Topography | Pre-Historic | Early Settlement|
First Fourth of July | Reminiscences | Jayhawking|
Organization | County Seat Troubles
War History | Official Roster | County Buildings | Railroads | Ferries|
Farmers' Clubs | Grasshoppers | Agricultural Society|
Nemaha County Mills | Bridges | Educational | Religious | Progress|
Statistics of Property | National and State Officials
Brownville: Early History | Pioneer Incidents | Surveys and Additions
Brownville (cont.): Incorporation | Official Roster|
Nemaha Valley Insurance Company
The Brownville Stone and Stone Coal Company
The First Telegraph Line | The First Train of Cars | Storm and Flood
Express Robbery | Educational | Religious | The Press
United States Land Office | River Improvements | Post Office
Masonic And Other Organizations | Library Association and Lyceum
Hotels | Banks | United States Express Company
Walnut Grove Cemetery | Manufactories | Attorneys and Physicians
Carson | London
8 ~ 10:
ARMSTRONG~HARRIS | HAWKS~MAXWELL
Peru: Early History | Societies | Education | The Press|
Railroads and Business Interests | Personal and incidents
Peru (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
Nemaha City: Early Settlement | Organization | Education|
Religious | Societies | The Press | Business Interests
Nemaha City (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
North Auburn: Early History | Religious | Educational | Societies|
Press | Hotels
South Auburn: Religious | Societies | The Press
North Auburn & South Auburn: Biographical Sketches|
Brock: Biographical Sketches|
Aspinwall: Biographical Sketches|
Johnson & Clifton: Biographical Sketches|
St. Deroin - Febing - Bedford: Biographical Sketches
Other Towns: Biographical Sketches|
List of Illustrations in Nemaha County Chapter
Early in January, 1866, John L. Colhapp, the editor of the Brownville Advertiser, inaugurated a movement for supplying precinct farmers' clubs with libraries, a most commendable undertaking. He thought that the farmers of each precinct should sustain a good library of books upon agricultural subjects for the information and entertainment of its own members, which all could have access to, to read for information between meetings. To that end, Mr. Colhapp spent a few hours among the merchants on the 28th of November, 1865, and secured the sum of $70 to offer as a bonus for the organization of clubs, which was to be distributed in the following manner: To the first precinct farmers' club which shall be organized within the next two months from that time, which shall keep up its organization, meeting regularly once a week, and sending a true copy of the proceedings of each meeting to the Advertiser for publication, which shall be evidence of such meeting, the publisher would, at the end of three months, give a library of books on agriculture worth $30. To the second precinct farmers' club organized within two months from date, and conforming to the stipulations in the above, a library worth $20. To the third precinct farmers' club, organized within the same period, the sum of $15. To this worthy object the following sums were donated: Swan and Bro., $10; Atkinson & Co., $10; J. Berry, $10; G. M. Henderson, $10; Rainey & Co., $10; W. H. Hoover, $5; George W. Hill & Co., $10; the "Good Samaritan," $5. Others were invited to join in the good work in order that every precinct might be encouraged to organize clubs for self-culture.
The farmers of Fairview were the first to organize after Mr. Colhapp's proposition. At their first meeting, the subject of raising and disposing of grain was discussed in an interesting and practical manner by J. Kennedy, George and D. C. Bryant, H. Storm, W. Randel, F. E. Allen and George Crow. The most of the speakers concurred in the opinion that it did not pay to raise wheat in Nemaha County. At the second meeting, held February 9, a committee appointed to ascertain the amount of corn owned by members of the club reported 15,450 bushels. the club also adopted a constitution and by-laws. At the third meeting, held February 16, the subject "Raising and Improving Stock" was discussed, Messrs. George Crow (President of the club), George Bryant, J. Swartz, Emery Peck and F. E. Allen taking part in the discussion.
