Location and Natural Features | Water Powers|
Grain and Fruit Raising | Early History
Early History of Fremont | A Reminiscence|
Organization | Means of Communication|
County Schools--County Poor
The County Agricultural Society
Fremont: Corporate History | Schools | City Park|
Fremont (cont.): The Press | Fire Department | Fires|
The First and The Last Murder | Societies
Business of Fremont | Banks | Shed's Opera House
Fremont (cont.): Hotels | Board of Trade|
Manufactories | Biographical Sketches
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
North Bend: Early History | The North Bend of Today|
North Bend (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Scribner: Biographical Sketches|
Pebble: Biographical Sketches
Hooper: Biographical Sketches|
Cuming Precinct: (Biographical Sketches)
Everett Precinct | Maple Precinct
Union Precinct | Webster Precinct | Elkhorn Precinct
List of Illustrations in Dodge County Chapter
This is one of the lively villages in the eastern part of Dodge County, which owes its origin to the building of the Elkhorn Valley Branch of the Sioux City & Pacific road. It is located in the midst of a rich grain-raising section, from which fact much of its business life springs. The plat of the village was recorded February 4, 1871, John I. Blair, President of the Sioux City & Pacific Railroad Company, being proprietor of the land on which it is located, and L. D. Richards, surveyor. O. A. Himebaugh, who had been located on his farm on Maple Creek since 1856, had been buying grain, lumber, etc., and had established quite a business at a temporary station of the railroad, six miles east of the present site of Hooper. He also acted as a sort of agent in the purchase of lands. Mr. Himebaugh was therefore in a position to know of the proposed location of the village, even before the information reached the wide-awake people of Fremont. He located at Hooper, therefore, as the first settler, building the elevator now operated by Morse (C. L.) & Ritter (J. L.) transacting a large business until the summer of 1878. He dealt in grain, lumber, coal, etc. This was in 1870, before the platting of the village. The next settler was James Colwell, the blacksmith, and the second building erected was the hotel now operated by F. M. Tillman. It was built by August Koplekorn in 1871, and is now the only public house in the village. About the time Hooper was platted, a post office was established, and George W. Pugh appointed to take charge of it. G. S. Peyton is the present incumbent. By 1874, the grain trade had so increased that the erection of a second warehouse became necessary. The building is now occupied for this purpose by L. M. Kellogg & Co. This same year, also, Hooper received an acquisition to its business strength in the person of C. F. Eiseley, who was one of the very early settlers of Washington County, having located on Sections 7, 19 and 9, on Logan Creek, in 1856. His land was about half way between Hooper and Fontenelle. He is now proprietor of a large hardware establishment, and a prominent citizen.
On October 16, 1876, the village was incorporated. Its present officers are: Board of Trustees, Chairman, E. Van Buren; E. H. Airis, George Heine, C. F. Eiseley, there being one vacancy; Clerk, Henry Lucien; Marshal, Thomas Bullock.
As it stands, Hooper is a brisk little village of 200 people. It contains two elevators, four general stores, one hardware establishment, one hotel, a post office, one agricultural warehouse, one brick yard, a drug store, photographic gallery, barber shop, harness shop, shoe shop, two blacksmith shops, one restaurant, a saloon and butcher shop. There is a fine district school, a flourishing Masonic lodge and two churches.
The school building was erected in 1880 and is a fine looking, two-story brick edifice, situated on an elevated piece of ground overlooking the village. The scholars, which number about seventy, are graded into two departments. This was a new departure, and was but another index of Hooper's determination to grow into a city with metropolitan ways. The building is divided into two commodious rooms, the total value of the property being $5,000. The Principal, P. H. Musgrave, is assisted by Miss Agnes McDonald.
The Presbyterian Church building, erected in 1879 by this denomination, in union with the Methodist society, is also of brick, and is valued at $2,000. These two societies were formed in 1879, and number together over thirty members. Rev. Joel Warner is pastor of the Presbyterian society and Rev. J. Charles of the Methodist; both reside in the village.
