Surface and Natural Products | Early Settlement | Events and Items|
War Record | County Organization | County Roster|
Court House and Jail | Railroads | Ferry and Transfer Companies|
Otoe County Fair Association | Otoe County Medical Society
The Old Settlers' Association | Assessments for Taxation
Nebraska City: Early Settlement | Selling Town Lots | A Judicial Joke|
An Incident of the Panic | An Era of Speculation
Nebraska City (cont.): Transportation and Telegraphs | Incorporation|
Official Roster | Criminal | Education
Nebraska City (cont.): Religion|
Nebraska City (cont.): The Press | Government Offices|
Fire Department | Fires | Societies | Wyuka Cemetery
Nebraska City (cont.): Public Buildings | Hotels | Banks|
Board of Trade | Elevators | Nebraska City Gaslight Company
9 - 14:
** Nebraska City Biographical Sketches **|
| ADLE~DILLON | DRAKE~KEES | KINNEY | KOHN~NEILSON |
| NORTHCUTT~SCHMITZ | SEYMOUR~ZIMMERS |
Syracuse: Education | Religion | Societies | Railroad Interests|
The Press | Biographical Sketches
Syracuse (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Palmyra: Education | Societies | Religion | Business|
Dunbar: Events and Items | Education | Religion | Societies|
Railroad Interests | Delaware Precinct (biographical sketches)
Unadilla: Religion | Societies | The Press | Events and Items|
Wyoming | Camp Creek | Other Towns|
Biographical Sketches: North Branch Precinct | Hendricks Precinct
Osage Precinct | McWilliams Precinct | Berlin Precinct | Minersville
List of Illustrations in Otoe County Chapter
The present town of Syracuse is the legitimate outgrowth of Nursery Hill, an old halting place of the overland trains which formed a constant procession from Nebraska City to Colorado, until the old trail was usurped by the parallel lines of iron fast stretching across the continent. At Nursery Hill there were two stores kept by Ireland and Abbott, a ranch and stage horsing stable owned by V. C. Utley, and a grist mill now run by Hoebel, Mohrman & Co. When the Midland Pacific passed through Syracuse and established a station there in 1871, the two stores were removed from Nursery Hill to the railroad town, the entire stock being located in the building moved at the same time from Nursery Hill.
The town was laid out by Converse and Thorn, and Mr. L. E. Sinsabaugh, now a merchant of the place assisted in driving the stakes. The first dwelling was put up by L. E. Sinsabaugh, in 1871, and the same gentleman started the Pioneer Lumber Yard in that year, the second house was built by Dr. Colberg, and the third building was a saloon. Shortly after this time C. B. Linderman put up what is now the Western Hotel, and from this time the town grew as no town save a western frontier one can. Houses sprang up by the score and stores of all trades multiplied.
The first board of town trustees was appointed in 1874, by the County Commissioners, and enrolled L. E. Sinsabaugh, V. C. Utley, J. E. Case, W. B. Stone and H. H. Jasperson. I. LeDoyt was Town Clerk and S. C. Case Police Judge. In 1875, an election of officers took place and the same men were retained. The present officers are: Danverse Neff, President; J. H. Arends, Gip DeLong, E. S. Chamberlain and H. H. Jasperson, Trustees; Frank E. Brown, Town Clerk.
The first Benedict was C. W. Ireland, who married Miss Belle Skinkle, and of whom it is related that he sat all night in the church then building in order to insure its completion in time for his nuptials.
The first child who saw the light in the young town was William Sinsabaugh, a son of L. E. Sinsabaugh, born in December, 1871.
The first school (numbering about fifty) was taught by Miss Amelia Andrews, in 1872. The large school building on the flat at the south of the town was erected in 1875, and cost $4,000. It is one of the best buildings of its class and date in Nebraska, and served for several years for all departments of the public school. In 1880, it was found necessary to enlarge the facilities of public instruction, and a building costing $2,000 was placed upon the hill which overlooks the town. There are now three departments; two in the new and one in the old building. William O. Roach is principal of the school, Miss Anna L. Parry, teacher of the intermediate division and Miss Carrie Lisk of the primary. The present enrollment is about two hundred, of which seventy-five belong to the primary and the remainder to the higher department.
