Location and Natural Features | Water Powers|
Grain and Fruit Raising | Early History
Early History of Fremont | A Reminiscence|
Organization | Means of Communication|
County Schools--County Poor
The County Agricultural Society
Fremont: Corporate History | Schools | City Park|
Fremont (cont.): The Press | Fire Department | Fires|
The First and The Last Murder | Societies
Business of Fremont | Banks | Shed's Opera House
Fremont (cont.): Hotels | Board of Trade|
Manufactories | Biographical Sketches
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
North Bend: Early History | The North Bend of Today|
North Bend (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Scribner: Biographical Sketches|
Pebble: Biographical Sketches
Hooper: Biographical Sketches|
Cuming Precinct: (Biographical Sketches)
Everett Precinct | Maple Precinct
Union Precinct | Webster Precinct | Elkhorn Precinct
List of Illustrations in Dodge County Chapter
[Portrait of Wilson Reynolds.]
WILSON REYNOLDS, capitalist, Fremont, Neb., has resided at Fremont since the spring of 1856. He located at that time a half section of land, one mile north of Fremont. Since that time he has dealt extensively in live stock and real estate, doing a business of $25,000 per year. He has a ranch in Douglas County, consisting of 1,000 acres. Mr. Reynolds has stocked this ranch with hogs for breeding purposes. He has large quantities of land in Douglas County, amounting in all to 3,000 acres, in addition to the land before mentioned. He is a large land owner in Dodge County, having 1,000 acres in one body, two miles northwest of Fremont, a portion of which is under cultivation. He is also engaged in planting timber on his land, and is one of the most prominent and active advocates of timber planters in Nebraska. He was among the first to engage in it. In Dodge County alone, he has planted altogether 100 acres of timber land. In the spring of 1868, he laid out an addition to Fremont, and has planted many of the trees in the city. It is very largely due to his efforts in this direction that Fremont has so many shade trees. He was also interested with Lee & Blewett in their contract for the grading for the Union Pacific Railroad, and in their railroad contracts in Texas. During the first few years of his residence at Fremont, he traded extensively with the Indians. He was born in Cortland, N. Y., December 25, 1825. When he was twelve old his parents removed to Racine, Wis., where he resided until 1849, when he crossed the plains to California. While on this trip he observed the beautiful country along the Platte River, and became convinced that a railroad would be built in a few years along the Platte Valley. After remaining a short time on the Pacific lope, he returned, and engaged in dealing in live stock, and loan and real estate business. In the spring of 1855, he was married at Racine, Wis., to Miss Morilla Harmon, who was born at Warren, Ohio. She died at Fremont, July 4, 1877, leaving two sons--Cassius and Benjamin Willis. In September, 1878, he married, at Chicago, Ill., his present wife, Mrs. Harriet Byram Chamberlain, who was born at Cortland, N. Y.
[Portrait of E. H. Rogers.]
