Location and Natural Features | Water Powers|
Grain and Fruit Raising | Early History
Early History of Fremont | A Reminiscence|
Organization | Means of Communication|
County Schools--County Poor
The County Agricultural Society
Fremont: Corporate History | Schools | City Park|
Fremont (cont.): The Press | Fire Department | Fires|
The First and The Last Murder | Societies
Business of Fremont | Banks | Shed's Opera House
Fremont (cont.): Hotels | Board of Trade|
Manufactories | Biographical Sketches
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
North Bend: Early History | The North Bend of Today|
North Bend (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Scribner: Biographical Sketches|
Pebble: Biographical Sketches
Hooper: Biographical Sketches|
Cuming Precinct: (Biographical Sketches)
Everett Precinct | Maple Precinct
Union Precinct | Webster Precinct | Elkhorn Precinct
List of Illustrations in Dodge County Chapter
HON. J. R. CANTLIN, member of the House, Sixteenth Session, Nebraska Legislature, farmer, Section 26, Town 19, Range 5 east, P. O. Webster, born at Ottawa, Canada, July 22, 1841. His parents moved to Ogle County, Ill., when he was five years old, living there nearly two years. They then moved to La Salle County, where he resided about twenty-one years, engaging in farming. In 1862, he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Fourth Illinois Volunteers, serving three years in the Army of the Cumberland. He was discharged on account of disability in 1865. The next year, he was employed as assistant station agent of the C., B. & Q. R. R., at Riverside, and other stations in Illinois for three years. He married at Mendota, Ill., February 12, 1866, Miss Eliza M. Curran, who was born in Johnstown, Penn. They have seven children--John Henry, Ella Maud, George William, Charles Edgar, Robert E., Frank C. and Edna Josephine. In 1869, he came to Nebraska, going into the employ of the U. P. R. R. as agent, as North Platte, where he remained two years. He then came to Dodge County, locating at his present residence in Union Precinct. He has a large farm of 440 acres, 165 in cultivation, the rest grass land, thirty acres being in pasture, under fence. He has a good herd of cattle of good grade, which he is preparing to increase largely. He feeds for market about one hundred head of hogs annually. Mr. Cantlin is a prominent leader of the Republican party in Dodge County, and takes an active part in State and county politics. He has also been closely identified with the Dodge County Agricultural Society, having been a Director, and held the offices of Vice President and Secretary and doing much to make it successful. He is a member of the Catholic Church.
ALEXANDER W. CHISHOLME, farmer, Section 6, P. O. North Bend, was born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, August 18, 1825; he came to America in 1847, living in Boston principally, until the war; at that time he belonged to the Boston Tigers. He enlisted in the Second Massachusetts Volunteers, in 1861, and was in the Forty-third Massachusetts Volunteers nine months, in the Quartermaster's Department, and discharged at Readville, Mass. Re-enlisted in the Seventeenth Massachusetts Volunteers until the close of the war, he having been through North Carolina campaign and South Carolina; he was at the battle of Antietam, and was wounded slightly at Dismal Swamp; was forty days in the hospital, and at Gettysburg, the last day of battle, after that brush, only 121 of the old regiment answered roll-call, out of 800 in his regiment; was promoted to Sergeant Major. He was discharged in June, 1865, at Boston. He then went to Chicago, where he married, April 18, 1870, Christina Smith, who was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, August 1, 1825. In the fall of that year, 1870, he came to Nebraska. His farm consists of 160 acres, is finely located, eighty acres in cultivation, five acres in orchard and shade trees, and the rest grass and pasture. He is, to some extent, interested in live stock, such as cattle, horses and hogs. He was a millwright in Scotland, but since he came to America he has followed the carpenter's trade. He is a Republican Greenbacker.
