Location and Natural Features | Water Powers|
Grain and Fruit Raising | Early History
Early History of Fremont | A Reminiscence|
Organization | Means of Communication|
County Schools--County Poor
The County Agricultural Society
Fremont: Corporate History | Schools | City Park|
Fremont (cont.): The Press | Fire Department | Fires|
The First and The Last Murder | Societies
Business of Fremont | Banks | Shed's Opera House
Fremont (cont.): Hotels | Board of Trade|
Manufactories | Biographical Sketches
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
North Bend: Early History | The North Bend of Today|
North Bend (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Scribner: Biographical Sketches|
Pebble: Biographical Sketches
Hooper: Biographical Sketches|
Cuming Precinct: (Biographical Sketches)
Everett Precinct | Maple Precinct
Union Precinct | Webster Precinct | Elkhorn Precinct
List of Illustrations in Dodge County Chapter
Nine miles northwest of Hooper, on the Sioux City & Pacific road--Elkhorn Valley Branch--is the village of Scribner, situated in the eastern part of the town of Pebble. It has grown into a village of 225 people, and does a large business in grain, stock and lumber. Few stations on the line of the road differ in the general character of their business prosperity--only in the amount transacted. It is estimated that Scribner's transactions in the grain and stock lines amount to $200,000 annually and as much more in general trade, while its lumber business aggregates about $40,000; therefore, its total annual trade is not far from half a million dollars, which surely speaks in eloquent commercial terms for a village of a little over 200 people.
As a village, Scribner dates from the time of its platting by John I. Blair, proprietor, and L. D. Richards, Surveyor, which event occurred in April, 1871. In 1873, M. H. Hinman built the first grain elevator, the one now owned and operated by Baker & Crowell. The same year, the depot and section-house were erected. In August, 1874, G. C. Kerkow, present County Clerk, opened a general store in the village, and, in October, C. D. Gardanier, now his assistant, established another. W. B. Gardanier, the brother of the latter, came at the same time. In July of this year, George Horton built the Scribner House, now operated by August English, the Farmers' Hotel being erected in 1875. John Erb is the present proprietor. It was also during this year that John M. Diels and J. O. Milligan erected their elevators. The firm of Milligan & Hassen have added to their large business the manufacture of feed, running a good mill. Mr. Milligan is also proprietor of a large general store and deals in agricultural implements. He is also an extensive dealer in stock. J. M. Diels & Son are prominent dealers in stock and lumber. Messrs. Baker & Crowell, however, lead in the latter particular. C. D. Gardanier and John Romburg manufacture brick, their yard being half a mile north of the village.
The general business directory of Scribner makes the following very good exhibit: Three steam grain elevators, two lumber yards, one feed mill, one brick yard, two agricultural implement depots, two drug stores,--general stores, two harness shops, one hardware shop, two black-smith shops, two furniture stores, one millinery store, one saloon, two livery stables, one butcher shop and two hotels.
The village contains a good graded school taught by Mrs. A. C. Malloy and Miss Kittie Rochford; also has two religious societies--the Methodist and Congregational--but no church buildings. These societies, however, are about to be accommodated.
The Congregational Church located at Scribner was organized at Pebble December 28, 1871. At the first meeting, Rev. Thomas Douglas, of Fontenelle, was chosen Moderator and John Cayton, Secretary. The first members were Andrew Warwick, Sarah Warwick, Nina C. Cayton and Maria Wright. The first Trustees wee T. W. Putman, Matthew Wright and John Cayton. Rev. Andrew Warwick was called as pastor. After his death, the church had no regular pastor until 1876, when Rev. L. E. Benton was called. In that year the church was moved to Scribner and has since been known as the Scribner Congregational Church. John Gordon and Ferdinand Kohn were the first Deacons. In 1879, Deacons Gordon and Kohn and Mr. McBain were elected Trustees. Rev. A. Doremus was called as pastor in October, 1879, continuing one year. The church has now twenty-two members and has just completed an excellent building at a cost of about $1,600. The present minister is Rev. M. B. Harris.