The Congregational Church is pretty closely identified with the early history of the town. It was formally organized September 10, 1871, although for some time prior to this date, there had been services at a schoolhouse, nearly a mile south of Nursery Hill, and two miles or more from the present town. On its removal to town, services were held in Norris Dennis' store for about six months, when it was decided to build a church, and a building committee consisting of W. C. Dudley, J. Q. Burleigh, J. H. McKee, M. G. Castleton and the pastor, Rev. George Davis, was appointed. Subscriptions to the amount of $1,350 were taken, and the work of building begun at once, and pushed rapidly to completion. On February 16, 1873, Rev. George Davis resigned the pastorate, and was succeeded by Rev. James Hall. In October of the same year, the church roll showed eighteen members, an attendance of forty at Sabbath school exercises, and of fifty at preaching services. In December, 1874, the name of the church was changed from "Nursery Hill" to "First Congregational Church of Syracuse." In August, 1875, Rev. James Hall, who had filled the pastoral office since 1873, resigned, and was succeeded by Rev. C. G. Bisbee, who vacated the position in March, 1876. In July, 1877, Rev. G. M. F. Chessington took charge of the church, yielding the work to Rev. H. S. Thompson, who was followed early in 1880, by Rev. Thomas Brown. Mr. Brown's term of work was a brief one, and expired before 1881, when the present pastor, Rev. M. F. Platt, was called by the society. The church has passed through the vicissitudes incidental to all such organizations in frontier towns, and now has a good church, costing $1,200; a membership of twenty-five; a solvent Sabbath school of forty members, under the superintendence of F. M. Specht, and holds an honorable position in the town and county, excelled by few so young churches.
The Baptists have no regular society organization, and no house of worship. Services are occasionally held in the Congregational Church, by Rev. H. T. Vose.
The Methodist Episcopal.--The corner stone of the Methodist Church was laid in October, 1878, and the work of building completed in April, 1879, with the exception of some details of outside work, which have been added in 1882. The cost of the structure has been a trifle in excess of $1,600. Just west of the church stands a neat cottage, erected at a cost of $500, and used as a parsonage. The first pastor of the society was Rev. C. A. Lewis, who held the office nearly three years. He was followed by Rev. T. H. Worley, who remained two years, and was succeeded by Rev. A. L. Folden, the present pastor. The present membership is about 100. The Sabbath school of the church is older than the main body, having been held in the old schoolhouse for several years prior to the dedication of the church building. Its present membership is about fifty, under the charge of W. S. Roach.
The First Evangelical Lutheran Church of Syracuse, was organized in October, 1880, although the pastor, Rev. C. Nauman, had been at work with the members of the society for nearly a month previous. The original members were H. Larsen, H. Brinkman, D. Maseman, W. Domann and J. H. Arends. In July, 1881, the work of erecting a church edifice was inaugurated and pushed so rapidly that it was completed in October of the same year, the dedication services taking place October 23. This structure cost the society $2,000. Just north of the church stands a pleasant and roomy parsonage. the property of J. H. Arends and H. Larsen, which cost $1,500. It is proposed to bring this into the actual ownership of the society at an early day, although its present owners allow its use, without charge. The Sabbath school was established in 1880, and is under the superintendence of the pastor. It has an average attendance of twenty-three. The church society proper, now has a membership of twenty-eight, and an average attendance of seventy-five. Owing to the system of counting only those who are heads of families, the number of members given is smaller than that which really appears on the church books, the total of professing Christians of this form of faith being between seventy-five and 100.
The Evangelical (German) Church was established in 1880, by Rev. J. R. Reugg. A church costing $1,200 was built in 1881, and a Sabbath school begun in January, 1882. The church numbers seventeen, and the Sabbath school about twelve. The first pastor still has charge of the church, and Rev. Mr. Acken of the school.
Mt. Moriah Lodge, A., F. & A. M. No. 57, received its charter on June 24, 1875. The charter members being J. M. Parry, J. H. Young, Josiah Rogers, W. Heather, J. W. Eaton, Delos Martin, David Pound, Lucius Renne, A. Cook, V. C. Utley, H. T. Price, I. LeDoyt, M. Dennis, W. S. Whitten, L. E. Sinsabaugh, A. Armstrong and C. B. Page. The original officers of the society were: J. M. Parry, W. M.; J. W. Eaton, S. W.; D. Martin, J. W.; J. Young, S. D.; D. Martin, J. D.; V. C. Utley, Treas.; I. LeDoyt. Sec.; H. F. Price, T. The present officers of the lodge are: George McKee, W. M.; Gaylord Thorp, S. W.; J. Webber, J. W.; Josiah Rogers, Treas.; W. E. Page, Sec.; J. K. Griffith, S. D.; B. H. Colberg, J. D.; F. E. Brown, T. Its regular meetings occur Thursday evenings, on or before the full moon.
