Surface and Natural Products | Early Settlement | Events and Items|
War Record | County Organization | County Roster|
Court House and Jail | Railroads | Ferry and Transfer Companies|
Otoe County Fair Association | Otoe County Medical Society
The Old Settlers' Association | Assessments for Taxation
Nebraska City: Early Settlement | Selling Town Lots | A Judicial Joke|
An Incident of the Panic | An Era of Speculation
Nebraska City (cont.): Transportation and Telegraphs | Incorporation|
Official Roster | Criminal | Education
Nebraska City (cont.): Religion|
Nebraska City (cont.): The Press | Government Offices|
Fire Department | Fires | Societies | Wyuka Cemetery
Nebraska City (cont.): Public Buildings | Hotels | Banks|
Board of Trade | Elevators | Nebraska City Gaslight Company
9 - 14:
** Nebraska City Biographical Sketches **|
| ADLE~DILLON | DRAKE~KEES | KINNEY | KOHN~NEILSON |
| NORTHCUTT~SCHMITZ | SEYMOUR~ZIMMERS |
Syracuse: Education | Religion | Societies | Railroad Interests|
The Press | Biographical Sketches
Syracuse (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Palmyra: Education | Societies | Religion | Business|
Dunbar: Events and Items | Education | Religion | Societies|
Railroad Interests | Delaware Precinct (biographical sketches)
Unadilla: Religion | Societies | The Press | Events and Items|
Wyoming | Camp Creek | Other Towns|
Biographical Sketches: North Branch Precinct | Hendricks Precinct
Osage Precinct | McWilliams Precinct | Berlin Precinct | Minersville
List of Illustrations in Otoe County Chapter
HON. JOHN ADLE, County Judge, came to Nebraska City in April, 1865, and has lived there ever since, bringing his family here in 1866, until 1872, he worked at house painting then his health failed and he was in no active business until he was elected Justice of the Peace, in the fall of 1873, at which he served four, being for two years also Police Judge. In the fall of 1877, he was elected County Judge, and was re-elected in 1879 and 1881. He was born in Sterling, Cayuga Co., N. Y., June 18, 1825. He lived in that county until 1851, when he removed to Joliet, Will Co., Ill., where he lived until he came to Nebraska. He received his academical education at Red Creek, Wayne Co., N. Y. He was married at Victory, Cayuga Co., N. Y., in 1848 to Charlotte M. Neely, daughter of Captain John Neely, a native of Victory. She died in June, 1858, at Joliet, leaving four children, only one of whom John H. now survives. The Judge was married again in 1861, at Joliet, Ill., to Emarilla G. Perry, a native of Speedsville, Tompkins Co., N. Y. They have one child, Charles. Mr. A. is a member of the I. O. O. F., having joined when twenty-one years old, and of A., F. & A. M. since 1864.
H. AIRD & CO., dealers in stoves, hardware, tinware, etc. Business established in 1874, by Mr. Aird. He employs from two to four men in his tin department and carries a stock of $5,000 to $6,000. Mr. Aird was born in Oswego County, N. Y., May 1, 1838. Educated at home, he then learned his trade in Oneida County, N. Y. About 1855, he located in DeKalb County, Ill., from there he went to Missouri, living some years in Howard and Randolph counties, then visited the West--Salt Lake City, etc. In 1864, he settled in Nebraska City, where he followed his trade until 1874. He was married in Nebraska City, May, 1870, to Miss Mary Woodruff of that city, originally from Cincinnati, Ohio. They have four children, Hugh Woodruff, Jean, Mary and an infant unnamed. Mr. A. is a member of the I. O. O. F., Subordinate Lodge and Encampment. Is at present Treasurer of Frontier No. 3. Has held all offices at different times.
H. H. BARTLING, grocer and grain dealer, located at Nebraska City, in April, 1869. He was employed as clerk for F. W. Rottmann for two and a half years, and then engaged in his present business with Henry Homeyer. They were together as partners until the spring of 1875, since which time he has been alone. He deals in all kinds of grain and farm produce. Mr. Bartling has been Alderman for his ward for five years. He was born in Westphalia, Prussia, September 16, 1848, and came to America in the fall of 1865, landed at New York, December 7. He located in Washington County, Ill., working on a farm there, until he came here. He was married at Nebraska City, July 31, 1874, to Frederika Wilhelmina Gaede, a native of Prussia. They have four children; Nellie, Henry, Willie and an infant son. Mr. Hartling does a business of from $70,000 to $80,000 per annum.