BAKER & CROWELLS (J. L. Baker and the firm of C. C. and Z. A. Crowell), dealers in grain, lumber, coal, live-stock, etc., Scribner. The firm has been doing business since July 1, 1881. Their elevator has a capacity of 11,000 bushels. They do a very large business, handling 450 cars of produce of all kinds, and 100 cars of lumber, coal, lime, etc.; are also preparing to handle live-stock. They also receive money deposits, issue drafts, and expect to do a general banking business.
J. L. BAKER, was born near Boston, Mass., October 11, 1854. He attended school at Dean Academy and at the Friends School, at Providence, R. I., taking there a preparatory course, and receiving a good common-school education. He also received excellent business training; was in the commission business, for other parties, three years; then engaged in the fishing business, fitting out vessels, etc.; afterward became interested in the Cape Cod National Bank, of which he was Director two years. In the early part of 1881, he left Boston, traveling several months looking for a location for business. In July, he located at Scribner in present business. He is also agent for the lands and lots of the S. C. & P. R. R. He is a member of the Masonic order. He is the son of J. K. and Hannah F. Baker. His father, J. K. Baker, is a prominent citizen of Eastern Massachusetts. He represented his district in the State Legislature six years; two years in the House of Representatives and four years in the Senate, and was a member of the Governor's Council three terms.
J. J. BARGE, Justice of the Peace, Scribner, was born in Hanover, Germany, September 6, 1843. Emigrated to America in July, 1859, living in Northern Illinois, working two years for an old Indian chief, and three years at Mendota. He then visited Germany; returning to America in 1865, he lived at Mendota until 1867. In the fall of that year, he went to Bloomington, and worked on a farm a few months; was afterward employed in the sewing machine business, and as a clerk in the post office at Bloomington. He again visited the Old Country, remaining about a year, when he returned to this country. He went to Oregon a short time after his return, remaining there a year. He then came to Nebraska, locating on a farm near West Point. He was there married July 2, 1872, to Miss Louisa Augusta Elwine, who was born in Alt Trebbin, Province of Brandenburg, Prussia. They have three children living--Maria, Joachim F. W. and Dora Cascade. After a residence of four years near West Point, he again visited the Pacific Coast, living in Oregon until the fall of 1879, when he returned to Nebraska, locating at Scribner, where he has since resided. He was appointed Justice of the Peace for Pebble Precinct, to fill a vacancy, January 1, 1880, and was elected in the fall of 1881. He has a large collection business which he makes a specialty. He is also engaged in fire and life insurance, and is the agent of the North German Lloyd Steamship Company. Mr. Barge is a Democrat, and takes an active part in political matters in his county. He is a member of West Point Lodge, No. 52, I. O. O. F.
JAMES BOOTH, contractor and builder, Scribner, was born near Manchester, Cheshire, England, February 29, 1836. He learned the trade of carpenter and builder. He was married there in February, 1861, to Miss Sarah Jones, who died in 1863, leaving one child--Elizabeth. He came to America in November, 1863, locating in Lawrence, Mass., where he was employed at working at house building, and two years as wood-worker in the machine shops. He afterward went to Cleveland, Oswego Co., N. Y., where he was employed in boat building. He there married Miss Sharon Wilkinson, who was born in Yorkshire, England. He came to Nebraska in 1868, working two years in the Union Pacific Railroad car shops. During the latter part of that time he was foreman of the framing department. In 1870, he moved to Dodge County, locating on Section 20, Town 20, Range 7, and engaged chiefly in farming for several years, doing at times some contracting and building. He built most of the houses between Cuming Creek and Elkhorn River; he has 320 acres in his farm, 280 in cultivation, forty in pasture fenced in with lumber. His farm is carried on by a tenant. He has also 120 acres in Section 30, eighty acres under fence, the rest hay land. He has upward of fifty head of cattle, mostly cows. He is a member of the West Point Lodge, No. 27, A., F. & A. M., at West Point, Neb.