The Masonic Lodge, organized in the fall of 1879, has a membership of over thirty and is in a healthy condition. In a word, it is not too much to say that there are few villages of the size of Hooper, which have sprung up on the line of railroads, showing so few evidences of a mushroom growth. Many of is buildings being of brick, present a substantial appearance not expected, but none the less welcomed.
HON. J. E. DORSEY, farmer, Section 1, Town 18, Range 7, P. O., Hooper, was born in 1838, in Loudoun County, Va., living there until the fall of 1856, when he went to Pottawattamie County, Iowa, where he lived three years. He then came to Dodge County, Neb., locating at his present residence in June, 1859. He is the oldest settler in the Maple Creek Valley now living there. He enlisted in Company A, Second Nebraska Cavalry, serving nearly a year as Sergeant. He was married near Fremont, in January, 1865, to Miss Elizabeth Beatie, who was born in Illinois. They have six children--Nettie, Fannie, Frank, Kate, Oscar and Emery. Mr. D. is a Republican. He was a member of the last Territorial Legislature, and prior to that time held the office of County Commissioner of Dodge County, and has since held various precinct offices. He has a fine farm in Maple Creek Valley, consisting of 240 acres, 160 acres being under cultivation, the balance being grass and timber land. There are nearly forty acres in timber, the greater part of it being native timber. He has a considerable number of cattle and about one hundred head of hogs.
JEREMIAH DINSLOW, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Hooper, was born in Oneida County, N. Y., May 7, 1845. His father having died, his mother came to Nebraska in 1856, arriving in November of that year at Fontanelle, where two daughters were living. His mother died in 1858. He continued to make Fontanelle his home for several years, engaging in freighting across the plains to Denver, until the completion of the U. P. R. R. He then came to Dodge County, locating on Section 28, living in that vicinity since that time. He married in Dodge County, Neb., April 13, 1869, Miss Aurelia P. Harwood, who died in November, 1879, leaving one child--Jay. He married, August 20, 1880, Miss Annie M. Sutton, a resident of Dodge County. They have one child--May. Mr. D. is a large land-owner, having 1,080 acres in one body at his present residence, over two-thirds of which are in cultivation, 125 acres in pasture fence and the rest meadow, besides forty acres in timber on the Elkhorn River and the undivided one-half of 320 acres in Sections 16 and 34, all being in cultivation. During the year 1881, he had a herd of 250 head of cattle, 100 head being fat cattle. He has now a large herd, also 150 head of hogs. He is a member of Hooper Lodge, No. 72, A., F. & A. M., at Hooper, and Signet Chapter, No. 8, and Mt. Tabor Commandery, No. 9, at Fremont. He is a stanch Democrat.
C. F. EISELEY, hardware merchant, Hooper, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, July 3, 1838. He emigrated to America in 1852, locating in Pittsburgh, Penn., where he learned the confectionery trade. Was afterward employed as pastry cook on steam-boats running between Pittsburgh and St. Louis on the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers, until 1858. He then came to Nebraska, locating on Section 8, Town 19, Range 8, Dodge County. He has 320 acres, 160 acres in cultivation, the rest in grass land, of which thirty acres are in pasture under fence. He lived on his farm until 1874, when he moved to Hooper, and building his present store buildings, engaged in hardware and implement business, which he has since carried on. Carries a stock of $3,000 in hardware, stoves, etc., and $2,500 in agricultural implements. He has an excellent trade, which is rapidly and largely increasing. Mr. E. has been prominently identified with Territorial and State governments. Was a member of the Territorial Legislature of Nebraska in 1865, and was elected a member of the State Legislature in 1877 and re-elected in 1879. He is a strong Republican, taking an active part in politics in Dodge County. He married near Davenport, Iowa, in January, 1864, Miss Josephine Whitney, who was born in Medina County, Ohio. They have three children--Francis, Clyde and Horace. Mr. E. is a member of Hooper Lodge, No. 72, A., F. & A. M.
