Topography | Pre-Historic | Early Settlement|
First Fourth of July | Reminiscences | Jayhawking|
Organization | County Seat Troubles
War History | Official Roster | County Buildings | Railroads | Ferries|
Farmers' Clubs | Grasshoppers | Agricultural Society|
Nemaha County Mills | Bridges | Educational | Religious | Progress|
Statistics of Property | National and State Officials
Brownville: Early History | Pioneer Incidents | Surveys and Additions
Brownville (cont.): Incorporation | Official Roster|
Nemaha Valley Insurance Company
The Brownville Stone and Stone Coal Company
The First Telegraph Line | The First Train of Cars | Storm and Flood
Express Robbery | Educational | Religious | The Press
United States Land Office | River Improvements | Post Office
Masonic And Other Organizations | Library Association and Lyceum
Hotels | Banks | United States Express Company
Walnut Grove Cemetery | Manufactories | Attorneys and Physicians
Carson | London
8 ~ 10:
ARMSTRONG~HARRIS | HAWKS~MAXWELL
Peru: Early History | Societies | Education | The Press|
Railroads and Business Interests | Personal and incidents
Peru (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
Nemaha City: Early Settlement | Organization | Education|
Religious | Societies | The Press | Business Interests
Nemaha City (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
North Auburn: Early History | Religious | Educational | Societies|
Press | Hotels
South Auburn: Religious | Societies | The Press
North Auburn & South Auburn: Biographical Sketches|
Brock: Biographical Sketches|
Aspinwall: Biographical Sketches|
Johnson & Clifton: Biographical Sketches|
St. Deroin - Febing - Bedford: Biographical Sketches
Other Towns: Biographical Sketches|
List of Illustrations in Nemaha County Chapter
A. C. ARMSTRONG, farmer, P. O. North Auburn, was born near Gettysburg, Penn., in 1828. His father, Isaac Armstrong, also a Pennsylvanian, removed to a farm near Galesburg, Ill., where he lived until his death. A. C. Armstrong came from Illinois to Nebraska in 1869, buying one-half his present 320-acre farm, there being no improvements upon it. As a result of thirteen years of care and labor, Mr. Armstrong has a well-improved farm and one of the largest and best farmhouses in the county. It is three stories, 26x36 feet, and cost $1,800. Mrs. Armstrong was Catharine P. McDowell, of Franklin county, Penn. They have had three children; one son, James M. D., born in 1862, in Knox County, Ill., is now living; two children died in Illinois; Mary Jane, born February 24, 1861, died August 21,1861, Isaac Campbell, March 27, 1864, died October 16, 1864. Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong belong to the Calvert Presbyterian Church.
V. M. BOAL, M. D., North Auburn, was born in 1849, in Franklin County, Ind. Removed, when eleven years old, to Bloomfield, Iowa, where he attended the Wesleyan University; began the study of medicine with his father, Dr. G. M. Boal, a native of Columbus, Ohio, and a graduate of the Missouri Medical College. V. M. Boal settled in Nemaha County in 1877, and began practice, graduating from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Keokuk, Iowa, in 1880. He now has an office to Maddy's drug store, Sheridan. He married Rhoda Maddy, who was born in Monroe County, Iowa. The Doctor is a pleasant and progressive young fellow, and belongs to the I. O. O. F.
JOHN BURLEY, deceased, one of the earliest settlers of this county, was born in Ireland; came to America in 1832; located in New York City, and there married Mary Shields. In 1837, he settled in Will County, Ill., where their four children were born. In May, 1855, the family left for the West with two yoke of cattle and a prairie schooner, and in July, 1855, the father filed a claim on the present Burley homestead, Sections 9 and 10, Town 5, Range 15. In 1857, he entered this claim at the Brownville Land Office. The Burleys began here in a 14x16 log cabin roofed with clapboards, and in winter with dirt. Their neighbors at this time were P. Whitlow, Theodore Mosely and William Holroyd. At the death of Mr. Burley, in 1875, he left the widow and four children--George, John, Ann and Thomas. The eldest son and his mother are now on the old homestead. John Burley is now in Phillips County, Kan., and the others are now in Nemaha County, Neb.