HUGH FOY, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Webster, was born in Londonderry, Ireland, October 3, 1840. His parents emigrated to America when he was only four years old. They located at Nashville, Tenn., where he lived twenty-one years. He there learned the cooper's trade by direction of his father, through he preferred the life of a farmer. During his youth, he frequently took a horse from his father's stable at night and worked in the field by moonlight, besides using other means to satisfy his desire, such as bribing the slaves with tobacco to let him hold the plow handle, etc. In 1865, he started North to get him a farm going to Wisconsin, and afterward working at his trade in Davenport, Iowa, and at Chicago, until 1867, when he went to Omaha, Neb., living there nearly six years. The first year, he was employed in the Union Pacific Railroad freighthouse. During the next two years, he was in the employ of Creighton & Morgan, in the store and traveling for them and then for over two years was employed as foreman for Bailey & Wightman, grain dealers. He was married at Omaha, August 31, 1869, to Miss Charlotte Kern, who was born in County Clare, Ireland. They have six children living--Mary Ellen, John James, Charlotte Barbara, Anna, Hugh and Emma. In 1873, he moved to his farm, which he had previously purchased, and has since resided there. His farm, consisting of 200 acres, is well arranged. Along the eastern side of his house are barn and other buildings, pasture and meadow, there being a separate pasture for his cattle, horses and hogs, and each having plenty of running water. His farming land lies on the west side. The entire farm as well as each pasture, the house lot and meadow is surrounded by a row of thrifty box-elder trees, which he intends to use in making wire fence. His place now presents a very fine appearance, and in a few years will be one of the finest farms in Nebraska. Mr. Foy is one of the best farmers in the State. He takes great care in planting and cultivating his crops, giving his entire attention to his farm and stock. He is a strong Democrat, and takes an active and prominent part in political matters. He has been Deputy Sheriff of Dodge County. He is a member of the Catholic Church. Mr. Foy makes a specialty of raising hogs, devoting much attention to that and raising horses, of which he has some very fine ones.
JAMES HARVIE, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Webster, was born in Ayrshre, Scotland, December 12, 1848. He emigrated to America in the fall of 1870, coming direct to Nebraska, and locating at present residence, which he took as a homestead. His parents came at the same time, and he resides with them. He has 240 acres, his father owning the remaining acres of the west half of Section 14. Of the two tracts, 180 acres are in cultivation, eighteen acres in trees, and the rest in grass land, eighty acres being in pasture under fence. He has a good herd of young cattle, also markets a considerable number of hogs annually. He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church. He is a stanch Republican. Mr. Harvie takes great interest in school matters; frequently visits the school in his district and gives it great attention. He has been a member of the School Board.
ANDREW HARVEY, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Webster, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, April 3, 1844. He immigrated to America in 1866, living near Cleveland, Ohio, until the spring of 1869, when he came to Nebraska and took up a homestead claim at his present residence. He married, at Omaha, Neb., March 9, 1873, Miss Maggie Ritchie, who was born in County Farfar, Scotland. They have four children--Jeanie, Elizabeth, Mary Ann and Maggie. His farm consists of 240 acres, well suited for farming and stock raising. He has 125 acres in cultivation, eight acres in trees and the rest in grass, ten acres being tame grass. He is extensively engaged in lives-stock raising, keeping on hand an average of fifty head of cattle, as many hogs and a number of horses, marketing a fair number of each annually. He and his family are members of the United Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a Republican.
JACOB C. HASSON, farmer, Section 4, was born in County Derry, Ireland, January 2, 1817. He there married, May 18, 1847, Miss Isabella Rodgers. They have six children--Jane, Sarah, Robert C., Rose Anna, Thomas John, Andrew R. Soon after his marriage, he sailed for America, landing in New York City, where he lived seven years. He then went to Bureau County, Ill., where he resided fourteen years. He moved to Polk County, Ia., in 1868, living there until 1871, when he moved to Nebraska, locating at his present residence in Dodge County. His farm, consisting of eighty acres, is well improved--good house, barn, etc., and all in cultivation. He also has 120 acres on Section 5, sixty being in cultivation and the rest grass land under fence. He is a leading member and Deacon of the Gilmore Congregational Church. He is a Republican.
