Topography | Pre-Historic | Early Settlement|
First Fourth of July | Reminiscences | Jayhawking|
Organization | County Seat Troubles
War History | Official Roster | County Buildings | Railroads | Ferries|
Farmers' Clubs | Grasshoppers | Agricultural Society|
Nemaha County Mills | Bridges | Educational | Religious | Progress|
Statistics of Property | National and State Officials
Brownville: Early History | Pioneer Incidents | Surveys and Additions
Brownville (cont.): Incorporation | Official Roster|
Nemaha Valley Insurance Company
The Brownville Stone and Stone Coal Company
The First Telegraph Line | The First Train of Cars | Storm and Flood
Express Robbery | Educational | Religious | The Press
United States Land Office | River Improvements | Post Office
Masonic And Other Organizations | Library Association and Lyceum
Hotels | Banks | United States Express Company
Walnut Grove Cemetery | Manufactories | Attorneys and Physicians
Carson | London
8 ~ 10:
ARMSTRONG~HARRIS | HAWKS~MAXWELL
Peru: Early History | Societies | Education | The Press|
Railroads and Business Interests | Personal and incidents
Peru (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
Nemaha City: Early Settlement | Organization | Education|
Religious | Societies | The Press | Business Interests
Nemaha City (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
North Auburn: Early History | Religious | Educational | Societies|
Press | Hotels
South Auburn: Religious | Societies | The Press
North Auburn & South Auburn: Biographical Sketches|
Brock: Biographical Sketches|
Aspinwall: Biographical Sketches|
Johnson & Clifton: Biographical Sketches|
St. Deroin - Febing - Bedford: Biographical Sketches
Other Towns: Biographical Sketches|
List of Illustrations in Nemaha County Chapter
In pursuance of an act of Congress, approved March 3, 1857, establishing three additional land districts in the Territory of Nebraska, the office of the first, or Nemaha Land District, was placed in Brownville, George H. Nixon, of Tennessee, being appointed Registrar.
This office was opened for the pre-emption of lands September 2, 1857, with C. B. Smith, Receiver, and Eli Wilcox, Clerk. During the first month of its existence, the filings numbered 333, and the number of acres of land located 18,000. On the 10th of November, 1868, the office was removed to Beatrice, Gage County, as more convenient for those desirous of making pre-emptions, the majority of the tracts in the river counties being already settled and proved.
The local bureau for Missouri River improvement at Brownville is in charge of J. W. Pearl, Assistant Engineer, and M. T. Aguayo, Assistant, and W. A. Eberly, Clerk. The chief of the department is Maj. Charles R. Suter, who has charge of the improvements from Fort Benton to St. Louis, and also supervision of snag boat service on all the principal Western Rivers. The Congressional appropriation for 1881 was $10,000; for the next fiscal year, ending June, 1882, $10,000. The object of the improvement work is to induce deposits, close up shutes, and to improve the channel of the river. Every annual rise of the river causes the washing away of valuable farming lands, and to lessen this evil is the great desideratum; and, after many experiments, F. H. Harris, of St. Charles, Mo., originated the idea, that has been fully developed by Maj. L. E. Cooley (assistant to Maj. Suter), of planting wire screens or fences, that, on trial, have proven effective. Shutes have been closed, bars formed, and channels changed, at the will of the scientific gentlemen in charge of the work. Mr. Pearl has "made a fence" 2,200 feet long, a few miles above Brownville, that is working satisfactorily. With increased appropriations, the Government Engineers will permanently improve the hitherto untamable Missouri.
Richard Brown was the first appointed Postmaster of Brownville, but during his two years term of office the duties of the office were performed by Frederick Swartz. Dr. A. S. Holladay served from 1856 to 1858, when he resigned and gave place to C. G. Dorsey, who continued until 1859. From 1859 to 1860, John H. Mann. During the last-named year, T. J. White was appointed and held the position until April, 1861, when J. D. N. Thompson received the appointment. Capt. Thompson enlisted for the war, and left the office in charge of his deputy, who succeeded him as Postmaster in 1862. H. H. Marsh held the office until the fall of 1864, when he was displaced by T. R. Fisher. In July, 1865, A. D. Marsh secured the place, and held it until November, 1866. Then came W. W. Hackney for a few months, but A. D. Marsh again secured the prize, and continued in office until June, 1869, when Capt. W. A. Polock was appointed, and served the people until some two years since, when he was displaced and the present Postmaster, T. C. Hacker received the appointment.
