Surface and Natural Products | Early Settlement | Events and Items|
War Record | County Organization | County Roster|
Court House and Jail | Railroads | Ferry and Transfer Companies|
Otoe County Fair Association | Otoe County Medical Society
The Old Settlers' Association | Assessments for Taxation
Nebraska City: Early Settlement | Selling Town Lots | A Judicial Joke|
An Incident of the Panic | An Era of Speculation
Nebraska City (cont.): Transportation and Telegraphs | Incorporation|
Official Roster | Criminal | Education
Nebraska City (cont.): Religion|
Nebraska City (cont.): The Press | Government Offices|
Fire Department | Fires | Societies | Wyuka Cemetery
Nebraska City (cont.): Public Buildings | Hotels | Banks|
Board of Trade | Elevators | Nebraska City Gaslight Company
9 - 14:
** Nebraska City Biographical Sketches **|
| ADLE~DILLON | DRAKE~KEES | KINNEY | KOHN~NEILSON |
| NORTHCUTT~SCHMITZ | SEYMOUR~ZIMMERS |
Syracuse: Education | Religion | Societies | Railroad Interests|
The Press | Biographical Sketches
Syracuse (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Palmyra: Education | Societies | Religion | Business|
Dunbar: Events and Items | Education | Religion | Societies|
Railroad Interests | Delaware Precinct (biographical sketches)
Unadilla: Religion | Societies | The Press | Events and Items|
Wyoming | Camp Creek | Other Towns|
Biographical Sketches: North Branch Precinct | Hendricks Precinct
Osage Precinct | McWilliams Precinct | Berlin Precinct | Minersville
List of Illustrations in Otoe County Chapter
The town of Palmyra is located thirty-four miles west of Nebraska City, in the extreme western part of the county, and on the line of the Nebraska railroad division of the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad. The town was laid out in 1870, on the land of Rev. J. N. Taggart, who donated one-half of his farm for a town site. The first building erected in the new town was built by R. Oakley and used as a general store. He was soon followed by Sylvanus Brown, who put up a hardware store and also handled agricultural implements, and Foster and Garnett, who also built a general store. All these buildings were completed in 1870, although that of Mr. Oakley was begun in 1869. In 1871, Latham and Perry put up the large store now occupied by J. W. Perry. The first dwelling house was that of Mrs. Viola Campbell, built in the spring of 1870. The first hotel was built in 1871, by H. Garnett, and the first physician, Dr. W. S. White, arrived on June 23, of the same year. On the evening of the day of his arrival he nailed his professional card to the side of the hotel and commenced his labors which still continue. The first religious meeting was held in April, 1871, in a schoolhouse which had been erected the previous year, by Rev. Thomas Bell, a Congregational minister. Palmyra's first post office was in the house of Mrs. Viola Campbell, and the service was done by her daughter. Since that time (1870) Victor Baldwin, Conway Severe, R. M. Taggart and Samuel Manchester have successively held the office. The present Postmaster, Samuel Manchester, was appointed June 30, 1881. The office was made a money order one July 5, 1875, and was the first in the county, except of Nebraska City. After being some time kept in Mrs. Campbell's, the office was moved to what is now the Centennial Hotel, and thence in 1876, to J. N. Foster's store, where it is now located.
The first lumber yard was opened in 1871, by Mr. W. B. Smith, on the east side of the town, this was run by Mr. Smith, for Monroe & Dillon, until sold to Mr. J. O. Moore, who managed it for about three years and then sold to Mr. S. Manchester from whom Mr. W. D. Page bought it, Mr. Page sold the business to the Chicago Lumber Company, January 1, 1880. The yard is now in the charge of Mr. R. M. Taggart. The business of the yard amounted in 1881, to 100 cars of lumber.
The first manufacturing interest was developed in 1874, when R. L. Smith built a machine shop and elevator combined, using a windmill to obtain power for both. This business was prosecuted until 1876, when it was moved to Lincoln.
The first mill erected in Palmyra, was built in 1873, by J. J. Gault and Edward Powell, the farmers and citizens subscribing $1,500 toward its construction.