O. A. HINEBAUGH, retired, Hooper, was born in Erie County, Penn., October 30, 1825, living there until 1849, when he moved to Kane County, Ill., where he resided three years. He then went to De Kalb County, residing there until June, 1856, when he removed to Nebraska, locating on the north side of Maple Creek, on Section 5, Town 18, Range 8, Dodge County. He lived on that farm fourteen years. He then moved to Hooper, building the first elevator at that point. He engaged in the grain business, and for four years he had no opposition, doing during a portion of the time a business of $20,000 per month. He continued in the grain business seven years, and during this time he built the elevator now owned by Morse & Ritter. At the same time, he farmed 700 acres of land with hired help. During the last five years, he has rented his land and is not now engaged in any active business, further than overseeing and improving his farms. He married in Dodge County, Neb., Feb. 5, 1859, Miss Elsina Canaga, who was born in Harrison County, Ohio. They have three children living--Charles, Orlando and Ella.
LOOSCHEN & WIEKHORST, dealers in general merchandise, Hooper, have been doing business the past three years at Hooper. They carry a stock of $8,000 and enjoy a large patronage.
HENRY H. LOOSCHEN was born in Hanover, Germany, Dec. 13, 1855. He emigrated to America in 1872, stopping a short time in Pekin, Ill. He then came to Nebraska, and for a time attended the Great Western Business College at Omaha. Moving to Fremont, Neb., he was employed for five years as a clerk in Fuhrman's store. He was married at Hooper, Neb., January 7, 1882, to Miss Fredina Heina, who was born in Reading, Penn. Mr. L. is a member of Hooper Lodge, No. 72, A., F. & A. M., at Hooper and Centennial Lodge, No 59, I. O. O. F. In politics, he is a Democrat. Has been a Clerk of the Town Board of Hooper two years and in the spring of 1882 was elected one of the Trustees of that town.
MORSE & RITTER, grain and stock dealers, Hooper, have been in grain and stock business the past ten years, feeding annually 400 to 700 head of cattle. They handle a large amount of grain, shipping upward of 700 cars of grain per year. They are also engaged in lumber business, handling 125 cars annually, besides fifty cars of posts. Their stock shipments average 250 cars. They also have a large farm in Everett Precinct, where Mr. Ritter resides. In addition to their business in Hooper, they have a general supply store at Long Pine, Neb.
C. L. MORSE, of the above firm, was born in Lincoln Co., Me., May 19, 1843. In 1864, he enlisted in the Seventh Maine Volunteers (unassigned), serving in the Heavy Artillery until July, 1865, when he was discharged. He then returned to his home in Maine, living there a short time. He afterward went to sea, shipping as a sailor, and following that business until 1868, when he came West, locating in Dodge County. He was engaged in the grain business at Central City, Neb., two years, and after closing that out he moved to Hooper, where he has since resided. He was married in Dodge County, Neb., in April, 1873, to Miss Velona Skinner, who was born in Michigan. They have three children--Hattie R., Milton Le Roy and Walter A. In politics, he is a Republican.
JOHN ROMBERG, farmer, Section 1, Town 20, Range 7, P. O. Scribner, was born in the city of Hanover, Germany, May 24, 1836. He learned the trade of brick-mason following that almost continuously about eighteen years. He came to American in 1862, locating in Miami County, Ohio. The next year, he went to Stephenson County, Ill., living there three years. He then returned to Germany, and brought over his parents and family, remaining during the winter in Stephenson County, Ill., and going to Harrison County, Iowa, the next spring, living there until 1872. He was then married in Dunlap, Harrison Co., Iowa, in the spring of 1868, to Miss Annie Schulte, who was born in the Province of Hanover. She died in September, 1881, leaving five children--Albert, Dora, Fannie, George and John. He and his brother George own two sections of land adjoining. They have 450 acres together in pasture under fence. Of his own farm, 220 acres are in cultivation. He raises thoroughbred cattle, keeping on hand about one hundred head. He keeps also about one hundred head of hogs on hand. He first came to Nebraska in 1870, and purchased of the railroad company the tract of land on which his house now stands. He then returned to Iowa and in 1872 moved his family to his land, where he has since resided. He, in partnership with C. D. Gardanier, has just opened a brickyard, one mile northeast of Scribner, with a capacity of from 130,000 to 140,000 per kiln. They employ seven men. He is a member of Hooper Lodge, No. 72, A., F. & A. M. In politics, he is a strong Democrat. He was appointed to take the census in his precinct in 1880.