Otoe Lodge 51, I. O. O. F., was chartered in 1873, with five members: J. M. Parry, A. Wait, J. I. Crockett, L. A. Brandhofer and C. C. Webber. The present officers are: G. A. Morris, Secretary; D. T. Cornell, N. G.; J. H. Green, V. G.; J. K. Griffith, Treasurer. The society numbers thirty-one members, and is in a flourishing condition, having a reserve fund of about $600 invested and drawing interest.
Syracuse No. 95, I. O. G. T., was chartered in July, 1873, with twenty-three members. Its original officers were: I. LeDoyt, W. C. T.; Mrs. C. W. Ireland, W. V. T.; C. E. Hail, W. S.; Morris Dennis, treasurer. The society now has sixty-one members in good standing. Its present officers are: William Stanbro, W. C. T.; Miss Ella Gray, W. V. T.; W. E. Page, Secretary; Mrs. Mary A. Edwards, Treasurer. Meetings are held every Monday evening.
Wadsworth Post, G. A. R., No. 21, department of Nebraska, was organized July 19, 1879, with eighteen members. Its first officers were: F. E. Brown, C.; J. M. Parry, S. V. C.; B. H. Shoemaker, J. V. C.; J. F. Deiner, O. D.; James Hair, Chaplain; A. B. Barney, Surgeon; Thomas A. Creigh, Adjutant; A. A. Russell, Q. M.; William Powell, O. G. The present officers are :J. F. Deiner, C.; B. H. Shoemaker, S. V. C.; H. N. Rose, J. V. C.; W. C. Anderson, Chaplain; William Powell, Adjutant; S. K. Woods, O. D.; F. E. Brown, Q. M.; George Beasley, O. G. The Grand Army has always turned out in force to decorate the graves of their fallen comrades on Decoration Day, and has also held an annual camp-fire which has been very successful. Mr. F. E. Brown, formerly Commander of the Post has held the office of S. V. of the State organization, and is a member of the National Council. The present membership of the society is about twenty-five. Meetings are held on the first and third Saturday of each month at Parry's hall.
Knights of Honor, Syracuse, 1,525, were organized April 4, 1879, with the following charter members: A. P. Grout, N. A. Duff, W. C. Slosson, A. Van Cleave, G. H. Littlefield, H. M. Hurd, George W, McKee, J. E. Kehler, W. H. Gordon, M. Dennis, J. H. Shanahan, J. H. Arends, G. H. Thorpe, W. W. Lowe, A. Lockart, H. N. Carpenter, A. Howell, D. Neff, Frank A. Woods, W. W. Barney, John M. Parry. The lodge now has seventy-three members and a fine hall, fitted up at an expense of about $600, where meetings are held the first and third Wednesday of each month. The present officers are: H. N. Carpenter, P. D.; W. W. Lowe, D.; A. Wait, V. D.; T. C. Utley, A. D.; A. P. Grout, R.; A. Greenlund, F. R.; D. Neff, T.; E. S. Chamberlain, C.; G. De Long, Guardian; G. A. Noyes, Guide; R. Strain, S.; G. H. Littlefield, Medical Examiner.
Damon Lodge, Knights of Pythias, was organized March 3, 1881, with the following charter members: J. W. Conger, G. N. Davenport, W. S. Christie, I. P. Conger, J. S. McElhaney, A. P. Grout, W. E. Cook, Thomas Jones, D. Braddock, W. Dorman, J. C. Campbell, C. D. Waldo, J. T. Farnsworth, C. W. Hayes, William Ryder, T. Ramsdell. The present membership of the organization is twenty-six. The officers of the lodge are as follows: W. S. Christie, P.C.; A. P. Grout, C. C.; I. P. Conger, V. C.; E. Parsons, P.; C. W. Hays, K. R. & S.; T. E. Farnsworth, M. F.; James McElhaney, M. E.; W. E. Cook, M. A.; J. M. Farnsworth, I. G.; John Snyder, O. G. The lodge meets the first and third Saturday of each month at Masonic hall.