ALBERT DILLON, druggist, of the firm of Dillon, Croan & Co., South Auburn, was born in Anderson, Ind., November 11, 1852, was educated in that town, and studied medicine with Dr. J. Dillon, a brother. Ill health causing him to relinquish his intention of entering the medical profession, he came to Nebraska and in March, 1880, opened, in company with J. J. Bender, the first exclusively drug store in Nemaha City. The present firm, comprising himself, J. D. Croan and Mr. Bender, was formed October 1,1881 and carries a complete line of drugs and medicines, paint and oils, books and stationery, jewelry and fancy articles.
WESLEY DUNDAS, merchant and Postmaster, and first settler of Sheridan, now North Auburn, was born in 1835, in Oxford, Canada; lived in Illinois from 1844 until 1857, when he located in Nemaha County, Neb.; improved a farm in Douglas Precinct and in November, 1869, erected the first building on the site of Sheridan, in which he kept, and still keeps, a stock of goods and the post office, he having received the appointment as Postmaster in November of that year. Mr. Dundas was the first Notary Public in Sheridan. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the I. O. G. T. and the Republican party. He married, February 21, 1868, Frances C. Hamilton, of Massachusetts. They have six children, of whom the eldest was born in Linn County, Iowa, and the others in Nemaha County, Neb.
J. F. ELY, farmer, P. O. London, born 1843, in Otsego County, N. Y. He spent his early life on the farm of his father, Warren Ely, also of that county. He enlisted in 1863, in the Twenty-fourth New York Cavalry, and fought under Grant at the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Spottsylvania, etc., receiving a severe wound in front of Petersburg, which confined him eighteen months in the hospital, and now makes him a pensioner. On his discharge, in November. 1865, he spent a year in recuperating in the old York State home, and in 1868 came to Nebraska, where be is now the owner of a large and valuable farm, improved by himself. He married, in Douglas Precinct, Miss Mary Delay, by whom he has four children--Charles, Hattie, Lucy and Alice, all born on the homestead in Douglas. Mr. and Mrs. Ely belong to the Primitive Methodist Church, in London and he is a Republican.
ROBERT EVANS. M. D., North Auburn, was born July, 25, 1847, in Burlington, Iowa; received a common school education in Winterset, Iowa, where he began the study of medicine. The Doctor is a graduate of the Cincinnati Eclectic College, he attending the entire session of 1874-75. His practice extends over a period of twelve years in Iowa, and he is a member of the Iowa State Medical Society. He married Miss Mary Fairholm, a native of Kosciusko County, Ind.
M. J. FENN, attorney at law, North Auburn, was born August 26, 1848, in Utica, N. Y.; enlisted when but seventeen, as a drummer boy, in the Union army, serving with his regiment (which was the first to cross the chain bridge at Washington) until it was disorganized by the wreck of the ocean steamer Baltic. Mr. Fenn was rescued by Pennsylvanians and re-entered the service in the Fifty-third Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, of which regiment he finally became Major. He was wounded three times, once at Cold Harbor, once at Hatch's Run, and again at the mine explosion at Petersburg. After the war, he shipped aboard the R. R. Cuyler, voyaging to San Francisco and the East Indies. On his return, he located at St. Joseph, Mo., and was employed as a book-keeper. Removing to Des Moines, he edited the Iowa Homestead until December, 1869, when he located in Factoryville, Neb.; afterward he ran a farm, which he still owns, in Howard (Brock). In 1875-77, he owned and edited the Peru Herald, which he sold out to accept the office of United States Gauger. Two years later, he located in Sheridan, where he has since practiced law and done a real estate, loan and insurance business; was admitted to the bar in 1874.
G. W. FAIRBROTHER, Jr., of the firm of G. W. Fairbrother & Co., South Auburn, was born in Warsaw, Ind., March 31, 1855; came to Nebraska with his parents when two years old, locating at Nemaha City; removed to Brownville in 1862; learned the trade of compositor in the office of the Tecumseh Chieftain, in 1869; returned to Brownville in 1873, when he entered the office of the Advertiser, in partnership with G. W. Fairbrother, Sr., and B. F. Sanders. In December, 1881, he started the Calvert Courier, as editor. On July 14, of the same year, this paper was consolidated with the Advertiser. He married in 1876, Ada Smith, of Brownville, by whom he has three children--Lena, Bessie and Albert.
