Surface and Natural Products | Early Settlement | Events and Items|
War Record | County Organization | County Roster|
Court House and Jail | Railroads | Ferry and Transfer Companies|
Otoe County Fair Association | Otoe County Medical Society
The Old Settlers' Association | Assessments for Taxation
Nebraska City: Early Settlement | Selling Town Lots | A Judicial Joke|
An Incident of the Panic | An Era of Speculation
Nebraska City (cont.): Transportation and Telegraphs | Incorporation|
Official Roster | Criminal | Education
Nebraska City (cont.): Religion|
Nebraska City (cont.): The Press | Government Offices|
Fire Department | Fires | Societies | Wyuka Cemetery
Nebraska City (cont.): Public Buildings | Hotels | Banks|
Board of Trade | Elevators | Nebraska City Gaslight Company
9 - 14:
** Nebraska City Biographical Sketches **|
| ADLE~DILLON | DRAKE~KEES | KINNEY | KOHN~NEILSON |
| NORTHCUTT~SCHMITZ | SEYMOUR~ZIMMERS |
Syracuse: Education | Religion | Societies | Railroad Interests|
The Press | Biographical Sketches
Syracuse (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Palmyra: Education | Societies | Religion | Business|
Dunbar: Events and Items | Education | Religion | Societies|
Railroad Interests | Delaware Precinct (biographical sketches)
Unadilla: Religion | Societies | The Press | Events and Items|
Wyoming | Camp Creek | Other Towns|
Biographical Sketches: North Branch Precinct | Hendricks Precinct
Osage Precinct | McWilliams Precinct | Berlin Precinct | Minersville
List of Illustrations in Otoe County Chapter
Unadilla is located on the Nebraska railway branch of the Burlington and Missouri River Railway, twenty-nine miles west of Nebraska City. The town rises to the north of the railway station and gives a splendid outlook over the bottom lands of the Little Nemaha, winding along the southern town line. The town was laid out on the land of Mrs. Axtel, of Fairbury, though nothing was done toward building until 1872, when Mr. W. Saunders put up a house. This was a dwelling house and the same now occupied by him. After erecting this house, Mr. Saunders started business in a box car, in default of a store room of any sort, and the same year engaged in the grain business on an equally primitive footing. In the spring of the same year Mr. T. W. Walls erected a building and used it as a general store, and a little later Mr. J. F. Abbott came from Nursery Hill and went into the same business, also using his building for post office business. A blacksmith shop was built in 1873 by Mr. Homer Morgan. In 1874, Mr. W. Saunders, the oldest resident, built a grain warehouse, twenty-four by thirty-six feet on the ground floor, and one and one-half stories high. This building was used by Mr. Saunders for the storage of a few years' crops and then sold for use as an agricultural implement depository, in which use it still remains. In the fall of 1874 the citizens of the town built a stock yard and donated it to the Burlington and Missouri River Railway, in order to facilitate the stock shipments at this point. In this year an iron bridge of one hundred and thirty feet span was placed across the Little Nemaha for the convenience of those living south of the river, for whom Unadilla furnished the most fitting market. The bridging of the river at this point was only effected after a bitter fight between the town and Paisley, a little place about one mile west of Unadilla, and at that time a place of great expectations. Paisley has never succeeded in gaining a right to be called a town, and is now simply a star post office. For about two years Unadilla had no depot, but at that time the citizens built a depot at a cost of $500, and presented it to the railway company. There had been large shipments of stone from this point in 1872-3, but only a switch line to the quarries had been in operation.
In 1875 Mr. Saunders erected a flouring and feed mill on the Little Nemaha River, about half a mile south of the railway depot. This mill has three run of buhr-stones and uses about two hundred bushels of grain daily. It is furnished with power by the water of the river, utilized by a twenty-three inch turbine wheel under fifteen foot head. The structure with its machinery was put in place at a cost of $12,000.