The Equitable Aid Mutual Union, was organized February 25, 1881, with twenty-three members. The object of this society is very aptly stated in its name ; the financial assistance of sick or disabled members and the payment of certain sums to the families of those deceased. No funds are held in reserve but all claims met by collection pro rata from the members. The officers of the society are William Powell, president ; John Deiner, chancellor; Albert Joyce, secretary; George C. Utley; D. Neff. treasurer; Mrs. V. C. Utley, V. P. The membership is now twenty-six.
Syracuse is, as has already been said, a child of the old Midland Pacific Railway. Its facilities for shipments east or west are embraced in this line, now a part of the Burlington & Missouri River Railway system. From the first the road has carried large amounts of produce eastward twenty-two miles to Nebraska City and westward thirty-four to Lincoln. The shipments of the year 1881 are about as follows: Wheat, about fifty-four cars; rye, eleven cars ; barley, thirty-four cars corn, three hundred and twenty-three cars; cattle, ninety-four cars; swine, one hundred and thirty cars. Total, six hundred and forty-six loaded cars. When it is remembered that 1881 was a comparatively poor year in Nebraska, the status of the town as a shipping point is readily seen.
At various points within five miles of Syracuse are valuable stone quarries of almost unlimited capacity. The stone, a light gray in color, was used very extensively in building the penitentiary at Lincoln and also that at Council Bluffs, Iowa. Although large quantities of stone have already been shipped from this point and more is constantly being quarried, but few of the measures have been effectively developed. The future of this business is but little thought of, yet ere five years have elapsed it may well become the leading industry of the town.
Syracuse has been chiefly built up by the natural growth of the surrounding country and the increase in the tide of trade, and has depended little on manufacturing industries. At the present time there is a carriage factory, situated in the eastern part of the town, owned and operated by Mr. H. A. Barnes. The building was erected in March, 1880, at a cost of about two thousand five hundred dollars, and put in operation the following month. This establishment has a capacity for turning out $3,000 to $4,000 worth of work annually, and furnishes occupation to eight workmen.
There are two elevators located at this point, the first erected being that of Tomlin, Duff & Co., of Nebraska City, built in 1878 at a cost of $2,500. This elevator handled in 1881 over 200,000 bushels of grain of various sorts. The elevator of McKee & Lowe was opened in 1881, part of their old warehouse being utilized in the new structure, which is now valued at $2,500. Its capacity is 10,000 bushels of grain. Last year (1881) this firm handled 50,000 bushels of corn, 15,000 bushels of wheat, 12,000 bushels of barley and about 3,000 bushels of rye, making a total of about 80,000 bushels. In the same time this firm shipped about fifty cars of swine and sixteen cars of cattle.
The Nebraska City Elevator Company also have a warehouse, valued at $1,000, at this place.
The first paper in the town was the Syracuse Reporter, established by one Rathbun in 1876, and was published for a year, when it failed for lack of support. The Syracuse Journal was established, January 25, 1878, by Albert Joyce, as a five-column quarto. The paper was soon enlarged to a six-column paper, and finally to a seven-column folio, in which form it is now published. The paper now circulates about seven hundred copies.
Syracuse has three lawyers, of whom Mr. A. P. Grout who commenced practice in 1878, was the first, being followed the same year by the other two members of the profession.
The town has at present two hotels, what is now known as the Western House being one of the first buildings in the town; three physicians, of whom Dr. Colberg, locating in 1872, was the first; four blacksmith shops, seven general stores, two hardware stores, one livery stable, and many other buildings used for traffic in various lines. The present population of the place is nearly eight hundred, and with its rapid growth the close of 1882 should show more than that figure.
JESSE W. ANDERSON, farmer, Syracuse P. O., was born in Lafayette County, Wis., October 21, 1847. He remained there until 1878, engaged in farming. Enlisted in Company H, Fiftieth Wisconsin Regiment Infantry, February 20, 1865, and was discharged June 27, 1866. Was on the frontier eight years, and was married November 20 1867, to Miss Anna C. McConnell, of Lafayette County, Wis. They have eight children.