G. W. FAIRBROTHER, Sr., editor of the Nebraska Advertiser, South Auburn, was born in 1828, in Henry County, Ind. His first venture in public life was to enter the office of the Recorder of Kosciusko County, Ind., as clerk; was here until 1847, when he enlisted in the Fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving under the famous Gen. "Jim" Lane, until the close of the Mexican war. Returning to Warsaw, Ind., he learned the printing business, and, in company with Gen. Williams, founded the Northern Indianian in 1856. In the spring of 1857, he sold out, and located in Appanoose County, Iowa, where he became a founder of the Appanoose Chieftain, at Centerville. Selling out in the fall of 1867, he located at Nemaha City, Neb., where he founded the Nebraska Herald with T. C. Hacker; closed out the business eighteen months later, and in March, 1862, he enlisted in the Fifth Missouri Cavalry, serving until June, 1863, when the command was mustered out of the service. Locating at Brownville the same year, Mr. Fairbrother entered the District Clerk's office; was elected to the Territorial Assembly in 1864, and was re-elected, in 1866, to the Constitutional Assembly. During 1866, he was elected to the Probate Judgeship, and in 1869 removed, with F. N. Fairbrother, to Tecumseh, Neb., and started the Tecumseh Chieftain. Sold out this paper in 1872, and purchased a half-interest in the Nebraska Advertiser early in 1873. He married, in 1850, Miss Celia A. Hacker, by whom he has had six children--Walter S. (deceased). Mary J. (deceased), George W., Martha (deceased), Dora and Mary C.
RUSH O. FELLOWS, editor of the Auburn Post, was born in 1852 in Flowerfield Mich.; removed to Nebraska in 1858 for three months; went to Wisconsin the same year, remaining until 1864; returned to Michigan, learned his trade at Three Rivers; returned to Nebraska, and entered the office of the Nebraska Herald, at Plattsmouth, in 1873, staying until September, 1880, when he bought out the then Sheridan Post, which is now known as the Auburn Post.
REV. FATHER JAMES B. FITZGERALD, pastor of the St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church, South Auburn, was born in Java, N. Y., and educated in St. Joseph's College, Bardstown, Ky., and in St. Thomas' Seminary, Louisville, Ky., where he graduated and was ordained in July, 1880, coming to Nebraska the same month; he was the Assistant of Father Cusson, of Nebraska City. In June, 1881, he was placed in charge of four missions in Nemaha County, viz.: St. Joseph's, Calvert; St. Bernard's, Glen Rock; St. John's, Brownville, and the Burk Settlement Mission. In the fall of 1881, the Lincoln Land Company donated half a block to the Calvert Church for the erection of a church and parsonage. These buildings are now completed. The parsonage is a two-story building, 24x24, with a wing fourteen feet square. The church is 24x40, with 12x30 feet additional for the altar and sacristy. Both buildings are of wood, and the church is the largest Catholic Church in the county.
MAJ. J. W. FORD, farmer, P. O. Carson, was born March 5, 1840, in Bristol, Eng., and is a son of Francis and Mary Ford, who came to America in his youth. He grew up in Wellington, Ohio, and, at a very early age, developed a remarkable talent for music. From 1854 to 1860, he worked at carriage-painting, taught music, and obtained a fair education. In 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company G, Tenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry; was soon promoted to the leadership of the regimental band. Three months later, he joined the Forty-second Ohio, then commanded by the immortal Garfield, and was the Regimental Band Master for nine months, receiving the pay and emoluments of Second Lieutenant. At that time he was appointed First Lieutenant of Company D, Ninety-fourth Ohio, and served in all the General engagements of the Army of the Cumberland. After the battle of Stone River, he was appointed Captain, and commanded his company in the battle of Chickamauga. He was then made Inspector on the staff of Gen. W. P. Carlin, and, during the Atlanta campaign, was appointed Chief of Staff. In the "great march to the sea," he was Gen. Hobart's Chief of Staff, which position he held to the close of the rebellion. He was appointed Major by brevet, for meritorious services during Gen. Sherman's campaign through the Carolinas, and was mustered out of the service June 15, 1865, when he returned to his Ohio home. From 1865 to 1875, he was chiefly engaged in manufacturing carriage wood-work at Tippecanoe, Ohio. In 1875, he visited Nebraska, and bought 850 acres of land, 300 of which he now owns. A half-section of this land he sold to the Carson Town Site Company. The Major is a stirring, energetic farmer, is prospering and making improvements, and at the same time takes an active interest in musical matters. Among the many pieces of music played by the Forty-second Regiment Band, was one which President Garfield admired very much and called his favorite. This piece was composed by the Major, and when Gen. Garfield was nominated for President, he sent it to him, a receipt of which was acknowledged by an autograph letter, now in the Major's possession. He married in Tippecanoe, Ohio, Miss Jennie Link, by whom he has two sons.
