaged in farming until 1872, when he moved to Nebraska and settled in Richardson County. Was engaged in general occupations until 1876, when he purchased part of present farm. Since that time has engaged in farming and railroad contracting, having taken several contracts on the different divisions of the B. & M. R. R. Mr. Baker was married in Susquehanna County, Pa., December 28, 1866, to Miss Sarah Truesdale of Susquehanna County. They have five children, Clara E., Minnie, Mary M., Julia, and Arthur. Mr. B. is now the County Road Superintendent.
J. & A. BILLINGS, proprietors Tisdel House, Salem. This house was built by Mr. Tisdel in 1880, and purchased by Mr. Billings in the spring of 1882. The house is a two-story brick, 60x40 feet, and contains twenty rooms. J. & A. Billings, livery and sale stable, Salem. Business established in 1879. They keep about eighteen head of horses, and a full supply of carriages of all kinds. James Billings was born in Kentucky, September 21, 1830. About 1833 his parents moved to Pike County, Ill., where James engaged in farming until 1863, when he settled in Richardson County, Neb., and followed the same business. Is now operating about 1,000 acres, half of which is under cultivation; the balance is pasture land. He raises cattle and hogs principally. Mr. B. was married in Grundy County, Mo., December 28, 1849, to Miss Sarah T. Burgess, of Grundy County. They have three children--Abraham, of above firm, William and Francis.
J. R. BROOKE, M. D., druggist, physician and surgeon, Salem, was born in Delaware County, Pa., January 22, 1821. In 1843 he moved to Ohio and lived a time in Muskingum, Licking, and other counties. He studied medicine some in Pennsylvania, and continued in Ohio, and graduated from the Starling Medical College, Columbus, Ohio, in 1858. He practiced medicine somewhat before graduating, and continued after to practice in Ohio. In 1860 he moved to Nebraska and settled in Richardson County. Was for a few months in Rulo, and then moved to Salem, where he has since remained engaged in practice. Established the drug business about 1865, and was at one time in the mercantile business about three years. Mr. Brooke was married in Licking County, Ohio, in May, 1846, to Miss Winegarner, a daughter of Hon. Samuel Winegarner, a prominent State Senator. They have one child living, Emma B., now Mrs. S. Slossen. She is a graduate of Philadelphia Medical College, and is practising medicine at Sabetha, Kas. Mr. B. was elected to Congress from Nebraska during the war and was counted out of is seat. He is now extensively engaged in farming, having 320 acres of land near town, dealing in stock principally. Keeps about sixty head of cattle and fifty to 150 head of hogs.
JAMES R. CAMPBELL, dealer in lumber and building material, Salem. Established business in March, 1882. Mr. C. was born in Page County, Va., August 29, 1829. He was educated in his native county and commenced clerking at the age of nineteen. In 1855, he moved to Missouri and settled in Holt County, following the same business. In 1863, he came to Nebraska and settled in Richardson County. Was engaged in buying grain at St. Stephens for a time. In 1865, he moved to Salem and up to 1869 was engaged as clerk. In the latter year he engaged in mercantile business, in which he continued until the early par of 1881, when he sold out. Mr. Campbell was married in White Cloud, Kas., December 27, 1859, to Miss Mary H. Stepp of Holt County, Mo. They have three children, Minnie, Mary and William.
FELT & JORDAN, dealers in hardware and agricultural implements, Salem. Business established in 1864. Present firm organized in 1882, succeeding Felt & Hall. In implements they represent the Furst & Bradly Manufacturing Co., Harrison, Wagon, Champion Reaper, Cassiday Plow, etc., etc. Carry a stock of $7,000 to $8,000. M. H. Felt, senior member of the firm, was born in Potter County, Pa. December 22, 1844. His parents moved to Warren, Ill, in 1850, where he received his education. In 1861, he moved to Nebraska, settled in Salem and engaged in the sale of agricultural implements. In 1863, he enlisted in Company C, Seventh Regiment, Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, known as the famous "Kansas Jay Hawkers," and served until mustered out in September, 1865. He then returned to Salem, and organized the firm of Tisdel & Felt in hardware. Mr. Felt was married in Salem, June 22, 1876, to Miss Ella A. Roberts of Salem. They have one child, Carrie. Mr. F. is Junior Vice Commander of Com. Porter Post, No 48, G. A. R. Is a member of Salem Lodge, No. 47, A., F. & A. M., and Salem Lodge, No. 21, I. O. O. F. Has been a member of the Town Board and Assessor several times.
