Location and Natural Features | Water Powers|
Grain and Fruit Raising | Early History
Early History of Fremont | A Reminiscence|
Organization | Means of Communication|
County Schools--County Poor
The County Agricultural Society
Fremont: Corporate History | Schools | City Park|
Fremont (cont.): The Press | Fire Department | Fires|
The First and The Last Murder | Societies
Business of Fremont | Banks | Shed's Opera House
Fremont (cont.): Hotels | Board of Trade|
Manufactories | Biographical Sketches
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
North Bend: Early History | The North Bend of Today|
North Bend (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Scribner: Biographical Sketches|
Pebble: Biographical Sketches
Hooper: Biographical Sketches|
Cuming Precinct: (Biographical Sketches)
Everett Precinct | Maple Precinct
Union Precinct | Webster Precinct | Elkhorn Precinct
List of Illustrations in Dodge County Chapter
D. A. HOPKINS, manufacturer, harness, saddles and everything pertaining to the harness trade. He began business November 1, 1880. Sales $600 monthly, carries about $1,800 worth of stock, employes two men besides his own assistance. He first located in Fremont, Neb., in June, 1878, and worked at the harness trade there about two years, after which he went to North Bend, and opened a harness store. He was born in Bangor, Me., June 26, 1856. He began working at the harness trade in Sioux City, Iowa, in the fall of 1872, remaining about six years, after which he went to Vermillion, D. T., where he remained some time engaged in the above business. He was married in the latter city, May 1, 1881, to Miss Anna Picket, a native of Lowville, Canada West.
JAMES A. HOUGH, Postmaster, first settled in Omaha, September, 1865, and engaged as master mechanic for U. P. R. R. Co., two years. His family were then at Davenport, Iowa. He then went to North Bend, and was engaged in various occupations farmed, was Justice of the Peace being elected in 1878. He built a ponton bridge crossing the Platte River in September, 1875, in company with several others. He was appointed Postmaster in January, 1876, and has held the office since March 1, 1877. Mr. H. passed through Nebraska in 1849, crossing the great plains in charge of an outfit of miners, being a joint-stock company originating in Boston, Mass. He was born in China, Me., July 3, 1817, being brought up on a farm. He began learning the trade of machinist at the age of twenty-two in the Boston, Mass., Locomotive Works. He afterward worked at his trade in the latter city, Lowell, Ottawa and Prescott; also for the Grand Trunk Railway. Went to Memphis, Tenn., and accepted the appointment of master mechanic for the Mississippi & Tennessee Railroad, where he remained until the war broke out. He then engaged in the revenue service and served from 1862-63, being about a year. He then obtained a permit from the Government and went to Pine Bluffs on the Arkansas River, ninety miles below Little Rock, and began a trading post, where he remained a year, after which he went to Nashville, Tenn., in employ of parties from Erie , Penn., to locate lands in Kentucky and Tennessee. Was in Nashville, Tenn., about the time of the great battle in the winter of 1864-65. He then returned to Davenport, Iowa, and from there to Omaha, Neb. Was married in Dover, Me., in November, 1840, on Thanksgiving Day, to Miss Atherlin J. Wiggins, a native of Freedom, Me. They have one daughter living, Helen Augusta, now married to Albert L. Norris, and keeps the North Bend Hotel. Wentworth C., a son, was killed in Texas on a railroad; James A., died in Chicago, Ill. Mr. H. is a member of Covert Lodge, No. 11, A., F. & A. M., of Omaha, Neb.
EDWARD JOHNSON, farmer, Section 22, P. O. North Bend, was born in County Donegal, Ireland, in March, 1832. He came to America in 1853, living in Philadelphia five years. He then moved to Nebraska, settling in Section 8, Township 18, Range 5, on Maple Creek. He was the first settler in the western part of Dodge County on Maple Creek. He married in Philadelphia, Penn., April 10, 1863, Miss Catharine Scott, who is also a native of Donegal, Ireland. They have six children--Thomas Henry, Minnie Jane, Maggie, Lizzie Ann, Jemima Jane and Edward. He and his family are members of the Presbyterian Church. He has in his home farm 120 acres, 100 acres in cultivation, the rest in grass land. Has good house, barn, etc. He has two other farms, one of 160 acres on Sections 30 and 31, Town 19, Range 6, 100 acres being in cultivation, and the other being his old homestead consisting of eighty acres, thirty-five acres in cultivation. He has a herd of eight head of cattle, and markets about fifty head of hogs per year.
