Topography | Pre-Historic | Early Settlement|
First Fourth of July | Reminiscences | Jayhawking|
Organization | County Seat Troubles
War History | Official Roster | County Buildings | Railroads | Ferries|
Farmers' Clubs | Grasshoppers | Agricultural Society|
Nemaha County Mills | Bridges | Educational | Religious | Progress|
Statistics of Property | National and State Officials
Brownville: Early History | Pioneer Incidents | Surveys and Additions
Brownville (cont.): Incorporation | Official Roster|
Nemaha Valley Insurance Company
The Brownville Stone and Stone Coal Company
The First Telegraph Line | The First Train of Cars | Storm and Flood
Express Robbery | Educational | Religious | The Press
United States Land Office | River Improvements | Post Office
Masonic And Other Organizations | Library Association and Lyceum
Hotels | Banks | United States Express Company
Walnut Grove Cemetery | Manufactories | Attorneys and Physicians
Carson | London
8 ~ 10:
ARMSTRONG~HARRIS | HAWKS~MAXWELL
Peru: Early History | Societies | Education | The Press|
Railroads and Business Interests | Personal and incidents
Peru (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
Nemaha City: Early Settlement | Organization | Education|
Religious | Societies | The Press | Business Interests
Nemaha City (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
North Auburn: Early History | Religious | Educational | Societies|
Press | Hotels
South Auburn: Religious | Societies | The Press
North Auburn & South Auburn: Biographical Sketches|
Brock: Biographical Sketches|
Aspinwall: Biographical Sketches|
Johnson & Clifton: Biographical Sketches|
St. Deroin - Febing - Bedford: Biographical Sketches
Other Towns: Biographical Sketches|
List of Illustrations in Nemaha County Chapter
In addition to the towns and post offices referred to, there are on record a number of paper cities, laid out in early days but never settled; notable among them, for the interest which they incited at the time, are the following:
Glen Rock, surveyed September 7, 1857, Allen L. Coate, surveyor; Richard Brown, C. W. Wheeler, Alexander Hallam, John L. Dozier and D. L. McGary, proprietors. Located on the southwest quarter of Section 29, and northwest quarter of Section 32, Town 6, Range 14.
St. Frederick was surveyed May 11, 1858, A. F. Harvey, surveyor; Herman Utecht, C. F. Kuechmer, S. E. Vickroy, C. A. Freyberg, M. W. Rider, C. G. Dorsey and A. F. Harvey, proprietors. Located on east half Section 24, Town 5, Range 12.
Hillsdale was surveyed June 25, 1866, J. M. Hacker, surveyor; John McFarlin, Delilah McFarlin, D. H. Ham-Hamlin and John S. Hamlin, proprietors. Located on Lot 7, Section 22, Town 4, Range 16. Its main title to consideration now is that it has a post office.
San Francisco was laid out at an early day, on the Missouri River, between Nemaha City and Aspinwall, by Capt. Holland and others, of St. Louis. Improvements were made, but abandoned. W. E. O'Pelt, A. J. Ritter and Alfred O'Pelt settled there in 1854.
St. George was located in 1857, near. the present thriving town of Sheridan. It is now used as farming land. Of the towns recorded above, St. Frederick, San Francisco and Glen Rook were long since abandoned as town sites. Considerable improvement was at one time made in them.
L T. CLARK, P. O. Peru, was born in Loudoun County, Va., in 1829; removed when a boy to Belmont County, Ohio, where he attended and afterward taught school. He spent two and one-half years in Grundy County, Ill., and, in 1867, came to Nebraska, locating three years after on his present farm. Here he has planted about eight acres of orchard and grove, erected a 16x26x14x18 farmhouse, and made afterward other substantial improvements. He married M. A. Campbell, who, with himself, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They have seven children--John F., Mary L. (Mrs. J. Irvine), Sarah E. (Mrs. William Robbins), Nancy E., Lydia V., Margaret A. and William T.
S. J. FISHER, farmer, P. O. Glen Rock; born 1825, in St. Charles County, Mo. His early life was passed on a farm, in a store, in Pinckney Mo., owned and managed by an uncle, "and a Boston man at that," as S. J. now says. From 1850 to 1853, he was in California; returned to Andrew County, Mo., and, becoming disgusted with the lawless element then regnant there, removed to Illinois; thence to Nebraska, in 1866. A log house and forty acres broken constituted all the improvements on his farm of 360 acres, now well provided with buildings and other improvements. The Missouri Pacific Railroad crossed his farm, and near its south line is established Glen Rock Station. A noticeable feature of this picturesque "valley farm" is the lake covering about fifteen acres with clear, cold spring water to a depth of three feet. In an ice house. 30x40, on its banks, are now packed 100 tons of ice awaiting shipment South; 100,000 tons might be cut here to advantage, as the proximity of the railway station renders the shipment an easy matter. It is probable that Glen Rock Post Office will be located at the station ere long, and a store is talked of. Mr. Fisher's farm is the scene of much activity the year round, as he is a feeder and dealer in stock on a large scale. In 1873, he paid $14,000 for cattle and hogs, feeding 50,000 bushels of corn. He has an active, intelligent family, and is a live and progressive man and citizen.
