Location and Natural Features | Water Powers|
Grain and Fruit Raising | Early History
Early History of Fremont | A Reminiscence|
Organization | Means of Communication|
County Schools--County Poor
The County Agricultural Society
Fremont: Corporate History | Schools | City Park|
Fremont (cont.): The Press | Fire Department | Fires|
The First and The Last Murder | Societies
Business of Fremont | Banks | Shed's Opera House
Fremont (cont.): Hotels | Board of Trade|
Manufactories | Biographical Sketches
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
North Bend: Early History | The North Bend of Today|
North Bend (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Scribner: Biographical Sketches|
Pebble: Biographical Sketches
Hooper: Biographical Sketches|
Cuming Precinct: (Biographical Sketches)
Everett Precinct | Maple Precinct
Union Precinct | Webster Precinct | Elkhorn Precinct
List of Illustrations in Dodge County Chapter
SAMUEL MAXWELL. The subject of this sketch was born May 20, 1825, near Lodi, N. Y. His father was the son of a wealthy farmer, and was himself a farmer. His mother was the youngest child of a large family of children, and, her parents being in comfortable circumstances, spared no expense to give her a superior education, and she became proficient in the Greek, Latin and French languages. Samuel's early life was spent on a farm, and his education, except such instruction as he received from his mother, who instructed him in the Latin and French languages, was obtained at the common schools. His father failed in business, caused to some extent by becoming security for others, but in some degree from lack of business training, and the family became very poor. In 1844, his father removed to Michigan, and Mr. Maxwell determined that he would place his parents in comfortable circumstances before making any effort for himself. To this end he worked out by the month during the first year of their residence there, and afterward conducted a farm during the summer seasons, and taught school during the winter. He also held the office of School Examiner and other like positions. He was very successful as a teacher, and received several testimonials from schools taught by him. He spent several years of incessant labor in securing a home for his parents, but had the satisfaction of seeing them in possession of a competency. In the spring of 1856, he removed to this State, and purchased a claim near Plattsmouth, the public lands not being surveyed. There were but a few settlers in Cass County at that time, and Plattsmouth contained but four cabins and one log store building at the foot of Main street, in which the post office was kept. He broke up about forty acres of his claim during the summer of 1856, and during the succeeding winter cut, split and hauled a distance of two miles a sufficient number of rails and stakes to fence by joining to the enclosure of a neighbor about one hundred acres. The land thus inclosed was nearly all broken up during the summer of 1857. In 1857, he, at the request of a number of his friends, was a candidate for the Legislature, but was defeated. The causes of his defeat were his failure to canvass the county and the great number of candidates in Plattsmouth. Before leaving Michigan, he commenced the study of law, and this he continued after removing to this State, but feeling the need of a living teacher, he rented his farm in the fall of 1858, and returned to Michigan, and entered the law office of his brother, Hon. A. C. Maxwell, of Bay City, and continued his studies under his directions. In the fall of 1859, after a thorough and very satisfactory examination in open court, he was admitted to practice in the Circuit and Supreme Courts of that State. He then returned to this State, and was a delegate from Cass County to the first Republican Territorial Convention, and was elected a member of the Legislature of 1859-60. Here he supported the first bill passed in the Territory limiting the rate of interest, the bill providing for a homestead and exemptions, and one providing for a stay of executions. At this time he intended to open a law office in the spring of 1860, but being unable to purchase a suitable library, he declined to do so at that time. Various adverse circumstances not unknown to settlers in a new State, prevented the accomplishment of his purpose for several years. In June, 1864, he was elected a member of the first Constitutional Convention. This convention met at Omaha July 4, of that year, and after organizing adjourned sine die, public sentiment in the Territory being very strong against adopting a State Government. The same year he was elected a member of the Legislature, and was chairman of the Committee of Judiciary of the House. He prepared and introduced the bill which was passed providing for a revision of the statutes, and afterward on his recommendation