MICHAEL JOHNSON, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Purple Cane, was born in Donegal County, Ireland, October 16, 1837. He came to America when about twenty years old living in Philadelphia over a year, and in Warren County, Ill., about two years. He then moved to Nebraska, locating on Maple Creek in Dodge County. He married in that county December 24, 1862, Miss Elizabeth Valentine, who was born in Ohio. They have nine children--Maria, Walter, James, Joseph, William, Mary, George, Emma, and an infant. Mr. J. is a very extensive farmer, has 400 acres in his home farm, 140 acres in cultivation, the rest grass land, forty acres of which is inclosed with a willow hedge; his farm is also well improved, has good house, barn, etc. He has another farm on Sections 7 and 8, of 160 acres, being his first homestead; 120 acres are in cultivation, the rest grass and timber land. He keeps a herd of seventy-five head of cattle, and feeds fifty to one hundred head of hogs annually for market.
JOHN KEITH, member of the firm of Smith & Mallon, extensive stock-raisers and dealers. They now have on hand about three hundred head of horses, many of which are of the best improved breeds. They also have 400 head of fine steers, which they are fattening, and about two hundred head of stock cattle. They are continually changing the number of their stock, and now have on hand 30,000 bushels of grain with which to feed them. They have a farm four miles from North Bend (north) in Union Precinct, consisting of 1,280 acres of choice lands. They also have a large stock ranch in Colorado, thirty miles northeast of Denver City. Mr. K. was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, January 10, 1848. Came with his parents to America in 1852, and settled in Chicago, Ill. He lived there until he enlisted in September, 1862, in Company I, Nineteenth Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, as drummer boy, and served as such until he was mustered out, January 10, 1864, at Newbern, N. C. He was a member of the Seventeenth and Twenty-fourth Army Corps, participating in several general engagements. He soon after returned to Chicago, Ill., after being mustered out. Was also a member of Racine (Wis.) College, some time.
C. C. KENDALL, banker, grain and stock-dealer, began banking and grain business in the fall of 1877 and the stock and the stock trade in the fall of 1875. He was born in Hampden, Me., January 8, 1846. He first came to Grand Island, Neb., October 5, 1866, as operator for the U. P. R. R., remaining there a short time, and went to Columbus for some time; returned to the former place, where he remained until March 1, 1867, when he went to North Bend and since remained. He is one of the live business men of the latter place. Previous to emigrating to Nebraska, he learned telegraphy, and was afterward employed as operator at La Salle, Ill., Keokuk, Iowa, Chicago, Ill., etc. He is a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 15, of F. & A. M. He was married in Fremont, Neb., October 21, 1868, to Miss Susan A. McFarlane, a native of Pittsburgh, Penn. They have one daughter--Pearl T.
A. J. KENYON, farmer and at present clerking in a lumber yard and attending to the sale of agricultural implements, etc. Mr. K. came to North Bend and located in September, 1868, but came to Omaha in August of that year; employed by the U. P. R. R. Co., as brakeman. He remains employed in that capacity until June, 1871, when he went into the employ of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad as conductor of a train some time and a portion of the time as baggage master, locating at Topeka, Kan. He remained in the employ of the above company until 1873; then went to North Bend and settled on his homestead, three quarters of a mile east of the village. He owns ninety-two acres on Section 8, Town 17, Range 6 east. He followed farming and stock-raising until May, 1876; then moved in the North Bend Hotel, and kept the same until September, 1876. He then moved into his present home in the south part of the village. He was born in Chittenden County, Vt. (near Burlington), October 30, 1839. He owned and operated a saw-mill in the pineries of Michigan about ten years. He was married in Hudson, Lenawee Co., Mich., February 28, 1861, to Miss Annetta Purnell, a native of New York. Mr. K. has served in several town offices, etc.
MILTON MAY, dealer in a general line of hardware, stoves and tinware, began business in November, 1876; buys on a yearly average from $12,000 to $13,000 worth of goods to supply his trade; employs two men, besides his own assistance. He first located in North Bend in July, 1865, going there in the employ of the Overland Stage Company, in which he remained one year; then prospected in Colorado about the same length of time; then went to Fremont, Neb., and worked at the tinner's trade until November, 1876. Was born in Chillicothe, Ross Co., Ohio, October 22, 1834. Was married in Central City, Neb., in 1874, to Miss Flora L. Skinner, a native of Jackson, Mich. Mr. M. was a member of the Nebraska State Legislature in the winter of 1872-73, and is at present a member of the Board of County Commissioners. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Company H., Eighty-ninth Regiment Ohio Infantry; was promoted to Second Lieutenant; participated in the campaigns of Sherman and Rosecrans through the Southern States; was mustered out at Washington, D. C., in June, 1865. He is a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 15, A., F. & A. M.