S. J. GOOD, farmer, P. O. Glen Rock. Mr. Good is one of the pioneers of this county, in which he made his first location on his present farm in September, 1856. A wife and nine children were brought in a covered wagon from Wisconsin, eleven weeks being spent on the road, in which time only one rainy night was passed under a roof. In the 16x16 log cabin, with its huge old-fashioned fire-place, and stick and clay chimney built that fall, were held the first Methodist Episcopal "quarterly meeting" services in Nemaha County, Rev. Messrs. Copeland, Taylor and Good officiating in it; also was kept under Mr. Good's official authority the first post office at Glen Rock. Another and more roomy house has superseded it, but pleasant old-time memories evidently linger in the breasts of the old couple, of times when deer ran about their doors and peace and plenty reigned, even though rudely disbursed. Mr. Good was born in 1816, in Sullivan County, East Tenn.; removed seven years later to Indiana, and thence to Richland County, Wis. There are now eight children--Jacob, Catherine A., William A., Oliver H. P., Eunice, Sara, Joseph D. W., and Harriet A.
ANDREW HIGGINS, farmer, P. O. Glen Rock, born in 1827 in Grayson County, Va. He is a son of Vincent and Jane Wilson Higgins, on whose farm his early life was passed. He married, in Ash County N. C., Miss Mary Bryan, and, in September, 1854, reached Nebraska with her and their eldest child in a covered wagon. During the winter, Mr. H. worked in the saw-mill of S. F. Nuckolls, living in a shanty made by inclining rough boards against the walls of the old United States Fort. In the fall of 1855, he left Nebraska City and went to Atchison County, Mo., but returned to Nebraska in March, 1857, and laid claim to his present homestead, putting up a rude pole and board shanty, near where his barn now stands. A log house succeeded this only to be replaced by the roomy farmhouse, the fourth home built in the State by this veteran resident of it. As a result and reward for twenty-seven years of faithful labor, Mr. H. has now the home farm of 710 acres in one body, besides half a section in Douglas Precinct. His home farm is hedged completely around, provided with all needed buildings, groves orchards, etc., etc., and may fitly represent the success to be attained by early and progressive settlers anywhere. Mr. H. began with just money enough to pay for his first claim, located with a $154 land warrant. He has reared a family of four children--Floyd (born in Virginia), John, Lafayette and Nettie (born on the Nebraska homestead). Mr. Higgins is a Democrat, and a member of the Christian Church.
JOSEPH HUDDART, miller, was born in 1829, in Yorkshire, England; came to the United States with his father, Edmund Huddart, in 1843, locating first and for several years in Milwaukee, Wis. The family then settled in Clifton, Dane County, Wis., Joseph Huddart running a stage between Madison, Wis., and Prairie Du Sac for a time. He came to Brownville, Neb., in 1864, and resided there until he took an interest in the Glen Rock Mills, owned by J. L. Carson, the mill was built by T. L. Hallem, in 1878, and sold to Mr. Carson in 1880. It has a capacity of sixty barrels per day; three run of buhrs. Mr. H. married, in Wisconsin, Nancy J. Tinker, who died in Marengo, Iowa, while on the way to Nebraska in 1864, leaving three children--Frank T., Carrie and Stella. He married again in Brownville, Neb., Mrs. Melinda Horn Pedigo, by whom he has three children--Edgar, Nellie and William, all born in Nemaha County, Neb. Mr. H. is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Brownville, and a man universally respected for manly and genial qualities.
W. A. IRVIN, miller, P. O. Glen Rock, was born in 1864, in Huntingdon County, Penn., and is a son of James C. Irvin, who has worked for thirty years for the Pennsylvania Iron Company. W. A. Irvin learned milling at the Juniata Mills, Petersburg, Penn., and has followed the business since he was nineteen, removing, in 1878, to Pepin County, Wis. He came thence to his present position in 1881. He is a member of the Sheridan Lodge, I. O. O. F.
WYMAN KENT, deceased. Mr. Kent was a native of Ohio, and was a life-long farmer. He married Miss Catherine Karn, a native of Holmes County, Ohio, who was reared in Hancock County, Ohio, and at his death December 28, 1879, left her seven children--Lenora (Mrs. M. Wilds), Emmett E., Florence, Elberta, Leslie W. and Arlington O. A daughter Amy died, aged four, in November, 1880; and a son Clarence aged four and a half years, it 1876. Mrs. Kent was left is possession of a farm of 560 acres and an elegant home, hers being one of the largest farmhouses in the county. To win this farm and home the husband and father came to the State in 1856, making a claim on a part of it, from which he was driven by threatening Indians. Later, he came upon it and for a time kept "bachelor's hall" in a 12x12 cabin, with its single chair and primitive cooking utensils.