Acting Gov. Paddock appointed Gen. Estabrook to revise the statutes. In 1865, he was again elected to the House. The principal business of this session was the examination and adoption of the proposed revision of the statutes, and the preparation and submission to the people of the Constitution of 1866. In June, 1866, he was elected a member of the House in the first State Legislature, which met at Omaha July 4, 1866, for the election of U. S. Senators. In this Legislature the parties were nearly equally divided, the Democrats and a portion of the Republicans being opposed to State organization. Taking advantage of this sentiment, a motion was made in the Senate to adjourn sine die, and was carried. A similar motion was at once made in the House, and upon a call of the roll seemed likely to carry. There was a strong opposition to State Government in Cass County, but Mr. Maxwell believing it to be for the best interests of all to establish a State Government, voted "No," and this caused his colleague, Hon. H. D. Hathaway, to change his vote before it was announced to "No," and the motion was lost by one vote. While a member of the Legislature, no bill was permitted to pass without his examining it. As an illustration of this, near the close of the session of 1864-65, a bill purporting to be the real estate law of a sister State came into the House near the close of the session, having passed the Council. The bill was at once referred, and seemed in a fair way to pass the House. The bill contained five chapters, and no opportunity was had to read the same until the day preceding the adjournment, when Mr. Maxwell took it and read it over carefully and found many objectionable provisions, which he marked. At this time a prominent member of the Council called on him, and Mr. Maxwell called his attention to the objectionable provisions. The member at once said the bill must not be allowed to pass. It then appeared that the Council had passed the bill without reading it upon the representation that it was the law of-------. The bill did not pass. In the fall of 1866, he declined being a candidate for re-election, and about the lst of December of that year entered a law office in Plattsmouth for the purpose of reviewing his law studies preparatory to opening a law office. He remained there until the latter part of March, 1867, when the law firm of Maxwell & Chapman was formed and at once purchased one of the best private libraries in the State, and opened an office in Plattsmouth. The new firm attended closely to business, and met with almost unvarying success, and in a short time had a very large proportion of the law business of that county, with considerable practice in the adjoining counties. In 1871, Mr. Maxwell was elected a member of the Constitutional Convention, and was Chairman of the Committee on Suffrage and a member of the Judiciary Committee. In the same year, he was elected by the Legislature, together with W. E. Hill, of Nebraska City, and Dr. Scott, of Lincoln, to collect the $72,000 which they were authorized to receive from the insurance companies for the Insane Asylum destroyed by fire, with which sum they were to erect a new building. The money was collected without a cent of expense to the State. Plans and specifications for the new building were adopted, bids were invited on those plans by extended publication and the contract was let to the lowest bidder who could give a bond to perform the same, and the building was completed according to contract and within the appropriation. In 1872, he was elected one of the Judges of the Supreme Court for the term of six years, the Judges at that time being also Judges of the District Courts. He was assigned by the Legislature to the Third District, which comprised all the territory north of the Platte River, except Douglas and Sarpy Counties. He then removed to Fremont. In 1875, a Constitutional Convention, having been called by the Legislature, he was elected a member from Dodge County, and was Chairman of the Committee on Judiciary. In October, 1875, he was elected one of the Judges of the Supreme Court under the new Constitution, and drew the six-year term. In November, 1881, he was re-elected Judge for the term of six years. In 1877, he prepared a digest of the Nebraska Reports; in 1879, a work on practice in Justices' Courts, which has already reached a third edition, and, in 1880, a work on pleading and practice under the code, which has been well received, and has reached a third edition.
GEORGE MAXWELL, foundry and machine shops, came to Fremont, Neb., in March, 1869; commenced the foundry business in 1873, and has continued it since. He was married at Grimsby, Canada West, to Maria Porter; she died in 1861, leaving three children--John, Fanny and Mary. He was married again in Chicago, in 1865, to Ellen Grantham; they have two children--George and Fred.