Nemaha Valley Lodge, No. 4, A., F. & A. M., was organized at the residence of Jesse Noel, on College street, between Levee and First, on the 27th of September, 1857. The following members were present: George W. Bratton, Jesse Noel, Chester S. Langdon, R. W. Furnas, M. F. Clark, J. G. McCatteron, N. Goodrich, Jeremiah Marlatt, J. R. Crow, C. Dodge, Moses M. Connor, J. Colter, A. J. Jones, J. G. Skeen, J. W. Dentry, W. C. Johnson. The first officers chosen: George W. Bratton, W. M.; Jesse Noel, S. W.; C. F. Warden, J. W.; W. C. Johnson, Secretary; M. F. Clark, Treasurer. The lodge worked under dispensation until June 2, 1858, when it was chartered by the Grand Lodge. Present officers: J. J. Mercer, W. M.; B. F. Souder, S. W.; Alfred G. Burnett, J. W.; M. A. Handley, Treasurer; J. C. McNaughton, Secretary; W. T. Rogers, S. D.; Thomas J. Perry, J. D.; A. D. Marsh, Tiler. Number of members, seventy-nine. Regular meetings, Saturday evenings on or before full moons.
Brownville Chapter, No. 4, Royal Arch Masons, was organized November 1, 1867, and the following officers elected: Robert W. Furnas, High Priest; A. P. Cogswell, King; Moses M. Connor, Scribe. Present officers: A. R. Davison, H. P.; J. C. McNaughton, K; M. A. Handley, S; W. T. Rogers, C. H.; G. B. Moore, P. S.; Robert Teare, R. A. C.; A. W. Nickell, G. M. Third Veil; D. Campbell, G. M. Second Veil; J. M. Hacker, G. M. First Veil; J. Marohn, Guard. Regular meetings, second Thursday in every month.
Furnas Council, No. 3, R. A. M., was organized April 25, 1871. First officers, John Blake, T. I. M.; H. L. Crist, I. H. T.; H. M. Hart, C. W.; and T. A Creigh, R. Number of members, ninety. By edict of Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Nebraska, the Council has been merged with the local chapter.
Adah Chapter, No. 2, Eastern Star, was organized February 10, 1872, with the following named officers: R. W. Furnas, W. P.; Louisa M. Moore, W. M.; Mary E. McNaughton, A. M.; Lizzie Shurts, C. W.; Mary E. Gibson, A. C.; Charlotte Marohn, T.; Emma Blake, S; Laura S. Louder, Warden; Nannie Shurts, Adah; Junie Shurts, Ruth; Julia S. Porter, Esther; Susan Rainey, Martha; Rose Tisdel, Electa; Thomas Gally, Sentinel. Total number of members at organization, sixty-five.
Mount Carmel Commandery, No. 3, K. T., was organized under dispensation, July 28, 1870. The first officers were: R. W. Furnas, Eminent Commander; A. P. Coggswell, Generalissimo; John Blake, Captain General; George R. Davis, Prelate; A. J. McFall, Senior Warden; H. L. Crist, Junior Warden; John Blake, Treasurer and Recorder; F. M. Halsey, Standard Bearer; C. Woodley, Sword Bearer; H. M. Hart, Warder. Present officers: R. W. Furnas, E. C.; H. M. Hart, Gen.; R. T. Rainey, Capt. Gen.; H. C. Lett, Prelate; J. M. Hacker, S. W.; R. Teare, J. W.; J. L. Roy, Treas.; A. W. Nickell, Rec.; C. W. Wheeler, St. B.; J. M. McCabe, Sw. B.; H. L. Matthews, Warder; H. L. Crist, Third Guard; A. J. McFall, Second Guard; O. B. Hewett, First Guard. There are fourteen members. Regular meetings are the second Monday of each month.