COBUS GOOSMAN, farmer, P. O. North Auburn, Mr. Goosman was born in Germany and married in Menard County, Ill., Mary E. Whittle. They came to Nebraska in 1858, locating on Muddy Creek, in Nemaha County, and remained shore until 1865, when a removal to Atchison County, Mo., was made. In 1869, they settled upon 320 acres of their present 665-acre farm. During the first three years, they lived in a small log building (now a smoke-house); then built the large and well-arranged frame farmhouse, which is now their home. It is 16x40, with wing 16x24. The farm is well provided with wells and springs, and is fenced with hedge. During the past ten years, Mr. Goosman has fed annually from one to three car-loads of cattle.
THOMAS GUILLIATT, farmer, P. O. London, born in 1824 in Lincolnshire, Eng. He grew to man's estate there, and married in Messingham Church Miss Elizabeth Marshall, of the same shire. They came to the United States in 1852, locating in Cincinnati; eighteen months later, they settled in Tippecanoe City, Ohio, and four years thereafter came to Nebraska, where Mr. Guilliatt filed his claim on his present farm. Beginning so poor as to be unable to build even a shanty or buy a team, he assisted Thomas L. Hallen build the first mill on Rock Creek in 1858, some distance above the Glen Rock Mill. In 1862, Mr. G. began life on his own farm, living in what is now his wood and wash house. The march of prosperity has since continued with few interruptions, resulting in a pleasant home and fine farm. Mr. and Mrs. Guilliatt have six children--Thomas R. born in Ohio; Joseph, Sarah E., Jane, Emma and James, and have lost as many more.
CHARLES HESS, of Hess & Co., grocers, North Auburn, born in 1858, in Germany; came to the United States in 1872; located at Dixon, Ill., where he remained until 1879, when he removed to Nebraska City. The present partnership was formed late in December, 1881. Mr. Hess is a Lutheran in religious belief. His trade is that of baker. His partner, Mr. Charles Niehaus, was born in 1857, in Hanover; learned the shoemaker's trade in boyhood; came to America in 1874; learned the trade of brewer in Elkader, Iowa, and worked at it two years in Nebraska City, where he became acquainted with Mr. Hess. He married Emma O. Guenter, who was born in West Prussia, and who came to this country in 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Niehaus are Lutherans.
JOHN HIGGINS, farmer, P. O. North Auburn. Mr. Higgins is a son of Andrew Higgins, one of the earliest settlers of Nebraska, and was born in Glen Rock, Nemaha Co., Neb., August 11, 1857. He has been a life-long resident of this county, engaging in farming and stock dealing. On the large farm where he now resides is a fine deposit of valuable building sand, as well as a bank of fine brick clay, from which Messrs. White & Harris are now manufacturing a superior grade of brick with the Vandalia machine.
W. G. HOLMAN, farmer, P. O. North Auburn. Mr. Holman was born in 1845, in Cornwall. Eng.; received his schooling at Penryn, Cornwall, and has spent his whole life at farming. He came to America in 1866, locating at Warren, Ill., and came from there, in 1870, with his brother James Holman, to Nebraska. He bought his present farm of John L. Carson; its former owners were Joseph Dillon, J. McPherson and John Leach. Mr. Leach erected the buildings and Mr. Holman planted the orchard and grove, comprising five acres. Mr. H. is a Republican; a keen observer of local and national affairs, and an intelligent and successful farmer.
[Portrait of Church Howe.]