JOHN MILLER, farmer and stock-raiser, located on Section 11, Town 17, Range 5 east, one mile west of the village of North Bend, July 4, 1856; has about two hundred acres of fine land. He lived in North Bend during the winter of 1856, and in the fall of 1857 moved on his present place; has about one hundred acres under cultivation. He has followed farming and stock-raising since coming to Nebraska. He was born in Scotland, July 12, 1826. Came to America in February, 1854. Was married in Illinois, September 17, 1855, to Rachael Woodrum, who was born in Clark County, Ill., January 17, 1833. They have six children and raised them all in Nebraska--Archie W., George J. (married and living at home), Elizabeth C. (married to Robert Wyatt and living in Terryville, I. T.), Sarah Ann, Hattie J. and John Henry, at home. During the Indian troubles in Nebraska, Mr. Miller was engaged in an Indian scouting expedition.
ALBERT L. NORRIS, proprietor North Bend Hotel. He opened the hotel to the public September 1, 1875. The same was erected by Samuel Williams in 1870; contains twenty rooms; can accommodate thirty guests, and has a fine brick barn in connection. Mr. N. located, with his father and their family, seven miles north of North Bend, in the spring of 1868, and took pre-emption of 160 acres of land, where he farmed about two years; after which he moved to Fremont and was appointed Deputy Sheriff of Dodge County, and served during 1870 and 1871. He then returned to North Bend and engaged in the sale of lightning rod three years, after which he opened his hotel, where he has since been in business. He was born in Seneca County, Ohio (Tiffin City), March 1, 1846. Was married in North Bend, January 4, 1872, to Miss Helen Augusta Hough, who was born in Augusta, Me., March 1, 1849. They have one son--Clarence L., born March 31, 1873. Mr. N. enlisted, in the fall of 1863, in Toledo, Ohio, in Battery G, First Ohio Light Artillery, as a private; participated in the battles of Franklin and Nashville, also, prior to that, in battles of Spring Hill and Columbia; was mustered out at Columbus, Ohio, in August, 1865. He has been Chairman of his Town Council and a member of the School Board six years.
A. PELLER, firm of A. Peller & Co., Henry Fuhrman being the company, dealers in general merchandise. They have a fine assortment of dry goods and groceries.
B. P. RICE, dealer in dry goods, boots and shoes, groceries, provisions, crockery, etc. He first located near Blair, Neb., in July, 1865, and farmed there until 1867, when he came to North Bend and followed the same business until 1873. He began business at Cedar Hill, Neb., in 1873; removed to North Bend in 1876. He was born in Mount Morris, Livingston Co., N. Y., January 6, 1840. Was raised on a farm. Spent two years in a printing office. He enlisted, August 25, 1862, in Battery E, First Illinois Light Artillery, and participated in the battle at Vicksburg and campaigns of Jackson, Tupelo, Nashville, etc. Was mustered out in July, 1865, in Chicago, Ill. Was married in Iroquois County, Ill., March 10, 1861, to Miss Candis A. White, a native of McHenry County, Ill. They have four children--Laurilla V., Edith A., Gertie and Frank A. Mr. R. is a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 15, A., F. & A. M.
JOHN SIEVERS, proprietor City Hotel. He opened his hotel in January, 1876. The main building is 20x24 feet and two stories high. There are additions 24x40 feet, 12x40 feet and 10x24 feet. It contains seventeen sleeping rooms and can accommodate forty guests. Mr. S. located on a farm on Section 18, Town 19, Range 6 east, containing eighty acres, in Union Precinct, in 1869. He has since sold the same. He was born in Germany, November 8, 1841; came to America in 1858, and settled in Illinois. He enlisted, August 15, 1862, in Company K, One Hundred and Twelfth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in fifteen general engagements. Was discharged June 20, 1865, in Greensboro, N. C. Was married in Geneseo, Ill., January 23, 1867, to Miss Christina M. Thega, who was born in Germany, October 5, 1842. They have five children--Margaretta E., John C. F., Henrietta D. C., Emma F. and Anna E. H. Mr. S. has been a member of his Village School Board, etc.
JACOB SIMMONS, physician and surgeon, located in North Bend September 13, 1871, and soon after began practicing his profession, which he has since continued, and has an average practice of about a$2,500 per annum. Was born in Miami County, Ohio, March 26, 1839. Began the study of medicine at Fort Recovery, Ohio, in 1861, remaining there three years. He then went to Union City, Ind., afterward entered the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio, and graduated in February, 1868. Then began practice at Hollansburgh, Darke Co., Ohio, in 1868, where he remained until 1871, and practiced. During the rebellion, he served a short time on State Militia of Ohio. He was married, in Jay County, Ind., in November, 1860, to Miss Lydia A. Head, a native of Darke County, Ohio. They have three children--Amy M., William T. (deceased), Philip Sheridan and Charles D.