ELIPHUS HIBBARD ROGERS, second son of Rev. L. C. Rogers, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in Litchfield, Herkimer Co., N. Y., January 12, 1830. In early childhood he met with an accident which crippled one foot through life. But nature had endowed him with an energy and a persistency of purpose which quailed before no obstacle, and made a success in life possible to him, notwithstanding his physical disabilities. At the age of sixteen, he had acquired a good academic education, and commenced teaching school. He took time, however, to attend several terms of the O. C. Seminary, at Cazenovia, N. Y., before he attained his majority, and soon after married Miss Lucy J. Goff, at Augusta, N. Y., and, purchasing a farm in the neighborhood, settled down to the life of a farmer. But he soon found that the amount of hard work required by that avocation was out of proportion to the profits, so he sold his farm and in the spring of 1854 removed to Fort Atkinson, Wis., where he remained until the fall of 1856, when he came to Nebraska, and in the following spring settled at Fremont, then a rude frontier hamlet of three unfinished log houses and a "dug-out." Since that time, Fremont has been his home, and he has been identified with almost every measure for the prosperity and upbuilding of the town. As President of the first Board of Trustees, he procured the title to the town site from the United States, and deeded it in lots and blocks to the rightful claimants. While in Wisconsin, he had begun the study of law, and was admitted to the Nebraska bar in 1858. The next year, he was elected to the Territorial Legislature, and at once took rank as one of the leaders of the House. In the spring of 1860, chafing under the slow, hard times which settled over this new country as a result of the financial crash of 1857, and fired with a towering ambition to do and to be something in the world, he converted his farm wagon into a "prairie schooner," after the manner of the times, loaded his family into it, and went to the mining region, then newly discovered, in the vicinity of Pike's Peak, Colo. Shortly after his arrival, he was elected Judge of the Miners' Court for Russell District, and filled the position with acceptance until the autumn of 1861, when he returned home and resumed the practice of law, to which he soon after added real estate and banking. He also held the office of County Clerk for four years prior to 1867, and for many years filled the position of Deputy Collector of Internal Revenue for his district. In 1866, he was elected to the last Territorial Council, and also to the first State Senate, and honored both bodies by being their President. Occupying so prominent a position at such a time, he had an important part to perform in setting the machinery of the new State Government in motion. In doing this, he gained for himself a reputation for ability and uprightness worthy of emulation. But no sketch of his life would be complete should it fail to point attention to the strong religious element which entered into his composition. Having been favored with early religious training, his mind and heart soon embraced the truths of religion, and he became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church when quite young. During his residence here, he has been twice elected lay delegate to the General Conference of his church, and on each occasion was placed on committees of importance, and acquired a national reputation for his ability in denominational work. At home, he was the main pillar of his church, and by far the largest contributor to its support. Possessing intellectual endowments of a high order, with a genial disposition united with strong religious convictions and unflinching integrity, he was far richer in qualities which would adorn an exalted office than in those necessary to success as a politician. He may have been wanting in cunning; he may have had too great faith in the professions of men to be worldly wise, and he doubtless erred sometimes in judgment, but he was large-hearted, honest, generous, sympathetic and conscientious. He died August 1, 1881, at Vera Cruz, Mexico, just as he was entering upon his duties as United States Consul at that Place. "Peace to his ashes." [This sketch of Mr. Rogers has been kindly contributed to this work by E. H. Barnard, of Fremont.]
L. H. ROGERS, Vice President of First National Bank, came to Fremont March 25, 1857, and engaged in farming. He still owns the original prairie farm, which now has one of the largest groves of forest trees in the county, planted largely by himself in the earlier years of his settlement in Nebraska. In the fall of 1866, he gave up farming and devoted his time to the banking business, with his brother, E. H. Rogers, who had some time before opened the first bank in Fremont, with funds owned by both brothers, and, under the name of E. H. Rogers & Co., the business was carried on, till in April, 1872, its successor, the First National Bank of Fremont, was organized. He was elected Assistant Cashier of that institution, and has been connected with the bank in that capacity until recently, when he was elected Vice President, having also been a Director of the bank since its organization. Lucius Henry Rogers was born in Fayetteville, Onondaga Co., N. Y., March 20, 1834. He was a son of Rev. L. C. Rogers, an itinerant minister belonging to the Oneida Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church in New York.
MANLEY ROGERS, Cashier of First National Bank, came to Fremont October, 1879, since which time he has been the Cashier of this bank. He was born August 2, 1833, at Mount Morris, Livingston Co., N. Y. In 1850, he removed, with his father's family, to Rockford, Ill., and, in 1852, went to Warren, Jo Daviess County, where he engaged in business for himself, and remained there twenty-eight years. Organized the Farmers' National Bank of that place, of which he was the President nine years. Afterward, until his coming to Fremont, of the banking firm of Rogers & Richardson. He is a member of the Board of Education of this city, also a member of the Board of Education of the State Normal School at Peru, Neb., by appointment of Gov. Nance. He was married in Warren, Ill., January 19, 1858, to Maria Abbey, a native of Painesville, Ohio. They have four children--James H., William Eugene, Jennie Aurand and Lucius H. He is engaged in the land interests with Richards & Keene, and also in cattle-raising.
