Location and Natural Features | Water Powers|
Grain and Fruit Raising | Early History
Early History of Fremont | A Reminiscence|
Organization | Means of Communication|
County Schools--County Poor
The County Agricultural Society
Fremont: Corporate History | Schools | City Park|
Fremont (cont.): The Press | Fire Department | Fires|
The First and The Last Murder | Societies
Business of Fremont | Banks | Shed's Opera House
Fremont (cont.): Hotels | Board of Trade|
Manufactories | Biographical Sketches
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
North Bend: Early History | The North Bend of Today|
North Bend (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Scribner: Biographical Sketches|
Pebble: Biographical Sketches
Hooper: Biographical Sketches|
Cuming Precinct: (Biographical Sketches)
Everett Precinct | Maple Precinct
Union Precinct | Webster Precinct | Elkhorn Precinct
List of Illustrations in Dodge County Chapter
This village, second in importance in Dodge County, is located on the north bend of the Platte River, from which fact it derives its name. Before the North Bend Town Company was formed, or a solitary shanty erected on its present site, the locality was a favorite camping place for the endless tide of emigration which poured along the old military road toward Utah and California. Water and grass were here abundant, and everything favorable for an agreeable stopping-place. It was these facts, probably, which finally induced speculators to select the spot as the site for a town. About sixteen capitalists from Omaha, among them Gov. Izard, Secretary Cuming, John I. Redick and Judge Matthews, formed themselves into a company for the purpose of carrying on a profitable speculation and indirectly of building up a town. On the 1st of April, 1856, Messrs. Redick and Matthews located the site but the land was not surveyed until the following July. In the meantime occurred an event which almost completely dispersed the town organization. Lots were, however, sold to parties who never saw them, at from $50 to $100, so that by the time actual settlers commenced to journey that way, the town company had disposed of $60,000 worth of property.
On July 3, 1856, a few Scotch families from Illinois camped about four miles east of North Bend. They were Robert Millar, wife and four children; George Young, wife and three children; John Millar and wife; William and Alexander Millar and Miss Eliza Miller. The latter, with her brothers, had driven a herd of cattle from their home in Illinois. Finding no wood--only water--they retired that night on a cold diet, but arose early the next morning and reached the present site of North Bend at about 9 o'clock A. M. Although pleased with the appearance of the country, the party thought they might do better and passed on. They soon returned, however, and erected two log huts near the present site of James Sloss's farm.
The next month, George J. Turton came from Perry, N. Y. He was an agent of the town company, a practical surveyor, a man of energy--just the sort of an addition the colony needed. He and William Millar built the town house under contract, in which the first county election was held. In 1866, it was taken down and removed, as the building was in the way of the railroad. In July, 1857, James Humphries, M. S. Cotterell, Alex Morrison and John M. Smith brought a steam saw-mill from Cleveland, Ohio, by an ox-team. Mr. Cotterell's companions preceded him. The party had in their possession about $4,000 in gold, which they carried in a pouch, each man taking his turn in protecting the treasure. When they arrived at Omaha, they determined to take an "account of stock", so Messrs. Humphries, Morrison and Smith went off together, and, choosing a lumber pile for a counter, they proceeded to business. The operation over, the party proceeded onward. They had neglected, however, to appoint a custodian of the funds, and each of the three in some way became convinced that his companion had the treasure and the treasury with him. Before they had gone far, the astounding discovery was made that the bank and its deposits--everything upon which the mill and all hopes rested--had been left behind, plainly exposed to the greedy eyes of any chance and thievish wanderer who might be passing along the highway. Three pairs of legs shook and three hearts jumped into three throats and remained there until the three pair of legs brought the three pioneers to where the $4,000 in gold remained, safe and entire. There was some relief in the bosoms of those three persons. They proceeded on their way and soon after (in nearly two weeks), Mr. Cotterell arrived in Omaha. Of course he immediately inquired for his companions, going to one of those numerous land offices in that city. He says that the walls thereof were hung all around with paper towns. Among them was "Oreopolis," which he found to be on his course toward North Bend, the destination of himself and companions. Mr. Cotterell, armed with a small arsenal, started on his journey alone, intending to put up at "Oreopolis" in some first-class hotel and proceed on his journey the next day. He met a party of five Indians on his way and divided his provisions with them, knowing that he would soon have good "accommodations." This did not seem to satisfy his newly found "friends." One of them slapped Brother