Royal and Imperial Conclave of Rome-- The Red Cross of Constantine, was formed December 11, 1871, the charter coming from London, England. First officers: T. A. Creigh, Sovereign; C. W. Wheeler, Viceroy. Number of charter members, twelve. Present officers: Robert W. Furnas, Sovereign; H. M. Hart, Viceroy; D. H. Wheeler, Sr. Gen.; H. P. Duel, Jr. Gen.; W. E. Hill, Prelate; J. L. Roy, Treasurer; R. T. Rainey, Secretary; J. M. Hacker, Prefect; Robert Teare, Herald; T. A. Creigh, Standard Bearer; C. W. Wheeler, Sentinel.
Nemaha Driving Park Association, organized September, 1870. F. A. Tisdel, President; J. S. Hetzel, Treasurer; W. H. Hoover, Secretary and Treasurer.
I. O. O. F.--A meeting of members of this order was held in Brownville September 24, 1857, and steps taken for securing a dispensation to open a lodge in the town. The following persons were present: Richard Brown, John L. Doyer, R. W. Furnas, Henry Emerson, H. K. Newcomb, W. W. Brown. A charter was granted and the lodge organized as Brownville Lodge, No. 5. By dispensation of the Right Worthy Grand Lodge, the following-named persons were initiated into the mysteries of Odd Fellowship, January 8, 1858, by the R. W. Deputy G. M.: A. S. Holladay, Thomas Hill, Hudson George and Jesse Noel, and E. E. Parker and William Thurber admitted as ancient Odd Fellows. The officers elected were R. W. Furnas, N. G.; Richard Brown, V. G.; E. E. Parker, Recording Secretary; A. S. Holladay, Treasurer. The officers were duly installed by the D. G. M. At the present time the lodge numbers forty-six members and is officered as follows: James Hacker, N. G.; J. Jackson, V. G.; J. J. Mercer, Recording Secretary; A. H. Gilmore, Permanent Secretary; Jacob Marohn, Treasurer.
Brownville Division, S. of T., No. 19, was organized November 12, 1872. First officers: W. B. Slaughter, P. P.; A. H. Gilmore, W. A.; H. H. Dolen, R. S.; R. M. Watson, A. R. S.; David Campbell, T.; J. P. Brown, F. S.; W. A. Polock, C.; E. H. Porter, A. C.; Patrick Cline, I. S.; Henry Miller, O. S.; Suspended meetings four years since.
Excelsior Lodge, No. 15, Knights of Pythias, organized October 21, 1873. First officers: John Blake, C. C.; John B. McCabe, V. C.; L. A. Bergman, P. C.; W. T. Rogers, P.; E. Huddart, M. E.; H. L. Crist, M. F.; H. H. Dolen, K. of R. and S.; A. J. McFall, M. A.; T. D. Shurts, I. G.; J. C. McNaughton, O. G. Present officers: J. C. McNaughton, C. C.; David Adams, V. C.; William T. Rogers, P.; W. M. Kauffman, P. C.; William T. Den, M. E.; J. D. Docker, K. R. S.; D. T. Smith, M. A.; J. H. Bauer, I. G.; W. H. Conyes, O. G. Meets every Wednesday evening in Masonic Hall.
Brownville Lodge, I. O. G. T., was organized October 12, 1867, with the following officers: J. S. Church, W. C.; Decie Johnson, W. C.; J. W. Blackburn, Chaplain; W. D. Blackburn, Sec.; W. W. Dorsey, W. F. S.; O. B. Hewett, Treas.; A. Seaman, Marshal; George F. Henderson, Assistant Marshal; Hattie McPherson, I. G.; D. H. Lewis, O. G. The lodge maintained an existence for four years, and at one time numbered 100 members.
Brownville Dramatic Society was organized in 1876, and gave their first performance in McPherson's Hall April 23 of the same year--"Everybody's Friend" and "Bombastes Furioso"--to a crowded house. Members of the society: J. C. McNaughton, W. T. Rogers, E. Huddart, T. C. Hacker, Mrs. E. Huddart, Mrs. F. A. Tisdal, Mrs. W. T. Rogers, Miss Helen Holladay; J. B. Docker, Manager.