ROBERT BAXTER, successor to S. B. Eastman, boots and shoes, was born in England, June 26, 1826. Came to Canada, in 1852, and was engaged in the mercantile line and the furnishing of wood for the different lines of steamboats remaining there until coming to Nebraska City, in January, 1882. He bought his present business April 10. Mr. B. was married in 1872, at Detroit Mich. They have three children living; Frederick R., Charles A. and Thomas.
REV. W. K. BEANS, Pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, June 4, 1847, his parents moved to Grundy County, Ill., about 1852, where they engaged in farming. Mr. Beans' own father was a minister of the Gospel, who died while he was young. The subject of this sketch took his preparatory course of instruction at Aurora, Ill., in the Jennings Seminary. After teaching Latin and Greek one year he entered the Theological Institute at Evanston, Ill., from which he graduated in 1873. He was then attached to the Rock River Conference, and held charges in Wyanet, Bureau Co., Ill., at Oswego, Kendall Co., and Waterman, DeKalb Co. About 1878, he was transferred to the Nebraska Conference, served a full term of three years in Omaha, and October 1, 1881, took charge of his present parish. He was married in Aurora, Ill., June 18, 1873, to Miss Ethel A., eldest daughter of Rev. J. C. Stoughton, a minister of the Rock River Conference. They have one son, Lorenzo Wesley, they lost one child in Omaha. Mr. B. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and of the Good Templars.
FRED BEYSCHLAG, brewer, came to Nebraska City, in April, 1855, but only remained a short time. In March 1858, he returned and started a brewery, continuing it ever since. In 1881, he manufactured about 2,000 barrels of beer. He was a member of the first Constitutional Convention, in 1864, and served as County Commissioner three years. He was born in Bavaria, May 31, 1832, and came to America, in September, 1854. He located at St. Louis, for a short time. October 14, 1860, he was married at Nebraska City. He has two children; Emma and Theodore. Mr. Beyschlag is a member of I. O. O. F. and K. of P. He gives employment to five men.
WILLIAM BISCHOF, hardware merchant, came to Nebraska City, in the spring of 1855. In September, 1852, he had located in Atchison County. Mo., and lived there until he came here. In the summer of 1855, he returned to Atchison County and in 1856, went to Dakota, where he was employed three years as a clerk. In 1859, he returned to Nebraska City and commenced freighting to Denver, and kept a ranch 300 miles west of Nebraska, continuing this until 1867. He then returned to Nebraska City and engaged in his present business. In 1870 and 1871, he was State Commissioner of Immigration. He was alderman of the Third Ward one term, and is secretary of the Otoe County Old Settlers Association, and President of the School Board. He has been prominently identified with school interests, being one of the trustees of Nebraska College. He was born at Nuremburg, Bavaria, March 14, 1835, and was married at Nebraska City, December 28, 1865, to Miss K. Zimmerer, a native of Wurtemburg. They have seven children; William G., Louisa, Otto A., Eda, Arthur A., Ollie and Lillie. Mr. B. is a member of I. O. O. F.
[Portrait of A. Bowen, M. D.]