Cotterell on the pocket, and made him to understand that it was money he was after. Brother Cotterell had in the meantime been surrounded, but now made up his mind that he would break through the circle of his enemies and keep his money. He sprang outside the circle, whereupon one of the savages bent down and commenced to tighten up his bow. Brother Cotterell drew his shooting irons and threatened the would-be murderer in a tone of voice that would-be murderer understood, for he and his four companions drew their blankets around them and disappeared over the hills. Well, Mr. Cotterell determined to avoid hereafter all dusky brothers, and looked with more eagerness than ever for the great town of "Oreopolis". He never found it, but was thankful enough finally to put up at Col. Fifield's ranch. Arriving at North Bend, July 12, Mr. Cotterell joined his companions, who had reached the town June 29. The mill was erected and all the money and strength and hopes of the newly-arrived colony went into the enterprise. It was the first mill erected in the Platte Valley, and its proprietors (Mr. Cotterell being a millwright) had been induced to locate by the present of 100 lots, the island in the river near the town, and a crimson-colored representation of the financial results which the town company held out as a certainty. Attached to the power was a small iron mill for grinding corn. The mill was in demand even by the people at Fremont, but, although it proved of great advantage to the early settler for miles around, the originators of the enterprise lost money. It was burned in the fall of 1860 in a prairie fire. Such was the disappointment felt in the financial results of the project that, as Mr. Cotterell says, when he saw the fire coming, he felt a positive relief, and when the mill burned "was glad to see it go."
The following extract from the Centennial history of John Mason Smith, sets forth the most important changes which took place in North Bend within the next two years:
On the 2d day of August, 1857, another important addition was made to the settlement by the arrival of Mrs. Alexander Morrison, Mrs. J. M. Smith, and Mrs. James Humphries with her five children. In anticipation of their coming, the town house had been chinked and shingled. But they were much disappointed with the looks in general; still, with stout hearts, they accepted the situation, and went to work earnestly and energetically, cheered by the hope that by and by they would get their reward for all their toils and privations. Mrs. Morrison and Mrs. Humphries brought chickens with them from Cleveland; these were the first chickens in the town and settlement. What with the prattle of children, the cackling of hens, the crowing of roosters, things commenced to wear a little of the aspect of civilization.
In the month of September another addition was made to the settlement, by the arrival of John Sloss, from Cleveland, Ohio; he went to work for the saw-mill company; he located on a piece of land four miles east of North Bend, now known as the Sloss farm, and occupied at present by Joseph Skinner.
Another addition and the last in 1857, was made by the arrival of Robert Graham and wife, and James H. Graham, from Columbiana County, Ohio. They located on land about two miles west of North Bend.
The winter of 1857-58 was open and pleasant. About the only cold weather experienced was in the first part of February; this was a good thing for the settlement; had the winter been severe, there is no doubt that there would have been a considerable suffering.
On the 1st of January, 1858, the number of persons in the settlement was twenty-eight; of this number, fifteen were children under twelve years of age. In the spring of 1858, the town site was jumped and taken from the town company; they did not comply with the law, and failed to make improvements in the town which the law required. It was jumped by M. S. Cotterell and J. M. Smith. In fact, the town company had no legal claim, for when they located the town the land had not been surveyed by the Government. The company did not make much fuss over the loss of their town. It may be supposed they had sold all the lots they could sell, and not seeing much more money in the speculation, they let the thing go without showing much fight. J. M. Smith gave up his claim and right in the town site to Mr. Alexander Morrison, and located on the farm on which he now lives, in the month of June, 1858. The first post office in North Bend was established in the spring of 1858, G. J. Turton, Postmaster. The first mail that came to this office was on the 4th of July following; the Northwestern Stage Company put coaches on the road and ran them tri-weekly between Omaha and Fort Kearney. They had a station at North Bend; Mr. Alexander Morrison was the first station-keeper. About the time that the Pike's Peak excitement broke out, they ran a daily mail. This was a thing much needed in the settlement; before the company began to run their coaches, the nearest place that the settlers could get mail was Omaha; fifty miles is a little too far to go to get the mail everyday, and sometimes weeks passed before any mail was received; this was very hard upon one or two individuals whose wives were in the east. Mr. M. S. Cotterell, Jr., was one of the band who whistled "The girl I left behind me."