A. M. SPOONER & CO., successors to L. M. Kellogg & Co., dealers in grain, lumber, live stock and coal, Hooper, have been doing business since April 1, 1882, when A. M. Spooner became a partner. They do a large business, handling upward of one thousand cars of produce per year. Their elevator has a capacity of 20,000 bushels.
A. M. SPOONER, manager of the above firm, was born in Jamestown, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., November 15, 1850, residing there, engaged in teaching school, book-keeping, etc., until the spring of 1877, when he came West, locating first at Fremont, Neb.., where he remained until the spring of 1881. He then moved to Hooper, and engaged in dealing in cattle until he entered into his present business. He is a member of Hooper Lodge, No. 72, A., F. & A. M., Hooper, Neb. In politics, he is a Republican, and how holds the office of Justice of the Peace of Hooper Precinct.
F. M. TILLMAN, proprietor of the Tillman House, Hooper, was born in Prussia May 10, 1824. Emigrated to America in 1850, working several years in a tannery at Detroit, Mich. He was married, November 25, 1855, to Miss Anna Enderly, who was born in Switzerland and reared in Alsace. She came to America in 1854. They have seven children--Joseph, Mary, Maggie, Lizzie, Frank, August and Katie. After his marriage, he moved to the copper mines on Lake Superior, where he kept a large boarding-house until 1868, when he moved to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County and engaging in farming. He was the first settler on the table-land between Pebble and Maple Creeks. He has a good farm of 240 acres on Section 26, Town 19, Range 6, all under cultivation and well improved. At present it is carried on by one of his sons, Joseph Tillman. In the fall of 1881, he purchased the hotel now called the "Tillman House," which he has refitted and furnished. It has sixteen sleeping-rooms, affording accommodations for thirty guests, besides office, parlor, dining-room, etc. The house is well kept by its genial and hospitable proprietor. Mr. T. is a strong Democrat and has been prominently identified with the county government since he became a resident. He was twice elected County Commissioner, discharging the duties of that office in a manner satisfactory to himself and his constituents.
MAJ. EVERT VAN BUREN, physician and surgeon, Hooper, was born in Buffalo, N. Y., Mach 9, 1840; was brought up in Penn Yan, Yates Co., N. Y., and received his education at Canandaigua Academy. After graduating there, he went to Chicago, where he resided the greater part of the time until 1869. He is a graduate of Rush Medical College at Chicago, and has been practicing medicine the past eighteen years. He enlisted as a private in Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-second Illinois Volunteers. At Paducah, Ky., he was put in charge of the colored hospital of the Eighth United States Colored Heavy Artillery. After the expiration of his term of service, he returned to Chicago, taking another course of lectures during the fall and winter. In February following, he enlisted as Assistant Surgeon in the One Hundred and Forty-seventh Illinois Volunteers. He was afterward promoted to Surgeon, with the rank of Major. At Dalton, Ga., he was placed in charge of the hospital of the First Brigade, Second Division, of the Army of the Cumberland. He continued with his regiment until discharged, by general order, at Savannah, Ga. After his discharge, he returned to Chicago, engaging in the practice of his profession about a year; then went to Lamonte, where he resided until December, 1869, when he came to Nebraska, locating at Fremont, and living there until 1880, when he moved to Hooper, where he has since resided. He is a very skillful and successful surgeon and physician. He was formerly Vice President of the Nebraska State Medical Society, and is now a permanent member of the American Medical Association, there being but three others from Nebraska now residing in the State. He is an active leader in the Democratic party in Dodge County, and has been twice elected Coroner on that ticket; is now serving his second term. He was three times a member of the Fremont City Council and has been a member and President of the Town Council of Hooper two terms.
PETER WIEKHORST was born in Holstein, Germany, April 22, 1845. He came to America in 1869, locating in Stephenson Co., Ill., engaging in farming in that county until 1874. He then moved to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County, and engaged in farming until he entered into his present business. He married in Stephenson County, Ill., December 18, 1869, Miss Amelia Dahl, who was born in Holstein, Germany. They have one child--Edward. Mr. W. is a Democrat.