The first Sabbath school was organized in June, 1872, by J. V. Johnson, in a schoolhouse two miles south of the town, and sustained until removed some years afterward, where it formed the nucleus of the schools of the different churches. In 1873 the present schoolhouse was built at a cost of $1,100. This was used for school, church and court house purposes until 1879, and furnished the only public hall in the town. The present attendance of scholars is fifty, under the charge of H. W. Worley and Miss O. Swisher. The first drug store was opened in 1878 by Dr. W. B. Swisher, and in 1880 Mr. A. L. Ross commenced business on the opposite side of the street. Both are still in the same business and occupy the original buildings.
The first services of the United Brethren were held in the store of John Abbott, in 1873, and the first organization made in that year, under the charge of Rev. J. V. Johnson. Their church was erected in 1881 and dedicated in January, 1882. The building cost $1,700, and has a seating capacity of 500. O. D. Cone is the present pastor. The Christian Church building was erected in 1879, at a cost of $1,500, and has a seating capacity of 500. J. V. Johnson was its first pastor, and still holds the office.
An order of Good Templars was established in 1874, with Mr. William Saunders as Worthy Chief Templar. The order has been a prosperous one, and now has a strong hold on the citizens of the town. The present officers of the order are as follows: W. Saunders, W. C. T.; Mrs. E. Pegler, W. V. T.; W. Reed, Chap.; J. Horton, Sec.; George Comley, L. D.; Mrs. M. J. Porter, T.; J. M. Saunders, F;. S.; W. Dunn, Marshal.
The Building and Loan Association was established in 1879, for the purpose indicated by its title. Its officers are W. Grosbeck, Pres.; M. L. Joyce, Sec.; S. W. Mohler, Treas.
The Equitable Aid Union was organized in June, 1881, and has the following officers: C. M. Simpson, Pres.; S. M. Brion, V.-Pres.; W. Dunn, Aux.; W. D. Grosbeck, C.; C. M. Davis, Advocate; H, F. Rema, T.; I. F. Abbott, Accountant; J. Odjers, Sec.
The Mutual Aid Association was organized as a branch of the Iowa Society in January, 1882, and has nine members. Its officers are: W. D. Grosbeck, Pres.; David Brion, V.-Pres.; Eli Stoner, Sec.; W. B. Swisher, medical examiner.
The Unadilla Literary Association was organized in August, 1881, and adjourned sine die in February, 1882.
The Unadilla Cornet Band was started on December 11, 1879, with S. G. Showalter as leader. The band has eleven members, and has done a large amount of service in surrounding towns as well as at home.
The first copy of the Otoe County Graphic was issued July 29, 1881, by Fletcher & Keithley, as a seven column quarto. In November of the same year, Fletcher sold his interest to W. A. Keithley, who now publishes it. In February, 1882, the regular edition was 500 copies, and a steady growth seemed assured.
The McAleer elevator was built in 1880, at a cost of $3,000. It is owned by J. S. McAleer, and has a capacity of 11,000 bushels. During 1881, this elevator handled about 90,000 bushels of grain, and held in cribs, about 30,000 bushels of corn, the property of the firm.
The elevator of Tomlin, Duff & Co., of Nebraska City, was erected at a cost of $2,500, in 1881, and handled the same year, in connection with the main elevator at Nebraska City, about 175,000 bushels of grain.
The town has two hotels, the Union and Revere; three general stores, two hardware and one furniture store, two blacksmith shops, one millinery store and one jewelry store.
During the year 1881, there were shipped from this station, 361 cars of grain and stock. Near this town is a large stock of blooded cattle and horses, and stock breeding is pursued more extensively than in any other part of the county.
The present population of the town is about 300.
DAVID BRION, hotel keeper, proprietor of Union Hotel, Unadilla; built by C. B. Todd in 1878, and occupied by him about six months, and succeeded by Mr. Showalter, then B. F. Stone rented the place for a short time, then Mr. Brion leased the house on December 15, 1881, for a term of years. This being the only hotel in town, it was necessary to have the house put in repair to meet the demands of the traveling public, which Mr. Brion did, and now he has the whole custom of the town. Mr. Brion was born in Union County and Uniontown, May 14, 1824, and removed with parents to Tioga County, Pa., and lived there for twenty years; received a common schooling in Campbelltown, Steuben Co., N. Y.; then was married in 1849 to Miss Sarah Reeper, of Lycoming County, Pa.; then kept a hotel at English Centre, Lycoming Co., Pa., for one year; then to Steuben County, and engaged in general mercantile and drug business for five years; then back to Knoxville, Pa., and kept a hotel for five years; then back to Steuben County, and on October 16, 1879, came to Unadilla, Neb., and entered a store as clerk for about a year; then, seeing the need of a hotel, engaged in that business. He was drafted in October, 1862, for nine months, and served his time in Company A, One Hundred and Seventy-first Infantry. He enlisted February 20, 1865, at Harrisburg, in Company A, Third Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served till war closed.