AURELIUS BOWEN. What we have to say in the way of biography of Doctor Bowen, we condense from "The Physicians and Surgeons of the United States," a work edited by Dr. Atkinson, the permanent secretary of the American Medical Association, and from the Lincoln Journal, the leading Republican paper of Nebraska, and of course opposed to the Doctor in politics. Doctor Aurelius Bowen, whose ancestry served in the Revolutionary war, was the son of Dr. Silas Bowen, of Reading, Windsor Co., Vermont, where he was born January 30, 1817. The family was from Woodstock, Conn., and originally of Welsh origin. His classical education was received at Bennington, Vt., where he was a classmate of Rev. E. H. Chapin, the noted lecturer and pulpit orator. He graduated in medicine from Castleton, Vt., Medical College. Dr. Bowen resided quite a time, while yet young, on Rock River, in Northern Illinois, when the country was almost as yet unsettled. In 1855, he was among the early settlers of Kansas, and took part in all the stirring political events of this opening of the struggle, which culminated in the war of the Rebellion. At the Big Springs Convention, September 4, 1855, he was on a committee of thirteen, and in a minority of one in favor of immediate State organization. When the committee reported, Jim Lane rose to his feet and made a rousing speech for organization, which carried by a large majority. In the following winter, Dr. Bowen returned East for his family, and in February, he answered through the columns of the New York Tribune, the proclamation of President Pierce to the people of Kansas. He is a member of the Otoe County Medical Society, and of the Nebraska State Medical Society, and has been president of both. At the request of the latter, he prepared a monograph upon diphtheria, read at the annual meeting in May, 1882. He was Surgeon of the Second Nebraska Cavalry, in the war of the Rebellion; was at the battle of White Stone Hills, in the Sioux war, in 1863, under Gen. Sully and received honorable mention. He was Medical Director of the District of Nebraska, and has been ever since the war an United States Examining Surgeon for Pensions. In the spring of 1856, in attempting to return to Kansas with his wife and children, he was stopped in the highway, just west of Platte City, Mo., by border ruffians and ordered to turn back. As his wife was ill and his children small, he finally listened to the earnest remonstrances of Capt. Leonard, the United States Arsenal keeper, at Liberty, Mo., and turned his steps to Nebraska, where he has since resided. In 1873 and `74, Dr. B. was State Senator from the Third District in Nebraska. He came to Lincoln a few hours before the Legislature convened, and found the twelve other senators divided into two polite but unyielding bodies, numbering six each. This was a source of much more embarrassment than pleasure to the Doctor, as of course, each party had a favorite candidate for every office, from president to page. He selected the most capable from each side for all the prominent offices, and for a wonder, satisfied both. He drew up and introduced the first bill for an institute for the blind in Nebraska, and for the first seven years of its existence, was one of the directors of the Deaf Mute Institute. Mainly through his exertions, the first high school building west of the Missouri River, was erected in 1864, in Nebraska City; and he is at present County Superintendent of Public Schools. The Journal has this is to say of him: "The Doctor is a ready speaker, possesses considerable knowledge of law, as well as physics, and no question can be sprung in the Senate, that he does not know something about. He is quick of perception, and rarely fails to make his point in a discussion. In person, the Doctor is of medium size, complexion light, sharp gray eyes, and in politics a Liberal; though this is not strange, as he is said to be one of the most liberal men in Otoe county. That the Doctor will take good care of the interests of his constituents, there can be no question, and his record in the Senate will be good." Dr. Bowen married April 10, 1846, Arabella, youngest daughter of the late Gen. Abner Forbes, of Windsor, Vt., by whom he has had two sons and one daughter.
J. C. BOYD, County Superintendent of Public Instruction, was born near Knoxville, Tenn., June 10, 1837, and was educated at Marysville College, Blount County, Tenn. He left college in 1860 and commenced teaching and continued in the profession until he came to Nebraska in 1864. He settled in Otoe County and engaged in farming, and also taught school for a time. He had charge of the first school established in Dunbar. In November, 1879, he was elected to his present position. He was married in Blount County, Tenn., July 26, 1860, to Miss Isabella McCullough, of that county. They have seven children. Laura L., Emma E., John W., Charles F., Edward L., Mary E. and Albert L. M. Boyd is a member of the K. of H.
HARRY M. BOYDSTON, City Clerk and book-keeper for D. P. Rolfe & Co., came to Nebraska City in the spring of 1856 with his parents, William L. and Cornelia Boydston, he being at that time an infant. He was born at Paris, Ill., January 31, 1855, and was educated at the Nebraska City schools and at the Peru Normal School, in 1873, 1874-'75. His mother died in 1873 and his father in 1876. After leaving the Normal school he went on a farm near Beatrice for several months. He relinquished all claim in his father's estate to a young sister and determined to make his way in the world on his own merits. Late in 1876 he returned to Nebraska City and entered the County Clerk's office and remained there until January, 1879. He was then employed as book-keeper for W. T. Sloan. In April 1879, he was elected City Clerk, and in the two following years was re-elected. He was with Sloan until March, 1881, and then with the Nebraska city Distilling Company until it failed, four months later. He then entered the Government Engineer's office at this place, as paymaster, and continued in that position until November 14, 1881, when he became book-keeper for D. P. Rolfe & Co. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
GEORGE M. BRINKER, physician and surgeon, came to Nebraska City in February, 1865. In 1875-'76 he resided at Denver, Colo., and for three years he kept a hotel, being proprietor of the Seymour House. He was born in Frederick County, Va., June 27, 1813, and was educated at the University of Pennsylvania, graduating in 1837. He practiced at Strasburg, Shenandoah Co., Va., for seventeen years and then came to Brunswick, Mo., where he lived from 1854 to 1859, engaged in mercantile pursuits. He was married near Strasburg, Va., March 7, 1839 to Mary A. H. Bowman. They have seven children, George I., Mary E., Arthur W., Ella R., Anna V., Lucy B. and Joseph; one son died. The doctor belongs to the Otoe County Medical Association, the Presbyterian Church and A., F. & A. M.