H. H. GRIFFITHS, general store and Notary Public, Salem. Business established in 1878 by Mr. G., succeeding J. R. Brooke. Mr. G. was born in McKeesport, Pa., October 11, 1844. His parents moved to Iowa County, Wis., about 1847. In February, 1865, he enlisted in Company E, Forty-ninth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer, and was mustered out in November, 1865, serving about nine months. He returned to Wisconsin and engaged in farming and teaching district school until 1869. He then moved to Nebraska and settled in Richardson County, where he engaged in farming and teaching until he bought out his present business. Mr. Griffiths was married in Iowa County, Wis., January 2, 1871, to Miss Eliza J. Tapping of Iowa County. They have four children, George T., Henry W., Robert N. and Gertrude. He was appointed Notary Public for the second term December 25, 1880; appointed first in 1874.
WILLIAM M. JORDAN, of Felt & Jordan, hardware dealers, Salem. Was born in Berkshire County, Mass., August 10, 1846. He was educated in his native county. In 1860, he moved to St. Joseph County, Mich., with his parents. His father was engaged in St. Joseph County in sash, door and blind manufacturing, and William M. was employed in his establishment until 1868, when he moved to Decatur County, Iowa, and engaged in the lumber business and carpentering. In 1876, he moved to Nebraska, settled in Richardson County and engaged in farming until the present firm was organized, in the spring of 1882. Mr. Jordan was married in Leon, Decatur Co., Iowa, February 2, 1870, to Miss Helen C. Worth, of Decatur County; born in Morence, Mich. They have four children, Nellie, Winnie, Will and Carroll. Mr. J. is a member of Salem Lodge, No. 47, A., F. & A. M., of the I. O. O. F. of Michigan, and the K. of P. of Iowa.
PROF. H. W. KENNON, principal of the Salem high school. The Professor is a native of Ohio. He was born in Guernsey County, April 22, 1837, his parents being old residents of that section. His preliminary education was received in his native county and in 1861 he entered Muskingum College, graduating therefrom in 1865. Shortly afterward he was appointed principal of the High School at Barnesville, Ohio, and afterwards held the same position at Martinsburg, Bladensburg, etc. for a period of twelve years. He taught within a radius of five miles, except one term. Was attached to a district school about nine years. In 1881 he moved to Nebraska to take his present position. Mr. K. was married near Warsaw, Coshocton Co., Ohio, July 11, 1876, to Miss E. J. Creighton, of Warsaw. They have two children, Grace Boyd and Mary Violet. Mr. K. has been a member of the Presbyterian Church for over twenty years.
DR. C. C. KENNY, physician & surgeon, Salem, was born in Ashtabula, Ashtabula Co., Ohio, May 9, 1846. Received his classical education at the Austenbery Institute. There commenced the study of medicine and graduated from the Cleveland Medical College in 1868. He commenced the practice of medicine with his old preceptor, in Erie County, Pa., and in 1869 moved to Nebraska and settled in Salem where he has since been in practice. Also kept a drug store about eight years. Dr. K. was married in Salem, October 5, 1876, to Miss Carrie Holt, of Salem. They have one child, John R. The Doctor is a Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity.
REV. B. F. LAWLER, pastor of the Baptist Church, Salem, is a native of Tennessee. He was born in Henderson County, January 31, 1834. His parents moved to St. Clair County, Mo., in 1838, where the subject of this sketch received his education. He attended the common schools and took lessons in elocution under a professor there. He was ordained in St. Clair County in 1860. His first pastorate was in Cedar County, Mo. The passage of the armies through that section broke up the church organization for some years. During this time Mr. Lawler was engaged in teaching and preaching as best he could. In 1865 he took charge of the church at Windsor, Henry Co., Mo., where he remained about eleven years. He then moved to Nebraska and took his present charge July 1, 1876, also at this time had charge of a church in the county in addition to Salem. He was married in St. Clair County, Mo., December, 1852, to Miss Susan Barrows. She died leaving several children of which there survive William E., Sarah E., now Mrs. M. G. Jones. Mr. L. was married to his present wife in Windsor, Mo. She was Mrs. Susan J. Williams Hammond, a daughter of Major J. W. Williams, of Windsor, and a prominent citizen. They have two children, Lulu G. and Frank C. He is a member of the Salem Lodge No. 47, A., F. & A. M., and of the Good Templars.