S. W. BRION, dealer and manufacturer of boots and shoes, Unadilla. Born in Tioga County, Pa., May 20, 1851, and lived there until 1868; then removed to Steuben County, N. Y., and learned his trade; then engaged in business for himself until 1878. Came to Unadilla and has been engaged as above. Was married to Miss Lillie R. Johnson, of Steuben County, N. Y., and have three children.
A. A. BRYANT, farmer, Unadilla, P. O. Born in Jefferson County, town of Ellisburgh, N. Y., April 22, 1851, where he remained until the age of nineteen, when he went to Kane County, Ill., and remained for a short time, working by the month, farming; from there to Barry County, Mich., where he remained three years on a fruit farm; and in 1873, moved to Otoe County, and bought eighty acres on Section 27, Town 9, Range 10, and has since bought an adjoining eighty acres, and is in a fair way to fortune. He married Miss Elizabeth Pell, November, 1878; they have two children, Carrie E., born July 30, 1879, and an infant, born January 3, 1882.
WILLIAM CALLAWAY, P. O. Unadilla; born in Wiltshire, England, September 17, 1822. Emigrated in April, 1867, and took up a homestead of 160 acres, Section 1, Town 8, Range 10, and lived in a dug-out, and second year had his grain burned on account of prairie fire. Was married, 1853, to Miss Mary Ann Penney; has five children, two girls and three boys.
H. S. CLARK, dealer in hardware, stoves, tinware, and farmers' steel goods, Unadilla. Business was established by J. C. Ely, in 1878, and carried on by him until December, 1881, when H. S. Clark succeeded him. He was born in New York in 1827, moved to Wisconsin in 1855, and to Marysville, Kan., in 1869. H. E. Clark, son of H. S. Clark, was born at Fond du Lac, Wis., December 30, 1860, and moved with his parents in August, 1869, to Marysville, Marshall Co., Kan. He remained there until December, 1881, when he came to Unadilla to take charge of the store. In the meantime he graduated at the business college at Topeka.
EDMUND COMLEY, farmer, P. O. Unadilla, was born in Oxfordshire, England, and emigrated to America in August, 1866, and landed in New York, and at once went West as far as Nebraska City, and spent the winter, and in the spring went on farther West and took a homestead of 160 acres on Section 34, Town 9, and Range 10. He was married in 1856 to Miss Harriet Gilman, of Gloucestershire, England, who died in 1876, leaving two children; he married again in 1877, to Mrs. Pegler, a widow lady, a relict of the late Jacob Pegler, of West Hoboken, New Jersey.
CHARLES DORMAN, farmer, P. O. Unadilla; was born in Leicestershire, England, January 16, 1841, and emigrated to America in August, 1866, going to Chicago; where he remained a short time teaming, and in 1867 came to Otoe county, Neb., and took a homestead of eighty acres on Section 34, Town 9, Range 10. In 1875 he was elected School Director, and served six years; and in 1881 elected Assessor for Russell Precinct, and served one term. He now owns 300 acres of land. He was married, January 19, 1860, to Ann Pell; they have six children: Fanny E., born April 17, 1864; William B., born October 13, 1867; Emily J., born October 24, 1871; Charles W., born November 22, 1874; Irene C., born December 23, 1876; Louisa A., born January 3, 1881.