ALBERT ALLYN BROWN, editor and proprietor of the Nebraska Press, was born in Rockford, Ill., December 25, 1856, removed to Sterling, Ill., at a very early age, and in 1863 accompanied his parents to Omaha, Neb., crossing the State of Iowa, west of Des Moines in a stage coach. He remained in Omaha and Council Bluffs until 1865, when he removed to Nebraska City, entering the Public Schools, and subsequently, the Nebraska College. At the age of seventeen he entered the office of the Nebraska Press, assuming the city editorship in 1876, and shortly after full charge of the paper. At this time there were four daily and two weekly papers in the city, the Press being of them all the only Republican sheet yet published. He has been chairman of the Republican City Central Committee for six years.
DAVID BROWN, loan and insurance agent, came to Nebraska City in May, 1859, and remained a short time. That summer he taught school in Nemaha County at ten dollars per month and board. Then he taught school at Mound City Mo., for two and one half hears. Returned to Nebraska City, where he engaged in farming and stock dealing until the fall of 1863. He then spent five years freighting to Denver, Salt Lake, and Montana. Since then he has been in the loan and insurance business, and has been extensively engaged in farming. He was born at Penn's Manor, Bucks Co., Pa., November 8, 1837. When eighteen years of age he went to Philadelphia and entered in the law and conveyancing office, where he stayed until he came to Nebraska. He has been a member of the State Senate and was Postmaster at Nebraska City from July, 1871 to July, 1876. He was married at Nebraska City, December 20, 1871, to Jennie L. Lombard, a native of Michigan but reared in Ohio.
LEWIS C. BURNETT, hide and leather dealer, came to Nebraska City in July, 1878, and has been in his present trade since he came here. He was born in Terre Haute, Ind., October 30, 1848, and lived there until October, 1863, when he moved to Charleston, Ill. There he resided three and one-half years, and moved to Mattoon. From there he moved, in March, 1877, to Champaign, where he conducted a hide and leather business until he came here. He was married at Mattoon, Ill., January 1, 1871, to Emma C. Berry, a native of Ohio. they have three children, Lola H., Lewis C. Jr., and Octavia Maud. Mr. B. is a member of the Methodist Church.
GEORGE H. BURGERT, City Treasurer, came to Nebraska City, September 4, 1857, and was employed as a salesman in a store for about two years. Then he went into the boot and shoe business, which he continued until 1865, when he sold out and became Deputy Postmaster, holding that position nine years. In 1875 he entered James Sweet & Co.'s bank and remained eight months. In September, 1877, he was appointed City Treasurer and was elected in 1878 and re-elected every year since. He was born in Bedford, Coshocton Co., Ohio, February 14, 1830. That was his home until 1852, when he removed to Indiana for six months. Returning to Ohio he located at Cleveland where he sold boots and shoes for Huett & Burgert, wholesale dealers, for a year. He afterwards went to Worthington, Ind. There employed in selling goods for two years and then, after traveling for a few months, came to Nebraska. He was married at Nebraska City, September 13, 1860, to Maria L. Haskell, a native of Princeton, Ill. They have five children living. Minnie Elizabeth, Celia May, Vida Eleanor, George and Susie. Mr. B. is a member of I. O. O. F. and of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
CAPTAIN O. BUTT, captain of B. & M. R. R. transfer boat. Was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, near Zanesville, October 14, 1829. October 14, 1843, he crossed the Mississippi River and settled in Burlington, Iowa. In May of the following year he commenced his river life on the steamer Otter as boy at five dollars per month. Since that time he has been engaged in steamboating. Was in all positions on the upper Mississippi up to 1869 when he settled in Plattsmouth, Neb., and entered the service of the B. & M. R. R. as captain of the transfer boat at that point, remaining until May, 1881, when the steamer was sent to Nebraska City. Has been in the service of the B. and M. R. R. over thirteen years, not losing one day. He was married in Burlington, Iowa, June 22, 1854, to Miss Eliza Jane Bailey, of that city. They have six children living, Oliver F., William H., Brick Pomeroy, George, Bonnie Dundee, Capitola.
