Natural Resources | Early History | Stephen Story | A Severe Winter|
Pioneer Hunters | Lynch Law for Horse-Thieves
The Half-Breed Line | The County Seat Troubles
The Killing of Davis and Meek | County Roster | the Epidemic of 1860
Claim Jumping | The Jayhawkers of '62 | The Underground Railway|
The Grasshopper Scourge | Defunct Towns | War Record
Milling Interests | Railroads
Falls City: First Permanent Residents | City Officials|
Postal Business | The Press | Fire Record | Societies
Falls City (conts.): Banks | Manufacturing Interests|
The Grain Business | Pork Packing | Falls City Hotels
Hinton's Driving Park | Public Schools | The Public School Building
5 ~ 9:
ADAMS ~ FRY | GALLAGHER ~ KREKER | LEE ~ POWELL
RANDALL ~ STRETCH | TARPLEY ~ YUTZY
Humboldt: Early Events | Railway Interests | The Public School|
Churches | The Press | Societies | Hotels | Banks and Bankers
Manufacturing Interests, Etc.
Humboldt: Biographical Sketches|
Rulo: Charles Rouleau | Elie Bedard|
Early Events | The Press | Business Interests | Churches
Societies | Biographical Sketches
Dawson: Early History | The Cyclone | Societies | Churches|
Business Interests | The Old Mill | Biographical Sketches
Salem: Early History | Hotels | The Public Schools|
Churches | Societies | Business Interests | Biographical Sketches
Arago: Biographical Sketches|
Porter Precinct | Ohio Precinct | Franklin Precinct | Liberty Precinct
Speiser Precinct | Barada Precinct | Preston
List of Illustrations in Richardson County Chapter
[RANDALL ~ STRETCH]
DR. H. L. RANDALL, eclectic physician, was born in Summit County, Ohio, March 25, 1839. In 1845, he removed with his parents to Dodge County, Wis., where he received his preliminary education, and learned the printing business. In 1857, he commenced the study of medicine under the practicing physician in Oak Grove, Dodge County. December 27, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Eighteenth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, mustered out in 1863, then returned to Wisconsin and resumed his studies. In 1865, removed to Nebraska and settled in Nemaha County, in August, 1866, located in Tecumseh, Johnson County, where he engaged in practice for a time. Then returned to Nemaha County, and engaged in farming and the practice of medicine until 1873, when he removed to Red Willow County, practiced there until 1877, then removed to St. Deroin, Nemaha County, in February, 1880, he settled in Falls City where he has since remained. He was married in Dodge County, Wis., March 19, 1862, to Miss Alvira O. Baker, of Lowell, Dodge County, Wis. They have two children living--Gertie and George. Dr. R. is a member of the Christian Church, and of Veteran Post, No 84, G. A. R.
W. C. RESTERER, proprietor St. Jo Bakery. Business established in the spring of 1879, by Poirier & Resterer. A few months later changed to Resterer Bros. In May, 1881, Mr. R. bought his brother out. Mr. W. C. Resterer was born in St. Joseph, Mo., January 7, 1854. He was educated in that city and also learned his trade there, and followed it until 1878, when he located in Tecumseh, Neb., where he ran a bakery until he settled in Falls City in 1879. Mr. R. was married in Tecumseh, Neb., May 4, 1879, to Miss Mollie Collins of that city. They have one child--Mamie.
RESTERER & SON, dealers in furniture, carpets, and undertaking goods. Business established in May, 1881. They carry a stock of $3,000. P. Resterer, senior member of the firm, was born in Baden, Germany, June 28, 1821. Learned cabinet making in Germany. In 1848, he came to the United States, located in Pittsburgh, Pa, for a time, then went to St. Louis, Mo., where he remained about five years, then settled in St. Joseph, Mo. Followed his trade in the two former places, and in St. Joseph, established a furniture business, in which he continued until present business was established. He was married in St. Louis, Mo., May 11, 1850, to Miss Mary Lang, a native of Alsace, Germany. They have eight children--Alfred, Charles W., Peter, August, Mary, Clara, Julia, Flora. Mr. R. is a member of I. O. O. F., of St. Joseph.