WILLIAM E. WILSON, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Hooper, was born in Cleveland, Ohio; February 24, 1840. His parents moved to Lorain County, Ohio, when he was three years old. He lived there until twenty-two years old, marrying there, March 8, 1862, Miss Jane Harrison. They have one child--John Harrison. Soon after his marriage, he moved to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County, where he has since resided. During the first five years of his residence in the county, he was Postmaster at Jalapa, receiving a salary of $5 per year. During the past eight years, he has lived at his present residence, where he has 320 acres, 120 acres in cultivation, 70 acres in pasture under fence, the rest meadow land. He is largely interested in live stock, keeping a herd of 100 head of cattle at all times, besides a considerable number of hogs and horses.
E. C. BURNS, farmer, Section 28, Town 20, Range 7, P. O. Scribner, was born in Ontario County, N. Y., November 13, 1838. When he was three years old, his parents moved to Kalamazoo County, Mich., where he remained until seventeen years old. He then went to Iowa, remaining there about two years. He then went to Steuben County, Ind. In about 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry, serving in the Army of the Potomac until December, 1864, when he was discharged. He was taken prisoner in November, 1863, and held one year. After his discharge, he returned to Steuben County, Ind., where he was married, in October 15, 1865, to Miss Melissa E. Getter. They have nine children--Frank, John, Robert, Birge, Mary, Mark, Sarah, Willie and Elnora. In June, 1869, Mr. B. removed from Indiana to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County. He has resided at his present residence since the spring of 1870. He has a farm of 120 acres of which 100 acres are under cultivation, the rest grass land. He has also 120 acres adjoining, which he farms. Of this tract, there are 40 acres in cultivation, the rest in pasture. He raises a considerable quantity of live stock, keeping on hand 30 head of cattle and 30 to 40 head of hogs for market. He is also engaged in raising thoroughbred horses, in which he takes great interest. Mr. B. is a stalwart Republican, and has twice held the office of County Commissioner of Dodge County. He is a member of McPherson Post, No. 4, G. A. R., at Fremont.
WILLIAM L. GOLDER, farmer, Section 30, Town 20, Range 6, P. O. Scribner, was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, April 8, 1835. He came to America in 1858, living until 1861 in La Salle County, Ill., and in Missouri and Kansas. He enlisted, in Kansas City, in 1861, in the First Battery Kansas Volunteer Infantry, serving three years. Two years of this time was passed on the frontier. He was then transferred to the Army of the Cumberland, where he remained until discharged at Johnsonville, Tenn., in 1864. After his discharge, he returned to Kansas for a short time, and then went to La Salle County, Ill., working at his trade of boot and shoe maker at different places. He married, in La Salle County, Ill., December 25, 1867, Miss Jane Isabella Douglas, who was born on Long Island, N. Y. They have five children--Nettie, Maggie, George, Nellie and William. In 1869, he moved to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County, where he has since resided. His farm, which is well located for stock-raising, consists of 415 acres, 250 acres in cultivation, 130 in pasture under fence, and the rest hay land. He has a considerable quantity of live stock; 50 head of cattle, 100 head of hogs, and several head of horses. He is a Republican.
N. D. HARDS, farmer, Section 20, Town 20, Range 7, P. O. Scribner, was born in Ann Arbor, Mich., May 11, 1840. When he was four years old, his parents moved to Henry County, Ill., living there until the fall of 1858. They then moved to Miami County, Kan. He remained there until the summer of 1860, when he went to South Bend, Ind., remaining nearly two years. He was married, August 18, 1860, to Miss Caroline M. Bunday, who was born in Randolph County, Ind. They have one child--Irena M. From South Bend, he went back to Henry County, Ill., where, for three years, he was engaged in buying horses for the Government. He then moved to Kansas, where he remained until June, 1874, when, after a trip through Illinois and Indiana, he located in Montgomery County, Iowa, living there four years. He then came to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County. He is now operating a large farm of 320 acres, 280 acres being in cultivation, the rest being pasture under fence. He is preparing to engage largely in feeding and raising stock. He is a member of Hooper Lodge, No. 72, A., F. & A. M.