The town had its first public celebration on July 4, 1871, at a grove owned by Mr. J. R. McKee, named the Buzzards Nest, in honor of a certain regular visitant. Judge Mason of Nebraska City was the appointed orator of the day.
The first Sabbath school was held in an old log schoolhouse south of the town, in 1856, by Rev. Mr. Webb, accompanied by five or six others. From this time regular school services were held at the old schoolhouse until 1871. After this the school met in the new school building in the town for several years, until with the growth of the town and the consequent division into church bodies, the Union school was split into its sectarian units.
The first school was taught in the summer of 1870, by John Gale. The first board of school trustees were: J. R. McKee, E. M. Brown and J. N. Taggart. The new school building was erected in 1874, at a cost of $3,300, and is now with its improvements valued at $4,000. The list of teachers since Mr. Gale, is as follows: J. R. McKee, A. H. Hall, Robert M. Taggart and C. D. Rakestraw, the present teacher. The attendance is now 125, and the scholars are separated into two departments, under Prof. Rakestraw and Miss Lizzie Bell.
Palmyra Lodge, No. 30, I. O. O. F., was organized in September, 1871. The first of officers were: J. M. Taggart, N. G.; T. Farnsworth, V. G.; R. M. Taggart, Secretary; S. S. Seeley, Treasurer; Daniel Meikle, I. G. The society had seven members. At the present time the number on the rolls is twenty. The present officers are: John Day, N. G.; A. Reed, V. G; J. O. Moore, Secretary; T. Coles, Treasurer; J. T. Steele, I. G.
The first Masonic organization was Palmyra Lodge, No. 45, A., F. & A. M., chartered in 1874, with the following officers: W. D. Page, W. M.; W. S. White, S. W.; S. S. Seeley, J. W.; I. N. Foster, Treasurer; Augustus Waddington, Secretary; J. O. Moore, S. D.; J. T. Acott, J. D.; Joseph Rudge, T. The present officers of the society are: W. S. White, W. M.; J. A. Tommerhauser, S. W.; O. E. Fox, I. W.; I. N. Foster, Treasurer; John Noble, Secretary; J. O. Moore, S. D.; S. S. Seeley, J. D.; Joseph Rudge, T. The present officers of the society are: W. S. White, W. M.; J. A. Tommerhauser, S. W.; O. E. Fox, I. W.; I. N. Foster, Treasurer; John Noble, Secretary; J. O. Moore, S. D.; S. S. Seeley, J. D.; Joseph Rudge, T.
Mansfield Post, No. 54, G. A. R., was organized, July 20, 1880, and has the following officers: H. Mitchell, C.; George W. Pierson, S. V. C.; George W. Peterson, V. C.; C. Redfern, O. D.; J. O. Moore, Q.; W. H. Bottsford, Surgeon; H. O. McCart, Chaplain; Emmer Palmer, Adjutant; E. B. Slawson, O. G.; G. M. Beach, S. M.; Thomas Beeten, Q. S. The lodge now numbers twenty-six members in good standing.
A lodge of Good Templars was organized in Palmyra in April, 1871, with the following officers: Robert M. Taggart, W. C. T.; I. N. Foster, P. W. C. T. and G. L. D.; Mrs. M. Seeley, W. V.; William Steele, Treasurer; the present officers of the lodge are: S. Baldwin, W. C. T.; Mrs. M. Seeley, W. V. T.; I. N. Foster, P. W. C. T. and L. D.; Thomas Bell, Treasurer.
The Baptist Church of Palmyra was organized in 1871 by Rev. J. Davies. Up to 1879 there was no church building in which to hold services, but in that year the society built a house of worship, dedicating it in June. At that time the church numbered forty communicants. Immediately after the completion of the church a Sabbath school was established, and W. D. Page chosen superintendent. The present membership of the church is fifty, and that of the school about seventy-five.