HON. HENRY F. CADY, lumber dealer, came to Nebraska city, March 1, 1874, and engaged in the lumber trade for himself. Two years later he became manager of the Chicago Lumber Company, having a third interest in their yards at Council Bluffs, Omaha, Nebraska City, Palmyra, Unadilla, Dunbar and Talmage. He is president and one of the directors of the Nebraska City Telephone Company, and a stockholder in the Nebraska City Manufacturing Company. He is also vice president of the Board of Trade. He has charge of the Chicago Lumber Company's business on the line of the B. & M. R. R. Mr. Cady is now a member of the State Senate and has served four years as Alderman and two years as Secretary of the School Board. He was born in Madison, Wis., June 27, 1851. When five years old, his father moved to Iowa, and in 1857 to Kansas City, where Mr. Cady stayed until coming here. He was in the hardware business at Kansas City. He was married at La Cygne, Kan., January 1, 1872, to Ida L. Carman, a native of Madison, Wis. They have three children, Hattie F., Helen D. and Dean. Mr. Cady is a member of I. O. O. F. The sales of the Chicago Lumber Company at Nebraska City, amount to about 1,000,000 feet, or $100,000 per annum, or twenty-five per cent more than in 1874. At the smaller yards which Mr. Cady manages the sales amount to from $25,000 to $35,000 a year, or from 300,000 to 400,000 feet.
J. E. CALDWELL, M. D., physician and surgeon, came to Nebraska City in August 1881. He was born at Iowa Falls, Iowa, February 10, 1855, and graduated from Cedar Valley Seminary in 1877. Then he taught for some time and in 1881 graduated from the Homeopathic Medical Department of Iowa State University. He commenced practice at Center Point, Iowa, prior to coming here. The Dr. was married at Charles City, Iowa, April 21, 1881, to Julia V. Ford, a native of new York. He belongs to the I. O. O. F. He is a member of the Iowa Homeopathic Medical Society and the society in this State. He also belongs to the Baptist Church.
[Portrait of S. H. Calhoun.]
HON. S. H. CALHOUN, attorney at law, came to Nebraska City in August, 1858. In 1859, he was in the Surveyor General's office. Then he entered the law office of Harding & Blackman and was admitted to the bar in 1861 and has practiced here since. He was Prosecuting Attorney two terms and a member of the first State Senate. He has been Mayor four or five times and chairman of the Democratic State Central Committee. He was born at Boston, Mass., May 27, 1836, and graduated from Williams College in 1857. He commenced the study of law at Harvard Law School, securing the appointment in the Surveyor General's office. He came here in 1858, his uncle, John Calhoun, being Surveyor General of Kansas and Nebraska. He was married at Nebraska City, August 23, 1864, to Matilda McMechan, daughter of one of the earliest settlers. She was born in Glasgow, Mo. They have four children, John C., Annie, Simeon H. Jr., and Alexander. Mr. C. is a member of K. of H. and of Royal Arcanum. Mr. Calhoun was the first president of the State Bar Association, holding that office for three terms. He is also a member of the Constitutional Convention which framed the present constitution of Nebraska.
JOHN C. CAMPBELL, physician and surgeon, came to Nebraska City in November, 1854, being the first physician here. He was a member of the Territorial Legislature in 1855-56, and four terms thereafter. In 1861-62, he was a member of the Council and in 1863 was re-elected. For six years he served on the Nebraska City School Board. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention which framed the rejected Constitution. He was born near Lexington, Ky., December 22, 1814, and lived there eighteen years. Then he attended Miami University (Ohio) for four years, coming to Iowa in 1836, and locating at Burlington, with Dr. Lowe. In 1840, he graduated from the Medical Department of Kemper College, at St. Louis, now the Missouri State University. He commenced practice at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, and in 1846, moved to Wapello. In 1851, he went to Sidney, and remained there until he moved here. While there, he served two years as School Fund Commissioner. He was married to his first wife, Martha Ann Rogers, at Agency City, Iowa, October 22, 1846. She died at Nebraska City, April 25, 1861. Three children by this marriage live--John James, Edward Hugh and William Henry. He was married at Nebraska City, May 12, 1862, to Sarah P. Childs, a native of New York. They have three children--Henrietta, Ezra Theodore and Paul Mason. The Doctor belongs to the State and County Medical Societies, and has held various offices in them both.