A. RESTERER, of above firm, was born in St. Louis, Mo., March 12, 1853. He was educated in St. Joseph, Mo., where he also learned his business. In 1879, he settled in Falls City, Neb., and engaged in "St. Jo Bakery," in company with his brother, which continued until the organization of present firm. He was married in St. Louis, Mo., December 29, 1875, to Miss Annie Burke, of St. Joseph, Mo. They have two children--Willie and Grace.
PROF. W. RICH, principal of graded school, was born in Zanesville, Ohio, March 22, 1832. His father settled in Mt. Vernon, Ohio, in 1810, lived for a time in Zanesville, and then returned. The subject of this sketch was brought up in Mt. Vernon, attended the public schools, and after teaching for a time, attended, during the years 1856-57, the Wesleyan University. After spending about one year in Iowa, he became connected with the High School, at Griggsville, Ill., as assistant, a position he held about four years. Was then appointed principal, and four years later resigned, and located in Atchison County, Mo., engaging in farming. In 1869, he removed to Brownsville, Neb., and took charge of the graded school there, continuing until 1876. In 1877, he removed to Falls City, and took present position. He was married in Griggsville, Ill., November 1, 1877, to Miss Prudence E. Smally, a native of Ohio. They have three children--Edson P., now attending State University; Laura M., David K. Prof. R. is a member of the Board of State Examiners.
C. H. RICHARDS, manager Richardson County Lumber Company. Business established in February, 1882. Carry stock of $8,000 to $10,000. C. H. Richards was born in Ripley, Brown Co., Ohio, September 6, 1845. In September, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, Seventh Regiment Ohio Cavalry, and served until mustered out in July, 1865. Was under Gen. Sherman up to the battle of Atlanta. After the battle of Nashville, was under Gen. Wilson. After the war, he entered William Jewell College, at Libertyville, Mo. After leaving college, engaged in lumber business, in the same place. In 1870, he removed to Nebraska, settled in Falls City, and opened a lumber yard, the first in Richardson County. Continued in this business until 1875, then engaged in boot and shoe business until 1876. Since that time in no special business, until he took present position. He was married in Carthage, Mo., in 1869, to Miss Phelena R. Ford, a native of New Jersey. They have six children--Joseph J., Marrill O., Maud A., Raymond, Charles. Mr. R. belongs to the lodge and chapter in the Masonic fraternity, and is a member of Veteran Post, No. 84, G. A. R. Is also a charter member of the K. of P.
[Portrait of Isham Reavis.]
HON. ISHAM REAVIS, of Reavis & Saxon, Attorney-at-Law, was born in Cass County, Ill., January 28, 1836. He entered the Academy at Virginia, Cass County, but on account of the death of his mother, was obliged to leave in 1855, before graduating. In August, 1855, commenced reading law in Beardstown, under the supervision of Abraham Lincoln, our late President, though not in his office, President Lincoln was an old friend of his father's; was admitted to the bar in 1857. In 1858 he removed to Nebraska, settled in Falls City and engaged in the practice of his profession. Was elected District Attorney in 1867, and in 1868, to the State Senate. In April, 1869, Judge Reavis was appointed by President Grant Associate Justice of Supreme Court of Territory of Arizona. In 1873 he resigned his position and returned to Falls City and resumed practice. He was married in Falls City, Nebraska, May 19, 1864, to Miss Anna M. Dorrington, daughter of David Dorrington, Esq. They have four children--David D., C. Frank and Burton. Judge R. is a member of the State Bar Association, and of Falls City Lodge, No. 9, A. F. & A. M.
J. W. RYAN, dealer in clothing, boots and shoes, and gents' furnishing goods. Business established in June, 1881, by McKeever & Ryan. McKeever retired four months later. He carries a stock of about $4,000. Mr. Ryan was born in County Kilkenny, Ireland, July 14, 1849. Came to the United States in 1853, and lived for a time in Connecticut, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, the family then moved to Missouri. The subject of this sketch engaged in farming until he learned butchering business, in St. Joseph, Mo. In 1878, he settled in Falls City, Neb., and engaged in stock dealing and meat market, in which he continued until January, 1881. Then sold out and opened present business. He was married in St. Joseph, Mo., April 29, 1876, to Miss Lizzie E. Dailey, of St. Joseph. Mr. R. is a member of the Catholic Church.