SMITH & MALLON, dealers in grain and live stock, North Bend, have been dealing in grain only a short time, having recently succeeded C. C. Kendall in the grain business. They have been dealing in live stock since the early part of 1881, handling, in 1881, 350 head of fat cattle, 175 head of horses, 160 cars of fat hogs, and feeding 20,000 bushels corn, doing a business of nearly $200,000. They also cribbed 30,000 bushels of corn in the fall of 1881. They have also 1,700 acres of land in Dodge County; 1,200 acres on Sections 6, 17 and 18, Town 18, Range 5, of which 400 acres are in pasture under fence; 200 acres in cultivation, and the rest hay land. The remaining 500 acres are located on Section 35, on Maple Creek; 320 acres in pasture under fence, the rest in cultivation. They carry a herd of 200 head of cattle and 100 head of horses. Are extensively engaged in raising fine cattle and horses, their horses being chiefly of Clydesdale stock, imported for them direct from Scotland. John Y. Smith, of the above firm, was born February 22, 1850, in Lake County, Ill., where he resided until 1878, engaged in farming and dealing in live stock. He there married, August 25, 1878, Miss Emma Louisa Smart, also a native of that county. Soon after his marriage, he moved to Nebraska, locating on Maple Creek, on Section 35, Town 18, Range 5, residing there until the spring of 1881, when he moved to his present residence on Section 6, four and one-half miles north of North Bend. It is one of the most beautiful locations in the State. Has two large barns and other buildings, all well protected by a large grove. Mr. S. is a thorough business man, well-known in business circles in the State and elsewhere, taking a leading part in the stock and grain business of the country. He is a member of the Masonic Order, and a member of Mount Tabor Commandery, No. 9, at Fremont, Neb.
JAMES SLOSS, farmer and stock-raiser, but at present has retired, and his son, Robert Brown Sloss, rents the farm, carrying on the business. James Sloss located just west of North Bend on Section 12, Town 17, Range 5 east, in October, 1858, purchasing the claim of a young man named Miller. The farm consisted of 156 acres of timber land. He afterward traded some of his timbered land for prairie adjoining the same on Section 12. He has since increased his acreage, and now owns about 700 acres of Nebraska soil. He raises cattle, buys and sells, and is constantly changing his stock, and now has about 150 head on hand. He was born in Londonderry, in the north of Ireland, March 15, 1820; came to America in 1843, and located in the vicinity of New York City, and engaged in gardening and as coachman about ten years. He went to Cleveland, Ohio; lived there five years; came to Nebraska, and settled as before stated. He remembers that there were only nine votes cast at the first election, which was held in Mr. M. S. Cotterell's house in North Bend. The country was a complete wild as far as the eye could reach in all directions, and there were only about seventeen houses in a range of six miles. Mr. S. erected a small sod house in the fall of 1858 to live in during the winter. Wild game of many varieties could be had for the hunting in any direction. Mr. S. was married, in Brooklyn, N. Y., in the fall of 1852, to Miss Nancy Richey, a native of Derry, in the north of Ireland, who was born in June, 1819. They have two sons--James W., now attending Monmouth College, Ill., and completing his fifth year in a classical course. Mr. S. once enlisted and went out to fight the Pawnee Indians a short time in July of 1859, under Gov. Black and Gen. Curtis. He has not participated much in politics. Has been a member of the School Board eleven years, and Assessor of the precinct three years in succession.
FRANK STOUFFER, firm of J. G. Smith & Co., dealers in general line of dry goods, clothing, hats, caps, boots and shoes, and groceries etc. The business was began in the fall of 1869, by James G. Smith. Their sales equal about $50,000 annually; employ four clerks, not including the assistance and general superintenence of Mr. Stouffer. Mr. F. Stouffer located in Fremont in July, 1876, and engaged as clerk in the dry goods store of James G. Smith, where he was employed about a year, after which he went to Hooper, in Dodge County, and engaged in general merchandising two and one-half years, when he moved his stock of goods to North Bend. He was born in Franklin County, Penn., February 9, 1850. Was married, in Fremont, Neb., January 8, 1878, to Miss Lennie L. Smith, who was born in Fremont, Nebr. They have one daughter-Nannie K. Stouffer, born November 28, 1880.