MARSHALL SULLIVAN CAMPBELL, attorney, came to Nebraska City, October 13, 1855, as Public Land Surveyor, and served three years. From 1861 to 1871, he was engaged in farming. In 1871, he was elected County Surveyor, and held that office six years. He has been Justice of the Peace for twelve years, in the city and county. He was born at Cornish, Sullivan Co., N. H., January 27, 1820, and was reared in Warren County, N. J. When eighteen years old, he went on a whaling voyage for thirty-two months in the Pacific Ocean. Returning, he went to Norwich, Vt., and attended school there at the University for nearly three years. Then he entered Dartmouth College, but before he graduated, he volunteered in the Mexican war, serving from the fall of 1846 to August 1847, as Sergeant. He was civil engineer on the railroad in Pennsylvania and Southern New York till he came here. He was married at Greenville, Luzerne Co., Pa., July 13, 1850 to Eliza Bond, a native of that county. They have five children--Fennimore C , Edward L., Mervyn, Mary E. and George C. Mr. Campbell is a member of K. of P.
W. T. CANADA, Constable and manager of the Opera House, was born in Kentucky, April 11, 1847. At the time the war broke out, he enlisted in the third Kentucky Regiment, Company K. Served four years; was in almost all the battles of his command. At the time the war closed, he was Second Lieutenant, and but eighteen years of age. After being mustered out, he went to Cairo, and made an engagement there with a firm to sell goods through the South, holding it four years. Then came west, and located at Magnolia, Iowa, studying law. From there he came to Nebraska City. In March, 1869, engaged in the lumbering business with Ballentine & Sons, and remained with them for several years. He then run a cigar store for one year, at which time he was elected to the office of Constable, and at that time assumed the management of the Opera House, both of which he has held ever since. Mr. C. is a member of Frontier Lodge, No. 3, I. O. O. F. He was married in Nebraska City, to Alice McBride, February 19, 1871. They have four children--Willie, Maud, May and Jessie.
W. C. CLARY, veterinary surgeon, was born in Sangamon County, Ill., February 26, 1823. The portion of Sangamon County he was born in was afterward made Menard County. He remained at home until 1858, in which year he settled in Nemaha County, Neb. He engaged in the practice of his profession in Peru, Nemaha County, about three years, then engaged in farming until he moved to Nebraska City in 1877. He was married in Menard County, August 19, 1847, to Miss Elizabeth Watkins of that county. The Watkins were old residents of that section. She died, leaving six children--Robert M., George, Mary F., William M., Henry L., Ann S. He was married to his present wife in Nemaha County, Neb., April 31, 1871. She was Miss Angelina G. Hayes, a native of Missouri. They have four children--Cora E., Martha E., Charles C., Lula E. Mr. and Mrs. C. are both members of the Christian Church.
GEORGE W. CLINGIN, straight goods house, was born in Ohio, March 4, 1843. Leaving there, he came to Illinois, then to Indiana. From there, he went to Pennsylvania, then to Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Kentucky, remaining about three years, after which time he came to Nebraska City, in 1865, engaging at once in his present business.
[RESIDENCE OF ISAAC COE.]
GEN. ISAAC COE, capitalist, came to Nebraska City in June, 1857, and remained until after the land sales, when he located some land warrants and returned East. In 1858 he came back with his family, and has lived here ever since. For the first three years he engaged in the land business, and engaged in the freighting business with Levi Carter to Salt Lake and Montana, until 1868, the firm being Coe & Carter. In 1868 they commenced furnishing ties for the U. P. R. R. Company. Mr. Coe engaged in the cattle business in 1868, bringing 1,500 head from Texas and herding them on Laramie plains. Subsequently Mr. Carter took an interest in the cattle business and they have averaged from 3,000 to 10,000 head of cattle on hand each year, mostly in Nebraska. Two years ago they shipped 6,000 head to Nebraska from Nevada and Oregon. Their average sales are 1,000 a year. They now have from 7,000 to 9,000 head. In 1881 they furnished between 500,000 to 700,000 ties to the railroad for the Utah & Northern and the Oregon Short Line. They have about 60,000 acres of land in Texas, in Wharton, Lavaca, Colorado and Fort Bend counties. Gen. Coe was born in Middletown Conn., May 15, 1817, and lived there until nineteen years old, when he went to Alabama for a few years; then returned to Connecticut, and back to Alabama again and from there to Nebraska. He was elected Brigadier General of the South Platte in 1861. He was married at Middletown, Conn., to Sarah L. Bacon, a native of that town. They have two children T. Eloise, now Mrs. F. P. Ireland, and Frank E.