J. C. LINCOLN & CO., general store and dealers in grain and stock, Salem. Present firm organized January 1, 1880, succeeding Hon. J. C. Lincoln. The company consists of W. W. Spurlock and W. E. Lawler. They carry a stock of about $15,000. Their grain elevator has a capacity of 10,000 bushels. J. C. Lincoln was born in Clay County, Mo., March 25, 1828. In 1847 he moved to Iowa and engaged in selling goods in Page County. In 1849 he crossed the plains to California where he remained and sold goods until 1853 when he returned to Missouri and in 1855 settled in Salem, Neb., where he engaged in the mercantile business in which he has since continued with the exception of about three years. Mr. L. was married in Andrew County, Mo., July 7, 1853, to Miss E. J. Roberts of that county. They have two children, Alice L., now Mrs. W. W. Spurlock, Ruth G., now Mrs. W. E. Lawler. Mr. Lincoln was elected State Representative for the session of 1862-63, and has held offices of trust as County Clerk, Notary, Postmaster, etc.
DR. A. N. LONG, druggist and physician and surgeon, Salem. Business established in February, 1882, by Long & Hughes. The latter retired in June. Dr. Long was born in Highland County, Ohio, November 15, 1856. Took his preliminary course of study in his native county and entered the Miami Medical College at Cincinnati, Ohio, from which he graduated March 4, 1877. He practiced for a time in Ohio and Missouri, and in 1880 settled in Salem, where he has since been in practice. Dr. L. was married in Falls City, July 22, 1882, to Miss Alice N. Boyle, of Salem.
WILLIAM R. McCULLOUGH, dealer in furniture and undertakers' materials. Mr. McCullough succeeded S. Roberts in 1882. He was born in Beaver County, Pa., May 1, 1843. Was raised principally in Pittsburgh, Pa. His father removed in 1856 to Iowa, and from thence was appointed a missionary among the Indians; first, the Kickapoos, in Kansas, then the Creeks, in Indian Territory. Removed north to Kansas at the breaking out of the Rebellion. In 1863 the subject of this sketch enlisted in Company H, Fourteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry and served until mustered out in 1865. He returned to Kansas and the same year settled in Richardson County, where he engaged in farming. In 1880 he moved into Salem, and later established his present business. Mr. McC. was married in Richardson County, Neb., December 24, 1872, to Miss Emeline Greenlee, of that county. They have three children, John N., Bertha M. and Ralph E. Mr. McC. is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
B. V. RANSOM, sorgho refinery, proprietor; situated on Section 27, P. O. Salem. Business established in 1880 by Mr. R. The works have a capacity of 250 gallons in twenty-four hours. Expects to turn out this year about 4,000 gallons. His intention is to ultimately put in a steam mill and largely increase the product. Mr. Ransom, in addition to this interest, has a farm of 213 acres, devoted to grain and stock. Is engaged in breeding pure blood Jersey Red hogs, of which he has a large stock. Mr. R. was born in Oneida County, N. Y., August 29, 1831. He was educated in his native county, and moved with his parents to Ogle County, Ill., about 1848. About 1857, moved to Brown County, Kansas, and from there moved to Nebraska, and settled in Richardson County in 1866. He engaged in farming about four or five years, then took a position as traveling salesman for a Rockford, Ill., agricultural implement house, returning to his farm in 1878. Mr. Ransom was married in Ogle County, Ill., April 16, 1856, to Miss Miranda Irvine, of that county. They have two children, Eva M., Flora M.
HON. D. A. TISDEL, Postmaster, Salem, appointed in 1869, under President Grant. Mr. T. was born in Lake County, Ohio, February, 29, 1828; his parents moved to St. Joseph County, Mich., in 1834, and eleven years later to Jo Daviess County, Ill. D. A. was brought up in a hotel, under his father, and after coming of age engaged in running a hotel in Warren, Ill., in which he continued until he moved to Nebraska. In 1860, he settled in Salem, where he operated a steam sawmill about two years and then engaged in farming until the spring of 1868, when he returned to town, and for a number of years engaged in the hardware business. Is now engaged in looking after his private real estate interests, insurance and collecting agent. Mr. T. was married in Warren, Ill., March 31, 1853, to Miss Mary Jennings, a native of Ohio. She died, leaving four children, of whom there survive June, Sherman and Nettie. He married again in Salem, Neb., May 26, 1872, to Miss Melissa Margrave of Salem. They have three children, Mary, Deloss A. Jr., and Belle. Mr. T. was twice elected State Senator and once Representative. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, also his wife, Sherman and Nettie.