L. S. SAGE, agent B. & M. R. R. in Nebraska, was born in Fairfield, Jefferson County, Iowa, January 1, 1855; educated in his native county. In 1873 moved to Nebraska, located in Wilber as agent of B. & M. R. R., and has since been in their employ at different points, with the exception of two years, which he spent in a bank in Sutton; came to his present position from Omaha in December, 1881. He was married in Lowell, Neb., September, 1879, to Miss Evans, of Lowell. They have one child, Evan Taylor.
JOHN SAXON, of Reavis & Saxon, attorney at law, was born in Salem, Columbiana County, Ohio, September 9, 1839. He was born and raised on a farm, and began reading law while still engaged in farming, and continued his studies in a law office in Salem, then entered the Ohio State and Union Law College. Was admitted to the bar May 2, 1862, and graduated from college July 2, 1862. The same year began recruiting a company of cavalry. The company was mustered into the Sixth Regiment Ohio Cavalry as Company M, to take the place of a company that had been detached. Mr. S. was commissioned Captain, the commission being dated January 9, 1864. He was discharged on account of disability, March 20, 1865, and returned to Ohio. He was commissioned January 11, 1863, Lieutenant-Colonel of the Eighteenth Battalion Infantry, Ohio Volunteer Militia. Shortly after his return home he commenced the practice of law in Salem, Ohio, and continued until about 1868, when he removed to Muscatine County, Iowa. In 1871 moved to Nebraska, located in Jefferson County for a time, then moved to Adams County, and in September, 1881, settled in Falls City and opened an office. In 1882 entered into partnership with Judge Reavis. Mr. S. was married in Fairbury, Jefferson County, Nebraska, July 11, 1874, to Miss Munn, a native of Massachusetts. They have one child, Maggie.
WILLIAM A. SHOCK, dealer in hardware, stoves, and tinware; business established about 1871. He carries a stock of about $3,500. Mr. S. was born in Sandusky County, Ohio, April 16, 1860. He was educated in his native county, and in 1875 removed to Nebraska with his parents and settled in Falls City. Was engaged in clerking about two years, then engaged in stock raising, in which he continued until he bought his present business.
AUGUST SCHOENHEIT, attorney at law, was born in Saxe Coburg, Germany, March 26, 1822. In 1838 he emigrated to the United States and located in Somerset County, Pa., hiring out to a John Lambart; worked two years on a farm, and he then learned the carriage-making trade, and then moved to Seneca County, Ohio, where he worked at his trade until 1850; then crossed the plains to California, where he engaged in mining, etc. In 1853, he returned to Seneca County, Ohio. He read law some previous to this, but he now took up the study with the intention of following the profession, being very much assisted by a friend, John Lamareaux. In 1856 was admitted to the bar in Tiffin, Seneca County, Ohio, and then engaged in practice. In 1860 he moved to Nebraska and settled in Falls City, and opened an office for the practice of law. During the years of the war Mr. S. was engaged in dry goods business in Omaha, Neb., and then returned to Falls City. Was married in Attica, Ohio, February 11, 1847, to Miss Adeline Miller, of Attica. Mrs. S. died in Omaha, leaving three children, Lothair, Nettie, now Mrs. Whitmore, and Augustus. He was married to his present wife in Richardson County, Neb., September 7, 1864. She was Miss Sarah Cook, a native of Tennessee. They have five children, Augustus, Julien M., William, Lillie and Sarah. Mr. S. has been Mayor of the city three terms, County Prosecuting Attorney one term, and was nominated for Attorney General on the Greeley ticket. He is a member of the State Bar Association, of which he has been vice-president.