HIRAM DUBOIS, farmer, Unadilla P. O., born in Ulster County, N. Y., April 23, 1831, where he remained until 1852, engaged in farming, and from there to Ross County, Ohio, and rented a farm, and in 1861 enlisted in Company C, Thirty-third Ohio Infantry, and was discharged at expiration of service, in 1864. He was wounded slightly, and after being discharged he returned home again and resumed his farming pursuits until 1867, when he moved to Nebraska and settled in Cass County where he bought eighty acres, and after living there fourteen years he came to Otoe County, and bought 320 acres on Section 35, Town 9, Range 11. Married in 1865, to Miss Marretta Bramblutt, of Ross County, Ohio, who was born June 14, 1841, and have two children, William H., born February 23, 1869, Etta J., born November 4, 1877.
T. S. DUBOIS, dealer in fancy groceries and butter, Unadilla. Established by George Saunders in 1879, and succeeded by Mr. Dubois, who was born in Ulster County, N. Y., July 2, 1837, and in 1878 went to Toledo, Ohio, and was engaged in running a steam saw mill for a short time, when he went to Moniteau County, Missouri, and there learned the butcher business and entered into partnership with John Viniard in the town of Tipton, then back to father's farm for two years, then to Pleasantville, Pennsylvania, where he carried on butchering two years. Was married in March, 1867, to Miss Esther Westmiller, of Gardner, Ulster County, and engaged in hotel business and butchering in connection for four years, and from there to New Belse village, and remained until 1878, when he moved to Southeast Missouri, and from there to Cass County, Neb., on a farm, and from there to Unadilla, and engaged in his old trade in connection with his farm. He has four children living, Ray, born January 24, 1863, Carrie, born 1870, Evaline, May, 1876, Theodora, 1880. In politics Mr. D. is a staunch Democrat and a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity.
DAVID EVEREST, farmer, Unadilla P. O., born in Wyoming County, N. Y., April 3, 1840, where he remained until the age of thirteen when he moved to Rock County, Wis., with parents until 1861, when he enlisted in Company D, Thirteenth Wisconsin, Infantry, and served during the war. He was promoted to First Lieutenant, and was mustered out at San Antonio, Texas, in 1865, when he returned home to Wisconsin and engaged in contracting on a railroad for four years, then came to Otoe County, Neb., in 1868, and rented a farm, then to Russell Precinct, Town 8, Section 23, and rented 200 acres, and married in April, 1869, to Miss Myra Willard, who was born in Vermont. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
H. P. FARNSWORTH, farmer, P. O. Unadilla, was born in Muscatine County, Iowa, October 22, 1845, where he remained until 1864, then went to the University for a short time, then enlisted and served for four and a half months. When he came home he engaged on his father's farm, where he worked in the summers and taught school in the winters until March, 1869, when he came to Otoe County and bought 120 acres on the southeast quarter of Section 4, Town 8, Range 10, Russell Precinct. He has always taken an active interest in the welfare of the State of Nebraska, more especially the part where he lives. He was married in February, 1868, to Miss Helen Burdett, of Muscatine County, Iowa. They have three boys and one girl. He is an active member of the Equitable Aid Union at Unadilla.
JOHN M. FARNSWORTH, farmer, Unadilla, born in Muscatine County, Iowa, December 15, 1853, where he remained until the fall of 1875, when he went to Janesville, Wis., learning the telegraphing where he served seven months, then to Chicago, practicing the telegraphing under instructions until February, 1877, then to Vicksburg for a short time, then a general tramp, partly for health and partly for knowledge, and in July, 1878, arrived home and remained there until 1879. In January, 28, 1880, he was married to Miss Mattie C. Haines, who was born in Newton, Iowa, March 23, 1858, the third daughter of the Rev. Daniel Haines, a Baptist minister of twenty-four years' standing. Mr. F. has one child, born January 28, 1881, named Elmer Ross Farnsworth. Mr. F. is a member of the Knights of Pythias, at Syracuse.
SQUIRE LINE, farmer, Unadilla P. O. Born in Rush County, Indiana, March 28, 1831, when he remained until 1853, then worked out one year and was married in 1854, and went to Edgar County, Ill., and rented a farm until the fall of 1861 when he moved to Wabash County and rented a farm until fall of 1867, then back to Illinois, for one year, then on October 20, 1868, to Nebraska, and took a homestead of eighty acres, he has been in some of the school offices and overseer of highways. He was comparatively poor, when he came to this county, and has got along well. He married Miss Elisa Ann Pearl, born in New York and raised in Indiana.