HON. CHURCH HOWE, North Auburn, is a remarkable example of the class of men who combine New England forethought and shrewdness with the broad mental grasp and locomotive-like push of typical Western men. Born December 13, 1839, in Princeton, Mass., he received an academic and commercial school education. When the call to arms was made in 1861, Mr. Howe was one of the first to respond. He enlisted with the historic Massachusetts Sixth, and was with his regiment when the assault was made upon it by the Baltimore mob. Soon after, he was commissioned, with Gen. Devens, afterward United States Attorney General, to recruit the Fifteenth Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, the famous Ball's Bluff regiment. Howe went out as Quartermaster, and afterward was commissioned Captain, and early in 1862 assigned to Gen. Sedgwick's Staff as Senior Aid-de-Camp, which position he held until after the battle of Chancellorsville. Exposure and hard service so impaired his health as to cause Maj. Howe's retirement from the field, and he returned to Massachusetts, having taken part in sixteen engagements with Sedgwick, in the Second and Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. In 1869, he went as far West as Wyoming Territory, that being the year of its organization; was there admitted to the bar and figured somewhat in local politics. While making his trip West, he stopped in Nebraska and purchased a splendid 700-acre farm, now known as Walnut Grove Stock Farm, upon which he settled in 1871. Since this time, Mr. Howe has devoted his time and talents to making this one of the finest stock farms and homes in the West. His only son, Herbert B. Howe, being its manager. At this farm. on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, is located Howe's Station and post office. Mr. H. took an active interest in the Grange movement from the outset, and owing to his known fertility of resources, both mental and financial, was made Master of the State Grange, after mismanagement and indebtedness had reduced it to the verge of ruin, and no reflections should be cast upon the abilities of Mr. Howe from the grave of the now defunct Grange. At an early stage, between the struggle of the farmers and the would-be monopolists, Mr. Howe took the position that it was useless to fight the railroads, or their extension; and that it was better to encourage the building of two competitive lines across Nemaha County. To the furtherance of this object, his best efforts were bent, which, while it created the anti-Rosewater muddle, and gave Mr. Howe the title of the Railroad Granger, has resulted in the building of a hundred miles of railroad in, and the addition of half a million dollars to, the valuation of Nemaha county, which county has a debt of only $30,000. In October, 1881, Mr. Howe and Mr. C. D. Nixon. a prominent attorney of Oswego, N. Y. platted an addition of 320 acres to the town of Sheridan; Howe, Nixon, Willson platted eighty acres additional at the same time, and built the large block bearing the name of the firm. To Mr. Howe belongs the credit of proposing, as a solution of the rivalry existing between the towns of Sheridan and Calvert, that both names be dropped, and one town be incorporated under the name of Auburn, this being, in his opinion, the most satisfactory way of settling the county seat question. It may be stated that as a token of the opinion entertained of Mr. Howe by Nemaha County tax-payers, that he has twice represented them in the Senate and twice in the House of Representatives. Of this man it can he said, that he is a "Church Howe" man, and at the same time, while making a dollar for himself, he is making ten for the county and a hundred for the State of his adoption.
EDMUND HUDDART, proprietor of the Holdredge House, South Auburn, was born in Wakefield, Yorkshire, Eng., in 1838, and came with his parents to America in 1845, who settled in Ozaukee County, Wis. A few years later, the family removed to Prairie du Sac, Wis., where he lived until the spring of 1860, when he married Elizabeth Meller, and removed to Nebraska, but did not locate, and returned to his former home the following autumn. He enlisted August 23, 1862, in the famous Twenty-third Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, under Col. J. J. Guppy, served under Gen. Grant at Grand Gulf, Port Gibson, Black River Bridge and the siege of Vicksburg, afterward fighting at Champion Hill and capturing Jackson, Miss. The regiment then went with Gen. Banks on the Red River expedition, and made itself historic by its gallant conduct in repulsing the rebels at Carrion Crow Bayou, the regiment coming out of this fight with a response of only forty-two names to the next roll-call. After the failure of the Banks expedition, the regiment took part in the siege and capture of Mobile, Ala. The regiment was mustered out in July, 1865. on the same ground on which it was mustered, at Madison, Wis., only 200 men surviving the 1,000 that marched so confidently out three years before. In 1870, Mr. H. located at Brownville Neb., where he engaged in the mercantile and milling business for nearly eleven years. In the summer of 1881, he went to Lincoln, and established the sprinkling business there. He came from Lincoln to Calvert early in 1882, opening the Holdredge House February 6.