RICHARDS & KEENE, bankers. L. D. Richards and L. M. Keene commenced business January 1, 1882. They do a general banking, real estate and loan business. Lucius D. Richards, of the above firm, was born at Charleston, Orleans Co., Vt., November 26, 1847. He came to Fremont in May, 1868, and engaged in railroading as a civil engineer. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Company I, Fifteenth Vermont Volunteer Infantry; served his time, and re-enlisted in Company K, Seventeenth Vermont Volunteer Infantry; was mustered out in the summer of 1865. He then went to Hannibal, Mo., for a year or two, and in 1867, he went to Iowa and was engaged in civil engineering for the Sioux City & Pacific Railroad. In 1868, was on the survey of that road into Fremont, continued for that company till 1872, when he went to Costa Rica, Central America, and engaged in railroad engineering and construction. In the spring of 1875, he returned to Fremont and commenced the land business, which he has continued down to the present time. He is general agent of the Elkhorn Land and Town Lot Company, having general charge of the management and sale of the lands of this company. He has been Mayor of the city two years. He is now commissioned General of the Nebraska National Guards. He was married at Burlington, Vt., January 9, 1871, to Carrie E. Hills, a native of that place. They have two children--Josephine H. and Fred H. Mr. Richards belongs to the G. A. R., the A., F. & A. M. Chapter and Commandery.
CHARLES SANG, Mayor, Fremont, was born in Waukeemo County, N. C., May 1, 1842. While he was an infant his parents moved to Edgefield District, S. C., living there until he was eight years old, when he moved to Canada. He resided in Canada until his twenty-first year, when he went to Michigan, engaging in contracting in the mining regions until 1868. In the fall of that year, he came to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County, where he has since resided. For several years he was engaged in improving his farm. Since 1874, he has resided at Fremont. In 1877, he became interested in the Fremont foundry with E. M. Maxwell, the firm being E. M. Maxwell & Co. and Sang & Maxwell, which was dissolved in the fall of 1881. The business is now carried on by Charles Sang & Co., W. B. Newlon being the other partner. Mr. S. is a firm adherent of the Democratic party, and is one of its prominent leaders in Dodge County. He was elected County Clerk on that ticket in 1876, serving two terms, being re-elected in 1878. He was elected Mayor of Fremont in the spring of 1881, and re-elected to the same office in the spring of 1882. Is a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 15, A., F. & A. M.
DR. G. O. SCHETTLER, practicing physician and surgeon, located and began practice in Fremont in May, 1881. He was born in Bavaria, Germany, November 18, 1831; began the study of medicine at the age of twenty-one years, entering the Julius Maxamillian University of Wurzburg, and graduated August 26, 1856. He then became Navy Surgeon in Northern German, Lloyd, from May, 1857, until June 22, 1859, at which time he emigrated to America, locating in Philadelphia, Penn., where he practiced until June 21, 1861, then became Assistant Surgeon of One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. Was promoted to Regimental Surgeon June 24, 1863, in which capacity he served until August 28, 1863, at which the time of regiment expired. He soon passed examination in regular service and was appointed Acting Assistant Surgeon at Summit House United States General Hospital of West Philadelphia, Penn., and served until May 5, 1865. He was then sent to the Department of the Gulf, at Key West, Fla.; from there to Cedar Keys, where he took charge of a hospital until July, 1865, when he was appointed Surgeon in Charge of United States Post Hospital of Tallahassee, Fla., where he remained until May, 1868; resigned and returned to Philadelphia, Penn., and became Assistant Surgeon Philadelphia, Penn., Eye & Ear Infirmary, under Prof. P. Keyser and James Collins, and remained until May, 1870, and located in Jefferson, Wis.; practiced until 1879, and located in Schuyler, Neb., and practiced eighteen months, previous to locating at Fremont, Neb. Was married, in Philadelphia, Penn., January, 1860, to Wilhelmina Nau, a native of Wurtemberg, Germany. They have one daughter--Mary Louise. Mr. Schettler is a member of the I. O. O. F., of Jefferson, Wis., also a member of the Ancient Order of United States Workmen, and of the Knights of Pythias.