The Methodist Church was first known as the Saltillo Mission, and was established under that name on March 30, 1865, at the Nebraska City Conference. The church now in use was moved to Palmyra from Bennet in 1874, and put in thorough repair. It is now valued at $500. It has a seating capacity of 150. A parsonage was purchased some time later at a cost of $550. The pastors of the church have been H. H. Skaggs, who remained one year; D. Marquett, T. A. Hull, Charles L. Brockway, A. Brigham, and J. H. Worley, who accepted the charge in October, 880, and still supplies the pulpit. The church now has a membership of forty. In 1876 the Sabbath school was organized as separate from the Union school, which had, during the early days of the town, embraced all sects. The school now enrolls sixty members, and is under the charge of Mr. John Johns.
The Presbyterian Church of Palmyra was first organized as a Congregational one, by Rev. O. P. Merrill, Rev. Thomas Bell was the first pastor of the society, and was followed by Rev. J. H. Rockwell, who has had the following successors: F. Hickok, A. B. Irwin and Rev. O. Compton, the present pastor. The church building was erected in 1872, at a cost of $1,200 and transferred to the Presbyterians in 1876. The society is large and prosperous.
The Catholic Church of Palmyra, is a mission of the Nebraska City German Church, and was established by Father Emanuel Hartig, O. S. B. The church is now under the charge of Father Cusson, of St. Mary's Church, Nebraska City, and is regularly attended by him. The membership is about 300, and the society is out of debt, and prosperous. It is probable that a pastor will soon be assigned to this charge, as its care requires more and more attention, from year to year, and at the same time the duties of St. Mary's become more onerous, and permit the pastor less absence from Nebraska City.
The Palmyra Elevator was built in 1872, at a cost of $1,200, by R. L. Smith, who operated it until July, 1880, when it was sold to George E. Slade. Last year (1881) this elevator handled about 30,000 bushels of grain. The capacity of the building is 5,000 bushels.
The Perry elevator was built in the winter of 1881, at a cost of $3,700. It has a capacity of 13,000 bushels, and handled, in 1881, about 80,000 bushels of grain.
The "Hill elevator" was built at a cost of $1,000, and has a capacity of 5,000 bushels.
The town now has two drug stores, three general stores, two hardware stores, two groceries, two hotels, the Garnett and the Palmyra, three blacksmith shops, and one shoe shop. During the year 1881, there was shipped from this station, over 250 car loads of grain and stock. The present population is 200.
W. H. BAIL, farmer, P. O. Palmyra, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y. November 4, 1821, where he remained until 1835, when he removed to Crawford County, Penn., for four years, and then to Summit County, Ohio, and farmed for one year, then manufactured shingles for three years, and then carpentering until 1852; and from that time until 1855, traveled and worked at his trade and then settled at Fond du Lac, Wis., where he engaged at his trade until 1858, then traveled until 1861 and came to Nebraska. Traveled again until 1865, then took a homestead on Section 14 and 11, Town 8, Range 9, of 160 acres, built a cheese factory, was elected Justice of the Peace in 1868 and served for two terms, and has been on the School Board and Judge of Elections and Road Supervisor for a number of years. Was married to Miss Eliza Stone, formerly of St. Lawrence County, N. Y., in 1865, who came to Ohio in 1840 and married William H. Stone, of Summit county, Ohio. They have two children who are grown to manhood and womanhood.
FRANKLIN BALL, farmer, P. O. Palmyra, was born June 14, 1824, in the town of Alstead, in Cheshire County, N. H., where he served an apprenticeship at mill-wrighting and carpentering and joiners' trade for over ten years. He was married to Miss Susan L. Bullock, of Richmond, N. H. August 10, 1845 and in 1853 moved to Davenport, Scott Co., Iowa, and employed his time in building mills and elevators along the line of the Rock Island Railroad. He put in the machinery in the Eagle Works at Ottawa, Ill., he helped to build the first reaper that was ever made in Iowa; then he superintended the Reaper and Mower Shops at Fulton, Iowa; from there to Scott County, and engaged in farming for six years. He helped to organize Claona Township, was one of the township Judges, and was Justice of the Peace for four years. He served as one of the deputy police in Davenport, during the German liquor riot. He came to Nebraska City in 1868, then to Lincoln and worked on the State capitol, during its erection. He superintended part of the work of building the insane asylum at Lincoln, in 1870. He was married the second time to Miss Sarah C. Young, of Pike County, Ill., February 24, 1870, and settled on 160 acres on Section 28, Town 9, Range 9, where he has since been engaged in farming.