JOHN M. DIELS & SON, dealers in grain, lumber and live-stock, Scribner, do a large business, shipping 150 cars of grain, 100 cars of live-stock, and receiving 100 cars of lumber, twenty-five cars of coal, and a considerable quantity of lime, cement, etc., annually. Their elevator has a capacity of 6,000 bushels. John M. was born in Amsterdam, Holland, October 24, 1830; emigrated to America in 1857, locating in Brooklyn, N. Y., and carrying on a meat market for several years. He was married there in July, 1859, to Miss Annie Kuhn, who is also a native of Amsterdam. They have eight children--Gustave A., John A., Adolph, Rickie, Frank, Henry, Annie and Eva. In 1865, he moved from Brooklyn to Fremont, Neb., where he carried on a meat market and pork packing business until 1874. In that year he moved to Scribner, and established his present business. He is a strong Democrat, taking an active interest in politics. At present he is a member of the Scribner Town Board. Gustave A. Diels, junior partner of above firm, was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., July 24, 1860. He has for several years been actively engaged in business with his father, and is now a partner.
HORTON & GARDANIER, druggists, Scribner, have been engaged in business for the past two years. The business was established in 1875, by C. T. Horton, who carried it on until W. B. Gardanier became a partner, in January, 1880. They carry a stock of drugs, notions, books, etc., of over $2,000, and have a large trade. W. B. Gardanier was born in Calhoun County, Mich., December 27, 1843, living there until 1862, when he enlisted in Company A, Eighth Michigan Cavalry; promoted to First Sergeant till the close of the war; was in the Army of the Cumberland and the Army of the Tennessee. After his discharge, he returned to Michigan, living there until the summer of 1869, when he came to Nebraska and engaged in the grocery business at Fremont until 1871, when he moved to Pebble. He there had a general store. He then moved to Scribner and built the store now occupied by J. O. Milligan, being about the first store in Scribner. He then engaged in general merchandising about three years, when he sold out. In January, 1880, he became a partner in present business. He was married in Scribner, Neb., February 11, 1875, to Miss Matilda Hasson, daughter of William and Ann Hasson. She was born in New York City. They have three children--Effie A., Fracelia and Inez. He is a member of Hooper Lodge, No. 72, A., F. & A. M. He is a Republican; has held the post office at Scribner since its establishment, in 1875. He has been a member of the School Board, and is now a member of the Scribner Town Board.
C. T. HORTON, partner of the firm of Horton & Gardanier, Scribner, was born in Holmes County, Ohio, April 27, 1843, living there until fourteen years old, when his parents moved to Henry County, Ill. He lived there until 1870, when he moved to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County. He engaged in farming until 1875. He then moved to Scribner and engaged in the drug business, carrying it on alone until January, 1880, when W. B. Gardanier became a partner. He was married in Henry County, Ill., April 20, 1867, to Miss Rosa Anderson, who was born in Sweden. They have five children--Carrie, Clista, Elsey, Edward and Francis.
MILLIGAN & HASSON, dealer in grain and live-stock, Scribner. They are largely interested in grain and live-stock. They have an elevator with a capacity of 10,000 bushels of grain and large stock-yards adjoining. They ship annually 130 cars of corn, eighty cars of wheat, sixty-five cars of hogs, forty cars of cattle and thirty cars of sheep, besides a considerable quantity of other grain. Robert C. Hasson, junior member of the above firm was born in Bureau County, Ill., August 31, 1856, living there until March, 1869. His parents moved to Polk County, Iowa, living there three years; they then went to Dodge County, Neb., locating on a farm in the northwestern part of the county. He lived on the farm with his parents until the spring of 1877, when he took a trip to the Black Hills. He returned to Scribner and obtained employment as a clerk in the store of J. O. Milligan, remaining there a little over a year. He was then employed as station agent and operator for the St. P., M. & O. R. R., at Blair, Neb., which position he held until February, 1881, when he returned to Scribner, entering into his present business into partnership with J. O. Milligan. He is the son of Jacob C. and Isabella Hasson.