The Fairview Club continued its meetings regularly, and as the pioneer society of that kind in the county, maintained a leading position, its members being always noted for the extent of their information on subjects relating to all branches of agriculture. The good example of Fairview was followed by other sections of the county, and but for the demand of politics on the columns of the Advertiser, all their meetings would have been regularly published. At the present time, the most prosperous farmers' library association in Nemaha County is at Clifton, in La Fayette Precinct. A description of this library was read at a meeting of the Farmers Institute, held at Howard last February. From this statement it appears that in 1876, a few farmers residing in the vicinity of Clifton organized a circulating library which has proved to be a success. The organization was as follows: The farmers agreed upon a few of their neighbors who were invited to join them on a certain evening; on meeting, each person named the amount he was willing to pay annually. They voted according to the sums subscribed on a few rules, and elected one of their number Librarian for the then ensuing year; the Librarian also to act as Secretary and Treasurer. One of the more important rules was that each member should have the right to choose books at the retail price to the amount of money paid, and when from any cause he wished to sever his connection with the association, he could withdraw the books he had chosen. This gave confidence of no ultimate loss, and also secured a popular selection of books. That an initiation fee of $2 as well as the expressed consent of all the members be obtained before any additional member be admitted, is another rule. As to the rent of books, it was provided that any person on the payment of $1 a year, of smaller sums for fractions thereof, should have the same use of the library as a member, that is, the right to draw one volume at a time, but have no voice in the management. There are no rules calling for the return of books at short intervals; it is found better to depend on the want of a fresh book to return the old one. If one should be kept out beyond a reasonable time, a postal will generally insure its return. Many times it takes a busy man three months to thoroughly read a solid book, and there is no propriety in asking him to hurry through it or return it half read. It does not cost any more to furnish one book fifty-two weeks than it does fifty-two books one week. And, in fact, it would be so inconvenient for most people in the country to return books once in three weeks, or less, that they would not be read at all. Books may be ordered through local booksellers at about 20 per cent discount from retail prices. It is found sometimes advantageous to secure second-hand books, which can be obtained at about one-half the original price. Magazines are useful to keep up a continuous interest, but they are expensive, their best feature being that they are up with the time. An important feature is the selection of proper books. A live library cannot be sustained with dull, dead books. Parents do not care for historical works, but the children do. Generally if the parents insist on the child reading dry books, the latter will either rebel or take to sensational trash. The classes of books most read from the Clifton library are standard American fiction, juveniles, essays, travels and scientific works. The cash receipts of the Clifton Library the first year (1876) amounted to $40, which purchased forty-five volumes. Thirty-five books were loaned to the library, which were about all that have been received in that way. Twenty-four persons took out books the first year, and 200 changes were made. There has been a slight increase in money received from year to year until the annual receipts are now about $85. There are circulated about nine hundred volumes yearly to over eighty readers. The library has increased to 700 volumes, which have cost not far from $500. The items of cost aside from books, such as postage, book-covers, etc., averages $5 per year. There has been no charge for services of Librarian, Secretary and Treasurer, as the extra use of books has paid for such services.
These pests appeared in Nemaha in 1866 and 1867, but did comparatively little damage, save on new ground, where they fed to considerable extent. In some instances, they damaged wheat on new ground, while within forty rods wheat upon old ground was left untouched. When they grew to the size of an ordinary house-fly, they generally disappeared. A very heavy rain in the latter part of May, 1867, seemed to materially diminish their numbers. During this year, Col. Furnas made an experiment in his garden, by saturating saw-dust in coal-oil and sprinkled it around his plants. The effect was favorable. He averred that after the application of the coal-oil nothing was damaged in the vicinity.
In 1874, they again appeared and deposited their eggs, and in 1875 they appeared in myriad numbers. As early as June, they had already wrought much damage. The Brownville Advertiser of June 3 said: "With us, doubts arise that the 'parasite' will close the career of the present crop of grasshoppers. Whatever may be the future of the present crop of the pest, whether it shall become extinct or live to reproduce its kind in multiplied millions, there is one thing it needs no scientist to tell, and that is that the 'hopper is literally 'eating us out of house and home' and are destroying our fields of young grain. This is all we know. They came last fall, and did mischief and deposited their eggs, and no parasite interfered to stop them before their mission was fulfilled. The eggs have all hatched, and already the young 'hopper has done us more damage than did their progenitors last fall, and persons, with reason, say, 'what matters it whether the grasshopper lives or dies, since it has eaten all I have and rendered hopeless all prospects of living from my farm or garden resources.'" But the people were advised to be of good cheer, although the prospect looked dark. Those who had lost their wheat were advised to plant corn and potatoes, and to continue to plant as long as there was a reasonable hope of a return for their labor.
