Topography | Pre-Historic | Early Settlement|
First Fourth of July | Reminiscences | Jayhawking|
Organization | County Seat Troubles
War History | Official Roster | County Buildings | Railroads | Ferries|
Farmers' Clubs | Grasshoppers | Agricultural Society|
Nemaha County Mills | Bridges | Educational | Religious | Progress|
Statistics of Property | National and State Officials
Brownville: Early History | Pioneer Incidents | Surveys and Additions
Brownville (cont.): Incorporation | Official Roster|
Nemaha Valley Insurance Company
The Brownville Stone and Stone Coal Company
The First Telegraph Line | The First Train of Cars | Storm and Flood
Express Robbery | Educational | Religious | The Press
United States Land Office | River Improvements | Post Office
Masonic And Other Organizations | Library Association and Lyceum
Hotels | Banks | United States Express Company
Walnut Grove Cemetery | Manufactories | Attorneys and Physicians
Carson | London
8 ~ 10:
ARMSTRONG~HARRIS | HAWKS~MAXWELL
Peru: Early History | Societies | Education | The Press|
Railroads and Business Interests | Personal and incidents
Peru (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
Nemaha City: Early Settlement | Organization | Education|
Religious | Societies | The Press | Business Interests
Nemaha City (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
North Auburn: Early History | Religious | Educational | Societies|
Press | Hotels
South Auburn: Religious | Societies | The Press
North Auburn & South Auburn: Biographical Sketches|
Brock: Biographical Sketches|
Aspinwall: Biographical Sketches|
Johnson & Clifton: Biographical Sketches|
St. Deroin - Febing - Bedford: Biographical Sketches
Other Towns: Biographical Sketches|
List of Illustrations in Nemaha County Chapter
(ARMSTRONG thru HARRIS)
GEORGE ARMSTRONG, farmer, P. O. Brownville. Mr. Armstrong was born in 1841, in Somersetshire, England; came to America in April, 1870; engaged in the grain and stock business at Brownville, Neb., in partnership with J. C. Bousfield, the present County Treasurer, until the fall of 1881. Mr. Armstrong then bought the H. & F. E. Johnson homestead, one of the best quarter-sections in the State of Nebraska. This farm is especially fitted for stock growing, provided as it is with ample buildings, stock yards, scales, windmill. pumps, etc., and Mr. Armstrong, with his life-long experience, is bound to develop it to the utmost. He married in his and her native shire, Eliza Gillard; they have eight children--Esther, Sarah, Martha, William, John, Belle, George and Samuel, the eldest born in England and the others in Nebraska.
AMOS BACON, farmer, P. O. London, was born, in 1829, in Trumbull County, Ohio, removed to Wisconsin in 1844, came from there to Nebraska, in 1856, then locating on his present farm. Mr. Bacon is one of the earliest settlers in London Precinct, his claim having been entered at the Omaha Land Office February 20, 1857, Mr. Bacon has replaced the primitive log cabin of earlier days by a substantial brick farmhouse. Although his prosperity has been shadowed by much sickness in his family and other unfortunate occurrences, he has made a good record as a father and a citizen, having cared for and educated a large family. He is a member with his wife of the Christian Church, and is, in politics, a Republican.
J. H. BAUER, harness-maker, Brownville, was born in Germany and came to the United States with his parents when but three years of age; came from Buchanan County Mo., to Brownville in 1867, commencing business near his present location. Mr. Bauer is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the K. of P. He learned his trade in Chicago, and is now the oldest harness-maker in Brownville, where he has made many friends by an upright life and business methods.
JOHN BATH, farmer, P. O. Brownville, has been a life-long farmer, he was born in Cornwall, England, on a stock farm; came to America in 1867, and spent six years in Jo Daviess County, Ill. His father having died, his mother joined him in 1869; in 1875, he settled on his present 360-acre stock farm, which is a model of its kind for the farmers of Nebraska, or any other State. It was first improved by J. L. Carson, of Brownville, who built the stately brick mansion with the view making it his home. The fine orchard and garden of ten acres was planted by Mr. Carson and Mr. Bath, as was the ornamental shrubbery, etc. Mr. Bath feeds annually from 100 to 150 head of cattle and large droves of hogs. His basement barn, a model of its kind, is 52x36 feet, with an L 16x26 feet. The farm is well supplied with running water, windmill, pumps, etc. Mr. Bath is, to a certain extent, a breeder of Short-Horns, now owning fourteen thoroughbreds.