GUS. SCHRAGE, dealer in books, stationery, toys, wall paper and everything found in the line of novelties, toys and musical instruments, doing a successful business of about $12,000 per annum. He located in Fremont in 1870, remaining two and a half years in the drug business as clerk, then went to Sheboygan, Wis., in same capacity, same year, from thence to Rock Island, four months in same business; then to Dubuque, Iowa, where he remained until March 30, 1875. He then attended college in Sheboygan, Wis., until December, 1876, when he went to Lancaster, Wis., as clerk in a drug store until August 1, 1877; thence to Fremont, Neb., where he was similarly engaged until May 30, 1879. He was born in Sheboygan, Wis., October 3, 1856. He was married in his native place August 21, 1879, to Miss Mary L. End, of the latter place, who was born June 5, 1859.
MORRIS SLOMAN, wholesale dealer in hides, leather, findings, saddlery, hardware, wool, pelts and furs. Established the business in May, 1881. He was born in Detroit, Mich., July 21, 1861. He first began work as a cash boy, in his native city, where he worked about six months, after which, he went into a commission house as general helper a short time. He then entered Bryant & Stratton's Business College, Detroit, Mich., and graduated in September, 1877. He then engaged as book-keeper and cashier for a clothing house in his native city a year, after which he went to Grand Rapids, Mich., then to Atchison, Kan., where he engaged as traveling salesman in the wholesale hide and leather trade, and continued until January, 1882. Previously having established the above business in Fremont, Neb., he is now working for himself.
CHARLES A. SMITH, farmer and stock-raiser, located in Fremont, Neb., the fall of 1856, and engaged in farming and general merchandising with his brothers, J. G. and J. T. Smith, keeping a store about two years. Charles A. then went to Pennsylvania, where he lived five and a half years, engaged in farming, returning in spring of 1864. Clerked for his brothers two years, then engaged in the drug business in company with Dr. J. H. Crabbs, and continued until July, 1874; then retired from active business and took charge of his farm, where he has since been engaged. He owns 300 acres of land, joining town site on northwest, it being one of the first locations in the West. Mr. Smith was born in Wyoming County, Washington Township, Penn., September 5, 1829. Was married, in Fremont, Neb., in 1870, to Mrs. Sylvia C. Cotterell Hart, who was born in New Hartford, Oneida Co., N. Y., October 15, 1833.
[Portrait of James G. Smith.]
JAMES G. SMITH, wholesale and retail dealer in general merchandise at Fremont and North Bend, settled in the present city of Fremont in August, 1856, and was one of its original founders. He was born September 24, 1824, in Wyoming County, Penn., and was married in October, 1853, to Nancy T. Pneuman, of the same place, where they resided until they moved to Fremont. They had two children when they emigrated West, since which more have been added to the number, of which five are now living in order as follows--Bruce E., Lennie L., Roy L., Archie D. and Bessie. Soon after establishing himself in Fremont, he, in company with his two brothers, Charles A. and Joseph T., commenced the business of merchandising in a very diminutive way; there being but few settlers in the country at that time, but little commerce was in demand. The first winter was spent in a dismal dug-out (the family not yet having arrived). The next spring they erected a hewed-log house, 16x24, on the northwest corner of block 125, which served for both store and residence for several years, by making additions from time to time as necessity required. In 1858, Charles A. withdrew from the business, and returned to Pennsylvania on account of ill health, and in 1868, Joseph T. retired from the firm, leaving him to continue alone. He is also interested in farming and stock-raising in the vicinity of Fremont to a considerable extent. He was one of the original members of, and until quite recently, a partner of the firm of Nye, Colson Co., and was one of the organizers and original stock owners of the First National Bank of Fremont, and, although never ambitious for notoriety, nor aspiring for public place, he has not unfrequently been chosen to serve in such capacity, having once been elected County Judge and once a member of the Legislature, besides filling numerous other offices of minor importance. He has ever been prominent in all enterprises pertaining to the elevation and best interests of Fremont and the country generally, and his generous disposition and kindly dealings with his fellows are known and appreciated by the many who have made his acquaintance.