EBEN IVES, farmer, Section 36, P. O. North Bend, was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, October 18, 1827, living there until eighteen years old. He then went to Des Moines County, Iowa. He afterward went to California in 1850, engaging in mining nearly three years. He then returned to Des Moines County, living there until 1862. He was there married, May 8, 1862, to Miss Caroline Arnold, who was born in that county. They have seven children--Edgar A., Katie, Annie, Eben Albert, Nellie, Carrie Bell and an infant. Soon after his marriage, he moved to Oregon, engaging in stock-raising about five years. He then returned to Des Moines County, living there one year and a half. He again started for the Pacific Coast in the spring of 1869. When he reached Dodge County, he concluded to go no farther, and located on Maple Creek, in the vicinity of his present residence. For some time after his arrival, he had no house and had to camp out with his family, using his wagon as a shelter. He has a fine farm of 440 acres, well suited for farming and stock-raising; of which 120 acres are in cultivation, 200 acres in pasture under fence and the rest meadow land. He is extensively engaged in raising cattle and horses and mules, having a herd of seventy-five head of cattle and twenty horses and mules. He feeds a good number of cattle for market every winter. Mr. I. is a strong Democrat and takes an active interest in politics.
DANIEL JONES, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Webster, was born in Monmouthshire, England, October 7, 1843. His parents came to America in 1856, locating three miles north of Omaha, Neb. He lived near Omaha until January, 1870, when he moved to his present residence in Dodge County. He was married in Chateaugay, Franklin Co., N. Y., January 19, 1876, to Miss Fannie L. Roberts, who was born in that county. They have two children living--Martha and Pearl. He has a fine farm of 240 acres, well improved, 120 acres in cultivation and the rest in grass land. He has another tract of eighty acres on Section 28, all of which is under cultivation. Mr. J. is also quite largely interested in live stock, having a good herd of young cattle at the present time, besides a considerable number of hogs and horses.
PATRICK KELLEY, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Pleasant Valley, was born in County Wicklow, Ireland, December 24, 1837. He emigrated to America in 1858, living in Lake and Cuyahoga Counties, Ohio, until 1869. He married, in Lake County, Ohio, June 4, 1860, Miss Mary Brennan, who was born in County Wexford, Ireland. They have eight children--Thomas, Michael, Martin, Margaret, Ellen, Cornelius, Mary and Patrick. He came to Nebraska, locating at his present residence. He is one of the largest land-owners and farmers in the county, having 560 acres, 300 acres in cultivation, the rest grass land. He is also largely interested in live stock, having a good herd of cattle and keeping a considerable number of hogs. He is a member of the Catholic Church.
C. P. MABEN, farmer, Section 8, P. O. North Bend, was born in Greene Co., N. Y., July 16, 1829, living there until twenty-one years old; he then went to Stephenson County, Ill., residing there nine years. He was married in Broome County, N. Y., March 9, 1850, to Miss Phoebe Hunt, a native of that county. They have seven children--Luther, Grover, Sarah, Mary, William, Chester and James. From Stephenson County, Ill., he moved to Nebraska, living in Omaha about two years; in 1862, he moved to Adams County, Neb.; he there engaged in farming, keeping a ranch and Government contracting. During the first year of his residence, he broke seventy-five acres and put in a crop, but received but little or no return, nor at any time was he successful in raising a crop. Land that was thought worthless at that time for farming has become, owing to climatic changes or other causes, very productive. He had to rely almost entirely upon contracting and his ranch. He and his family experienced much trouble with the Sioux Indians previous to and during the Sioux outbreak in 1864. In the fall of 1863, they first gave trouble, going to his ranch during his absence, and finding Mrs. M. alone, they forced their way into the house, helping themselves to all eatables and other supplies they could find, destroying what they did not want, and threatening her with death when she refused to let them into another room where most of the supplies were kept; before they were able to force themselves into that room, they were frightened off by the approach of a long