THOMAS A. BATH, farmer and stock-grower, Section 23, Brownville Precinct, P. O. Brownville, was born, in 1848, in Cornwall, England came to America in 1869; was three years in the stock business in Illinois, then located in Nebraska, buying 120 acres of his present 240-acre farm of W. Bennett. Mr. Bath has one of the finest fruit and stock farms in the State, as it is fenced with about two and a half miles of Osage hedge, planted by himself, as was the fine orchard of apple and peach trees and the ten-acre grove of forest trees. Mr. Bath is a very successful grower of Berkshire hogs and Merino sheep crossed with the Cotswold, his Cotswolds coming from Beecher's famous stock farm in Illinois. His main business for the past twelve years has been fattening cattle, although he has done something in the way of breeding Short-Horns, with a view of some day owning a fine herd of this favorite stock of his native land. On Mr. Bath's farm are three very fine springs, thus making it particularly adapted to stock-growing. He married Miss Harriet, a daughter of David Jones. She was born in Buchanan County, Mo., they have one son--John, born January 15, 1879.
JOHN W. BENNETT was born in what was then Hardin ,but now La Rue County, Ky., April 12, 1830. His parents moved to Holt County, Mo., in 1844, where John spent seven years; in 1848, he served as a teamster during the Mexican war; also as a Wagon Master, transporting army supplies to Salt Lake during the Mormon troubles in that Territory. He crossed the plains twice in an early day; left California in October, 1855, and arrived in Brownville, Neb., December 18, the same year, when the town was composed of but a few log cabins. There were then about thirty-five voters in the county. Mr. B. is the oldest settler in the county, with the exception of John Clark, Thomas Edwards, William Hoover, John Long. Mr. B. bought a claim in February, 1856, adjoining town, which is now one of the most valuable farms in Brownville. He first built a log house, gobbled from Government lands, with huge chimneys out of doors, after the style of his native State. He has since built two substantial frame houses, one of which burned down.
E. D. BERLIN farmer, P. O. London; born in 1842, in Northampton County, Penn. In 1858 his parents, Abraham and Maria Berlin, removed to Stephenson County, Ill. E. D. Berlin enlisted, in 1862, in the Ninety-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry; he served with the Army of the Tennessee, and was at Fort Pillow, Black River Bridge, Champion Hills and through the siege of Vicksburg. During the siege of Vicksburg, he contracted a fever, which caused a temporary loss of speech and his retirement to the Invalid Corps, where he served until his discharge, in July, 1865. Mr. Berlin then lived in Illinois until 1872, when he came to Nebraska and settled on his present farm, 1875. He is a member with his wife of the Protestant Methodist Church. He married near her birthplace in Bureau County, Ill., Clara Miller; their only child, a daughter, named Viola, was born in Bureau County, Ill.
J. C. BOUSFIELD, County Treasurer of Nemaha County, was born August 26, 1840; came West in 1856, locating at Table Rock, Neb.; two years later, he removed to Missouri, returned to Nebraska, thence went to Kansas and, in November, 1861, enlisted in the Second Kansas Artillery, serving with the Army of the Northwest until the mustering out of the battery, in 1864. Returning, he lived in Pawnee County Neb., until his settlement at Brownville, in 1866. Mr. Bousfield is a genial, friendly man of the strictest integrity, a Republican in politics and a man who has prospered in the world as a dealer in live stock. He was elected Mayor of Brownville in 1880, and to his present position in 1881. Mr. Bousfield is a son of Richard and Anne (Cottingham) Bousfield, both natives of England.
J. H. BROADY, Brownville, attorney and counselor at law was born April 14,1844, in Liberty Adams Co., Ill. where he spent his early life, entered the State University of Michigan in 1865; graduated in 1867 and entered the office of Skinner & Marsh, Quincy, Ill., and late in the same year opened an office in Brownville. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1875; was elected District Attorney of the Second Judicial District of Nebraska in 1876, as a Democrat, over his Republican opponent, by a majority of four, receiving a majority of 1,027 in Nemaha, the county of his residence. Mr. B. is one of the Directors of the Carson Land Company, and enjoys the honor of being the only member of the Nemaha County bar who has ever practiced in the Supreme Court of the United States, before which distinguished tribunal he has several important cases, and has won his first trial there.