FREDERICK LUCAS, farmer, Unadilla P. O., born in Northamptonshire, England, October 24, 1838, and emigrated to the United States in 1866, and in 1867 moved to Nebraska and took up a homestead of eighty acres on Section 34, Town-9, Range 10. At that time there were only two settlers in this part of Otoe County. They had to get their provisions and merchandise from Nebraska City, then a small town. When, after coming to this State Mr. Lucas worked a short time in Nebraska City to get enough money to build a small house on his homestead, as his means were very limited and had to pay all the money he possessed for an outfit to get on his homestead and start farming with. He was married in Northampton, England, to Miss Fanny Pell. They had six children, two sons and four daughters.
ELIJAH LUFF, farmer, P. O., Unadilla, was born in Somersetshire, England, on Good Friday, 1833, and came to Ohio, in 1856, and remained for one year. Then removed to Nebraska City and worked by the day for one year, then went West and bought eighty acres of land. After some years he took 160 acres as a homestead more in Section 33, Town 9, Range 10. He was married to Miss Charlotte Mills, of England, in November, 1863. They have six children: George W., born August 15, 1864; Albert J., May 4, 1866; Jane A., March 4, 1868; Elizah T., April 6, 1870; Charles H., May 20, 1876; Alice M., December 14, 1880.
ALEXANDER McINTYRE, farmer, P. O. Unadilla, was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, October 2, 1839, then went to Edinburgh, Scotland, where he served an apprenticeship in a clothing establishment in 1854 two years,. Then went to Worcester, England, in 1856, engaged as a book-keeper and clerk in a wholesale and retail establishment for four years; then went to Dudley, in the same county, for seven years. From Dudley, England, emigrated to Nebraska City in 1867; then to Section 30, Township 8, Range 10, where he took a homestead of 160 acres. He was married in Dudley, Worcester Co., England, in 1863, to Miss Sarah Grainger. Mr. McIntyre has served as Assessor and Enumerator.
S. W. MOHLER & BRO., dealer in hardware, stoves, tinware, paints, oils and painters' materials. Furniture department, they keep constantly on hand a large and well selected stock of furniture of all kinds and latest styles, looking-glasses, mattresses, etc. B. F. Mohler was born in Orrstown, Franklin Co., Penn., January 26, 1851, and remained there until 1860; then he removed to Martinsburgh, Berkley Co., W. Va., where he got a good common schooling and remained there until 1874, and came to Nebraska City April 30, same year; then engaged in farming for four years; then was engaged in mercantile business for two years, and in 1881 he engaged in the hardware business as above.
LOGAN ORRISON, farmer, P. O. Unadilla, was born in Loudoun County, Va., October 6, 1842, and was raised in Frederick County, Maryland, where he remained until 1860 and enlisted in 1861 in Company A, First Maryland Cavalry, and was discharged in 1864, and re-enlisted in the same company and regiment, and served until the close of the war. He was mostly engaged in the valley where he was discharged. He went to Berkeley County, W. Va., where he remained for six years; and came direct from there to Nebraska, and engaged in the hotel business for three years, and from that went to farming. He was married September 21, 1869, and has four children.
EMMER A. PALMER, farmer, P. O., Unadilla, was born in Summit County, Ohio, October 8, 1845, where he remained until 1866, and was married to Miss Jeanette Everest, of Summit County, Ohio, October 17, 1866. He enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Seventy-seventh Ohio Infantry, and was transferred to the One Hundred and Eighty-first Company A, and was discharged in July, 1865; then returned home and engaged at working for his father for one year; then moved to Nebraska and took up a homestead of 160 acres on Section 18, Township 8, Range 10, Otoe County, where he remained until 1877, when he rented his farm and went to Hamburgh City, Iowa, engaged in farming, but is now occupying his own farm in Otoe County. He is an active member of the G. A. R., and is at present holding the office of adjutant. He has three boys and two girls.