THOMAS BELL, retired farmer, Palmyra, was born in the village of Marton, County York, England, May 21, 1824, and learned the trade of a tailor, was in business on his own account seven years, in the village where he was born. From the age of eighteen years he was an ardent worker in the temperance cause, and at twenty-one began to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, working with his own hands for his support. At the age of twenty-eight he received a call to the pastorate of the Congregational Church, at Great Broughton, Yorkshire, where he labored until the year 1861, when he removed to Parkhead, County Cumberland, laboring there until 1867, when his health failed him. His physicians recommended him to leave the ministry and seek a change of climate; he resolved to emigrate to America. He came direct to Nebraska, reaching here on the 1st of May, 1867, at the head of a company of about 200 persons. He bought a farm of 400 acres, two miles north of Palmyra: here he preached as opportunity offered, ofttimes two or three times of the Sunday, and rode thirty miles to his appointments. After about four years more of this kind he received a commission from the American Home Mission Society, and labored under them for about five years, when he retired from the regular pastorate; during this time he superintended the erection of the Presbyterian Church, at Palmyra. He was married in the town of Stocksley to Miss Elizabeth Reed, August 9, 1849. They have one son and four daughters and have buried three sons in the old county and two sons and one daughter here. He was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace in 1867, and held the office for two terms.
WILLIAM H. BOTSFORD, farmer and harnessmaker, Palmyra, P. O., was born in Livonia, Livingston Co., N. Y., June 4, 1832, then was taken to Seneca County, Ohio, by his uncle; he remained there until 1848, when he was apprenticed to the harness and saddlery business and worked in Seneca and Sandusky counties until April 16, 1855, but was married October 29, 1854, to Miss Margaret A. Johnston, the second daughter of the late Mr. Johnston, a prominent farmer of Seneca County, Ohio, who was killed by a stroke of lightning while sitting in his house enjoying a social time with his family. April 22, 1855, Mr. Botsford went to West Union, Fayette Co., Iowa, where he rented a farm and turned his attention to farming pursuits until March 1, 1863, when he enlisted in Company F., Seventh Iowa Cavalry, as a private and was mustered into service as Sergeant, serving until May 16, 1865. Discharged at Leavenworth, Kas., when he returned home to Iowa, where he remained until May 11, 1870, when he moved to Otoe County, on Section 22, Town 8, Range 9, on a homestead of forty acres, where he made a dugout and lived with his family. All the money he had was one $10 bill, but being willing to work and having his family about, it was a necessity. He lived there until 1878, when he was able by industry and perseverance to build a neat frame house, where he lived as does his old neighbors, in the land of plenty, having made up his mind all he has to do is trust in providence with a strong arm and a willing heart. After fully deciding to make Nebraska his permanent home he bought eighty acres more of railroad land all of which is under cultivation. He has a family of two sons and three daughters, who are doing for themselves, but two, a daughter fifteen years of age and the youngest son who is in the Lincoln University, where he has been nearly three years. Mr. Botsford is a prominent member of the G. A. R., and ranks as Major and is a staunch Republican in politics. He was one of the charter members of the Mansfield Post No. 54, situated at Palmyra.
GEORGE A. BROWN, farmer, P. O. Syracuse; born in Rhode Island, July 22, 1826. In 1856, moved to Providence; engaged in expressing and draying; then to Albany, and engaged in farming in that vicinity; then removed to Rockport, Ill., and bought 320 acres and improved, and in four years sold; from there to the Rocky Mountains, and landed in Denver, Colo., with a herd of cows with the intention of dairying, but sold and carried on the business of freighting and droving to the far West for seven years, in this time seeing exciting times between the Indians and renegade whites. He took his wife and family one trip. The Indians were bound to have, either by barter or theft, his little son, a boy eighteen months old. Mr. Brown, with a common blacksnake whip, boldly repelled a dozen of the thieves and made his escape. In 1866, came back to Nebraska, and settled on Section 30, Town 8, Range 9, where he has a fine improved farm, supplied with all the necessaries; a good orchard of large and small fruits in abundance. Mr. B. is the only member of his family who ever crossed his native State line. His wife is the only member of her family who ever crossed her State line.