CHARLES CAMPBELL, farmer, Sections 7 and 6, P. O. London. Mr. Campbell was born in Belmont County Ohio, October 28, 1834; has been a life long farmer; removed to Knox County, Ill., in 1856, and in September, 1861, enlisted in the Eleventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry commanded by the now famous Col. R. G. Ingersoll; participated in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth, etc., and was honorably discharged on account of physical disability at the end of eighteen months. He came to Nebraska in 1866, and to his present farm in the spring of 1867. Mr. Campbell has made substantial improvements here in the line of tree-planting and building. He married Eliza Miller, of Preble County, Ohio, by whom be has three children--John A., Frank E. and Viola B. Mr. Campbell has been Master Pleasant Ridge Grange, and is now a member of the Farmers' Alliance.
DAVID CAMPBELL of Brownville, was born June 8,1832, in County Down, Ireland; and came to America in 1847, locating at Fairfax County, Va.; removed in 1853 to Independence, Mo., where he did some frontier farming. After a brief residence in St. Louis, he came to Brownville in 1857, made a claim ten miles west of town, built a house and settled there, but 40 per cent interest, and the failure of the Nebraska banks beat him out of his last cent and farm. During the late civil unpleasantness he served in the Twelfth Missouri Cavalry, under such cavalry leaders as Grierson, A. J. Smith and Wilson, seeing his full share of service in Mississippi and Tennessee. At the close of the war the regiment was sent on the Powder River expedition, and on his return in 1866 mustered out at Leavenworth, Kan. Returning to Brownville, he graded streets on (c)ontract for a time; served as City Marshall for five years at a salary of $1,000 a year then collected county money two years, at the end of which time be began his present business, dealing in all kinds of agricultural implements, wagons, buggies, wagon timber and heavy hardware; has about $10,000 invested, and owns branch establishments at Howard, Sheridan and Nemaha City. Mr. Campbell is Senior Warden of the Episcopal Church; is a stanch Democrat, and a Freemason. By his first wife, formerly Margaret Garrity, who died in 1872, he has a daughter, Mary E. The present wife was Anne Mooney, of Brownville.
[Portrait of John Carson.]
JOHN L CARSON, President of the First National Bank, Brownville; born August 30, 1832 in Franklin County, Penn. His early life was spent as a mercantile clerk in his native State. Before he was eighteen he was placed in charge of a drug store and a boot and shoe manufacturing establishment, and was in control of the latter about five years. In 1856, he was sent as a Collector to Keokuk, Iowa; a year later he came to Brownville, and in June of that year the firm of Lushbaugh & Carson, bankers, was formed. Mr. Lushbaugh withdrew in 1860, Mr. Carson continuing the business. In 1871, the bank was re-organized as at present constituted. It is officered as follows: J. L. Carson, President; A. R. Davison, Cashier; J. C. McNaughton, Assistant Cashier. Since his residence in Brownville, Mr. Carson has been an extensive dealer in real estate. The town now springing up at the junction of the Burlington & Missouri, and Missouri Pacific R. R., platted November 1881, was named in his honor. Mr. Carson is Republican in politics, and has never sought political advancement, though he is now serving as one of the Board of Regents of the State University. During the late civil war he served three years in the commissary department United States Army, holding the rank of Captain of cavalry. Mr. Carson is the son of James O. and Rosanna M. (White) Carson. He married in 1863, Mary Ruley, a native of Ohio. Their four children are named James O., Mary M., John L. and Rosanna.
JOHN C. CLARK, farmer, P. O. Brownville, was born in 1826, in Pulaski County, Ky., and spent his early life in Lincoln County, Ky., where he learned the trade of bricklayer, removed to Holt County, Mo. in 1850, and in March, 1855, located with his family in Brownville, intending to following his trade in that town. In December, 1856, he bought his present farm of W. A. Finney, entering it in April, 1857. At this time twelve acres only were broken and a log house built; Mr. Clark now has the greater part of his fine quarter section under cultivation, and has lived for the past twenty-three years in a substantial brick house. He married in Holt County, Mo., Mary E. Noland, by whom he has seven children--Sarah E., Florence, Catherine, Lee, Edith, Holladay and Thomas; a son, William, died in his nineteenth year, and a daughter, Adela, in her fourth year. The father of Mr. Clark, William Clark, was born in 1795, in Amherst County, Va., and died in Lincoln County, Ky. His widow, formerly Elizabeth Wood, was born in Charlotte County, Va., and is still living, hale and hearty, in her eighty-seventh year, she being one of the oldest persons in Nemaha County.