SORENSEN & MADESEN, proprietors Fremont Mill, Fremont; this mill has been build about sixteen years. It is run by steam-power; has four run of stone, and a capacity of eight hundred bushels every ten hours; gives employment to four men, besides the proprietors. It was purchased in the fall of 1881, by the present owners, who have since operated it. They also deal in grain outside of their milling business, shipping grain, flour and feed to St. Louis, Salt Lake and other places. Hans Sorensen, senior partner of the firm of Sorensen & Madesen, was born in Denmark July 23, 1837. He there learned the milling business, and that of millwright. In 1865, he emigrated to America, living in Chicago nearly two years, engaged in contracting and building. He then moved to Nebraska, remaining in Omaha until the early part of 1869, engaged in contracting and building. He then moved to Fremont, where he has since resided, engaged in contracting and building until the fall of 1881. He has built most of the prominent residences in Fremont, besides some of the business houses. He was married, in May, 1869, at Omaha, to Miss Katherina Rasmussen, a native of Denmark. They have one child--Freddie. John Madesen was born in Denmark in 1861; came to America in 1879, locating at Fremont, where he began his present occupation. He was married at Fremont, Neb., in 1881, to Miss Dora Nelson, who is also a native of Denmark.
GEORGE A. STANLEY, County Superintendent of Schools, came to Nebraska in February, 1876, and after two months' stay in Omaha, came to Fremont, where he has since resided; being in poor health, he engaged in farming for six or eight months, after coming here. He then turned his attention to teaching, taking a school about seven miles west of Fremont. He taught there twenty-one months, and was appointed for County Superintendent July 3, 1879. He was elected that fall, and reelected in 1881. He was born in Beaver Township, Beaver Co., Penn., July 9, 1846. That was his home until he attained his majority. He then attended Business College at Pittsburgh, and went from there to Lexington, Ky., where he was employed as a book-keeper; he remained there about three years, being in the revenue service part of that time. He afterward located in Cincinnati, and later in Chicago, prior to coming to Nebraska. He was married, at Fremont, Neb., April 7, 1879, to Amanda Greves, maiden name Shively, a native of Indiana. They have one child--Gracie.
CAPT. E. G. ST. JOHN, farmer, Section 10; born in Sussex, England, in June, 1840. He served twelve years in the English Army; was Captain in the Second Queens and the Twenty-ninth Regiment. In 1865, he was married, in Bermuda, to Miss Isabelle Grantham, a native of Nova Scotia. In 1870, he resigned his commission and emigrated to America; lived in Chicago one year; he then moved to Nebraska, locating in Fremont, where, for a number of years, he engaged in the lumber business. His wife died in 1875, leaving two children--Edward G. and Violet. In the fall of 1879, he purchased his present farm, situated about five miles west of Fremont, consisting of 160 acres, of which 120 acres are under cultivation, twenty-five acres in pasture under fence, and the rest in orchards, groves, etc. He has recently completed an excellent frame house, barn and other buildings. He deals largely in cattle, keeping on hand two hundred head of cattle, and some other stock.
HANS TANK, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Fremont, was born in Holstein, Germany, June 13, 1831. He was there married, November 8, 1857, to Miss Anna Catherina Tank. They have ten children--Maggie, the wife of Fred Geatean, living at Cheyenne; Fred, Detleff, Linna Anna, Lissa, Henry, Mary, Christ, and Minna. He has a farm of 320 acres, 160 acres in cultivation; has 120 acres adjoining on Section 25, ninety acres in cultivation. Has all of Section 35, and 160 acres of Section 25, 145 acres in cultivation, and the rest of his land being grass land. He keeps a small number of cattle, sixty head of hogs, and several head of horses. He emigrated to America in 1869, coming to Nebraska and locating at his present residence in Dodge County in that year.