GEORGE DeCOW, blacksmith, Palmyra; born at St. Thomas, Ontario, March 24, 1826; from there to Winneshiek, Iowa, in 1850, and engaged in farming; then traveled until 1871, when he came to Palmyra and built his shop and engaged in business for himself. He was married in Winneshiek, Iowa, to Miss Mary J. Everetts, November 7, 1855. They have four children living, one dead. He is a stanch Greenbacker in politics, and a prominent Odd Fellow.
W. J. DOUGALL, farmer, P. O. Palmyra, was born in Schenectady County, N. Y., September 1, 1842, where he remained until 1861, and enlisted in Company E, Forth-fourth New York Infantry, as a private. On the arrival of the regiment in Virginia, he, with nine others, was detached into Battery D, of the Fifth United States Artillery; was wounded in a fight at Sheppardstown: sent to hospital at Harrisburgh, Pa., and discharged; went to Philadelphia and enlisted in Ninety-ninth Pennsylvania Regiment, company E; was wounded severely at Fredericksburg; remained in hospital seven months, then returned to his regiment and served to the close of the war; was discharged July 13, 1865, and went home, where he remained until the spring of 1866, when he came to Nebraska and took up a homestead of 160 acres, on Section 22, Town 8, Range 9. Was married to Miss E. F. Chamberlaine, November 29, 1866. Mr. D. is a prominent member of the G. A. R. They have two sons and two daughters.
W. R. FORSHEY, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Syracuse; born in Calhoun County, N. Y., July 17, 1855, and remained at home until 1862; then to Indiana for two years; worked by the month; then to Nebraska. Engaged as an agent for fruit trees for F. K. Phoenix, of Bloomington, Ill., for two years, and was very successful; then back to the nursery at Bloomington as foreman for one year; then back to Nebraska, where he went to school for two years in the graded school in Syracuse, and went to Kansas, buying and dealing in Texas horses; then back to Nebraska, and engaged in farming and teaching school, and bought forty acres of land, where he lives. Was married November 27, 1880, to Miss M. E. Young, of Onondaga County, N. Y., and have one child. Mr. F. is a staunch Republican in politics.
A. H. HALL, farmer, P. O. Palmyra, was born in Nobleboro, Lincoln Co., Me., August 3, 1849, where he remained until 1868, engaged at his trade shoemaking, and from there went to Beaver Dam, Dodge Co., Wis.; engaged in a foundry and machine shop one year, and came to Otoe County, Neb., and settled on Section 2, Town 8, Range 9; was elected Assessor in 1879; re-elected in 1880, and again in 1881. Was married in 1870 to Miss MeLora E. Merwin, of Palmyra, who was born in 1842, and died November, 1878. She was the second daughter of Samuel Merwin, of Palmyra. Mr. Hall was married a second time, to Miss Nettie J. Hoyt, the third daughter of Riley Hoyt, a retired farmer of Iowa, on June 27, 1880.
WILLIAM JENKINS, farmer, Palmyra, P. O., was born in Wiltshire, England, May 6, 1835, and emigrated to Canada in 1858, and settled in Gray County, Ontario, where he remained a short time, then to East Flambro, Ontario, where he remained about two years, then to Dorchester and remained two years and from there to West Flambro and engaged in farming for five years and not being satisfied came to Nebraska and took a homestead of 160 acres on Section 35, Town 8, Range 9, of college scrip land. He has been Supervisor of the precinct and School Moderator and Treasurer. Married Miss Sarah Purnell of West Flambro, Ontario, December 27, 1861, and have ten children, four sons and six daughters, Lucy P., born October 29, 1862; Hannah, born September 3, 1864; Thomas J. and Josiah, born September 12, 1866; Matilda, born March 7, 1869; Maria, born December 15, 1870; Sarah J., born April 5, 1872; John W., born March 12, 1874; Charles H., born January 15, 1876; Emily May, born September 26, 1881.