On the 15th of June, a committee appointed by the State Horticultural Society reported the almost, if not entire, loss of the large and well selected nurseries of Gov. R. W. Furnas and others by the depredations of the grasshoppers. The loss of these nurseries was a calamity to the whole State, as well as being an entire loss to the individual proprietors. The labor of years was swept entirely away by the pests. The committee further expressed sympathy for the farmers who had lost their crops of wheat, corn, oats, barley, potatoes, etc.; but the crops are but the labor of a single season, while the planting and growing of orchards has taken years of unremitting toll and attention.
June 16, a meeting of citizens was held in Brownville, for the purpose of distributing seed-corn to the destitute people of the county. Addresses were delivered by Gen. Brisbin (of the State Aid Society), Dr. McPherson and H. C. Lett. A committee, consisting of F. E. Johnson, F. A. Tisdell, William Stokes, George B. Moore, G. W. Fairbrother, James Stevenson and W. W. Smith, was appointed for the purpose of receiving and distributing the aid. At a subsequent meeting of the committee, the following precinct committees were appointed: Peru, W. W. Smith, Dr. J. F. Neal and Mr. Parrott; Glen Rock, N. P. Maeder, William Bagley, William Phillips; Lafayette, William Swan, J. Higgins, H. Edmiston; Washington, J. Gilbert, O. J. Mathews, H. Hockemeyer; Benton, J. Steinman, B. Bailey, J. Tuxhorn; Bedford, P. Dougherty, D. Morris, J. W. Huntington; Douglas, A. C. Leaper, E. Snyder, J. B. Piper; London, R. Kesterson, S. W. McGrew, C. Campbell; Brownville, J. Marlatte, W. Harris, W. Penny; Nemaha, Dr. F. G. Holmes, E. Rogers, W. Young; Aspinwall, J. B. Fisher, W. Burke, G. Lilly; St. Deroin, F. H. D. Hunt, A. J. Ritter, J. B. Lundy; Island, R. Masterson, Mr. Knight. Messengers were immediately sent to notify the sub-committeemen to meet in Brownville the following Tuesday at 2 P.M. All came promptly, and the corn furnished by the State Aid Society was distributed as follows: Nemaha, 97½ bushels; St. Deroin, 15½ bushels; Bedford, 58½ bushels; Benton, 47½ bushels; Glen Rock, 117½ bushels; Douglas, 51½ bushels; Aspinwall, 56½ bushels; London, 137½ bushels; Washington, 30 bushels; Brownville, 86 bushels; Peru, 129½ bushels. Lafayette and Island Precincts made no application for assistance. The quantity allowed each precinct was about what was asked for by the precinct committees. The several amounts were satisfactorily distributed. Hon. Church Howe also procured from the Grange Aid Society the sum of $450, with which to purchase seed corn. At a meeting of the Central Committee, held June 19, in Brownville, a committee was appointed to purchase additional seed corn at the best rates possible. In the discharge of this duty corn was purchased as follows: Of Col. Thompson, at Phelps, 425 bushels, and of Huddart & McCoy, Brownville, 375 bushels, all at 73 cents per bushel. This was also promptly distributed. The remainder of the county aid seed potatoes, buckwheat, turnip seed and Hungarian were duly received and promptly distributed to the most needy.
A few cases of wrongful appropriation of seed corn, etc., caused a meeting at Mt. Zion Church, in London Precinct, on the 1st of July, where it was resolved, "that we recognize parties who thus violate the law to be equally guilty with those who rob indiscriminately without excuse, and that we view the pretext as only a subterfuge to endeavor to conceal the actual intention of those persons to apply to their own benefit property belonging to others, without consent or recompense."