O. H. MEVIS, dealer in general merchandise, employs four clerks, and does a thriving business; he has a fine store 22x100 feet long, and two stories high; he is also proprietor of the Union Pacific eating house at depot. Mr. Mevis camped in Fremont in 1860, when he was wending his way to Pike's Peak, but did not locate in the former place until January 8, 1879, at which time he began the mercantile business. He was born in Syracuse, N. Y., January 22, 1836. He first began in the mercantile business as clerk, at the age of sixteen, in Lansing, Mich., where he remained until 1855; then went to St. Paul, Minn., and clerked until the war broke out; then enlisted in Company D, Second Regiment Minnesota Volunteer Infantry; served until July 12, 1864, and was mustered out in Nashville, Tenn., going directly to Chicago, Ill., and was married on the 17th on the same month, to Miss Anna C. Kirnan of Three Rivers, Canada. During the service in the army he participated in the battles of Mill Springs, Perryville, Tullahoma, Corinth, and all through the latter siege, and ending in the battle of Shiloh. He was captured by the rebels between Louisville and Nashville, being held prisoner ten days, and exchanged, and soon afterward assisted to capture some of his former captors; he afterward participated in battles of Chickamauga and Mission Ridge; immediately after the battle of Mission Ridge, he was detailed by Gen. Baird, Commander of the Third Division, Fourteenth Corps, to which division he belonged, as assistant in the commissary of musters department, mustering out, and in those old soldiers who wished to enter the veteran service, remaining therein until mustered out; then to Nashville and drew his pay; thence to Chicago; was married, and entered the employ of Potter Palmer as salesman one year in Chicago; then went to Bloomington, Ill., where he clerked fifteen months in dry goods store and a hotel. He then went into the employ of Kirkendall, Pierpont & Co., of the latter city, as traveling salesman for dry goods, where he remained seven years; he then went to Hillsboro, Ill., where he had previously opened the dry goods business on his own account, remaining four years. In the meantime he had purchased the entire interest of Kirkendall, Pierpont & Co., and opened a large retail establishment; sold out in February, 1874; returning to Hillsboro he kept up his store there, and opened trade in Winchester, Ill., also in Exeter and Bushnell, Scott County. He also opened trade in Bunker Hill, keeping up trade in the latter place until removing to Fremont, Neb. His Pike's Peak enterprise in 1860, was a successful undertaking, wherein he was engaged four months.
JOHN C. MIDDAUGH, farmer, Section 11, was born in Luzerne County, Penn., February 25, 1831, living there until 1857, when he moved to Mercer County, Ill. He was married there, June 10, 1862, to Miss Brancht, who was born in Hancock County, Ohio. They have six children--George, Lyman, Edith, William, Raymond and Frank. In the fall of the year of 1873, he moved to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County, where he has since resided; he has a good farm of 160 acres, four and one half miles west of Fremont, near the Union Pacific railroad, 100 acres are in cultivation, fifteen acres in orchard and timber, and the remainder in pasture under fence, and divided into three fields. He has a considerable number of live stock, consisting of eighty head of cattle, some sheep, and about twenty head of horses; he feeds for market an average of twenty-five head of cattle, and fifty head of hogs annually; does an average business of $1,200 per year.
R. Mikkelsen, Fremont, Neb. He was born in Denmark, May 24, 1844; came to America in 1868; living first in Omaha; about five years engaged in the business of carpenter. He then moved to Fremont, where he has since resided, being employed as miller, millwright, pattern-maker and engineer. He is a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 15, A., F. & A. M. He was married in Denmark, June 24, 1873, to Miss Christina Erikson; they have two children--Anna and George.
MORSE & HAMAN, ice dealers and house movers, Fremont, Neb. Among the many business enterprises at Fremont is that of packing ice, which is carried on extensively by the above firm, who put up annually for themselves a large quantify, besides a considerable amount for other parties. They are also engaged in house-moving, and have all modern equipments for that purpose. During the summer season they also engage in street sprinkling. They employ in this business five teams of their own, besides fifteen or twenty others during the ice packing season; they do a business of $10,000 per year. E. N. Morse was born in Knox County, Ill., in 1864; he served in Battery H, Second Illinois Light Artillery, in the late war. After his discharge he came to Nebraska, locating at Fremont; he has repeatedly been a member of the City Council; was last elected in the spring of 1881; was President of the Council during the year of 1881. He has been a member of the Fire Department from its first organization; he is also a member of Fremont Lodge No. 15, A., F. & A. M., and of Fremont Lodge No. 859, K. of H. He was married at Fremont, to Miss Emma J. Goodman, of Racine County, Wis. They have one child living, Edna. John F. Haman was born in Germany, December 8, 1847; came to America in 1869, living in Cedar County, Iowa, until 1871, when he came to Nebraska, locating at Fremont; he was engaged in general labor until 1874, when he became a partner in ice packing and house-moving, with Mr. E. N. Morse, who had been carrying on the business several years prior to that time. He is a member of Centennial Lodge, No. 59, I. O. O. F., and of Fremont Lodge, No. 859, K. of H.; he is also a member of Red Jacket Fire Company. He was married at Fremont, in 1876, to Miss Anna E. Pageler, who was born in Germany. They have one child, Rosa; he is a Democrat in politics.