JOHN O. MILLIGAN, merchant, Scribner, was born in Stark County, Ohio, February 1, 1841. When he was quite young his parents moved to Bureau County, Ill. In 1862, he enlisted in Company, C, Ninety-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving until December, 1863, when he was discharged on account of disability. He was then employed as clerk in the Quartermaster's department, at Nashville, Tenn., until 1865. He then returned to Bureau County, Ill., where, in December, 1865, he married Miss Katie Neff, who was born in Muskingum County, Ohio. They have eight children--Joseph L., Julian I., Urana, Dora M., Gertrude B., Emma, John O., and Granville. Soon after his return from the army, he moved to Keokuk County, Iowa, where he lived until the spring of 1869, when he moved to Nebraska, locating on Maple Creek in Dodge County. He was among the first settlers in that vicinity. He has there a farm of 2,160 acres, 1,200 under cultivation, the rest being in grass land, of which 320 acres are under fence. He sold during the year 1881, live-stock from his farm, cattle, sheep and hogs to the amount of $30,000, the greater part being cattle. He feeds on his farm 300 to 500 head of cattle per year. The cultivation of his land is carried on by tenants. In addition to his farming, and live-stock and grain interest, he has a large general store in Scribner, which he carries on himself. He carries a stock of $20,000, including general merchandise and agricultural machinery. He has also a branch house at Wayne, Neb., where he carries a stock of lumber, coal and agricultural implements amounting from $8,000 to $10,000. He is a strong Republican, and prior to his removal to Scribner, he was one of the most prominent and active leaders of the Republican party in the county. His extensive business interests prevent his active participation in politics.
WRIGHT & WHELPLEY, dealers in general merchandise, Scribner, carry a stock of $6,000, and have a good trade, which is rapidly increasing. The store was opened in June, 1881, by J. A. Wright, who carried it on until the following December, when L. D. Whelpley became a partner.
L. D. WHELPLEY, junior partner of above firm, is the son of D. W. and Sarah A. Whelpley, was born in Ithaca, N. Y., April 22, 1858, living there fourteen years. His parents then moved to Nebraska, locating at Fremont. For nearly seven years he was in the employ of H. Fuhrman, of that city.
JOHN A. WRIGHT, son of Matthew Wright, was born in Jefferson County, Penn., June 14, 1855, living there until ten years old, when his parents moved to Nebraska, residing a few months at Omaha, afterward at Papillion, Sarpy County, until 1869, when they moved to Pebble, Dodge County. He clerked three years at Pebble in the store of W. B. Gardanier, and continued in his employ at Scribner until the store was purchased by J. O. Milligan, in whose employ he continued until February, 1881. In June following, he opened the store now owned by Wright & Whelpley. He married at West Point, Cuming County, Neb., Miss Ella C. Owen, daughter of Samuel E. and Charity Owen. She was born in Knox County, Ohio. They have two children--Viola and Arthur.
Among the early settlers of the county and those best known is J. B. Robinson, who settled on the east side of Cuming Creek, on Section 21, Township 20, Range 7, in 1859. In 1869, he removed on to Section 36 (school land), on the other side of the stream. When he first arrived from Illinois, in 1859, he found as neighbors Thomas and Samuel Fox and D. A. Hunter, who had emigrated from the same State the year before. They had drawn up a paper town called Galena, but it never prospered further than to receive a christening. In 1868, Mr. Robinson and H. J. Robinson built a saw-mill, which did a large amount of work, the banks of the stream then being heavily timbered and driveways being scattered thickly along its course. In localities, the land was even wooded quite a distance from the creek. The saw-mill was operated but a year and a half, assisting materially in the construction of the grist-mill, which was erected in 1869. The latter passed into the hands of H. J. Robinson, who did not operate it long, being pressed financially. J. B. Robinson and Matthew Wright then formed a partnership, which continued uninterruptedly until 1878, when the former bought his interest and became sole proprietor. The mill has three run of stone with a capacity of 150 bushels daily. The head of water at the dam is twelve feet.
In the year, 1870, Pebble was surveyed by F. W. Wirminghaus, County Surveyor, the proprietors being James B. and H. J. Robinson. The plat was recorded August 19 of that year. As the village was not located on the line of the Elkhorn Valley road, the new settlement of Scribner soon outstripped it. It consists at present of but a few families, a post office, a schoolhouse, sheltering some forty-five pupils, a general store, a blacksmith shop and the grist-mill owned by Mr. Robinson.
Logan, on the east bank of the Elkhorn, two miles northeast of Hooper, on Logan Creek; Webster, west of the central part of the county, and Nickerson, a few miles north of Fremont, on the Elkhorn Valley road, are points of minor importance. The latter, however, was platted in 1871 (John I. Blair, proprietor), and promises to grow into considerable of a village.