freight train. In the following February, they again visited the ranch while Mr. M. was cutting wood on the Platte River, and demanded admittance, but were refused by Mrs. M., who sent after her husband by her son, who was hauling the wood across the river. Mr. M. went to the house, and, after putting most of their supplies in the bedroom, he admitted the Indians to the room kept for travelers, built a fire and furnished them with meat, bread and other eatables. With this they were not satisfied, but forced their way into the room where the family were, and, failing to find other supplies there, attempted to enter the bedroom, but were prevented by Mr. M., who stood at the door, though they threatened to scalp him, having their knives and tomahawks drawn; while they were thus parleying, Mrs. M. had started her oldest son to the nearest neighbor's, eight miles distant, for help, but they discovered her intentions and became very angry, threatening the whole family with death, and detaining the boy, though they were told he was only going out after the stock. After a time, they desisted in their attempt to enter the bedroom, but remained two days; they then left, and the next day killed a Mr. Smith, his two sons and a boy named Johnson, who were getting wood about four miles from Mr. M's ranch. A day or two after, a short wagon train arrived, and was at the ranch when the Indians returned, and, not noticing the wagons on the other side of the house, they entered and attempted to break into the family's room, but when they had almost broken in, they discovered that Mr. M had help, and took their departure. They continued to give trouble in this way until the general outbreak in August, 1864, when they made a simultaneous attack along a line of 300 miles. At that time, Mr. M. took his family to Ft. Kearney, and after two weeks, thinking the Indians had become more quiet, he returned to his ranch for his supplies; on the night of his arrival at his ranch, Indians attacked his nearest neighbor (George Martin), who with his two sons was hauling hay; they wounded him and killed one of the horses; he then got down from his load, and, taking the other horse, escaped to his house. In the meantime, the boys, who were some distance behind him, having an oxteam and a horse in the lead, had mounted the horse and started for a cornfield. The Indians, finding that they could not capture Mr. Martin, turned their attention to the boys, wounding both with arrows, and thinking they were dead, took the horse and rode off. Mr Martin, thinking the boys were killed, took the rest of the family and started for Maben's ranch, four miles distant; the Indians pursued them some distance, until they saw Mr. M. approaching, he having discovered the trouble while looking with a telescope from his ranch, and started to assist his friends and neighbors. They all stopped with a wagon train all night, and the next morning, a party, including Martin and Maben, went to secure the bodies of the boys--who they supposed had been killed--and obtain some supplies. On their arrival, they found the boys in bed in the house, they having been seriously, though not fatally, wounded; they had, after the departure of the Indians, pulled themselves apart (one arrow having wounded both), and crawled to the house; they there attended to their wounds as well as they could in the darkness, though they were unable to extract the arrows; these were afterward cut out with a pocket knife by Mr. Maben and others after the boys had been removed to the train. Mr. M. then sent his two boys, who were with him, to Nebraska City, with the wagon train. He then returned to the ranch and remained until his supplies were removed to Ft. Kearney. He then took his family and went to Glenwood, Iowa, where they lived during the next winter; he returned to Ft. Kearney, where he was pressed into Government service, hauling supplies to the soldiers in different places; in the spring of the next year, he took his family to Ft. McPherson, Lincoln Co., Neb., where he again ran a ranch. While there, he held the office of Justice of the Peace. In the spring of 1868, he removed to Washington County, Neb., and engaged in farming; in 1870, he moved to his present residence; he has a fine farm of 160 acres, all in cultivation except twenty acres in pasture, under fence;; he and his sons--Luther and Grover Maben--have a stock ranch of 1,000 acres in Holt County, Neb., which is known as Maben Bros'. ranch; on this they have a large herd of cattle; he keeps a good herd on his home farm. He is a stanch Democrat.