The Brownville Silver Coronet Band was organized in 1868, with the following list of members: James R. Dye, D. C. Smith, O. F. Lake, J. Berger, H. M. Hart, D. Hocker, R. D. Masterson, Christ Shook, H. H. Bryant, John Brockman, W. D. Schellenberger, G. W. Neeley, J. C. McNaughton, S. B. Bauserman, A. J. McFall, J. P. Deuser and J. Schurtz. During that year, with D. Clinton Smith as leader, the band cleared, between July 4 and the close of the Presidential campaign in November, the sum of $1,420. Since the organization of the band fourteen years ago, it has maintained its existence, and is now one of the best musical organizations in Nebraska. Its present list of members is as follows: D. C. Smith, Leader, Benjamin Arnold, W. T. Rogers, T. L. Jones, Ed. Ponn, Albert Eberly, T. Huddart, Ed. Arnold, Milton F. Jones and Arthur Prescott.
The Berry Washingtonians, a temperance organization, held their first meeting Sunday, October 26, 1868, with W. H. Small as President, and James Berry, Joseph O'Pelt, J. B. Berger, Michael Barada, members. The brethren subscribed to the following oath: "I, ______ _____, do hereby solemnly swear in the presence of God and these witnesses, that I will abstain from the use of all spirituous and malt liquors for the period of one year." October 26, 1869, the society ceased to exist.
On December 19, 1856, the first meeting of what was known as the Brownville Lyceum was held, a partial organization effected, and on the 26th of the same month it was affirmed by R. Brown and H. S. Brown that the repeal of the Missouri Compromise was right, the same being denied by G. W. Bratton and A. S. Holladay. On January 9, 1857, the question was debated as to whether the "Indian has a greater right to complain of the whites than the negro," H. S. Thorpe assuming the affirmative, and R. B. Stout, the negative. On January 23, the resolution that all kinds of stock should be restrained from running at large, was defended by J. W. Wells, and denied by Hugh Baker. On January 30, D. L. McGary took issue with G. W. Bratton as to whether the Christian religion, as received and practiced, has been an injury to the human family. How these momentous subjects were decided is unknown. On February 9, 1857, a special act of the Legislature was approved, incorporating the "Brownville Lyceum, Library and Literary Association," constituting R. Brown, A. S. Holladay, H. S. Thorpe, G. W. Bratton, C. S. Langdon, D. L. McGary, Charles Dorsey, A. J. Benedict, J. M. Wood, J. L. Dozier, I. T. Whyte, J. Noel, H. W. Lake and R. W. Furnas, their associates and successors, a body corporate and politic, under the name and style as given, the object of the incorporation to be the establishment and promotion of a Lyceum, Library and Reading Room in Brownville.
At a meeting of the Trustees, held at the office of D. L. McGary, September 11, 1858, an organization was effected with A. S. Holladay, President, and H. S. Thorp, Secretary, and shortly afterward a reading room was opened; subsequently closed for lack of support in November of the same year.
During the winter of 1859-60, a series of lectures was given, under the auspices of the association. Eight lectures were delivered, as follows: T. W. Tipton, Demosthenes and Webster; T. W. Tipton, Humbug; Dr. A. S. Holladay, Sources of Disease; Dr. Arnold, Immortality of the Soul; Judge O. B. Hewett, Manifest Destiny of the United States; W. C. Johnson, The Historian, The Statesman, and the Divine; R. W. Furnas, The Manifest Greatness of our Country; E. W. Thomas, The Influence of the Institutions of the Middle Ages on the Present State of Society.
A re-organization was effected in February, 1860, with R. W. Furnas, President; T.L. Carson, Vice President; E. W. Thomas, Secretary; Luther Hoadley, Treasurer and Librarian; and the reading room was re-opened to the public. On October 27, 1860, a committee was appointed to secure lecturers, and through its efforts, addresses were delivered during the fall and winter by Dr. Arnold, Dr. Holladay, August Schoenheit, E. W. Thomas and Rev. A. S. Billingsley.