ADELBERT OSWALD MULLER, proprietor Fremont brewery, erected in 1871. Mr. Muller bought the same in 1873, and began operating. They can manufacture thirty barrels per day; employ nine men. Mr. Muller settled in Fremont, Neb., January 4, 1873; was born in Saxony, Germany, May 19, 1845; came to America in November, 1872, arriving 20th of same month. He learned the brewer's trade in Germany, and has followed the business twenty-three years. He was married in Germany May 4, 1872, to Miss Louisa Lange, a native of Saxony, Germany, born in 1846. They have four children--Helene, Alfred, Bernhard and an infant daughter.
W. H. MUNGER came to Fremont in October, 1868, and has engaged in the practice of law since that winter. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1875. In 1878, he was in partnership with J. M. Woolworth, of Omaha, taking charge of the law business of the firm during Mr. Woolworth's absence in Europe. He was born in Gergen, Genesee Co., N. Y., October 12, 1845; he lived in that county until January, 1866; he was educated in the schools of his native place, and at Brockport and Riga. In January, 1866, he went to Cleveland, Ohio, and read law with Judge Barber. He was admitted to practice in September, 1868, and then came to Nebraska. He was married at Fremont, March 30, 1871, to Jennie M. Fowler, a native of Connecticut, a daughter of Samuel Fowler, one of the early freighters of Nebraska, and later a well-known hotel keeper. They have one child, May. Mr. Munger is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Lodge, Chapter and Commandery.
HON. JAMES MURRAY, County Judge, came to Nebraska and located in Everett Precinct, in May, 1872, and engaged in farming until he was elected County Judge in 1881; he was Justice of the Peace, and Deputy County Clerk for several years; he was born in Rochester, N. Y., in 1833. In 1840, he came to Wisconsin, locating in Milwaukee County. He enlisted in the Twenty-eighth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, as First Lieutenant, Company H, and was promoted Captain of Company H after one and one-half years service. He entered the service in 1862, and was mustered out in September, 1865, after the close of the war; he shared in all the engagements of his command. At the close of the war he returned to Wisconsin, and remained there until he came to Nebraska. He was married to Catherine Slane, a native of Waukesha County, Wis., in April, 1866; she died at Waukesha, November, 1870, leaving three children--Mark W., Mary A. and Catherine. The Judge was married to his present wife in April, 1872; she was Anna Wallace, a native of Livingston County, N. Y. They have three children--Maria Luella, Margaret Estella, and James Wallace. The judge is a member of G. A. R; he was a member of the Legislature in Wisconsin in 1867; was a member of the County Board of Supervisors in 1861, and County Clerk of Waukesha County, in same State, in the years 1869 and 1870.
WILLIAM B. NEWLON, firm of Sand & Co., proprietor of Fremont foundry and machine works, the main building of which is 40x152 feet, with a boiler house 32x40 feet, and one story high, constructed of brick. They employ from thirty to fifty men, and pay for monthly about $1,500, and do a business of about $5,000 per month. Mr. Newlon came to Nebraska in 1876, engaging in Fremont, as a machinist; he became a partner in the above business February 1, 1882; was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, January, 1852. He learned his trade in Des Moines, Iowa, beginning in 1873; he is a member of the I. O. O. F., of the latter place. He was married in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1877, to Miss Helen Gray, of the latter city. They have three children--Susie, Helen and William W.
[Portrait of H. B. Nicodemus.]
HON. H. B. NICODEMUS, farmer, P. O. Fremont, residence on Section 26, Town 18, Range 8; he is the son of Henry and Margaret Nicodemus, and was born in Frederick City, Md., September 6, 1846. He was married at Frederick City, Md., July 16, 1868, to Miss Alice C., daughter of John and Sarah Fulton; she was born in Woodsboro, Md. They have three children--Charlie, Maggie and Nina. In 1869, he moved to Illinois; the next year they moved to Nebraska, locating at his present residence, four miles north of Fremont, and two miles southwest of Nickerson. He has a fine farm of 1,400 acres in one body, of which 600 acres are under cultivation, the rest is grass land, 350 acres being under fence; he is an extensive raiser of and dealer in live-stock; has a heard of 250 head of cattle; he feeds 100 head of cattle and hogs annually for market. His live stock business amounts to about $8,000 per year; the school facilities of his district are excellent; the best school building in Dodge County, outside of Fremont, is located a short distance from his residence, on land adjoining his own. Mr. Nicodemus takes an active interest in all public enterprises; is a prominent and popular leader of the Republican party in Dodge County; he represented his county in the State Legislature in the year of 1876-77, and served as County Commissioner about three months previous to his election to the Legislature. He is also serving his second term as President of the Dodge County Agricultural Society, in which he takes great interest. He is one of the most prominent Masons in the State; was Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of Nebraska in 1881, and is now Commander of the Mt. Tabor Commandery, No. 9, Knights Templar, at Fremont.