JOSHUA A. VAN DERDOORT, retired, Salem, is a native of Pennsylvania, he was born in Jefferson County, January 10, 1835. His parents moved to Lake County, Ohio, about 1843, where his father died. In 1852, his mother moved to Warren, Ill. Joshua A. was educated in Ohio and Illinois, and then engaged in farming until the breaking out of the late war. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Forty-fifth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Was commissioned First Lieutenant, in 1862, and April 29, 1863, Captain of same company. The regiment veteranized in 1864. Captain Van Dervoort served with his regiment until the close of the war. On being mustered out was presented with commission of Major of the regiment. Was attached to the Seventeenth Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee. He returned to Illinois, and then went to Chenango County, N. Y., where he remained about three years. In the fall of 1869 he moved to Nebraska, and settled in Salem, Neb., where he engaged in mercantile business, finally sold out in 1878, since that time has been simply looking after private interests. Mr. Van Dervoort was married in Warren, Ill., February 21, 1869, to Miss Hannah Wear of Warren. They have two children, William S. and John. Mr. Van D. was Justice of the Peace one term. He is commander of Commodore Porter Post, No. 48, G. A. R. Is a member of Salem Lodge, No. 47, A., F. & A. M., and of the Good Templars.
G. T. WEBSTER, attorney at law, and insurance agent, Salem, established business in 1879, represents the Star Insurance Company of New York, Union of Philadelphia and British America of Toronto. Mr. Webster was born in Glamorganshire, South Wales, June 3, 1833. He was educated for the ministry at Pontypool College, and engaged in preaching for a time in Wales. In 1862, he came to the United States and joined the Pennsylvania Conference and was engaged in evangelizing, in Ohio, Iowa and Missouri. In 1864, he moved to Nebraska, locating in Richardson County, and engaged in missionary work for the Christian Church until 1872. He then commenced the study of law in Falls City, was admitted to the bar by Judge Gantt, in 1875, and opened an office in Falls City, where he continued until 1879, then settled in Salem. Mr. W. was married in Tredegar, Monmouthshire, Wales, to Miss Jane Evans of Aberystrwyth. They have had twelve children of which survive, James, Josiah, George, Lizzie, Kittie, William, Daniel W. and Henry Clay. Mr. W. is a member of the Christian Church and of the K. of P.
JOHN A. WAGNER, JR., farmer, Section 27, P. O. Salem, has 160 acres in home farm and also large adjacent lands. Settled on present place in the spring of 1872. In addition to regular grain and stock farming, Mr. W. is engaged in breeding fine cattle. The heads of his herd are full blood Short-horn, and the balance are high grades, few below three quarters. In hogs he runs into "Jersey Reds". Mr. Wagner was born in Ogle County, Ill, July 18, 1844. Was educated in his native county and remained there, engaged in farming until he moved to Nebraska in 1872. He was married in Ogle County, Ill., January 10, 1874, to Miss Jennie Fager of that county. They have one child, Vernie A. Mr. Wagner is agent in this section for the Polo Manufacturing Company's Harvesters and Twine Binders.
J. A. WAGNER, SR., farmer, Section 34, P. O., Salem, settled on present place in the fall of 1881. Has 560 acres in the home farm and 160 acres adjoining. Mr. Wagner's intention is to work into stock-breeding and raising. Mr. W. was born in Hagerstown, Washington Co., Md., June 18, 1818. His parents were old residents of that section. They moved to Illinois in 1837 and settled in Ogle County. J. A. was educated in his native State, and on the way West finished his studies at the Springfield, Ohio, Academy. Was engaged in Illinois in teaching and also in farming; was also for some years engaged in fishing for market. He held the position of Town Treasurer and Collector several terms. Left Ogle County in 1881 and settled in present place. Mr. Wagner was married in Ogle County, Ill., April 13, 1843, to Miss Mary Stover, of Ogle County. They have nine children living: John A. Jr., David, Clay, Daniel, Ernest, Frank, Amanda (now Mrs. A. Fridley), Mary (now Mrs. L. W. Phillips), Mattie. Mr. W. is a member of the German Baptist Church.
A. F. WOOD, carriage and wagon maker, Salem. Business established in 1867 by Mr. Wood. Manufacturers and repairs all kinds of vehicles. Mr. Wood was born in Madison County, N. Y. July 30, 1836. He received his schooling in his native county. In 1850 he began learning his trade in Oneida County, N. Y. In 1857 he moved to Warren, Jo Daviess Co., Ill., where he worked at his trade until the breaking out of the late war. He enlisted in 1862 in Company K, Ninety-sixth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, being mustered out in 1865. Was attached to the Fourth Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland. He returned to Warren, and in 1867 settled in his present location. Mr. W. is Adjutant of Commodore Porter Post, No. 48, G. A. R. Is also a member of Salem Lodge, No. 21, I. O. O. F.