JOSEPH W. LASH, farmer, P. O. Glen Rock, is a son of Joseph Lash, who was born in 1812 in Westmoreland County, Penn., and Susan Greenawalt, of the same county, in which she married Mr. Lash. They removed to Ohio in 1837, and just twenty years later brought their family to Peru, Neb. Joseph Lash was a member of the Legislature of Nebraska in 1864. Died January 26, 1872, in Union City, Mo., and was followed by his wife September 27, 1875. Eight children survive them--Emmor, Mary A., Hester E., M. Elizabeth, Barbara E., Joseph W., George W. and Susan C. The Lash homestead in Peru Precinct is still in the family. Joseph W. Lash came to Nebraska with his parents, where he has since lived, with the exception of one year spent in the public schools of Oregon, Mo., and a term in the Normal School at Peru. He farmed six years in La Fayette Precinct, and located on his present 480-acre farm in 1876. On this he has made the major part of the improvements--building, hedging, tree-planting, etc. He married Miss Elizabeth L., in 1868, daughter of Judge Philip Starr, deceased, by whom he has two children--Bertha R. and Alva G.
JOHN J. LEACH, farmer, P. O. North Auburn, was born in 1833, in Wayne Co., N. Y. He spent his boyhood on the farm of his parents, Levi and Mary Sabin Leach, in Du Page County, Ill. In 1853, he removed to Iowa with his wife and mother, his father having died in Illinois. His father's name was Levi Leach, and his mother's maiden name was Mary Sabin. In 1859, he removed to Nebraska and filed a claim on the present farm of W. G. Holman, in Douglas Precinct. The year 1867 was spent in Southwestern Missouri, and the next year in Brownville. He then bought his present farm, on which he has made all the improvements, building, fencing and tree-planting. He married, in Du Page County, Ill., Miss Margaret Knox, and with her is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They have six children--Fred K., Mary M., Eunice L., Emily A., Hattie A. and Susie A. Mr. Leach is a Republican in politics, and a man who has rendered his State a service by rearing, within its borders, an active, useful and intelligent family.
JAMES E. NEAL, farmer P. O. Glen Rock. He was born October 25, 1831, in Champaign County, Ohio, where his boyhood was passed on the paternal farm. When twenty-four years of age, he went to Iowa living for several years in Van Buren and Wapello Counties prior to his coming to Nebraska in 1863, with his family and parents, both of whom died in Peru Precinct. From 1864 to 1870 Mr. Neal resided on a farm in the northeast part of Glen Rock, and in 1870 he located on his present 320-acre farm. On this he has made all the improvements, erecting a tasteful farmhouse, and planting trees, hedges, etc. In 1857, he married, in his native county, Miss Mary A. Nincehelser, who was born August 27, 1836, in Lancaster County, Penn., by whom be has seven children--Horace E. and Winfield S.; born in Van Buren County, Iowa; Benjamin F., born in Peru Precinct; Charles F., John J., Albert J. and Ada M., all born in Glen Rock Precinct. Mr. and Mrs. Neal belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church of Highland. Politically, he is a Republican.
A. NINCEHELSER, farmer, P. O. Glen Rock, was born in 1833 in Berks County, Penn. He accompanied his father, Jacob Nincehelser, to Ohio in 1846, and attained man's stature on the paternal farm, going, in 1859, to Pike's Peak. He returned, in 1859, and located in Van Buren County, Iowa. Enlisted, in 1862, in the Nineteenth Volunteer Infantry. He participated in the Army of the Gulf in the battle of Prairie Grove, the siege of Vicksburg and the battle of Sterling's Farm, where he was wounded and captured, though he soon escaped again to the Union lines, and later took part in the siege and capture of Mobile and its forts. At the close of the rebellion, he came to Nebraska and located in Glen Rock Precinct, settling, in 1868, on his present farm of 160 acres, and his, as yet, undivided purchase of part of the Kent estate. Mr. N. married, in Glen Rook, Miss Ida Bergier, by whom be has five children--Cora, Jennie, Orson G., Della and John J., all born in Glen Rock.
C. E. PHIPPENNEY, farmer, P. O. Peru, born in 1820 in Pompey, N. Y. He has been a lifelong farmer. In 1841, he became a pioneer settler of Michigan, and just twenty years later he located in Nebraska, buying the farm on which he now lives, when it was in a state of nature. The rude cottonwood shanty that sheltered during the toilsome days of "war times" was supplanted, in 1871. By a commodious and tasteful brick farmhouse, environing which he has groves and orchard and suitable farm buildings, all done by himself and sons in the past twenty years. His wife was Mary Phillips, of St. Lawrence County, N. Y. They are members of the Baptist church of Highland, and have four children--Henrietta (Mrs. A. K. Farnham), Lydia (Mrs. W. W. Bush), Orville (who married Jennie McKnight), and Rosalind (now Mrs. J. Good). A. P. Phippenney, a son of C. E. Phippenney, removed to Pueblo, Colo., and while serving as an officer of the law was fatally shot by a rough, whom he was trying to apprehend. He left five motherless children, four of whom are now with the grandparents.