In the fall of 1857, no mail had been received in the settlement for some time. Mr. Cotterell was very anxious to hear from his family who were yet in Cleveland. "He guessed he would take a walk as far as Omaha and get the mail." So off he started, and walked all the way and got the North Bend mail; but there was none for him. What do you think he did? Well, he just turned around and walked back again.
Thomas Patterson and Peter J. Martz settled in the vicinity of North Bend in the summer of 1858, and located on land about three miles east of North Bend, at present owned and occupied by William Coie and Clark Johnson. Another addition was made to the settlement about the 1st of October, 1858, by the arrival of James Sloss, his wife and two children; they came from Cleveland, Ohio. Mr. Sloss located on the farm which he now occupies, one mile west of North Bend.
On the 31st of December the number of persons in North Bend and vicinity was thirty-seven, twelve of these were under twelve years of age; the only addition made to the settlement in 1859 was made by the arrival of Mr. David Dickerson and family from New Jersey, and John B. Waterman, from New York. In the spring of 1860, the first public school was opened; it was located on the west line of Robert Millar's farm, being a small frame building 12x18 feet. The school opened with nine scholars, with Miss Mary Heaton, now Mrs. J. J. Hawthorne, of Fremont, as teacher. Her salary was $1.25 per week and board.
Brief reference has been made to the fact that Mr. Cotterell and J. M. Smith jumped the town site. When the town company in Omaha heard of it, they arose in their wrath and wrote to Mr. Cotterell letters of gore, swearing that they would send their vigilance committee after him and "chuck" him under the ice, unless he vacated. Letter followed letter, and, as Mr. C. had frequent occasion to visit Omaha on business, he often heard the talk from the very lips of the members of the company. They knew, it happened, that he was Mr. Cotterell, but were not aware that he was the individual who had jumped the town site. Upon one occasion, he attended one of the indignation meetings called by the North Bend Company, and, as the proceedings took a peculiarly vicious shot at him, he arose and told them that he was the man and the committee could proceed if they so desired there and then. He thought he had as many friends in Omaha as they, and he was willing to "test the matter." When the committee found that Mr. C. was a man not to be "bulldozed," he received many very conciliatory letters, offering to "forgive and forget" if (it amounted to this) he would allow them to get hold of some of the best land of the town site. But as the survey had not yet been made, he knew too much to yield ground.
An event, however, had occurred some time previous to this date, which must be made a matter of record, it being the settlement of the first married couple in North Bend. In May, 1857, George J. Turton returned from the East with his young bride, and went to housekeeping in a room which he had fitted up in the town house.
John B. Waterman and Miss Eliza R. Graham were united in marriage July 28, 1859, this being the first marriage in the settlement.
The first birth which occurred at the Bend was that by which Seth Young became a resident of the settlement, November 30, 1856. On the 20th of December, 1856, Mrs. Young died, hers being the first death.
George Canfield opened the first place of business in North Bend--a grocery tore--on July 4, 1866.
In the spring of 1867, Robert Graham started the first blacksmith shop.
In 1867, Williams and Perkins built the first hotel.
John Burger shipped the first wheat to Omaha about the same time, and Robert Hall the first live stock.
In the spring of 1868, Dr. Bell, of North Carolina, settled in North Bend, being the first resident physician.
Mr. Cotterell's experience during the first few years at North Bend was not of a nature calculated to inspire love for the country in which he had settled. He had no team for plowing, and considered himself highly favored when a neighbor would loan him the use of an old one-eyed mule with which to do some work. He raised some fine hills of water-melons, however, and his wife sold the "fruit" at a round price to thirsty travelers from California. The $70 thus obtained was a good start. He finally purchased a bony pair of cows, which could hardly stand when he bought them, but proved "thoroughbreds" and valuable property. Soon after, a pair of young steers, purchased from the Captain of an emigrant train who was "hard-up" gladdened the hearts of Mr. and Mrs. Cotterell. Enabled to clear the mortgage from his farm by a profitable corn contract made with the Government, Mr. Cotterell lifted himself into fair circumstances and became one of the fortunates in the new country.