ANDREW D. MURPHY, farmer, Section 12, Town 20, Range 6, P. O. Crowell, was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., January 15, 1832, living there until about thirteen years old, when his parents moved to Terre Haute, Ind. They afterward moved to Dubuque, Iowa, where he resided about four years. He then went to Keokuk, Iowa, engaging in mercantile business. Was afterward employed as a clerk, and then went to Jo Daviess Co., Ill., where he engaged in teaching school until 1861, when he enlisted in Company A, Third Iowa Volunteer Infantry; was taken prisoner at Lexington, Mo., and was paroled. He returned to Dubuque, and enlisted in Company G. Sixteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war. He was promoted to Lieutenant, and resigned at Washington, D. C., on his return from the South. He was also Quartermaster of the Sixteenth. After his resignation, he returned to Jo Daviess County, Ill., and again engaged in teaching until 1879, when he came to Nebraska. He married, at West Point, Neb., July, 1879, Mrs. Clarissa R. Hoy, widow of John Hoy, and daughter of T. S. Parks. She has one son and four daughters, children of her first husband--George P., Elsie, Belle, Laura and Florence A. The farm consists of 240 acres--80 acres in cultivation--160 acres in grass and timber. This tract is known as the "Dead Timber," from the fact that in early times a fire raged there for three weeks, burning up all the timber then growing there. There is also another farm near West Point, Cuming Co., Neb., which is in a good state of cultivation. Mr. M. also deals to some extent in live stock.
C. T. PULSIFER, farmer, Section 2, Town 20, Range 6, P. O. Crowell, was born in Grafton County, N. H., in 1835. He came to Nebraska in 1861, and in that year he enlisted in the first battalion of cavalry raised in Nebraska. It was afterward consolidated at St. Louis, Mo., with the Iowa troops, and he became member of Company A, Fifth Iowa Cavalry. He served three years in the Army of the Cumberland, and was discharged near Atlanta, Ga. He then returned to Nebraska, and being employed on the Union Pacific survey for a time, during the past fifteen years, he has lived in Cuming and Dodge Counties. He was married, in Cuming County, Neb., in October, 1869, to Miss Barbara Long. They have four children--John C., Martha E., Carrie M. and Charles B. F. Mr. P. has a fine farm of 400 acres, 150 acres under cultivation, 80 acres in native timber, the rest grass land. He has been raising and dealing in cattle the past thirteen years, and has 100 head on hand; keeps fifty to sixty head of hogs. He is a Republican, and was elected Surveyor of Cuming County during his residence there. He is a member of Jordan Lodge, No 27, A., F. & A. M., at West Point.
S. B. PARKS, farmer, Section 21, Town 20, Range 7, P. O. Scribner, was born in White County, Ill., August 28, 1835. When he was only two years old, his parents moved to Galena, Ill., where he resided until 1858. In May of that year, he came to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County, on the Elkhorn River, on claims taken up by his father the year previous. He then engaged in farming and stock-raising. In 1859, the Pawnees destroyed his entire herd. At that time, there was not a house or any land broken by the road between his house and Fremont, and only two houses between his place and the Missouri River. He had to go to Omaha to market, and to Ft. Calhoun and St. Johns to mill, having to wait on one trip two weeks for his grist, living during that time on mush and milk alone. There being no bridges, he had to swim his cattle across various streams, and then attach a rope to his wagon, draw that over, and take his load over in a boat. He hauled his wheat to Omaha, receiving 35 cents per bushel. He married, in Cuming Precinct, Dodge County, Neb., January 2, 1865, Miss Mary E. Robinson. They have three children--Annie E., Nettie E. and Mary A. Mr. P. is a strong Democrat, and takes an active interest in politics.