HON. JESSE COLE, farmer, P. O. Brownville, was born December 15, 1805, in Franklin County, Ky. Thirteen years later his father settled in Ripley County, Ind., where our subject grew to manhood. From 1825 until 1844, he lived in Shelby County, Ind.; he then removed to Atchison County, Mo., with his family. From there in the fall of 1854, he came to Nemaha County, Neb., making a claim on Section 11, Brownville Precinct, and during that season he, with his second and third sons, built of hewed logs, a claim shanty. Mr. Cole with the exception of Israel Cummings and Hudson Clayton, is the oldest settler in Nemaha County. He was elected as a Jacksonian Democrat to the first Territorial Council, and elected County Judge in 1858. He recalls with keen zest the enjoyments of an old-fashioned barbacue held July 4,1856, on the now washed-out fair grounds in Brownville. Mr. Cole married in Shelby County, Ind., in 1826, Alzalina Wheeler, who was born in 1810 in Adair County, Ky. They have five living children Sallie A. and Berilla both born in Shelby County, Ind., and now residents of California. Lina Cole was born in Shelby County, Ind., and is now in Nemaha County, Neb., Jane A. Cole was born in Atchison County, Mo., now in Bates, Mo. Henry G. Cole, the only living son, was born in Missouri, and is now a farmer of Nemaha County. Jesse Cole's three oldest children John, Jesse and Benjamin, all reached middle age, and died of consumption, each leaving families now residents of Nemaha County. Jesse Cole is spending his old age on a good farm, and looks back with pleasure to pioneer days, when Indians were his neighbors, and high taxes, "style" and jealousy, were unknown.
JOHN COLE, deceased, one of the pioneer settlers of Nemaha County was a son of the venerable veteran, Jesse Cole, born in Indiana; he removed to Missouri, where, in Atchison County, he married Eliza Hayes, a native of Shelby County, Ind. In February, 1856, he removed with his family to the present Nemaha County homestead. Although never a strong man physically, Mr. Cole developed extraordinary talent as a manager and speculator, acquiring farm after farm. At his death from consumption, December 19, 1869, he left a widow and six children--Jane, Sallie, J. Franklin, Rilla, William C. and Mollie. His estate comprised three quarter sections of fine land, lying contiguous to Brownville, and much personal property. Mr. Cole was during his lifetime a member of the Christian Church, and was a Democrat in political faith. His children are now residents of Nemaha County, with the exception of J. F. Cole now in Johnson County, Neb.
JONAS CRANE, M. D., deceased. In the death of this distinguished practitioner, the medical profession of the West suffered an irreparable loss. Dr. Crane was, without cavil, the ablest surgeon in the State of Nebraska, if, indeed, a peer could be found west of the Mississippi River. The following extracts from a finely written memorial obituary by Dr. Frank Howard, of Nebraska City, an old-time friend and partner will depict certain phases of the life of Dr. Crane: "On the morning of June 4, 1881, at sunrise, in his chamber, at his home in Brownville, Jonas Crane lay dying. Before the sun had climbed to his mid-day throne, while yet the soft, cool breeze was redolent of many odors of flowers, and melodious with the songs of many birds, Jonas Crane had ceased to be a personal factor amongst beings here. As he was a man of more than ordinary influence, note and potency here, it is a duty alike to the living and the dead that chronicle of his salient characters should be set down and preserved. He was born in the year 1820, in Beverly, Randolph County, in the State of Virginia. Infancy, childhood and youth were one almost uninterrupted struggle whether manhood should ever be attained. Especially was this contest irksome and embarrassing during his efforts to obtain an education. Schools and schoolhouses were few and far between, neither of the best description in the country. By the aid of the schools, and with his own efforts supplemented, he succeeded in obtaining a good English education, with a smattering of Latin, and possibly Greek. With this preliminary preparation, he entered the private office of Dr. John Thompson, in the town of Luray, Page County, in the valley of Virginia. Here he prosecuted his studies with assiduity, notwithstanding frequent embarrassing interruptions from failing health and failing means. The latter were replenished by teaching school, the former by mountain tours. The income from teaching provided most of the money used in defraying his expenses at college and attending lectures. His first course was taken at Hampden Sidney, at Richmond, Va., of which Mallet, Cabell and Joines were Professors at the time. * * * * In 1848-49, he graduated well--for in that day no honors or prizes were awarded--from the oldest medical college in this country--the University of Pennsylvania. Its corps of Professors contained at that time such eminent names as Hare, Leidy, Gibson, and the renowned Wood and Nathaniel Chapman--names known to all physicians