In August, 1874, N. Merriam shipped the first carload of grain to Chicago, and in October, the first carload of hogs. The first cattle to Chicago were shipped by William Cori, in June, 1876. This was the commencement of a large business which has grown up between the two points. Mr. Cotterell erected the first frame house in town, or indeed in Dodge County, in 1857. The next year, he brought his family from Cleveland, Ohio, and occupied the paper town site which he had jumped.
During the next year, Mr. Ely (since County Judge), having married Miss Millar, settled in North Bend and commenced farming.
Little change took place in or around North Bend until the Union Pacific was put through, in 1866. During October of that year, the town was platted, G. M. Dodge, Chief Engineer, of the Union Pacific Railroad, being the surveyor. Of the 240 acres including the town site, 160 belonged to Mr. Cotterell and eighty to S. S. Colwell, of Omaha.
Since that time the growth of the village has been steady, North Bend has now a population of 700 people. It contains about twenty-five business houses, among them being five general stores, two grocery stores, one furniture, two drug stores, two restaurants, two hotels, one bank, two hardware stores, two wagon shops, three blacksmith shops, two harness shops, a barber shop, meat market, a tailor shop, shoemaker shop, two grain and livestock dealers, etc., etc. The North Bend Hotel was built in 1870, and is at present operated by A. L. Norris. The City Hotel, built in 1876, is owned by John Sievers. The bank is owned by C. C. Kendall.
One of the most important agents of North Bend business prosperity is the wagon bridge across the Platte River, which was constructed in 1880, at an expense of $16,000, and is 2,810 feet in length, although partially destroyed by the river flood in 1881. Negotiations are already being made to repair it.
The means of access to the people south of the Platte has rendered North Bend an extensive shipping point. This branch of business is represented by two large elevators, one of 40,000 bushels capacity, built in 1880, and operated by Downing & Purcell; the other, of 10,000 bushel capacity, built in 1879 by C. Cusack & Co., and now owned by C. C. Kendall. Both firms also handle live stock. One of the largest live-stock dealers in the county is the firm of Smith & Mallon. They deal not only in cattle but in improved horses. The present firm was formed in July, 1881. John Keith, a leading young business man, has charge of the yards. In a word, North Bend is a living business town.
Rev. T. E. Heaton, of Fremont, held religious services in North Bend soon after the settlers had fairly located. The first regular pastor of the Presbyterian Church was Rev. Mr. Proudfit, who was followed by Rev. Isaac Wilson. The latter remained as pastor until 1877. After a vacancy of a year, Rev. Mr. Inches assumed charge, and has since remained. The congregation, one of the largest of this denomination in the State, numbers 100 members, and the Sunday school is successfully maintained with 60 scholars and 8 teachers. Until 1874, the North Bend Methodist Church was a part of the Fremont Circuit. At that time it was separated and placed under the charge of Rev. D. S. Davis, who remained six months. He was followed by Rev. William Peck, who also remained only half a year. Rev. J. G. A. Fleharty followed, remaining two years. After him, Rev. Harriger preached one year; Rev. J. A. Adair two, and Rev. William Peck one. Rev. D. S. Davis then returned, and is the present pastor. There are two appointments connected with the church. The total membership is 55. The Sunday school at North Bend has 60 scholars and 6 teachers.
In the fall of 1881, the North Bend School District erected a new schoolhouse. It is conveniently located, and is a building of which any city might well be proud. Its size and internal arrangements are specially adapted to the purposes to which it is put. The building, which is of wood, was erected at an expense of $4,800. It is divided into four rooms, each having a seating capacity of sixty-four scholars. The building contains a fine bell, weighing 300 pounds. Miss Lizzie McGuire, assisted by Mrs. L. Taylor, and Miss Maggie McClutchey, constitute the present corps of teachers, and furnish daily instruction to 200 pupils. The School Board at present consists of D. L. Norris, Chairman; C. C. Kendall, Director, and James Sloss, Treasurer.
As an indication of the enterprise of the place, the fire department should be noted. It was organized in 1880, under the name of the North Bend Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, and possesses, besides the fire bell and building furnished by the town, a hook and ladder truck, 300 feet of hose, and a good Buckeye force pump. Its officers are: A. Crawford, Foreman; B. P. Rice, Secretary, and T. B. Purcell, Treasurer.