WILLIAM GORDON, farmer, Section 33, Town 20, Range 6, P. O. Pebble, was born in Aspatria, Cumberland County, Eng., June 12, 1854. He came to America in 1869, living in Onondaga County, N. Y., three years, engaged in gardening, which was his business in England. In 1872, he returned to England, remaining until 1875, when he returned to America and located in Pebble Precinct, Dodge County, Neb., where he has since resided. His farm consists of eighty acres, sixty acres being in cultivation, the rest grass land. He keeps a few head of cattle and horses, and an average of seventy head of hogs. He was married at Scribner March 13, 1879, to Mrs. Sarah Warwick, widow of Rev. Andrew Warwick. Mr. G. is an active member and Secretary of the Congregational Church at Scribner.
JOHN GORDON, farmer, Section 34, Town 20, Range 6, P. O. Pebble, was born in Aspatria, Cumberland County, Eng., September 24, 1842. He emigrated to America in 1869, locating in Cortland County, N. Y., working on a dairy farm for three years. He then went to Dane County, Wis., where he remained until March, 1872. In that year he came to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County. He married at Glencoe, Dodge County, Neb., February 20, 1873, Miss Melinda C. Lewis, who was born in Franklin County, Penn. Mr. G. has a good farm of 200 acres in cultivation, the rest being grass and timber land. It is well suited for stock-raising, in which he is quite extensively engaged. He deals also quite largely in horses. He is a Deacon and Trustee of the Congregational Church at Scribner.
T. W. PUTNAM, farmer, Section 25, Town 20, Range 6, P. O. Scribner. He was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., March 23, 1831, living in that county until he was twenty-four years old. He then went to Juneau County, Wis., remaining three years. He next went to Wabasha County, Minn., residing there ten years. During the succeeding two years he lived in Iowa and Missouri, going to Nebraska in October, 1869, and locating in Dodge County, where he has since resided. He has a well-improved farm one mile west of Scribner, consisting of 120 acres, 100 acres under cultivation, the rest being hay land. He keeps a few head of cattle and feeds from forty to fifty head of hogs annually. He has a nice young orchard, consisting of various kinds of fruits, and covering an acre and a half, nearly surrounded by a fine grove of young timber. He was married in Chautauqua County, N. Y., October 1, 1855, to Miss Lucretia W. Town. They have six children--Ella, who married William Wright, Willis, Albert, Fred., Cora and Mary. Mr. P. is a leading member and a Steward of the M. E. Church at Scribner, of which his family are members. In politics he is a Republican.
J. B. ROBINSON, merchant and miller, was born near Lewisburg in Union County, Penn., January 17, 1821. He was married in that county May 19, 1842, to Miss Caroline Staughton, who was born in Northumberland County, Penn. They have seven children living, two sons and five daughters--William, married to Miss Shepherd; Mary, married to S. B. Parks, of Cuming Precinct; Alice, married to Wesley Conley; Charles W., married to Miss Parks, Ella, married to Alba H. Briggs; Emma, married to R. L. Graham; and Carrie, who is still at home. Mr. R. resided in Union County, Penn., until 1849, when he moved to Jackson County, Iowa, where he remained two years. He then moved to Jo Daviess County, Ill., living there until May, 1859, when he moved to Nebraska, locating in Cuming Creek in Dodge County. In the summer of that year, all his stock and household goods were destroyed by the Pawnee Indians, who made a raid up the Elkhorn Valley. He resided in Cuming Precinct until the spring of 1869. He then removed to Pebble, operating a saw-mill about eighteen months, when he sold out his interest in the saw-mill and flouring-mill then in process of erection. He subsequently became a partner in the mill with Matthew Wright, who retired from the business in 1879. Since that time he has operated the mill alone, in which he carries a stock of general merchandise to the amount of $4,000. His flouring-mill, known as Pebble Mill, has three run of stone, twelve feet head of water, with a capacity of 300 bushels in a day of twenty-four hours. His farm, on which the little town of Pebble is situated, consists of 480 acres, of which 200 acres are in cultivation, the remainder being grass land. He has 200 acres under fence. He keeps from one hundred and fifty head of cattle on hand, and has about the same number of hogs. He feeds about one hundred head of cattle for market annually, and handles from three hundred to four hundred fat hogs per year. Mr. R. is a strong Democrat. He is Postmaster at Pebble; has held the office ever since he moved there.