DAVID ALDEN PETTEGREW, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Webster, son of D. A. and Lydia Pettegrew, was born in Lee County, Iowa, June, 1844. He came to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County, in May, 1869. He married at Florence, Douglas Co., Neb., Miss Melissa Barnes, who was born in Pennsylvania. They have three children living--Earnest J., Lydia and Suwano. His farm, lying on the north side of Section 30, consists of 120 acres, sixty acres under cultivation, and the rest grass land. He is to some extent interested in raising live stock. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
D. A. PETTEGREW, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Webster, was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, Mach 8, 1819. While he was an infant, his parents moved to Dearborn County, Ind., where he resided until thirteen years old. In 1840, they moved to Lee County, Iowa being among the first settlers in that county. He then married Miss Lydia Shaw, May 21, 1843, who was born in Clermont County, Ohio. They have seven children--David Alden, Caroline, married to Madison Roberts; Hattie, married to Frank Plantz; Mary, married to Charles Townsend; Lucinda, Dora and Charles. Mr. Pettegrew has a good farm of eighty acres, all in cultivation except fifteen acres in meadow. He is a democrat.
JAMES ROBERTSON, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Webster, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, June 21, 1843; he there married, November 23, 1865, Miss Jeannette Kirkwood; she died September 21, 1880, leaving five children--John, William, James, Thomas and Ann. He was again married in Dodge County, Neb., July 6, 1881, to Miss Eliza McCreath, who is of Scotch descent; she was born in Illinois. Mr. R. emigrated to America in 1865, locating in Summit County, Ohio, where he remained a little over three years; in April, 1869, he came to Nebraska, locating in Webster (now Union) Precinct, Dodge Co; he has 120 acres--ninety-two acres in cultivation, the rest pasture under fence; his farm is well improved and well stocked; keeps thirty head of cattle, and feeds about seventy head of hogs annually for market. He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church; in politics, he is a Republican.
HUGH ROBERTSON, farmer, Section 24, Town 19, Range 5 east, P. O. Webster, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland. August 30, 1846; he emigrated to America in July, 1868; arriving in Nebraska in September of that year; he located at his present residence in Dodge County, where he has a good farm of 200 acres--160 in cultivation, ten acres being in timber, and the remaining forty acres in pasture under fence. He deals to some extent in live stock, keeping about twenty head of cattle and sixty head of hogs, and raising some horses for market. His father and mother came to America in 1881, and now make their home with him. In politics, he is a Republican.
JOHN ROSS, farmer, Section 22, Town 19, Range 5, P. O. Pleasant Valley, was born in Saratoga County, N. Y., March 6, 1843. When fifteen years old, he went to Chicago, where for four years he was employed as a clerk in his uncle's bookstore. He then returned to his home in New York, working on his mother's farm two years. In 1863, he shipped in the United States Navy, serving two years, being one year in the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, off the coast of North Carolina, and the last year along the Gulf Coast, chiefly at Galveston. After his discharge, he returned to New York, and purchased a farm, which he operated two years. In 1866, he married Miss Adelaide R. Helling, who was born in Montgomery County, N. Y. They have five children--Mattie, William, Addie, John A. and Edith. In the spring of 1869, he moved to Nebraska and pre-empted the quarter section on which he now resides. He afterward abandoned this claim and located his soldier's warrant on the tract. Mr. R. has been very prosperous since coming to the State. When he arrived in Dodge County, he had nothing. He now has a good farm of 120 acres, ninety acres in cultivation, well stocked and free from incumbrance. His improvements are good. He has a grove of two acres, consisting of maple, ash, box elder, etc., which he panted. He takes great interest in educational matters; has been very influential and energetic in establishing and maintaining a good school in his district. He is a leading Republican in Union Precinct, and has served the precinct as its Assessor.