in this country, honored in Europe, and which he an Alumnus, referred to with pride. With honor of graduation fresh upon him, he returned to Luray, and was secured as a partner by his former teacher. A few years afterward, he married the beautiful, accomplished and excellent lady, Miss Kate F. Burroughs, at Orange Springs, Va., in the year 1853. From this marriage, three children remain--two sons and a daughter. The children are nearly all arrived of age. A few years after his marriage, he removed to Oregon, Holt Co., Mo. * * * * As might be expected, he was hailed and welcomed by these new settlers in a new country, and gave him their confidence and their patronage. This country, at this period of its history, had no railroads, and steamboats were uncertain, and were limited to a few months of activity. Hence, some one for every hundred miles of circuit was relied upon to act as surgeon. He sprang almost at a bound to this position. The case that first brought him prominently before physician and people was one of severe compound comminuted fracture of the thigh-bone, from an accident in mill machinery. It was in a neighboring county. A doctor was already in attendance. Dr. Crane, in view of the fact that the limb was extensively contused and rapidly swelling, was in favor of delaying application of retentive apparatus until the eighth or ninth day, as no reparative action would sooner occur. The practice had been to apply splints and bandage at once. The patient, contrary to all lore or uneducated experience, and against the violent and continued protest of friends, consented, and finally succeeded in securing a useful member, free from limp or blemish. His career was one of unabated success with increased cliental and augmented confidence. With the exceptions of ovariotomy, lithotomy and ligation of the larger vessels, he performed all the others falling within the legitimate healing by the surgeon's art. His operations of a plastic character: rhinoplasty, cheiloplasty, and the still more difficult task of correcting vicious cicatrices of inodular tissue consequent upon extensive burns and scalds--were many. It is beyond controversy that he was the pioneer above St. Joseph in introducing and performing many operations. From Oregon he came to Brownville, in this state, in 1865, at which he resided at the time of his demise. Since his location in this State, he has continued, with undiminished interest, to practice his beloved art, until sheer debility, utter weakness, drove him reluctantly from the field, then to his bed, and finally the hand could no longer hold and guide the scalpel. Some of his achievements in operative surgery in the line of relief for irreducible strangulated hernia have been collected and published by Dr. L. J. Abbott of Fremont, and now constitute part of the history of the Nebraska State Medical Society, of which he was a member." The Doctor had money invested in Brownville as early as 1857, the firm of Crane & McAllister taking a good rank among the leading ones of the Territory. He lies buried in Walnut Grove Cemetery. His elegant home, the result of his years of lucrative practice, shelters a widow and three children, whose tender, earnest devotion to his memory is beautiful to witness.
JOSEPH CURTIS, proprietor of the Nemaha Valley Mills, and a large farmer of Aspinwall Precinct, came to Nebraska in 1868. He now owns about 600 acres of land in Nemaha County and the mill which he bought of F. E. Allen in 1881. This mill was built in 1868 by Joseph Thompson and Joseph Loveless; transferred by them to Mr. Allen and thoroughly rebuilt by him. It is now in first-class running order, furnished with three run of buhrs, one re-grinder, three bolt cloths, two purifiers, separator, etc., and does a large custom business. Mr. Curtis was born near Dayton, Ohio, and married Mary J. Westlake, of Miami County, Ohio, who died, leaving three children--Washington L., Burrell H. and Josiah T. By the present wife, née Catherine Kinney, he has two children--Mary G. and Joseph B. F.
JOHN C. DEUSER, a native of the Kingdom of Prussia, Germany, was born near Weisbaden in 1830; emigrated to America in 1849, settled in Louisville, Ky.; learned the tinner's trade in that city, settled in Brownville in 1857, started a manufacturing establishment and hardware trade in a log cabin north of the American Hotel. In 1858, he built a storehouse opposite the court house, moved his stock of merchandise into it and continued business until 1871, then sold out his entire stock of merchandise to Shurtz, Stevenson & Cross, having prior to this purchased a large body of land in Nemaha, Johnson and Thayer Counties. He sold out for the purpose of improving those lands; has been engaged in farming and stock-feeding, and is now engaged in the same. He married, in 1863, Cathern M. Helder, of Louisville, Ky., by whom he has three children living. The family united as members of the Presbyterian Church. John C. Deuser is a self-made man; commenced with nothing and gained his position by hard labor and exertions, and now enjoys the fruit of the same.