CAPT. WALTER TAYLOR, Constable, Fremont. Has held the office of Constable since January 1, 1880. Was first elected in the fall of 1879, and was re-elected in 1881. He is a Republican and was elected on that ticket. He has also held the office of Justice of the Peace. He has resided at Fremont since May, 1875. He was born in Chincefield, Mass., April 13, 1813. When he was quite young his parents moved to Keene, N. H., where he lived until 1838. He was married, at Walpole, N. H., in October, 1834, to Miss Elvira Walker. Four children were born to them, all of whom died during the first three years of the late war. He moved to Bellows Falls, Vt., in 1838, living there until he moved to Nebraska. For twenty-seven years, he was Deputy Sheriff and Sheriff of Windham County, Vt., and Chief of Police of Bellows Falls. He organized a uniformed company at Bellows Falls, in 1855, and was its Captain several years. He raised the first company of cavalry at Bellows Falls in the rebellion, and was elected Captain, but owing to sickness in his family, he was compelled to resign before reaching the field. He is a member of Order of I. O. O. F. His wife died at Fremont, January 3, 1882.
N. B. THOMAS, dealer in furniture, Fremont, has been in the furniture and undertaking business at Fremont since April, 1880; carried a stock of $3,000 to $5,000; does a cash business of $20,000 per year. He was born in Susquehanna County, Penn., August 20, 1837. When ten years old he went to Philadelphia, and began to learn the carpenter's trade, he lived there ten years, and then went to Scranton, Penn., and helped build the first coal break used there. Next year he went to Janesville, Wis., living there about ten years, working at his trade of carpenter and builder. He next resided at Aurora, Ill., about five years; he then went to California, remaining there about a year; he next went to Minneapolis, where he engaged in contracting and building, and the business of millwright, which he had learned prior to that time. He assisted in the erection of the mills there, after the destruction there a few years ago. He moved to Fremont in the spring of 1880, engaging in the furniture and undertaking business. He has lived in various other places, engaged in contracting, and building, and millwright. He is a member of Mount Tabor Commandery, No. 9, K. T., at Fremont, Neb. He was married at Janesville, Wis., in September, 1864, to Miss Pamelia Eldridge, who is a native of Washington County, N. Y. They have three children--Hattie, Jesse and Nathan B.
W. D. THOMAS, Fremont, has resided in the West since 1856; he was engaged in freighting across the plains to Denver, Kearney, and other places till 1864, making Elkhorn his home during that time. He then engaged in merchandising at Kearney, until the spring of 1867, when he went into the forwarding commission business, at North Platte, Neb., and continued in that business following up the Union Pacific Railroad to Corinne, when he and his partner sold out their business, during the summer succeding the completion of the road to that point. He then located at Fremont, building his present residence in the fall of that year; since that time he has been engaged in business of various kinds. He is at present engaged with other parties merchandising in Idaho. He was born in Clermont County, Ohio, January 11, 1832, living there, on his father's farm, until he came West. His father, Col. William Thomas, was born August 16, 1801, at Redstone, Fort Washington Co., Penn., and married in November, 1825, to Miss Eliza Doan sister of Dr. William Doan, of Williamsville, a Congressman from that district, from 1839 to 1843. William D. is the second of a family of five children, having three sisters and one brother. He was married at Fremont, January 12, 1868, to Miss Velona Toncray, daughter of Horace and Ann E. Toncray. She was born in Livingston County, Mich. They have three children--Lizzie, William D. and Ramond B. He is a prominent member of the Masonic order, being a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 15, Signet Chapter, No. 8, and Mount Tabor Commandery No. 9, K. T., at Fremont. He is a Democrat as is his father, who is still living.