R. P. HUTCHINS, South Auburn, born May 8, 1834, in Miami County, Ohio. His father, Meredith Hutchins, was born in North Carolina, and his mother, Sophia, was a native of South Carolina. The family came to Nemaha County, Neb., in the spring of 1856. The father died four years later in Lincoln, Neb., while the mother is still living on the Nemaha County farm. R. P. Hutchins returned to Ohio in 1861, and enlisted a year later in the Ninety-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as Captain of Company D; was promoted Major in February, 1863 and afterward raised to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, in which capacity he commanded his regiment at the battles of Mission Ridge, Peach Tree Creek, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, etc., to Atlanta, and on the famous march to the sea, and through the Carolinas. Col. Hutchins was posted at Charleston, S. C., in the recruiting service for a number of months, finally rising, in the spring of 1865, to the rank of Brigadier General by brevet. He resided in his native county from 1865 to 1878, and in August, 1881, located at Calvert, where he is now doing business. He married in Beloit, Wis., in 1855, Miss Harriet E., daughter of William Cochrane, Mr. Cochrane having settled at Beloit while Mr. Hutchins and his future wife were students at Oberlin College. The marriage has been crowned by the birth of four children, who are now enjoying the educational facilities of their own and their parents' native county, grand old Miami, which has sent so many stalwart men to the Western frontier.
EDWARD JUEL, North Auburn, was born January 3, 1851, in Christiania, Norway; lived in Hamburg, Germany from the time he was three years old until he went to Rostock, Germany, to learn the mercantile business. Emigrated to the New World in 1870; spent three years in Colima, Mexico, as a book-keeper; removed to St. Louis, and, after a year, to Sheridan, now North Auburn, where he engaged in mercantile business, which he expects to resume during 1882. He spent 1881 in Germany. He is a Lutheran in religion and a Republican in politics, and a member of the K. of H.
D. E. C. LONG, blacksmith, South Auburn, was born June 22 1855, near Frederick City, Md.; learned the trade of coachsmith in Williamsport City, Penn., where he was for six months foreman in the Empire Carriage Works. He came to Nebraska in 1878, and engaged in farming near Sheridan, where he now owns eighty acres of choice land, well located for an orchard, nursery or vineyard. Mr. Long built the shop he now owns and occupies, in the spring of 1879. He married Miss M. A. Presson, daughter of the Rev. H. Presson, a leading M. E. preacher of Nebraska.
S. H. MADDY, druggist in the Howe & Wilson Block, North Auburn, has the only drug store in town and keeps a fine stock of goods.
EX-JUDGE A. W. MORGAN, the founder of Sheridan, now North Auburn, Neb., was born December 21, 1815, in Somerset, Pulaski Co., Ky. In 1819, his father, Lewis Morgan, removed to Shelby County, Ind., his being the second family to locate in that county. A. W. Morgan removed from that county to Logan County, Ill., in 1844. In 1849, he went to California, where he laid out the town of Hamilton, Butte County. After serving term as Judge of that county, He removed to San Francisco where he engaged in hotel-keeping. In 1852, A W. Morgan published a City Directory of San Francisco. Returning, in 1854, to Illinois, he laid out the town of San Jose, and an addition to Atlanta. In 1856-57, he represented Logan County in the Legislature. At the opening of the war, he was appointed Drafting Commissioner, by Gov. Yates, for Logan County, Ill; located in Brownville, Neb; in 1864, Morgan & Hewett engaged in the manufacture of cultivators. In 1865, he selected for himself 160 acres of the present site of Sheridan, then predicting that it would eventually become the site of a town that would become the county seat of Nemaha County. This land he bid off in 1868, the same year platting forty acres in village lots. The following year Wesley Dundas built the first store, since which time the steady growth of Sheridan and consequent sale of lots has placed a competence at the command of this veteran locator of towns. In 1867, he was honored with the election to the Probate Judgeship, which position n he held for four years. Of the stirring men so typical of Western push and civilization, few have more innate shrewdness than has Judge Morgan.
ADOLPH OPPERMAN, M. D., North Auburn, born June 21, 1842, in Hamburg, Germany. At the age of eighteen, he entered the medical school in the University of Heidelberg; graduated at twenty-two; came to America in 1865; practiced three years in Cincinnati; then settled in Nemaha County. He built the second house in Sheridan (now North Auburn), in 1871; and has practiced continually since, making chronic diseases of the ear and eye a specialty. Received a diploma from the St. Joseph (Mo.) Medical College in 1881. The Doctor is an Odd Fellow, a Republican and a member of the Lutheran Church. Married Melissa Kerns, of Williams County, Ohio, by whom he has two children--Mary A. and Emily B.