MELVILLE ARMSTRONG, proprietor National Hotel, Syracuse, situated on corner Fourth and Mohawk streets. Erected by Frank Hartman, deceased, about 1874; has had several proprietors since that time. Mr. Armstrong took possession in 1877. Being the only first-class house in town, and near the railroad, he gets the most of the transient trade, and has a good livery in connection. Mr. Armstrong was born in Ohio, in 1849, and remained there until 1864, when he and his parents came West and settled for a short time in Nebraska City and engaged in farming in the county. In 1877 gave up farming, and with his father bought the National and engaged in business as mentioned above. He married Mrs. Roberts, in 1878. They have one child. aged three years.
THOMAS H. ASHTON, retired farmer, P. O. Syracuse, was born in Essex County. N. J., November 30, 1797, where he remained only one year, then moved with his parents to Fayette County, Pa., and remained there with his parents until 1807, when they moved to Washington County, Ohio, and remained there four years, and then to Clermont County, Ohio, in 1811, where he remained until 1854; then to Defiance County, and remained there until 1870, following general farm work. He has cleared over 300 acres of land that was well timbered, and is now a hale, hearty old man, owing to strict temperance and good habits. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Cramer, on the 31st day of December, 1818. Miss Cramer was born in Monmouth County, N. J., and came to Ohio and settled in Brown County in 1816. Mrs. Ashton joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1833, and was a consistent member until death overtook her, October 16,1876, aged seventy-five years, four months and ten days. Mr. A. joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1819, and has always led a Christian life. He was the second son of Samuel Ashton, who was of Irish extraction. He has four children: Rachel, born September 18, 1825; Benjamin D., September 15, 1828; William W., June 23, 1834; Elizabeth F., February 16, 1838.
C. A. BARNES, P. O. Syracuse, formerly of Barnes Bros., manufacturers of carriages wagons and buggies. Was born at the town of Orwell, Ashtabula County, Ohio, September 25, 1851, and remained there until 1863, and where he got a common school education. From there to Dunn County, Wis., where he remained and learned his trade--that of a blacksmith. But part of his time he spent in Winona, Minn. From there to Nebraska City and worked at his trade for three years, then in 1877 he came to Syracuse and entered into business with his brother. He was married at EauClaire, Wis., November 22, 1875, to Miss Alice Martin, who was born in EauClaire, Wis., March 4, 1869.
BARNES & SLOSSON, manufacturers of wagons, buggies and carriages; general repairing a specialty. Business established March 15, 1880, under the name and style of Barnes Bros., until June of the same year, when C. A. Barnes retired from the business, and it was carried on by H. A. Barnes until March 1, 1882, when Mr. T. D. Slosson entered into the partnership, and now the business is carried on under the above name. Mr. H. A. Barnes was born in Orwell Town, Ashtabula County, Ohio, October 5 1848, and remained until 1863 and received a common schooling. From there to Peru, Dunn Co., Wis., where he remained off and on eight years, having been part of the time at Winona, Minn., where he learned his trade; then to Nebraska City, and worked at his trade for three years, and in 1877 came to Syracuse and engaged in business, and is now permanently established. Was married in Nebraska City, June 19, 1879, to Ellen Pace. of Jefferson City, Mo. Born in 1861.
F. E. BROWN, Syracuse, attorney at law and notary public, was born in Livingston County, N. Y. Came here in 1878, being the first attorney here. Through perseverance he commands a large practice.
I. F. BROWNELL, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Syracuse, was born in Morrow County, Ohio, July 23, 1842, and in 1857 removed to Nebraska with his parents and settled on Section 23, Otoe County. He has been school treasurer for four years. He was married in 1868, to Anna M. Retherford, of Tuscarawas County, Ohio. They have five children. Mr. B. has crossed the Sandy Desert twelve times.
SOLOMON D. BROWNELL, farmer, Syracuse P. O., was born in town of Fisco, Dutchess Co., N. Y., February 25, 1807, where he learned the blacksmithing trade, and in 1828 started to New York City to make his fortune, and remained there five years; and from there to Putnam County, and started business on his own hook at the county-seat for four years. From there to Knox County, Ohio, and bought a farm of 160 acres, and carried on his trade in connection; but not being satisfied, sold his farm and business, and bought in Delaware County; and in 1856 came to Otoe County and took 240 acres, Section 23, Township 8, Range 11. When in Cincinnati, before coming to Nebraska, he thought it would be wise to lay in a good stock of medicines which might be needed in a new country, and found it to be a wise act, there being no physician in this part of the county. He was called upon, and of course he began to read up and practice, and was very successful--he being a man of natural ability, he has gained a practice far and near. He also built a sawmill, the first one in this part of the State, and cut the necessary lumber and built all the bridges within a radius of twenty miles and never charged a cent for his labor. He was married to Miss Susan Brieckerhoff, of Ohio, February 25, 1831. They have seven children.