T. P. LLOYD, grocer, Palmyra. Dealer in staple and fancy groceries, fruits, stationery, tobacco and cigars. Established by E. B. Slosson in 1879 and carried on by him until January 1, 1880, when Mr. Lloyd bought the stock, trade and premises. Born in Jonesville, Lee Co., Va., October 2, 1855, and remained there until 1871 when he came to Nebraska City and went to the common graded school and college two years and returned home and remained there until 1876, then returned to Nebraska City and engaged in clerking with Lloyd, Wennie & Co., until December, 1881, and returned home again with the intention of settling affairs at home, selling the farm and moving his mother and younger brothers to his newly adopted home, which purpose he accomplished. The subject of this sketch is the eldest son of the late Dr. James T. and Mary Lloyd. The former was born June 30, 1822 in Johnson County, Tenn., and the latter in Hawkins County, Tenn., January 13, 1822. They resided in Lee County, Va., from the time of their marriage in 1844 till the death of Dr. James T. Lloyd, which occurred on the 28th of August, 1876. James T. was the third son of five of Alexander and Mary Ann Wilson. But little is known of their parents only that his great grandfather was a Welshman and came to America when quite a young man and married a Virginia lady of English descent. Mary J. Reynolds Lloyd, wife of Dr. James T., and mother of the subject of this sketch and parents of William and Jane Moore, who lived in Johnson county, Tenn. until the death of his wife, Mary Owen Lloyd, when he soon after moved to Lee County, Virginia, and married a second time to Miss Elizabeth Wells and lived there until 1853, then to Holt County, Missouri, where he permanently settled and lived to see all his family grown and filling honorable positions in life. Mrs. Lloyd, relict of Dr. James T. Lloyd and mother of T. P. Lloyd has lived to see her family grown to the age of man and womanhood although far from her native home. She is the mother of four children and now lives near Palmyra, enjoying the fruits of a well spent life. Her eldest daughter, Mary Catharine, was born May 15, 1845, and married Dr. P. H. Allan, of Lee County, Va., April 17, 1862. Dr. Allan comes from one of the first families in the State and graduated with high honors and is an eminent man and a skillful physician and well respected by all. Minerva Orlena was born March 20, 1850, and married Thomas P. Carnes, a prominent farmer and stock dealer of Creston, Colo., January 1, 1867. Martha W., born May 24, 1853, still lives at home. T. P. also lives at home, the comfort and support of his widowed mother who lives on his farm, situated about one and one-quarter miles from Palmyra.
SAMUEL MANCHESTER, Postmaster, Palmyra, was born in London, England, July 14, 1852, where he received his education and at the age of seventeen entered the employ of I. T. Wagstaff & Co., dry goods, and served for three years. Then, in 1870, emigrated direct to Palmyra and engaged in the lumber business in 1876 and carried on the business three years. In 1879 bought a fruit farm of ten acres and attended to it three years, until 1881, when he was appointed Postmaster. He was married to Miss Etta Moore, of this place in 1876. They have two children.
J. H. McINTIRE, dealer in agricultural implements, wagons and buggies, Palmyra, was born in Havana, Mason Co., Ill., February 18, 1854, and remained at home until 1876, when he went traveling for the Marsh Harvester Manufacturing Co. for two years. Then to Palmyra, and engaged extensively in the agricultural implement business, as described above, where by industry and perseverance he has accumulated a fine property. He was married to Miss Maria E. Morton, of Maquon, Knox Co., Ill., March 17, 1881. Mrs. M. was born in 1862. She was the third daughter of the late Lieutenant John Morton, of Company G, Eighty-third Illinois, who died at the age of forty in a hospital at Fort Donelson, of typhoid fever. He was an active, energetic man, a good soldier, and much thought of by his acquaintances, where he resided for several years, in Maquon, Knox Co., Ill. It is pleasing to know that his life was given to his country, and that he died as he had lived--an honored--an honored member of the noble army of the Republic. Mr. McI. was elected to the position of Postmaster at the Legislature of the State last time.