W. H. TURNER, dealer in groceries, provisions, queensware, etc., Fremont, has been in present business at Fremont, Neb., since June, 1873; carries a stock of $5,000; has a large retail trade amounting to $35,000 per year. He was born in Needham, Mass., in 1843. His father dying, his mother moved to Dubuque, with her children, in 1856. They moved to Nebraska, locating at Fremont the next year. His mother kept the first hotel at Fremont; she operated it until 1863. For several years the subject of this sketch and his brothers were engaged in freighting across the plains. In October, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, Second Nebraska Volunteers, serving nearly a year. In 1866, he began work on the Union Pacific Railroad, as a contractor, remaining in that business until the road was completed. He then returned to Dodge County, engaging in farming until he entered his present business. He is a member of the Masonic and K. of H. orders at Fremont, Neb. He was married at Fremont, Neb., in the fall of 1870, to Miss Lucinda Gilley, who was born in Maine. They have two children--Maud and Nona.
GEORGE TURNER (deceased). Mr. Turner was born in England, September 5, 1829. He was the son of John and Margaret Turner, who emigrated to America when he was an infant, locating at Needham, Mass., where his father introduced the first loom for the manufacture of hosiery. In 1849, he went to California, being among the first to visit the Pacific coast. He was then engaged in mining and dealing in live-stock, chiefly in hogs, until 1855, when he was summoned home by news of the death of his father. He remained in Massachusetts about one year and a half, and in April, 1856, married Miss Nancy S. Gilley, a native of Hancock County, Me., and daughter of Elisha and Hannah Gilley. Four children have been born to them, three of whom--George Alfred, Eddie Gilley and Nancy Eliza--are living. In June, 1856, he moved with his family to Dubuque, Iowa, where he engaged in freighting between Dunleith and Dubuque. The next year he moved to Nebraska with his wife and his mother's family, locating at Fremont. He there engaged in trading with the Indians for one year, and then began freighting across the plains to Denver, following that business until 1866, when he and his brothers began sub-contracting on the Union Pacific Railroad which was then building, continuing in that business until the road was completed to Ogden. He soon afterward returned to Fremont, engaging in the wholesale and retail grocery business with W. R. Wilson, until his death, June 10, 1870. He was closely identified with the early history of Fremont and Dodge Counties, taking an active part in all public matters. He was a leading Democrat; he was one of the first Commissioners of Dodge County, holding that office eight years. He gave the right of way to the Union Pacific Railroad through Fremont, and laid out an addition to the town, known as Turner's Addition.
USHER & WILSON, auction rooms, Fremont, have been in business, since June, 1881; carry a stock of cigars, notions, new and second hand furniture, trunks, etc., and deal in buggies and other vehicles. They do an average business of $500 per month.
E. C. USHER was born in Madison County, N. Y., in January, 1832, living there on a farm until 1855, when he moved to Knox County, Ill., engaging in farming until 1857, when he moved to Nebraska, locating on a farm in Dodge County. He afterward went to freighting across the plains, following it about five years; he then engaged in the furniture and undertaking business at Fremont, for fifteen years. He then visited the Black Hills, and other places, and on his return to Fremont went into his present business with Thomas Wilson. He was married in Madison County, N. Y., in 1853, to Miss Betsey M. Nye. Mr. U. is a Republican in politics, and has held the office of Probate Judge, of Dodge County two terms, and Police Judge at Fremont two terms. He is a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 859, Knights of Honor.
JOHN W. VARS, Superintendent of Dodge County Poor, Fremont; was appointed, April 20, 1878, since which he has acted in that capacity. He located in Fremont, Neb., July 24, 1873, and engaged in the grocery business until August, 1876, then into the loan business about two years. He was born in Otsego County, N. Y., October 10, 1821; was brought up on a farm; emigrated to Marquette County, Wis., in 1847, arriving in June of that year, and followed farming and held various town offices; was Justice of the Peace over twelve years. He removed to Blue Earth County, Minn., in May, 1864, where he farmed five years; then moved to Waseca County, Minn., where he was Postmaster, Justice of the Peace, Police Justice and insurance agent until July, 1873. He was married in Otsego County, N. Y., January 2, 1842, to Miss Livina Brown, a native of Otsego County, N. Y.; born February 11, 1820. They have three children--Denzel A., now married and living in Fayette County, Iowa, engaged in mercantile business; Mary Elvira, now married to William Davidson, and living in Waseca County, Minn.; John W., now married and living in Albert Lea, Minn., and Assistant Revenue Collector.