The whole result of the grasshopper raid may be thus summed up: The troubles of the spring of 1875 may be almost entirely attributable to grasshoppers. Otherwise the surroundings were propitious in all respects. The infected district was small, however, confined almost exclusively to the smaller portions of four southeast counties on the Missouri River and two adjoining on the west. In Nemaha and the other counties indicated, but slight damage occurred to crops the season previous. Car loads of products were donated to those in the interior and on the borders. In the eastern part of these counties the grasshoppers deposited their eggs the fall previous. Hatching out in early spring, all early crops were totally destroyed and vegetation kept back to the time of their flight, commencing about the 15th of June. There is no doubt if intelligent, persistent, united, well-directed labor had been applied nine-tenths of the crops lost would have been saved and, at the same time, a larger proportion even of grasshoppers exterminated. With present experience, another year in all respects like the past, there would be nothing to alarm or even discourage the determined, intelligent husbandman. Notwithstanding the combined misfortunes of the two seasons narrated, the aggregate yield of the county was nearly equal to former years. While the small grain, vegetables and fruit were destroyed, abundant time remained to put in an increased acreage of corn, millet and other late crops, all of which yielded plenteously. The most severe losses fell on men like Gov. Furnas and other nurserymen. From them was swept away the labor of many years. This gentleman's losses foot up from $10,000 to $15,000. The people of Nemaha County consoled themselves with the reflection that though their losses would aggregate hundreds of thousands of dollars, yet they were vouchsafed a healthy season, and were spared the terrible affliction of a general famine, like the unfortunate people of the Mississippi Valley. At the close of the season, many people rather rejoiced, because the grasshopper calamity proved what would not otherwise have been deemed possible, to wit: Full-eared, merchantable corn, white and yellow, from nine to twelve inches in length, was grown, although planted after the 4th day of July. The corn was full grained and sufficiently mature for the crib before the coming of frost--just eleven weeks from the time it was planted. The Nemaha farmers, "from seeming evil still educing good," proudly exclaim, "Can the world beat the producing qualities of our soil and the maturing powers of our climate?"
February 9, 1857, the Legislature passed an act incorporating the Nemaha County Agriculture Society, with the following named persons, their associates and successors, as incorporators: T. N. Sanders, C. W. Wheeler, J. S. Minick, Jesse Cole, William Horn, R. J. Whitney, Stephen Fudge, J. W. Coleman, B. Chapman, William Ferguson, A. Handley, Israel Cuming, J. G. McCathron, J. C. Clark, A. H. Scoville, Willis Hill, J. W. Hall, S. A. Chambers, A. Skien, A. Hoblitzell, E. Reid. They were authorized to purchase and hold real estate sufficient for fair and exhibition grounds, not exceeding one hundred and sixty acres; to sell and convey the same, and re-invest the proceeds or any part therof, as the Board of Managers may direct. The purposes of the incorporation were declared to be for the encouragement of agriculture and the improvement of the breed of stock, and the encouragement of the arts and domestic manufactures. Section 3 prescribed the mode for organization and the names and number of officers to constitute the society. Section 4 provided that as soon as practicable after the election of officers, the Secretary shall open a book of membership, and any person being a bona fide citizen of Nemaha County, who shall subscribe his name in said book and pay the fee provided for in the constitution and by-laws of said society--which shall not be more than $5 nor less than $1--shall be a member of said society, and shall be entitled to vote at all elections of officers of the same, and enjoy all other rights and privileges usually conferred upon members of such societies. Section 6 provided that no officer except the Secretary shall receive any compensation for services as such, nor shall the funds of this society be used for any other purpose than to defray the incidental expenses of said society and in the payment of premiums under the direction and management of said society.
Under the provisions of this act of incorporation, a meeting was held in Brownville, September 12, 1857, and a permanent organization effected by the election of the following officers: John S. Minick, President; James W. Coleman, Vice President; Robert W. Furnas, Secretary; Jesse Cole, Treasurer; E. Reid, G. Crow, D. C. Saunders, J. G. McCathron, J. W. Hall, Directors. It was then on motion, resolved, that R. W. Furnas, J. S. Minick and J. W. Coleman be appointed a committee to draft a code of by-laws for the government of the society, and further resolved, that for the present no officers be allowed any compensation.