F. L. THOMPSON, firm of Cearns & Thompson, manufacturers of and dealers in brooms and shippers of broom corn, began business in September, 1878; employs eight men usually, and manufacture three thousand dozen per annum, amounting to $6,750 gross sales. They also raise their own broom corn. Mr. T. was born in Hopkinton, Worcester Co., Mass., September 2, 1856. He learned the trade of machinist at Taunton, Mass., remaining three years; then worked at Warren, Mass., about six months at the trade, and from the latter place he went to Omaha, Neb., and moved to North Bend in July, 1876. Was married in the latter place, April 21, 1881, to Miss Mary Cearns, a native of Iowa and sister of his partner in the broom business. He is a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 15, A., F. & A. M.
CHARLES THRUSH, farmer, Section 30, Town 18, Range 5. P. O. Schuyler, was born in Somersetshire, England, February 15, 1830. He married, May 5, 1850, in Bristol, county of Gloucester, England, Miss Martha Rees, who was born in Wales. They have seven children--George, Ann, Charles, Thomas, William, John and Elizabeth. He moved to Wales the next year after his marriage, working at his trade of brick-mason, setting machinery in the rolling-mills and at railroad bridge building until 1855. In March of that year, he sailed from Liverpool, arriving at New York City April 17. He first located at Philadelphia, Penn., passing the following summer working at his trade on the viaduct in the Schuylkill River. In the fall of that year, he removed to Missouri, where he was employed the next winter on the North Missouri Railroad. In the spring of 1856, he moved to Omaha, remaining there and in that vicinity one summer and winter. The next spring he went with the Mormon colony that located at Genoa, which was established as a supply post and recruiting station. He was one of the first eight who took their families there and laid out the town site. He remained there two years, and becoming disgusted with the conduct of affairs he left and located at Monroe, a station ten miles east of Genoa, remaining there two years. He then moved to the southwest corner of Dodge County, on the military road, keeping a ranch from 1861 to 1867. He then moved to his present residence. Mr. Thrush and his family suffered many hardships during the early years of their residence in the State. When he arrived at Omaha, he had only $4 and his tools. When he went to Genoa, he undertook farming, of which he knew very little. He has now an excellent farm of 240 acres, well suited for both farming and live-stock raising; 200 acres are in cultivation and the remainder grass land. His farm is well improved; has good frame house, barn, etc., orchard, and all surrounded by a large grove of thrifty trees. He began planting forest trees in 1868, continuing it several years. He now obtains all his fire-wood, fence-posts, etc., from his grove. He is quite largely interested in live-stock, having a herd of nearly one hundred head of cattle, besides a large number of hogs and other stock.
GEORGE THRUSH, farmer, Section 19, Town 18, Range 5, P. O. Schuyler, was born in Wales April 6, 1851. He is the son of Charles and Martha Thrush. He came to America with them in 1855. He has resided in Nebraska since May, 1856. He was married in North Bend Precinct, Dodge County, Neb., November 15, 1877, to Miss Mattie N. Arman, who was born in Virginia. They have two children--Lillie May and Charles William. He is now engaged in farming. Has a good farm of 160 acres, 110 acres in cultivation, fourteen acres in pasture under fence, the rest meadow. Has also forty acres of hay land on Section 31 in the Platte Valley. On his home farm he has a large number of forest trees of various kinds.
GEORGE YOUNG, Section 12, P. O. North Bend, was born in Linlithgoshire, Scotland, March 30, 1823, but was reared in Edinburgh. He married in Clackmennenshire, November 11, 1845, Miss Ann Miller, a native of that shire. They emigrated to America in 1850, locating in Lake County, Ill., engaging there in farming about four years, and two years in Clark County. He moved to Nebraska in 1856, reaching Omaha on the 4th day of July, and located at his present residence soon afterward. In December of that year his wife died, leaving four children--Eliza, James R. Georgiana O. and Seth W., the last named being an infant only a few days old and the first male white child born in Dodge County. His wife was the first white woman who died in the county. Her death was a serious blow to Mr. Y. In 1859, he married Miss Elizabeth Sloss, a native of Ireland. She died the following year. In 1869, he married Miss Jeannetta Morrison, who died in 1872. He again married, in the fall of 1879, Miss Anna C. Kelley, who came to Nebraska in 1857. Mr. Y. was only able to obtain forty acres when the land was put on the market, but has since increased his farm until he now has 240 acres in one body, which is well improved, 100 acres being in cultivation, twenty acres in pasture under fence and the rest grass land. He has a herd of eight head of cattle and a considerable number of other stock. He has always taken great interest in all matters of public interest. Is a Republican. Held the office of County Commissioner one term, during which the court house at Fremont was built. He is also a leading member of the United Presbyterian Church, of which he is an Elder.