FREDERICK BRAINERD, farmer, P. O. Syracuse, Section 3, 320 acres. Born July 25, 1857, and came to Nebraska with his mother in 1870 and settled on Section 3, Township 8, Range 11, eighty acres, but have increased to 320 acres. His mother is the relic of the late Gerden Brainerd, who was born in Monroe County, N. Y., August 30, 1822, and settled in Michigan in an early day, and was married in Michigan in 1854. Frederick is an honest, industrious, sober young man and moderate politician.
WILLIAM B. BUXTON, farmer and nurseryman, successor to W. B. Stone; Section 3, P. O. Syracuse. Was born in Rhode Island, December 4, 1825. Learned carriage painting in Springfield, Mass., in 1850, and worked at his trade in different parts, but for a long time was engaged in the Milford Manufacturing Shops at Millford until 1857; then settled in Champaign County, Ill., and took a farm of eighty acres, and remained there until 1882, when he bought 120 acres, the estate of W. B. Stone, on Section 3, Township 8, Range 11. He was married in Rhode Island, in 1850, to Miss Mary L Gooding. They have two children, Lyman L., born October 22, 1855, who is a promising young man, and takes an active interest in the business that they now carry on. They have one of the most flourishing nurseries in the State, and are very attentive to all orders entrusted to them. All orders will be filled and promptly attended to. They have one daughter, Abby G., born May 5, 1870.
H. N. CARPENTER, dealer in lumber, lath, shingles, doors, blinds, windows, coal, lime, cement, etc. Business was established about 1874 by L E. Sinsabaugh, and managed by him until March, 1878, when Mr. Carpenter bought the stock and trade and increased the stock. He now carries a stock of about $8,000. Mr. C. was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., in 1832, where he received a good common school education. Removed to Wisconsin in 1852, and engaged in farming until 1866, when he embarked in the lumber and grain trade in the village of Darlington, Lafayette Co., Wis., until 1878. He was married to Miss S. E. White, of Lafayette County, in October, 1862. They have four sons and two daughters.
J. W. CAYWOOD, dealer in agricultural implements, wagons, buggies. etc., Syracuse. Born in Clinton County, Mich., in 1851, and moved to Hancock County Ill., in 1860 with his parents, where he received a common school education, and came to Nebraska, September, 1878, and engaged in farming for two years, and in 1880 engaged in dealing in farm implements. Through industry and perseverance he has established a good trade.
M. S. CHRISTIE, Syracuse, dealer and maker of heavy and light harness, saddles and horse clothing. Established May, 1872, when, owing to dull times, he sold to Page & Brandhover in 1874, and in 1879 started again, and now carries a full stock of all kinds of furnishings and readymade stock in his line.
E. Y. CORNELL, farmer, P. O. Syracuse, on Section 1. Born in Catskill, N. Y., July 23, 1830, and moved from there with his father to Catskill Mountains, and remained there four years; then to Durham, Greene County, for two years; then to Sherwood, Branch Co., Mich., and remained five years; from there to Bedford, Calhoun County, and remained seventeen years, and in 1860 emigrated to Nebraska, then a Territory, and settled on school land eight miles west of Nebraska City for two years. In 1862 bought and settled on southwest 114, Section 1, Town 8, Range 11, and has lived there since in a quiet and peaceable manner. Was married to Miss Frances H. Talbot, August 24, 1856, and has three children, Dalton T,, of the firm of Dey & Cornell, lumber dealers, Syracuse, and two daughters, Carrie L, now the wife of A. C. Reeve, and Nellie, who is yet single and at home.