October 6 and 7, 1859, with D. C. Saunders as President, and R. W. Furnas as Secretary, the first annual fair was held on the beautiful grounds in South Brownville. The first annual meeting was, on the whole, a success, although the pioneer officers had many difficulties to overcome. The Advertiser said of the meeting, that many disadvantageous circumstances surround all such enterprises in the beginning, and great allowances should be made. All cannot obtain premiums, of course. Some are disappointed, but none should be discouraged. Committeemen may err in judgment, as do other men. They do the best they can--more cannot be expected. We are all prone to think our own stock or articles are better than our neighbor's. The old saying, that "every crow thinks its own young the blackest," applies also to human nature. In Nemaha a great point has been reached and passed, and hereafter county fairs will be among the fixed institutions. The ball has been started, and will not be stopped. The disposition to excel is laudable, and was witnessed on every hand. On the first day, a farmer came in and looked around and exclaimed, "I can beat that," and off he went and brought in his stock and products. After the fair was over, many said to their friends who had been successful in obtaining premiums, "You beat me this year, but next year I'll be after you." Thus all classes became stimulated to do their best. By no means the least of the benefits to be derived from these annual meetings is the social feature--the annual coming together of the honest toilers on the farms in the county. The exciting political campaign of 1860 interfered with the annual meeting. In fact, none was attempted, although several prominent members blamed the Board of Managers, and thought an interesting display would have been the result if a premium list had been advertised. The war of the rebellion following the political campaign of 1860, put to an end to county fairs until the fall of 1867, when the friends of agriculture again held a county fair on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, September 25, 26, and 27. The meeting was in all respects successful. The premium lists were large, the awards gave satisfaction, and were promptly paid. Secretary Furnas measured and weighed several specimens of Nebraska's great product--corn--with the following result: G. Shellhorn, five ears yellow, weighed eight pounds; average length, twelve inches. B. F. McIninch, five ears white, eight pounds; average length eleven inches. Jesse Cole, five ears white, weighed seven pounds; length, ten inches. Among the rest, George Marshall exhibited some regular flour corn, as fine as was ever seen. The showing of wheat, turnips, beets, onions and carrots, was fair. George B. Davis exhibited a white beet weighing thirteen and a half pounds, twenty inches long the same circumference. A. D. Hughes showed a turnip weighing six pounds, twenty-three inches in circumference. Stafford exhibited carrots two feet long; George Marshall a pumpkin five feet in circumference; A. D. Hughes a squash four and half feet in circumference. The display of fruit was magnificent. The collection of grapes, pears and plums, from the garden of Col. Furnas, was magnificent, and would do credit to any old country. Apples, peaches, and other fruits, were displayed in profusion. Apples weighing a pound each, of the Big French, Pound Pippin and other varieties, were shown. Nor were the ladies backward with their laces, crochet work, jellies, etc. It was a noteworthy fact that the most of the persons to whom premiums were awarded gave them back to the society.
The third annual meeting, held September 26, 27 and 28, was even more successful than the preceding in all respects. In addition to the usual display and other vegetables, the choice stock of the county was placed on exhibition; fast horses and fat hogs, blooded bulls and cashmere goats, fine cows and calves, showing plainly that the county was becoming well stocked with choice breeds of animals, and that her citizens were alive to the importance of this branch of wealth and comfort. The stock was worthy of special commendation. For the year R. W. Furnas served as President, and H. O. Minick, Secretary. Lady riding and driving was an attractive feature of the fair.
The fourth annual fair, held September 22, 23 and 24, like the two preceding yearly gatherings of the people, was a marked success, and showed a steady increase in interest and improvement in the displays of stock and agricultural products. The early friends of the society exhibited undiminished zeal, and the financial affairs were well managed. In fruit, especially, the display was magnificent, and Nemaha was earning her title as the garden county of Nebraska. Messrs. Furnas, Bratton, Russell, J. A. Smith, Alderman, Shellenberger, Minick, Deuser, Glasgow, Mrs. Loveless, Mrs. Harding, all made superb exhibits of apples, peaches, pears, grapes, plums, crab-apples, etc.
In September, 1870, no county fairs were held, owing to the fact that the State Fair Association complimented Nemaha County by holding its annual fairs on the Nemaha Grounds. Everything passed off pleasantly at both meetings, and Sheriff Plasters was complimented by the directors for his admirable management of the grounds in preserving order.
The fifth annual meeting, held three days in the last week in September, 1872, seems to have been a comparative failure, caused probably by the fact that the preceding two annual meetings of the State fair had been held in Brownville. The displays in all departments were slight. It was remarked by those entering the floral hall, "Why, there is but little here, and what is there I myself could excel." The last day was given up to the Nemaha Driving Park Association, a society started in 1871, "for improving the breed of horses." There were several spirited racing contests.
The sixth annual meeting, held the last week in September, 1873, was not especially noticeable except for the fine display of paintings by ladies of the county. The Secretary deplored the fact that parties entitled to premiums displayed an unseemly greed in rushing for their money prizes. All were paid in full, however.