J. O. MOORE, of the firm of Hill & Moore, steam and water flouring mill, Palmyra; erected in 1874 by Gault & Powell, and bought by the present firm in 1875. The size of the mill is 50x30, and three stories high; has three run of stone; is a wooden structure set on a stone basement; engine capacity, twenty-five horse power; water-power equal to thirty horse; sixteen feet head. Mr. M. has also the general agency for four insurance companies: the Springfield Fire and Marine, Phoenix of Brooklyn, Hartford, Conn., and New York Life, and the Masonic Northwestern Aid Association, and does a general collecting business. He was born in Fulton County, Pa., in 1844, and has a good common school education. Went to the coal regions, and was in an office as weigh-master until August 7, 1862, when he enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Pennsylvania Regiment Infantry, and served until May 18, 1863, when he was discharged at the expiration of his time. He was in the battles of South Mountain, Chancellorsville and Antietam, and received a flesh wound at Antietam. After being discharged he returned to his old position as weigh-master until 1865, when we find him in Washington in charge of one of the Government stables until August. From there he returned home and took charge of his father's barn until March, 1868, when he started westward and settled in Gage County, Neb., and remained there until 1871, then moved to the town of Bennet, and engaged in the grain and lumber trade for one year; and then to Palmyra, still in the grain and lumber trade in company with W. E. Hill of Nebraska City, and carried on that branch of the business until the fall of 1875, when they sold their interest in the lumber business and turned their attention exclusively to the milling and grain business with the Nebraska City Elevator Co. at this point. Mr. Moore has charge of the business here. He was elected to the Legislature in November, 1881.
THOMAS P. MORGAN, farmer and builder, Palmyra, was born in Usk, Monmouthshire, Wales, November 1, 1832, and learned his trade and remained at home until the age of twenty-eight, when he emigrated to New York, where he remained a short time. Then he traveled over the greater portion of the United States and Canadas, and finally settled in Nebraska, on Township 8, Range 9 east, Section 8-- eighty acres, where he has always taken an active interest in the welfare of the country. Where he lives he also takes an active part in school matters. He was elected Justice of the Peace in November, 1881, and has filled that position to the entire satisfaction of those who put their trust in him. He was married to Miss Mary O. Keefe, of London, England, in 1867, and has one son living--William, born May 1869.
W. D. PAGE, hardware merchant; dealer in hardware, tinware, stoves, barbed wire, harness, furniture, wall paper, and undertaking a specialty, Palmyra. Established in 1870 by Mr. Brown as a hardware and stove store in a small building, with limited means. He kept up with the times for a short time, and sold to Mr. W. B. Ronald, who made some changes and enlarged the building, and carried a more extensive stock until July, 1881, when Mr. Page bought the stock, business and property, and now carries on an extensive trade. He was born in Norwich, Norfolk Co., England, December 5 1840, and at. the age of twenty-two learned his trade as a house furnisher in all its departments. He then emigrated to South Africa and engaged in sheep-raising and trading in the interior with the Caffres for four years, then returned to England and engaged in the house-furnishing business for four years, and in 1871 came to Omaha and remained a short time, when he came to Palmyra and engaged in business as above. He was married to Miss Sarah Beamont New, of Penzance, in Cornwall, England, in 1868. They have three children.
R. M. TAGGART, successor to W. D. Page, Esq. Established in 1880, and keeps constantly on hand a choice assortment of dressed and undressed lumber, doors, sash, blinds, building paper and paints. He was born in Macoupin, Ill., in 1848, where he received a good common schooling, and came to Nebraska in 1856 with his parents. He enlisted in 1864 in Company A, First Regiment Nebraska Volunteer Militia, of Nebraska City, and was stationed on the frontier guarding the stage lines from raids made by the Indians, and was discharged at expiration of time. Then went to Chicago, and took a full course at Bryant & Stratton's Business College, and came back in 1866; and in 1867 took a homestead near Palmyra and farmed five years; then got married in 1871 to Miss Ida Seeley, of Palmyra, and moved to Palmyra in 1872, and in 1873 was appointed Postmaster, and held the position until July, 1881, when he took charge of the Chicago Lumber Yard, as above. He is a staunch Republican, and a prominent member of the I. O. O. F., of Palmyra Lodge, No. 30.