At the second annual meeting under the re-organization, held in February, 1861, J. M. McPherson superseded J. L. Carson as Vice President, no other changes being made. November 17, 1864, a fire occurred in Exchange Bank building, which contained the library, slightly damaging the books, and in the following months, additions were made to the library to the amount of $400. A course of lectures were delivered in 1864-65, the first one being by O. B. Hewett, on Education. Others were by Rev. J. T. Baird and Bayard Taylor, Russia and the Russians. Shortly after this, the association practically suspended operations. The Brownville Library Association, was organized in 1879, with officers as follows: President, John L. Carson; Vice President, Mrs. Julia McGee; Secretary, G. D. Cross; Treasurer, Oscar Cecil; Board of Directors, J. J. Mercer, J. W. Broady, T. L. Schick, Mrs. J. S. Minick, Mrs. A. E. Hill and A. H. Davidson. Of these, T. L. Schick is deceased. The vacancy has not been filled and no change has been made in the list of officers. The first Librarian was Mrs. Thurman, the second, Clara Mercer, and the Librarian in April, 1882, Mrs. A. E. Hill. The library contains about one thousand well-selected volumes, and occupies the rooms over the old bank building, on Main street, between First and Second. It is now in a highly prosperous condition.
The first regular hotel in Brownsville was the Nebraska House, built in the early part of 1856, by Taulbird Edwards. Prior to this a number of boarding-houses approximating to hotel dignity, but without distinguishing names, were in operation, but nothing that was claimed to be such by the citizens. This hotel was leased to A. J. Benedict in July, 1856, and conducted by him until the spring of 1858, when he was succeeded by T. H. Edwards and Andrew J. Berry, under the firm name of Edwards & Berry. In 1860, the house passed into the hands of Peter G. Hendgen, who changed its name to that of the American House. Since that time, the house has passed through a number of hands, with varying fortunes, consequent upon its location, on the levee, near the steamboat landing. Its present proprietor, L. D. Robinson, has had the management of it since 1865. On June 24, 1857, a number of citizens, feeling the necessity of having a first-class hotel, in a central location, organized the Brownville Hotel Company, with James W. Coleman, Alexander Hallam, C. W. Wheeler, H. Johnson, and R. Brown, as Directors. These in their turn elected C. W. Wheeler, President; and Alexander Hallam, Secretary and Treasurer. The erection of a brick building, fifty by eighty feet and three stories in height, was at once commenced on the corner of Main and Second streets, and, at a meeting held in October of the same year, the stockholders unanimously resolved to issue scrip, payable one year after date, bearing 20 per cent interest per annum, in order to raise funds for the completion of the building; $6,000 of this scrip was issued, $5,951 of which were redeemed, and burnt, August 29, 1859.
The hotel was completed in the spring of 1858, and in June of the same year, was leased by the company to Robert Morrison and C. W. Wheeler, under the firm name of Morrison & Wheeler, who opened it to the public in July. During the following month, C. W. Wheeler withdrew from the firm, Robert Morrison continuing alone in the proprietorship until April 1, 1859, when he was succeeded in his turn by Wheeler & Rainey. These gentlemen were succeeded by A. J. Berry, Dr. John McPherson, John Woods, Thralkill & Co. For a year or more, in 1877 and 1878, the main or ground floor of the house was used for stores; in 1878, Joseph O'Pelt, who had become popular as lessee of the Union House, took charge. He thoroughly refitted the establishment, and changed the name to the Marsh House. Under his management, the hotel became the most popular in the State, and it was not unusual for from thirty to fifty commercial travelers to "stop over with Jo" from Saturdays till the following Monday.
In 1880, Mr. O'Pelt removed to Lincoln to take charge of the Arlington, leaving the Marsh House in the hands of W. W. Browning, under whose management it retains its well-earned popularity.
The Sherman House, south side Main, between First and Second streets, was intended for store-houses, but in 1861, C. M. Kauffman changed its arrangements, and opened it as the Sherman House. He continued the hotel business as long as he thought it profitable, and several years since ceased the hotel business. Mr. Kauffman still owns the property.
The Star Hotel was intended for stores, in fact was used for that purpose until 1867, when it was arranged for hotel purposes, named the Star, and leased by Stevenson & Cross, who remained proprietors until the summer of 1871, when George Daugherty became the landlord. Daugherty was succeeded by James Russell, who retained it until July, 1874. Since that time the house has been used as a dwelling house.