SCHOENHEIT & FREDERICK, real estate and insurance agents. C. L. Frederick, attorney at law, was born in Van Wert County, Ohio, January 7, 1862. Came to Nebraska with his parents in 1864. They located in Richardson County. He received his preliminary education in this county, and he entered St. Joe College, St. Joseph, Mo. Graduated in 1876. Then commenced reading law in Falls City. He was admitted to the bar in 1879. Mr. F. is a member of the Catholic Church.
JOHN SCHULER, farmer, Section 29, Falls City Precinct. Settled on his present farm in 1861. His home farm contains 120 acres and has 160 acres out lying. Grain and stock are his specialties. He was born in Bavaria, Germany, April 5, 1833. Came to the United States with his parents in 1844. They settled in Mahoning County, Ohio, where John was employed in the iron works until 1857. He then moved to Holt County, Mo., and four years later settled in Nebraska. He was married in Sharon, Pa., in August, 1854, to Miss Hannah Hoppe, of Mahoning County, Ohio. They have seven children living, Charles, John, Emma, Lizzie, Belle, Edward and Joseph. Mr. Schuler is a member of the Catholic Church and of Falls City Lodge No. 13, I. O. O. F. He was a private of Company G, Second Nebraska Cavalry, November 15, 1862, and honorably discharged December 14, 1863.
A. R. SCOTT, attorney at law, was born in Somerset County, Pa., May 18, 1841. In 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Fifty-fourth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served until mustered out in July, 1865. Held the position of Commissary Sergeant at the close of the war. Returned to Pennsylvania and shortly afterward entered Oakdale College, Oakdale, Ohio. He pursued his law studies in Douglas County, Ill., and in 1872 settled in Falls City, Neb. Was admitted to the bar immediately and has since been engaged in practice in Falls City. He was married in Somerset County, Pa., September 7, 1866, to Miss Mary C. Morrison, of that county. They have two children, Eva D. and Owen L. Mr. S. is a member of the Christian Church.
I. A. SMITH, contractor and builder, was born in Boston, Mass., October 11, 1826. Was educated in the city and learned the carpenter's trade. In 1869, he settled in Page County, Ill., then moved to Fremont County, and in 1876 settled in Falls City and established present business. Mr. S. enlisted in 1862 in Company K, Fifteenth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry; was discharged on account of wounds received at Shiloh. Re-enlisted in 1864, in the Eighty-fifth Regiment Company and served until the close of the war. Took part in Sherman's March to the sea. He was married in Delphi, Ind., January 23, 1868, to Miss Baum, of Delphi. They have two children, Charles E. and William V.
HENRY C. SMITH, real estate dealer and loan agent and farmer, buys and sells real estate, pays taxes and invests money for non-residents. Has a large list of city and country property, improved and unimproved, for sale and exchange, in Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri and Iowa. Business established in the spring of 1879. Mr. S. was born in Canton, Ill., March 7, 1856. Received his schooling mostly there and in March, 1869 removed with his father to Richardson County, Neb., where he assisted his father, the latter having established an agricultural implement warehouse, etc., in Falls City, the first in the county. Also run a real estate agency, in connection with which he carried on a farm. His father, C. C. Smith, was also President of the State Immigration Society, and associate editor of an Atchison (Kas.) paper; also wrote for other papers. He died February 6, 1879; well known and highly esteemed by all who knew him. Member of the Congregational Church. The subject of this sketch graduated from Spaulding's Commercial College in Kansas City, Mo., in March, 1877; before being through was offered several positions, the one accepted being in the office of the K. C. & N. M. R. R. Was also for a time engaged in bookkeeping in Kansas City; also traveled and sketched maps for a Chicago firm for a while, but tired of this kind of a life he returned to Falls City and engaged in the real estate and loan business; was also engaged in mercantile business for a time in addition to real estate, but finding the latter required his exclusive attention, he gave up merchandising and opened his present office. Here he may be found always busy and obliging, and we may add by fair and honest dealing he has secured the confidence of the people. Mr. Smith is a member of the Congregational Church.