JOHN C. SEELY, farmer, Section 35, Town 20, Range 6, P. O. Scribner, was born in Niagara County, N. Y., April 3, 1828. He lived in that county until seven years old, when his father moved to Oakland County, Mich., where he resided until nineteen years old. He then went to Detroit, Mich., obtaining employment as a clerk in a hat, cap and clothing store for two years. Going thence to La Salle County, Ill., he engaged in farming one year. The year following he was a clerk in a dry goods store in the town of La Salle. He then engaged in general merchandising at Lowell, Ill., for himself, until 1856, when he came to Nebraska, locating at Fontanelle, and remaining in that vicinity until 1860. He took an active and prominent part in the Pawnee war in 1859; was among the first to engage in the pursuit of the Indians up the Elkhorn; was in the first fight which occurred at West Point prior to the arrival of Gov. Black, Gen. Thayer and others with their forces. He joined the expedition at West Point, pursuing the Pawnees to the point known as Battle Creek, where a treaty was made and the forces marched back and disbanded. In 1861, he began freighting across the plains, following that business until the next year, when he enlisted in Company A, Second Nebraska Cavalry, serving nearly a year in Sully's campaign against the Indians of the North. His company was detailed at Fort Randall, where he acted as Quartermaster Sergeant until his discharge the year following. After his discharge, he returned to Dodge County, and engaged in stock-raising, which he has since continued. During the past twelve years, he has also been engaged in farming. He has a good farm of 200 acres, eighty acres being in cultivation, the rest grass land. He married at La Salle, Ill., March 19, 1855, Miss Sarah Seely, who died the same year. He again married in Washington County, Neb., April, 1865, Miss Ada Robinson, daughter of J. B. and Caroline Robinson. His wife died in 1874, leaving three sons--Louis A., Loren C. and James B. Mr. S. is a Republican. He has been a member of that party since its organization. He has held the office of County Commissioner of Dodge County, and represented his district in the State Legislature in 1875.
REV. ANDREW WARWICK, deceased, was born in the town of Sunderland, Cumberland County, Eng., June 6, 1842. He was educated for the ministry, and was a pastor of the Primitive Methodist Church, preaching two years in England. He married at Haltwhistle, Northumberland County, Eng., July 6, 1867, Miss Sarah Snowdon, a native of that county. They have two children--Walter and Andrew. In 1868, Mr. W. emigrated to America, living at Shulesburg, La Fayette County and at Mazomanie, Dane County, Wis., where he was engaged in the ministry until 1870. In that ;year, he came to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County, a few miles north of Pebble. After coming to Nebraska, he united with the Congregational Church, and, in 1871, became the first pastor of that church at Pebble, continuing in that position until November 5, 1874, when he was drowned while attempting to cross Pebble Creek in a boat. Mr. W. was highly esteemed by all who knew him. His death was a severe blow to the entire people, who felt that they had lost a valuable leader in all public enterprises.
MATTHEW WRIGHT, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Scribner, was born in Huntingdon County, Penn., February 29, 1824. When he was quite young his parents died. In 1846, he went to Clearfield County, Penn., where he began to learn the milling business which he followed at Curwinsville, in that county, seventeen years. He then went to Brookville and Washington Township, in Jefferson County, carrying on the milling business there until 1868. In October of that year, he moved to Omaha, remaining there until the next spring, when he went to Sarpy County and engaged in milling at the Anchor Mills, until the fall of 1869. He then moved to Pebble Precinct, buying an interest in Pebble Mill, then being built. He and J. B. Robinson operated it until the spring of 1880, when he sold his interest to his partner, and moved to his present residence, where he has since resided. He has a fine farm of 400 acres, well suited for stock-raising, in which he and his son William are preparing to engage extensively. Eighty acres of his farm are on Section 34, Town 20, Range 6, the remainder on Section 3, Town 19, Range 6, adjoining on the south. Of the whole tract 270 acres are under cultivation, and the remainder in hay and pasture land. He has a few acres under fence. He has good improvements, good two story frame house, barn, etc. He married in Brookville, Jefferson County, Penn., December 30, 1849, Miss Maria Pearsall, who was born in Clearfield County, Penn. They have four children--Mary, married to Joseph Burns, a merchant at Fremont; William, John, and Ella, who is the wife of Frank Smith, at Scribner.