The Union House, originally the Reynolds House, was built in 1868 by J. N. Reynolds, who sold it to J. S. Church, the present owner. Its managers have been: Mr. Green, George Daugherty, Ben. Rogers, Joseph O'Pelt and Kennedy & Gates. The present lessee, J. G. Russell, has been in charge since May, 1880, and is making a financial success of its management. The house was named the "Union" by Joseph O'Pelt.
[FIRST NATIONAL BANK--JOHN L. CARSON, President.]
An act of Incorporation, approved January 18, 1856, authorized Clement Brown, J. S. Brown, B. B. Frazier, Volney Brown, Richard M. Waterman, and Richard Brown, their heirs and successors to establish and maintain in Brownville, a bank, with a capital stock of $50,000; further authorizing them to issue notes, bonds and other certificates of indebtedness. In July of the same year, S. H. Riddle, Henn, Williams & Co., and B. R. Pegram, of Council Bluffs, Iowa, became associates in the management , and contracts were at once entered into for the erection of a building, to be of brick, two stories in height, on the corner of Main and Second streets. This was completed during the succeeding fall. On the 10th of November, 1857, the institution commenced business with S. H. Riddle, President, and Alexander Hallam, Cashier.
On March 18, 1857, Samuel H. Riddle and B. R. Pegram disposed of their interest in the establishment to Jones & Parkelow, S. E. Rogers, F. Davidson and their associates, and in July following, it again changed hands, T. L. Mackoy assuming the Presidency. In September, 1857, payment was suspended on account of the panic in money matters throughout the country. In November, the bank again commenced to redeem its notes and bills, but upon the matter being brought before the District Court, it was decided that the charter had been violated, and J. L. Carson, O. B. Hewett and J. S. Minick were appointed trustees to wind up its affairs, giving penal bonds in the sum of $20,000.
Prior to this time, in June, 1857, Richard Brown and Alexander Hallam entered into a copartnership for the purpose of carrying on a general banking business. The institution seems to have had some connection with the Nemaha Valley Bank of issue, and to have closed its accounts at about the same time.
B. F. Lushbaugh and John L. Carson established a private banking house, under the firm name of Lushbaugh & Carson, January 14, 1857. In 1860, B. F. Lushbaugh withdrew, the business being continued by John L. Carson until August 28, 1871, when the First National Bank of Brownville was organized, succeeding the private institution, the officers in the new concern being John L. Carson, President; A. R. Davidson, Cashier; J. C. McNaughton, Assistant Cashier; William Frasier, B. M. Bailey, M. A. Handley, W. T. Den, F. E. Johnson, H. M. Atkinson and W. D. Shellenberger, constituting the Board of Directors.
In May, 1872, W. D. Shellenberger died at Covington, Ky., and at about the same time, H. M. Atkinson withdrew from the board.
In order to illustrate the wonderful commercial progress and development of this part of the State, a comparison may not be out of order. During the year 1857, the loans of Carson & Lushbaugh were $17,279.65; deposits, $20,207.40; paid out, $16,398.05; exchange, $9,035.05; total amount of business for the year, $62,920.15. The average loans of the First National Bank for the year 1881, were $195,000; average deposits. $244,440; exchange sold $945,237.
The "State Bank," Brownville, was organized under State law, October 1, 1870. It was an institution of exchange, discount and deposit. The first officers were D. Remick, President; Theodore Hill, Vice President; George P. Eaton, Cashier. A building was erected expressly for its accommodation, and occupied by it until 1880, when it closed its doors, paying its depositors in full.
In July, 1858, Brownville's business men were gratified to learn that the United States Express Company had extended their line from St. Joseph, Mo., to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and appointed John L. Carson, local agent for Brownville. It was soon found to be of incalculable benefit to business men and others in making and sending remittances. Mr. Carson resigned the agency in the spring of 1869, when J. F. Bear was appointed. During a portion of the years 1868-69, the Merchants' Union Express Company ran a vigorous opposition to the United States, with Theodore Hill as first Brownville agent, succeeded by T. W. Bedford. Within a few weeks, Bedford resigned and made way for J. K. Bear. The express war soon ceased and the Merchants' Union abandoned the field. Since the trains commenced running on the Midland Pacific Railroad, the station and ticket agents have also discharged the duties appertaining to the express agency. Mr. Charles E. Harris has acted as agent for the United States Express Company for the past two years.