THOMAS S. PARKS, farmer, Section 21, Town 20, Range 7, P. O. Scribner, was born in Burke County, N. C., May 23, 1804, living there a few years. When he was seven years old, his father died. When he was nineteen years old, he bought a farm in Buncombe County, N. C., to which his mother and family removed. He then married, January 6, 1829, Miss Ann Miller, who was born near the Yadkin, in Wilkes County, N. C. They have four children--Thomas, Samuel P., Clarissa, Rebecca (married to A. D. Murphy), and Mary Ann, married to Charles W. Robinson. Two years after his marriage, he moved to White County, Ill., living there four years. He then went to Galena, residing there until 1870; engaged in farming and mining. In 1857, he came to Nebraska and located the land where he now lives. Two years later, he attended the first land sales at Omaha, purchasing 1,600 acres along the Elkhorn River. Of this quantity, he still owns 255 acres, 170 being in cultivation, the rest grass and timber land. He has a fine young orchard on his farm, covering three acres, and consisting of various kind of fruit. Mr. P. is a Democrat, though he does not take an active part in politics.
THOMAS H. PARKS, farmer, Section 29, Town 20, Range 7, P. O. Scribner, Dodge County, Neb., was born February 18, 1833, in White County, Ill., living in that county and at Galena, Ill., until the spring of 1858, when he and his brother, Samuel B., came to Nebraska, settling on claims taken up by their father the year before. He lived there until after the Pawnee war, and then went across the plains to Nevada, where for two years, he followed freighting and ranching. He then went to California, remaining about eight years, engaged in farming and freighting. He married, at San Jose, Cal., in October, 1871, Miss Luvena Cahill, a native of Missouri. They have two children--Thomas H. and William H. After his marriage, he returned to Galena, Ill., remaining there one year. He then came to Nebraska a second time, locating on his present farm, consisting of eighty acres, all in cultivation. He has 200 acres on Section 30; grass and timber land.
CHARLES W. ROBINSON, farmer, Section 29, Town 20, Range 7, P. O. Scribner, was born in Jo Daviess County, Ill., October 27, 1855. He is the son of J. B. and Caroline Robinson, who moved to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County in the spring of 1859. He was married in Cuming Precinct, Dodge County, Neb., March 25, 1875, to Miss Mary A Parks, daughter of Thomas S. and Ann Parks. She also was born in Jo Daviess County, Ill. They have one child--Maud Ella. He has a good farm of 200 acres, sixty acres in cultivation, the rest meadow and pasture land, a portion being under cultivation. His farm is well suited for live-stock raising in which he is interested to some extent.
FRANK E. SMITH, farmer, Section 18, Town 20, Range 7, P. O. Galena, was born in Steuben County, Ind., January 28, 1861. He is the son of Birge and Marietta Smith. Has resided in Nebraska the past five years. He was married at Scribner, Dodge County, Neb., November 18, 1880, to Miss Ella Wright, daughter of Matthew and Maria Wright. They have one child--Georgia. The farm which he is operating belongs to him and to his mother and grandmother who reside with him. It consists of four hundred acres, two hundred and seventy acres in cultivation, and the rest grass land, of which twenty-five acres are in pasture under fence. He is also engaged in breeding and raising horses.
JOHN R. SMITH, farmer, Section 12, Town 20, Range 6, P. O. Scribner, was born in Hocking County, Ohio, June 19, 1827. He there learned the trade of potter. When he attained his majority, he went to Louisville, Ky., working there three years at his trade. During the next two years he worked at his trade at New Albany, Ind. He was there married October 1, 1854, to Miss Barbara E. Keller, who was born at New Albany. They have seven children living--Clara (who married John Keeler), Laura (who married G. W. Whitehorn), Mary (who married A. M. Whitehorn), William Clement, Effie and Ada (from New Albany). He moved to Clark County, Ill., where for twelve years he engaged in farming. In 1870, he moved to Nebraska, locating at his present residence, which is in the site of the town of Manhattan. His farm consists of 346 acres, 226 acres in cultivation. The rest is pasture under fence. He is largely interested in live-stock raising, keeping from seventy to one hundred head of the best grade of cattle on hand, and feeding a considerable number every year. He also keeps from fifty to one hundred head of hogs. Mr. S. and his family are members of the Congregational Church at Scribner.