D. W. SOWLES, dealer in confectionery, cigars, etc., etc. Business established in May, 1880, succeeding J. Horner. The firm was Sowles & Manger until January, 1882. Mr. Sowles was born in Fulton County, N. Y., March 5, 1854. In 1863, his parents settled in St. Deroin, Nemaha Co., Neb., and from there to Highland, Kas. The subject of this sketch engaged in farming until 1879. He then settled in Falls City, Neb., where he engaged in clerking until present business was established. He was married in St. Joseph, Mo., January 8, 1880, to Miss Clara Resterer, of St. Joseph. They have one child, a son, Halack.
BENNETT SPERRY, contractor and builder, business established in 1867, by Mr. S. He employs from three to six men, did much of the work on the County House, put up the Ryan building, etc. Mr. S. was born in Oxford, Conn., November 24, 1828. Learned his trade in New Haven. In 1850 he located in Griggsville, Pike Co., Ill., where he followed his trade until 1865, then moved to Sedalia, Mo., where he engaged in contracting and building until 1867, when he settled in Falls City, Neb. Mr. S. was married in Griggsville in 1852, to Miss Lydia Bright, of that town. They have four children--Berton, Grant, May, and George. He is a charter member of Falls City Lodge No. 13, I. O. O. F. Mr. S. is the patentee of an improvement in trucks for moving houses. His patent is dated August 12, 1879, No. 218.588. In the end of the rollers are placed stout pins forming a circle round a center one against which the handspike bears when being operated, thus giving power by which four men can move an ordinary building without any other power. The operation is as follows: The house being raised by jacks, the caps and rollers are placed in position near the four corners, four rollers being sufficient for an ordinary house, though more may be used if required. Power is then applied by means of levers being placed between the pins in the ends of the rollers; by changing the position of caps and rollers, the direction may be changed, making it easy to turn corners or to turn buildings around.
J. D. SPRAGINS, wagonmaker and blacksmith; business established in 1877; employs four men. Mr. S. was born in Jo Daviess County, Ill., December 21, 1841, learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed until the breaking out of the war. He enlisted in September, 1861, in Company E, Forty-fifth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry; veteranized in 1864. Commissioned First Lieutenant the same year, mustered out July 12, 1865. Returned to Illinois and worked at his trade until 1869, then moved to Nebraska, settled in Falls City, and engaged in contracting and building until 1874, then engaged in livery business until 1877. He was married in White Oak Springs, Wis., June 28, 1868, to Miss L. F. Friend, of Carroll County, Ill. They have one child, George Thomas. Mr. S. is a member of Falls City Lodge, No. 9, A., F & A. M. and Falls City Lodge No 36, I. O. O. F.
M. H. STOWE & CO., contractors and builders, firm organized in 1882, succeeded Stowe & Murray, employs four to six men. Mr. S. was born in Broome County, N. Y., February 27, 1847. Learned the carpenter and cabinet makers' trade and followed it until 1870, when he moved to Hiawatha, Kas. In 1871, he settled in Falls City, and engaged in furniture business for some years, in different partnerships, and finally sold out and established present business. Mr. S. was married in Falls City, Neb., September 3, 1872, to Miss Mary C. Saylor, of Falls City, native of Pennsylvania. They have three children, Lulu B., Harvey W., Olive M. Mr. S. is a member of the Christian Church.
W. S. STRETCH, attorney-at-law. Mr. S. was born in Tippecanoe County, Ind., December 3, 1842. August 16, 1860, he entered the regular army as member of Company F, First Infantry, and remained in the service about seven years. During the war he was about two years superintendent of Gen. Sherman's printing office, at New Orleans. In 1867 he engaged in the drug business in Hiawatha, Kas., for a while, then spent six months as compositor on a newspaper. March, 1869, he settled in Falls City, Nebraska, and purchased a half interest in the Nemaha Valley Journal, soon afterwards assuming entire control of the paper. In 1874 he sold out the newspaper and commenced the practice of law. He was married September 19, 1872, to Miss Zadie, eldest daughter of Anderson Miller, of Falls City. They have three children, Adelia Irene, Helen, and Stella. He is an active member of several societies, and stands prominent as a Mason and Odd Fellow.