[RESIDENCE OF THERON NYE.]
THERON NYE, of firm Nye, Colson & Co., dealers in lumber, grain and agricultural implements. The business was opened in 1866 by Theron Nye, S. B. Colson, James G. and J. T. Smith, William Fried entering as one of the firm in 1873, Theron Nye buying the interest of James G. Smith January, 1882. Their average annual sale of lumber equals 5,000,000 feet. During March, 1880, they shipped 235 cars of corn. Their average annual sales of agricultural implements equals $10,000. Mr. Nye located in Fremont, Neb., in the spring of 1857, and engaged in farming until he opened the present business. He now owns a fine heard of Short-Horn stock of the best bloods. Mr. Nye has the honor of having been the first Mayor of Fremont, serving two terms in that capacity, being first elected in the spring of 1871. He was County Treasurer of his county two terms, dating from 1863. Has been a member of the Board of County Commissioners, etc. He was born in Brookfield, Madison Co., N. Y., July 26, 1828; was brought up on a farm until he was seventeen years of age; then engaged in various occupations until he removed to Nebraska. Was married in Hamilton, Madison Co., N. Y., in May, 1854, to Miss Caroline M. Colson, of the latter county. They have two sons--Fred Nye, now one of the editors of the Omaha Republican, and Ray Nye, now book-keeper for the above firm. Mr. Nye is now President of the First National Bank of Fremont, Neb.
REV. THOMAS WILLIAM O'CONNOR, a Catholic priest, was born in Queens County Ireland, in October, 1852. He graduated in All Hallows, Dublin, Ireland, in June, 1875, and was ordained to the holy ministry at that time. He emigrated to America in August, 1875, and located in Albany, N. Y., and became assistant priest in St. Joseph's Church of the latter city, where he remained about two years; then went to St. John's Church, Syracuse, N. Y., in same capacity two and a half years. He then went to Omaha, Neb., and after a few month's residence there was appointed to the charge of St. Patrick's Church and Missions attached in Fremont, Neb. He is now assisted in his labors by the Rev. John F. Quinn.
CHARLES OSTERMAN, dealer in general line of groceries, queensware and notions; began business in 1874; employ three men; the firm name is Osterman, Smith & Co. Mr. Osterman first located in Fontanelle, Neb. in 1856; engaged in farming and stock raising until 1874; then came to Fremont. Previous to going to the former place, he clerked in a grocery store for A. D. Jones, of Omaha, one year. He was born in Germany January 6, 1843; came to America in the spring of 1855 and landed in New Orleans, La. He was married in Fontanelle, Neb., December 25, 1868, to Catharine Kerl, who was born near Jefferson City, Mo. They have six children--Alice, Charles H., Mary, Thomas Theodore Tilton, Theodore and Edwin.
H. O. PAINE, Postmaster, Fremont, was born in Grant County, Wis., February 4, 1846, living there until 1864, when he enlisted in Company A, Forty-first Wisconsin Volunteers, serving until the latter part of 1865. Soon after his discharge, he came to Nebraska, locating at Fremont. He was appointed Postmaster at Fremont in 1870, and has held that office since that time. He is Commander of McPherson Post, No. 4, G. A. R., at Fremont; is also a member and one of the organizers of the Fremont Shakespeare Club. He was married at Fremont, in January, 1874, to Miss E. F. Blackman, daughter of J. C. and Eliza Blackman. They have three children--Lorain O., Sidney P. and Pearl. He is the son of Judge Stephen O. and Pamelia Paine, whose maiden name was Brunson. His father was a prominent and well-known citizen of Wisconsin; was a leading Republican, and held several public positions in that State. He was also in the Black Hawk war.