The Brownville Cemetery Association was organized on the 7th of November, 1864, with the following list of charter members: L. Hoadley, John McPherson, A. S. Holladay, T. W. Bedford, Theodore Hill, W. H. Miller, G. W. Bratton, W. H. McCreery, E. W. Thomas. The name of "Walnut Grove" was given to the Cemetery, and two blocks embracing about five acres, was donated in the northwest portion of the city for the burial-place of the dead. The grounds have been improved, properly fenced, and are now in charge of Mr. James Johnson. Lots of two sizes are laid off, 12x24 feet and 24x24 feet, and are sold at moderate rates. Many of the lots are adorned with evergreens and roses, and quite a number of handsome monuments have been erected within "Walnut Grove."
Brownville Brewery.--This establishment was erected by Conrad Schreiner in 1866, on the northwest corner of Main and Seventh streets. He has ample cellars for storage, covered by frame buildings above ground. The brewery has a capacity for manufacturing 3,000 barrels of beer per annum. Mr. Schreiner disposes of his stock in Brownville, Nemaha City and in the surrounding country on both sides of the Missouri River.
The Brownville Marble Works were started in 1867, by Mr. Charles Neidhart. After commencing business, he made a trip to Europe, and entered a school of design at Frankfort-on-the-Main, to perfect himself in his profession. He made the first exhibition of marble work at the Nebraska State Fair, and was awarded the first premium. Since that time, he has received many premiums at State and county fairs. His business has steadily increased, and he now employs five men in Brownville and four at his Falls City branch, with two on the road. He makes large importations of Italian, Vermont and Tennessee marble, and his tombs and monuments are models of beauty.
Prior to the year 1860, the names of the following lawyers and physicians appear in the advertising columns of the Advertiser as practicing their professions in Brownville:
Lawyers.--D. L. McGary, O. B. Hewett, W. C. Johnson, J. D. N. Thompson, H. P. Buxton, S. Belden, R. L. Dodge, J. B. Weston, J. S. Bedford. None of these gentlemen is now practicing at the Brownville bar.
Physicians--A. S. Holladay (not only the first physician, but the first druggist, the first Mayor, second Postmaster, one of the earliest Christian ministers, a member of the Territorial Council, Assessor of Internal Revenue, Treasurer and Professor of Theory and Practice in the Medical Department of Brownville College, President of the Coal and Stone Coal Company of Brownville, etc., and now as vigorous as a young man); D. Gwin, William Arnold, E. M. McComas, J. L. McKee, John McPherson, E. D. Allen, L. M. Johnson. (Dr. Jonas Crane, a Virginian by birth, a graduate of Hampton-Sydney Medical College, of Richmond, Va., and the medical department of the State University of Pennsylvania, came to Brownville in 1865, and died June 4, 1881.) At the present time, the following-named medical practitioners reside in Brownville: A. S. Holladay, William Arnold, Charles Stewart, Edward Arnold.
Attorneys now practicing in Brownville: J. H. Broady, Oscar Cecil, J. S. Stull, W. T. Rogers, S. A. Osborn, Lee Hulburd, George Taylor and David Mercer.
This is the newest town in Nemaha, and named for John L. Carson, an honored citizen of Brownville. The new town is located near the geographical center of the county, at the crossing of the Burlington & Missouri River and the Missouri Pacific Railways. Situated on a level and commanding plateau of the beautiful Nemaha Valley, the proprietors claim that it has advantages possessed by no other in the interior. Those interested have agreed to expend all the proceeds of sales of lots in building elevators, hotels and other business houses, and thus aid in making the crossing the commercial center of the interior of Nemaha County. The proprietors pledge themselves that no lack of money or enterprise shall stand in the way of making Carson a prosperous, central business town, and invite the public to invest in this new and rising city. The following-named persons constitute the officers and Board of Directors of the town: John L. Carson, J. H. Broady, T. C. Hacker, A. L. Davison, J. W. Ford and F. E. Johnson. J. W. Ford was appointed Postmaster of Carson of the 16th of February, 1882. The time for the first public sale of lots has not yet been definitely fixed, but several parties stand ready to purchase and improve as soon as they can purchase grounds. The following notice explains the nature of the organization of the Carson Land Company.