A. S. COLE, attorney at law, came to Nebraska City, April 9, 1869, and has practiced here most of the time since. From 1869 to 1871 he was Clerk of the District Court. He was born in Mexico, Oswego Co., N. Y., October 8, 1841. When four years old he moved to Burlington, Wis. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Second Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry; in September, 1862, he was commissioned Second Lieutenant Company H, Twenty-Second Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry; in December, 1862, he was put in the Signal Corps. June 19, 1863, he was commissioned First Lieutenant, and August 19, 1863, made a Captain. During the siege of Chattanooga he served as Chief Signal Officer of the Fourteenth Army Corps. He went with Sherman as far as Goldsboro, N. C., in the Signal Service, and was there assigned as aid to Gen. Howard. He was discharged at Milwaukee, June 29, 1865, having been brevetted Major, June 1, 1865. He came West for a while, and then returned to Kenosha, where he studied law and held the office of Register of Deeds. He was admitted to the bar in February, 1868. He was married at Fabius, Onondaga Co., N. Y., June 2, 1868, to Emiline L. Heffron, a native of Titusville, Pa. They have one child, Frank L., born October 10, 1868
L. F. CORNUTT came to Nebraska City, November 6, 1854, and has lived here most of the time since. Was engaged in mercantile business until he went Colorado in 1860; remained there until the fall of 1864, returning to Nebraska City. In the spring of 1868 he went to Cheyenne, Wyoming, and returned to Nebraska City in 1871. While at Central City and Cheyenne he was in mercantile business and from 1864 to 1868 at Nebraska City. He engaged in freighting. In 1871 he entered the lumber trade and remained in it for three years, since which time he has dealt in coal, lime, cement, and other building material. He was born on Elk Creek, Grayson County, Va., May 22, 1833, and lived here until he came to Nebraska City. In 1854, after a short stay here, he went to Atchison County, Mo., and lived in various towns there. He was married at Nebraska City, January 8, 1856, to Laura J. Hale, a daughter of W. B. Hale, who located here in 1854. They have two children living, William A. and Wiley S; they lost six. Mr. C. was City Treasurer; is now a member of the School Board and Secretary of the Board.
C. E. COTTON, bookkeeper for Tomlin, Duff & Co., grain and stock dealers, came to Nebraska City August 14, 1878, and has since been in the employ of this firm. He was born near Columbus, Columbia County, Wis., February 17, 1858, removed to West Mitchell, Iowa, in 1870, and resided in Iowa until he came here, being at Vinton most of the time. He was married in Nebraska City February 2, 1882, to Ella Ballentine, a native of Brunswick, Mo.
GEORGE W. COVELL, attorney at law, came to Nebraska City, September 16, 1865, and was engaged in teaching a collegiate institute with B. W. Vineyard until June, 1866 in said city. Then he opened a private academy, in which he taught until June 1867, when he was elected principal of the High School, which position he held one year. He was then appointed by the Board of Education Superintendent of the schools of Nebraska City, which position he held a few months, when, in the summer of 1868, he began the practice of the law in Nebraska. He was admitted to the bar, February 18, 1860, by Elijah H. Norton, now on the Supreme Bench of Missouri, at Maysville, Mo., and practiced in Missouri prior to coming to Nebraska. He has been a member of both Houses of the State Legislature. He was born at Hoosick, Rensselaer Co., N. Y., April 2, 1835, and moved to Batavia, N. Y., when three or four years old. There he lived until 1857, when he came to Plattsburg, Mo., and lived there and at Maysville, Mo., until he came here. He was married at St. Joseph, Mo., in September 1865, to Elizabeth M. Hewitt, a native of Baltimore, Md. They have one child, Anna. Mr. Covell is a member of A., F. & A. M., K. of H., and Royal Arcanum.