W. T. REED. merchant, North Auburn, was born in 1844, in Sidney, Shelby Co., Ohio, and married in Shelbina, Mo., Sarah A. Haskett, of North Carolina. Mr. Reed located in Sheridan in 1874, and rented a farm during the first year. In 1875, he opened a stock of goods in the cash store, where he did a thriving business. During 1881, he completed an elegant two-story room, 27x66, which forms the west half of the Howe, Nixon & Willson Block. In this store he has one of the largest and most complete stocks of all kinds of everything to be found in Nemaha County. By a former wife, Mary Ringer, whom he married in Missouri April 28, 1867, and who died in 1871, he has two children--Lulu S. and Franklin T. By the present wife he has two children--Osceola and Roy T.
HENRY RICHARDS, P. O. London. Mr. Richards was born in 1846, in Cornwall, Eng.; was a farmer there, and married Ann Thomas, whom he brought to America in 1871, locating at Brownville. In 1877, he settled on his present farm of 160 acres, has built, cultivated and planted here since, the result being a valuable farm and a good home. Mr. and Mrs. Richards have two children--Annie and Harry, both born in Cornwall, Eng.
GEORGE RIECHERS, merchant of South Auburn, is a son of C. F. Riechers, one of the first settlers of Richardson County, Neb., and was born at Covington, Ky., November 4, 1849. His parents located in Nebraska in 1853, making, near Humboldt, a claim, which is still in the family. George Riechers, after graduating from the Warrenton (Mo.) Central Wesleyan College, taught school two years, then clerked for a mercantile firm in Humboldt for a time; began business for himself in Humboldt, Neb., in the year 1876, from where he removed to Auburn and began business there January 15, 1882. He married in Warrenton Mo., August 3, 1875, Paulina Strecker, by whom he has three children--Lydia, Laura, and Beatta. Mr. R. is a Republican in politics, and, with his wife, is a Methodist in religion.
D. RIORDAN, farmer, P. O. North Auburn, was born in Ireland, and came, in 1850, to America; spent a year in New York, and then resided in Ohio until his removal to Nebraska in 1857. Locating at Brownville, he worked three years for J. McPherson, and, in 1860, began farming. Mr. Riordan has an excellent farm which he claimed in 1858; has built a new and commodious farmhouse, planted numerous trees and made other substantial improvements. He married Miss Ann, daughter of John Burley; a pioneer of 1855 in Nemaha County; they have eight children--Ella, John, Aaron, Mary, Martin, Annie, Emma and May. The family belong to the Catholic Church.
THOMAS D. SHURTS, of the firm of Nickell & Shurts, druggists, South Auburn, was born in 1852 in Franklin County, Penn. He is the son of John and Catherine Hoagland Shurts, who came to Brownville, Neb., in 1869. T. D. Shurts learned his business with Mr. A. W. Nickell. He was formerly in business in Falls City, Neb., and came back to Nemaha County, in November, 1881. Mr. S. is a live and popular young business man.
I. W. SKILLMAN, proprietor of the Central Hotel, was born October 24, 1832, in Paris, Ky. His early life was spent in his native county (Bourbon). He enlisted in August, 1861, in the Eighth Missouri Cavalry (Confederate) and served throughout the war with the rebel army under Gens. Bragg and Price, participating in the "disputes" at Shiloh, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Ball's Bluff, Lookout Mountain, Meridian, etc. He was captured by the Federals at Fort Fisher, Fla., held a month and paroled. Mr. Skillman located in Iowa in 1873; remained there and in Missouri until 1879, when he located in Humboldt, Neb., engaging in the grocery business. Opened the Central House, so named by him February 6, 1882. Mr. Skillman married Cynthia Hays, in Decatur, Ill. They have seven children, of whom three were born Illinois, two in Kentucky, one in Missouri and one in Iowa.
O. J. STOWELL, attorney and counselor at law, North Auburn, is a native of Otsego County, N. Y. When he was eight years of age his people settled in Illinois, where he grew to manhood. Read law with one of the foremost legal firms of Chicago, and graduated from the Law Department of the Northern Illinois College, receiving his certificate of admission to the bar from the Supreme Court of Illinois. Was for five years in the United States Internal Revenue service in Chicago. Came to Sheridan in December, 1880, where he commands a lucrative legal practice, besides doing a large business in real estate, insurance and collecting. During the war of the rebellion Mr. Stowell served as a volunteer from Illinois for nearly five years.