F. C. SCOTT, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Webster, was born in the town of Littleton, Grafton Co., N. H., June 2, 1826; he lived there until 1850, when he went to Massachusetts, working several years at pattern-making in the machine-shops of Lowell, Lawrence and East Boston. Was on the police force of Lowell two years, and a member of the police force of Boston five years; he was a member of the latter force at the time of the draft riot. He was married in New Hampshire, in September, 1852, to Miss Amanda Marshall; they had two children--Frank H. and Edwin L. In 1868, he started West, stopping one year in Chicago, in the employ of L. D. Boomer, a railroad bridge contractor; he then came to Nebraska, working in the pattern-shops at Omaha a while, and then came to Dodge County, locating at his present residence. His farm consists of 500 acres--300 acres in cultivation, is well improved; has good frame house, barn and other outbuildings, besides a large grove, some trees in which are one foot in diameter, which he planted. He has now sixty head of cattle, which, in addition to 800 that he has sold, sprang from two cows which he purchased when he first located in the State; he keeps from fifty to seventy-five head of hogs. He was married in Chicago, in 1869, to Miss Mary E. Savage, who is also a native of New Hampshire; they have two children--Lulie and Elmore J. Mr. S. is a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 15, A., F. & M., at Fremont, Neb. He is a Republican.
T. MOSES STUBBERT, farmer, Section 34, Town 19, Range 5 East, P. O. Pleasant Valley, was born in Nova Scotia June 6, 1833; when eighteen years old, he went with his father into Canada, thence to Pittston, Penn., on a visit to an elder brother, his father returning home; living there one year, he then went to Alton, Madison Co., Ill., where he resided four years, and in Monroe and Montgomery Counties till 1861. He was married in Monroe Co., Ill., March 25, 1858, to Miss Sarah Honea, who was born in Lincoln Co., Tenn. He enlisted in 1865, in Company H, Third Illinois Cavalry; after the close of the war, his regiment was sent into Dakota, after the Sioux Indians. After his discharge, he returned to Montgomery Co., Ill., and bought a small farm, on which he lived until 1869, when he sold his property and removed to Nebraska, locating at his present residence in Dodge County; his farm, consisting of 120 acres, lies mostly on the north side of Maple Creek, and is well situated for farming and stock-raising; he has four horses, about thirty-five hogs, and fifty head of graded cattle. Mr. S. is a carpenter; he began his trade with his father, and has followed it almost continuously up to the present time; he has built a great number of houses in this vicinity, and most of the bridges across Maple Creek for several miles in either direction from his house, besides bridges across other streams. He is a stanch Democrat.
JAMES GLENN, merchant and Postmaster, Glencoe, was born in Bedford County, Penn., August 6, 1832. He enlisted in Company H, Twenty-first Pennsylvania Cavalry, in 1863, serving a part of a year. In October, 1850, in Fulton County, Penn., he married Miss Mary Montgomery, who died June 29, 1872. In the fall of 1864, he went to Bureau County, Ill., remaining until 1869, when he moved to Nebraska, locating at his present residence, located on Section 34, Town 20, Range 5, in Dodge County. He has a farm of 160 acres, 120 acres in cultivation, the remainder grass and timber land, a portion being tame grass. During the past eight years, he has had a general store at Glencoe, carrying a stock of $2,000 and doing a yearly business of $6,000. He was married in Dodge County, Neb., September 18, 1875, to Isabella Rogers. They have two children--Guy Albert and Dot Mary. He is a Republican, and has been Postmaster at Glencoe the past eleven years. He was also Justice of the Peace of Webster Precinct two terms.
JOHN HEPBURN, farmer, Section 4, Town 19, Range 5, P. O. Glencoe, was born in Genesee County, N. Y., December 18, 1824. When he was eighteen years old, his parents moved to Scioto County, Ohio, where he resided for ten years. He then married, July 29, 1847, Miss Harriet H. Welcher, a native of that county. They have four children--William A., Elnora E., who is the wife of R. E. Doran; James A. and Charles W. From Scioto County he went to Parke County, Ind., where he resided three years, engaged in dealing in live stock in that and adjoining counties. He next moved to Polk County, Iowa, where he engaged in farming until 1871, when he moved to Nebraska, locating at his present residence in Webster Precinct, Dodge County. His farm consisting of eighty acres, and all in cultivation, is well-improved. He has a good frame house, barn, etc. There is also a grove of forest trees, covering ten acres, around his house. He has on Section 5 eighty acres of which fifty acres are in cultivation, and thirty acres grass land. Mr. H. is a Democrat. He takes an active interest in all educational matters. He was formerly a member of the Baptist Church, but, since his residence in Nebraska, he has been connected with the Congregational Church.