In 1874, no annual fair was held, the Directors giving the use of the grounds to the Nemaha Driving Park Association, who held a two days' meeting, October 16 and 17, and the meeting was a decided success. There was more than sufficient "gate-money' received to pay all expenses.
As a result of the grasshopper invasion, no annual meeting of the agriculture society was held during the year 1875.
In 1876, an interesting meeting was held three days during the last week in September. This, too, in spite of bad weather and the grasshoppers. The books showed 277 entries, a larger number than any preceding year. The officers worked indefatigably, and they achieved a large measure of success. All premiums were promptly paid. At a business meeting of the members, with President R. A. Hawley in the chair, Stevenson and Cross were declared life members. On motion, the Secretary, L. G. Lockwood, was ordered to publish a notice to all holding certificates of life membership in this society, to present the same to him for record; and if said certificates correspond with the list of names furnished by R. W. Furnas, then to record the same as life members of this society. The Secretary was also instructed to procure evidence of the payment on life memberships as soon as possible, and present the same to a meeting of the Board of Managers; such evidence to have reference to cases where no certificate of life membership has been issued.
The meeting of 1877, held as usual, three days in the last week in September, though in some respects successful, was, taken altogether, a failure. The stock display was not large. Hogs were scarce. One pen of sheep only on exhibition. A few excellent stock horses were placed on exhibition. The Brownville traders made a fair show of goods, wares and merchandise. Floral hall lacked its usual display. Nor was the attendance any better than the show. By the use of the State money premiums were paid.
In 1878, the annual meeting was held one week earlier than usual, to wit: September 18, 19 and 20, and was in all respects pleasant and successful. The entries exceeded three hundred, and there was lively competition in all departments. During this and the preceding year, Nemaha County carried off the first premiums for fruits at the State exhibition. The committees of award were Dr. John A. Warden, of Ohio; Dr. Allen Furnas, President of the Indiana Horticultural Society, and J. L. Coffin, a distinguished pomologist of the same state.
On the 3d of March, 1879, the president of the society, R. A. Hawley, made his annual report showing a balance in the hands of the association of $23.86. Placed on file. Treasurers report read and filed. The meeting then proceeded to the election of officers, which resulted in the choice of R. A. Hawley, President; J. Bath, Vice President; S. A. Osborn, Secretary; J. M. Trowbridge, Treasurer. It was also voted to hold an annual fair.
On motion of J. A. Smith, the Board of Managers were authorized to move and dispose of the property of the society, if the same should be placed in jeopardy by the encroachment of the river.
March 6, 1880, the regular meeting of the society was held at the court house, and H. C. Lett elected Chairman pro tem. The regular order being the election of officers, John L. Carson was unanimously chosen President; R. W. Furnas, unanimously Vice President; J. M. Trowbridge, Treasurer; and S. A. Osborn, Secretary. Last Board of Managers retained. On motion of Mr. Tipton, the officers of the society were authorized to dispose of the fair ground property as they may deem for the best interest of the association, to be guided by council as to the legality of their action. On motion, it was voted (as in the previous year) to hold a fair. At a meeting, held May 1, 1880, on motion of Gov. Furnas, the president was authorized to advertise for sale the fair ground property, at private sale, for two weeks, and if not sold at that time, to sell the real or personal property of the society, or both, as he may deem best, at pubic auction, on the 17th day of May, 1880.
On the 26th of March, 1881, the annual business meeting of the society was held. The President made a report on the sale of the fair company property as follows: For agricultural hall, $125; for the office, $25; for the ground, $41.50. Report adopted, and authority given to make deed for the real estate.
On the 4th of March, 1882, the Nemaha County Agricultural Association met in regular annual meeting at the court house, but there appearing to be no quorum present, the meeting adjourned without day. The present officers holding over from election of 1880, are John L. Carson, President; R. W. Furnas, Vice President; J. M. Trowbridge, Treasurer; S. A. Osborn, Secretary; H. O. Minick, S. Cochrane, F. E. Johnson, Thomas Bath, George Crow, J. W. Gavitt, Directors. The river, for the past three or four years, has been steadily encroaching on what was once the beautiful fair grounds in South Brownville, and at the present time three-quarters of it has tumbled into the turbid Missouri. Whether any more meetings will be held by the Nemaha County Society is questionable.