HENRY J. PEGLER, farmer, P. O. Unadilla, was born in Gloucestershire, England, May 17, 1852, and emigrated with his parents in 1854 and settled in West Hoboken, N. J., where he remained until 1873. He was married in 1875 to Miss Nellie Jary, who was born in Waupaca County, Wis. She was the fourth daughter of Robert Jary, a prominent man of Waupaca. They have one son, Frederick J., born May 22, 1877. Mr. P. is an active member of the Equitable Aid Union.
WILLIAM PELL, farmer and carpenter, Unadilla P. O. Born in Leicestershire, England, April 1, 1846, and emigrated to Chicago in 1866 and remained there one year working at the carpenter trade, then came to Otoe County, Neb., and bought eighty acres in Section 34, Town 9, Range 10, and remained on his farm till 1871 when he returned to Chicago and engaged at his trade and butchering until 1877, when he turned his steps westward again and took up farming again and has increased his farm from eighty acres to 520 acres. He had after landing in Nebraska only $1,000 in cash and has now one of the finest farms in the county. Mr. Pell was one of the first settlers in this part of the county.
G. W. PIERSON, farmer, P. O. Unadilla, Neb., was born in Sussex County N. Y., September 1, 1843, and removed from there to Muscatine County, Iowa, in 1848 where he lived until the breaking out of the Rebellion of 1861 when he enlisted in Company A, Seventh Iowa Infantry and served as a soldier during the war when he returned to his home in Muscatine County, Iowa. Was married in the fall of 1866 to Louisa, daughter of Alfred Purcell. Moved to Washington County, Iowa, where he was engaged in farming until the spring of 1872, when he moved to Otoe County, Neb., and bought the southwest quarter of Section 29, Town 8, Range 10, where he has since been engaged in farming and manufacturing sorghum molasses. He has been Moderator on the School Board since 1873, was Road Supervisor in 1875 and 1876, is an active member of the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R. and also A., F. & A. M., all the above lodges held at Palmyra. Mr. and Mrs. P. have one son and three daughters.
H. F. REMER, livery and feed stables, Unadilla. Born in Herkimer County, N. Y., February 17, 1837, and in 1843 moved to Grand Traverse, Mich., and left in the fall of 1860 for Livingston County, Ill., and in 1861 he enlisted in Company F, Third Illinois Cavalry for three years and was discharged, his time having expired. Was married to Miss M. J. Mannon, who was born in Washington, Pa., in 1857. Married February 10, 1870, and has five children, two sons and three daughters, all living.
WILLIAM SAUNDERS, Unadilla, proprietor of the Unadilla flouring mills, built in 1875 by Saunders & Comley, and carried on under the name and style of Saunders & Comley until 1876 when Mr. Saunders bought out his partner and now controls the business. There are three run of stone and the mill is situated on the Little Nemaha River, is three stories high, 38x40, and is a wooden structure. Mr. S. was born in Buckinghamshire, England, and emigrated to America in 1866 from Northampton, where he lived for fourteen years, and landed in Otoe county about the last week in September of the same year and settled on a homestead. Stayed there for six years. In 1872 he built the first house in Unadilla and there engaged in the grain and lumber business.
N. L. SIMPSON, dealer in agricultural implements, established in January, 1881. He handles the most of his implements from the Pekin Company, Pekin, Ill. Also Kansas wagons and carriages, manufactured at Leavenworth, Kan. Born in Madison County, Ky., July 31, 1831. Left there at the age of seven years with his parents. Then went to Jackson County, Mo., for nineteen years where he received a good schooling and was engaged in farming, and from there to Johnson County, Kan., for eighteen months and was engaged in farming. From there to Otoe County, Neb., in April, 1859, and engaged in overland freighting business from Nebraska City to all points west until the spring of 1867 when he sold to Wells, Fargo & Co., of North Platte. Then he engaged in the milling business in Otoe County where he met the reverses and lost heavily. He was elected to the office of County Treasurer in 1877, and served one term. In 1875 he engaged again in farming on Section 2, Town 8, Range 10, until 1882 when he sold his farm and stock and engaged in the implement business. He was married December 10, 1851, to Miss Maria Meeker, the eldest daughter of Rev. Jotham Meeker, then a missionary in Kansas. She was the first white child born in Kansas. They have nine sons and two daughters. The eldest, Duke, was born September 22, 1852. The youngest was born November 26, 1877.