WILLIAM A. HEPBURN, farmer, Section 5, Town 19, Range 5, P. O. Glencoe, was born in Scioto County, Ohio, Aug. 13, 1848. He is the son of John and Harriet H. Hepburn, of Webster Precinct. He lived in Polk County, Iowa, until grown. Then went to Southwestern Missouri, where for three years he worked in the mines. He came to Nebraska in 1871, and in the fall of that year went to Des Moines, Iowa, and then to Galena, Ill., and various places in Wisconsin. In 1874, he returned to Dodge County, Neb., where he has since resided. He married at Fremont, Neb., August 28, 1878, Miss Lizzie McKinney. They have three children--Hattie Elizabeth, Winfrid Arthur and Lulu May. Mr. H. is a strong Democrat, and takes an active part in politics in his county. He is now a Justice of the Peace of Webster Precinct.
MOSES STURMER, farmer, Section 35, P. O. Glencoe, was born in Lincolnshire, England, February 20, 1853. His parents emigrated to America while he was an infant, locating first in Oneida County, N. Y., afterward moving to Racine, Wis., where they remained until the fall of 1860. They then moved to Leavenworth County, Mo. In February, 1861, they moved to Illinois, living while in Macoupin County, and then in Bureau County four years. They moved to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County, in February, 1873, where they have since resided. Mr. S. was married at Watson, in Bates County, Mo., May 25, 1880, to Miss Eva Ann Pitman, who was born in Lee County, Ill. They have one child--Edwin Jacob. He has a good farm of 160 acres, 120 acres in cultivation, the remainder grass land, of which twenty acres are in pasture under fence. He raises corn chiefly, besides wheat and oats. He keeps also twenty to thirty head of cattle, seventy-five head of hogs on hand at all times. In politics, he has always been a Republican.
DANIEL C. WESTFALL, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Glencoe, was born in Juniata County, Penn., December 22, 1844, living there until his twenty-second year. In 1863, he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Fifty-first Pennsylvania Volunteers, as Corporal, serving about a year in the First Army Corps, First Brigade, First Division of the Army of the Potomac. After his discharge, he returned to his home in Pennsylvania, living there until 1865. He then went to Bureau County, Ill., where he was married March 18, 1866, to Miss Susan Lewis, who was born in Franklin County, Penn. They have six children--McLain C., Emily C., Cloyde E., Lucien E., Daniel H. and Samuel D. After his marriage, he returned to Pennsylvania, living there until the spring of 1868, when he returned to Bureau County, Ill., living there until February, 1872. He then moved to Nebraska, locating at his present residence in Dodge County. His farm consists of 240 acres, 180 acres under cultivation, the remainder being grass land, of which twenty acres are in pasture, under fence. He has been dealing in cattle the past three years, and has at present seventy head, and nearly one hundred head of hogs. He feeds and markets about eighty head of hogs annually. Mr. W. has one of the best farm houses in Dodge County, and a large barn which he has recently completed. He is well known throughout the county. Is a prominent leader of the Democratic party, and takes great interest in political matters. He is a member of Centennial Lodge, No. 59, I. O. O. F., at Fremont. He and his wife are members of the Congregational Church.
G. W. RANDALL, proprietor of the Lake View Creamery, P. O. Fremont. The factory is located on Section 36, Elkhorn Precinct, Dodge County, four miles from Arlington, their shipping depot on the Sioux City & Pacific Railway, eight miles from Fremont, was established here by the present proprietor in May, 1882. Although in its infancy, this enterprise has now the milk of about two hundred and fifty cows' and manufactures 200 pounds of butter per day. It is carried on upon the most improved plans of working. Mr. Randall is a native of Herkimer County, N. Y., and was identified with the present industry there till 1881, when he came here and located and took up the stock industry, which he still actively carries on.