H. A. PEIRCE, farmer, came to Nebraska and located in Fremont, Dodge County, April 2, 1857, on same land now joining the town site of Fremont, taking one-half section including what was then owned by Mrs. Seth F. Marvin. Mr. Peirce was married to Mrs. Marvin, January 6, 1859. A sort of banquet was served up for the occasion by the good people consisting of the solids of a pioneer table, and served up stairs in Mrs. M's log house, then the largest in town and capable of holding every soul in Fremont, and most everybody was there. Mr. P. has made farming his business. Served as County Register in 1859. Served in the Pawnee raid in 1859. He enlisted in Company K, Second Cavalry Regiment of Nebraska Volunteers, December 26, 1862, and served in the Dakota frontier Indian warfare nine months, and was in the victorious battle of White Stone Hill. He was born in Vernon, Oneida Co., N. Y., May 15, 1829. His wife was born in Ann Arbor, Mich., April 14, 1835. She was married to Seth F. Marvin August 23, 1853, and moved with her husband August, 1856, who built the third log cabin in that vicinity, one mile west of the present site of Fremont. The first winter of their life in Nebraska there was the stormiest weather ever experienced in Nebraska, and this, with threats from the Indians, made their experience in pioneer life a severe one. Omaha, fort-six miles distant, was then the only place to obtain supplies and also their nearest post office. Mr. M. was drowned in Elkhorn River, April 6, 1857, by the capsizing of a ferry boat, leaving a wife and two young children. She wisely concluded to link her destiny to the country against the urgent request of her friends to return. In due time she became the wife of H. A. Peirce, as above related. At the present writing, they have three children living, have buried five.
CHARLES O. PILSBURY, of the firm of Pilsbury, Veazie & Co., came to Fremont, Neb., in 1871, where he learned the tinner's trade of Cole & Pilsbury; continued in their employ until January 1, 1882, when he became a partner in the firm of Pilsbury, Veazie & Co. He was born in Bucksport, Me., August 9, 1854. Was married at Taylorsville, Iowa, October 7, 1881, to Miss Emma L. Doane, of the latter place.
N. M. PILSBURY, firm of Pilsbury, Veazie & Co., dealers in general line of hardware, stoves, tinware, wagons, buggies, paints, oils and glass. Began the business in 1868, employ four men, and carry $15,000 stock. Mr. P. located in Fremont in 1868, and opened the above business under the firm name of Cole & Pilsbury, which was continued until January 1, 1882. Mr. P. was born in Wiscasset, Me., February 13, 1842. He engaged in the hardware business at the age of fifteen, which he has ever made his occupation. He enlisted in the navy in 1862, in the Gulf Squadron, and served nine months, being mustered out in May, 1863. He is a member of I. O. O. F. of Fremont, also McPherson Post, No. 4, G. A. R., also K. of H. He was married in Chicago, Ill., October 27, 1870, to Miss Clara V. Bell, of Mt. Carmel, Ill. They have three children--Victor C., born Mach 7, 1872; Lawrence B., born February 1, 1874, and Maud C., born July 3, 1878.
H. H. PRATT, firm Pratt & Wheeler, dealer in a general stock of jewelry, and everything found in a first-class jewelry store. They opened the business in Fremont, Neb., March, 1877, and now carry a stock worth $10,000, including fixtures. There are three men employed in the business. Mr. P. located in Fremont, Neb., in 1877, and began the above business alone. Mr. Wheeler became a partner in September, 1879. Mr. Pratt was born in Mowers, N. Y., in 1848.
REV. JOHN F. QUINN, a Catholic Priest, was born in Albany, N. Y., January 16, 1847. At a suitable age he attended the schools of his native city; afterward spent two years at Christian Brothers of St. Joseph Parish School. At the age of thirteen he began learning the cooper's trade, spending four years. In May, 1856, he was a member of a Fenian raid, being commissioned as a Lieutenant of the Eighth Irish Republican Army. In 1867, he went to the Seminary of Our Lady of Angels, at Suspension Bridge, N. Y., spending four and a half years, and completing his philosophy. He then returned to Albany, N. Y., to recruit his health, and in November, 1870, he became editor of the Catholic Reflector, a weekly Catholic newspaper published in Albany, N. Y. He remained in that capacity two years. During the latter two years he studied law, and he soon graduated from the Law Department of the Union University of Albany, N. Y., November 11, 1873. He began the practice of law, and continued two and a half years in company with Mark Cohn. On February 22, 1876, he returned to the Seminary of Our Lady of Angels, and on May 26, 1877, was ordained to the Holy Priesthood, and came to Omaha, Neb., July 4, 1877, and was appointed Assistant Priest to the Very Rev. John Curtis, the then pastor of Holy Family Church, of Omaha, Neb. Father John Curtis died September 13, 1879, and on the 23d of same month, Rev. Mr. Quinn was appointed pastor, to fill the vacancy, remaining in charge until May 10, 1871, and resigned. He was appointed Assistant to the Very Rev. T. M. O'Connor, where he has since remained. He was enabled to obtain his education by the assistance of Rev. John Quinn.