REV. E. CUSSON, pastor St. Mary's Church, was born in Montreal, Canada, February 14, 1842. He was educated at Montreal in the St. Lawrence College, finishing his studies at Niagara Falls; was ordained March 4, 1871. Shortly after he took charge of the parish at Laramie City, Wyoming; continued there and other points in Wyoming until 1879, when he came to Nebraska City and took charge of his present parish.
L. F. D'GETTE, real estate, was born in Schenectady County, N. Y., September 30, 1841. He resided with his parents until he attained his majority. About 1862 he left home, and lived for a time in Iowa and Minnesota, and in 1863 settled in Nebraska; spent his time in teaching and in looking around until 1867, in which year he settled in Nebraska City. He has been engaged principally in dealing in real estate since 1869. In 1872 he patented an abstract system, now in universal use. He was married in Nebraska City, Neb., December 1, 1870, to Miss Alma Ferrill, of that city. They have two children, John and Mark. Mr. D'Gette's family are members of the Episcopal Church.
SAMUEL T. DAVIES, grocer, came to Nebraska City in May, 1868, and engaged in farming in this vicinity for two years. He then came into town, where his parents resided, and worked at odd jobs for a year. He then commenced clerking in a store, and continued this until he began business for himself, six years ago. Three years ago he discontinued his partnership with Frank Shadsey, and came out with $100 in old stock. Borrowing $500, he started alone, and did a $9,000 business the first year. In 1881 he did about $17,000 in a strictly grocery trade. He was born in Birmingham, England, February 2, 1851, and came to America with his parents in March, 1868. His father was a Baptist clergyman, and preached at Nebraska City and Syracuse for several years. He died here, June 24, 1881. Mrs. Davies survives him, and is successfully practicing medicine here. Mr. S. T. Davies was married at Lincoln, Neb., October 6, 1881, to Ida E. Sargent, a native of Indiana. He is a member of the Baptist Church. He was for one year a member of the School Board, and has been superintendent of the Baptist Sunday school for several years.
M. DERUM, agent B. & M. R. R., in Nebraska, at Nebraska City, was born in County Wicklow, Ireland, December 25, 1846. He came to the United States in 1865 and was connected with different railroads in various capacities, train service principally, until he came to Nebraska in 1871. He located at Plattsmouth and became connected with the B. & M. R. R., in the freight department, came to Nebraska City in 1874 and was appointed to his present position in July, 1880. He was married in Detroit, Mich., in 1872 to Miss Ann Wallace, of that city. They have three children, Kate, Stella and Agnes.
R. H. DICKEY, druggist, came to Nebraska City in January, 1865, and has been in his present business ever since, having begun the drug trade in 1847. He was born in Campbell County, Va., November 10, 1809, and lived there until 1843, then he moved to Brunswick, Mo., and resided there until 1865. He was married in Campbell County, Va., July 10, 1829, to Susan S. Howarton, a native of that county. They have three children, Joseph F., Robert A. and James H.; one daughter, Margaret, died in 1873, aged forty-two. She was the wife of Robert M. Hodge. Mr. Dickey belongs to the Methodist Church and A., F. & A. M., Royal Arch Charter. He has been Probate and County Judge of Otoe County, Neb., for eleven years, from 1866 to 1877.
W. E. DILLON, of the firm of Dillon & Morehouse, real estate and loan agents, was born in Marthasville, Warren Co., Mo., March 1, 1828. He sold goods at Himmes Landing and Rockport, Mo., and St. Deroin, Neb. He came to Nebraska City in 1863 from Rockport, Mo., and engaged in the freighting business on the plains under the firm name of Dillon & Maxon, and at the same time carried on pork packing in East Nebraska City, under the name of Hawke, Dillon & Co. He was in the lumber and livery business from 1869 to 1874, under the name of Monroe & Dillon, then engaged in the mercantile line for about three years, then went into the insurance business and on January 1, 1882, formed a partnership with S. S. Morehouse. He was elected to the Legislature in 1870, served two years as Mayor, and was president and vice-president of the Nebraska City National Bank, for two years each. Mr. Dillon is a member of the A., F. & A. M. He was married in Missouri in 1851, lost his wife in 1861, and re-married in this city in 1863. He has three children living, Ione, Oscar and Lee.