CHARLES B. VEAZIE, of the firm of Pilsbury & Co., dealers in a general line of hardware, stoves, tinware, wagons and buggies, paints, oils, glass and putty, Fremont. He came to Fremont, Neb., May 2, 1879, and was book-keeper for Cole & Pilsbury, until January 1, 1882, when he bought out Mr. Cole, and became a partner in the above firm of Pilsbury, Veazie & Co. He was born in De Pere, Wis., April 27, 1840; moved to Bangor, Me., in the spring of 1846, where he learned the cabinet-maker's trade, working at the same until he enlisted April 25, 1861, in Company G., Second Regiment Maine Volunteer Infantry. He participated in the first battle of Bull Run, then in the Peninsular campaign under Gen. McClellan, after which he was sent to the U. S. Army General Hospital, in West Philadelphia, Penn., where he remained from September, 1862 to March 29, 1863, when he was discharged for disability contracted in the service. He then returned to Bangor, and in June of the same year accepted a position on Government work at Fort Knox, Me., where he remained until the spring of 1865, when he returned to Bangor and again engaged in cabinet-making, until the spring of 1866, when, being burnt out, he went to Belfast, Me., and took charge of a cabinet shop until the spring of 1868, when he went to Bucksport, Me., and opened a furniture store, where he remained until 1871, and sold out; engaged in same business again until he came to Fremont, excepting a year, when he was engaged for the U. S. Government at Hurricane Island, Me. He was married in Bucksport, Me., May 14, 1865, to Miss Addie R. Pilsbury, of the latter place. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity of Maine.
[FREMONT LIVERY AND SALE STABLE, Tom Wilson, Proprietor.]
THOMAS WILSON, of the firm of Usher & Wilson, Fremont, was born in Lorain County, Ohio, eighteen miles west of Cleveland, in 1834. When sixteen years old he went to Michigan, obtaining employment as driver on the stage lines in that State five years. He then went to Indiana, engaging in the same business about a year; he then returned to his home in Ohio, remaining about a year. He then came West, locating first at Palmyra, Mo., where he established the first drays in use there. He then went to Iowa, engaging in farming and stage business. In 1859, he married in Pottawattamie County, Iowa, Miss Elizabeth Clark. In the spring of 1860., he moved to Nebraska, locating on Maple Creek, in Dodge County, on a farm where he lived five years. His wife died in August, 1865. During this time he served about a year in Company A, Second Nebraska Volunteers, in Gen. Sulley's Indian campaign. In 1867, he opened the first livery stable in Fremont, carrying on the business until 1874. when he sold out, and moved to West Point, Neb., engaging in the same business four years. He returned to Fremont in March, 1878, and purchased the stable he had formerly owned, where he now carries on his livery business. He was burned out in 1879, and for a short time, while his stable was being rebuilt, he carried on the business at another stable. He has twenty-five head of horses and fifteen vehicles in his stable; does a general livery feed and sale business. His livery and feed business averages $300 per month, and his sales to $4,000 per year. He employs four men. Since June, 1881, he has also been a partner in the auction room of Usher & Wilson. He is a Democrat, and was twice elected City Marshal of Fremont, and has been Chief of Police of Fremont since April, 1881; he was also City Marshal at West Point for three years; was elected the fourth for the fourth term. In July, 1867, he married, in Dodge County, Neb., Miss Martha Glidon, a native of Cleveland, Ohio. They have three children--Wallace, Lucy and Alice.