EDWARD D. WERT, of South Auburn, was born in Osceola, Crawford Co. Ohio, April 22, 1849. He came to Nebraska in 1870, locating in Tecumseh, engaged in freighting and farming till February, 1872, when he married Miss Angela McKee, daughter of Judge McKee, of Tecumseh; farming till May 1, 1878, at which time he moved to Fairbury, Neb., engaging in the furniture and undertaking business in the firm name of E. D. Wert Co., having good success in the trade till January, 1879, when, taking the small-pox, he was compelled to quit the business. He then moved to Sheridan (now North Auburn), engaging, first, in the furniture business, then, with his brother, as keeper of the Central House (now the M. P. House) and in the livery business until September, 1881, when, in company with William W. Shanks, he opened the Commercial Livery Stables opposite the Holdrege House, having a large stable and good trade.
H. J. F. WERT, South Auburn, was born in Bucyrus, Ohio, May 16, 1844. His father, John Wert, was a pioneer of Crawford County, Ohio, where he built the first saw mill and organized the first Sunday school. H. J. F. Wert enlisted, August 12, 1862, in the One Hundred and First Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battles of Perryville, Bowling Green and Stone River, only twenty-three of his company coming out of the latter fight alive. Transferred to the First Mississippi Marine Brigade, he served twenty-one months, and took part in fifty-two engagements. His service was on the gunboat Diana and the rams Switzerland and Lancaster. He ran the batteries at Vicksburg twice, and was wounded four times. During the last few months he was scouting along the banks of the Mississippi, and was twice engaged with Quantrell's rebel guerillas. Was honorably discharged in August, 1865, and resided in Michigan and Indiana until 1879, when he located in Sheridan. He was among the very flrst to locate in Calvert, where he is known as a contractor and builder. His wife was Anna Wood, of Syracuse, N. Y., whom he married at Grand Rapids, Mich., Dec. 4, 1872.
[Portrait of Herbert Willson.]
HERBERT WILLSON, dealer in agricultural implements, hardware, stoves and tinware, North Auburn, was born September 22, 1849, in Jackson County, Iowa; settled, in 1869, on a tract of land which is a part of the present town site of Auburn, and platted in 1881 as Howe, Nixon & Willson's Addition to the town of Sheridan. Herbert Willson is the Junior partner of the firm of Howe, Nixon & Willson. Mr. Willson is also the owner of a large hardware establishment, occupying the whole east half of Gilmore's Block.
DAVID J. WOOD, Cashier of the Nemaha County Bank at South Auburn, is the son of the Rev. A. T. Wood, who was born October 25, 1816, in Allen, Allegany N. Y. This veteran expositor of the Presbyterian faith, after preaching in six different States, located at Tecumseh, Neb., in 1869; preached at Falls City from 1871 until 1873, and is now a resident of Helena. His wife, formerly Caroline S. Judson, a native of Plattsburg, N. Y., died April 15, 1873, at Falls City, Neb., leaving five children--David J., Henry M., Harriet J., Mary C. and Charles E. The eldest of these, David J., was born June 15, 1854, in Williams County, Ohio; in 1860, settled in Winslow, Ill. In 1865, removed to Kendall County, Ill.; in 1867, to Rochester, Mahaska Co., Iowa; in 1874, he was in Beloit, Kan.; in 1875, he attended Tabor College, Iowa; in 1876, was Principal of the Humboldt (Neb.) Graded School; in 1877, was principal of the Hastings School; from 1878 to 1881 was book-keeper in the Humboldt Bank at Humboldt, and was made Cashier of the Nemaha County Bank September 15, 1881. Is a stanch Republican, and was Secretary of the Humboldt Garfield Club in 1880. He is a Deacon in the Helena Presbyterian Church, of which his wife is also a member. He has been a member of I. O. G. T. since 1871, and was S. D. G. W. C. T. of Kansas, in 1874. Has been a charter member of eight different lodges, his last efforts being to found the Calvert Lodge. Mr.. Wood married Olive L. Jewett April 18, 1876. She was born June 3, 1855 in Geneseo, Ill. Their daughter, Jessie A., was born in Hastings, and their son, Charles A., in Humboldt, Neb.
JAMES F. WYKES, station and express agent and telegraph operator, South Auburn, came to' Nebraska in 1881, from Dunkirk, Penn.; has been in railroad business continuously since 1868; was born in 1850, in Lima, Allen Co., Ohio.