In 1879, A. B. Ellwood established a paper known as the North Bend Independent, which was edited but not printed at home. After six months, the paper was bought by Millard & Holcomb, and run by them until 1882, under the name of the Bulletin. During this time, the paper was printed at North Bend. In 1882, the Bulletin was sold to C. W. Hyatt, who has since continued it. It is a seven-column folio, of twenty-four-inch columns, and is ably edited, fully representing the interests of this prosperous business town.
THOMAS ACORN, proprietor of a meat market, and farmer. Established the business in February, 1879, being the first market begun in the village, and now the only one in operation. He located on his present place, Section 9, Town 17, range 6 east, containing 120 acres, in 1873, erecting his house in that year. He has since followed farming and stock-raising. Was born in Jacksonville, Morgan Co., Ill., November 13, 1844, and was raised on a farm which business he followed until he went to Nebraska. He was married in Macon County, Ill., December 11, 1867, to Miss Sarah Fertig, a native of Dauphin County, Penn. They have five children--Frederick, Bertha, William, Edward and Martha Ann. Mr. Acorn enlisted in the spring of 1862, in Company A, Sixty-eighth, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in the three months' service; was mustered out at Springfield, Ill., September 27, 1862.
MATTHEW S. COTTERELL is a son of M. S. Cotterell, who was born in Hopkintown City, R. I., June 24, 1801. His wife, Silvey Hoopper, was born in Connecticut, August 8, 1799. Their son, Matthew S. Cotterell, was born in Livingston County, N. Y., May 15, 1821. At the age of seven, he commenced work in a cotton factory at New Hartford, Oneida Co., N. Y. When fourteen years old, he served an apprenticeship to ship-carpentering and joinery in Cleveland, Ohio. He also represented the Fifth Ward in the City Council of the same city in 1854. At the age of twenty-one, he carried on successfully ship and house building in the above city up to 1857. In March 4, 1845, he was married in Cleveland, Ohio, to a very estimable lady, Miss Catherine McNaughton, who was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, May 15, 1821. Mrs. C. speaks the Pawnee language fluently, and has extended many kindly acts to this tribe. Mr. C. emigrated to Nebraska, July, 1857, in company with Alexander Morrisson, James Humfries and J. M. Smith, and settled on the present town site of North Bend. They erected a steam saw-mill and ran it about one year, and then it was destroyed by a prairie fire. Mr. C. built the first frame house in the Platte Valley in 1857. Also he pe-empted land of the United States Government where North Bend is now located. Subsequent to the loss of the mill, he assumed another branch of business, stock ranching, etc., which he continued little beyond the time of the entrance of the Union Pacific Railroad, which was June, 1867. He remained in North Bend until October, 1870, when he moved to his present fine home on Section 10, Township 17, Range 6 east. He now owns 640 acres of fine grazing and farm land. He erected his present large, commodious residence in the summer of 1870. In the early settlement of that part of Nebraska, Mr. C. took a prominent part, and was noted for his fortitude, bravery and endurance in contending with the early pioneer hardships of Nebraska. Also he aided to organize a military company in Dodge County, Neb., for home protection in the time of the rebellion, and was elected Captain of the same. He represented Dodge County in the Territorial Legislature of Nebraska in 1860. Mr. C. has done much to induce immigration into Nebraska, and both he and his wife are widely known and highly appreciated for their unbounded benevolence and amiable qualities.
A. CRAWFORD, dealer in general line of household furniture, also undertakers' goods, to the amount of $5,000 to supply his trade. He first located in North Bend Precinct on a farm in 1871, with his uncle, since which he has visited many portions of Wyoming and Colorado, and was engaged in railroading, lumbering, etc., until the fall of 1876, when he returned to North Bend and took charge of the toll bridge crossing the Platte River, where he remained two and one half years. Born in Prince Edward Island March 17, 1856. Was married in North Bend November 27, 1879, to Miss Jennie Volkman, a native of Omaha, Neb. They have a son--William. Is a member of the North Bend Fire Company.
CHRISTOPHER CUSAK, dealer in lumber, agricultural implements, etc. Begun business in October, 1879; coming to North Bend in April of 1869, first engaged in various occupations about four years, then went West in the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad Company, as overseer of a grade three years. He then returned to North Bend and engaged in the stock and grain business under the firm name of C. Cusack & Co., two years, when Mr. C. sold to the partner and immediately engaged in his present business. He was born in Halton, Ontario, Can., May 15, 1849, and was raised on a farm. Was married in North Bend, November, 1877, to Miss Eliza J. Scott, a native of Philadelphia, Penn. They have one son--John Scott. Mr. Cusack is a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 15, A., F. & A. M. Has been a member of the Town Board three years.