J. B. DOCKER, County Clerk of Nemaha County, came to Brownville in 1867 from Vincennes, Ind.; he was born February 20, 1830, in Shawneetown, Ill. When he was six years of age, his widowed mother removed to Vincennes, where he grew to manhood and engaged in mercantile business. He continued in Brownville as a clerk for Rainey & Lewis. He was, in the spring of 1868, employed by Jonas Hacker in the County Treasurer's office, and remained in this place six years, at the end of which time W. E. Majors appointed him Deputy County Clerk, which office he filled most creditably for six years. November 5,1881, he was elected County Clerk over a Republican and a Democrat, his undisputed qualifications procuring for him the office. Mr. Docker belongs to the A., F. & A. M., the I. O. O. F., the K. of P. and T. of H., he being an active and popular worker in all these lodges. His wife, formerly Minerva Nelson, is the mother of two children--Theodore H. and Vesta N., both born in Brownville.
[Portrait of Robert W. Furnas.]
EX-GOV. ROBERT W. FURNAS of Nebraska is of English ancestry, though his parents were both born in South Carolina, which State they left in 1804 because of slavery. They both died of cholera in 1832, when Robert W. was but eight years old. He was born May 5, 1824, on a farm in Miami County, Ohio, and at seventeen, went to Covington, Ky., where he served, to use his own expression, an old-fashioned apprenticeship at the printing business, of four years. Almost his entire education was obtained here, as he had never attended school not to exceed a year prior to this time. When about twenty-three years of age, young Furnas became proprietor and publisher and editor of the Troy, Ohio, Times, a Whig newspaper of which he disposed five years later. He was then consecutively agent and conductor on a railroad and insurance agent until 1856. In March of that year, he came to Brownville, Neb. and commenced publishing the Nebraska Advertiser, which is still published at South Auburn, Neb., and is the oldest newspaper in the State that has never been discontinued or changed name. Gov. Furnas served one year as clerk and four years as a member of the Territorial Council. At an early period in the civil war, he was commissioned Colonel in the United States Regular Army by President Lincoln, and organized the Indian Brigade of three regiments, which he commanded during its service in Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas and the Indian Territory. Resigning his command he returned, recruited the Second Nebraska Cavalry, and, as its Colonel, served in Gen. Sully's expedition against the Sioux Indians, pursuing them into British Columbia. He was appointed Agent for the Omaha and Winnebago Indians, and held the position for nearly four years. In the fall of 1872, he was elected Governor of Nebraska as a Republican, and served during one term: 1873-74; was then elected Regent of the State University, serving for six years, two years as President of the board. He has served eight years as president of the State Board of Agriculture; also as President of the State Horticultural Society, President of the Nebraska State Soldiers' Union, Vice President of the National Pomological Association, Past Grand Master of the I. O. O. F., Past Grand Master, Past Grand High Priest and Past Grand Commander of the Masonic bodies of Nebraska. He, while a member of the State Legislature, drafted and secured passage of the first common school law and the law organizing the State Board of Agriculture. In addition, Gov. Furnas enjoys the distinction of having organized the first school board in the Territory of Nebraska, and of having presided over the first State Educational Convention. It is entirely within the limits of truth and equity to say that Robert W. Furnas has planted and caused to be planted more trees on the great prairies of Nebraska than any other twenty men in it. His life long motto has been, leave this world something the better for having lived in it, and to this end the best years of his life have been most unselfishly devoted, self and self interests having been subserved to his one grand controlling idea. One of his chief delights has been to witness the results following his efforts to transform the so-called great American desert into a region covered with fruitful farms cultivated by an intelligent community of farmers. To use his own words again, "How successful I have been is for others to say; I have at least gone up head in all I undertook, and have had no time in which to accumulate wealth, believing perseverentia omnia vincil." The Governor has been a member of the Presbyterian Church since he was eighteen years of age. He married in 1845, in Cincinnati, Miss Mary A. McComas, who is still sharing with him their pleasant Brownville home. They have reared five children to manhood and womanhood. The Governor is now actively engaged in farming and fruit-growing on the Furnas fruit farm on the outskirts of the picturesque little city in which he has lived twenty-six years.