S. G. SHOWALTER, blacksmith, carriage and wagon manufacturer, Unadilla, was born in Shenandoah Valley, Va., September 16, 1847. Left there in the fall of 1864, being drafted in the confederate army, and went to Cambridge City, Ind., and apprenticed himself to his trade in 1869. Before this he worked on a farm or anything he could get to do, and in 1878 he started on his own account, having traveled through Indiana, Ohio and Illinois, in order to make himself perfect in his business. He married Miss Maggie Copley, of Danville, Ill., May 18, 1876. She was born in New York, and came West with her parents. They have two children, Ferdinand, born January 25, 1877; Silas G., born December 17, 1879. Mr. S. has organized a brass band in Unadilla of twelve pieces, composed all of young men, and we predict a bright future for the enterprise under the able leadership of Mr. S., as he has now eighteen years' experience.
WILLIAM G. TODD, farmer, Unadilla P. O. Born in Franklin County, Ind., January 12, 1845, where he remained until 1874; then came to Nebraska and settled in Otoe County as a farmer on Section 33, Township 8, Range 10, for a short time; then moved further south, and in 1879 came to the farm where he now lives, Section 7, Township 8, Range 10. He married Miss Martha J. Jordan, second daughter of William Jordan, a prominent farmer of Hamilton County, Ohio. She was born in 1845.
GEORGE C. UNDERHILL, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Unadilla, was born in Rockingham County, N. H., March 1, 1852, and remained there until 1870; then moved to Summit County, Ohio, and engaged in farming for nine years; then went to Nebraska and settled in Otoe County, where he bought a farm of Jonathan Strine, northwest quarter, Section 35, Town 9, Range 10, 160 acres. He was married in 1870 to Miss Mary J. Bassett, of Ohio. They have two children, a daughter, born October 3, 1871, and an infant son, Born May 31, 1881.
A. W. VANHORN, farmer, P. O. Unadilla. Born in Jefferson County, Indiana, May 14, 1825, and in 1842, served an apprenticeship as chair and spinning-wheel maker; then was engaged on the river for six years; then engaged in carpentry business for eight years, and moved to Nebraska City, where he lived until 1868, engaged in farming and carpentering, and in 1871 he settled on Section 28, Township 8, Range 11, on a homestead of 160 acres. He was the only settler in this part of the country, and had to go to Nebraska City for everything they used. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Ann Johnston, of Indiana, and have nine children.
MRS. HARRIET WALLEN, farmer, P. O. Unadilla, relict of the late James Wallen, who was born September 16, 1830, in Oakhill, Somersetshire, England, and emigrated to Wayne County, Ohio, July 30, 1855, where he remained one year engaged in farming; then came to Nebraska City and remained there until 1859; then settled on Section 4, Township 8, Range 10, in 1859. Bought about 500 acres more on Sections 29, 30, 32 and 33, Township 9, Range 10. Mr. Wallen was an honest, industrious man, and highly respected by all who knew him. He was a man who was ever ready to help the poor and needy. The new settlers always found in him a friend. He was married May 2, 1858, to Miss Harriet Densley, of Bath, Somersetshire, England, who was born July 31, 1838, and emigrated to Ohio in 1848. They have eight children: Alfred H., born September 29, 1861; Ella L., October 8, 1867; Amy, October 11, 1863; James E., October 22, 1869; William, November 24, 1871; Frederick C., March 12, 1873; George A., March 14, 1875, and Frank I., May 5, 1878. Mr. Wallen died May 1, 1882, at his residence in Russell Precinct, of consumption, after one year's illness.
O. A. WARNER, dealer in grain and agricultural implements, Unadilla, was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., April 9, 1829, and settled in Syracuse, Neb., in 1870. Established the above business in September, 1879. He has been buying grain for the Nebraska City Elevator Co. Enlisted in 1862 in Fremont County, Iowa, Company F, Fifteenth Iowa Infantry, and served three years and was discharged at expiration of time. Was wounded at Atlanta, Ga., July 22, 1865. Married Miss Mary Terrill, of Otoe County, in 1875. They have two children: Clyde, born February 28, 1877, and May, born December 16, 1881.