E. W. DICKERSON, farmer, Section 34, P. O. North Bend, was born in Newark, N. J., October 11, 1835. He is the son of David and Jane Dickerson. His parents moved to Delaware, Maryland, and Chester County, Penn., living there nine years. They next moved to Mt. Carroll, Ill., where they resided until 1860. They then moved to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County. He then married, July 29, 1867, Miss Lucinda Dickerson, daughter of Charles and Clarissa Dickerson. They have four children--Fred, Lizzie, Mary, John. During the first few years of his residence in Dodge County, he was engaged in freighting across the plains to Denver. The rest of the time he has been engaged in farming. He has eighty acres, forty acres in cultivation, the rest grass land. Is now operating his father's farm in addition to his own land.
CHARLES P. DICKERSON, farmer, Section 10, P. O. North Bend, was born in Lancaster County, Penn., August 5, 1845. He came to Nebraska with his parents in 1860. For several years after coming to the State, he freighted to Denver and other points on the plains. He married, September 12, 1872, Mrs. Jane Stocking, widow of Samuel Stocking. They have four children--Edith and Lucy Stocking and David and Annie Dickerson. Mr. D. has a good farm of one hundred and forty acres, twenty acres in cultivation, the rest grass and timber land.
F. F. DOUBRAVA, dealer in general line of family groceries, queensware, notions, etc. Began the business in North Bend in September, 1881. Buys on an average $10,000 worth of goods annually. He first located in Fremont in 1872, and clerked in stores up to 1877. He then engaged in clerking in North Bend one and one-half years, after which he engaged in business for a share of profits with Mr. C. B. Tredwell, until he began business on his own account. He was born in Moravia, Austria, October 15, 1846; came to America in the spring of 1860 with his parents. Was married in Onawa, Iowa, October 15, 1873, to Miss Amelia F. Goodrich. She was born in Wisconsin. They have three children--Harry W., Alonzo A. and Ethel M. Mr. D. is at present a member of the Town Board. Was also a member of the I. O. O. F. of Boscobel, Wis.
MICHAEL DOWLING, firm of Dowling & Purcell, grain and stock buyers. Mr. D. first came to Nebraska in the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad Company in 1867, remained in their employ three years, but had an interest in the grocery business in company with T. B. Purcell from the same date. In 1870, he went out of the employ of the above railroad company, and since has devoted his time to his business in North Bend. He was born in Coxsackie, Greene Co., N. Y., August 27, 1846. Was brought up on a farm. He followed steamboating between New York City and South Amboy some time. He then went to Cairo, Ill., and clerked in a restaurant about seven months. He then went into the employ of a Government wrecking boat going to Brownsville, Minn., a short time. He then went to Chicago, Ill., and engaged in the employ of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad two months, after which he turned his thoughts to the West, and thither went as before narrated. He was married in Omaha, Neb., December 31, 1871, to Miss Mary Purcell, a native of Greene County, N. Y. They have three children--May, Harry and an infant son. Mr. D. is a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 15, F. & A. M., also of Signet Chapter, No. 8, and the Commandery, Mt. Tabor Lodge, No. 9, of Fremont.
A. B. ELWOOD, M. D., physician and surgeon, and dealer in a general line of drugs. The Doctor first settled in Oakdale, Antelope Co., Neb., in April, 1871, and practiced his profession about six years. Went to Waterloo, Neb., in October, 1877, and followed his profession until June, 1879, when he moved to North Bend and began the drug business and the practice of his profession, and is now doing a business of about $12,000 per year. He was born in New Lexington, Highland County, Ohio, August 15, 1845. Began reading medicine at the age of fifteen years with his father (Cyrus Elwood), who was a graduate of Rush Medical College of Columbus, Ohio. The Doctor entered the Eclectic College of Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1869, and graduated the following spring, after which he emigrated to Red Oak, Iowa. He there held the position of Deputy Recorder of Montgomery County a year, after which he located in Oakdale. He was married in Council Bluffs, Iowa, in 1869, to Miss Mary E. Harris, a native of South Bend, Ind., born April 29, 1846. They have a daughter--Laura A. He enlisted August, 1864, in Company D, One hundred and Seventy-fifth Regiment Ohio Infantry, and participated in the battle of Franklin, Tenn., in November, 1864, and was there wounded in the forehead. Was mustered out in Camp Denison, Ohio, in August, 1865. He originated the North Bend Bulletin in the fall of 1878, and edited the same eight months, and sold out.