W. E. COOK, dealer in windmills and pumps, Syracuse. Has extensive agency for Croft's Patent Windmill, manufactured at Springfield, Ohio, also the Aldrich, manufactured at Keokuk, Iowa. All orders intrusted to Mr. Cook will be promptly filled. He was born in Hancock County, Ill., in 1846, where he got a common school education. In 1861 he enlisted in Company B. Thirty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Fourth Division Seventeenth Army Corps of the Tennessee. Was discharged in September, 1865, when he went back to Illinois, and was married to Miss Maggie A. Staples, of Hancock County, Ill., in 1866. From there went to Johnson County, Mo., and remained there until 1877; was engaged in mercantile business; then to his native county until 1879, when he engaged in dealing in windmills and pumps.
A. L. DAVIS, dealer in stock and agricultural implements, of the firm of Slosson & Davis. Born in Trumbull County, Ohio, September 26, 1837, where he got a common school education. Left Ohio in November, 1856, came to Nebraska in December same year and engaged in farming near Nebraska City, for four years, then he engaged in freighting between Nebraska City and Denver until 1878, when he settled in Syracuse and engaged in the present business. Was married to Miss Media Phelps, in 1880, they have one child.
GIPSON DeLONG, livery, feed and sale stables, Syracuse, situated on Locust street. Keeps fourteen horses and rigs, terms moderate. He was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, March 4, 1835, where he got a limited education, went from there to Will County, Ill., in 1856, and remained until 1866, when he came to Syracuse. He enlisted in August, 1861, in Company K, Third Illinois Cavalry, for the army west of the Mississippi, and was discharged February, 1865. Was married to Miss Marian Page of Somerset County, Me., who was born May 23, 1843, and came to Illinois, in 1860, has two sons and three daughters.
DEY & CORNELL, P. O. Syracuse, dealers in lumber, lath, shingles, doors, sash, lime, cement, plaster, coal, paint, brushes, etc. Business established in May 1879. Mr. E. G. Dey was born in Parma, Jackson Co., Mich., July 9, 1844, remained there until April, 1863, then came to Otoe County, and engaged in farming until the spring of 1869, when he went to Lawrence, Kansas, where he engaged in building for three years. Then moved to Jefferson County, Kan., and engaged in farming for five and a half years. Then went to Concordia and engaged in the lumber business for eighteen months, then to Syracuse and established the above business. He married Miss Sarah J. Talbot, of Michigan, July 25, 1863. They have one child, Mr. D. is a prominent member of the K. of H.
JOHN F. DIENER, dealer in books, stationery, fancy goods, cigars, tobacco, etc., wall paper in great varieties. Established by Mr. Johnston, in 1877, and succeeded by Mr. Dennis, until November, 1881, when Mr. Diener bought the stock and business. Mr. D. was born in Pennsylvania, and came here in 1877, and was engaged in farming until 1881, when he entered in the stationery business. He was married to Miss Louisa E. Landmesser of Luzerne County, Pa., December 25, 1875. He enlisted in January, 1864, in Company F, Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry. Was wounded at Dallas, near Atlanta, Ga., on the 27th of May, 1864, was taken to Atlanta, kept two months, taken to Andersonville, and was there paroled for four months, went home, stayed three mouths and returned to the army and served till the close of the war.
WILLIAM DUNN, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Syracuse. Was born in Lancashire, England, January 11, 1842, emigrated to the United States, in 1854, and settled in Utah, and remained there four years. Then to Nebraska City, and remained there engaged in overland freighting and jewelry until 1868, then he settled on a homestead, on Section 10, Township 8, Range 11, having 160 acres, all of which is under cultivation. He was married in April, 1866, to Miss Sarah M. Warner of Otoe County. They have four children, all daughters. Mr. D. is a staunch Republican. Was connected with the Smithsonian Institute for nine years, as meteorological correspondent, and is secretary of Otoe County Agricultural Association.
PETER FERGUSON, farmer, P. O. Syracuse, was born in Boone County, Ind., December 8, 1840, and remained at home until the age of eighteen, when he worked out by the month for two years. He was married in 1861, to Miss Eliza Ann Biseley of Montgomery County,. where he bought a small farm and started on his own hook. Removed to Otoe County, where he remained for a short time; then went back to Douglas County and engaged in farming for one year. Then returned to Otoe County and took a homestead of 160 acres, on Section 28, Township 8, Range 11, and as he came to this State comparatively poor, he rented a farm and built a small house for which he had to haul lumber from Iowa. He has now one of the finest improved farms in the county. Mr. F. bought and run the first threshing machine ever taken west of Lincoln.