JAMES W. GIBSON, blacksmith, Brownville, is the veteran of that craft in Nemaha County. He was born in Jackson County, Mo., in 1833; his father, John Gibson, was a pioneer settler of Holt County, Mo.; he locating at or near St. Joe, when its site was only occupied by a French trader named Robideau. J. W. Gibson worked on his father's farm until he began working at his trade in Oregon, Mo. In December, 1855, he located in Brownville, building a shop on the site of the one he now occupies. This shop (the second one), was the second brick building erected in Brownville in 1857. Mr. Gibson is a member of the T. of H.; is a Democrat, and an industrious and esteemed citizen. He married in 1865, Maranda Haskins, a native of Illinois. They have a daughter, Edmonia E., born in Brownville.
A. H. GILMORE, Brownville, was born January 8,1829, in Preble County, Ohio. His early life was spent as an Indiana farmer. From Hoosierdom, he, in 1850, drove an ox team to California, where he spent three years. On the 25th of February, 1869 he settled at Brownville, where he engaged in the grocery business for about five years; in the fall of 1873, he was elected County Treasurer, and held the office four consecutive terms; although not an early settler, Mr. Gilmore has proven himself a strong and effective spoke in the social wheel at Brownville, of which city he has been Mayor and Councilman, besides serving as an energetic member of the School Board. Mr. Gilmore is an Elder in the Presbyterian Church at Brownville, and a prominent Odd Fellow. No man in Nemaha County has done more earnest and effectual work in fighting the liquor demon, as he has been connected with every temperance organization instituted in Brownville. By his wife, nee Josephine Allen, of Johnson County, Ind., he has five children--Albert D., Walter A. and Paul, born in Indiana; Eugene and Grace, born in Brownville.
J. M. GRAHAM, farmer, P. O. Brownville. Mr. Graham was born in 1832, in Otsego County, N. Y., in which he lived until the fall of 1856, when he came to Brownville; during the ensuing winter, he was in the employ of Joel Wood, and in the winter of 1857-58, taught school in what is now a part of G. W. Bratton's residence; about forty scholars were in attendance; some time in 1858, Mr. Graham was School Commissioner of Brownville; in 1860, he returned to his native State; came to Brownville again in 1867, and for nine years operated the City Mills, a flouring and lumber mill which narrowly escaped being washed away by the voracious Missouri on several occasions; since August, 1881, Mr. Graham has lived on his farm, though still owning a large residence and some other property in Brownville. He married Sara E. Lippitt, by whom he has two children--Charles H. and Stella. Mr. and Mrs. Graham are Presbyterians.
WILLIAM R. HALL. (deceased). Mr. Hall was born in Pennsylvania, and settled in 1837 in Rutherford County, Tenn.; here, in his native county, he married Anna E. Lyell; they removed in 1849 to Atchison County, Mo., and thence in March, 1856, to Nemaha County, Neb., Mr. Hall buying the claim of S. Cook for $500 and the pre-emption fee; to this he added forty acres, making the 200-acre farm, now the property of the widow and children. Mr. Hall was a founder of Mt. Zion Baptist Church, and served as a Deacon many years; at his death, January 30, 1878, he left six children--John R., Nancy (Mrs. William Helms), Mary (Mrs. William Morrison), Maria (Mrs. Jason Dodd), Thomas and Mark, all residents of Nebraska, except Mrs. Helms, now in Kansas. The youngest son is now married and in charged of the homestead. Henry Hall, a son of William R. Hall, enlisted at eighteen in a Nebraska regiment, went South, and was killed at Cabin Creek, Ark., during the rebellion.
C. E. HARRIS, station agent, express agent and telegraph operator, Brownville. Mr. Harris began his career as a teacher in Illinois, of which State his father, Levi Harris, was an early settler; the family came from Fitchburg, Mass., where C. E. Harris was born; in 1868, he entered the office of the C., B. & Q. R. R. at Galva, Ill., and continued in the employ of that company, with the exception of short intervals, for many years; in 1878-79, he was at Council Bluffs, Iowa, under General Western Agent Phillippi, now of Chicago, at the time the B. & M. road was being pushed through the Republican Valley; Mr. Harris was stationed successively at Alma, Orleans, Arapahoe; in June, 1880, he received the appointment to his present position, where his attention to business and courteous spirit render him deservedly popular with all classes.