The prinicipal place of transacting its business is at Carson, Nemaha Co., Neb.
The general nature of the business to be transacted is the purchase and sale of real estate, the laying-out and platting of towns and villages, making improvements and such other transactions as are auxiliary to the above general objects.
The amount of capital stock authorized is $30,000, of which $16,000 has been subscribed and paid up in full, and the balance shall be paid for as subscribed from time to time, as the corporation shall issue stock, and put same on the market, and at such times and on such conditions as shall by the corporation be prescribed.
The time of the commencement of the corporation is November 7, 1881, and the termination twenty years there-after.
The highest amount of indebtedness or liability to which the corporation is at any time to subject itself is $1,000.
The affairs of the corporation are to be conducted by John L. Carson, President, and A. R. Davison, Secretary.
This village, five miles west of Brownville, was so named by an Englishman named Robert Heap, in honor of the metropolis of his native country. The first settlement was made in July, 1856, the first comer being John Houman, soon followed by William Wilson, William Buchanan, Eli Lauker and Wyatt Nosler, all bringing families with them. The first child born in London was Mary Nosler, in March, 1857. James Cook and Louisa Snyder were married in June, 1857. The first death was in 1857 -- an infant child of William Buchanan. The first town officers were Robert Heap, James Cook, N. Minick, E. Lauker, J. Hauman, the town having incorporated under the general act by the District Court, at the April term, 1858, and the foregoing named persons appointed Trustees. The first schoolhouse was taught by Louisa Snyder, in a house now occupied as the post office, and owned by John Harding. The first school was erected in August, 1857, and accidentally destroyed by fire in 1861. The first sermon preached in the town was by Rev. J. Wells, of the United Brethren Church, in 1857, in a dwelling house owned by J. Wilson. The first church edifice (Protestant Methodist), was built on Block 40, in 1865. London Post Office was established in the fall of 1867, with Edmund Morey as first Postmaster, who also opened the first store on Block 37, in 1866. The town is situated on a slightly rolling prairie.
In 1867, Frederick Allen built an excellent water-mill, with three run of stones, in London Precinct, four and a half miles northwest of Nemaha City, and in 1881, sold out to Joseph Curtis. The same year it was leased, and is now operated by William Bryant. The first child born in the precinct was Samuel H. Culwell, in April, 1857. The Methodists organized a church society in 1856, and built a log church in 1857, to be used both for church and school purposes. There were six members in the original organization, and the first clergyman was Rev. J. T. Cannon. The present number of members is twenty. The present pastor of the church is Rev. J. W. Swan. The Christians also have on organization in the precinct, with a membership of sixty-five. Elder T. B. Edwards is preacher in charge. In 1867, the Christians built a house of worship. For a time there was warm skirmishing between the Methodists and Christians; but, for several years, harmony has prevailed, the clerical warriors have buried the hatchet.
Among the first houses erected in the town was one erected by Nosler. It was intended for a tavern, and the first school was taught there. The house is now owned by John Harding, who moved into London from Ohio in 1864. He was Postmaster in 1871, and still retains the office. Among the early settlers were Alexander and William McKinney, who by thrift and industry have secured elegant homes for themselves and families.
Soon after the first funeral in the village, a man whose name is unknown, was shot for claim-jumping. He died of his wounds the following day.
Nathaniel Minick was an early settler and always active in building up both town and precinct. Byrd Howell set out an apple orchard at an early day, prior to 1860, but, becoming discouraged, sold out to Mrs. Jane Loveless. The orchard now bears an abundance of fine fruit, although the man who planted it decided that Nebraska was no country for fruit. Amos Bacon moved into London in 1856. He is intelligent and industrious, and did yeoman's service in building up the village. Mr. Bacon was for a time Postmaster of London. His father, Charles Bacon, died on the 1st of March, at an advanced age.