JOHN B. FOOT, dealer in lumber, lime and agricultural implements, began the business in 1876, and does a yearly business of from $20,000 to $30,000 in lumber and implements. He emigrated from Warren County, N. Y., to Colfax County, Neb., with a very limited capital, in May, 1870, and now, as will be seen, is one of the thrifty business men of the village. He first settled in Colfax County, in Town 19, Range 4, Maple Creek Precinct, and farmed some time, after which he moved to Schuyler and worked about a year in a lumber yard, then came to his present place of business in January, 1876, and began business in the latter part of July of that year. He was born in Washington County, N. Y., January 7, 1833, and was raised on a farm, and followed lumbering during the winters of his latter life in his native State. Was married in North Bend, July 3, 1877, to Miss D. W. Sexton, a native of Warren County, N. Y. They have two children--George E. and Jessie G. Mr. F. enlisted September 29, 1862, in Company F, One hundred and Sixty-ninth Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry, and participated in twenty-seven general engagements, being wounded twice. He was promoted to Second Lieutenant, and soon afterward to First Lieutenant for meritorious conduct during battles. He has three regular discharges from the Union army. Was mustered out at Raleigh, N. C., August 6, 1865. He never had or asked for a furlough during his eventful army life. He is a member of Fremont Lodge, I. O. O. F. He is also a member of the Lumberman's Association of Chicago, Ill.
P. GILLIS, firm of Gillis & Purcell, dealers in general merchandise. He located in North Bend in 1869, and engaged as a foreman of a railroad section for the Union Pacific Railroad up to 1879, but was previously interested as a partner in the above firm. He was born in Nova Scotia June 15, 1848. Was engaged in mining in the latter country about eight years previous to going to Nebraska. Was married in North Bend, Neb., in 1874, to Miss Maggie Harvey, a native of Scotland. They have one son--John P. Mr. G. is a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 15, A., F. & A. M. Was one of the first members of the Town Board.
ROBERT GRAHAM, farmer and stock raiser. He first came to Nebraska in October, 1857, and located in Platte Valley, four and a half miles west of North Bend on a pre-emption claim on what was then called a paper town site, where he engaged in farming and blacksmithing, and has worked at the latter more or less since until within a few years. He lived on his first location until the fall of 1858, when he moved three-quarters of a mile east, and engaged in the same business. Bought some land and lived there until the fall of 1867, similarly employed. They then moved on a pre-emption claim four miles northeast of North Bend and lived until the winter of 1875, when they bought their present fine farm located on Section 10, Town 17, Range 6, east, consisting of 160 acres. He also owns 160 acres on Section 22, Township 18, Range 6 east. Since moving to his present place he has raised stock and grain. He was born in Ireland, May 2, 1829. Came to America in 1830, with his parents. Was married in Pittsburgh, Penn., November 24, 1852, to Miss Elizabeth Wright, who was born July, 1836. They have six children--Nellie J. (now teaching in Colfax County), Maggie A., Ida M., Wilson N., Joseph T., and Albert J. Mr. Graham has been County Commissioner one term.
JAMES H. GRAHAM, Section 11, P. O. North Bend, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, August 15, 1834, living there until 1855, when he came West stopping in Iowa one year. He came to Nebraska in 1856, locating at his present residence in August. He married in Dodge County, Neb., March 6, 1860, Miss Delilah Stewart, who was born in Illinois. They have five children--Francis Andrew, Sarah Jane, Jessie, Ann and Ada. He and his family are members of the United Presbyterian Church. During the first few years of residence in Dodge County, he was Postmaster at the old post office at Emerson. In politics, he is a Republican. Mr. G. has a large farm consisting of 500 acres, 300 acres in cultivation, a portion of which is in tame grass, 150 acres in pasture under fence, and the rest hay land. His farm is well improved, good house, barn, etc. He deals in and raises large numbers of live stock, carrying 100 head of cattle, about the same number of hogs and some horses.